Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-25-2004, 07:07 AM   #1  

Default I am shortlisted for a TV informercial...

I live in London UK and saw an ad in a local newspaper by a TV production company looking for volunteers between 25 and 60 years old who were prepared to diet and exercise seriously for two months and be filmed. Just out of curiosity I replied putting in some good - and true - reasons as to why they might be interested and thought no more of it. Anyway they just called me up to say I have been shortlisted, the producer will come see me next week, apparently it's for an infomercial on a shopping channel for some sort of hand weight thing. So if I were picked, and wanted to do it, my kids wouldn't get too embarrassed as it isn't exactly high-profile stuff!

Don't know too much about it - yet - but I would guess it's some sort of American product going on sale in the UK! I also read in a magazine this week - tell me if this is true - that the latest craze in the US is for people to walk round all day wearing ankle weights!

Any guesses, people?

Louise
lou49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:46 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

The wearing of weights on ankles is not a recent craze at all. I did that for a while 10 years ago or so... All it did was make my hip bones very sore so I stopped that practice pretty quickly...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 06:50 AM   #3  
it's always something

I agree, I remember when that was popular several years ago. I guess there's a reason why it's not still popular. Maybe some of the ladies in our Exercise or Ladies Who Lift forums could provide more insight if you post there.

If you DO go through with this, would you keep us posted? I bet there are a lot of us that are curious about the fitness infomercial process Regardless, good luck with your weight loss!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:35 AM   #4  

Hi Suzanne and everyone! Well, it's a system of hand-held weights that you use when you are walking, invented by a doctor, tons of stuff about it on the net which seems to be good as far as I can see. It has been going for about 20 years and I think is relaunching/relaunched in the States earlier this year.

Well, I said that I was up for it - they will confirm it on Friday. They film you for a couple of hours once a month, you get the equipment, and you get paid which I hadn't thought about. You have to lose about two pounds a week and be prepared to really commit to it for two months. Heaven knows I need to lose the weight so I am prepared to really go for it!

Louise
Old 11-30-2004, 10:19 AM   #5  
Proud Mama

Louise, I do that, just for the experience! Sounds like fun! Fad or not, you only live once, right! I'd do it!
Uggamugga4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:00 AM   #6  

They didn't want me! Boo hoo! Had a call from the production company on Friday saying that I wasn't in the final eight for filming, but would I be prepared to be a 'standby' if one of them dropped out. 'Sure' I said. I will hae to keep an eye on that particular shopping channel next spring to see the infomercial! Oh, it's for something called Heavyhands - looked quite good though!

Louise
Old 12-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #7  
Proud Mama

Louise- bummer!! That could have been either really fun, or really fun but a little embarrasing. that's a bummer though.
Uggamugga4 is offline   Reply With Quote