South Beach Diet - Creative ways to sneak in veggies???

beachgal
11-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Hi!

So, since most (or all?) of us are concerned with getting more and more veggies into our diets, let's share the sneaky ways we are doing it!

I have been using angel hair cabbage instead of shredded lettuce on sandwiches...think I might use it for the taco bake, too!
I've been using baby spinach and spring mixes rather than iceberg to try to pump up the nutritional value of meals

What creative things are you doing? :D

Coolmom
11-03-2004, 09:04 AM
I finally got myself on to the SB boards....i am new and on day 11....
I enjoy reading your posts-they are very helpful to me.
I have been using that shredded lettuce in my tuna salads along with the shredded lowfat cheese. Satisfying.
Also been roasting up alot of veggies....and to my surprise they are so delicious. Never realized that roasting them brought out such flavor...and so simple to do.
COOLMOMLAURIE

Ruthxxx
11-03-2004, 09:13 AM
I pick the darkest green lettuce I can find - usually Romaine or spring mix.
I try to drink a V8 every morning.
Veggie soups are cheap, easy and very filling. I make my own with chicken or beef stock.
On Phase II, veggie wraps with some Laughing Cow cheese are just great in a whole wheat tortilla or as a pocket in a whole wheat pita. You can get 2 cups of chopped veggies in one if you saute them in olive oil for a bit!
Veggies with hummus are a great snack or light lunch.

Barb0522
11-03-2004, 09:14 AM
During phase 1 especially, I would shred up cabbage and use it as a base for Red Snapper Courtbouillon or Shrimp Creole or any dish that would normally go over rice. In phase 2, I might use a mixture of rice and cabbage.

Taco Bake is good since the veggies are cut up small.

The Brocolli Cheese soup is wonderful. I LOVE the chunks of brocolli but if you don't, you can put more than 1/3 of it in the food processor to make it creamy. While it is phase 2, if you left the WW flour out, it should still taste good but just be a little thinner.

I also add chopped up spinach to many of my soups and pasta sauces. Tomatoes and onions go in almost everything I cook. I've also found out that my son eats his vegetables better if I make sure they are not overcooked. My husband likes his half-dead so he microwaves his portion to get it softer.

wendyjo
11-03-2004, 09:27 AM
I have to sneak veges into my recipes to get DH to eat any. For exmple, the "cheese stuffed beef rolls" recipe calls for zuchini to be sliced and put in the pan along side the beef rolls. Well, DH won't eat those so I also finely chop up some of zuchini and add it to the cheese mix that you stuff the rolls with. I also add finely chopped mushrooms to alot of recipes, like chile, soups, and even meatloaf.

I also add a ton of torn up fresh spinach to my egg beaters each morning, then nuke for 3 minutes and add a slice of mozarella. It's quick and I get alot of spinach that way.

I also add canned tomatos to anything I can - soups, sauces, sauted meats and veges.

chick_on_the_beach
11-03-2004, 01:17 PM
I make up a big pot of vegie soup (minestrone with kidney beans or pea and ham) in the weekend then have a cup before most meals. It makes a salad lunch more substantial and it is healthier than grabbing an off plan snack.

Bups
11-03-2004, 01:53 PM
Wow thanks for that great info!

I don't really have anything to add - although I have heard of grating zucchini into meatloaves and tomato sauces.

I have been checking out a lot of different SBD forums, and this one is one of the few that actually tells you to eat lots of veggies - the typical menu on many of the others is mostly protien.

I am glad to see you ladies are so sensible :D

I am going to have to try the roasted veggies - as I am finding there are less veggies than I thought that I actually like.

One that I do is roasted curried cauliflower - cauliflower, olive oil, curry powder (to taste) and salt and pepper - cook to taste (I usually throw in some brussel sprouts to this for DH).

Kim

beachgal
11-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Kim, do you broil them, or saute, or what? I'm trying, very hard, to learn to like cauliflower. ;) And yes, it seems the more veggies you eat, the more weight you lose...and the healthier you are, too! I think a lot of people get SBD confused with Atkins when they are vastly different. You made a good choice, I think! :D I love the balance of SBD.

Does anyone have a good recipe for asparagus? I've got some in my fridge that I want to make tonight...but no clue what to do with them but steam them. Hmmm....:chin:

Love all this info!

wendyjo
11-03-2004, 03:12 PM
The roasted vege recipe in the SBD book is very good. As far as asparagus goes, well, I just steam it in the micro for a few minutes and then put a few plops of butter substitute on it...I honestly don't think it gets any better than that.

Ruthxxx
11-03-2004, 03:15 PM
You can roast asparagus in the oven with some olive oil, garlic and a bit of Parmesan. 20 mins at 350 should do it. Where the heck do you get asparagus this time of year? South America?

a broad abroad
11-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Asparagus is great thrown into a stir-fry, plus stir-frys are quick and easy. Don't forget other veggies, too as they can almost all be substituted and long as they are cut about the same size, and the firmest ones are put in first to cook a little longer.

Bups
11-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Beachgal - I just roast (in an open casserole dish) at 350 until tender-crisp. Prob about 25 mins. They brown up a bit - I stir them up a bit while cooking. The curry favour is a nice change from plain ole cauliflower.

cheri832
11-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Laurie,

You can toss it with a spoon of pesto after steaming......(I throw in some fresh tomato wedges too in this one)....

Or... Steam and marinate in the fridge in vinagrette salad dressing. That's good too.
Oooo..I love asparagus.

Bamiegurl
11-03-2004, 05:26 PM
I'm a big saute/stir fry gal myself. I use cabbage, onions, brocolli, mushrooms, bell peppers and anything else I have to throw in there. Then I will throw in some chicken tenders or something for my meat. (I usually slice it up) That is the best way for me to get my veggies. I always buy romaine lettuce for home and the spring mix and mix them together. I am really tryin to get more of my veggies in daily.

beachgal
11-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Ooh, you ladies have great ideas! :T I'm tossed between Ruth's idea and Cheri's pesto idea. Maybe both! ;) Ruth, I have no idea where they came from, but they were slender, fresh stalks, so I couldn't resist...the were something like 3.99 a pound! :faint:

Cheri, the cauliflower sounds yummy...I'll have to try that! :yes:

Okay, so what do you all do with brussel sprouts? Does anyone eat them? :?: They have baby ones on sale at the market, and I was tempted, but had no idea if I would even like them! :chin:

Barb0522
11-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Laurie,

I normally buy brussel sprouts frozen but I have bought them fresh before. If you buy fresh you need to make a small X at the bottom of each sprout. That way the thicker part cooks at the same rate as the leafier part. I normally microwave them but you could cook them on the stovetop in some water. Even my son likes to peel them and eat them occasionally.

fireflynova
11-03-2004, 07:03 PM
I steam cauliflower and then put it in a big bowl, coat with smart balance and parmesan cheese.. tastes like elbows noodles with cheese & butter!! SOO good. Plus, it fills me up - and I can legally eat the WHOLE bowl. ;)

beachgal
11-04-2004, 10:48 AM
Cool, Barb, I'll have to try it! What do you put on them? About boiling...I read somewhere that when you boil veggies, their nutrients leach into the water and you lose them. The best way to retain nutrients is the steam or to cook in the microwave.

Firefly, that *does* sound good... :T I'll have to try it!

cheri832
11-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Laurie,
Brussel sprouts taste like cabbage...only stronger.

wendyjo
11-04-2004, 11:40 AM
*running away from brussel sprouts*

Man, I hate those thing!

beachgal
11-04-2004, 03:05 PM
:lol3: Wendy! :D That's how I feel about lima beans. :tied:

I LOVE cabbage...something about being of Eastern European descent I think. :chin: I'm going to have to try those little cuties! But what do I put on them? Just smart balance and salt? Something more?

Bamiegurl
11-04-2004, 04:49 PM
I like 'em plain but DH puts butter on 'em.

Bups
11-05-2004, 08:13 AM
See I like cabbage but I HATE brussel sprouts. My DH loves them and each time I make them for him I have one just to see if I still hate them - he usually just has butter and salt on them.

I heard of a recipe where you actually slice them thinly so that they shred and then stirfry them in a little sesame oil and throw in some sesame seeds - that actually sounds good - but I haven't tryed it yet.

Ewww Lima beans! *shudder* memories of childhood - (and mixing your turnip in with your mashed potatoes does NOT hide the taste of turnip - it just makes it ALL taste yucky!) Blech

OK rant over :coffee:

Kim

beachgal
11-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Kim! :lol3:

I read somewhere that as a child, your sour tastebuds are more sensitive and your sweet tastebuds are less sensitive. Then, as you grow older, they switch, with sweet becoming more sensitive and sour becoming less. Thus, as a child, you can't get enough sugar in things (I used to be about a 1/4 cup in a glass of milk! :yikes: ) and dislike veggies that are sour. When you get older, things can be too sweet (that's actually true for me...even though I'm a total sugarholic) and veggies are not as bothersome. (true for me, too)

Interesting! I don't think I've ever had a turnip. I assume that they are not worth trying?

Ooh, another yucky thing...beets! :tied: Seriously...I have tried them about 15 different ways and never liked them. Blech!

a broad abroad
11-06-2004, 03:05 AM
Laurie, I'm usually an advocate for people to try things at least once with an open mind, but we'll give you a pass on the turnips! They are the 'liver' of the veggie kingdom.

ellis
11-06-2004, 07:08 AM
we'll give you a pass on the turnips! They are the 'liver' of the veggie kingdom.
:rofl: :lol3:

Ruthxxx
11-06-2004, 07:54 AM
Cooked turnips are the liver of the veggie kingdom. When I was a kid, I made such a fuss about having to eat them that my Mother finally gave up and served them to me raw. If you knew my Mother, you'd know what a concession this was! Somehow raw works better for me for turnips, broccoli and even parsnips.

Now I'm going to glug my day's glass of V8 so I can count it as a veggie. Eating enough veggies is one of my problems.

wendyjo
11-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Me too Ruth. I have a V8 nearly every morning. I think I get enough veged cause I have a huge huge salad each day for lunch. But I don't think I get enough variety of veges and that they are not spread out enough through out the day.

beachgal
11-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Wendy, I've found that I can hide a multitude of veggies in a salad with little problem...like cauliflower, brocc., carrots, cabbage, chopped radishes, etc. Lots of good stuff! Try having spinach instead of lettuce, too..that makes it even more nutritious!

Ladies, thanks for the advice on Brussel Sprouts. They are good! :D I tried the "Shredded Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Hazelnuts" recipe from Cooking Light and both DH and I really liked them! I'll post the recipe as soon as I can.

You are killing me about turnips! Guess I should put them on my do not try list! :lol3:

BTW, can anyone tell me what the heck a marrow is? I don't want to try one in England if they are really as disgusting as everyone says they are. According to my Scottish friend Helen, she'd basically rather eat poop than marrow. :lol:

Bups
11-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Laurie - I did a google search and this is what I found:

http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/marrow+(vegetable)

marrow (VEGETABLE) UK

noun {C or U} (MAINLY US squash)

a long round vegetable with a thick green or yellow skin, white flesh and a lot of seeds at its centre

Kind of sounds like zucchini to me.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vegetable%20marrow

This one says it is any of various squash plants grown for their elongated fruit with smooth dark green skin and whitish flesh.

So there you go - plain ole squash - not exactly what I consider appealing but not disgusting either.

HTH
Kim

ellis
11-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Isn't that what Hercule Poirot grew when he retired? Marrows. :yes: Large ones.

Special K
11-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Laurie,

I happen to love Brussels Sprouts no matter how they are cooked! My favorite way to cook them is to roast them. I get them fresh, add some olive oil, black pepper, and seasoned salt, and cook them at 425 degrees for about 28-30 minutes. They get nice and tender and are tasty!

Annie-Rose
11-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Hello :wave: , I'm not on South Beach but eat in a similar way I think???
Marrows are o.k. You can stuff them with tomatoes and peppers and onions and bake them. But they are like big Zucchinis.
I like to roast red peppers and add them to a tomato sauce.
Also if you half a big red pepper long ways and stuff it with tomatoes, garlic, basil and a bit of olive oil and roast in a hotish oven for about 40 mins IT IS JUST DELISH! I love oven roasted veg. Green peppers are nice if you stuff them with tuna, onion and sweet corn. (Are you allowed sweetcorn?)
I also substitute bean sprouts and shredded cabbage for rice when having chinese type meals and it sounds weird but a salad of raw broccoli, tomato, cucumber, onions, green peppers and mushrooms is lovely with a curry based sauce. (I'm going to do it with cauliflower now too.)
oooh I feel hungry now! :rolleyes:

Bamiegurl
11-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Well I don't know that I have ever tried turnips but I love turnip greens! YUMYUM! Marrows never had it and probably never will. I don't do squash! Not even spaghetti squash! I try to add alot to my salads as well. I don't know that you can ever eat to many veggies can you? haha

beachgal
11-11-2004, 11:34 AM
Wow, Bamie! I love squash! Isn't taste interesting?

Yup, Ellis, that's exactly what he grew! And I laughed because I could just see my Scottish friend wrinkling up her nose and saying Scottish curses about the "bloody marrows".

So, they are like eggplant and kind of like zucchini? Do they grow on vines?

a broad abroad
11-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Marrow - I've got a great veggie cookbook that says marrows are "any variety of summer squash" and goes on to say a marrow is a mature courgette (zucchini) and that "vegetable marrow is the proper name for the large prize squash, beloved of harvest festivals and country fairs." Plus it also shows two pictures of spaghetti and pattypan squashes.

beachgal
11-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Now that's interesting! I asked my Scottish friend if marrows are like zucchini, and she said, no, they are worse. ;) I love Scottish humor!

Thanks A Broad!

ellis
11-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Do they grow on vines?
No, they grow on ruddy trees.

beachgal
11-12-2004, 09:22 AM
Ellis, do you not like marrows either? ;)

Heidi
11-12-2004, 09:45 AM
OK, I just got into this thread and there is some wonderful advice here. Thanks a million. Here is my latest discovery:

Do a google search for any recipe called "Aloo Gobi" which is curried potatoes and cauliflower. Subst chick peas for the potatoes. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. If any of you have the dvd of "Bend it Like Beckham" there's a hilarious cooking segment as an additional feature showing the director cooking aloo gobi with her mother watching over her shoulder. In case you want to make it a Dinner & Movie idea ---- heh, good idea for a thread!

Ruthxxx
11-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Marrows are just over grown zucchinis. They are gross and IMHO completely tasteless. They come in two varieties - bush and vine. The bush variety is really just a compact and more branching vine.
There! That's all I know.

DonnaD
11-12-2004, 11:28 AM
back to asparagus in the cold weather..I found it frozen. Thin stalks, expensive but good. I prefer to roast in the oven w/garlic olive oil and parmasean. yum Of course I don't like alot of veggies but the ones I like tend to be seasonal and expensive :lol:

I had never had a turnip in my life til about 2yrs ago on Thanksgiving at a friends house. The boil and then mash turnips and it tasted like squash. Was actually pretty good. I think I might call her for recipe.

Now I do love cabbage but never cook it because everyone complains about the smell. But brussel sprouts don't smell like cabbage when they cook, they smell more like ........feet :lol: I'm almost tempted to try again because they seem like they may be easier to prepare because they are small and you can get them frozen.

anyway, thanks for the info ladies :thanks:

ttyl :D

Barb0522
11-12-2004, 08:22 PM
I had some wonderful veggies at lunch today (I was home on a vacation day) with grilled tilapia. I took some olive oil and got it hot. Then I tossed in some moderately sized chunks of zucchini, mushroom and onions. I let those cook (tossing often) and then added in some Italian seasoning and some chopped ginger. It was really good and I placed the fish on top and ate it all together. It was a wonderful and healthy lunch.

Heidi
11-13-2004, 02:04 PM
mmmmmmm! Inspiration for tonight's dinner. Thanks.

beachgal
04-19-2005, 01:54 PM
bump for sunny. :D

2ndChance
04-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Beachgal, I use one pkg (frozen) or one small head of cauliflower, cook in microwave,
then puree it (like SB "mashed" potatoes) and use this to thicken the cheese broccoli soup...skip the flour. It make the soup really smooth and creamy and you get a double dose of veggies!!!!!!!

beach bum
04-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Hi:) I use my some of my veggies for breakfast:

such as a shredded mozz on a tomato blossom.

and

shredded mozz, tomato sauce over a cucumber boat.

put both in the toaster oven to melt the cheese.

Hugs :) BB

AdiaFaith
04-19-2005, 04:03 PM
That cucumber boat sounds good.

*Victoria*
04-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Hey!
I am usually taking ideas from you guys but for once I have one to add:) I Love tomato and onion salad. I just slice a large tomato and an onion and sprinkle pepper, salt and a bit of feta cheese on it ,blue cheese is good or balsamic viniagrette. I love it as a side for dinner or snack!

2BFIT1
04-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Heidi, Thanks for the Aloo Gobi suggestion. I'm going to try it this week.

Louise1013
04-19-2005, 09:01 PM
We have excellent asparagus right now, super cheap. My husband loves it in his omelets in the morning and we wrap it in foil with EVOO and seasoning, toss it on the grill while cooking chicken or burgers and its an instant side.

Yummy!

Sunnybunny
04-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Wow!!! Thanks Laurie, I am on veggie info. overload!!!

Last night I made lean pork tenderloin, steamed broccoli and made a salad with tomatoes, radishes, carrots, and onion! I am on my way to veggie heaven!