Simply Filling and Core Recipes - CORE Soups

View Full Version : CORE Soups

aghiowa
11-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Here's where we can put soups, stews, etc.

aghiowa
11-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Here's one I made tonight. It went together pretty quickly, and was good. I added turkey ham, and some salt as well.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn Chowder

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 3/4 cups frozen corn -- thawed
3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
1 small potato -- peeled and diced
1 stalk celery -- chopped
1/2 green pepper or sweet red pepper -- finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups evaporated skim milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch

In a blender or food processor, blend or process 1/2 cup of the corn and 1/4 cup of the broth till smooth.

Set the corn mixture aside.

Lightly spray an unheated med saucepan with no-stick spray.

Add the potatoes, celery, green peppers and onions.

Cook and stir over med heat till the onions are tender.

Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup broth.

Bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat.

Cover and simmer about 10 min or till the potatoes are tender.

Using the back of a fork, slightly mash the potatoes against the side of the saucepan.

In a custard cup, stir together 2 T. of the milk and the cornstarch till smooth.

Then stir the cornstarch mixture into the corn mixture. Add to saucepan.

Add the remaining milk and the remaining 1 1/4 cups corn.

Cook and stir till bubbly and thickened.

Cook and stir for 2 min more.

aghiowa
12-05-2004, 04:51 PM
This one looks good too.

Sizzling Rice Soup
1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
8 cups fat free chicken broth
2 cups cubed cooked chicken (I'm going to use leftover turkey!)
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 can (8 oz) bamboo shoots, drained
1 can (8 oz) sliced water chestnuts, drained
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 package (10 oz) frozen peas
2 t. olive oil

Cook rice according to package directions. Spread on a greased 15X10X1" baking pan. Bake at 325 for 2 hours or till dried and browned, stirring occasionally; set aside. In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the broth, chicken, mushrooms, onions, bamboo shoots, water chesthuts, bouillon and garlic powder. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add peas; cook for 15 min. Just before serving, heat oil in a skillet. Fry rice in hot oil till it slightly puffed. (They say to use 1/4 c. oil, but I bet you could get it to work right with spray and your 2 t.). Ladle soup into serving bowls. Immediately spoon some hot rice into each bowl and it will sizzle. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts.)

Silverain54
12-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Quick and easy to make. If you like a creamy soup, this is great!! I got the recipe from www.allrecipes.com

1 1/2 tbsp light butter or light margarine (pts)
1 medium onion finely chopped (I used onion powder instead cuz I dont like the crunch and texture)
2 tsp all-purpose flour (.5 point)
1/3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried tarragon (optional)
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 (300 g) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup fat free plain yogurt
(2 sliced lemon, cut in half for garnish)

Directions:
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until tender, stirring occassionaly.
2. Stir in the flour, salt, tarragon, nutmeg, and cayenne and heat until fragrant.
3. Stir in spinach (undrained) and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 15 min.
4. Remove soup from the heat, and puree in a food process/blender in batches. Instead, I used one of those hand held mixers and blended right in the pot... less mess and less work!
5. Return to the saucepan and whisk in yogurt. Heat through, but do NOT boil. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
6. Serve and float a lemon slice on each serving. (I skipped this part)

I bet this would be really good with a bit of FF or light parmesan cheese sprinked on top.
Yum Yum! :D

aghiowa
12-30-2004, 04:08 PM
Potato Soup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peel and wash potatoes. Cut the potatoes in the size you want--I use very small. Cover with water and cook until soupy and the potatoes are coming apart. Add butter (use the ff or use points) and milk to the consistency you want. Salt and pepper to taste.

waterlilies
12-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Spinach and Leek White Bean Soup

Prep Time: approx. 10 Minutes. Cook
Time: approx. 15 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 25 Minutes.
Makes 8 (1 cup) servings.
Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Beth4Kids
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 leeks, bulb only, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (16 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
2 (16 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
2 cups packed fresh spinach
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic; saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, cannellini beans, bay leaves and cumin. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and stir in the couscous. Cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

alicia35
01-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Cream of Chicken and Brown Rice Soup

1/2 cup brown rice
1 Tblsp soy sauce
1 1/2 cups water
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 carrots finely chopped
6 stalks asparagus, finely chopped
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
minced parsley
pepper to taste
1 cup chopped chicken breast
4 cups fat-free milk

O.k. I know this sounds difficult with all the ingredients, but I was pleasantly surprised by the goodness of it so I thought I'd pass it along! I hope you enjoy!

Cook the brown rice with the soy sauce and water in a covered pot. Saute the garlic and onion in 1/4 cup chicken broth ( i used chicken bouillon cubes) in a large pot until tender. Add the carrots and asparagus and cook until tender...you probably will need to add more broth. When this vegetable medley is tender...transfer all but 1/4 cup of it to a blender or food processer and puree. Spoon the puree back into your pot and add the rest of your chicken broth and seasonings, chicken, milk and cooked rice. Simmer for 20 minutes. Enjoy!!

Alicia

LKTS
01-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Here are 3 soups I make all the time:

Puree of Carrot Soup:
2T vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 lb carrots, chopped
2 med potatoes, peeled and diced
1 bouillon cube

Heat oil in a soup pot; add onion and carrots and saute, 10-15 minutes. Add the potatoes, bouillon, and 3 cups water; cover and simmer 20-25 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree. Return to pot and simmer for 5 minutes; seaon with salt and pepper.

Venus de Milo Soup
1 lb veggie crumbles or lf hamburger
3 c water
5 c mushroom or beef broth
1 large onion, chopped
1 16 oz package frozen mixed veggies
1 16 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 8oz can tomato sauce
salt and pepper
3/4c quick-cooking barley

Add all ingredients except barley and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add barley and cook for 15 minutes.

Tomato Barley Soup
2 T olive oil
1 c onion, chopped
1 c leek, chopped
1 c carrots, chopped
2 T garlic, chopped
2 T oil
2 c water
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can vegetable broth
1/2 c uncooked barley
4 c cabbage, spinach, chard or other greens, torn

Heat soup pot with olive oil; combine onions, leeks and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer 35-40 minutes, season and serve.

Jo_Pointer
01-18-2005, 02:50 AM
1 1/4 cups salsa (mild or spicy, as preferred)
2 - 15 ounce cans black beans, drained
2 cups vegetable stock

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to low boil; then simmer for 20 minutes. Cool slightly and puree half of the mixture in a blender. Return to pot, mix well and serve.

100% CORE

Enjoy! :chef:

aghiowa
02-27-2005, 08:10 AM
I mixed leftover french onion soup (from the freezer), chicken breast, frozen corn, a can of green beans, a can of tomato soup, and some seasonings. It's simmering now and when I'm done, I'll put it in individual containers to either eat for dinner or take to work for lunch.

aghiowa
02-27-2005, 08:11 AM
I don't usually make big pots of soup since my refrigerator and freezer are always jammed ... not much room! One of my favorite soups is 4 ounces browned 96% lean ground beef, 1/4 cup lentils, 1/4 cup barley, french style frozen green beans, broccoli cole slaw mix, 1 can of vegetable broth plus another can of water, with lots of garlic pepper seasoning. This makes enough for 2 big bowls and is very filling to me. I have it for supper a couple of times a week.

Deborah

aghiowa
02-27-2005, 08:12 AM
I make soup of of ANYTHING and everything, but seems I now have a somewhat "typical recipe", which is (and you need a really big pot!): Take beef shank bone or any "cheaper cut" of beef, I usually "brown" it, add about one sliced onion, cut up baby carrots, cut up two stalks of celery...saute a couple of minutes...then add beef broth (either pre-made - the 1 litre tetra pak size) or water w/beef cubes. Add one large can diced tomatoes.... usually pre-seasoned (w/herbs and garlic), one large can tomato paste or campbell's tomato soup, more water, spices (salt, pepper, garlic, italian seasoning), a few splashes of worcestershire sauce, some splenda if too sour, about 1 cup barley (sometimes I will also add about 1/2 cup split green peas). This week cabbage was on sale (1 cent per pound!!!!), so I have chopped some in there - oh ya - also one can of red kidney beans - or whatever beans you like (drained and rinsed). So you bring this to a boil - then turn it down, cover and simmer for about 2 hours or so? Need to taste to adjust seasonings and/or sweetness. When done I remove meat if on a bone (shank) and cut up the beef, throw it back in the pot and discard bones.

Froufie

Vickie
02-27-2005, 10:08 AM
Mushroom Barley Soup

This is from the WW Simply the Best Cookbook. I absolutely love this recipe and it appears to be all Core!

3/4 Cup Pearl Barley
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
4 Onions, chopped (I never use this much onion because we aren't big fans)
2 Celery Stalks, chopped
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
4 Cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
3 Carrots, sliced (I use the baby carrots)
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 Teaspoon salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
Minced Parsley

In a large saucepan, stir the barley and 4 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the barley is partially cooked, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat the oil. Add the onions and celery; cook, stirring as needed, until softened, 6-8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring as needed, until the mushrooms begin to soften and release their liquid, about 5 minutes.

Add the broth, carrots, tomato paste and barley with its liquid; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring as needed, until the barley and carrots are temder, about 30 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper; serve, garnished with the parsley.

6 servings at 182 calories each. 3g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 264 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrates, 7g fiber, 9g protein 42mg calcium.

Freezes well!

aghiowa
02-27-2005, 12:07 PM
I am making another one tonight because I have some things that need to be used up:

potatoes, peeled and cubed
lean ham, diced
frozen corn
chopped onion
FF evaporated milk

...and thickened with just the teeniest bit of cornstarch.

aghiowa
02-27-2005, 01:15 PM
easy peasy soup

Fill a pot about half full with water or chicken stock if you have it. Then add your split peas about half way up to the water height. Add some chopped onion and maybe chop in a carrot really fine. Then boil and simmer for quite a while and stir. the soup will thicken as the water evaporates. After a while add a handful of chopped Canadian bacon (read ham type bacon) and simmer some more. Add some salt and pepper and what have you.

When it is thick enough, you have pea soup. Really easy, really cheap and really nice. Just dont let it burn as it thickens.

Kally

aghiowa
03-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Onion Barley Soup

Serving Size : 6

4 onions -- sliced
1/2 cup water
6 cups fat-free beef broth
1 cup cooked barley
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

In a large saucepan, saute onions in water about 5 min.

Add beef broth and barley; bring to a boil.

Add seasonings; reduce heat.

Simmer, covered, about 30 min before serving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 82 Calories; trace Fat (2.0% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 865mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

aghiowa
03-23-2005, 11:33 AM
White Turkey Chili

Description:
"Do you think red when you think of chili? Well, think again. This
savory chili soup combines only light-colored ingredients in a spicy
seasoned broth."

Serving Size : 4

2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken
15 ounces canned great northern or white kidney
beans -- rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 ounces green chili peppers -- diced
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 dashes hot pepper sauce
shredded fat-free Monterey Jack cheese -- optional
snipped fresh parsley -- optional

In a large saucepan combine water, turkey, beans, corn, onion, green chile peppers, bouillon granules, cumin, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or till vegetables are tender.

To serve, ladle the chili into serving bowls. If desired, top each serving with cheese and parsley.

Vickie
04-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Beef Barley Soup

1 pound boneless lean beef, cubes
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground/chopped garlic
2 (14.5 ounce) cans of beef broth
6 1/4 cups water
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup dried parsley
1 cup quick cooking barley
1 teaspoon dried thyme

In a skillet over medium head, saute the beef in the oil for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in the salt, pepper and garlic. Add the broth, water, celery, carrots, onion and parsley. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender. Add the quick cooking barley and cook as directed on the package. Add the thyme just before serving.

Monkeypoodle
05-12-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure where I found this recipe. It's slightly different from the other black bean soup posted in this forum. I absolutely love it and recommend it with Jalapeno cornbread.

Black Bean Soup
Servings: 4

• 2 -15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 1/2 cups fat free, low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
• 1 cup chunky (mild, medium or hot) salsa
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 4 tablespoons fat-free or low fat sour cream
• 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red onion
In an electric food processor or blender, combine ½ beans, broth, salsa and cumin. Pulse until lightly pureed.
Mix the pureed bean mixture with remaining beans in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot though out. To serve, ladle soup into 4 individual bowls and top each bowl with 1 tablespoon of the sour cream, and 1/2 tablespoon red onion.
Per Serving: 218 Calories; 2g Fat (7.6% calories from fat); trace Saturated Fat; 17g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 1134mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

aghiowa
05-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Potato and Cabbage Soup with Kielbasa

Recipe by: WW Slow Good Cookbook

Note: This recipe calls for turkey kielbasa, which isn't Core. I think most brands are about 1 pt per ounce? But I bet you could substitute canadian bacon or turkey ham if you don't want to spend the points.

2 teaspoons healthy oil
2 red onions -- sliced
2 cloves garlic -- peeled
2 cups green cabbage -- finely shredded
1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds -- crushed
2 small russet potatoes -- peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced
1/4 pound turkey kielbasa -- halved lenghtwise and sliced
3 fresh thyme sprigs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic; cook stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and caraway seeds; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 min.

Transfer the cabbage mixture to a large slow cooker. Add the potatoes, kielbasa, thyme sprigs, salt, and pepper. Pour the broth over the kielbasa and vegetables. Cover and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. Discard the garlic and thyme sprigs; stir in parsley.

Monkeypoodle
05-24-2005, 12:07 PM
There was a Seinfeld episode called the "Soup ****". That's where I first heard of Mulligatawny soup (I think it was Kramer's favorite).

If you like curry, you'll enjoy this core soup. My only recommended tweak would be to add a pinch of cayenne.

Mulligatawny
4 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
½ carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
½ green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tart apple, peeled, cored and diced
¼ cup couscous
2 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp ground mace or nutmeg
1 whole clove
2 cups low-sodium ff chicken broth
1 tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 ½ cups diced cooked chicken breast
¼ tsp salt

In a medium nonstick saucepan, heat the oil. Saute the onion, celery, bell pepper and apple until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the couscous, curry, mace and clove; cook, stirring 1 minute; gradually stir in the broth. Add the tomato and lemon juice; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Add the chicken and salt; heat to serving temperature.
Serves 4. 187 calories, 7 g fat, 17 g carb, 3 g fiber

kaplods
05-25-2005, 05:51 PM
I love this soup. When I first had it in a vietnamese/chinese restaurant I thought it was an appetizer soup because it was so inexpensive and ordered it with an entree. The waitress looked at me a little odd, but came out with a bowl the size of a dinner plate. It's completely Core if you use brown rice or whole wheat noodles. Since amounts aren't important, I call it an unrecipe. Do not worry about amounts, because it's good however you throw it together. I've made it for one and I've made it in a huge pot.

I do recommend checking to see if you have an oriental grocery in your area. The bean sprouts and cilantro will probably be fresher and cheaper. If you can buy an oriental brand of soup stock or bouillon powder, I would suggest giving it a try. Fish sauce sounds exotic, but is great to use wherever you would use worcesteshire. I use the chile paste with the squeeze top and picture of a rooster on it. Sometimes I buy the one in a jar with garlic. Chili paste is a lot more versatile than tobasco (has no vinegar tast). Just be careful and add teeny amounts until you get the taste you want. The restaurant usually serves the soup with hoisin, but I rarely use it. It's a chinese style bbq sauce with the consistency and color of molasses.

1 skinless, boneless chicken breasts per serving, or the shredded meat from a supermarket rotisserie chicken, or even canned white meat chicken (last resort, but still good)

At least 1 quart chicken broth (canned or from bouillon, powdered stock or soup base) Use 2 cups of broth per serving.

You can poach the breasts in the broth, shred and return to the broth or you can just use breast meat from a rotisserie chicken. (If you want to get really fancy, you can remove all the skin and fat from the rotisserie chicken
and simmer the bones in the broth (none of the meat) for while, adding water as it evaporates. Strain the broth and add the shredded chicken meat.).

If you want (but it's great without), add brown rice (Minute Rice brown rice is very convenient) or whole wheat noodles (or if you want to count the points regular noodles or to be authentic linguine shaped rice noodles).

When the broth is hot and the rice/noodles are cooked. Pour into serving bowls and add any or all of the following condiments as you would like. It's fun to serve the condiments buffet style at the table.

Chopped fresh cilantro
very fresh bean sprouts
Green onion, sliced into rounds or threads
thin lime wedges (add a squirt to each bowl according to preference)
chili paste or chili garlic paste (probably not tobasco, too vinegary)
hoisin sauce (only a teaspoon or less)
vietnamese fish sauce (just a few drops, like a quarter teaspoon)
chopped sugar snap peas or chinese peapods (to soften add a few minutes before removing soup from heat or add to hot soup and let stand for a few minutes before adding the veggies you want to stay crisp)

mumto2
05-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Here's a good one: Broccoli / Cauliflower cheese soup 1 cup = 1 pt.

20 oz. frozen broccoli florets
10 oz. frozen cauliflower florets
10 oz. frozen carots
6 tsp. chicken granules
1 tsp. dehydrated onion
12 oz. velveeta light cheese (comes in box of 16 oz., will have to cut off 4 oz.)

Boil all ingredients (except cheese) in 5 cups of water with chicken granules for 20 minutes. DO NOT DRAIN Mash veges, add cheese, stir until mixed. ENJOY.

Lisa

septembersgoal
06-03-2005, 07:11 PM
White Bean Chili
(If this recipe came from you, please let me know! I couldn't find it anywhere on the boards and don't remember where it came from.)

Original Recipe:
1 Can White Beans
1 Can Rotel
1 Can Corn
1 Can Chicken (I use Swanson 98% FF Chicken Chunks)

Put all ingredients in saucepan and heat.

My changes and notes: I drain most of the liquid from the corn and chicken but keep the rotel and bean juices. Also, I add an additional can of white beans and cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder for some pizzaz. :D

Katpo
06-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Easy Mexican Soup

1 can Rotel
1 can tomato soup
1 can water (in tomato soup can)
1 can whole kernal corn (or Mexicorn)
1 can chicken broth
1 can chicken (I used a large one)

That's it! I added some Mrs. Dash but the Rotel will make it spicy enough.

Monkeypoodle
06-13-2005, 11:56 AM
If you like Indian food, you'll love this cold summer soup! I ate the entire thing in one sitting!

Indian Carrot Soup

Categories : Soups Soups/ Stews/ Chowders

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 chopped onion
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
4 carrots -- peeled and cut into 1" chunks
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
carrot curls -- for garnish

In a medium nonstick saucepan, heat the oil. Saute the onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, coriander and cardamom; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the carrots and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Strain the broth into a large bowl.

In a food processor or blender, puree the carrots with 1 cup of the broth. Stir the puree into the remaining broth; refrigerate, covered, until chilled (I left it overnight). Serve, topped with the yogurt and garnished with the carrot curl.

ontarget
06-14-2005, 08:57 PM
i got this off bcb tonight. i'm going to try it soon.

SANTA FE SOUP -- Core

1 can chicken broth
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 can ff refried beans
1 jar salsa
optional, can chicken in water or cut up chicken breast

You just need a can opener! Open everything, put into a saucepan and heat. For a treat drop a dollop of ff sour cream and/or ff or soy shredded cheese on top.

Vickie
07-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Summer Corn, Bacon and Potato Chowder

POINTS® value | 4
Servings | 4
Preparation Time | 20 min
Cooking Time | 15 min
Level of Difficulty | Easy

soups | There's nothing like freshly-picked sweet corn. We highlight it in this chowder along with buttery-tasting Yukon Gold potatoes and smoky Canadian bacon.

Ingredients

1 medium uncooked Yukon Gold potato(es)
1 serving cooking spray, (5 one-second sprays per serving)
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup onion(s), chopped (or 1 large shallot)
4 piece corn on the cob, kernels removed with a knife
1 cup sweet red pepper(s), diced
4 oz Canadian-style bacon, diced
2 cup fat-free skim milk
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste

Instructions

1. Puncture potato in several places with a fork; microwave on high power until tender, turning over once, about 8 minutes. Allow to cool; peel and mash.

2. Meanwhile, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add celery, onion, corn and red pepper; sauté over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. (Note: Feel free to substitute your favourite fresh vegetables like asparagus and broccoli for the red pepper. Or to save time, substitute 2 cups of frozen corn and 1 cup of frozen, diced bell pepper for the fresh corn and red pepper.)

3. Stir bacon and milk into saucepan; stir in mashed potato and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; stir to combine. Cover and simmer 10 minutes (do not allow to boil). Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.

© 2005 Weight Watchers International, Inc. © 2005 WeightWatchers.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
WEIGHT WATCHERS and POINTS are the registered trademarks of Weight Watchers International, Inc. and are used under license by WeightWatchers.ca Limited.

ontarget
09-06-2005, 03:01 PM
TACO SOUP

i got this recipe from a friend in tx a few years ago. curtis asked for me to make some today. lo and behold--it's core!!!!

2 lbs of ground beef
1 large onion chopped
1 can pinto beans with jalapenos
1 can pinto beans (today i just used 2 cans pinto beans cuz i didn't have the jalapeno ones)
1 can of corn (do not drain)
1 can rotel tomatoes
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 large package ranch style dressing mix
1 package taco seasoning

brown ground meat with onion. add salt/pepper to taste. add remainder of ingredients. cover and simmer for approx 30 minutes.

this is fabulous. we now have a huge pot on hand for many meals. when we serve the soup, we will sprinkle ff cheddar cheese on top. life is good.

septembersgoal
09-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Potato Soup

1 cup serving
1 or 2 points (OR Core + pts for gravy mix; in any case, very low pts and very filling)

1 bag Potatoes O'Brien (16 oz., frozen)
4 cans fat free chicken broth (I use low sodium ff broth)
1 pkg. McCormick Country Gravy Mix

Spray pan with Pam. Saute potatoes 10 minutes, stirring gently.
Add broth and bring to a boil. Prepare gravy mix according to pkg. directions.
Add to potatoes and broth. Simmer 20-30 minutes.

ontarget
09-06-2005, 11:56 PM
melissa, this sounds fantastic. i'm going to try this for sure. thanks for posting.

septembersgoal
09-12-2005, 11:27 AM
I found the following recipes in a collection I saved while doing Flex. These sound great for fall weather!

Cream of Broccoli Soup
Servings | 4

1 medium onion(s), chopped
1 medium garlic clove(s), minced
2 pound broccoli, tough ends removed, stems and florets chopped
4 cup fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste

Put onion and garlic in a 2-quart saucepan with 1/4 cup water and simmer until onion is soft, about 10 minutes; spoon into large pot. Add broccoli and broth to onion mixture and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, turn down heat and simmer until broccoli is soft but still green, about 8 minutes. Do not cover pot while broccoli is cooking or it will turn gray.
Remove soup from heat and puree in batches in a blender until smooth. (Note: Be careful not to overfill blender; the hot liquid can splatter.) Add evaporated milk and hot pepper sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Yields about 1 3/4 cups per serving.

septembersgoal
09-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Beef and Bean Chowder

6 servings

1lb. lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3 or 4 small potatoes, peeled, chopped
1 l-lb. can stewed tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
salt and pepper to taste

Brown ground beef in large saucepan, stirring until crumbly. Add onion, mixing well. Cook for 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining ingredients and 1 to 1 1/2 cups water. Simmer for 25 minutes.

septembersgoal
09-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Provencal Beef Slow Cooker Stew
Servings | 6
Preparation Time | 10 min
Cooking Time | 390 min
Level of Difficulty | Moderate

1 pound lean beef round, cut into 1-inch cubes (London Broil)
1 serving cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)
1 small onion(s), chopped
2 cup mushroom(s), sliced
2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
2 large carrot(s), sliced (about 1 cup)
15 oz canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cup canned beef broth
14 1/2 oz canned crushed tomatoes, (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp thyme, fresh, or 2 whole sprigs, for garnish (optional)

Place beef in a 5-quart slow cooker. Coat a 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add onion, mushrooms and garlic. Sauté over medium-high heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to slow cooker. Add carrots.
Place half of beans in slow cooker. Place remaining beans in blender. Add 1/2 cup of broth to blender and puree. Add mixture to slow cooker. Add remaining broth, tomatoes, oregano, dried thyme, salt and pepper.
Cover and cook on high setting of slow cooker for 6 to 7 hours. Garnish with fresh thyme. Yields about 2 cups per serving.

septembersgoal
09-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Southwestern Slow Cooker Chicken and Potato Soup
Servings | 4

3/4 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast(s), cut into 1-inch cubes
3 small sweet potato(es), or 2 medium, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 large onion(s), chopped
29 oz canned diced tomatoes, salsa-style with chiles, undrained
14 1/2 oz fat-free chicken broth
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, not thawed

Mix chicken, potatoes, onion, tomatoes, broth, oregano and cumin in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker (crockpot); cover and cook on low heat setting for at least 6 hours.
Stir in corn; cover and cook on high heat setting until chicken is no longer pink in the center and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.

Just a note: Since I don't like sweet potatoes, I think that I will try this with white ones instead. I think it would still taste good.

ontarget
09-12-2005, 01:32 PM
thanks, melissa. these look good. soup weather's almost here. or maybe it is here?

p.a.
09-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Hamburger Soup (T&T)
brown 1/2 lb ground beef with 1 large onion
add 3 cups water, 4 cans of beef broth, 28oz can diced tomatoes, 1 can tomato soup, 1 pkg onion soup mix
add chopped carrots, celery, 2 bay leaves, and salt and pepper to taste
Simmer for an hour.
add 4-5 diced potatoes
simmer again for another 30-40 minutes till tender
enjoy

Vickie
10-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Core Mushroom Barley Soup

This soup is great and freezes well. Great separated into lunch sized portions. Nice way to get in some of our healthy oil!

3/4 cup Pearl Barley
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
4 onions, chopped (I only used one)
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
4 cups low sodium beef broth
3 carrots, sliced
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Minced parsley

In a large saucepan, stir the barley and 4 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the barley is partially cooked, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat the oil. Add the onions and celery; cook, stirring as needed, until softened, 6-8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring as needed, until the mushrooms begin to soften and release their liquid, about 5 minutes.

Add the broth, carrots, tomato paste and barley WITH its liquid; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring as needed, until the barley and carrots are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper; serve garnished with the parsley.

Makes 6 servings; 182 calories, 3 grams fat, 7 grams fiber. 2 points per serving. This would be 3 servings for me!

aghiowa
11-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Minestrone Milanese (from WW Slow Good cookbook)

Serving Size : 6

1 can small white beans -- rinsed and drained
2 carrots -- chopped
2 russet potatoes -- peeled and chopped
2 red onions -- chopped
2 small zucchini -- chopped
1 stalk celery with leaves -- chopped
1/4 pound fresh green beans -- trimmed and cut into 1" pieces (I used canned and it worked fine)
10 flat leaf parlsey sprigs
2 cloves garlic -- peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 cups vegetable broth
1 cup tiny pasta (you could use whole wheat pasta)
parsley leaves -- for garnish

Place the white beans, carrots, potatoes, onions, zucchini, celery, green beans, parsley sprigs, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large slow cooker. Pour the broth over the beans and veggies.

Cover and cook till the veggies are fork-tender, 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. Discard the parsley sprigs and garlic.

About 15 min before the cooking time is up, cook the pasta according to package directions, omitting the salt. Drain and add to the soup. Garnish each serving with parsley leaves.

septembersgoal
11-29-2005, 11:59 AM
POTATO CHILI

(from Donna, found at barbosdietkitchen.com)

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 pound potatoes -- peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieced
1 large onion -- chopped
1 large green bell pepper -- chopped
1 clove garlic -- minced
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15.5 oz. can kidney beans -- drained and rinsed
2 cups tomato sauce
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1. In a large soup kettle, saute potatoes, onion and green bell pepper in
oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder, cook an additional minute.

2. Be sure to coat the vegetables with the garlic and chili powder. Add
remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and
simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and the mixture has
thickened.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 432 Calories; 6g Fat (12.7% calories
from fat); 22g Protein; 77g Carbohydrate; 25g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 785mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 3
Vegetable; 1 Fat.

NOTES : FLEX POINTS PER SERVING: 8

septembersgoal
12-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Core Creamy Chicken and Rice soup

olive oil
1 large onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped
couple of celery ribs chopped
8 cups ff chicken broth
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup cooked wild rice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup evaporated skim milk
2 large chicken breasts, chopped (boneless, skinless)

Cook rices per package instructions.

In a saucepan or soup pot, saute onion, celery and carrots in a bit of
olive oil. Cook until vegetables are tender. Puree 1/4 of mixture to
add thickness without using flour (add a bit of the broth to ease the
process, if desired). Mix puree and vegetables in a large stock pot,
and slowly add broth. Stir in chicken breast. Cook until chicken is
done, 10 minutes or so. Add rice, salt and pepper. Cook over medium
heat until bubbling and thickened. Stir in evaporated skim milk. Cook
for another 5 minutes. Yield: 2 1/2 quarts.

septembersgoal
12-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Taco Soup

1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 can mexican corn
1 can fat free refried beans
1 taco seasoning package
1 can ff chicken broth
1 large onion diced

Sautee onion in your choice in olive oil, then add all ingredients into pot. Stir the refried beans in until they disappear. Simmer about 30 min. very low heat, but keeps a bubble to it. Stir often. Serving is one cup which=2 pts. Makes about 9-10 servings. Core or 2 pts. per cup.

septembersgoal
12-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Taco Soup

1 can pinto beans
1 can rotel tomatoes (don't drain)
1 large can stewed tomatoes (don't drain)
1 package taco seasoning
1 package dry ranch seasoning
1 can chili beans
1 can kernel corn (don't drain)
1 large onion, chopped

Mix all together in a crock pot.

septembersgoal
12-04-2005, 09:04 PM
White Bean & Chicken Chili

3 teaspoons olive oil
3 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 onion, diced
2 teaspoons basil
3 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 small can diced chilis
3 cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
5 cups chicken stock

Saute chicken, spices, onion and garlic in large pot. Add navy beans and broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer for at least 1 hour, the longer the better.

The person who posted this on WW site said that they soaked dry navy beans overnight and then put this all in the crockpot for about 8 hours.

septembersgoal
01-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Red Potato Soup

From the kitchen of REDSLED65

Servings | 10
Estimated POINTS® value per serving | 4
Course | Soups

Ingredients

7 red potatoes
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 C carrots
1 1/2 C frozen corn
3 C skim milk
water
seasonings for your tastes (pepper, onion powder, beef boullion, basil, cavanders, etc).
Cornstarch

Instructions

Cook the ground beef and drain.
Slice uncooked red pototes about 1/8 inch thick.
Cut up uncooked carrots.
Put all ingredients into crock pot and cook 4-6 hours. Add as much water as you need (1-3 cups).
You can add cornstarch to thicken but not necessary.

blessedwithsarah
09-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Quinoa, Chicken, and Red Lentil Stew Recipe courtesy Juan-Carlos Cruz

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 6 servings

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups finely diced red onion
1 bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 cup quinoa
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each), cut into bite-size pieces
1/3 cup red lentils
4 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth

In a heavy-bottomed stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery and saute for 2 minutes. Add quinoa, oregano, and thyme and saute for 4 minutes. Add garlic and chicken and saute for another 4 to 5 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked. Stir in lentils and cover with chicken broth. Bring to a gentle boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until both lentils and quinoa are tender.

Nutrition Information
Nutritional Analysis per serving Calories 331
Fat 8 grams Saturated Fat 1 gram
Carbohydrates 34 grams Fiber 10 grams

From Foodtv.com as written. My changes - used chicken thighs, added more veggies - extra pepper and mushrooms. Also mixed in a can of chopped tomatoes. Very good.

blessedwithsarah
09-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Curried Butternut Squash Soup

1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 c. chicken stock
1 whole butternut squash or 2 packages pealed sqaush
1tsp salt
1tsp curry powder
dash pepper
oil spray

If using a whole squash, cut in half length wise. Place on a baking sheet lined with alumnimu foil, cut side down. Roast in a 400 degree over for 30 minutes. You want it soft enough to remove the peel. When done, remove from oven and let cool. Once cooled scrape out squash and set aside. (I’ve done this step the day before). OR you can buy the squash already peeled.

To make soup – in a large soup pot sauté the onion and garlic until soften. Add salt, pepper and curry powder. Mix. Add in the chicken stock and squash and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes if the squash was roasted. If squash is uncooked, cook for 45 minutes or until its very tender.

Take off heat and let sit and cool a bit. Puree with an emulsion blender in the pot or transfer to a blender to puree.

blessedwithsarah
09-28-2006, 01:21 PM
I don't really follow a recipe for this, its sort of what I find goes in. It always comes out really good and freezes well.

Into the crockpot:

1 onion chopped
1 package ground turkey
season this layer with salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin
2 or 3 peppers - which ever colors you have
1 small package mushrooms - which ever type you prefer
season again with salt, peper, chili powder and cumin
Add one can chopped tomatoes and one small can rotel tomatoes if you like it spicy

Cover and cook on high for 2 hours -stir after 1 hour to break up the ground turkey. After 2 hours add in one can of tomatoe paste and a can of beans, again, what ever you prefer or omit if you don't like them. Cook on high for another 2 hours or low for 4 hours or until you think its done -- veggies are soft and meat is cooked.

Very easy and I end up with 5 or 6 meals from this.

Enjoy!

lamoil
10-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Secret is in the sweating. I maybe the last to know this idea but going to pass it on anyway. All Extra Virgin Olive Oil to cover bottom of pan. Add all the vegtable you are going to put in soup. Simmer about 15 minutes, constantly turning. That is called sweating, it brings out all the flavors in the veggies. First ones to sweat out should be onions and garlic. Then add the rest of your veggies to sweat with them. Add one quart of broth. You can use beef or Chicken. Only spices used is once it is in your bowl sprinkle with basil, fresh or dry and salt, pepper. I made this yesterday, it was to die for. So few calories and Extra Vigin Olive Oil is good for you, not bad for heart or arteries.

ontarget
12-10-2006, 04:08 PM
thai carrot soup

http://www.recipezaar.com/31738

blessedwithsarah
01-08-2007, 04:20 PM
:cp: Very yummy - its very thick, more like a stew than soup.

Sweet Potato Chicken Barley Soup
By Marjorie Druker, New England Soup Factory

16 servings

2 tsp olive oil
1 large spanish onion, peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup celery, diced
3 cups carrots, sliced
2 parsnips, grated
4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1¼ cups pearl barley
2½ -3 quarts chicken stock
3 cups chicken, poached and diced
¼ cup freshly chopped dill
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a large heavy lined stock pot heat the olive oil, add garlic, onions, celery and carrot and sauté 8 minutes. Add the parsnips, barley, chicken and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and simmer on medium-high heat for 30 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and cook an additional 30 minutes. Add dill and season.

Per Serving: 174 calories, 1.8g fat, 12.3g protein, 27.6g carbohydrate, 20.2mg cholesterol, 382mg sodium

New England Soup Factory
Brookline and Newton, MA

Fressca
01-28-2008, 01:42 PM
This recipe was in the Toronto Star last weekend. All Core, I think?

Quinoa Chili

This unusual but delicious vegan chili, based on supergrain quinoa, comes from Toronto author Judith Finlayson's new book The Complete Whole Grains Cookbook. Since most whole grain dishes soak up liquid if left to sit, you may need to add extra stock/water if reheating.

1 tbsp olive oil
2 yellow onions, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, peeled, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp chili powder, such as ancho or chipotle
1 tbsp puréed chipotle peppers packed in adobo sauce
28-oz (796-mL) can diced tomatoes with juices
2 cups vegetable stock
Salt + freshly ground pepper
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
14 oz (398 mL) can pinto beans, rinsed, drained
1 cup corn kernels

In large, deep saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion, celery, carrots, bell pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 7 minutes. Add chili powder and chipotles. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juices and stock. Bring to boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add quinoa, beans and corn. Cook, stirring, until mixture returns to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 25 minutes.

Makes about 10 cups (6 servings).

ontarget
09-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Just got this from Dottis. A lady named Jamie posted it. You'd have to count pts for the cornstarch.

Just thought I'd post this for an alternative to canned cream of soups:

Homemade "Cream" soup mix - taken from usu extension services

2 c. powdered nonfat milk
3/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. instant chicken bouillon
2 T dried onion flakes
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container. Yield: 9 cans

To make CREAM OF CHICKEN:
1/3 c. mix
1 1/2 c. water
Stir and Cook until thickened. Use in any recipe where you would add a can of soup

CREAM OF MUSHROOM:
Add a 4oz can of mushrooms undrained as part of the liquid in the cream of chicken recipe

The cornstarch isn't Core but I'm pretty sure it's zero points over the whole recipe. It comes out to about 1 1/2 T per "can"

****Just a side note on this. The recipe calls for just nonfat powdered milk it doesn't say "INSTANT" nonfat powdered milk. Soooo, with regular powdered milk, you mix 3 T powder with 1 cup of water to make 1 c. milk. With INSTANT, it's 1/3 c. powder to 1 c. water to make 1 c. of milk. I'm sure you could make this mix with INSTANT, you would just have to increase the amount of powder. Confusing??

i'm thinking if you use INSTANT powdered milk, you might have to use 4 c. of instant powdered milk instead of just the 2 c. of regular powdered milk. and then when you make the recipe, use 2/3 c. of the mix to 1 1/2 c. water. I hope that works.

sloanie
12-22-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure where I got this one. Maybe here, but I just tried it, and it is awesome!!

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
olive oil
1 large onion
1 large carrot
2 stalks celery
8 c FF Chicken broth
2 c cooked brown rice
1 c. cooked wild rice
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 t curry powder
1 t dry mustard
1 c evaporated skim milk
2 chicken breasts cubed

Saute onion, celery, and carrot in oil til tender-puree 1/4 of mixture. Add broth and chicken and cook til done. Add rice and spices and bring to a boil. May thicken with cornstarch as desired. Stir in evap. milk and cook another 5 min. Enjoy!

sloanie
01-07-2010, 08:35 AM
I just found this recipe on the Sonoma/Mediterr. Diet Recipe Thread. It sounds really good, so I thought I would post it here! I have not tried it, but I will. Adding the pumpkin is a good way to add veggies to your diet if you are not really keen on them!

Pumpkin Chili Mexicana - I copied this over from the Medieterranean Diet recipe board since it was so well received there.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil - I used olive oil and maybe a little less
1/2 cup chopped onion - I used a whole onion
1 cup chopped red bell peppers -
1 clove garlic - I went heavy on this
1 pound ground turkey - I used ground turkey breast
2 (14.5 ounce) cans canned peeled and diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 (15 ounce) can canned tomato sauce
1 (15.25 ounce) can canned kidney beans, drained - I used pinquitos
1 (4 ounce) can ORTEGA® Diced Green Chiles
1/2 cup whole kernel corn - I used frozen corn
1 tablespoon chili powder - I went heavy on this
1 teaspoon ground cumin - I went heavy on this too
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

*Linda addition - Added some chopped fresh spinach during last 5 minutes of cooking*

HEAT vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add turkey; cook until browned. Drain.
ADD tomatoes with juice, pumpkin, tomato sauce, beans, chiles, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.

Changes for next time: Cut back on turkey and add some cooked bulgur or quinoa. Try different beans, black, white, etc. I plan on making this again after thanksgiving using up diced leftover turkey breast