Old 11-08-2004, 02:42 PM   #1  
Jennifer

Default My Eyes Are Open Now... Wide Open

Well, I just got back from my trip to the in-laws' house in Florida, and I've been formulating this message in my mind the whole way home. I have had my eyes opened to how easy it would be to go back to the way I used to eat (and in the reverse, how difficult it will be to maintain). Since last Wednesday (OK, some of it was post-election depression, I will admit), I have been so totally off-plan that it's pathetic. After receiving lots of kind words about my loss to-date, I managed to eat as if the last six months had never happened!! I did okay the first day we were there -- we went to one of those "feed-trough" mall restaurants that gives you four times the amount of food one should normally eat, but I managed to eat less than half of everything... still too many calories, but not insane. The second day I did a little worse, making the wrong choices about half of the time. And it just got progressively worse the whole time I was there, including fast food (which isn't usually even a tempation for me!), ice cream, chips, other ridiculous, empty, empty foods. And while I can say definitively that I did better than I would have in years past (and took some walks/swam, etc.), for some reason, I thought it would be easier than it was to stay at least *close* to my plan.

I'm sorry if this is self-indulgent, but I feel like I need to sort this out so I don't make the same mistakes next time (Thanksgiving at my mom's house is coming up!). THIS TIME I got a reprieve and didn't seem to gain more than two pounds, some of which is probably TOM (I'll do a real weigh-in in the morning to find out for sure, but I *had* to "survey the damage" when I got home), but I feel awful -- sluggish, bloated, run-down, angry at myself, guilty. I feel that now I know how close I am to the "edge" at all times. While I do well at home in my controlled environment, wandering outside of it without a solid plan in place is apparently a dangerous gamble.

I know I just have to get back on the wagon (my eating today has been on-plan so far, and I'm going to hit the gym tonight), but I'm just frightened by how simple it was to slide back into old habits in the service of "family fun."

Any thoughts, you guys? I've missed you. First item of business for my next trip is my LAPTOP so I can log onto here and into Diet Power. I really think that would have helped....

*Sigh*

Last edited by teapotdynamo; 11-08-2004 at 02:44 PM.
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

First off, I think it's great that you realized how close you are every day from falling off. I'm sure all the maintainers will tell you that you are always one bite away from gaining it all back.

Although I haven't been on any vacations recently, I have had a week here and there where I've just let myself go. But, I reminded myself that this is a lifestyle change and I have to be able to do this all the time.
For me, I think it is all right to go off on the deep end every once in a really great while. It's when you stay there that you start to gain your weight back.

You said you only gained 2 pounds. I think that is great considering you did not eat anywhere near plan and it sounds like you already have a plan of action to get back into the swing of things.
I think Gretchen just went through a similar issue as you and will have some great advice to help you get back on track.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

I am right there with ya,.. ever since,.. say,.. halloween? I have been eating awful! Not completely off plan, but definitely not good,.. I guess just too much candy and stuff in the house. What scares me is that Halloween isnt usually a big goodies holiday for me,.. but Thanksgiving and especially Christmas ,.. are big holiday goody times for me. I am already worried about that. Today I am on track,.. so far,.. I need to get more veggies and fruit,.. i hadnt eaten hardly any in the last 2 weeks. i did get a banana in with my breakfast this morning,.. one step at a time I guess.

I think i gained a little back,.. i can see it in my face just a bit, but im hoping it will come off fast. it is good for us to realize what we are doing when we slide, itis good that we catch ourselves before it gets worse:-P
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Jennifer, what is it about relatives that makes us do this??? I do the SAME thing. When I go home, excellent meals would be enough, but no, I have to stuff my face with chocolate and chips too. Eek!

I'm not sure what to tell you, but the fact that you recognize these patterns is a step inm the right direction, right? This last week's been tough for lots of us, so I definitely sympathize.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:53 PM   #5  
Getting back on track!

Hello! We missed you!
I just popped in before bed and I'm glad I did! I'm sorry this week has been so tough!
I guess as we're changing ourlifestyle we just need consistency, and when the structure we've created in our new routienes is removed, it can send us a bit 'off' for a while. But it's not the end of the world. You came back and got back on plan.
Have you ever tried dieting in the past,eaten something you shouldn't and then given up? I have too many times!!! But you're not doing that! You know you've over indulged but you're not giving in! You're back on track. Isn't that what slim people do? Occasionally overeat but adjust the next day.
O.K so you indulged more than you wanted but you are here, signing in, ready to keep going. What you wrote says to me that you're not just trying a diet but changing your life! When/if you slip up again you'll have this time to remember and you'll know you can turn it around.
Lots of love Annie xxx
Annie-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:47 AM   #6  
Crazy Canuck

Its unfathomable, isn't it? You feel so much better in every possible way when you're on plan, yet its so easy to fall into those bad ways. I guess falling off the wagon and landing with a hard thump does us good once in a while. It reminds us that the journey never really ends and if you let the wagon get too far ahead you might not be able to catch it again. You just hit a little cog in the road, Jennifer. Hop right back on!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:43 AM   #7  
Want to see less of me

S/C/G: 260/255/185

I have been the same way all week, almost. I've been sick so it is comfort food for me. I feel like crap, but I've only gained a pound or two .... just when I start I stop!

Be gone you damn cold!
Orangecupcakez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:53 AM   #8  
PamPSM644

I wonder why "family fun" always seem to include food?Why can't it be "Bingo",or minature golf? It's no wonder America is over weight when having a good time must include food and LOTS of it.Also I've found that other over weight friends and relitives who arn't dieting are so negitive and unsupportive I acually think they don't want me to lose weight.Beware of the "Nay Sayers", loving friends and relitives who have their own agendas.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:49 PM   #9  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Vacations are the worst. They have been the downfall of my diet many times. I think the biggest mistake we make is telling ourselves it's allright to treat ourselves on vacation because it's our vacation and we deserve it. At least that is what I've done in the past. Well no more. I'm going to be more strick on my vacations from now on than I am when I'm home.

Don't let it get you down though you can get right back on track and that 2 lbs will come off in no time. Plus now you know what you have to do over thanksgiving.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:36 AM   #10  
Jennifer

Thanks, you all. I am feeling a little better about it now. Like you said, Jill... just a bump in the road, and I'm still on my way. It was definitely a lesson, but as long as I actually learn from it, things will be OK.

I appreciate all the kind and helpful responses!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

yep!! Vacations kill me too!! I did the same thing just last month. But I was not as smart as you and didn't get right back on.

I think sometimes about why it is when I am on plan, I can't even imagine why I'd ever go off plan. It feels so good, so right, so in control. And for me all it takes is one cookie, one chip, one anything and *poof* I am off plan and can't imagine how to get back on plan. It really shows me that it's my mind that I need to change. No matter how good I am doing, one slip and I go completely overboard.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:06 PM   #12  

Oh wow, I can certainly relate to this thread. Although I did not gain weight on my long vacation this past summer I certainly did not lose much!! Right at the end I lost a few pounds. Part of my problem was still trying to adjust to quitting smoking, but I can't put the full blame on that. My will-power just went down the drain and I did not exactly work very hard at exercising. Once I am taken out of my zone of control I fall completely apart.

I'm also combating this same issue at home right now. Before my husband left we both ate badly together and he is back now eight months later and I feel the urge to binge like the two of us used to. As far as I can tell he is doing better at controlling it than I am. He also lost a good deal of weight during the deployment. I'm sure it will al come together. Him and I can be each other's strength. I have faith in us.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote