Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-03-2004, 05:41 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Default Heart Rate "Above Zone"

Okay, I suppose I could probably surf the web and find an answer of some kind to this question, but I'm hoping that someone here can explain it in a way that makes sense to this "exercise newbie".

I've been working on an interval setting on the elliptical machine. I've worked up to doing 160 steps a minute (or more) during the valleys and 170 (or more) for the hills. I noticed today that, using the heart rate monitor on the elliptical machine, my heart rate went from the cardio zone to the "above zone" area. I realize that's probably dangerous, but can someone explain to me what this zone is, and why it is dangerous? This morning, I found it tough to get done far enough to be below this "above zone" but still firmly in the "cardiovascular zone". Anyone have any ideas? I was at a rate of 162, and I'm at 231 pounds, 5'11" height and 29 years old. (not sure what we use to calculate the heart rate...sure I could find that too...)

Would love your help on this...and appreciate your patience with my "newbieness"!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:46 PM   #2  

First, those heart rate monitors are not always accurate. I'm assuming you plugged in your weight, age, etc before starting? If not, you DEFINITELY can't go by the numbers. If you did, I'd still take 'em with a grain of salt. Depending on the machine, it might be using the same range for everyone, which is pointless.

Second, "the zone" is different for everyone, because as you age, your heart beat range generally decreases. There are lots of forumulas out there for calculating your aerobic zone, where you subtract your age from a number like 220. The problem is that this forumla only works for about 80% of the population. Your true heartbeat range might be higher or lower, naturally. The only way to get your true heartbeat rates are to have a doctor-supervised treadmill test.

Failing that, you can use the Perceived Rate of Exertion scale. Studies have proven that, with practice, it is just as effective as actual heart rate monitoring. The idea is that you think of your exertion along a scale of 1 to 10 (or, some use 1 to 20). Think of 1 as being completely at rest, and 10 being going as hard and fast as you can, on the verge of keeling over from a heart attack. After a sufficient warm-up, your goal is to work out somewhere between a 6 and an 8. If you are doing intervals you might get up to 9 for short bursts. Along with that is the "talk test" -- if you are above 8, you won't be able to talk at ALL. At an 8, you can talk in short phrases.

The reason that you don't want to work above 8, or 80% of your max heart rate, is that (a) if you have an undiagnosed heart problem that could spell trouble, and (b) at that point the exercise stops being aerobic and starts being anerobic. That means that your body is no longer getting in and processing enough oxygen to support the activity. The whole point of aerobic, or cardio-vascular exercise, is to improve heart-lung function, lung capacity, etc. If you cross into the anerobic zone, you are defeating the purpose of the activity.

Hope that helps!
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 05:01 PM   #3  

Hi Beachgirl:

I'm no fitness expert, but basically the heart rate charts are to help you build up stamina and heart/lung capacity safely. The old standard (220 minus your age) which in your case would be 191 which is your maximum heart rate.

For cardio vascular training purposes experts say to exercise in the 60-70% range which would be 191 x .60 = 114 beats per minute for 60 % and then 191 x .70 = 133 beats per minute. So for you, the simple formula gives you 114-133 beats per minute for your best exercise levels.

So, by this calculation - 162 beats would be in your "above zone". In fact, it's 85% of your maximum heart rate. So, you might be working out at too high a level for your heart's health. Many of the exercise books I've read all suggest working out at lower levels for longer periods of time for burning fat. I walk for an hour, for me half hour doesn't get into the fat stores - I'm still using blood glucose for energy. I need that next half hour for my system to exhaust the blood glucose and go to my fat stores for energy. Fire needs oxygen to burn, and likewise you need oxygen to burn off energy sources (stored fat or blood sugar) - that's why you don't want to go anerobic because that means "without oxygen".

I don't use exercise drinks, just plain water if I'm thirsty. I know when I get into my fat stores for energy because I start to get hungry.... then when my body doesn't get food it goes looking for it's energy fuel on my hips and tummy - hee, hee.

I agree that you should go by what your body tells you. If you are huffing and puffing and can't talk, then you're going too fast for your best health. If you're breathing hard, but can still talk... that's ok because you're in your cadio zone.

I also agree that exercise machines are unpredictable for heart rate, especially if you can't key in your own personal info, even then I still don't trust them. I bought a very uncomplicated strap on heart rate monitor at Wal-Mart for $50. It doesn't have a lot of extras, just heart rate... no little chimes for over or under... just plain and simple. I wear it under my bra, and the readout is on a wrist watch. Makes it real easy to read when I'm out walking.

A good place for more info on heart rate and all is a book store. You can browse a lot of walking and jogging books for formulas and all that. Or on the net run a search for heart rate training zone or something like that. There's some complicated formulas that involve your resting heart rate also. I like Bob Greene - he's the one that did the book with Oprah "Make the Connection", he also has a newer one "Get With the Program" that has great info on heart rate and like funniegrrl talked about - the perceived exertion method.

Good luck. As your lungs and heart get in better shape, you do have to go faster for the same heart rate. That's the fun part - seeing the improvement.

Allie
pyxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:37 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Thank you both so very, very much for this great information!!! I really appreciate the time you put into your posts...they are very helpful! :

I bet you are right...I'm doing an interval for 2 minutes at a pace of about 6 or 7, and then another interval for 2 minutes, but at an 8 or 9. Back and forth for a half hour. Wonder if that's too long an "interval"? I definitely need to back up so it's more like an 8.

I always wonder if I'll look like a freak trying the talking test when there's no one next to me to talk to?
Old 11-06-2004, 10:45 PM   #5  

Hi Beachgal:

Sounds like you have a good plan. Intervals is the best way to faster progress, I've read. When I'm on my treadmill I walk a bit faster, or add incline to make the workout harder while the lights to go up hill on the display - about 1/4 a lap. I usually don't start doing it until I've been going for 10 min or so, that way I've given my muscles and cardio system a chance to warm up. I'm 52, so I have to take it more cautiously than I did when I was a spring chick like you.

I found my "Get with the Program" book and checked back on heart rates. Bob Greene suggests training in the 7 range as being optimal. He says that doing an 8 level (other than short intervals) gives no added benefits and adds more risks to the body.

He advises to train in the level 7 range for weight loss- " moderately high intensity exercise increases your cardiovascular power, which increases your body's ability to perform work and leads to a higher metabolism. This decreases your set point and the amount of body fat that you'll maintain. In short, you get in better shape"

"The Zone is the perfect intensity level at which to perform your cardiovasscular exercise - between 70 and 80 percent of your maximum ability".

I workout for an hour in my 70-75% range 4-5 times a week. I used the perceived effort tables at first, and then saved up to get the monitor. We live on a tight budget but I figured I saved at least $5 week on groceries by eating less so I took $5 a week cash back and saved it towards rewards. Took me several months, but I got my monitor ! :-) I liked having it to help me figure my intensity levels. After a few weeks with it, I know by feel if I'm in my zone or slacking off and daydreaming instead of fitness walking. For me it's a steady rhythmic breathing, just on the cusp of huffing and puffing... but not there yet. If I find myself huffing & puffing, I back off a bit till my breathing is noticeable but steady.

Allie

SW/258 CW/156 GW/140-145 (reached it & maintained for 6 months, then injury)
pyxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:24 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Allie, thanks so much...great information! And I loved how you saved for your monitor...good for you!
Old 11-21-2004, 08:16 PM   #7  

On my elliptical I set it to a target heartrate of 178 bpm. It's pretty convenient because it has a chest strap and the machine adjusts the intensity to keep it at that rate. When I first started using an elliptical, I would hit 160 bpm just by looking at the dang thing. After time though I really have to push myself (and the machine) pretty hard to get up to that rate. A typical workout involves a warmup period of 10 or so minutes followed by 52 minutes of the hardest intensity it can muster up. By 160 to 170 steps a minute I guess would be the same as 80 to 85 rpm, which is impressive. I think I am around 50-60 rpm during a workout. Fast and easy, slow and hard, it's great the workout you can get from an elliptical.
markgm is offline   Reply With Quote