Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-22-2004, 08:10 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL #178 Thanksgiving Week 2004

Good Morning!
I couldn't sleep last night worrying about when I was going to wedge in my leg workout today and the few times I did fall asleep I kept having a half-waking nightmare that my gym had turned into a Curves look-alike: all the squat racks and dumbbells were gone, no more olympic bars, no more 45 pound plates! Just lots of nicely upholstered machines I still haven't figured out when I'll do legs, but I'm pretty sure the rest was a dream. I guess NOW would be the obvious, but I'm not sure I'd make it through 6 clients after that.

Yesterday was super-cleaning day here. MUCH needed. I even steam cleaned the carpets in several rooms, and some area rugs including the kitchen. Then DS dumped a yogurt on the rug this morning. I was nearly in tears. I just love the build-up to holidays Also got some cooking done, and some things stuffed away in the freezer.

Mother and step-father get here tonight from Colorado, dd gets here tomorrow night, then it's 5 days of craziness.

I think I'll do legs between my 12:30 and 3:00 clients...ok, that's settled!

Have a good one, LWL!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:13 PM   #2  

Hi Mel, everybody -
I agree, craziness! I'm flying Wednesday to visit with family for the holiday and am trying to get everything done beforehand. Doubt that I'll get lifting done while I'm gone, but hopefully I can get some walking in. Does cutting down a Christmas tree count for HIIT?
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:02 AM   #3  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Hey Everybody!!! Happy Thanksgiving.

I only have a second...I bought the Perricone Prescrition book last night and will read it today. I am very sckeptical after reading many reviews so I may return it for Body for Life. I bought that book a cuple of years ago and felt so overwhelmed that I sold it in a yard sale a few months later. I regret that because I never gave the book a chance.

Ilene- you mentioned Fit for Life and Win the Fat War...how do you lke these books compaired to BFL?

Also, I was wondering which of you got the body you wanted from the BFL book?

Last edited by SupaStar; 11-23-2004 at 08:05 AM.
SupaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:14 AM   #4  
Lovin' Zumba!

Good morning LWL!

I'm back from my trip to the big city, and happy to say that I did pretty well food-wise while I was there. A few extra carbs snuck into some meals, but I'm really pleased with myself for being so "good"!

Sandy - I am a huge fan of BFL - I call Bill Phillips my "guru". I did not get the body I wanted by following his plan, but as I had a lot to lose, that would have been pretty unrealistic. I did do 4 back-to-back challenges - lost about 50 pounds and went down 4 sizes. See our photo gallery at MSN to see the progress I made - I think my photos are all still there.

I highly recommend BFL because it did several wonderful things for me - it taught me to eat 6 meals a day, it taught me to eat protein and carbs in every meal, it taught me to lift weights and build muscle, it taught me that scale weight doesn't matter - that bodyfat % and what size I wear are a better indication of progress. The free days/meals are a great way to keep yourself from feeling deprived, and gradually you find you don't even need them anymore. Most of all, BFL taught me that this is "for life", and that this is a lifestyle change, not just a "diet" to go on.
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:44 PM   #5  

Been tied up with lots of things so I haven't posted, though I have been getting to the gym about 3 times a week, my bare minimum for keeping up. Haven't lost any weight, but still wearing the size 14's so that is something to build on.

Food has been wild, no excuses, just not focusing on the planning part. Off this afternoon to find some soy flour to use instead of wheat flour for some of Thursday's dishes. I have to keep focused on the people part.

NELIE - So good to see you posting, doing better is so much better than the alternatives.

SANDY - I like the BFL workout and the food plan is fine though not suited to my lifestyle. I just am not that organized or organized that way. I really need to slash carbs more to lose pounds at this point and since that isn't difficult for me to do, most of the time I follow Atkins.

Anyway, just found out we have two more for dinner on Thursday, not enough to throw things off.

I hope everyone who is traveling takes care and that everyone has a great time. Our high school football game is away this year and my BIL and nephew's birthday celebration is going to be after dinner, so I guess I will be lucky to stay in one place.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:29 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Sandy71 you asked:

Quote:
Ilene- you mentioned Fit for Life and Win the Fat War...how do you lke these books compaired to BFL?
Fit for Life and Win the Fat War cannot be compared to BFL at all, they are not the same type of books... FFL and WTFW are about people's experiences with maintaining and loosing. Giving all types of suggestions and tricks from maintainers, who've been there done that, sort of thing... BFL is a cut and dry plan of eating and exercising... They are all very different books with different purposes...HTH...

Exercise for me this week has been really off! I made it to the gym on Sunday only and did chest and cardio...Food has been spot on... I'm not even sure when I'll get back to the gym, maybe thursday morning, I'm off that day, I have no excuse, although the agenda is full... And it's not even ThanksGiving here!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 06:07 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I must correct a mistake above... one of the books I am reading is THIN for life and not FIT for Life... Although I did read Fit for Life by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond years ago, it is about a food plan, and I think it was basically vegetarian... Sorry about the misunderstanding if I did type in FIT instead of THIN a while back, which doesn't surprise me because I'm the one that screws ups Mel and Meg all the time ... What can I say
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 06:39 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Well, I'm home, and wish I could say I did totally well, but . . . Life goes on. I did end up running through some airport terminals - think late planes, short layovers, far apart gates!

I wanted to be back at the gym tonight, but realized half way through the day that I have to attend a city council meeting for a quarterly report tonight. Sigh. I'll do a few things at home as a "place holder" anyway.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:49 PM   #9  
Mel

Sandy- I didn't get the body I'd dramed of with BFL, but I sure ended up with an improved version after my first 12 week challenge. I was already at my goal weight when I started the program, but still far too "squishy". At the end of 12 weeks I was exactly the same scale weight, had lost 8% body fat, and wore 2 sizes smaller jeans. I've only done 1 "by the book" challenge, but I think it's a great introduction to healthy eating, weightlifting and fitness as an integrated program.

Did chest and cardio today. Now that I can't keep piling more weight on my legs, I've taken on trying to improve my bench pressing. My goal for the end of the year is to press my weight, so I've either got to lose a bunch quickly (hasn't happened in the last 3 years, not likely) or really work at getting another 15 pounds on that bar (and lifting it a few times ) It's probably crazy and I'll probably just wreck another body part, but I like to have some major goal in the gym other than not getting hurt!

Eating's been good. Tomorrow is a major cooking day, then a free-ish day!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:22 AM   #10  

Good morning, everyone.

Mel, I had to laugh when I read your line about needing a major goal at the gym other than not getting hurt. I feel that way sometimes! I am very challenge-oriented, I absolutely love a challenge and am very competitive with myself. It is one of the things I am enjoying so much about exercising and lifting, the opportunity to really challenge myself and to see progress. However, after a horrible hip/back/sciatic nerve injury that sidelined me for awhile and took months to heal, I have an incredibly healthy respect for NOT causing a re-injury.

My trainer was ill on Tuesday, and while I was sorry he was ill, I was so glad he cancelled our session that evening. Working full time-plus and doing the Thanksgiving dinner are a tough combination. I love the holidays, and will cheerfully do it all again next year, but I am exhausted. He called me at work on Wed and said he was feeling better, and asked if I wanted to come in to make up the session. I just laughed. The night before Thanksgiving, I needed to get home and get working! The gym is open this weekend, and I will be there after work today, as well as either Sat or Sun. The "slug" of a boyfriend will be here this weekend. I'd like to take him with me to see if I can't get him motivated.

I am starting school on Monday. I am so excited to start this new undertaking. It is something I have always wanted to do. I hope the same process I so enjoy with working out, the self-challenges and that sort of thing, will extend themselves to this.

Food was fairly good over the holiday. Lots of leftovers in the house. Will send most of it with my kids when they visit their father this weekend. I just don't want it around, although it doesn't seem to be "calling my name" the way it might have in the past. I tasted what I wanted, and that is enough.

Take care all,

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 11:01 AM   #11  
Lovin' Zumba!

Default Pastel eggs

Happy Black Friday everyone!

Hope you all did ok with your Thanksgiving feasts yesterday. I did, aside from a bit of overindulging in appetizers - ww pitas with humus and triscuits w/cheese. Not bad choices, just too much of them!

My Pumpkin Parfait was great - thanks Ilene for letting me know it was good - gave me the confidence to go with it instead of relying on something full of sugar. It tasted just like pumpkin pie, just without the crust. I made it in fancy footed glasses, so it was quite nice! I think it would be great made with sweet potato as well - in fact, I think I may try that this weekend.

About the title of my post - I forgot to mention to you gals that when I stayed in NYC this past weekend, at a fairly posh hotel in midtown, I saw this on the room service breakfast menu. When I inquired as to what pastel eggs were, I was told that it was scrambled eggs made with one yolk and four whites - the paler yellow color inspiring that name. So now my weekend breakfasts have a new name - pastel eggs!

I'm being driven insane this morning by something in my living room beeping - like it has a low battery, but I have absolutely no idea what it could be, or where it is! It's not my smoke detectors (first thing I checked), so who knows what it is. Each time I think I've pinpointed the location, the sound seems to move. And with a full minute between beeps, it's getting a bit tedious trying track this thing! It's got to stop eventually, right???

Hope you all have a great weekend - I have no real plans, aside from just enjoying my days off!
Cindy

Last edited by BfL_Cat; 11-26-2004 at 11:04 AM.
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote