Support Groups - Singles Supporting Singles #2

View Full Version : Singles Supporting Singles #2

SheriaVa
11-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Here we are in our new home! The other one was getting a little long in the tooth. Hope this is okay with everyone. I am gonna TRY to link from the old one to this one...we'll see if I can figure it out! :coffee:

SkinnyBoPeep
11-03-2004, 02:34 AM
Thanks, SheriaVa, for the new thread! :thanks:

Hi everyone. Hope you all had a good day. Just checking in...

Kathy, best of luck to you tomorrow (or today since you are in NY) with your MRI and your tooth! How's your back with your changed pt routine? Hang in there, that can't be fun, but alas many times the things that are good for us aren't (sigh).

Janet, way to go getting rid of that candy! That kid must have thought he was dreaming. His mom is probably hating you right now as he is bouncing off the ceiling on a sugar high no doubt. And great work on the raking! It's funny, but I can walk for an hour or use the ellipse for a good bit of time and I don't feel nearly as wiped out as after an hour of gardening. You've got to love exercise that actually results in something immediately tangible like a clean yard or newly planted flowers!

Things are still zipping along for me. I'm now down 25 pounds!!! 250's here I come! The key was actually adding some calories. I never believed the whole "starvation mode" thing, thinking that if that were true that anorexics would be out of business, but I guess it is possible. I thought I was eating more calories than I was, but was coming in consistently below 1200 (checked on FitDay). So I added more and since have dropped 2.5 pounds. Go figure... I talked myself into walking tonight and as usual felt so good when I was out there that I wondered why I fight it so hard. I hope someday to WANT to exercise. :crossed:

Anyway, sending good thoughts to all of you and wishing you luck in your weight loss pursuits! :goodluck:

SheriaVa
11-03-2004, 09:04 AM
I'm now down 25 pounds!!! 250's here I come! The key was actually adding some calories. I never believed the whole "starvation mode" thing, thinking that if that were true that anorexics would be out of business, but I guess it is possible. I thought I was eating more calories than I was, but was coming in consistently below 1200 (checked on FitDay). So I added more and since have dropped 2.5 pounds.

That's AWESOME! Congratulations! May I ask how long it took for you to lose the 2.5 pounds after you started adding calories? I started a week ago yesterday adding a little more calories and fat and my weight hasn't changed much...I'm a little down one day, a little up the next...the usual for me. I'm going to try to stay the course for another week and see how it goes.

corningkat
11-03-2004, 02:40 PM
hi singles! well, i made it thru the appointments this morning. i actually woke up 15mins before the alarm. i got back home at 10:15 and went back to sleep till 12:30 so i don't fell so bad. i won't know the results from the mri for a couple days at least. the sooner the better so the dr. can figure out what's wrong. my back doesn't feel too bad today so it must have been that recumbent bike that flared it up.

shreriava - thanks for the new thread. it sure makes things easier.

skinnybopeep - congrats on that 2.5 gone 4 ever!:bravo: that 250 range better watch out, because you're gonna whip thru there so fast they won't even know you visited! :lol:

i'm gonna try to start counting points again for WW. i think i need a little more discipline than the core plan can give me right now. i might switch to that when i get more control. it's always worked for me in the past. i would be much happier if i could get to exercising again. hopefully soon!

well, have to get ready for work! have a good afternoon!
kathy

Shelbi99
11-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Hi all! I was looking for a place for singles - seems I don't have alot in common with married w/children women. I need to lose about 10 pounds but it's the same 10 pounds I've been dealing with for a long time! Just looking for a little support to keep me motivated.

JanetG
11-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Welcome, Shelbi! Don't worry about "only" having 10 pounds to lose, we are all in different places right now. Any amount of weight to lose is significant. And you've come to the right place. The only children we talk about are of the four legged variety.

Thanks for finding us a new home, SheriVa. I went to the old thread to catch up on any postings I may have missed, but didn't have any problem finding the new one. That was my major worry.

SkinnyBoPeep - isn't it fun that you get to eat more and still lose weight? And now you have semi-scientific proof that you can cut back calories too far. Okay, here's the nurse in me going into lecture mode: Your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism drops to conserve body weight (believed to be an evolutionary mechanism - when food is plenty people would eat more than they need and lay down fat stores. When the food gets scarce, and intake drops, the body goes on alert and slows metabolism to preserve life). The anorexics get away with it because their caloric intake is less than the calories they burn just by being alive. I used to think it wouldn't be so bad to be anorexic, then I'd finally be thin. But then when I was in nursing school I was assigned to work on an eating disorder unit as part of my psychiatric rotation and those girls were messed up, inside and out. Keep eating enough and exercising and you will get there.

Kathy - I'm the same with the Core Program. I am not at a point in my weightloss journey to be able to stop when I am satisfied. Plus, alot of the things I like best aren't on core and I would use up my points WAY too soon. Points has worked for me so far so I don't want to mess with it.

As for me, I am starting week 11 tomorrow. My goal is to get up early and walk on the treadmill &/or eliptical machine before work. Since daylight savings time ended, it gets dark here way too early. And that way I don't have to waste energy all day trying to come up with an excuse to not exercise, then waste energy talking myself back into exercising. It's a sick, twisted little game I play that really needs to end.

SkinnyBoPeep
11-04-2004, 12:14 AM
I swear, I lose more posts here where Internet Explorer shuts down!!!! :censored: GRRRRR… Anyway to start all over again:

Shelbi, welcome!! :wave: 10 pounds or 100 it’s all the same kind of work requiring support, so we’re happy to have you! Also, it may be a while before several of us reach our goal weight, so if you don’t mind we can live vicariously through you… :D

SheriaVa… I added in 200-300 calories a day almost a week ago. I thought I was eating enough and thought I was getting about 1200 calories a day. I thought that if I needed more I would feel hungry (I never did--probably a clue), but after tracking in FitDay for a few days, I saw I was getting closer to 1000 calories (Oops!). So I added some high fiber cereal (frosted mini-wheats – a lot of sugar but I love ‘em!) and some milk or string cheese and it just started coming off. I exercise at least 5 times a week with 40 minute walks or using the ellipse for 20-25 minutes and had plateaued for nearly 3 weeks. It could have been just the end of the plateau, but I like that I’m eating more and losing. I am down another half pound today (hello 250’s!!). :cb: I know weeks like this rarely happen, so I’m just enjoying it, but hope to be back to 2 pounds a week next week. It’s funny, my stomach started growling again between meals after I started eating more. I guess I was “conserving.”

Nurse Janet :goodvibes … Thanks for the background! You are so right about the anorexic mentality being really messed up. I really wasn’t trying for that. I just was poorly estimating and counting too many calories for veggies. There’s really not much to veggies calorie-wise. Off topic, do you know there are websites where anorexics instruct others on how to be “good anorexics?” Dreadful. There was an article one time on CNN and they gave the address of one of the sites. Some of the most disturbing stuff I’ve ever read. Those poor people.

Kathy… I wish you a speedy recovery! Good luck with the WW points change. I’m not familiar with the Core program. In a nutshell, what makes it different from the points plan? Do you go to meetings? And thanks for the "bravo!"

Okay, gals. Have a lovely Thursday!

corningkat
11-04-2004, 02:48 PM
happy thursday! welcome shelbi! we're glad to have you!:cheer:

it is yucky here today. cold and rainy! when i went to pt this morning it wasn't too bad and i planned to come home and rake the leaves to the curb for the town truck, but the rain put a damper on that plan. so i cleaned my fish tank instead. i'm sure they were happy it rained. :lol:

janet- i have to agree. i ate much less yesterday than relying on my fullness. when it comes to that, it is a hole that can't be filled. do you go to meetings?? i'm debating whether to go back or not. ($ and time)

skinnybopeep - the core plan gives you a list of food that you can eat from without writing down everything. it gives you a little freedom there. you have to judge how much to eat from your fullness factor. hence my problem. i think i need the structure right now. it is a good program and many people are successfull with it. i just don't have the self control needed.

well, have to get ready for work again! thank god it's almost friday!
kathy

Shelbi99
11-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Thanks everyone for being so friendly and welcoming!! I hope to check in here often and get some support and hopefully offer lots of support as well. I am basicly on the Atkins plan which has worked for me in the past but I try to stay away from all the fat. I drink two protein shakes a day (which does wonders for your nails ladies!!) and fill the rest with lean meats, tuna, salads and veggies. It seems like one bite of something wrong and there are two pounds back so I really need to watch everything. This used to not be such a problem but it seems since passing the 30 yr mark, metabolism is way down!

I hope to get to know you all on a more personal basis so I can reply to each of you as you are doing with each other.

JanetG
11-04-2004, 11:40 PM
Hi everyone - just checking in. Having computer problems right now and am very frustrated. :mad: I broke down and signed on for broadband (cable) high speed internet a couple of weeks ago and have been having problems with it every other day or so and it's driving me nuts! I have called tech support frequently and it's like they are just guessing at what the problem is. Luckily I haven't cancelled my dial up yet or I wouldn't have access at all. If it doesn't get straightened out soon I'll have to give up on it and go back to dial up. I love it when it is working, but it's very unreliable.

SkinnyBoPeep - I wasn't thinking you were going for the anorexia thing :foot: . It just brought to mind working on that unit and watching a population of people that were so opposite of me. The girl I was assigned to was 23 years old and weighed 74 pounds. I swear she looked like she was only 7 or 8 because she was so slight and frail... and she thought she was fat :no: . I kept watching the obituaries after my rotation ended, because I was sure she wasn't going to make it. It was all very sad, but it opened up my eyes to eating disorders in general and how food is the central theme in alot of emotional issues. Keep up with the positive attitude and run with the weight loss and don't look back!! :cp: You're doing great and it's even better when your efforts are reflected on the scale!

Kathy - I do go to meetings on Friday afternoons. My work schedule is very flexible and it gives me an excuse to leave at 3:30 on Fridays. I rejoined to have some accountability and support, and I really liked the leader at that meeting. Of course, last week was his last week as leader, so I'll have to wait to see how his replacement is (I never thought I'd connect with a male leader, but he was pretty cool). Money can be an issue, but I buy the 10-week prepays which brings it down to $8.95/week. And I figure I save at least that much buy not buying all the junk food and eating out like I used to.

Shelbi - Good Luck on Atkins - you're stronger than I could ever be. I love carbs way too much to give them up. I am trying to watch how much carbs I eat and am trying to limit my bread/starch vegies to one serving per meal, but some days that's difficult to do. But it if it has worked for you in the past, then it's good to stick with the tried and true. And I used to have nice nails too, but I started doing stained glass again and after you cut the glass pieces out you have to grind the edges on a grinder and the nails are the first casualties of the hobby. Oh well, the things we have to sacrifice for our art!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

SkinnyBoPeep
11-05-2004, 12:31 AM
No worries, Janet-- We were on the same page and thinking the same thing! Hey, are my eyes deceiving me or did you lose 3.5 more pounds?! I know you said you aren't big into scales as validation, but that deserves a round of applause! :cp:

Did you all see the surveys link on the main 3FC page? I did a few--very quick and interesting.

Hope everyone is doing well today. Hang in there and have a good Friday. As for me, I'm heading out for a walk...

SheriaVa
11-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Shelbi, sorry I'm late to the welcoming party! Welcome to the group!

The past few days have been SO stressful and I haven't been able to post much. My mother and two friends came to DC on very short notice. They came to see the World War II Memorial that just opened this summer. They stayed in a motel, so at least I didn't have them 24/7, but it was still very stressful. They did not make a motel reservation before they came, they didn't know where the memorial was before they came, etc. etc. I just can't imagine driving to a major city and not knowing where you're going in advance, but that's just me. I'm a control freak. LOL

Just taking them out to dinner was a challenge (they're in their 70s and 80s). The poor waitress at the Outback the other night probably needed a Xanax by the time we left! I know I did! LOL

Unfortunately, I am not accustomed to eating a big meal in the evening and, because of the stress level, I didn't make the best food selections...and the scale is showing it this morning. :(

Oh well, as Scarlett once said "Tomorrow is another day."

Anyhow, they left this a.m. so my life should get back to normal. Hope you all have a marvelous weekend!

SkinnyBoPeep
11-06-2004, 12:45 AM
SheriaVa… Love your story! :joker: It made me think of one of my friends. She and her parents live in different states. They call before they come to visit, but only about 15 minutes before!! Can you imagine your folks showing up from several states away without letting you know ahead of time?? She has asked for more notice, but they like to surprise her…

I had a fun day. Well, fun for the obsessive person I am! I took the afternoon off from work and cleaned my closet. It was a disaster. It’s a walk in, but I couldn’t “walk in.” When people would come over I would just shove things in there to get it out of the way. I’m ashamed to say, soon stuff was waist high. :o Since I’ve been toying with the idea of a new house, I figured that my closets and drawers need to be clean and look roomy for potential buyers… And if I don't move, then at least I don't have to be embarrassed if a stranger gets a look in there. I’m donating 5 bags of clothes! There is a local charity that helps domestic abuse victims learn how to interview for jobs and gets them outfitted in business clothes. My company went “business casual” so I have a ton of suits I never plan to wear again. It was liberating!!! There was a lot of dust in there and I’ve been sneezing for hours, but it was worth it.

Next stop the garage… :jig:

I'm down another half pound for a total of 4.5 this week. Yahoo!!! I'm not expecting any movement next week, so I'm just enjoying this week.

SheriaVa, just remind yourself that one dinner can’t derail your good weight loss efforts. The salt and subsequent bloating may make you feel like it did, but if you get right back at it, it’ll be no big deal. It’s when we eat like that again and again that the weight comes back. Your “tomorrow is another day” attitude is absolutely the right one!

I'm watching kind of a scary show on gasteric bypass on Dateline. Anyone else see it?

JanetG
11-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Hi all, Just checking in. My Internet is working (for now!) and I thought I should check in when I had the chance. I've decided to "tighten up" my program a little. The weight has been coming off okay, but I've been gradually slipping. I'm keeping within my points, but I only got in 3 days of exercise this last week (when I vowed to do 5), I'm not being so good about drinking enough water and I doubt I'm getting my 5 vegetable/fruit servings in. So I'm trying to fine tune it to keep on track and get this weight off once and for all. Heading into the "eating" holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) is hard enough without weak resolve :dizzy: .

SheriVa - keep the Scarlet O'Hara mentality - that chick had some good ideas! And yes, tomorrow is another day. I would venture to guess we are all stress/emotional eaters to some degree, and it sounds like your stress level deserved a little extra comfort food. Put it behind you, BUT get it going again. You can do it - you've already proven that.

SkinnyBoPeep - wanna come clean my closet now?? Please? I don't have a walk in and that should be even more incentive to keep it clean as there isn't much room. It is only about an arms length deep, but it is really long. The sucky part is that the doors are not very wide, so there are deep pockets of "No man's land" on either side. I have no idea what all is back there - I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy Hoffa is back there somewhere. I should dig a bunch of clothes out to see if I can find some old pants that fit better - the ones I have now are too big (sorry, just a little brag :smug: - it feels fantastic to be able to type that!). Congratulations on the additional weight loss. Keep carving away at those 250's!!

Check back in soon!

SheriaVa
11-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Having computer problems right now and am very frustrated. :mad: I broke down and signed on for broadband (cable) high speed internet a couple of weeks ago and have been having problems with it every other day or so and it's driving me nuts! I have called tech support frequently and it's like they are just guessing at what the problem is. Luckily I haven't cancelled my dial up yet or I wouldn't have access at all. If it doesn't get straightened out soon I'll have to give up on it and go back to dial up. I love it when it is working, but it's very unreliable.

Yer scarin' me, girl! I already bought the cable modem and have been procrastinating for weeks about calling Comcast to come hook me up. I am SO tired of the world seeming to be made for broadband users and still being a dial-up user! BUT, OTOH, if the cable modem thing isn't gonna work dependably, that's gonna drive me nuts even more! YIKES! I sure hope my experience isn't going to be like yours. :(

Sure hope they get it all worked out for ya!

corningkat
11-07-2004, 12:28 AM
hey there! it's saturday nite and once again i sit home watching movies! i really need to get a life. i got home from work and was so tired that i couldn't have gone out if i wanted to. so as usual i hit the recliner.:yawn:

skinnybopeep - great job on the 4.5!!:bravo: i've been working on hoeing out closets and such myself. i don't know when i'm going to move but since it's to my parents house i can put stuff there now that i don't use. that way it will be less to move when the time comes.

janet - i'm glad you got your internet working. 3 days of exercise is wonderful. :high: i wish i could go walking. i miss it so much. i think i'm going to wait on meetings because i haven't yet made my mind up about the traveling/$ issues yet.

shelbi - i understand about the metabolism thing. mine seems to have crash and burned in the last 2 years. i just turned 39. i always used to maintain my weight pretty steady, even if it was overweight, but i didn't gain. now all of a sudden i am going straight uphill.

well, i'm really tired. i think i'm going to get some sleep.
nite!

SheriaVa
11-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Thank you all for the kind words regarding my stress eating. Emotional eating isn't something I have to deal with often, thank goodness, but my mother does tend to bring that out in me! LOL

I ate light on Friday to make up for the heavy dinners on Wednesday and THursday evening that I'm not accustomed to and things are looking better on the scale already. Plus, I had a great hour-plus powerwalk this morning in the invigorating fall air and the lovely warm sun. Wonderful!

And then some retail therapy afterward just to further the positive mood! ;)

But hey, at least I did buy something related to working out...I've been wanting a step (for step aerobics) and went out and bought the Reebok step today. Looks pretty cool. Look forward to trying it out. Also picked up a cute little black jacket by Isaac Mizrahi...at Target, of course! hehe

corningkat
11-08-2004, 01:52 PM
happy monday! i just thought i'd drop a line to bring our forum back to the front and see how everyone's weekend went!

my weekend was pretty boring. worked most of it. i talked to my manager though and told her i needed some time off. i haven't had a day off in 2 months between the 2 jobs. she said we'd figure it out. in the meantime i just have to keep remembering vacation is coming. i make a trip to my parents in florida at xmas time. can't wait!

i hope everyone is having a good day!
kathy

JanetG
11-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Hi all,
Just checkin in, hope everyone'd week started out okay. Doing fine here. I was able to get my exercise in today, even though the temperature didn't break 40. I should probably just get used to it, it's only going downhill from here. I've decided that my cut off point for exercising outside is 35, I'm simply not dedicated enough to go when it's below that. We'll see...

SheriVa - go for the cable internet. It's great, when it works. I have a few co-workers that have it and have had no problems with it. According to the technician that came out yesterday, they are having problems with the main cable line and are working on it (supposedly). Comcast is supposed to credit me the last two weeks and hopefully it will be straightened out soon. It sounds like you got back on track again. Good for you.

Kathy - work is one of those necessary evils of life, isn't it. Just keep your eye on the prize (vacation) and it will be here before you know it. Christmas is what, six weeks? away. How is PT going? Is it helping your back & knees?

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. Now I'm going outside. There's supposed to be a good display of Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) in the sky tonight and I want to see it. I'm not really into astronomy, but Northern Lights are pretty cool.

SkinnyBoPeep
11-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Hello everybody! :hat:

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I did-- I won't bore you with more about my closet cleaning achievement, but I keep walking in there and just staring. It's a beautiful sight! I went to a party Saturday and my friend knew I was working on my weight, so she had healthy things there for me. It was really nice of her and kept me on track. I then saw my parents for the first time in a few months and made dinner for them for their 39th anniversary. Both of them called me later to ask if I had lost weight and said I looked good. I think they were afraid to ask me in person. They must be wary about what happened last time (gaining it back). Perhaps they were just going to save their compliments for later to make sure I follow through this time! That sounds meaner than I intend it to, but it's interesting doing this for a second time in 3 years. I feel more embarrassment about the loss somehow. It's so humiliating to wage such a private battle on the outside where everyone can see it. It's like wearing your shortcomings and weaknesses on the outside for the world to examine. I'm so self-conscious, too, that I imagine that everyone is asking themselves, "I wonder if she'll be able to keep it of this time?" Or thinking that somehow the work is less meaningful because I've done it before. I attribute those thoughts to the same inner voice that tries to get me to eat ice cream :devil: , and I'm doing my darndest not to listen to it!

Anyway, other fun things... I went looking at model homes!! I am in love. I have some serious thinking to do to figure out what I really want to do... Whatever the outcome, it's been hours of fun daydreaming about the possibilities, though!

Janet, I climbed into my jammies and into bed when I got home from work tonight (I'm so tired), but I think I will go take a walk. If you can go out in 40 degree weather, I can get my rear in gear too! Thanks for the inspiration :D .

SheriaVa, how much do you LOVE Target!?!?!? It's one of my favorite stores. I end up leaving with a whole bunch of things I didn't need, but I always feel happy after.

Kathy, you poor thing. I hope you get a day off soon. Working that hard isn't good for your mental health, though unfortunately all too necessary sometimes. Take care of yourself! Any more PT? Are you finding it's helping you at all? I was thinking about your WW meetings... If you don't have the money for the meetings, use us! You can weight in and report it, tell us what you're eating, and we can put our heads together to support you through any roadblocks you stumble upon. We'll be your very own personal WW group!! Regardless, just be accountable to yourself. That's more important that anything you can get from a room full of fellow dieters or us. :)

Okay, take care everyone and have a terrific Tuesday!

(P.S.- I'm down another 1/2 pound! :cb: )

SheriaVa
11-09-2004, 10:36 AM
It's so humiliating to wage such a private battle on the outside where everyone can see it. It's like wearing your shortcomings and weaknesses on the outside for the world to examine.

You said a mouthful there! That is SO true. And it can be very scary!

I'm so self-conscious, too, that I imagine that everyone is asking themselves, "I wonder if she'll be able to keep it of this time?"

You know, when I first started eating healthy and losing weight last year, almost no one in my life said anything. This really hurt me and I thought "How could they be so unsupportive?" Then I realized that they're probably just "waiting it out" to see if the weight loss lasts or if I stay "with the program" THIS time. Now that I've been plugging away for almost a year and a half, people say things more, but there are still people in my family that haven't said a word.

SheriaVa, how much do you LOVE Target!?!?!? It's one of my favorite stores. I end up leaving with a whole bunch of things I didn't need, but I always feel happy after.

LOL...sounds like me! I went in for an aerobic step and came out with the step and a few bags of toiletries, clothing and other stuff, too. hehe

SheriaVa
11-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Hi all,
SheriVa - go for the cable internet. It's great, when it works. I have a few co-workers that have it and have had no problems with it. According to the technician that came out yesterday, they are having problems with the main cable line and are working on it (supposedly).

Yea, I would suspect that the quality of one's cable internet has a lot to do with the quality of the cable line in one's neighborhood (just like bad quality phone lines can play havoc with a modem). I'll still give it a try! :) I'm just a horrible procrastinator about making the actual appointment.

There's supposed to be a good display of Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) in the sky tonight and I want to see it. I'm not really into astronomy, but Northern Lights are pretty cool.

Coooool! I would LOVE to see that!

SheriaVa
11-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Bumping this up since we were the last thread on the main page.

Wonder where everyone is this week???? Helloooooo???? :)

JanetG
11-10-2004, 10:33 PM
Sorry SheriVa - work has been nuts, I have been working some extra hours and haven't had too much to do more than come home, eat and sleep. I am having a new furnace installed and my basement looks like a bomb went off down there and I had to at least clear a path from the garage to the furnace room so my brother and his friend, who are doing the installation, don't trip and break a leg (at least until the work is done!). My current furnace is the original from 1947 and is extremely inefficient. My energy bills in the colder months (December, January & February) can be over $300/mo and on the really cold days (below zero) the furnace can't keep up and I can only get it to about 56-58 inside. On those days my cats and I spend most of the day under the electric blanket. It's really sad how excited I am about this furnace. I get to be warm this winter!!! And I won't need these extra layers of fat, so I may as well get rid of them once and for all!

SkinnyBoPeep - everything you said about losing and regaining the weight speaks for me, too. I have friends that have been incredibly supportive when I lost the weight before and they are incredibly supportive now. None of them has ever said anything to me about gaining the weight back, they just continue making sure we eat at restaurants that have healthy choices,have healthy alternatives at parties, etc. I thank God for them, because I know alot of people who are not so lucky. I sometimes wonder if they are thinking the same things you mentioned, but so what if they are? Nobody is so perfect that there isn't something that can be improved upon. We would never think of bringing up their shortcomings because we love them. And because they love us, they are probably only worried about our health and not judging us on our shortcomings. And if they do judge us? Well...screw 'em! If we let what everyone else thinks about us rule our lives, then we spend our life in fear and self-loathing and who needs that? Just move ahead and feel proud of what you've accomplished and how much you are going to accomplish. There...I'll climb off my soapbox now.

Kathy - stop working so hard and give us a post!! Let us know how it's going.

Take care all - Stay strong

SkinnyBoPeep
11-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Here I am! :wave: SheriaVa, thanks for keeping the thread alive!!

I'm still cleaning my house... I think it's becoming an obsession. But I'm having fun and it's got a positive result, so it can't be all bad. So what if I dream about organizing drawers? :crazy:

SheriaVa-- go for the cable internet access. I have to fiddle with my wireless router a lot, but the cable part is very low maintenance. Now when my mom needs me to help her fix something on her computer, the dial up is almost more than I can bear! I'm so impatient.

Janet--Congrats on your new furnace! Your being happy about your furnace is no sadder than me being thrilled about my clean closets and drawers. Unfortunately, that leaves the possibility that we're both nuts, but at least it more fun to have company than being nuts all by yourself!

I'm getting ready for a business trip next week (I leave early Monday morning and don't think I'll be able to post from then until Friday :() and I am actually looking forward to the plane seat. Did I tell you all that I was motivated to start this weight loss thing again because I had ZERO slack in my airplane seatbelt when I flew in August? I was horrified at the thought of possibly having to ask for an extender :yikes: and swore I wouldn't go through that again. I think I have lost enough that the seat will be more comfortable and I don't have to worry anymore about the seatbelt. I can't wait to tell you all how much slack I have!

Okay, I'm heading back to my cleaning. I donated 8 large garbage bags full of stuff to Salvation Army today! :encore:

P.S.- I passed up doughnuts, cookies, cake, and cupcakes today for one of my coworker's birthdays AND it was all stacked up in front of my desk all day. Yay me!

Have a great Thursday everyone! Make good choices!

corningkat
11-11-2004, 01:44 PM
hey singles! i am working hard but not at my jobs. my realtor called and someone wants to see the house friday. so it's been clean, clean, clean!!!! :dizzy:
i just finished the front yard. i had somone rake it last week and i wanted to give it one more mowing and that gave me the motivation to get that done.

skinnybopeep- you are not nuts! i am the same way. it just gives us something to focus on for a while. get our minds off troublesome things. ;)
i hope you have a good trip! going anywhere interesting??? we will miss your posts. i understand about the seat belt thing. i went through that a few years ago on my first xmas trip to florida. i've lost enough since that embarassing event that it WON"T happen again. :halffull: also good job on the fending off the doughnuts!!!! :)

janet - have you tried the new ww chocalate cakes. i found them yesterday at super walmart and they are yummy for 1 point. just enough to take off that chocolate edge. they also have blueberry and apple spice muffins for 3 points. those are good too. i've lost 1 pound this week so far on the points. i think that is better than the 1-2 i've been gaining per week so i am happy! :D

well, i have to get ready for work once again!
have a good thursday afternoon!!!:flow1:
kathy

Shelbi99
11-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Hi all....just wanted to check in and say hi! And to Sher - definitely go for the cable internet. I just got it at home and not one single problem so far - it's awesome! We have SBC DSL at work and every week or so it just quits and we have to repower everything.

As on my weight loss...I've been running some and eating good and lost 2 pounds but they showed back up this morning (like I figured they would - I just tell myself that's muscle from running so I don't get discouraged!). I know I feel less fat, I just have to keep it up. I didn't change my ticker but I plan to tomorrow!

Skinny...have a good trip! And the important thing is that you're losing weight now. There's that commercial about quitting smoking that says something about trying many times before we succeed and this could be the time you succeed. Well, I know this is it.

Janet - come on down to Texas! It's still 70 here (but not for long). I'm actually looking forward to some cool weather just so I can wear different clothes.

Kathy, just think of all those calories your burning with your cleaning!

Have a great day everyone!

JanetG
11-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Hi everyone - just got home from my stained glass class and thought I'd check in before going to bed. It's only nine, but for some reason I am beat. Unfortunately, it will probably not be a restful night as I was really thirsty when I got home and tanked about 4 glasses of water. So now I will be up all night visiting the bathroom. :^: Oh, well... I weighed in this morning and am another two pounds down, so I am really motivated right now to get it under 300. I managed to get a 2 mile walk in between work and class, so maybe that's why I am so tired. The exercise has slacked a little lately, so it's hard to get it going again. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Kathy - one pound is great! :goodscale It all adds up in the long run and as long as it's going in the right direction, that's all that counts. Are those chocolate cakes in the freezer section? I have seen the muffins in the freezer section, but have never seen the cakes. Also, if you want something to cut the chocolate cravings I got a recipe off the WW recipe forum for 1 point chocolate muffins that are really good. I keep some in the freezer for those chocolate emergencies!

SheriVa - I finally got my cable Internet working. It turned out that the Microsoft Service Pack 2 that I downloaded a couple months ago had some type of security feature that prevented the broadband signal from being received or something. Anyway, I spent an hour on the phone with a Windows technician last night and we think we got the problem solved. I'm crossing my fingers. So now that it is finally working the way it is supposed to, I can wholeheartedly recommend it!

SkinnyBoPeep - congratulations on passing up the cakes and donuts :high: . Don't you feel superior? And don't you just love the feeling of being in control? I am a sugar/carb fiend and would have had a hard time if I had been staring at them all day. I swear they call my name. I am at a point where I have to keep temptation away from me and I'm lucky that my office mates understand my vices and keep me honest. Congratulations on the plane seat too. It sounds like a couple of us have been in that spot, myself included. That must be a huge relief knowing that you will be able to stroll onto the plane, sit down and buckle the belt. Good for you! Have a safe trip.

Shelbi - just keep at it. Like the turtle in your ticker, slow and sure wins the race. Keep it up and it will come off. And the exercise is building lean muscle and you will benefit in the long run. And I would love to come to 70 degree temperatures. You might wonder why someone who whines about the temperature so much lives in Minnesota. Truth is I love the seasons and actually love snow. But as I transition between season to season, it's easy to forget how cold it can get, not to mention the windchills. And it truely puts a damper on the exercise - and I really don't need any more excuses not to exercise - I do quite well on making up lame ones!

Hope everyone is doing well - will check back in soon.

SheriaVa
11-12-2004, 09:01 AM
Skinny: WOOHOOOO on passing up the goodies! That's awesome! And I know how hard it can be! We have a monthly birthday party in my office and there are always yummy things BUT at least they have been providing at least ONE healthy or lowfat option for the past year or so. Usually either a fruit platter or some sort of lowfat ice cream bar. If there is a healthy option, I will always take that and pass up the fatty sheet cake, donuts, etc. However, once in a while, I gotta have a taste of the real thing! Travel safely and have a great business trip! We'll miss ya.

Janet: So glad you got your cable internet working! YAY! Interestingly enough, I just downloaded that service pack about a week ago so I'm glad you told me about that being the problem so I can anticipate that if I run into trouble as well! Thanks!

As for housecleaning, I am a TERRIBLE housecleaner...I hate it...I avoid it. I let it go until it gets out of control. Yesterday I was off work (Govt. holiday) and I got SO much done. Man, it felt so good to have things a little bit more under control again. I hate being the way I am but I can't seem to change. Have any of you heard of the FlyLady system (FlyLady.net)? I've been trying that since late summer and it is very helpful.

Okay, okay, you guys have all talked me into cable internet. <G> Thanks for the positive words...I am SO excited about having a faster connection!!!

corningkat
11-12-2004, 02:26 PM
hello! happy friday!!!

funny thing happened just now. the realtor was showing my house and told me i could come back at 1pm. well, as i was rolling up the people were just leaving so i went on up the street till they left. the lady looking at it was a co-worker at my ft job. what a goof!! i know she doesn't know it's mine because she is asian and doesn't speak good english and i don't think i've mentioned it around her. :lol:

janet - i found those little snack cake with the muffins in the bread aisle. your recipe sound good, i would love it. anything chocolate and low in points is a blessing. thanks

i have cable internet and it is much faster. unfortunately, when i move i am going to have to go back to aol because there is no cable at that house. the cable lines stop about 2 miles away. it really stinks! we also have problems with tv. the one satellite we tried didn't work because the house is on the side of a hill and the hill blocked the reception. i have been recommended another brand that faces the south so maybe that one will work for me. i don't know if i could live with only 3 stations. :?:

well, i have to get something around for dinner for work. have a great weekend!
kathy

SkinnyBoPeep
11-13-2004, 03:51 AM
Hallelujah, it's Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is everybody? I'm so glad it's the weekend. I've got friends staying with me tonight and we went out to dinner and a movie. We ended up at the Souplantation (do you all have those? It's a GIANT salad bar). Remind me never, ever to go there on a Friday night! It's experiences like that that make me question my desire for children. Whatever happened to discipline?! There were rug rats EVERYWHERE. Ugh. What a nightmare. On the plus side, I ate very healthy things and stayed away from all bread products, creamy soups, fattening dressings, and pasta salads. Yay! We saw the new Bridget Jones movie. I loved the first one and really liked this one too, but I'm sad to say the book was a lot better. Oh, well. I still had fun.

Gosh, Kathy! Your new house sounds like it's pretty remote. Are you out in the country? I bet it's pretty, but uufortunately the price is fewer services. :( Bummer!

Janet! Two more pounds!!! HOORAY! Well done! Keep up the good work! :cb:

SheriaVa, I'm a terrible housekeeper too. I got a cleaning person who comes every two weeks. I think I'd give up buying food, before I'd give up them! Best money I spend all month. I haven't heard of FlyLady-- I'll check it out!

Hey, Shelbi, I'm coming to TX next week! Order some good weather for me if you can. :cool: Sooo many things can influence weight fluctuations that you just have to keep making good choices and know that it will show soon... That's little consolation when the scale doesn't seem to budge, I know!

On the cleaning front, I made it through all my bathroom cabinets and 7 kitchen cupboards. I should be all organized in a few weeks!

Take care you all and have a lovely Saturday!

JanetG
11-13-2004, 01:38 PM
Hi everyone! Woke up to a bright, beautiful, sunny day, so the first thing I did was get out and get may walk out o fthe way. Was a bit cold, but once I got moving it wasn't so bad. Now I can be a total veg the rest of the day - I wish. The house is trashed and I had to bring some work home and I have stained glass homework, and I want to take a page from Skinny's book and tackle my closet and...the list is too depressing. I have heard of that flylady thing and perhaps I will try it. Isn't the number one motto "Keep the sink clean?" or something like that? Well my kitchen sink is clean, but not much else! ANyway, just wanted to check in and catch up - Now I gotta get off the computer and to work! Wish me luck! Have a great weekend everyone!

SheriaVa
11-13-2004, 11:35 PM
I have heard of that flylady thing and perhaps I will try it. Isn't the number one motto "Keep the sink clean?" or something like that? Well my kitchen sink is clean, but not much else!

Yea, her #1 motto is "Shine your sink!" But it's not so much about the sink itself as it is about having routines and feeling like you have some control instead of living in chaos.

I wish I was like you and could say my kitchen sink is clean, but it usually is the worst thing in my apartment! I spent much of my Thursday holiday in the kitchen so it IS clean now but doesn't stay that way all the time. :(

corningkat
11-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Well, unfortunately the weekend is over. i hope everyone had a good one. mine was pretty much standard as usual. i just finished watching a movie called "The Day after Tomorrow". i think it was awesome. i recommend it to everyone. the effects were great too. my regular show "Desperate Housewives" isn't on this tonite due to music awards.

i have a busy week ahead with pt and other appts. i have been doing a little walking and it hasn't hurt my knee too much. i took my dog down to the river dike a couple of times this weekend. she can run free and i can walk along in the grass. i think that is easier on me than sidewalks. i didn't walk too fast but it felt good to move a little.

well, i hope you all have a good week!
kathy

Shelbi99
11-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Hi all...just checking in. I'm up two pounds today...not sure what is going on! I really think this is somewhat hormonal. Getting my thyroid levels checked this week. I almost hope something is wrong to explain this. I eat right and still gain weight. It's very frustrating, as i'm sure you all understand but I'm gonna hang in there. I know that's just how it goes for me sometimes. up some, then down....

I hope you all have a good week and continue to make good choices. It makes it easier knowing I have someone to answer to!

Janet....it's 61 around Houston today. I don't know where you're going to in TX but it can be 70 in Corpus and 40 in Dallas at the same time! I'm hoping for good weather for your visit.

Shelbi99
11-15-2004, 05:53 PM
oops...sorry Skinny - i hope YOU have good weather for your visit. Got the names turned around!

JanetG
11-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Hi everyone - another Monday gone and I am alive to tell about it. Work was very hectic. I am the head of my department (a very small department of 4) and two of the four people were out. So of course it's my job to do the work of all three people and keep things running smoothly. Of course, that was impossible so I will have to go in early tomorrow and try to catch up. Yuck!

No time to officially exercise today, but I did rake leaves for 1-1/2 hours after work, so that should count for something. We'll just call it upper body weight training and be happy!

Kathy - take your walking one day at a time. It may only be a short distance today, but with the PT and daily strolls, your muscles supporting your aching joints will strengthen and before you know it you will be walking longer and longer. Baby :bb: steps!

SkinnyBoPeep - You are just blowing through those 250's!! :D Good job! I wish I had someone to clean my house. My neice was doing some cleaning for my father to make some extra money for college. I told my sister to let her know that if she wanted to make some more money, that I'd pay here to come down to my house and clean. Her response? "Gee, Mom, I don't want to work that hard!" I wouldn't say I was a slob but...all your organizing is putting the guilts on me. I have good intentions, but you know what they say about the path to **** being paved with good intentions? Well, I've paved a 10 lane highway!

Shelbi - that has to be the most frustrating experience of weight loss - doing everything right and still not losing weight. Hold tough. If you keep with it the weight has to come off. Sometimes our bodies just make us work extra hard for it.

SheriVa- don't envy my clean sink. It doesn't generally stay clean for very long. I try to shame myself into cleaning by imagining my friends stopping over unannounced. If they wanted to use my bathroom, I would be mortified. They'd be better off using the one at the SuperAmerica down the street. Life's too short to be worried about housework. As long as the health department doesn't knock on my door, I'm cool.

Stay strong people!! Have a good Tuesday.

corningkat
11-16-2004, 01:41 PM
hey there! how is everyone today?? i actually woke up with one of those once in a blue moon days when my knee and back feel pretty good today. i cherish these days. i went to therapy then took my dog for a 15 min walk. it is a beautiful day here too. they predicted around 50 yesterday and today but i think it is high 50's at least. feel like a nice fall day.

janet - i hope your work day is quieter today. i would definitely count 1.5 hours of raking exercise. as long as you are moving.

shelbi - maybe those 2.bs are water weight. i go up and down all the time. it's a never ending battle.:rolleyes:

i am in the process of making hawaiian pork chops. the recipe sounded good. pineapple, brown sugar twin, and a little nutmeg. i'll let you know how it comes out.

well, i better keep movin' while i'm still feeling ambitious. :lol:
have a good tuesday! :flow1:
kathy

SheriaVa
11-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Life's too short to be worried about housework. As long as the health department doesn't knock on my door, I'm cool.

teehee...you took the words right outta my mouth, girl! :lol:

JanetG
11-18-2004, 09:25 PM
Hi all
Our thread was getting pretty far down on the list, so I thought I'd check in and move it back up. I'm kind of on a plateau right now, actually I took a page out of Shelbi's book and am up 2 pounds. I'm trying not to get too wigged out about it though, 'cuz my body likes to do this to me. As long as I stay on track, it comes off eventually. It's disappointing though.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and I'll check back tomorrow!

SheriaVa
11-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Our thread fell off the first page so I thought I'd bump it up. Wonder if everyone is travelling for the holiday week or just busy cleaning and shopping for the big day. :)

I had a REALLY productive day today. Started with a a 1 1/2-hour powerwalk and then went immediately into an AIM chat with a couple of ladies I know from the net. We would do 10 mins of chat and then 20 mins of cleaning...and we did that for HOURS. I got my whole bathroom cleaned and loads of other things done. I feel GREAT! (but tired!)

Hope everyone is well!

corningkat
11-21-2004, 03:01 PM
hey singles! sorry i haven't posted most of the week. i've been really busy with dr's appts and such. yesterday my dad has a stroke and i've been very stressed out. they are in florida and there's not much i can do right now besides pray for his strength back. right now i'm killin' time waiting for my mom to call. i thought maybe if i would surf a while to get my mind off things a little. when it rains it pours. :(

sheriva-that is a good way to break up cleaning and take a break. my only problem would be i couldn't get away from the computer. :lol:

janet - i'm sure those 2lbs will disappear in no time. actually they are probably gone as i type. :)

well, i'm going to find something to do. i actually have hte whole day off and i'm going stir crazy. i will check in soon.
kathy

SkinnyBoPeep
11-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad's stroke. How scary. Let us know how you and your dad are doing... I'll be thinking good thoughts for you and your family!

THE BIG ORANGE BABE
11-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Hi singles,

I didn't know y'all existed! I was reading the announcement thread and noticed the link.
I usually stick pretty close to home over at the SUGAR BUSTER corner of the
world.
I've been a member here for a while, but I have to confess.....I rarely leave
that area!

I'm 52yrs old, live in Sarasota, Florida and it's getting to that time of the year where the weather is tolerible. I love fall and winter! I would so rather throw on a sweater anytime!

I'm originally from Kentucky, but as you can see from my avatar, I'm a HUGE TENNESSEE FAN! If any of you have visited our board, then you've noticed that we have quite the competition during football season!

I've recently resumed a phone and email relationship with someone who I was involved with for twelve years. We've exchanged current pictures, but I'm a little nervous about seeing him. He still lives in Kentucky, so him dropping in
isn't likely.

I hope that y'all don't mind my joining your group...it's just what I need right now. I'm looking forward to getting to know each and every one of you!

Later

BOB

JanetG
11-22-2004, 11:17 PM
Hi everyone,
Sorry I have been such a slug about posting. Life has been hectic and crazy :crazy: and a little overwhelming. Work is testing every one of my nerves right now. We are in the middle of some big changes and I'm not getting a lot of support from my immediate supervisors and am letting it cast a grey cloud over my whole life. I have to learn that perfectionism is overrated and that it IS JUST A JOB!

I have let my diet and exercise slide alot. I don't think I am eating too bad but I'm not tracking, but exercise has flown out the window. I have already decided that I am going to allow myself to eat whatever I want at Thanksgiving dinner with the understanding that I will get right back on plan the second dinner is over. At least it will be at my brothers house and I can leave all the leftovers there. I really need to just buckle down again and not start losing ground.

Kathy - I'd like to add my prayers to those of SKinnyBoPeep for the quick recovery of your father. It must be agonizing being so far away. Aren't you scheduled to go visit in a few weeks? I hope everything is going okay.

BOB - welcome! There's always room for one more. Can't say I follow too much football, but feel free to try to convert me. I can sympathize with being nervous about meeting an old friend again. I saw my old highschool boyfriend in the local target, but I have gained a hundred + pounds since highschool and I was too embarassed to let him see me and ducked down another aisle. It takes alot of courage to put yourself out there. Good luck.

SkinnyBoPeep - welcome back from your trip. I see that the 250's will soon be a thing of the past for you. Congrats! :bravo: You are smokin'!

SheriVa - you are inspiring. A power walk and cleaning in one day!! For me, it would be one or the other (or more likely, neither! :rofl: ). At heart I'm a worldclass couch potato. I signed up for flylady, but I got 22 e-mails the first day! Scary!! :fr: It's dropped off, but I still can't get it started. I'm just not very dedicated to anything right now. But I still want to give it a go, so I'll keep trying.

Well, time to hit the sack. Take care and stay strong!

SkinnyBoPeep
11-23-2004, 12:31 AM
Happy Monday, everybody!

Shelbi, the TX weather was the pits.... It POURED! :rain: Oh well, it was a good trip anyway. But I'm happy to be back, except that it snowed here in Southern California this weekend in places it hasn't snowed in 50+ years. Very weird weather.

Anyway, Janet I feel like I've been a slug about posting too :snail: . But I get excited when I see you all have posted. And I'd arm-wrestle you for your world-class couch potato title, except that would require effort on my part! The hard part is when I lose without exercising. It makes me even lazier. Thanks for the Bravo on my disappearing 250's! I found my groove, so I'm just going to try not to make any drastic changes until it stops working. If I could bottle and sell whatever that feeling is that makes you believe you can do it, I would. A friend of mine has put on weight recently and keeps saying she wants to lose it. She's always asking me what I'm doing. I told her just eating fewer calories and exercising more. She joined WW last week and today I saw her walking around with a kingsize bag of Fritos. She's SO not ready...

Okay gals, I did it. I got on the list for a new house. Yikes! There are 45 people in front of me on the list, but they said I have a good chance to get the model I want. I love love love decorating, so I can hardly sleep-- I dream about floorplans, hardwood floors, furniture, etc. I can't wait.

SheriaVa, you rock! Your cleaning methods totally speak to my compulsive side! I cleaned out another four cupboards in the kitchen and next is the linen closet.

BOB- welcome! :hat: The more the merrier...

Kathy-- I've been thinking about you and your dad. Any news? Stay strong...

Okay, gals. Gotta run. Take care and have a great Tuesday!

SheriaVa
11-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Oh Kathy, I am SO sorry to hear about your Dad. Not that any time is easy to deal with that kind of thing, but I think around the holidays is so much worse because we're already so stressed.

BOB--Welcome! So glad to have you with us. :)

Janet, I am a world-class couch potato, too. I am trying to reform, but my behind seems to be drawn to the couch or chair like a magnet. LOL I was EXHAUSTED after my "FLYchat" but it was SO great to accomplish so much! Ouch yea, the FlyLady emails...I should have mentioned those. They can be a bit much. What I did, because I work over 10 hours a day and can't be home to be doing those things they're reminding me of anyhow, is to sign up for the email DIGEST...which is where they fold all the little reminders into ONE daily email. I find that MUCH more manageable. Then I just scroll through and read the "meat" of it, like the messages from FlyLady and a few testimonials (which can be so inspiring).

Skinny--I'm so impressed with your weight loss progress. I wish I could find a way to keep my weight loss on such a steady decline as yours! I feel like I'm constantly gaining and losing the same 2 pounds.

Shelbi99
11-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Hi all...well it was a bad weekend. Went out of town and didn't have the best options of eating healthy. But I'm not too bummed! I've lost it before and I'll lose it again (right Janet? ha ha!).

Kat - I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he recovers - some people get back to almost normal after strokes. You are in my prayers!

welcome bob! I think you'll really like our little group here.....I know I really appreciate everyones comments.

Good luck to everyone this week - stay strong but enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday!!

Shelbi99
11-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Skinny...sorry about your bad weather in TX....it is STILL RAINING today!! Some parts are flooding really bad but fortunately I live in an area that just seems to miss all the bad stuff. I did hear about the snow - how strange!

corningkat
11-23-2004, 03:27 PM
hi singles! just a quick note then i'm off to work. thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. every little bit helps. not a lot has changed but there are signs he is trying so that is a good thing. it is still too early to tell.

i will be going down at xmas. my mom thought i should wait till then because there is not much i can do right now. her best friend is staying with her and she is a strong woman so she is handling things fine for right now.

as for me , i am doing ok. i got all my assessments. i have artharitis (did i spell that right) in my knees along with some spurs. that is causing that pain and the pt wasn't working because i have to let the settle down first. i started my back therapy today and i actually feel pretty good. i believe i am on the long road to recovery. yahooo!!!

welcome, bob!!! glad to have you! i personally like the denver broncos and watch some football when i have time.

well, gotta go to work! thanks again!
kathy

corningkat
11-24-2004, 02:18 PM
I just wanted to wish everyone a "Happy Thanksgiving". i hope everyone has a nice, relaxing holiday. enjoy the day then get right back to our new habits!
kathy

SheriaVa
11-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

I'll be hitting the road tomorrow morning for Delaware and won't be home until Monday, so I won't be online to post here. Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday and weekend.

Cinisha1
11-25-2004, 06:41 AM
Hi, everyone. I'm a 27 year old single female from the Philadelphia area. I am a processor at a bank so usually I'm sitting down most of the day.. no major exercise. I have a son who is ten years old, who will soon be living with his father so I have some free time to focus on me for a change. I am really happy to have found this site. This is just what I've been looking for. And you all seem so friendly. I hope I fit in with you guys if you don't mind.
Anyway, I am 5' 1 and 155 pounds and I've been struggling for a long time to lose weight. I don't want to lose a lot of weight, but I just want to be comfortable and to be able to tuck in my shirt without a big roll hanging out. In the past I've been doing it my own way.. working out a little, eating less as possible, sometimes even skipping meals. And since I've been on the internet I finally realized that I have to add more calories to my diet. And for some reason It has been hard for me to get use to since I have never really counted calories before. So If anyone have any suggestions for me on getting started I would really appreciate it. Right now I am still kind of doing my own thing. I have a gym membership, and I am looking at the food labels and trying to add more calories, but I am still so frustrated. I really want to do this the the right way so that I can finally see some results without starving myself. I'm thinking maybe I should get a calorie book so that I can have with me all the time. I don't know. Any suggestions please feel free.

JanetG
11-26-2004, 04:46 AM
Hi everyone!

Can't sleep (it's almost 2:00AM here). I got home from Thanksgiving dinner and the turkey kicked in and I went to bed at 7:00PM! Thanksgiving was wonderful, but I totally pigged out. I had given myself permission to eat whatever I wanted at the meal, but once it was over, then it was back on plan. I went straight for the carbs as usual. I'm feeling a little weighed down, but am motivated to get back on track. My motivation and resolve has been essentially non-existant the last week or two and I am ready to refocus. Exercise has been difficult, because it has been so cold here. I can handle the colder temps, but when it gets windy, it cuts right through you. I have decided to join the local YMCA. I was hesitant because of the cost, but I want to lose weight more than anything, and I know I can't do it without the exercise. My brother belongs to the same Y, and told me to wait until they waived the joiners fee, but I want to do it before my resolve weakens. So I think I'll go in the morning. I have a few days off work, so I am going to spend some "me" time and refocus.

SkinnyBoPeep - congratulations on the house - how exciting! How long do you have to wait before you find out if you got it. I'm assuming it's a new development?? It's a big step, but it will be worth it to get away from your noisy neighbors. I'm envious of your decorating skills. I have been in my house for eight years and I still haven't painted my bedroom! Although I have had several paint chips taped to the wall to help decide on a color - for about eight months!

Shelbi - just keep on keeping on. It will come off - it has to!

Kathy - how's your dad? The rehab center that I work at deals with alot of post acute stokes. I have seen some amazing recoveries in my ten+ years working there. I hope the same for your dad. I am happy that you are finally getting some answers about your own health problems. The not knowing must be one of the more difficult parts. Now that the answers are there, hopefully your PT can customize some exercises for you.

SheriVa - have a safe trip (of course if you are reading this, yoou have already returned! Who's in Delaware? I can't say that I have fully embraced the flylady, but I am trying! There comes a time in life when you have to stop living like a teenager and throwing dirty clothes on the floor and letting the dishes pile up. I think I'm almost there!

Welcome Cinisha! I wish I had some profound words to guide you. We are all doing different things. I am using Weight Watchers which is working well for me. I do know that you have to watch yourself to make sure that you eat enough, and increasing calories is often necessary to get the weight loss started. My motto is always eat breakfast to get your metabolism started for the day. Eating so little puts your body in starvation mode and makes it even harder to lose weight. And of course, it makes it harder to stay on any program if it can't be sustained over th long haul. I know the other singles here can probably add more insight than I can. Stick with us kid and you'll go places!

Well, I should probably try to get to bed - I have alot to do tomorrow and I need to be in top form. Look for more frequent posts from me as I intend to lean on you guys alot while I get my act together!

JanetG
11-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Cinisha - check out the forum labeled "library" on this site. There are alot of posted articles on different weight loss plans that you might find helpful. Also, check out the "diets" tab on the 3FC homepage. There's alot of info there too. FYI

JanetG
11-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Hi everyone,
I've decided to post daily to keep me motivated. I went to the Y today to join, but it was crazy there (I guess alot of people had Pumpkin pie remorse! :lol: ). I decided to go back next week when things are quieter so I can get some more help. I weighed in this morning and am only up to 307.5, so I got through the doldrums and yesterday with minimal damage. I spent the day decorating a huge Christmas tree at the rehab center I work at. I started decorating it a few years ago because it was right outside my office window. My office was moved and I was going to stop, but one of the nurses told me the Alzheimer's patients love to look at it. That pretty much locked me into decorating it every year, but I don't mind. I could of picked a better day though because we had freezing rain :rain: today and I was pretty wet and cold by the time I was done. Nothing that a hot bath and a long nap didn't cure. I'm putting up my own Christmas tree tonight. I was sick with gallstone pancreatitis last December and didn't get much of a Christmas, so I'm really excited this year. Anyway, just checking in and hope to see some new posts soon (hint, hint)

slimmingsi
11-26-2004, 08:47 PM
Hi all! I was looking for a place for singles - seems I don't have alot in common with married w/children women.

i feel very outta place at times as i'm the only single guy in his 20's on this site that post regularly so i'm championing a minority cause so can i join you singles so i can feel well er normal

corningkat
11-27-2004, 02:27 AM
hey singles! welcome slimmingsi and cinisha! glad you could join us!

janet - my dad is improving slightly day by day. little things that give us hope. i guess the cause was his carotid artery is 98% blocked. they are talking surgery when he is more stable. he is trying to communicate with signs the best he can. i talked to him last nite and my mom said he kept shaking his head so he knew what i was saying which is good. they said it will be a long road to recovery so we just have to be strong for him. thanks for the words of encoragement. :) as for the Y, i went to my local one a few years ago just to check it out and there were so many people there was no machines available and there were kids everywhere. it was too crowded for me. i do think i'm on the right track. now that i have laid off the knee therapy it is feeling much better already. i have only had one session for my back but the theory my pt therapist explained sound very promising. if feels good to be moving a little more. i am also going to join the ww meeting. i am going next thursday. that is the only day meeting and since this past one was a holiday i had to wait another week. it is nice that you decorate that tree and make those people feel good.

cinisha - i don't have much advice, but i do agree to not skip meals and make sure to eat breakfast. when you skip that just make you hungrier later. i try to stick to weight watchers too. it has worked for me in the past. i just have to buckle down. good luck

slimmingsi - are u following any kind of plan?? it's always good to here a male perspective on things.

i actually have another day off tomorrow. i am going to meet a friend i've just reconciled with. then i am going to our local parade. it is a really nice parade. it is called the parade of lights. i hope the weather is nice.

have a nice weekend everyone! will check back soon!
kathy

slimmingsi
11-27-2004, 08:13 AM
well ive never really been one to follow plans i kinda make one up and do it myself but at the moment i'm having a go to see how atkins reacts with me last time i had to give up cos of illness but i'll try it again if it doesn't work i usually go on a brown rice fish and chicken diet

JanetG
11-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi all...

Welcome slimmingsi! You may not have a formal plan, but you must be doing something right as you're down almost 100 pounds! Congratulations! (Thanks for translating stones to pounds for ignorant Americans). Oh, and I don't think any of us is overly normal, so you should fit right in :lol: .

Kathy - Having lots of kids around would be a detriment to working out, but I intend to go at 5:30AM on weekdays so I don't think it will be too much of a problem. My brother goes every morning at 6:00 and he says it's pretty quiet until 8:00 or 9:00. My brother has been going there for the past six years religiously since he underwent a heart transplant and said he'd show me around and be my exercise buddy. God knows I need all the motivation I can get for exercise! We got our first significant snowfall during the night last night, so it will be even harder to walk outside because the paths are icy, not to mention the cold. I know...whine, whine,whine.

Have a good Sunday all and I'll "talk" to you soon.

corningkat
11-28-2004, 12:03 AM
hey singles! i had a very nice day off. the parade of lights was beautiful as usual. it is a nice way to kick off the holiday season. next weekend is what we call "sparkle". a lot of vendors, food, etc. it is a lot of fun. they have an afternoon session for little kids and the nite is mostly for adults.

slimmingsi - what a great job you have done so far. i guess your own plan is working great for you. i can't do atkins because i just can't give up those carbs. :lol:

janet - those morning hours will be great for your workout and it will be nice for you to have that support from your brother. how much snow did you get?? i like the first few snows but after that i've had enough. when the weather is nasty i have a whole collection of videos to exercise to. that is when i'm able to again.

well, i'm off to sleep early tonite. it's been a long day. nite!
kathy

Michiemish
11-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Hello everyone...My name is Michelle im 26yrs no kids ad not married..And wanting the new challenge of losing my weight so i can be me again..over the years i have gained more and more weight stepped on the scale and saw a number that wa too high for my own comfort 227 :o ..it would be nice to be able to share stories and support with people going through life also..Hope to get to know everyone and share laughs and cries with other singles.. :D

corningkat
11-29-2004, 12:15 AM
hi michelle! welcome aboard! i am in the same boat! do you have any ideas or plans on how you want to lose yet??? i try to follow weight watchers, but i'm not being very successfull right now. i am going to join the meeting this week. i think i need that support to get me going good. i am having a hard time exercising right now due to injuries so that is discouraging.

well, thought i'd check in! i hope everyone has a good week. i know it's going to be hard to get back on track after a holiday!
kathy

Michiemish
11-29-2004, 11:09 AM
Hi Kathy nice to meet you

I'm going to start weight watchers on weds..I would start sooner but you know the whole work thing just gets in the way..But i'm going to try to start walking in the morning before work or maybe after work depending on the weather little chilly for southern califnoria lately..

Hope everyone has a good day :lol:

corningkat
11-29-2004, 01:27 PM
happy monday to all! i guess now we are on the way to xmas!! let the shopping begin! :lol:

i just got back from pt and i'm actually feeling pretty good today. the dr. was right about the knee to let it settle down. it is not hurting as much. i will always have to take special care with it though.

michelle - i totally understand the work thing. i work 2 jobs. my full time job is second shift and there is only one daytime ww meeting on thursdays so in order to join i will have to adjust a few things but i'm going to do it. maybe both being new we can compare notes. are you a returning member or new to ww?? i've been there umpteen times but it has always worked. i just have to stick to it!

janet - did you get snowed in??

well, i am off to do some cooking for the week! have a good day!
kathy

Michiemish
11-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Hi everyone

Kathy- good thing your knee is hurting as much..I'm going to be a total newbie to weight watchers..There is a few people and work that are on it and are doing well...2 others of my friends at work that are going 1 started like 4 weeks ago and 2nd friend start like 2 weeks ago ..we are putting together a little in work support group for each other to keep each other on track or just be there for when we need each other..I told them about the site and about the forums..

Well night everyone..have a good tuesday

corningkat
11-30-2004, 01:11 PM
hellooo! where are the rest of the singles?? busy, busy,busy! holiday time is here.

michelle - looks like me and you....are your ww buddies doing the flex plan or the core plan??? i think i'm going to do the flex because i need all the structure i can get right now. we are picking a bad time to start with the holiday season upon us. but really for me any time would be a bad time with all the excuses i make up. :lol: good luck with joining! tomorrow isn't it??

have a good tuesday!
kathy

slimmingsi
11-30-2004, 07:13 PM
well i'm 6lb down so only about 38 to go then i'll be fighting fit literally hehehe

SheriaVa
12-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Hi singles, I'm hoooooooome!

WOW! Look at all the new folks since I was gone over Thanksgiving! COOL! Welcome Cinisha, Slimmingsi and Mishiemish!! I love seeing new faces on our thread! More people to share with and learn from!

Janet: Pumpkin pie remorse! HA! I love that! When I first started working out at the gym in January 1999, it was SO crowded and I was discouraged. But the physical trainer told me "Don't worry...most of these are resolutioners...by mid-February, they'll be gone and you'll have room to breathe." I thought...wow, that is a sad truth of our society! So many of us go like gangbusters starting January 1 with our resolutions but fall off the wagon in a few weeks or months. And we do that year after year. I'm so glad I've broken that cycle and am living healthy all the time now!

P.S. It's my dearest friends who live in Delaware.

Cinisha: I ditto the others' advice to not skip meals, especially breakfast. I also suggest that you eat smaller meals more often instead of larger meals less often. When I started eating healthy last summer, I adopted the philosophy that has been promoted by many health and fitness professionals, which is to have 5-6 small meals every day (actually, it is more like breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner). You eat about every 2-3 hours and try to have a combination of protein and carbs at each "meal." I don't always manage that...sometimes my snack is just a piece of fruit and sometimes it's a piece of fruit and a few bites of cheese. I suggest drinking LOTS of water and trying to eat as much fiber as possible (though it's good to work up to that so your body has a chance to adapt). High fiber cereals and fresh veggies are good fiber choices.

Slimmingsi: Congrats on the marvelous weight loss! Good to have you here.

Mishie: Good luck on Weight Watchers!

I hope you all had a marvelous Thanksgiving holiday. Mine was quiet and restful. I had a little of everything I wanted, but kept portion sizes under control. I actually came back from 4 1/2 days out of town weighing LESS than when I left on Thanksgiving morning, so I'm pleased!

slimmingsi
12-01-2004, 10:44 AM
thanks all for making me welcome as you can see on my details at the side of this i've actually been on here for nearly 2 years!!!! but onlyl started putting myself about (no pun intended) since the mens forum got shut down. its kinda difficult with me as the only single 20somthing male in this community :'(

corningkat
12-01-2004, 03:00 PM
welcome back sheriva! i'm glad you had a good time. and good job on coming back lighter. we've missed you. :)

slimmingsi - great job on those 6lbs gone forever!!:bravo: i'm sorry your forum got shut down but lucky for us because now you're here! it's always good to have a male perspective.

michelle - how did ww go?

today is just another day, nothing exciting to report. i am still feeling better physically so i hope it keeps getting better. tomorrow i join ww. well, i have to go to work.

have a happy humpday!
kathy

SheriaVa
12-02-2004, 04:31 PM
We've been on page 2 all day so I thought I'd give us a boost back up to page 1 to make us easier to find!

I am down 1 1/2 pounds since Thanksgiving morning. I dunno what I've done differently but I sure hope it continues cuz I had gained 2 pounds over the past month or so and was very much in need of a loss!!

Hope you guys are having a great week.

txlawchic
12-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Hello, all! My name is Torrey, I'm 30, not married and no children. I usually post on the CORE Weight Watchers thread and came across this one today. I'm all about 'Singles Supporting Singles'!!!!! I have been on WW since the end of September and have had a steady loss until last week, when I had my first gain. This had nothing to do with the program, but my becoming extremely lax. I was doing the program w/2 or 3 "free" days a week and no exercise, I had a good run of luck but this has finally caught up with me.

Anyway, I love this site b/c of the amazing support (which you can not have too much of) and the great ideas. I only go to WW to pick up new literature and to weigh-in, I find that I personally don't get much out of the meetings.

Thank you for adding this thread!!!

SheriaVa
12-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Welcome, Txlawchic! We love to see new faces!

I wasn't sure if I read your post correctly...did you mean that you have not exercised at all since you've been on WW or just on those 2 or 3 "free" days per week? Just curious, cuz if you've been doing well losing weight with no exercise, you really ARE a lucky one! :)

Of course, you're also 30, so you probably still have a faster metabolism. Once you get past age 40 or so, you won't be able to count on that anymore, unfortunately! I didn't start this journey until I was 50 1/2 and it has been a real challenge. The older you get, the more your metabolism slows down...and when you have yo-yo dieted your whole life as I have, that only makes it worse. I really see now what a disservice I did to my body and my health by going on and off diets for so many years! I've been at this for almost a year and a half now and I hope to make it forever this time!

txlawchic
12-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Thank you for the welcome, SheriaVa! Congratulations on your weight loss success!!!! Very inspirational. Since turning 30, I have been on a mission to make the loss a smart and permanent thing, especially since I've heard the older you get the harder it is, but you are doing exceptionally well!!! Congrats again!!

I've had virtually no workouts since starting WW, maybe 2 :45 minute walks and a couple of :20 minute treadmill visits, oh and I did Pilates once. ; ) I've just been incredibly lazy and I know from past experience that my weight loss works better with workouts. But I think I have just be high on the fact that I was losing without the gym. The loss would have been more and I would be closer to my monthly goal if I had worked out, but 'you live and you learn'!!! So, I'm back in the gym. Wish me luck!!!

JanetG
12-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone,
Sorry about the absence. I know I always promise to do better, but at least I am consistent about being inconsistent :sorry: . I didn't really go anywhere, but life has been very hectic lately. My 20-year old neice moved into my basement this past weekend and I have been trying to clean up the basement and create a space for her. My basement was the repository of every piece of junk I had ever collected, so it was a challenge to clear some living space for her. Now she's got a great place now, but the other half of my basement is...well, there are really no words to describe. I have a three day weekend, so I hope to beat it into submission :lol: . I have been pretty good about staying on program and am down 42 pounds, so I feel I am in a pretty good place going into the Christmas season. I only need to lose 3 more pounds to make my goal of being under 300 by the new year :crossed: .

Kathy - thanks for keeping our thread alive! No I didn't get snowed in. We didn't get much and alot of it has melted. I'm still waiting for our first big dump! I love the winter months because I really kind of hate yardwork, so the snow is my excuse - and a pretty good excuse if I say so myself! I'm glad to hear your knee is better. How's the back?? I'm with you in doing the flex plan. The whole concept of stopping eating when you are satisfied is so foreign to me. I simply don't trust myself yet. Maybe in another hundred pounds or so.

Michelle - Welcome! I think it's great you have friends at work to support your WW efforts. I share an office with three other women, and two of the three joined my WW meeting after they saw me doing so well. It gives the extra support/encouragement between meetings that can make all the difference.

SheriaVa - Welcom back! I'm a little nervous about the gym, but I am going to check it out anyway. I don't know how I am going to work it into the budget, but I don't feel like I can afford not to. I need to keep my metabolism up and the only way I know is the exercise. Bummer! Congratulations on the 1-1/2 down. That's an accomplishment, especially this time of year.

Skimmingsi - sorry I'm not a guy, but I was raised with six brothers and was a pretty serious tomboy growing up. Does that help? Congratulations on the continued weight loss!

Torrey - Welcome! Losing weight without exercising and following programs are what I like to call "Gimmees". Unfortunately, it always catches up eventually. Have you tried another meeting with a different leader? Sometimes the leader can make all the difference. But then again meetings aren't for everyone. Good luck with the exercise - I find that even harder than eating right.

Have a great weekend everyone - and stay strong!

JanetG
12-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Hi everyone,
Just bringing our thread up to the top and checking in. I woke up all motivated to clean my house, but I have kind of lost it. I should get out to take a walk because it is kind of mild out today. But of course that would me doing actual exercise! Okay, no excuses. I'm off!

SheriaVa
12-04-2004, 11:15 PM
I had a TOTALLY lazy day...I'm just disgusted with myself. And yet, some sort of bug has been trying to nab me the past few days and maybe I just needed to give myself time to stop and rest. Naaahhh. LOL

Really, I know it's okay to just veg sometimes but I hate when I waste a whole weekend day doing it when there is so much else that needs to be done. Bleh.

JanetG
12-05-2004, 02:00 PM
SheriaVa - I am so with you. I have a three day weekend and had all these visions of getting things organized so the holidays wouldn't be so hectic. It's almost noon and I haven't done anything other than watch an old X-files program on cable and eat breakfast. I just can't seem to get it going. I'm eating like a slug too. Gotta get busy!

SheriaVa
12-05-2004, 04:01 PM
I dunno how many of you check out the Skinny Daily News with any regularity, but this week's essay (http://www.skinnydailypost.com/archives/2004_08_18_skinnydaily_archive.html#1215) was especially wonderful. It's about NSVs or "non scale victories"--i.e., finding a way to claim a victory in your fight for better health and lower weight even when the scale isn't moving. Lord knows, I needed to read this...because the scale has NOT been my friend this year, despite doing all the right things.

This is not to say, however, that I "do the right things" 100% of the time. I am human. I fail sometimes. And last night was a doozy. I am usually SO CONSCIOUS of what I am eating...or about to eat. But, now and then, this other person will just enter my body and take over. This is what happened last night when I not only CALLED Dominoes to order a pizza but proceeded to eat WAY too much of said pizza. So not only was I disgusted with myself about a day of non-productivity, but then I went and crowned it off with overeating. I really do not know who I am sometimes! SHEESH

txlawchic
12-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Hope all is well with everyone! Had a loss this week, so officially 10.8 lbs. down.

Janet: I have made a pledge to get some form of workout done each day, whether it's a walk, treadmill intervals, tapes or dancing around the house!!! Something to get the heart beating and the metabolism rising!!!

SheriaVA: absolutely, positively do not beat yourself up over the other night. You are human as you said and as humans we do function without perfection. In fact, our bodies are supposed to be geared to function on imperfection. Someone told me that sometimes after working whatever program you are doing "perfectly", a surefire jumpstart is to be "imperfect". That prevents you body from plateau. Okay not saying that we all should binge regularly, but you get the idea.

You have done an amazing job, per your stats and I don't believe that having pizza one night is going to bring those 36 lbs. back. Good luck to you and keep up the good fight!

Torrey

corningkat
12-06-2004, 07:51 PM
hey singles! welcome torrey! i am back amongst the living, though over the weekend i certainly didn't feel it. i finally caught the flu bug and was so sick all weekend i could barely make it from bedroom to bathroom. it was awful. today i am feeling better. i only went to work for a couple of hours and decided to come home and take it easy one more nite.

i did join ww last thursday and did good that day and friday till i got sick late friday nite. i haven't done the plan over the weekend but i really didn't eat much anyways being sick. today i had some soup and i plan on getting back on the bandwagon tomorrow.

torrey - congrats on the 10.8 lbs gone 4-ever! :cp:

sheriva - i know all about laziness. i had all these big plans over the weekend and did absolutely none. i was just too wiped out. i guess next weekend will be the weekend to get things done. i don't know who that alien is that gets into our bodies but they must be from the same planet. i think we need to kick some alien butt to the curb and get motivated.

janet - i'm glad to see you're back. i think i have the right mindset to work ww this time. i just had that little setback of being sick. i couldn't keep anything down. yesterday the scale showed a loss of 5lbs but that was due to dehydration i'm sure. back on track tomorrow.

well, enough ramblin' for now. have a good monday!
kathy

SheriaVa
12-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Torrey: Thanks for the support re my pizza binge! I know the reality is that, sometimes, I'm going to stumble...we all are. I've gotten MUCH better about not beating myself up for the little stumbles, but the big ones are tough. At my age and with my metabolism, every pound of weight is a monster to battle, so I can't afford to gain. Not losing is one thing...I've been dealing with that a lot this year (plateauing), but gaining...that's another!

Kathy: I'm so sorry you were ill...sounds awful! I have not been feeling great over the last week myself...not sick per se but feeling like a bug is trying to bring me down. So far, I've been able to outrun it! So glad you are feeling better now!!

corningkat
12-07-2004, 02:11 PM
hey everyone! it is a rainy miserable day here in ny. :rain: i decided to take advantage since i was up early. i got my cleaning done so that is one less thing i have to do this saturday. i am back on my ww program today as i am feeling much better.

sheriva - i hope you don't catch what i had. i wouldn't wish that on anyone.

well, thought i'd check in before work. have a good day!
kathy

slimmingsi
12-07-2004, 05:11 PM
well i have assended form the dregs of society to being a gainfully employed tax paying citizen lol and i start tomorrow

SheriaVa
12-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Congrats on the job, slimmingsi!

corningkat
12-08-2004, 01:07 PM
hi singles! congrats slimmingsi on the new job and good luck!!

tomorrow is my first weigh-in and i'm afraid with being sick it is not going to be good so i'm a little nervous. i'm going to start trying a little exercise and see how my aches and pains feel. i'm going to start slow because i don't want to over do it.

how is everyones holiday preperations coming along??? only 16 days left!! :)

have a happy humpday!
kathy

SheriaVa
12-08-2004, 02:21 PM
i'm going to start slow because i don't want to over do it.

That is very wise! I have learned the hard way that overdoing it too soon can have dire consequences!

how is everyones holiday preperations coming along???

Well I'm not QUITE as panicked as I have been. I have some of my Christmas cards done but those for my family and closest friends left to buy and send. I don't have many gifts bought, but 3 of the 4 of the friends I exchange gifts with have not only agreed to scale back on gifts this year but have given me wish lists or ideas for presents that can be bought online. YAY!

I'm hoping to get the tree up this weekend. I just have a little artificial one and I already got it out of the storage room, just haven't gotten it up yet.

Shelbi99
12-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi everyone! How is your week going? Mine is better! Down 3 pounds total since coming here. I had a little setback over Thanksgiving but I'm more determined than ever now. It seems like even one tiny bad choice sabotages my whole diet. But I know that and have to make good choices. Good luck to everyone this week. We all have the power within us to do this. This board is such a motivation!

SheriaVa
12-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Way to go, Shelbi!!! Congrats! I'm glad you find the board to be a motivating factor for you! It's wonderful to have support from people who understand the struggle!

slimmingsi
12-09-2004, 07:19 PM
no new job lasted 2 days then decided if i wanted to work with the mentally and socially challanged i'd be a social worker there place was full of nutters with imaginary friends and i'm not joking so i left

corningkat
12-10-2004, 01:43 AM
hi singles! i had my first ww weigh in and i'm down 1.5. not a lot but a good start i'm happy with. i've been talking with someone on the exercise board about something on playstation 2 called "dance dance revolution". i've decided that is going to a xmas gift to myself. it is a game that has a pad on the floor with arrows and you try to step(dance) on arrows as they come up on the tv screen. sounds like a fun way to get exercise. and i've read lots of stories about how much weight kids and adults alike are losing doing it.

slimmingsi - sorry about the job. if it wasn't something you were comfortable with then you did the right thing. i will keep my fingers crossed you find something you like.

shelbi - yeah on the 3 lbs gone ever! woohoo!!!! it's funny how a tiny setback can change our whole mindset, but then make us have stronger resolve. it is all mind tricks that we can beat together!!!

sheriva - i have done some shopping. i'm going to try to finish this weekend. i have so many appts next week and then the following week i have to get packed for my trip. let the craziness begin!!!:crazy:

have a good friday everyone!!!!
kathy

SheriaVa
12-10-2004, 08:57 AM
no new job lasted 2 days then decided if i wanted to work with the mentally and socially challanged i'd be a social worker there place was full of nutters with imaginary friends and i'm not joking so i left

You didn't know you would be working with the mentally and socially challenged when you interviewed for the job? Or you knew and thought you could handle it but the reality was worse than you thought?

slimmingsi
12-10-2004, 12:59 PM
i didn't know it was only working in a wharehouse caging up stuff for a supermarket chain and there was some right weird people there with special friends no one else could see.

SheriaVa
12-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Ah. I never was very good with the Brit sense of humor. See, I thought you really were working with handicapped people.

slimmingsi
12-11-2004, 07:13 AM
nnnnnnnooooooooooooo don't have the patience for that lol

corningkat
12-12-2004, 01:01 AM
i'm done, i'm done, i'm done....with xmas shopping that is. i finished it all tonite in one fell swoop. whewwww! now onto the wrapping....

my friend and i took her grandkids (both 3 yrs old) to 2 xmas parties today. i really blew that diet big time. and i did it without a 2nd thought till tonite. now i am mad at myself. i am going to jump back on tomorrow for sure. that will give me 5 good days till weigh-in to hopefully undo any damage.

how is everyone else's weekend going??
kathy

corningkat
12-12-2004, 09:45 PM
just bringing us back to the first page......

SheriaVa
12-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Sure has been quiet here this week, hasn't it? Well, 'tis the season. Everyone is no doubt running to and fro trying to get all the "stuff" done. I'm about to leave the house to do some of that "stuff" myself in a few minutes. Hopefully, the LAST of it! I can't wait to have it DONE and get rid of the stress of having it over my head!

Eating- and exercise-wise, doing okay. A week ago today, I hit the highest weight I've been since about June--very depressing. But maybe it was just water weight, because I quickly lost 1 1/2 pounds of it. Now I'm battling to get back down under 150. I've been doing that wonderful up a little, down a little thing for a month or two now and it's really REALLY annoying.

corningkat
12-13-2004, 02:11 PM
hi singles!! just got back from some last minute shopping things. trying to get organized for my work party friday nite!

sheriva - your up/down thing might be annoying but during these holiday seasons even that is an accomplishment. i am doing the same even though i just started ww. it is so hard to say no to all the holiday goodies. my work is the worst place. i think we deserve a pat on the back for not gaining the holiday 15.:cheers:

have a good monday all!!!
kathy

p7eggyc
12-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Hi all,
Sheri invited me to come over and check out this thread. We are buddies on another healthy eating board and she knew I was a single working on weight loss too. Enjoyed reading through the thread and looking forward to getting to know you all. I'm almost 2/3 of the way to goal weight but am currently just trying to hold through the holidays. After the New Year I'll be back to work trying to lose the last I would like to lose and then learning how to maintain. I'm currently totally stressed out by the holiday preparations but did make significant progress the last couple of days so hopefully by the end of the week I will have things under control.

Peg

slimmingsi
12-14-2004, 09:27 AM
i have failed badly this weekend i had 3 curries more pints of beer than i can remember i was out friday saturday sunday and monday nights and got very very drunk on all of them lol. saturday was my birthday so that explains the weekend and last night was rugby club coaches christmas dinner

SheriaVa
12-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Welcome, Peg! Glad you found us. :)

Si...ah the memories of my drunken youth. LOL I know it's hard to believe NOW, but there may actually come a day when you don't feel the need to spend every weekend night getting wasted! ;)

Signed,
The Elderly Matriarch of the Singles Thread

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

slimmingsi
12-14-2004, 12:29 PM
i know there will come a time when i wish to wear elasticated jeans with starched seams and just have a quiet night in with my slippers on but hopefully not for a very very long time :D

SheriaVa
12-14-2004, 04:12 PM
i know there will come a time when i wish to wear elasticated jeans with starched seams and just have a quiet night in with my slippers on but hopefully not for a very very long time :D

People STARCH THEIR SEAMS????? Hey, I may be old, but I haven't started doing anything that crazy quite yet. :dizzy:

(I do, however, love a quiet night in with my slippers. hehe)

corningkat
12-15-2004, 01:54 AM
hey singles! sheriva and si - you 2 are too funny!!! :lol:

welcome peg - nice to have you join us! and congrats on your weight loss success. it sounds like you have a good plan for getting thru the holidays. are you following any particular eating plan??? the baked goodies at work are overwhelming!

sheriva - i didn't know people starched their seams either!!:dunno: as for being a matriarch....you are only as old as you feel. i am 39 and love a good nite with a movie in my slippers too.:cloud9:

have a good humpday!!!
kathy

p7eggyc
12-15-2004, 03:27 PM
welcome peg - nice to have you join us! and congrats on your weight loss success. it sounds like you have a good plan for getting thru the holidays. are you following any particular eating plan??? the baked goodies at work are overwhelming!

kathy
Thanks Kathy! I am not following a structured plan. Have done it all with small changes, eating more balanced and exercising regularly. My philosophy is all things in moderation and that is working. Work hasn't been to fraught with bad stuff so that has helped. Tonight is the work Holiday Party though so we'll see how that goes.

Peg

SheriaVa
12-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Pulling us back to page 1 again. Wow. It's been dead here the past week or so!

SheriaVa
12-17-2004, 09:11 AM
We're up to 7 or 8 pages in the thread again. Are we about ready for a new thread or would you guys prefer to wait until after the first of the year?

corningkat
12-18-2004, 01:42 AM
hi singles! sorry i haven't been to visit. i am having a very bad week. my best friend lost her 15 year old son on monday. it is a tragedy. the dr. diagnosed him with the flu and he had appendicitis. so i have been with her a lot. the viewing is tomorrow and it too will be a long day. on top of all that i am trying to get ready to go to florida next week and i was organizing our work xmas party that was tonite. what a week! i'm glad it's almost over. i am physically and mentally exhausted.:stress:

i didn't make it to ww this week because i was so busy, but boy did i blow my eating plan right out of the water this week. especially tonite with our "dish to pass" party. so many goodies. the rest of the week i have been on the go so much i have been eating whatever and whenever i get the chance.:eek:

sheriva - thanks for keeping us up front. maybe we should wait because we probably won't have many post with xmas coming up and we can start fresh. i'll let you make the decision. i hope your week is going well!! :D

kathy

SheriaVa
12-19-2004, 12:22 AM
Oh Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear about your best friend's son. How tragic. And at the holidays yet. Jeez. That kind of thing just breaks my heart, because I know how, forever after, the holidays become associated with that loss and it just makes it harder.

My best to you, your friend and her family.

I'll wait til after the first of the year to start a new thread to make sure that everyone is able to find us when they get back to posting.

corningkat
12-20-2004, 12:57 AM
hi sheriva - thanks for the thoughts. yesterday was one of the hardest days of my life, but we got thru it amazingly well. this xmas is a bad one but i think it will be ok next year. my friends just had another baby right before their loss so he gives them something to go on for. he is our saving grace.

i guess everyone is busy with their last minute holiday stuff. i am finally all set. i finished the wrapping tonite. now i have this week to focus on getting ready for my trip. not doing so well in the eating dept., i haven't been able to get a grip on it.

have a good week singles!! :)
kathy

SheriaVa
12-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Kathy, I'm glad to hear about your friends' baby...that certainly will give them something to focus on in their grief, because you can't ignore the needs of a baby as they are totally dependent on you!

Glad to hear you are all set for the holidays. I am done except for wrapping, which will get done today/tonight, I hope. I actually enjoy wrapping to some degree so it isn't as much of a chore for me as for some.

Sure hope to see the rest of the gang returning here sometime soon!

p7eggyc
12-20-2004, 07:38 PM
I had to let you all know in light of our recent conversations re: pizza that I ordered another one and only ate the 2 pieces I intended to eat last night. Had another 2 for lunch today. I haven't eaten perfectly today (the coworkers brought literally a conucopia of food today) but at least I didn't come into the day following a 1/2 a pizza!

Peg

corningkat
12-21-2004, 02:09 AM
congrats peg on sticking to your plan. it is a great accomplishment to set a goal and achieve it. pass along some of that strength please... :lol:

sheriva - i'm sure things will pick back up after the holidays when people get their resolve back. as for me...work is getting overwhelming with xmas goodies. stress is not helping my resolve any.

have a good tuesday!
kathy

SheriaVa
12-21-2004, 09:33 AM
I had to let you all know in light of our recent conversations re: pizza that I ordered another one and only ate the 2 pieces I intended to eat last night.

You go girl! I really wanted pizza at some point this weekend and didn't have the stuff to make the healthy kind it home (the crust) but I wouldn't allow myself to call Domino's because the last 2-3 times have been scary in terms of watching myself lose control so I just didn't wanna go there again.

Weird thing is that, before I started eating healthy, I ordered pizza WEEKLY and rarely overate. I'd have 2-3 slices, pop it in the fridge and maybe have another 2 the next day for lunch before throwing the rest away. But now, it's like my body is saying "OOOOH forbidden fruit! Must eat it all!" and it is really scary to feel myself unable to control that impulse.

I am able to be so controlled in so many ways but I guess we all have our weak spot and "real" pizza is definitely one of mine.

p7eggyc
12-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Sheri,
It seems like that forbidden fruit thing is almost self-fulfilling for me. I have chosen almost entirely (I haven't had fast food fries and soda only once that wasn't a drink mixer...honestly 2 things that have no redeeming value nutritionally or emotionally for me) to choose to try and teach myself to eat in moderation all things instead of setting things up as 'not allowed'. I know this doesn't work for a lot of people but for me so far, I have tried to id what caused a problem and tried it again to find a way that it would work for me. So instead of not allowing myself to order pizza (and I did consider that tack), I ordered again with a different approach. It worked that time. I think the other problem with declaring things 'off limits' is there are times that it probably won't work and times it will be fine so it sort of rubs me wrong to just declare them 'gone'.

Mostly thinking out loud but I hear many of us (especially on the CT board) sort of declaring things 'off limits' a lot and I just don't necessarily agree that is the best approach. Not being able to live with some sort of food in your house or whatever seems like something to 'work on' not just 'avoid at all costs'. Of course, it's all about whatever works for you but I think this is just another symptom of 'all or nothing' thinking for me when I do it. Of course, I like you, rarely ate 1/2 or more of a pizza before I started eating healthier so binge eating isn't really the issue. I suppose if I was facing that, I might approach this wayyyyy differently.
Peg

SheriaVa
12-21-2004, 06:49 PM
But see, Peg, I actually AGREE with everything you just said. In fact, when people ask me "how did you do it (i.e., lose weight, eat healthy)?" I say that I don't consider any food "evil" and off limits forever (a mistake that I made for years in my "dieting" past); i.e., everything in moderation. As you've seen me say elsewhere, I plan for my days of having half a good restaurant burger and half an order of fries and eat it with relish! I also have a chocolate chip cookie when I want it (I buy ONE cookie from the Whole Foods bakery section). I eat a bite-size piece of Dove dark chocolate nearly every day for dessert. So the concepts of "there are no evil foods" and "everything in moderation" work great for most things.

But, for some reason, pizza is just another thing entirely. I can SAY (as I did the last time I ordered from Domino's) "I'm only going to eat 2 slices." but, once those two slices are gone, I find it nearly impossible to keep from going back for more. It's like a physical addiction that takes over my body and it is very unpleasant, especially considering that I am able to maintain control over almost everything else. This doesn't mean that, if I'm at a friend's house and he says "Let's order pizza." I would say no...it's not at all that I am expecting never to eat "real" pizza again. I am just accepting defeat, for now, on being able to order a whole pizza at home by myself and handle it well. I will definitely try again...just not right now.

SheriaVa
12-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Sheri,
Mostly thinking out loud but I hear many of us (especially on the CT board) sort of declaring things 'off limits' a lot and I just don't necessarily agree that is the best approach.

P.S. There have been times when I have felt like a leper on the CT board for saying that I eat a bite of chocolate every day. Sometimes, it feels like some folks are SAYING "everything in moderation" but not LIVING it. Or maybe they ARE living it and they just don't talk as openly about it.

p7eggyc
12-22-2004, 01:32 PM
But see, Peg, I actually AGREE with everything you just said. In fact, when people ask me "how did you do it (i.e., lose weight, eat healthy)?" I say that I don't consider any food "evil" and off limits forever (a mistake that I made for years in my "dieting" past); i.e., everything in moderation.

Yesterday must have been a day for tone to completely fail to come through on the boards! :) I knew you agreed with me and I just wanted to say/reinforce the thought...both for you (in case you were out of touch on this concept in re: to the pizza...obviously not based on what you said about having pizza in other times/places) and mostly for me to say to myself "it's really the right thing to learn to eat the pizza in moderation". I thought your line about 'not for now' was really important. I know we can't choose all these battles at once but I also don't think we should just accept banishing things either. Ok, stopping now before I dig myself deeper. :dizzy:

I think most of the successful folks on CT are the ones who are living that 'all things in moderation' but for some it is still more restrictive than you and I choose. That's the beauty of that site....lots of different perspectives (even when they clash).

Peg

SheriaVa
12-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Yesterday must have been a day for tone to completely fail to come through on the boards! :)

I had no clue what you meant by that when I first read it earlier this afternoon! LOL I wasn't following the vegetarian thread on the other site cuz it's about kids and I tend to stay out of those cuz I don't have kids. But I got bored and was just now catching up on stuff I hadn't read and WHOA!!!! I about fell off my chair when I finished reading that thread. Then I knew what you meant by your comment HERE about tone. hehe

corningkat
12-23-2004, 01:49 AM
hey singles!thought i'd drop by to say happy holidays! i am leaving for florida friday morning. i have a lot of business to take care of while i'm there. i don't do much at nite time so i will try to stop in.

while i am there i intend to get mind back to the right thinking. this holiday season has been an especially bad one for me and i am using food for comfort. i recognize the problem, now i just have to conquer it.

btw...pizza is my biggest downfall also. i won't order a whole one to bring home. if i want it, i stop by my favorite place and get 2 slices to go. that is the only way i can do it. if the whole pizza comes home i would eat at least half of it. on the brighter side, pizza is much better for you than burger king, mcdonald's, etc.... i have no problem with those places because i luckily just don't care for them.

have a great holiday!
kathy

SheriaVa
12-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Well kids, I'm heading to Delaware in the a.m. and am not sure I'll get back here before then, so I want to wish everyone a marvelous holiday. Here's hoping that there is less of all of us in 2005 (except those who are already at goal, of course hehe).

Thank you for your support in the time that I've been here.

slimmingsi
12-26-2004, 06:14 PM
mmm this place is quiet guess everyone got legless at christmas then apart from me cos i have the bloody flu!

corningkat
12-26-2004, 09:42 PM
hi singles! checking in from florida. it's not very warm here this weekend, but they are predicting it to get better and warmer tomorrow.

slimmingsi- sorry about your flu bug. hope you feel better soon!

i don't do much at nite here so i will check back soon!
kathy

corningkat
12-28-2004, 12:32 AM
hi singles! weather is looking better for the rest of the week! i hope all is well with everyone.

kathy

SheriaVa
12-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Hello! I got back from Delaware yesterday. OY! My friends there are usually so supportive with the healthy cooking--well, not this time. I guess they figured "Hey, it's our Christmas too!" and I can't blame them. So I arrive on Xmas Eve and dinner is basically a fried and processed buffet of finger foods. Fried mozzarella cheese sticks, what were probably originally fried and then frozen and baked empanadas, fried jalapeno poppers, BBQ shrimp & scallops with bacon and BBQ sauce and, bless them, a small veggie tray. Given that selection of food and given that I was hungry, damage was going to be done, but I think I held the line on it pretty well. I ate a lot of baby carrots and grape tomatoes but also had some of the fatty stuff.

My other major problem over the holiday weekend while in Delaware were the amazing chocolate chip cookies on a platter in the middle of the table every day. YIKES! Choco chip cookies are one of my favorite foods in the universe and, well, you all know how I am about chocolate! hehe Well, I had too many cookies over the course of the weekend but I didn't just pig out and eat the whole plate so that's something! hehe I also took my exercise DVDs with me so I could make sure and get some activity while there.

It looks like I picked up about 1/2 a pound over the weekend but I will have a better idea of it after tomorrow's weigh-in.

SheriaVa
12-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Bumping our thread back up to page one.

SheriaVa
12-30-2004, 06:55 PM
BUMP - Hello, hello, hello? Echo, echo, echo.

kjk123
12-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Hello all....

I've been active on the boards here for about a month, but just stumbled upon this singles group. Hoping I can join in order to get some support from people also living the single life.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy new year! Be smart!!!

SheriaVa
12-31-2004, 09:48 PM
Welcome, kjk! Love your weight meter (whatever you call that!). :)

Happy New Year, Singles!!!! Here's to all of us being successful at being healthy and happy in 2005!!

niksa
01-01-2005, 01:45 AM
Hello singles! I've been a member of 3fc for a while, but I don't post a lot. I figured that I would join one of these groups and it would be more of an incentive to post, and more of an incentive to do better also. :)

Quick intro of myself.. I'm 25 years old, single of course, and a triple major at the university of Iowa... but I hope to graduate in a year and a half. I am currently about to cancel an appointment to have gastric bypass this June because I have decided that it's not an acceptable solution, and I will go back to a strict regimen of diet and exercise.

So, glad to be here, and hope to talk to you all regularly. :)

SheriaVa
01-01-2005, 09:06 AM
I am currently about to cancel an appointment to have gastric bypass this June because I have decided that it's not an acceptable solution, and I will go back to a strict regimen of diet and exercise.

WOOHOO!!!!!! You go, Niksa! That's not to say I think it is WRONG to have gastric bypass, but I am just supporting your decision to NOT...I have heard from many folks that, even after the expense and pain of surgery (not to mention permanent changes to your body!), you still have to learn to eat right and exercise anyhow...so why not do it that way from the start!?? :) Congratulations on your decision and best of luck in 2005!

Welcome to the singles thread...it's been really dead over the holidays but I'm hoping that people will start drifting back "home" as things get back to normal with the new year.

corningkat
01-01-2005, 03:23 PM
hi singles! welcome niska and kjk! glad you can join us. i am a regular poster,but i am still on vacation till next tuesday. i will post more then.

sheriva - as i said i am still in florida. i return next tuesday so i will be back to posting regularly then. i've given up on the eating thing here. it's next to impossible with my mom. we spend most of the evening at the hospital with my dad then stop somewhere at 8pm to eat dinner. she doesn't cook much.
update on my dad - he has slight improvements which gives up hope for the future. when i get back i don't think i'm going to want to eat anything. :lol: i have to go rejoin ww too asap.

well, just thought i'd drop in. i will be back to yack next week. take care!
kathy

corningkat
01-02-2005, 04:07 PM
hi singles! bringing us back to the front. not much to do today and i got a little sun this morning so i'm hanging out inside and i'm bored so i thought i'd check in.

have a good sunday!
kathy

SheriaVa
01-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Good to see you, Kathy! I hope you are able to enjoy your time off even though I'm sure it is sad and stressful with visiting your father in the hospital (and dealing with your Mom while Dad is in the hospital). Have safe travels back home!

niksa
01-02-2005, 11:26 PM
WOOHOO!!!!!! You go, Niksa! That's not to say I think it is WRONG to have gastric bypass, but I am just supporting your decision to NOT...I have heard from many folks that, even after the expense and pain of surgery (not to mention permanent changes to your body!), you still have to learn to eat right and exercise anyhow...so why not do it that way from the start!?? :) Congratulations on your decision and best of luck in 2005!

Welcome to the singles thread...it's been really dead over the holidays but I'm hoping that people will start drifting back "home" as things get back to normal with the new year.

Thanks for the welcome! :) Yep, I agree, it seems to be a better and more long-term solution for me if I just do it right from the start. I wasn't really thrilled about the option, and my doctor really was just pushing me into it from the start. I'm not very pleased with my doctor, but all of my doctors seem to be the same way. Oh well. I'm working on a good, low-calorie/low-fat diet with exercise. :D So far, I've lost about 5 pounds... :)

My sister (the "perfect body" sister, you know, 34" 24" 32" or whatever :p ) is visiting her boyfriend for a month while we're out for winter break. We both go to the same school. Anyway, I'm all alone for a while again. Practically everyone leaves college towns during this week, so there's almost nothing to do. However, on the plus side, stores aren't crowded and there's no traffic.. :P

Good to meet you SheriaVa and corningkat. :)

Christalynn
01-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Hello Everyone.

This looks like a very active thread. May I join? I've been on WW for about 9 weeks. I'm a 30 year old working college student majoring in Elementary Education. I'm single(divorced) with no children other than a dog and cat.
I could use alot of construtive support and a few pushes.
I look forward to chatting with you all
till then...

Vicki142
01-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Hi, I'm new to the boards and just started my diet AGAIN. I'm a single mom, divorced for about 12 years with a 15yo son and an almost 13 yo daughter. I have a LOT of weight to lose and am really excited to have found this site. I can definately use some help along the way with motivation and support and there seems to be alot of that here.

I saw the comments about the bypass surgery. I was going to have that done too and then I decided also that if I had to learn to eat right anyway why bother. I am going to work on it myself. With being a single mom I just kind of felt guilty that I would do something that could cuase so much damage or death to me. I thought it was a little selfish of me. I know there are many many happy endings out there and I am truly happy for all those that have done it and succeeded. For me it just wasn't the right choice.

Hope to get to know everyone!
Vicki

Vicki142
01-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Is there a way to subscribe to a thread without replying? I have such a hard time with message boards. lol

Vicki

SheriaVa
01-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Is there a way to subscribe to a thread without replying? I have such a hard time with message boards. lol

Yes. At the top of the message board screen there is a menu called "Thread Tools." On that menu is a choice for subscribing to a thread. So, once you're inside this thread, just go to that menu and click on subscribe and you will be subscribed.

Welcome to the singles group!!

corningkat
01-05-2005, 05:29 PM
hi everyone!! welcome vicki and christalynn!!! the more the merrier!!! well, i'm back from florida. i had to take an extra day off because i had some plumbing problems today and i also had to unpack etc... lots to catch up on!

vicki - you made a good choice if that is your gut feeling. always follow those instincts. so what kind of a plan are you following???

christalynn - my dog is my kid. :lol:

sheriva - i did have a safe trip home. long waits in the airports but i made it. i did get a little down time to myself. i used it to sit at the pool.

well, tomorrow i am going back to ww again with a vengeance. i had planned to go in florida but it didn't work out. so i will just rejoin instead of paying for missed meetings. here is a good story... for those who haven't been here long i have been going to physical therapy for some time so exercise was out the window and i've gained about 20lbs during that time. well, i brought last summer's shorts to florida with me and when i went to put them on they were way too tight. what a wake up call...that is why i have a lot of determination right now.

i have to go. i will check back later.
kathy

corningkat
01-06-2005, 03:02 PM
hey singles! well, i didn't make it to rejoin ww today. i have to put it off another week. i got the "call" this morning. my dad passed away at 4:30 am. i just wasn't up to going to the meeting. i don't think i'll have to worry about it for a few days because i have no appetite at all. i'm really glad i got to spend the last 2 weeks with him, that gives me a little peace.

i hope everyone is having a good day. i will check back later. i'll probably be web surfing for something to keep my mind busy.
kathy

SheriaVa
01-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Kathy -- My sympathies to you and your family in the loss of your father. {{{Kathy}}} But how marvelous that you were just there to spend his last holiday season with him...that's time that I didn't get (I didn't even know my Dad was that sick before he died) and I regret it to this day. I'm so glad you had that...because you will carry that in your heart forever.

Be good to you!

Vicki142
01-07-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. I just lost mine in July, the 13th and I'm still trying to deal with it. We were very close. Take some time for you and like you said, you won't have too much of an appetite right now but don't not eat, you need your strength to get through everything. Take care and I really wish you all the best right now. We're here if you need us and when you are ready to get back on track.

Vicki

corningkat
01-08-2005, 12:08 AM
hi singles! thank you sheriava and vicki for your thoughts. i appreciate them. i went about normal business today. it was hard but i know that's what he would have wanted.

thanks again!
kathy

Christalynn
01-08-2005, 11:43 AM
hello,

Kathy-My sympahties to you on the loss of your dad. It's good to see that you are going about your daily business. I'm not sure if I could do that.
I understand when you say that your dog is your kid. I put so much time and energy into my two that I don't think there is romm for real children :lol:

I am finally back on track form not having electricity form your ice storm Tuesday and Wednesday. It seems that every time there is an ice storm, I am the first to lose power. I weigh in on Monday mornings and I'm usually a little paranoid the day before looking over my journal from that week..is that normal :?:

gonna go exercise..have a good day

corningkat
01-08-2005, 11:23 PM
hi singles! thanks christina for your thoughts. i very much understand the dog/child syndrome. mine is soooo spoiled. she's been with me thru thick and thin. i've had her since a pup and she is almost 12 now. i don't think i get paranoid, it's more like a self defeated feeling. i tell myself "i'm sure i didn't lose this week etc...". i guess i am negative about the weigh in. but then i get surprised and have more hope for my success the next week. i hope to get back this thursday.

i hope everyone is having a good weekend!
kathy

Christalynn
01-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Hello,

I hope everyone is having a good day so far.
Well, I weigh in in the morning :goodscale I'm not sure how I'm gonna do. I have all my points planned for today. Since I work 2:30-11:00, I won't eat anything after my lunch break @ 6:30. I'm an evening snacker so not being home till time for bed is very helpful. The ice is finally melting :dance: ..it sounds like it is raining :rain:.
I need to go. I will be back tomorrow and let you all know how I did this week.

SheriaVa
01-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Good mornin, all! It is 10:30 on Monday a.m. and I'm still lounging, chatting on AOL and drinking tea. I need to get myself motivated toward the door to go to the gym, esp. because I ran out of time to exercise yesterday cuz I had to get the laundry done before I could meet a friend for a movie and dinner. Wish me strength and motivation for exercise today!!

chica8
01-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Hi All,

I am new to this site and would like to join this group...Here is a little info about me: I am a recent college graduate, I have lost a little weight since graduating but I am a long way to my weight lose goal, I am a beginner in the weight lose challenge, I have not had any support in the past which made the situation much harder! I am committed to a life change and would like to have positive people around me who have gone through this and have done so well (Congrats you guys!!!)

Happy New Year!

niksa
01-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Hi Chica! :) I'm also new to this group. I'm a senior undergrad right now, but I don't graduate until next spring. Nice to meet you! :)

Ok guys, I went to the doctor, nutritionist (and dentist!) yesterday, doing the rounds before the semester starts up, and long story short, we decided that I was MUCH happier on low-carb, and much more successful. So I'll be doing that as soon as my cabinets are bare again (I'll be on low-calorie until then)... :p I wrote a lot about this in my journal, but I think this is a good decision. I was/am very unhappy on low-calorie. I'm glad I realized this before going on Weight Watchers.

SheriaVa
01-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Welcome, Chica! This thread was much more active before the holidays and I'm hoping that folks will start trickling back in now that the new year is here.

chica8
01-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for the welcome Niksa & SheriaVa. Today I joined WW and found out my actual weight (188) which is lower than what I thought. I am trying to start working out/actually being physically active :eek: but that part is the hardest for me to do. The gym intimidates me but I HAVE to go at least 2-3 times this week!

Christalynn
01-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Hiya,

I hope all of you had a good day. I though mine would never end.
I'm back for good now. I had lost my password and had trouble with my id but all is well now. I tried WW ice cream for the first time and it was yummy..all for two points. I lost 1.4 this week despite the binge that happened the night that I had no power. I really to start a non food journal. Do I just start writing or is there some kind of strategy? I think that writing things down will really help me through the things that come my way.
Gonna go for now. I'll check in tomorrow

corningkat
01-12-2005, 01:36 AM
hi singles! welcome chica! glad you can join us. i will be returning to ww this thursday. being active is all a part of it and i also have a very hard time with it. it is so much harder during the winter also.

niksa - sounds like you had a busy day with appointments. do what ever makes you happiest because if you're not happy then it is less likely you will stick to it.

sheriva- i wish you luck with your exercising too. did you see a good movie??

i didn't do too bad with my eating today. it's time to get back on the bandwagon even though i'm not rejoining ww till thursday. i have to figure out something for indoor exercise that won't be to rough on my knee. i am going to sell that lateral thigh trainer i bought because the twisting reeaallly hurts my knee. i don't want to irritate it again. it's funny because when i was in florida it didn't bother me at all. as soon as i got back to the cold it ached again.

happy wednesday to all!! :D
kathy

SheriaVa
01-12-2005, 12:44 PM
I really to start a non food journal. Do I just start writing or is there some kind of strategy? I think that writing things down will really help me through the things that come my way.

I agree that journalling is VERY helpful! In fact, studies show that people who journal their food are more likely to maintain weight loss than people who do not! But it sounds like you are talking about more of a "feelings" journal vs. a food journal...and that's good too!

I keep a food & exercise journal every day and the particular journal I use (The Thin for Life Daybook) has only a small place once a week for general thoughts or feelings. I wish it had at least a page a week! But I know others who just use a plain lined spiral notebook as their journal and they write in it every day, just free form, whatever they're feeling. I think it would be good to write down: what am I feeling today? If I ate out of control, why do I think I did that? (i.e., stress?) If I was particularly hungry today, why do I think that is? (emotional reasons vs. actual hunger...maybe you didn't eat often enough)...that kind of thing. Good luck with it!

SheriaVa
01-12-2005, 12:48 PM
sheriva- i wish you luck with your exercising too. did you see a good movie??

Thanks, Kathy! I did end up exercising on Monday...but late. Had so much to do that I didn't want to do an hour of cardio and then have to wash my hair and the whole nine yards so I did TamiLee Webb's 15-minute abs workout and then two 10-minute workouts (ballet and yoga) from the 10-Minute Solution DVD. Turned out to be a great (and varied!) workout!

The movie I saw Sunday was "Meet the Fockers." Pretty funny. Not a great movie but entertaining and amusing. Barbra & Dustin are a riot.

corningkat
01-12-2005, 01:25 PM
hi sheriva - glad you could get your exercise in. i am thinking about ordering that "urban reounder system" seen on tv. it looks like fun and my pt's said it is easy on the joints. have you heard anything about it at all??? just curious.
kathy

SheriaVa
01-12-2005, 05:16 PM
i am thinking about ordering that "urban reounder system" seen on tv. have you heard anything about it at all???

Haven't heard a word about it, which is odd, because I'm on another board where I would think I would have heard about it. I have heard about Dance, Dance Revolution there, which is apparently a video game (XBox, Nintendo, I'm not sure which system) that encourages exercise via dancing.

What is an urban reounder system and what does it purport to do for you?

corningkat
01-13-2005, 12:56 AM
hi singles! the urban rebounder is a mini trampoline and there are videos you can bounce away too. it looks like fun. i started that ddr(dance revolution) thread. i am definitely getting that. i have been trying to get it since mid-december but the playstation 2 became a hot item this xmas and there are none to be found till february when sony will be caught up on backlog. that was suppose to be my xmas present to myself. :lol: i guess maybe it will be a valentines gift.

hopefully, i will make it to rejoin the ww meeting tomorrow if nothing stops me this week. wish me luck!

have a good thursday!
kathy

corningkat
01-14-2005, 01:48 AM
hi singles! my motto is if it weren't for bad luck i wouldn't have any luck at all. :lol: i guess rejoining ww is out of the question. i went to the meeting and they informed me it was the last one at that location. the leader found a new job and they couldn't find a replacement. now there is no day meetings anywhere in my area. (i work 2nd shift) i then called headquarters in syracuse because i had bought the 10 week package to save a few $$$. i had only attended 2 meetings. they said they would reimburse me for my 9 tickets i had left but won't reimburse me for the joining fee and first week. that of course made me mad. it's not my fault they can't supply the service i already paid for. what a day!!!!

i guess i am on my own again. i am just going to follow it at home as i already have the materials my mom had gotten me. i did good today and tomorrow is another day. i will take it day by day.:halffull:

have a good friday!
kathy

SheriaVa
01-14-2005, 11:23 AM
they said they would reimburse me for my 9 tickets i had left but won't reimburse me for the joining fee and first week. that of course made me mad. it's not my fault they can't supply the service i already paid for.

WOW...that SUCKS! How unfair. You have to wonder if your local WW took your money knowing that the leader was going to be leaving soon. Hmm. You could always report them to the Better Business Bureau, but then I guess if the local WW is closing, it wouldn't hurt them much.

Well hang in there...it IS possible to go it on your own. I've been on my own for all but 3 months of the 1 1/2 years of my journey (for those 3 months, I attended a Weight Watchers @ Work program which was actually less successful for me than going on my own...but each person is different in terms of what they want/need in terms of structure, accountability, etc.

chica8
01-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Hi All,
Kat I love your motto, it could also be my motto was well!! But I hope that this doesn't become a set back (which it seems like its not going to be),I agree that WW should has refunded your fees.

I have justed started WW and its going ok, this was not the best week for me to start the program but I am glad I did. My downfall is exercising! I have not really worked out this week but I have made myself walk alot more than normal, I guess I'll start with baby steps!

Have a great weekend singles!

corningkat
01-15-2005, 01:18 AM
hi singles! well, today didn't go so bad in the dietary dept. i guess i will just do my best on my own. i ordered that trampoline that you see on tv. it looks like fun. i really need help in the exercise dept..

chica - i love to walk but i just can't do it in the cold. hopefully that
trampoline will come soon.

does anyone read prevention magazine?? it is one of my favorites and very up to date. anyways, the results of a new in-depth study are in about trans fats and high fructose corn syrup. boy was that an real eye opener. it's just too coincidental that the obesity and diabetic rates soared when food makers started putting so much of that stuff in their foods during the 1960's. i'm definitely going to be more careful about label reading.

well, i just got out of work and have to be back at 7am so i have to hit the hay! have a good weekend!
kathy

SheriaVa
01-16-2005, 01:19 AM
does anyone read prevention magazine?? it is one of my favorites and very up to date. anyways, the results of a new in-depth study are in about trans fats and high fructose corn syrup. boy was that an real eye opener. it's just too coincidental that the obesity and diabetic rates soared when food makers started putting so much of that stuff in their foods during the 1960's. i'm definitely going to be more careful about label reading.

I don't read Prevention but that article certainly sounds worth the read--is it in the latest issue on newstands now? I too have heard horrible things about high fructose corn syrup and its ties with America's obesity epidemic. I try to be very careful about label reading, but the truth is there is just too much that manufacturers aren't required to tell us right now. Hopefully, in the next few years, the laws will change on that and we'll be able to get more honest and open information on the labels. I'm not sure if the law ever went through, but I heard there was a law that would require ALL restaurants to put nutrition information on their menus starting in 2006. I hope that it passed because that would be SO WONDERFUL!!! I know when I found Dotti's Weight Loss Zone restaurant list and started looking up some of my favorite dishes, I was HORRIFIED to learn how high in fat they were.

I have been sick the past 2 days so I am not eating much but I am very happy that I have stayed on plan with what I HAVE eaten. I have not exercised in two days but hope to be feeling up to at least an abs workout tomorrow or something else that doesn't require jumping about and getting too overworked and sweaty.

corningkat
01-16-2005, 11:23 PM
hi sheriva - i hope you get to feeling better soon. there is so much going around. don't workout if your not up to it. you will overstress your body and make yourself sicker. that would be a good law if it passes. that article was in the latest prevention. you might be able to find it on prevention.com also.

well, i hope we all have a good week!
kathy

corningkat
01-18-2005, 03:12 PM
hi singles!!! thought i'd give us a quick bump up. where is everyone??
kathy

SheriaVa
01-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the bump, Kathy. Even though I was home a lot over the long weekend, I was sick for a good bit of it and wasn't spending much time online so I'm behind everywhere! I am a little concerned that the folks who were regulars here before the holidays still haven't made an appearance. :(

corningkat
01-21-2005, 01:19 AM
well, sheriva, i guess it is up to us to keep it going till they rejoin us. i hope you are feeling better. i stayed home from work tonite myself. i went to the dr's on tuesday and my blood pressure was thru the roof. she believes it is from that artharitis medicine so i had to quit taking it. now i've run out of choices. anyway, the pressure was down a bit today but i was having dizzy spells so i decided to stay home and rest. i have to monitor it till monday and call the dr. back. i've never had so many medical problems before. it must be my turn i guess.

i'm going back to florida in feb. for services for my dad and spend time with my mom. i'm looking forward to the warmth. she says it's not too warm there only 60-65 during the day. boo hoo! i say, she should try 0 degrees. :lol:

have a good friday!
kathy

SheriaVa
01-21-2005, 08:59 AM
I have hypertension too, kathy, so I know what that feels like with the dizzy spells and such...not pleasant! Hope everything gets figured out with your meds and you are feeling better real soon.

How wonderful you get to escape to Florida in February! WOOHOO! Like you said, even 60 degrees would be balmy compared to where we are! :) DC is usually relatively mild in the winter (compared to where I grew up in Ohio), but we have had some real cold snaps here and I have lived here so long now that I am a total wuss when it comes to cold and snow/ice!

corningkat
01-22-2005, 11:17 PM
hi sheriva! did you get to see the big president's parade? i watched some on tv, but not much, too boring. we are having a snow storm today. so i am cooped up. tomorrow is suppose to be pretty much the same. time to catch up on some sleep.

have a good sunday!
kathy

SheriaVa
01-23-2005, 07:27 PM
No, I didn't go see the Inaugural parade. First, because I am no fan of Mr. Bush and, second, because it was SO horribly cold that day (still is). I didn't even watch it on TV.

corningkat
01-23-2005, 09:44 PM
hello! i am no fan either, but i didn't want to say anything sarcastic because i didn't want to hurt feelings if you were. :lol: he didn't get my vote either. that was the day i stayed home from work and i didn't watch it either. this weather stinks. i can't wait till spring has sprung. i feel cooped up. i had today off because i told my pt job i would only work as a fill-in. i can't handle the 2 jobs right now. all i did was sleep most of the day though. i think it's cuz i'm not feeling up to par. this weather makes it hard for exercise. i can't wait till my trampoline and videos get here. i don't have to worry much about the eating end because i really haven't had much of an appetite lately either.

hey singles!! where did everyone else go?????? yooohooooo!!!!! come out, come out from where ever you are!! :)

have a good week!
kathy

corningkat
01-25-2005, 12:56 PM
hey singles! bumping us back up. trying to hold on to our thread. where is everyone???

have a good day!
kathy

p7eggyc
01-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi Kathy and Sheri,
I'm lurking around here. Not spending as much time online as I was before the first of the year. Kathy, I hope you start to feel so much better soon! I'm sure it's hard with the grief and not feeling great physically. I can't wait to hear more about your trampoline.

Things are going fine here. I'm hanging on to the exercise/eating healthy thing by my fingernails but that seems to be enough right now. Met someone new and it is taking a lot of my time, energy and focus but what a wonderful distraction. Fortunately, he is very health minded too and quite supportive of whatever I think I need to do to take care of myself so that is a wonderful thing. I hear from a lot of people about how their SO interferes with their success so I was quite happy to find him so aware on the subject. He runs marathons...yikes! :)

What else...hmmm...going snowshoeing for the first time this year on Sunday. Looking forward to that. Haven't been out in nature much lately and I need the sunshine and R&R.

That's all for now I guess!

Peg

SheriaVa
01-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Hi Kathy and Sheri,
Fortunately, he is very health minded too and quite supportive of whatever I think I need to do to take care of myself so that is a wonderful thing.

I knew about your new guy but didn't know he was also into the healthy lifestyle...how WONDERFUL! I would love to meet someone like that (as long as he wasn't TOO far in that direction--i.e., a fanatic about it).

You have met at least two great guys just in the short time I've known you. I clearly need to come hang out with you cuz I ain't meeting ANY! ;) Of course, a lot of that is because of ME! I am not the most open person to approach--in fact, I'm told I am intimidating and unapproachable. LOL

You know what? I think that a lot of that is from being heavy for so many years and having guys look THROUGH/PAST me as if I didn't exist and figuring that two can play at THAT game...but now I've gotten too good at looking like I don't give a S**T! ;)

corningkat
01-26-2005, 01:02 AM
hi singles! glad to hear some conversing going on. :D

peg- wonderful for you. having someone supportive is half the battle in my book. and like sheriava said maybe i should hang out with you too.

sheriava - i am just the opposite. i am too quiet and unapproachable i guess.

i have been talking to someone but i don't know if it will go anywhere. he is shyer than i am. well, i'm in no hurry anyways. i'd rather be friends first than jumping in with both feet again. i've learned that lesson too many times. :dizzy:

have a great wednesday!
kathy

p7eggyc
01-26-2005, 11:44 AM
I have to admit to this all being new to me too. Jack did tell me that he was sure a lot of men found me intimidating which I think is probably true. It was nice to hear that he wasn't though. :) I keep telling myself to stop thinking this but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have taken a second look 30 lbs ago but that probably isn't fair to him (or me for that matter). We met in the airport so that was just the beginning of what has been a totally out of the ordinary experience! It's pretty darn exciting to say the least. Needless to say I'm going to be eating some crow with some of my friends that kept telling me that it would happen when I least expected it and I kept rolling my eyes at them. hehe I definitely wasn't expecting a flight delay to turn out to be such an awesome beginning.

He found the Passing for Thin book I was reading this weekend. I think he's trying to understand where I'm coming from on all of this weight/healthy eating stuff (join the club! lol).

Peg

corningkat
01-28-2005, 01:30 AM
hey singles! it is late nite (my usual time) and i'm wide awake as usual. not much going here. been doing really good this week with my eating. i have not been following any diet in particular, just eating salad ( not a big fan) and lots of fruit instead of junk. so far the scale is showing 3lbs. i am happy with that because that scale has done nothing but go up for a while.

peg - sometimes something totally out of the ordinary is good to shake life up a little. i'm glad you are happy. how is that passing for thin book?? i've been thinking of getting it with a gift card i have, i just haven't gotten to the store yet.

sheiva - how is your week going???

have a great friday!
kathy :)

SheriaVa
01-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Kathy, I read Passing for Thin just before Peg did and I think it would be very helpful to most folks who have weight to lose, are in the process of losing or have already lost. There are things I don't respect about how Frances lost her weight, or about Frances as a person, and there were even aspects of the writing that I didn't like, but I felt that the content of her book was well worth the read...especially as it relates to the psychology of being heavy and how we are treated by society and how all our problems are definitely NOT solved just by becoming thin (she found that she just had a whole new set of problems when she got thin).

Aside from that, my week is going okay. Work-wise, I have been having a harried, busy time and kind of an attitude problem. But I had a good day yesterday in that I got two compliments at work (about my weight loss) from a coworker who has never mentioned it before and also got compliments at dinner last night with some old friends I hadn't seen in a long while. Though I haven't been losing lately (and have been really bummed about it), they all remarked on how great I looked, so it lifted my spirits a lot.

Peg, I've been told (back when I was still actively "looking" for a man) that it wouldn't happen while I was looking but only when I least expected it. Well, I stopped looking YEARS ago and it still hasn't happened! Granted, I live a pretty solitary life and I don't go out to bars or clubs anymore (plus my workplace is predominantly female) so there really aren't many opportunities for me to meet the kind of men that I'm interested in. But I figure if it is meant to be, it will happen. In the meantime, life goes on! I really question whether, at my age and all these years alone, I really could sustain a long-term relationship and especially a live-in one.

chica8
01-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Hi All,
Well it has been a pretty hectic couple of weeks since I last posted. Since my last posting I have lost weight but my adherence to my "diet" has lessened, I am not as bad as before but I am not doing as well as I could.
I laughed when I read the postings by SheriaVa and corningkat regarding seeming intimidating. I am a combination of both I come off as unapproachable because I am quiet! In my case I think I became unapproachable as a self-protective mechanism. I am trying to change this but it is a pretty hard habit to unlearn!

corningkat
01-31-2005, 01:39 AM
hi singles! the weekend is over already. can't believe it. it goes by sooo fast.
i got my new toy tonite finally. a playstation 2. i've been waiting for them to get some in at wally world. now i have to go to another walmart to get the dancing game i want. i got a few games with it tonite. it's funny how gaming technology has changed so much since we were kids. i am quite rusty, but i'll get the hang of it with practice.

sheriva - when i get some time to the book store, i'll check that book out. i already have a stack of books i haven't read yet. i keep buying them and don't find time to sit and read them.

chica - welcome back! it's been pretty quiet around here. i totally understand your defense mechanism theory. been hurt too many times. i spent some time this weekend with that guy i was refering to in an earlier post. i guess he likes me but it's hard to get him to talk. i guess he gets so nervous he clams up. i'll have to work on making him feel more comfortable around me. i'm in no hurry anyway.

have a good week singles!
kathy

corningkat
02-01-2005, 12:48 PM
hi singles! giving us a bump up again. i am killing some time so i thought i'd check in.

sheriva - do you think we should start a new thread? this is getting very long again. maybe a new thread would bring some newbies in also.

have a good tuesday! :)
kathy

slimmingsi
02-02-2005, 08:38 AM
wednesday calling morning all i'm bored lonely and depressed

SheriaVa
02-02-2005, 12:02 PM
wednesday calling morning all i'm bored lonely and depressed

Si! Good to see you! Sorry to hear you are feeling down, though.

Kathy...sure thing...I'll set us up a new thread and see if I can remember how to link it back to this one.

SheriaVa
02-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Okay, we've got a new singles thread (#3) started. It links back to this one and now you can link forward from this one to THAT (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=768948#post768948) one.