Support Groups - Christmas Talk-Favorites, Etc.

View Full Version : Christmas Talk-Favorites, Etc.

FrouFrou
11-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Okay, all this talk of Christmas got me to thinking that maybe we need a thread to put all our favorites on. So I thought here we could talk about traditions, favorite Christmas movies, books, music, what you love about the holiday, favorite memories, etc.

So post away ladies...

FrouFrou
11-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Here are my favorite movies and music:

Christmas Vacation, Home Alone 1 & 2, A Christmas Story, Charlie Browns Christmas and now a new addition to the list is Surviving Christmas.

Michael Bolton-This Is The Time-The Christmas Album
Mariah Carey-Merry Christmas
Home Alone Christmas
Neil Diamond-The Christmas Album
Elvis Presely-If Every Day Was Christmas
Manheim Steamroller
Hallmark-The Spirit of Christmas
A Charlie Brown Christmas

I know there are more, just drawing a blank now.

My favorite songs are Silent Night, O'Holy Night, What Child is This, Happy Christmas, oh who am I kidding I love all Christmas music!

I started a sort of tradition years ago when the kids were small, we always have our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. I figured that way whatever family gathering we were invited to on Christmas day it wouldn't be a problem. We have been having our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve since. Now though it is just so we can be lazy on Christmas day, don't have any family gatherings to go to since they live out of state. We get up late if we want and spend the day in our jammies and eat leftovers. A nice and relaxing day.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's favorites and traditions and such.

Marti
11-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Oh how fun!

Movies: White Christmas, Santa Clause (both), Christmas Vacation, Christmas Story. I watch more, but those are ones I have to watch every year! I had seen in a advertisment in the paper that there was a Christmas Vacation2 ....when did that come out??

Music: I love any kind of music for Christmas. I've had Alvin & the Chipmunks playing before! But I really like the Nutcracker Suite, the music with all the string instruments are so wonderful! While working at Sony and we did Christmas CD's (in July) I always wanted to buy everyone of them!

My favorite song I like to sing (even though I don't know all the words) is "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" and "Rockin around the Christmas Tree" only because it brings back memories of Jhanai being a baby and just giggling everytime she heard those songs!

Our tradition here; Christmas Eve is spent w/all the family at my grandpa's. Everyone gets together and we have a wonderful time. We exchange gifts, do a White Elephant gift and have a little sandwich bar (really mean little--we use the tiny breads)....we don't make the big dinner...too much focus on that, when we all want to spend it enjoying the family. Then on Christmas we stay at home and enjoy what we have gotten. Also, at the first of December, we go out and buy a new ornament. Started that one when James & I got together. Eventually we'll run out of space on the tree, but we'll find spots to put them.

Fun thread.....can't wait to read everyone elses.

FrouFrou
11-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Marti~love your traditions! You reminded me that I too buy a new ornament every year-how could I forget that?! :doh: It is actually more like 2 or three, depending on if I see anything I like. Because I buy a new boy/girl angel every year, can't remember who it is that makes them but get them at Hallmark and I wish I would have started when they first came out but I didn't-think they are called Marys angels. Started those angels in 2001 and she has a new one every year except last year she had two, an anniversary one which was really cute. I then try to find a family one or one that has the year on it. When the kids were little though I made ornaments every year also. I also collect Santas and while I didn't buy one last year, couldn't find one I liked I got one early this year at Hallmark, one of the Old World Santas, the one from Norway since DH is Norwegian. Will probably buy another. My collection has turned to snowmen also. Too much Christmas stuff. You'll never run out of space on the tree, you'll just get a bigger tree! :) Had no clue there was a Christmas Vacation 2?! Would love to see it though.

Tea Rose
11-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Christmas Quotes:
And The Grinch With His Grinch Feet, Ice Cold In The Snow, Stood Puzzling And Puzzling, How Could It Be So? It Came Without Ribbons ,it Came Without Tags,it Came Without Packages, Boxes, Or Bags. And He Puzzled And Puzzled Till His Puzzler Was Sore,then The Grinch Thought Of Something He Hadn't Before. What If Christmas, He Thought,doesn't Come From A Store.what If Christmas Perhaps Means A Little Bit More.

Tea Rose
11-10-2004, 11:12 PM
christmas Quotes:
Until one feels the spirit of Christmas there is no Christmas,All else is outward display so much tinsel and decorations
For it isn't the holly , it isn't the snow
It isn't the tree,not the firelights glow
Its the warmth that comes to the hearts of men
When the Christmas Spirit returns again

Tea Rose
11-11-2004, 02:45 PM
The Supreme Court has ruled that they cannot have a Nativity scene in Washington D.C this wasn't for any Religious reasons . They couldn't find Three Wise Men and a Virgin.

Tea Rose
11-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi Girls
I'm going to Michael's and maybe Homesense tomorrow looking for Christmas goodies, my Daughter is coming with, so it should be a good time,she is even putting off seeing her sweetie till later in the evening just to come with me . I'm so excited

Tea Rose
11-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Christmas quote :
Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love

Jane
11-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Great thread, Cristi!

Movies - It's a Wonderful Life, Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Holly and Ivy, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (original version), A Christmas Carol (any version, including the one with a female lead, "Ebbie"). We usually watch Home Alone at Thanksgiving. Although we own the movie, it is on T/G night every year, and we rewatch it then.

Music - Martina McBride's Christmas CD is my favorite. I like just about any Christmas music, so I took all my Christmas CDs and separated them into "reverent" songs and "fun" songs and made two new CDs. Lots of different artist. They include everything from Madonna's Santa Baby, and a parody of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen called "The Bathroom Door Said Gentlemen" to the sweetest - What Child is This, Little Drummer Boy, and all the other traditional ones.

Our Tradition - I mentioned this recently on another thread, but here goes again, lol. On Christmas Eve, my kids and grandkids all come over. We turn the phones off, and gather in the living room with the bible open to St. Luke, Chapter 2, verses 1-20. The verses are marked in pencil with each readers name (so we can include new people later), and we each read our passage, handing the bible to the next one, as we finish. This year, Mackenzie Jo, the 5 y/o will be included. She is reading a little bit, and will get help from a grown up. Everyone listens, and I think we all feel a little humbled. Then Neal puts on his trusty Santa hat, and no less than 2 big-eyed grandkids will scramble up on his lap for the reading of "Twas the Night Before Christmas". After the "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!", we open presents. Katie and the grandkids pass them out, one at a time, and we watch and see what the person got, before going on to the next one. While somebody else bags up the wrapping paper, (and you can bet Neal will stick a big bow on his bald pate, lol) I bring out the food and we all just sit and visit while the kids try out their new stuff. After awhile, it's time for the Christmas Eve service at church.

On Christmas Day, they all come back for a noon dinner. I know there will be some years that they won't all make it for this, but while it's still going on, I'm one happy elf.

Edited to add: After I wrote all that, I remembered the photo of Neal and the kids from last year. Here it is, cut down by 50%...

(edited out by Jane)

Tea Rose
11-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Ahh Jane
What a beautiful picture, sounds like you have wonderful family traditions ,your making me all teary eyed.lucky Lady and Lucky Family

FrouFrou
11-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Jane~love your tradition and the photo of the kids and Neal, so sweet. You also reminded me that we too go to Christmas Eve service, not sure how I forgot that. Since DS#1 started going to the Catholic church we have been going the last three years. They do a beautiful candlelit service. Everyone gets a candle as they walk in and they start by lighting one and it goes from there. Used to let the kids open one present on Christmas Eve but haven't done that in a while. I do still give them a bag of goodies from Santa though.

Marti
11-13-2004, 04:07 PM
I love the photo Jane! I'm wanting to take some extra photos this year of the holidays......I tend to leave the camera tucked in my purse most of the time....must stop doing that!

That photo just crys out to me saying "put me in a scrapbook!" :D Love it and I'm glad you shared it with us!

Jane
11-14-2004, 03:28 PM
Ellen - yes, I am very blessed! So are you, with your loving family.

Cristi - our church service is also a candlelight ceremony. So beautiful!! My whole family goes and I get kinda choked up about the whole thing, with the carols and all.

Marti - I did a scapbook page the year before of almost an identical photo. Yep, be sure and get that camera out this year! With your scapbooking talent, you could turn out some really memorable pages!

FrouFrou
11-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Jane~I get choked up to-all the candles in the place is just so beautiful! There is something so peaceful about the whole thing too.

Marti~Was it you that mentioned a Popeye movie?? Anyway, I saw an advertisment in Country Living (love that magazine) for the Popeye movie (a new holiday adventure called Popeye's voyage-The Quest for Pappy) thinking it is the one you were talking about. The dvd came out Nov. 9th and it will be on FOX tv on Friday, Dec. 17th at 8:30/7:30c.Going to have to check into Christmas Vacation 2 as I didn't realize there was one.

So is everyone ready to start decorating? We know Ellen is :) anyone else already decorating? I am ready to start but will wait til next weekend. Need to start going through the lights probably this weekend and start untangling them. Not sure how they get tangled if you put them in the box neatly, I mean they sit there for a year, in a box. :dunno: Anyway, I heard Christmas music in the store yesterday for the first time. Wonder why they decorate for Christmas early but don't put the music on early? Anyway, I was humming Christmas music all day yesterday-couldn't get it out of my head. If anyone wants to share pics feel free-would love to share and see them. I will be sure too when I am done-some of the living room/dining room, maybe my pink tree.

Tea Rose
11-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi Everyone:wave:
Well Thanksgiving has come and will soon be over and now you all know what that means don't you :coach: Its Christmas ,did you all hear me :coach: Its time to decorate ,:lol: just kidding of course you already know this, but its exciting is it not . Time for baking all those holiday treats that were not supposed to be eating :nono:maybe a few just to taste :cookie: :cookie: no one will no how could they :nose: its a tough time for weight loss ,but its a great wonderful season, I am excited to see the pictures when they start coming , someone will have to show me how to do it ,because I have never done this before , but it will be so much fun to share our holiday pictures. I still have a bit of decorating to do outside ,I wish now, it was a little warmer just for one day, to finish then it can snow snow snow but I don't think thats gonna happen so I will just have to put on some warm duds and get to it times a wasting thinking about it. Its such a warm feeling when our homes are decorated for Christmas , I wish it felt the same all year round ,but then I guess thats what makes it so special isn't it.I know its not about the decorations ,or the gifts ,but its such an undescribable feeling this season brings that I would never want to be without,Happy Holiday Season everyone enjoy every minute of it .

Jane
11-26-2004, 06:36 AM
Ellen - yep, now that T'ging is over, we can concentrate on Christmas full-time, lol. Neal and I will be decorating this weekend. Once we get the lights up outside, I'll be tying small red bows to every-other spindle on my porch railing. Then on to the inside!! My favorite is the manger scene, followed closely by the snowmen kids I have. They get left out after the other Christmas things are packed away, since they have a winter theme. I got the cutest new wreath for my door - maybe I'll post a photo of it. Hope you get an opportunity to finish your outside decorations. If not, well, it just wasn't meant to be. Have a good day!

FrouFrou
11-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Yeppers Ellen, it's time now and I am trying. :lol: We did manage to get the outdoors done. Put lights around the whole house and on the front window and garage. Of course have some holly on the top of the front door with lights. Also have two lighted deer and a snowman plus the humongus wreath above the garage. And we put icicle lights around the deck. To me it seems like a lot but from a distance it looks kind of bare. Oh well it's done. Now to finish the inside. You know I don't normally bake any goodies for Christmas but decided to make some and give a container to my neighbor. She is alone although she does have family that comes over and she goes with them a lot but I thought it would be a nice gesture. She has been wanting to get together just haven't had the opportunity and this would be perfect. Although, I am never sure about taking baked goods to someone you don't know much about as they may not be able to have the stuff. :dunno: Maybe I will come up with something else. Any suggestions anyone? Anyway, some snickerdoodles sound oooooh so good.

Jane~we almost bought a big lighted manger scene, I thought it was gorgeous. Already had the yard decorated. But they go on sale in a couple of weeks at Lowes and may buy it for next year. Already thinking of what we will do next year and thought the nativity scene with the deer and white lights all around would be nice. We like to try something a little different every year and this year it is color lights around the house with white lights here and there. Would love to see your wreath, bet it is purdy. I used one from a couple of years ago but think next year I will redo the one I used last year. Michaels has some really pretty ones but rather than spend a lot on them I buy a naked one and do it up.

Anyway, what is everyone else up to with their decorating and such? Love to hear about it and see pics if ya feel like sharing. Are ya ready for Christmas? Finished with your shopping, cards, etc.? Will you be baking some goodies?

Tea Rose
11-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi Cristi AND EVERY HAPPY HOLIDAY LADIES AND FAMILIES OF COURSE
I always take a special ornament to my neighbours last year I gave them an angel, they are the absolute sweetest, kindess elderly couple ,when my son and I were cleaning our yard ,my son offered to prune some of the dead branches on his trees and while we were chatting he said the nicest thing to us, he said that it was so comforting to know that they have neighbours like us who alway show care and concern for their well being and make them feel safe in a world thats not ,so heartwarming to hear , its so nice to know the little things really do mean a lot ,so whatever you take Cristi , it will be the thought behind the gift that matters most. Your decorations sound wonderful can there ever really be too much:lol: I had to combine years of collecting in to one little space when I moved .One of my sons friends whom he hadn't seen for a long time, came over in the mids't of the interior decorating frenzy ,and commented that he had forgotten how all out I went at Christmas ,My son smiled and said yes but she's been in training for an additional ten years :lol: I think I used everything I had this year,My children gave me a beautiful manger scene last year,from the Bombay company ,it also has the three wise men on a horse a elephant and a camel they are all jewelled and absolutely beautiful. it takes center stage on my coffee table. I'm sure I already said this at the beginning of the whole Christmas discussion.that I do the living room in victorian decorations, flowers of roses and magnolia's in shades of cream , red and green and the kitchen is very traditional red and green christmas , my daughters boyfriend who saw it for the first time said its like were at the north pole:lol: he loved it ,this year I added red and white gingham bows and tablecoth , from the usual Christmas plaid which I also love ,but it looks so pretty this year, I also hang little tiny kitty stockings on the plate rack ,one for every kitty.so cute, I hope that doesn't sound like I'm blowing my own horn ,it just wouldn't sound right to say it looks ok .I hope that I can get someone to help me with the pictures to send ,and I can hardly wait to see all of yours,I can never get enough .Last night I caught a bit of a holiday decorating show from the very beautiful simple to the very beautiful elaborite , dosen't matter its all beautiful and all from the heart of everyones homes.I really hope to get the outside done ,I can see weather changes outside ,I have done the white lights for years and always with green garlands and red bows until I moved ,I just needed a change so although everthing is the same I changed the bows to large gold bows I made out of that ribbon netting its about 10 inch's wide and has a soft glitter ,I also have two large reindeers made out of vines,I decorate the porch with garlands ,lights and bows, and I swag garlands and lights down both sides of my walkway.I have two large black urns that have Christmas trees/with lights in, on each side of my front door and two smaller urns / with the same but smaller trees ,just below the front step I have a trellis into the front yard that i place lights on top so they look like stars when you walk through,there are bushes sprinkled with white lights and wreaths on the fence the house and doors.For the front door this year I have one of those wreaths that looks like sparkling ice,my front door is painted black and all glass so I thought it might look pretty. On the front porch tucked away in the corner is a little house we made insulated from the cold ,filled with soft warm blankets, for the little strays to go in on cold winters nights,the little overhang has a little wreath everyone gets Christmas here. :lol: Have you girls heard enough about Christmas from me ,because it even surprises me how I can go on and on and on. I hope you really don't mind , I don't have much going on in my life ,so waiting for the little guy in the manger and the big guy in the red and white suit is about the biggest excitement on my list right now. Well I will give it a rest for now, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE

FrouFrou
11-29-2004, 12:28 PM
WOW Ellen, your house sounds BEAUTIFUL! and I can't wait to see pics! Sounds like something out of House and Garden or Country Living. I love looking at all the decorations. Also, love magnolias! I have some on my living room wall and am looking for a hugs picture to put above the couch. Anyway, can't wait to see your pics and I will never tire of hearing about you decorating. It all sounds so lovely and you are giving me ideas. Oh, I never thought to give Wanda (next door neighbor) an ornament, that would be nice also. I have seen some at Hallmark that say something about a neighbor. :thanks:

Marti
11-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Ellen--Your house sound absolutely beatiful!! I too can't wait to see photos!! I don't think I could have my house decorated like that....want to come over and help! :D

I've been collecting Nut Crackers and Old World Santas for the last couple of years and so that is what my house is usually decorated with. I"m wanting to add more to give it a more cozy look, but I'm just not sure what to do. I can't wait to see photos of everyones homes!!

Tea Rose
11-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Hi Cristi and Marti
Thankyou , Gosh I sure hope its not a let down :lol: Keep in mind my house is small, just a little space ,I would love to help Marti , If I start walking now I might make it in time for Christmas which one I don't know though:lol: I love Nutcrackers I have maybe 6 or 7 on the kitchen mantle,all different sizes, I would like to add some larger ones but honestly I'm running out of room and I finally have to accept the fact this is a small house :rolleyes: :lol: problem is I have more ideas than space or money.but if we finish the basement ,where we would like to make a small family room just to watch tv since the living room doesn't have a tv. Although the kitchen has , the chairs are not made for long term comfort, so to make a long story shorter I could expand my decorating down stairs,but then where will I store all the decorations since they are stored downstairs what to do what to do.Ohhh!!!! I can't think about this right now:nono: like I don't have enough to do. See what I mean, I just go on and on like the never ending story. Anyway I want to hear more about all of your rooms so please keep me quiet:lol: be back to soon

FrouFrou
11-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Ooooo, nutcrackers...I almost bought one the other day, just thought they were so cute. That is one thing I don't have, any nutcrackers. Just a lot of Santas and Snowmen. DS#1 has a few nutcrackers that his teachers helper from first grade sent him. She collects frogs and has a zillion and so he finds a little frog each year to send her and she has sent him a little something also. Although the one nutcracker is not so little.

Ellen~I don't think you will let us down, your house truly does sounds beautfiul and with all the decorating you have done there's no way it couldn't be gorgeous. Now mine on the other hand...it has taken me a while to do but when I sit down and look around it doesn't look like much.

Marti~I would love to see a pic of your nutcrackers and santas, bet they are purdy.

Tea Rose
11-30-2004, 01:20 AM
Christmas Quote
What is Christmas ? It is a tenderness for the past,courage for the present ,hope for the future.It is a fervent wish that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal and that every path will lead to peace

He who has no Christmas in his heart will never find Christmas under his tree

The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree :the presense of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.

There is no ideal Christmas, only the one you decide to make a reflection of your values,desires, affections ,traditions.

Jane
11-30-2004, 08:27 AM
Ellen, how true! Thanks for sharing that!

Jane
11-30-2004, 08:40 AM
Here's a picture of the new wreath I got at K-Mart..... kind of crafty looking, which is just what I wanted. I'll take one of my Snowmama and her 3 little ice skaters to share, too.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/JanaCee/CmasWreath.jpg

FrouFrou
11-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Ellen~I don't know where you find your quotes but they are beautiful and that is so true. Thank you for all the wonderful quotes.

Jane~what a cute wreath-I LOVE it! I would love to have something like that but we have a screen (glass) door that limits what I can put on the door. So I have to put the wreath on the side of the porch and I put a sort of flat hanging of some sort on the door. But I love your wreath-snowmen/people are my fav too!

Jane
11-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Cristi - Thank you! I also have two doors, and the wreath barely fits, lol.

Here's a photo of the snowbabies. Two of them already have their ice skates on, and the momma is fixing the scarf around the littlest's neck. The beads are just for fun - I love beads. The comforter on the back of the couch is one that I made about 10 years ago, and all of the ornaments on it are hand appliqued. The Santa boot on the side table to the left holds candy canes. The figurine in front of the boot is 2 little sleeping mice all tucked into a double bed, with their stockings hung on the end of the bed, lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/JanaCee/snowbabies.jpg

Marti
11-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Your house looks cozy!! I love your wreath.....I need to get one this weekend. I want to also go to my grandpa's and cut some greenery from his trees! Deck out my front porch.

I will post photos this weekend.

Tea Rose
11-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Hi Jane
I love your wreath it is so adorable, I can feel the warmth coming through that front door and into your home,your snowbabies are wonderful, as are your bears and quilt, I have quite a few bears enjoying my kitchen sitting on chairs and atop the hutch, they make everything feel so warm and cozy don't they.Thankyou for sharing those pictures ,they make me smile every time I come here.

Tea Rose
11-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Hi Marti
you sneaked in on me I can hardly wait to see your photo's to I am hoping my son can help me get mine on to real soon ,don't you love Janes ,her home really does look cozy and warm.

FrouFrou
11-30-2004, 11:35 PM
Jane~I love the snowbabies, they are soooo adorable. Your house looks nice and like the others said, it looks warm and cozy, inviting. Hey, I have the same candy cane bells you have on your wall. Got it at Hallmark a few years ago and I love it. Haven't found a spot for it yet though. Love the old boot and quilt!

Can't wait to see more pics from everyone. I will share some also but pleas be patient ladies. I still don't have a digital camera so have to take pics, get them developed and then scan them which that part is easy. So, may be a couple of weeks. Definitely before Christmas though.

Jane
12-01-2004, 06:46 AM
Awww, thanks, you guys! I never thought about my home being warm and cozy! Marti - can't wait to see your pics! Ellen - I sure do hope your son will help you post yours, too. Cristi - maybe Santa will bring you a digital camera for Christmas, lol. I got my bells candy cane at the Hallmark House, too, several years ago. When I went back to buy a couple more as gifts, they were totally sold out. For some reason, I remember that!

Tea Rose
12-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Christmas Quotes:

Christmas waves a magic wand over the world, and behold everything is softer and more beautiful

Remember this December, that Love weighs more than gold

Our Hearts grow tender with childhood memories,and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having,in spirit become a child again at Christmas time.

Tea Rose
12-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Happy Holidays Everyone
Can you believe its already December ,can't seem to catch up with the days going by so fast .I'm glad to hear everyones decorating and the spirit is in full throttle.All we need now is snow and perhaps more money :lol: my son said he would help me post some pictures soon, so that will be fun and I am so looking forward to seeing everyone else's .There has been a lot of Christmas movies on tv already, I was surprised and happy . Trying to keep my spirits up ,life just keeps testing your strength ,and you either rise above it or become defeated by it , so I am determined to keep the feelings of the season moving forward.I have to replace the whole strand of lights above my cupboards , the darn things were new last year , now I have to either start again taking all the bows and decorations apart or try and work them in without messing things up :dunno:,oh its a tricky business but you gotta do what you gotta do so I'm working up the energy to tackle this again:jig:I sure hope that none of the rest go out or I will cry, I will really, not just a tear or a trickle ,it will be all out bawling .:cry:and I have no time for any more tears so back to walmart .I love walmart .well as soon as I have more Christmas updates I will be back and you know me sooner than later I'm sure :wave:

Jane
12-03-2004, 06:17 AM
Ellen - could you try what Mary and Dale did: one of the strings of lights on their tree was fine when she put them on, and now they are not. They tested each bulb, to no avail. So she just wiggled a new string in w/o taking the defective one off. Not sure if that would work for you or not, but hope so.

FrouFrou
12-03-2004, 10:47 AM
I was thinking the same thing Ellen as the same happened to me. I put lighted garland on the mantel but forgot to plug in before doing so. So I get it all fixed and plug it in and the lights didn't work. So I found another string and just kind of worked them in gently and guess what I plugged them in and they didn't work. Thought maybe it was the timer or the extension cord, even tried a new fuse, but it wasn't. Had to get some more lights and take those off and work another string through. Third times a charm right? Well, it was and I only broke two Santas in the process. I refused to take all the Santas down and redo-what a pain. We also have a deer in our front yard that the rear end keeps going out. DH went and got one of those testers so he could see if there was a bad bulb and before he got to it I told him I see the rear decided to light up. :lol: Anyway, hopefully you can just work some in all your decorations without having to redo. :crossed:

Tea Rose
12-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi Jane and Cristi (((((( Happpy Holidays)))))))
I did manage to get the lights on without taking everything apart I just unplugged the ones that didn't work and plugged the new ones in ,thanks for the advise though . Its really frustrating when that happens,notice they only go out when your finished.I have been taking pictures my son borrowed his friends digital camera so as soon as he does whatever it is you do with it ,I will get some pictures on here .Cristi do those testers work ,I saw them advertised last year, it looks like a little plastic gun dosen't it and you pull the trigger , I should buy one ,do you buy them at the hardware store or does walmart have them? Hey frosty the snowmans on right now.so cute these stories are.I wish they would play some of the old Dean Martin, Andy Williams, Perry Como ,Carol Brunette, Bing Crosby, Christmas variety specials, any of you gals remember them,I would get so excited just waiting for them to come on. I have always Loved Christmas since I was a little tiny girl,I remember sitting looking out the big picture window in our living room mesmerized by all the neighbours Christmas lights.I also remember snow that went up to our waists in those days , it sure has changed .I would lie with my feet under the couch against the heat rad just staring at the beauty of the christmas tree lights ,until I was told to get to bed.I don't do the heat rad thing anymore but I am still just as mesmerized by the lights and the beauty of it all. There is just something about the whole thing that takes you to wonderful place in your heart,although at times it can be a sad place depending on your circumstances and I have experienced both .What do you girls cook for Christmas dinner , I do the traditional Turkey and stuffing mashed potatoes squash baked with butter and brown sugar ,cauliflower ,brussel sprouts ,corn, homemade crannberry sauce, bisquitsor rolls and gravy to smother everthing with, we finish the meal with pumpkin cheesecake smothered in sugar free whipping cream, of course with 35% butter fat who need the sugar.Then everyone groans about how full they are and about an hour later comes back for more cheesecake.:lol:Do you ladies stay on program during the holidays or do you let it go for one day.Oh I think I could talk about this subject for hours :blah::blah::blah:,but I will leave some for another day ,Happy Holidays Ladies

FrouFrou
12-04-2004, 12:13 AM
Hi Ellen~I too am mesmerized by the lights, there is something so magical about them. I too have good memories as a child, and as an adult up until DH#1 passed and then our son was stillborn. While it was hard with DH#1 I managed to work through it and now it is nice thinking about him, not sad anymore. Of course it took a while and the holidays were the worst. But then to lose a baby was even harder and that is still pretty new so it starts out good but I always wish he was here and think about how old he would be and what I would be buying for him. I know though as time passes it will be better just like when losing DH. Anywho...I remember around Christmas when I was younger how I would look out the window and always wish and hope for a white Christmas. We had a few but not many. I do remember Dean Martin, Andy Williams, Carol Burnett, Bob Hope but not so much the others. I loved those shows. I tried to watch the Nick & Jessica special that was on Wednesday and to me it was just dumb. I don't like her playing a dumb blonde, not funny at all. Nothing like the old shows. My favorite old movies are White Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street-love 'em! As for the menu...I usually cook the same thing every year for both Thanksgiving & Christmas, almost the same thing that my mother and grandmother cooked except that they made potato salad instead of mashed potatoes. I started out making the salad but soon turned to mashed potatoes. Our menu is: Turkey & stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, ham w/pineapples, ambrosia, green beans, yams, rolls, DH hashbrown casserole, rolls, pumkin pie, cheesecake and cake or cupcakes. The hashbrown casserole is something DH made when I first met him and DS#1 loves it and demands it. And sometimes I will fix a waldorf salad, and a corn casserole. I don't make those two because no one likes it but me and it seems a waste. The casserole I use a can of creamed corn so that's doesn't seem like much but with the other ingredients...it is usually wasted. And if I do make the waldorf salad rather than make a big bowl I make a small cereal bowl of it and eat on it for two days. I don't like leftovers except during the holidays I will eat leftover turkey, dressing, potatoes and that is about it. If I cook extra chicken sometimes I will use the extra in a salad once in a while. I say once in a while because I don't usually have leftovers. About those testers, I am not sure they work or not. We haven't had a chance to try it. I didn't bother with the lights on the mantel because I had already put up another string and the deers rear is still lit up so...I will let ya know once we use it. I think DH got it at Lowes but do think they have them anywhere they sell Christmas stuff. Okay, now you got me started talking about Christmas stuff and I too could go on and on and on and on...well, you ge tthe point. :)

Tea Rose
12-04-2004, 02:00 AM
Cristi do you like Holiday Inn ? I also love that one and White Christmas, Bells of St Mary's, Miracle of 34th , Christmas in Conneticut, Meet me in St Louis and on and on,I love all the Christmas movies and cartoons as well .What is ambrosia ? You don't remember Bing Crosby? .I don't like the shows with singers like Nick and Jessica Brittany or Christina, I much prefer the traditional type Christmas variety shows when they actually sing Christmas Songs as opposed to their hits, theres another time and place for those type of shows ,I am really sorry to hear about your first husband and baby boy I didn't know that you had lost them both ,every one has crosses to bear don't they ,I am happy that you can now think of them fondly and that you have found your dear husband Vince. On a lighter note ,I am also happy that you got your reindeers butt lit up ,its important to see him coming as well as going :lol: It sounds like you put on quite a feast there ,how many guests do you have at Christmas dinner aside from me :hat: :lol: I can't believe I am still talking , Im like a leaky faucet justs drips and drips ,hopefully I am not as irritating :lol: am I :dunno: gee I hope not but I had better go for now before I become just that.

FrouFrou
12-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Hiya Ellen~

I do remember Bing Crosby, not sure why I left him out. I too love all those old movies. Oh the Nick & Jessica show they did sing Christmas music but it seemed like all the songs she was trying to be sexy. They have to add their little version of the song and I think it totally messes it up. I heard a new twist on Silent Night this morning on the radio and just thought "What the heck?" It really was horrible. yeah, I really don't know what is wrong witht he reindeers butt. :lol: He lights up when he wants to. :lol: And yes, I think I do cook too much food, but I do it so that we have leftovers for two or three days. There are only a few things I will eat leftover but the rest love all the leftovers. So I figure I have to cook so I might as well cook enough to last. Ambrosia is a fruit salad and I have seen it made a bunch of different ways. I make mine with pineapple, mandarin oranges, little bit of coconut, mini-marshmallows and sour cream. Once in a while I will add grapes. My mom and grandma added what I add and a can of fruit cocktail which is fine also. But it is good. And I figure it is only a twice a year thing so what the heck. And NO you are not irritating. I enjoy your posts and your sense of humor-love to laugh. Don't they say laughter is the best medicine? Whoever "they" are.

Marti
12-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Cristi, your Ambrosia, it's made w/sour cream? How does that taste? I've tried fruity stuff like that but it's always been w/whip cream........and after reading this, you have me wanting to eat some! :)

I LOVE "White Christmas"! It's one of my favorite movies to watch this time of year.

There is this station I've been listening to, considered the oldies, and they've been playing Christmas music that's sung by Bing, Dean, among a lot of other people. I really enjoy listening to it. I haven't heard of any christmas song being sung by singers now.....

Anyway....hoping to post photos sometime soon....maybe later on tonight or tomorrow evening.

FrouFrou
12-05-2004, 02:56 PM
Marti~yeppers, I use sour cream. The way it mixes with the marshmallows makes it taste good. I've never made it any other way, and I have seen recipes that also use sour cream. The kids hate sour cream and four of us eat it and they can't taste that it is sour cream. Vince doesn't eat it because he can't stand pineapples, sour cream and has a thing about the mini-marshmallows. Never thought to try it with the whip cream. Can't wait to see your photos.

Ellen~forgot to mention that it is just me, the kids (3) and DH for Thanksgiving and Christmas. My family live out of state and I don't have the opportunity to see them often unfortunately. Dh family hasn't accepted me and my kids so we never see them which is sad. They are only about a hour away.

Yesterday for a lot of the day I watched a bunch of Christmas cartoons and movies. The family channel had Frosty, the one where he got married. Never knew Frosty got married. Then The Night Before Christmas and a couple others then switched and watched the Hallmark channel. Was torturing DS on the way back from Mass with Michael Bolton's Christmas CD. :lol: I love it! Next week we will go around and look at the Christmas lights-I love doing that.

Tea Rose
12-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Hi Cristi:wave: HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE
Its only my two children and their boyfriend/girlfriend and my sons best friend who always comes ,and myself to, not a big crowd but a cozy one , I'm a little nervous this year cooking for someone new,my daughter boyfriend ,I am always afraid of dissappointing anyone.I understand the family situation you are in although I was always invited, both myself and my children were treated like outkasts in a Italion family ,and me being irish . they were none to happy when their first born son married out of the beloved country so to speak :lol: well I don't have that to worry about anymore , to many tears shed on those occassions, I know how you feel , it still hurts , but you make the best of the family you have that does love you. I find it hard on some holidays because the children do go to their grandparents out of respect mostly ,which I have always encouraged inspite of everything ,they also have their BF/GF's families to visit and I understand that completely, I just feel very lonely sometimes on Christmas Eve when everyone is gone and I am all alone . I spend the night preparing the Christmas dinner , stuffing cranberry sauce and pumpkin cheesecakes everything I get done the previous day is helpful,I have gotten pretty used to the routine and I do enjoy the quiet and the beauty of Christmas Eve , They don't leave me alone to long always home by 9:00 pm so its about a 5 hour lull, they sit and chat and offer to help me , and we do spend some quality time on Christmas Eve, but then Christmas day is ours and no one considers for a second going anywhere else but here,and thats a wonderful feeling.

Tea Rose
12-07-2004, 03:01 PM
:mag: Does anyone see any Christmas Decoration picures other than Jane's little Molly all decked out hmmmmmmmm I don't .Mine are coming this week ,:yes:

Tea Rose
12-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Happy Holidays Gals
Where are all the festive pictures , I'm sitting here with my santa hat ,my hot chocolate, with my fuzzy santa slippers on, waiting patiently in suspence.can you picture that:lol:Ok we have been talking about this for more than a month I got in trouble from Cristi:nono: cause she was waiting for Thanksgiving to be over first and now Thanksgiving has been gone for two weeks:shrug: and its three countem three weeks till Christmas, yet I look, and sit, and wait, and nothing, no pictures, no Christmas Cheer ,:cry:I am determined to rally you gals up , :coach: comon girls lets go , I want action , pleaaaaaaaase, pretty please with a marshmallow on top.HO! HO! HO! Lets Go! I want pictures lots and lots of pictures .I will sit here until I see some :tired: ,so If you can't find me you will no where I am. :corn:

Tea Rose
12-07-2004, 06:18 PM
:mag: still here

Tea Rose
12-07-2004, 08:26 PM
Hello Everyone :wave:HAPPY HOLIDAY'S AND HERE'S A TREAT HO HO HO
Yes it is me again, I thought I would post my pumpkin cheesecake recipe so if any of you gals other than Cristi and I think it was Susan would like it, get yourself a pen and paper and jot this down.

PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE BY ELLEN ( everything cheesy all the time)
THIS IS NOT A WEIGHT CONSCIOUS FRIEND SO "BEWARE" :lol:
NOW:chef: GET BAKING :rollpin: __________________________________________________ _____
Serves: as many as you want it to ,supposedly 16 depending on the size of the peice :hungry:
Preperation time: around 25 minutes ,depending on how fast or slow you are
cooking time: 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on your oven so follow the usual cheesecake doneness formula.
cooling time : 2 hours , but can be made a day ahead and refrigerated covered .
chilling time : several hours or overnight

Ok are you ready to make cheesecake .
I use 2 cups of crushed gingersnaps--- I use pantry brand ginger cookies
any good gingersnap cookie will do
6 tablespoons melted butter if the mixture is dry add a bit more butter
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 cup of chopped unsalted chopped roasted almonds
combine crushed gingersnaps ,butter ,brown sugar,cinnamon and roasted
almonds .
press into a lightly greased 10" springform cake pan, pat firmly and chill
The crust is now done, pat yourself on the back and sip wine, not carved in
stone

Filling
3 lbs of softened cream cheese -- I use philly regular lots of fat.
1 1/2 cups of sugar granulated
5 x-large eggs or large
1/4 cup of flour
1 can of solid pack pumpkin 21 0z's
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
do the spice taste test to see if its spicey enough if not adjust to your tastebud
preference.
now that you have all the ingredients assembled , sip wine,not mandatory at this
stage of the process.
Are you ready to mix ,ok
Beat the softened cream cheese with electric mixer until fluffy
Slooowly beat in sugar
Add eggs one at a time , beating well after each addition
Gradually beat in flour,pumpkin and spices
Pour batter over crust
Your filling is now done ,again congratulate yourself and reward appropriately.

Bake this tasty morsal in a pre heated 325 degree oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or
untill filling is set

Cool this luscious cheesecake in pan on a wire rack for 1-2 hours
Refrigerate for several hours or overnight ,you may sleep with the cheesecake
for its protection.but is not mandatory.
You have finished the process you may slug back that wine and enjoy the night:hat: :lol:

Day of serving and Garnishes of choice .
I whip up a quart of 35% whipping cream -do not add sugar ,unless you feel the
need to , but this is rich enough .
Smother the said cheesecake in whipping cream and decorate with unsalted
roasted or sliced almonds , your preference of course, decorate with meringue snowflakes
,or rolled wafer cookies or more whipped cream, decorating is entirely
up to you not required ,
ENJOY EVERYONE I HOPE YOU LIKE IT AS MUCH AS WE DO:crossed:

FrouFrou
12-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks for sharing the recipe Ellen. It sounds so yummy and I definitely will make one for Christmas dinner, or I should say Christmas Eve dinner. Can't wait to see your pics. I will be having some developed this weekend. Will do the one-hour other wise it will be another week before getting them back. Anyway...I gotta go for now.

Tea Rose
12-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Cristi I really hope you do enjoy the cheesecake , and your welcome,anytime .I borrowed a digital camera they are so much fun , I was taking pictures left and right before I realized it I had filled the card . I think I took over a hundred pictures of decorations pets and kids:lol: its so easy to do with those camera's. I had a great time ,I would love one of those for myself.I didn't know that they were so easy to use, I always imagine things like that to be complicated . I don't know about loading them onto discs or anything thats where my son comes in, and I also want to make pictures so I can make my Christmas cards . I know the disc is loaded so my pics will be here as soon as my son has a minute free after work. I am excited to see yours as well as everyone's who wants to share them,it should be great fun .

Marti
12-08-2004, 01:48 AM
I will get some pictures posted tomorrow after work. I will take some of the tree and the little end table.....I didn't go all out like I wanted to, but that's ok, it's still festive here!

Looking forward to pictures being posted!

FrouFrou
12-08-2004, 03:45 PM
DO NOT POST HERE! PLEASE head on over to Christmas/New Years talk #2 :)