Old 10-27-2004, 08:53 AM   #1  
GmaTo8

Smile Chit Chat # 85

Welcome to the Jaded Ladies!

We are a friendly group who share all the ups and downs of our daily lives... not just weight loss. Won't you join us?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 09:19 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

Good morning, ladies!!

Cristi - good for you with the candy!! I bought stuff that won't bother me - Gummi Savers, M&Ms, & Kit Kats. Now, if it was Butterfingers or Snickers the kids would never see it, lol.

Jen - I love pink, but almost didn't get it because there is so much of it out there right now. But this sweater feels like angora, and that will be nice when we slow dance. About your photo, you could download it to photobucket.com and copy the img link. Then when you are doing your reply here, paste the img link from photobucket. Phototbucket is free, for a certain number of hits, then the photo disappears. But I bought an account and mine don't disappear - I delete them, though, lol. try to post the cake pic, ok? We'd love to see it!

Julie - love the idea of the Power Lunch Program!! You'll be such a positive addition to Danny's life, Julie! I'm very interested, week to week, how he does, so let us know, ok?

Hi to Marti, Susan, Angie, Katy, Mindee, Shanna, Sue, Kathy, Katiecat, Sam, Ellen, and anyone else reading this.

I helped guide Katie on a home-ec project last night. She had to design 2 dining rooms, using fabric swatches and pieces of wood pasted onto foamboards. I finally came in handy, lol!!

Not much going on today. I have to get some cleaning done! If anyone stopped by unannounced, I'd be embarrassed! So I'll put The Rolling Stones cd in and crank it - that gets me moving, lol!!

BBL with Jumpin' Jack Flash, lol,
Old 10-27-2004, 11:18 AM   #3  
RosieKate

Hello - finally checking in here....
Just been so busy! Leigh's birthday is on Halloween and there are so many things going on...parties at church and both schools, then of course a family celebration here on the big day. Yesterday we carved and painted our pumpkins...lots of fun.

I haven't been losing, so I haven't checked in on weighin day, but this week is looking up ( or is it down?). I like WW Core, but still need some external limits on portions, so I am counting Flex points while sticking to mostly Core foods. Anyone have a good recommendation for soy cheese?

Holidays are coming up and I attended a great talk at the preschool on trying to simplify the season so we don't get overwhelmed and lose all the joy the holiday should bring. It sparked an idea to start a thread here about our coping strategies for the holidays... I think I could use a dose of JL wisdom to help me cope with the tough food choices.

Sorry I once again don't have time for individuals....I'll try to get back later, but I have to get out and walk before the day gets away from me

PS - Jane thanks for the card!

Katy
Old 10-27-2004, 12:29 PM   #4  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Hi everyone

First I have to say Hi to everyone from Shanna Banna Her computer is goofy and she wanted me to say Hi for her and let everyone know she cares and is thinking of us.

Julie, the Power Lunch program sounds so cool! I know the kids that people help really appreciate it and love having a mentor.

Jen, the chili was good! It started out rainy and ugly yesterday and was a little chilly-the reason chili sounded so good. By the time it was done and time to eat the weather changed and it was warm. I don't care to eat soups unless it is cold. Yes, we liked The Grudge. Well, it was okay-it definitely wasn't scary to me. We had a few good laughs but I think we have a warped sense of humor.

Katy, you reminded me that I need to go get a pumpkin! DS#2 wants to carve one. I bought a fake one that has a light in it that looks real and that was good for me. I do have two small ones on the porch with the scarecrow but they won't be carved-just decorations for fall. Didn't really decorate for Halloween except to put some pumpkin lights around the door which I will turn on on Halloween night.

Jane, I used to buy the candy that we don't like but we always ended up with lots let and I hated having to throw it away. Just seemed like a waste of money to me. So we buy what we like and what ever is left give to the kids, even though they don't really need it either. If it looks like we are going to have a lot of candy left by 8-8:30 I have given kids handfuls of candy. Of course this was when the kids were younger and had gone trick-or-treating and didn't need to have more. It has been a long time since we actually lived somewhere where we had kids. The last place was in OK and I was surprised that we only had about 20 kids. I know more cities do more things now for the kids to keep them off the streets, like trick-or-treating in the mall. But I have a good feeling we will get lots of kid this year and I look forward to it.

Anyway, Hi to everyone else. Don't really have much to say myself-same old boring stuff going on in my life.

Last edited by FrouFrou; 10-27-2004 at 12:32 PM.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:51 PM   #5  

Height: 5'1"

Good Afternoon ladies--

Cristi--Glad you heard from Shanna, I haven't heard from her in awhile now, hope her schooling is going ok. As for the Halloween Candy....I buy what we like for the same reasons, hate to waste it. Last year I only had 5 kids show up and we live in a kid busy neighborhood! So the kids that did show up got HANDFULS of candy! This one little boy (so cute) looked at me when I did that and said "WOW...thanks lady!" Too cute.

Katy--This year we didn't buy any pumpkins! It's the first year that I haven't taken Jhanai to the patch and I am so heartbroken over it! We were so busy w/parties and stuff that we just ran out of time. James was wondering why there was no carving going on. So I may take Jhanai somewhere for another tradition for Christmas........not sure what yet. I think we may go and buy a bunch of stuff to make Wreaths.....been wanting to do that.

Jane--The sweater sounds so cute! The sale we've been having are at JC Pennys. As for the treadmill. I told James to wait until after Christmas....OR....instead of purchasing one, join a gym instead. (which I'm leaning on right now) I'd rather do more than just walk or jog on the treadmill. I miss the weight lifting. (And so do my muscles----they've gone soft on me!)

Afternoon to everyone else!

Well, last night I felt extremely horrible. Just felt bad and didn't want to spend too much time away from the bathroom.....so when I got to work last night, I told them that I just wasn't feeling good and didn't have their number and would like to go home. So I went home and I have the phone number so I don't have to make the 20min. drive to get there to tell them! I'm feeling much better now...I think I just needed some sleep. And boy...I slept good....no interruptions. Been a long time since I've done that.

Ok....I must gussy up and look presentable. You all have a great day and I will yap at ya another time!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:53 PM   #6  

Hey.....I just checked the chat room out to see if anyone was in......nobody....but I did see they changed it around a little. Looks good and has smilies in there! Now...if I ever get a chance to get in, how am i going to keep up w/that?

Better go!
Old 10-27-2004, 03:18 PM   #7  
RosieKate

Marti - hope you get to feeling better. I was talking this morning on a walk with my neighbor about gyms vs home. Since we both have small children we both were leaning toward the gym. We've been walking, but I don't think the weather is going to cooperate for much longer, so I need think about Plan B. We have a great community center nearby with a gym and childcare, so I may start using it more. I can pay as I go there and not have to deal with month-to-month membership fees. I do have a folding stepper for when I absolutely cannot get out of the house ( sick kids, bad roads, etc)

Jane - I love the feel of angora....That home-ec project is right up my alley. I used to love to sew for my home, but it's hard to get big projects going these days with the kiddos underfoot. So when we remodel or they get bigger, then I start sewing in earnest again. How's Home-ec these days.....I hear it's often called Life Skills and students learn money management in addition to household skills. I used to pooh-pooh home-ec as a kid. I learned my skills from the women in my family or I just taught myself. But now kids are growing up not knowing how to shop or cook, which I think is sad...those skills can really save a person some money.

Julie - I think your volunteering opportunity is great and you will find it so rewarding. I used to tutor kids for a side income and I found the many kids who were behind could catch up with just some dedicated one on one reading time. It was really that simple in most cases. So good for you!

Cristi- have fun with the pumpkin. We did a combination of carving and painting with tempera paint. That way my 3 y/o could get involved. Do you think your new neighborhood will see alot of trick or treating action?

Susan- bought yourself a cute bikini yet You are gonna have so much fun!
Angie - warming up yet? We just don't get that cold down here in OR. We were snowed in for a week early this year, but that was really unusual for us. I've lived here so long, I really like the gray rainy weather
Mindee - how's Tommy's job stuff going? The union helping him out? hope so - I thinking good thoughts for you guys
Shanna - Keep up the good work - Winter Break is right around the corner!
Sue - When do you go to CA? I'm sure you are very excited to see your DD.

Hi to anyone I missed

I had a nice walk with my neighbor. Then I came home and baked muffins (doesn't count as holiday baking!) Had alot of mushy bananas. Think I'll put a little orange frosting and sprinkles on them and call them Birthday muffins for my little pumpkin girl.

Hope the rest of the day goes well for everyone. Does anyone chat anymore - do you still meet up Thursdays at 6pm Pacific? I miss chat....
Katy
Old 10-27-2004, 04:33 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon Guys!!

Thanks for all the support on the lunch idea!! I met with Danny today and he picked out a book called " Saint of the Dragon"...not my choice, but it's all about him...We took turns reading, swapped every 2 pages..Plus they give the kids juice and cookies while we read, so I give him little breaks to eat it!!
I didnt think he seemed very impressed with the start of the book, but says he likes it, so I'll just grin and bear it!!
Im dreading Halloween here, so far I've only bought 3 bags of candy, the kinds I dont like!!! I wont buy the rest til the weekend, because I dont want to know it's here...We have a housing complex a few streets over and figured we'd get tons of kids last year, but only probably got 25, and were stuck with tons of candy!! Plus with it being on a sunday night, that kind of stinks!!
So I dont think I'll buy as much this year!!
JANE: hope Katie does well on the home ec project,, that was never my thing

MARTI: hope you're feeling better

RosieKate: what are the kids going to be for halloween?

Have a nice night Girls
Julie
jewels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 05:15 PM   #9  
kitty Momo

Ooooooh, Katy. I would never be caught dead in a bikini......haven't been in a pool in years.
I have a terribl;e body image.
Lost the weight but have loose skin..........attractive, eh??
Just on pins and needles......

He is a sweet man though. We kind of talk about what he looks for in a lady. His late wife was 300 pounds when she passed away and ......when he says...... it was her that he loved, that the weight meant nothing.....just kind of makes me teary eyed. Because I can hear how sincere he is....

He just really cares about me and he was cracking me up last night - so funny......

Bought a cute blouse today along with PJ's ,,,,taking advantage of summer clearance....lol....bought all new make up - still have a few more things but basically am done.

Thinking of taking a taxi to the airport or ask my sister. ,,,,,,,

Chili sounds yummy..........

Going to take care of a traffic violation today...lol......be back later....
Mom2Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:55 PM   #10  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Good evening ladies. I have been playing on my computer, trying to clean it up and de-bug it. I was wanting to totally strip it and then put things back on, but it is different than my old one, so I haven't figured it out yet.

Jane - I love the idea of the soft pink sweater. I know pink is really in right now, and I used to wear it a lot. Guess I just haven't thought of myself as "pink" lately. I have gotten into a neutral rut!

Marti - Hope you are feeling better. Yeah, we can figure out that new chat room.

Katy - Isn't it nice to have a neighbor to walk with? Mine talks non-stop, so I just walk and listen. lol. I haven't made my plans for CA yet. DD keeps changing her plans of when she will come to see us in Vegas. We leave for Vegas the 8th of Nov. however.

Susan - I just know you will have a wonderful trip. Look at all the support you have here. He sounds like a neat guy!

Julie - Good idea with the lunch program. You know it will mean a lot to Danny.

Cristi - I think we all agree about the Halloween candy. I asked DH if we could start a new tradition of giving the kids bananas or something. J/k He opened a bag of little candy bars today and so far I have resisted.

I feel pretty good about my walking lately. Have gone twice a day every day. The eating is going good, but I hate to think about weighing in as I am usually disappointed. DH is walking and eating better also, so we all know he will lose more than I do. Don't know how the eating will go next week. We are trying to clean out the fridge and not buy groceries since we are leaving in 2 weeks. Might get down to Cheerios....LOL.

Tomorrow we have a meeting at a condo complex to weigh the options of a new condo. If DH can have a workshop we find the condo very attractive.

I just tried Folger's Hazelnut De-caf coffee. I had always wanted to try flavored coffee, but couldn't find de-caf. I love it.

Okay..I have talked enough.
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:30 AM   #11  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Hello Ladies,
Susan, ask your sister to take you...its always nice to have someone there to say goodbye with.
Jane, love pink, infact had a pink day today,,,pink top, black pants with pink pinstriping and yup my fav boots, PINK! feet are killing me thou,,,,and top it off with my pink poncho,,,,hmmm maybe too much pink but do I care? nope
Katy, good idea about painting your pumpkin, I do that, and add strange things to mine,,,hats and scarves.
Another suggestion,,,take your old coffee cans or any other can and spray paint it, and then with black marker (permenant) make a scary/funny face on it,,,punch some holes into it and use a tea light. I used to teach a craft class, and that I remember was one of my crafts, I still have my cans.
I decorated my house with lots of spider webs and caution tape...lol and lights.

One of the ladies in football told me about making witches finger cookies...sugar cookies with a bit of green coloring, use halved almonds as finger nails...cool eh?
Cristi, I used to have to buy bags and bags of candy when we lived in Sylvan, we would have close to or more then 300 kids each year. We moved here and had like 5 the first year and then last year we topped out at 15...
The past couple of years I bought treat bags and filled them with fun stuff...erasers, spider rings, and candy.
Before in Sylvan I would just be glad I could keep up with all the kids. When the kids would come home I would make Monte go throu the bags with them and they would give us all the candy they didn't like and I would toss it back into the bowl and give that away too...
I did pick up my yankee tea light cookies,,,fresh picked cotton has to be my favorite.
Brandon asked me to pick up some hooker boots....hmmm now where am I going to find men size 14 hooker boots? Should see him in his fake red eyelashes...lol
well I should get to bed....
Angie
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 03:41 AM   #12  
starting over again......

S/C/G: 261.4/261.4/200

Height: 5'4"

Hello ladies…..how are you all doing?

A little post on me now: AF has come into town. I am on cd4, as of Thursday. So things are trucking along. I came out of the bathroom and I looked at Tommy and our friend Anna and said “ah ha…..I can drink with you guys on Saturday!”

He has also recently found his toes in the past couple of days! He love playing with them when mommy or daddy (or whoever) are trying to feed him or change him!

Brandon is 18lbs. 9oz. and 26 ¾ inches long. His head circumference is 16 ¾ inches long. His chest circumference is 18 ¼ inches long. He got two shots. The first one, DTaP, he didn’t cry at. When she did the Prevnar, he screamed. He is must be warn out because he slept from the time we left the doctors office until a little after 7pm, and then now he is done for the night. Ok, that was short lived, he is now wide awake with no intentions of going back to sleep! And he is actually looking at mommy this time.

Tommy has to call his union rep tomorrow. We got there and the receptionist says “his insurance has been cancelled.” I said “no it hasn’t because when I talked to Debbie in billing last week before I even scheduled his appointment, she said it was still the same.” She goes “well this says that it was cancelled September 1.” They sent us to the back waiting room, and then she came in and said “we will take him this month with just the Medicaid, but tomorrow you have to call and get that taken off there.” I said “if I take the Medicaid off there, then he won’t have any insurance.” By law, Tommy is suppose to have insurance through his old job until the end of the month which is this Sunday.

The nurse that came in to take all his measurements told me that I was anal retentive. I took along a chart of development that I printed out and have been putting a colored dot next to the things that he is doing. She looked at it and goes “well aren’t you a little anal retentive?” I said “hey, I like to keep track of what all my son is doing.” She then goes “I am not saying anything bad about you doing that. There are some parents who come in here and guess at what their child is doing. It is not that often that we get parents that come in here that have a log of what their child is doing.”

Oh yeah….I asked about the flu shot, and lo and behold they ran out three weeks ago.

Man….I haven’t gotten an email from here so I had to come back here to check things out. Me and our friend Anna, went out on a limb last night. We decided to dye each others hair the same color. And got totally different results! Mine is more of a reddish/strawberry blondish/brown. Hers is a blonde/brown and a little orange. My first thought about after seeing it all done, was “I hope Brandon still recognizes me and doesn’t start crying when I look at him.” Thankfully it didn’t phase him at all!

On another subject….we are going on Friday to get on hopefully WIC, bridge card and anything else that will help us out for now. My parents are coming down this coming weekend and they told us that they would take us grocery shopping to put some food on our shelves and fridge. Let’s see what else has happened……..my in-laws came over this past Sunday. Things went okay. They stayed for two hours, and finally took the hint that we had things to do when I went and jumped into the shower. Things have been all off for the past week. All of our sleep schedules have been thrown off. As well as our eating habits as well. Which I am feeling very guilty about….since it seems like I have reverted back to the emotional eating again. But I am getting out of my slump and gonna kick some butt! Tommy finally brought me down my work out tapes from the attic. So now I have to get my butt in gear to start doing them.

Oh yeah….we went to Wal-Mart last night with our friend Anna. We know where we are going to go to get all the stuff for Brandon’s first birthday! They have the ducky cake mold, ducky candles, and pretty much ducky everything! And we know where we have to go when we get the extra money to redecorate the bathroom! Wal-Mart! They have an entire bathroom with ducks….so we are going to do that when we get the extra money. Brandon was looking at everything and then got mad when we walked away from it all. Tommy told him that we would be back for it when we had the money to buy it all, he got a smile on his face and then was happy for the rest of the trip.

Julie~ I will keep my fingers crossed that things work out with being on birth control this cycle. I told her when they were over here this past weekend, that there was a place that was doing it for the high risk people ONLY, and all you needed was a new or gently used item to get a shot.

Cristi~ I was going to get Brandon one while he was at his doctor’s appointment but they ran out, so I think he won’t be getting one. I will just make sure everyone that wants to hold him that he isn’t used to washes their hands and to keep him away from sick people. Thanks for the comment about my new avi! Thanks for the Halloween card!

Jane~ We have told her over and over again that he needs to get the shot. Along with my GMIL, she hasn’t gotten it either!! Thanks for the postcard. (I think I already did say this…but thanks again)

Katy~ The job stuff is going I guess. We went yesterday and he got everything straightened around so he can call on Monday for his unemployment check. But we have both been looking in the classified section. There is one ad that caught both of our attention. We can both make some extra money by stuffing envelopes and what not. Tommy got the information sent out to him, we are waiting to get it to see if there is some kind of catch to it, and then we will go from there. He told me a couple hours ago, that if there is no catch to it, then he can work on doing it during the day, and then he will take over caring for Brandon so I can do it at night. But I figure that we both can do as much as we can during the day/night.

We are having Halloween here at our house. I can’t wait to see Brandon’s costume and to see him in it! I think as it is right now, I will take him out and Tommy will stay and pass out candy. But my parents are coming down, so we might see if they will stay and pass out candy while we take Brandon around the neighborhood.
tommysgirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 08:51 AM   #13  
GmaTo8

Smile

Happy Thursday morning, ladies!!

Katy - how're your classes coming along? Are they finished before Christmas? The class Katie is taking is called Houses/Interiors, but there is a Life Skills class, too. I think now that you're counting WW points, too, you'll start to lose again.

Cristi - I guess I'd rather throw candy away than eat it. Of course, out here I only buy for my DGDs, so there is none to toss. Angie had a really good solution - give non-edibles!! Our town sponsors trick-or-treating on Main street, and this year they have even included some games with it. The first one to complete some sort of puzzle correctly gets some prizes.

Marti - glad you're feeling better! Don't want you getting rundown! Chat is tonight... and you'll be at work, right? Maybe we can schedule another one for earlier in the day. Let us know what would be good for you, ok, and I'll add the info to the sticky.

Julie - bet Danny loved the 1 on 1 with you! Home ec isn't Katie's thing, either, lol. She has a good grade so far, but it doesn't come naturally to her, like her music and writing.

Susan - I had such a good time talking to you on the phone last night! Only 5 more sleeps! Just remember what we said about your sweetie...and it will all be ok.

Sue - wow, you'll be in Vegas before you know it! Yep, men lose so much easier than women, imho. It seems that when they make up their minds to do it, they don't fool around. Plus, women have an extra natural layer of fat - does that have something to do with it?

Angie - omg, you HAVE to take pics of Brandon to post here!!!! You could dress up like a pimp, lol. I just love the idea of the witch's finger cookies, and they would surely be a bit hit for any Halloween party. Btw, your pink and black outfit sounds very cute!

Mindee - Mary's dr tells her to keep the kids out of Walmart and other crowded stores during flu season... just a thought. Yes, you did thank me for the postcard, and you should get a Halloween card soon. Mail takes soooo long from our little podunk post office. There is only 1 employee at the site, and she goes home for lunch. I'm not kidding!! It's against the law to hold 1st class mail, but we all know she does it. Oh, about stuffing envelopes... around here it IS a scam. There was a letter to the editor about it a long time ago. The company will say you didn't do it right, or that you never returned them, and may even charge you up front to mail them, blah, blah, blah. If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. If money could be made that easily, why would they have to advertise for workers? I surely don't mean to rain on your parade, and hope for your sake that it is legitimate. You could call the Better Business Bureau or the Chamber of Commerce in you area for a report.

Well, it's very foggy here in Indiana. I'm taking Madison and going grocery shopping after it lifts. Makenzie - the little stinker - has been saying "Need Mawmaw" almost everyday, so she's been with me more often than the others, lol. But today is Maddie's turn for some 1 on 1 of her own. She calls me Wham-ma, lol.

Have a good day, and I'll bbl,
Old 10-28-2004, 02:21 PM   #14  

Hello everyone.

Well last night was a better night at work that's for sure. I had felt so awful the night before! But all is good.

James & I went to JCPenny's again yesterday before work. OMG!!!! We need to hide the checkbook!! But we saved another $140 if thats any indication as to how much we bought. I absolutely LOVE sweaters and they had so many sweaters on sale!! I have bought four so far! Very lovely. Now, to find so cute non-jeaned pants to wear!

Oh ladies....just when I was getting going on my post, I must go. I will be back later.

BBL
Old 10-28-2004, 03:30 PM   #15  
kitty Momo

Good Thursday,,,,,,,,,

omg- yes, 5 sleeps left!!! Though I doubt I will sleep Monday night *sigh* be packing and unpacking and packing,,,,,,,,,and darn, ,,,,,now I have missed the plane,,,,lol

Wonderful to talk with Ma Jane ........you are so sweet. I just was listening to your voice and it truly calmed my fears.

I told Rocky what you said and he agreed.....he feels what we have is special......he was busy cleaning his living room and next was the bathroom....lol....course I get the spare room. Which has Kris's tv in there....I thought that was sweet of him but Rocky said Kris just thought if he gave me his he would get a new one for his room....lol.
Anyway- I don't watch tv ..........and am I really going to be in that bedroom by myself??? He just laughed and said not if he had a say.......lol

hmmmm, we'll see..... omg- is that tooooooooo much info??? lol

Bought some cute capri's red/white strips with a white tee shirt.....my mom even has some red slip on's and if I wore a blue scarf Rocky could fly me from a flag pole on election day.....lol

anyway...........got meds!!!

Bet you look lovely in pink Angie........actually, probably is your color, with your pretty facial....thing.....lol...forgot what I was going to say...lol....

You buying swaeters Marti??? You and James need to snag Shanna and come for a margarita with Katy and I....someday!!!

Your little Brandon sounds like a sweetie Mindee......sounds exhausting all that you do - hope you are having a great Thursday.....

oh,.......your grandbabies sound sweet too Jane,,,,,bet you are a wonderful grandma

How is Sue and everyone else today????

lol......

There,.........I feel so out of the loop,,,,,,trying not to forget you all........sorry.

Better get to work,,,,,,
Mom2Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote