Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-02-2004, 03:41 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Question What to do after you lift to failure?

Hi!

So, I've been working harder at trying to lift to failure (LTF) during my strength training workouts. But I am at a loss on what to do next! Here's what usually happens:

Let's say that I'm doing four sets on a vertical chest press, 12@35 lbs., 15 @ 40 lbs., 15@ 40 lbs., and 12 @ 40 lbs. I get through the first two sets with no problems. But I get to 12 in the third set and hit failure. Now what? Do I move on to the fourth set after resting? Do I try to finish the third set after resting (i.e. do the last three in that set)? If I still can't finish it on the second try, do I try again until I finish?

Help!

Thank you!!!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:52 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This would probably be a better question for LWL but...

What I do is rest then go to the 4th set. I also go up in weight so for your example I'd do...
15@30 (start lower because you are reaching failure on 3rd set), 15@35, 15@40 (or however many you can do, if you are having trouble at 10 or so, then stay same weight for 4th set), 15@45 (or however many you can do).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:58 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Good point, Nelie...
Michelle, should I move this to LWL or is this okay for now?
Old 11-02-2004, 05:09 PM   #4  
Meg

Hee hee -- I found you here, Laurie!! No, don't move the question - it's a good one for right here.

When you reach failure, that set is DONE. You don't ever go back and do any more reps in it. Nope, take a rest and go on to your next set. Sometimes it's good to go into a workout without any preconceived notion of how many reps you're going to do at a particular weight; just go as long as you can (but pay attention to how many reps that ends up to be since that will tell you if the weight is too heavy or too light or just right).

Using your example, you do your warm-up set of 12@35 and stop there, since you've got more sets to go and you aren't trying to burn out on the first set. Second set - do the 15@40 and stop (you still have two more sets to go) OR you could go to failure. Third set - use 40 and definitely go to failure - it doesn't matter if it's 6 reps or 15 (if it's more than 15, that's telling you the weight is too light). And the same thing for the last set - take a rest and try 40 again and go to failure. See how the third set compares to the fourth set - usually you'll get a few less on the last set, even if it's the same weight as the third set.

Another way you could do it is like Nelie suggested - to increase the weight for each set, so you'd do your warm-up set @35, second set @40 to failure, third @45 to failure and on the fourth, you could try 50 to failure. You'll do fewer reps each set since the weight's increasing every set.

I try to pick a weight that I go to failure with after 10 - 15 reps. Sometimes I'll go heavier, so that I end up with 8 - 10 reps, but I don't usually use a weight that I can do more than 15 reps with unless I'm warming up.

I hope that helps a little!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:37 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Great advice, Meg! That makes sense.

I appreciate it! And I'm glad you found me.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

oh wow I totally have a better understanding of lifting to failure now! Thanks meg!

Laurie sorry I didn't see your question earlier, I was busy writing my thesis for one of my classes, which is entitled The American Diet vs. A Healthy Diet. Should be a good one BTW you are doing wonderful!! I'm so proud of you

Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:42 AM   #7  
Meg

If you ever have time, I'd love to hear more about your thesis, Michelle!
Old 11-05-2004, 04:44 PM   #8  
I can do this!

Thanks, Michelle!

I would love to hear more about your thesis, too! What degree are you working towards? Good for you!
Old 11-05-2004, 07:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I will post it in the hen house when I'm done with it if you all would like to read it I'm not very adept at writing so it will be good to have some feedback on it

I'm first getting my Associates in Business and then going on to my bachelors in accounting, or who knows by time I get my associates I may want to go to another field within the business industry.

Any tips ladies? Its been almost 10 years since I was in school but I'm so proud that I decided to go back at all. I'm going to make a career for myself and a nice living for my family I'd like to work more so my husband doesn't have to work so hard.

Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 05:21 AM   #10  
Meg

Good for you, Michelle!