South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 08:56 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lightbulb Creative ways to sneak in veggies???

Hi!

So, since most (or all?) of us are concerned with getting more and more veggies into our diets, let's share the sneaky ways we are doing it!
  • I have been using angel hair cabbage instead of shredded lettuce on sandwiches...think I might use it for the taco bake, too!
  • I've been using baby spinach and spring mixes rather than iceberg to try to pump up the nutritional value of meals

What creative things are you doing?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:04 AM   #2  

Smile Hey Laurie

I finally got myself on to the SB boards....i am new and on day 11....
I enjoy reading your posts-they are very helpful to me.
I have been using that shredded lettuce in my tuna salads along with the shredded lowfat cheese. Satisfying.
Also been roasting up alot of veggies....and to my surprise they are so delicious. Never realized that roasting them brought out such flavor...and so simple to do.
COOLMOMLAURIE
Old 11-03-2004, 09:13 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I pick the darkest green lettuce I can find - usually Romaine or spring mix.
I try to drink a V8 every morning.
Veggie soups are cheap, easy and very filling. I make my own with chicken or beef stock.
On Phase II, veggie wraps with some Laughing Cow cheese are just great in a whole wheat tortilla or as a pocket in a whole wheat pita. You can get 2 cups of chopped veggies in one if you saute them in olive oil for a bit!
Veggies with hummus are a great snack or light lunch.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:14 AM   #4  

During phase 1 especially, I would shred up cabbage and use it as a base for Red Snapper Courtbouillon or Shrimp Creole or any dish that would normally go over rice. In phase 2, I might use a mixture of rice and cabbage.

Taco Bake is good since the veggies are cut up small.

The Brocolli Cheese soup is wonderful. I LOVE the chunks of brocolli but if you don't, you can put more than 1/3 of it in the food processor to make it creamy. While it is phase 2, if you left the WW flour out, it should still taste good but just be a little thinner.

I also add chopped up spinach to many of my soups and pasta sauces. Tomatoes and onions go in almost everything I cook. I've also found out that my son eats his vegetables better if I make sure they are not overcooked. My husband likes his half-dead so he microwaves his portion to get it softer.

Last edited by Barb0522; 11-03-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:27 AM   #5  

I have to sneak veges into my recipes to get DH to eat any. For exmple, the "cheese stuffed beef rolls" recipe calls for zuchini to be sliced and put in the pan along side the beef rolls. Well, DH won't eat those so I also finely chop up some of zuchini and add it to the cheese mix that you stuff the rolls with. I also add finely chopped mushrooms to alot of recipes, like chile, soups, and even meatloaf.

I also add a ton of torn up fresh spinach to my egg beaters each morning, then nuke for 3 minutes and add a slice of mozarella. It's quick and I get alot of spinach that way.

I also add canned tomatos to anything I can - soups, sauces, sauted meats and veges.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:17 PM   #6  

I make up a big pot of vegie soup (minestrone with kidney beans or pea and ham) in the weekend then have a cup before most meals. It makes a salad lunch more substantial and it is healthier than grabbing an off plan snack.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:53 PM   #7  
Trapped Skinny Person

Wow thanks for that great info!

I don't really have anything to add - although I have heard of grating zucchini into meatloaves and tomato sauces.

I have been checking out a lot of different SBD forums, and this one is one of the few that actually tells you to eat lots of veggies - the typical menu on many of the others is mostly protien.

I am glad to see you ladies are so sensible

I am going to have to try the roasted veggies - as I am finding there are less veggies than I thought that I actually like.

One that I do is roasted curried cauliflower - cauliflower, olive oil, curry powder (to taste) and salt and pepper - cook to taste (I usually throw in some brussel sprouts to this for DH).

Kim
Old 11-03-2004, 02:15 PM   #8  
I can do this!

Kim, do you broil them, or saute, or what? I'm trying, very hard, to learn to like cauliflower. And yes, it seems the more veggies you eat, the more weight you lose...and the healthier you are, too! I think a lot of people get SBD confused with Atkins when they are vastly different. You made a good choice, I think! I love the balance of SBD.

Does anyone have a good recipe for asparagus? I've got some in my fridge that I want to make tonight...but no clue what to do with them but steam them. Hmmm....

Love all this info!
Old 11-03-2004, 03:12 PM   #9  

The roasted vege recipe in the SBD book is very good. As far as asparagus goes, well, I just steam it in the micro for a few minutes and then put a few plops of butter substitute on it...I honestly don't think it gets any better than that.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:15 PM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You can roast asparagus in the oven with some olive oil, garlic and a bit of Parmesan. 20 mins at 350 should do it. Where the heck do you get asparagus this time of year? South America?
Old 11-03-2004, 03:27 PM   #11  
i luv my dog!

Asparagus is great thrown into a stir-fry, plus stir-frys are quick and easy. Don't forget other veggies, too as they can almost all be substituted and long as they are cut about the same size, and the firmest ones are put in first to cook a little longer.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:28 PM   #12  
Trapped Skinny Person

Beachgal - I just roast (in an open casserole dish) at 350 until tender-crisp. Prob about 25 mins. They brown up a bit - I stir them up a bit while cooking. The curry favour is a nice change from plain ole cauliflower.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:19 PM   #13  

Default Asparagus

Laurie,

You can toss it with a spoon of pesto after steaming......(I throw in some fresh tomato wedges too in this one)....

Or... Steam and marinate in the fridge in vinagrette salad dressing. That's good too.
Oooo..I love asparagus.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:26 PM   #14  
A Lily from my yard!

I'm a big saute/stir fry gal myself. I use cabbage, onions, brocolli, mushrooms, bell peppers and anything else I have to throw in there. Then I will throw in some chicken tenders or something for my meat. (I usually slice it up) That is the best way for me to get my veggies. I always buy romaine lettuce for home and the spring mix and mix them together. I am really tryin to get more of my veggies in daily.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:29 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Ooh, you ladies have great ideas! I'm tossed between Ruth's idea and Cheri's pesto idea. Maybe both! Ruth, I have no idea where they came from, but they were slender, fresh stalks, so I couldn't resist...the were something like 3.99 a pound!

Cheri, the cauliflower sounds yummy...I'll have to try that!

Okay, so what do you all do with brussel sprouts? Does anyone eat them? They have baby ones on sale at the market, and I was tempted, but had no idea if I would even like them!
Closed Thread