Old 11-21-2004, 12:09 PM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default Question about elipticals

Do any of you have an eliptical machine at home? What kind do you have? I have tried one at the Y and liked it ~ thinking about getting one at home, but not sure what would be a good one.

Thanks for any info you can give.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:24 PM   #2  
Want to see less of me

S/C/G: 260/255/185

I have tried the elipticals at the Y, but I find them very hard to do ... I dunno why ... I recently bought a Gazelle from Wal MArt ... I guess it is along the same premise .. low impact and easier to do for me .... I love it ....

just me two cents!!
Orangecupcakez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 08:24 PM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile

I haven't yet used an elliptical, but in researching them in preparation for a possible upcoming gift from Santa I have been checking out this and this.

From what I understand, the things you have to look out for in purchasing a home elliptical are noise, smooth and consistent stride, and sturdiness/stability (like no swaying from side to side when you really get going.) And this machine is supposed to really support the "you get what you pay for" school of purchasing. I don't have a grand to pay for one of these, so I'm trying to figure out where it makes sense to compromise, and where that's just not the best idea.

Hope this helps -- good luck to all of us trying to make the right decision! If anyone else has any info to impart, I'd love it if you shared!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 10:36 PM   #4  

I agree with Sarah. I was doing some researching the other day and came across the same information. I love the elliptical. I use it at the gym all the time! Good luck with your search. Let us know how it goes.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:01 PM   #5  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Here's a resource for some good comparisons of ellipticals. By the way, I'm considering buying mine from them because they have interest-free payment plans!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:56 AM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Just an FYI - Costco had the eplitical my YMCA uses... I can't remember it's name now. If you have one in your area, you might check it out.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 05:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I bought a 300 dollar elliptical... for christmas last year (my family all gave me a little money, it was great ) Anyways!! Mine broke, while I was on it, it was faulty, and I ended up rehurting an old injury, not to mention got a few nice bruises and had to take a week off exercising completely. Just picture your front leg fully extended, and your back leg extended, and it breaking so you end up doing the splits, I think it broke my crotch. My Advice? Definitely put some research into it, I thought I had, so really dig! Goodluck

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:48 AM   #8  
Abby's Mommy

OMG, Aimee!!! "broke your crotch!"
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:25 PM   #9  

Oh, Aimee!! I can't stop laughing! How would you put a cast on a broken crotch?? I'm picturing an adult diaper with suspenders... LOL!!!!!!!!

Gayle I've got an ellipse that I received as a gift from my family. It's a very nice one, but I think I could have done with one that wasn't as fancy. I'd look for the sturdiest one you can comfortably afford (to avoid the "crotchal breakage" Aimee experienced) and pass on a lot of bells and whistles. We've got stores here that specialize in used gym equipment. Much like a used car that is still in great shape, you might find something with higher quality at a discounted price.
SkinnyBoPeep is offline   Reply With Quote