Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-26-2004, 10:39 PM   #1  

Default baby steppin (flybabies unite!)

I get overwhelmed and give up so easily I've decided to baby step my way to weight loss. (Any other flybabies?) I am an at home mom of 4 kids, 6 years and under, I homeschool, am currently rearranging and painting my entire house, buying another home for MIL to move into next month, and can't handle any more projects on my mind so...

This week I am going to make sure I drink at least 64 oz of water each day.

That's it.
That is my one soliatary goal for this week.

I will also try to eat healthier and move more, but I am not setting specific goals for that until next week. I need small steps so I can accomplish them and have something to be proud of for once!

Next week I want to add a few ounces of H2O to my daily goal, and some form of excercise. I want to lose this weight quickly, but I've wanted that for 4 years and it hasn't happened, so I might as well think 'slower' and actually accomplish it instead of whining about how hard it is. If I don't follow my 'diet to the letter I get mad at myself and just completely give in for the rest of the day/week. An unhealthy twist to perfectionism.

My husband is supporting me in this, but he won't yell at me when I need some yelling so I'm asking for your help! Is anyone else out there tired of beating themselves up almost daily because you aren't doing what you feel you should be in this area? If so, join me. You can start where you are at. Maybe 64 oz is easy for you and your goal is 100, or maybe you want to start with x amount of time walking. It doesn't matter where you are just jump in and lets get started.
luvinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 11:38 PM   #2  
my dad made me1 from wood

I feel the exact same and would love to join u
I am married(my husband sounds just like urs), have no kids, however I am homeschooling my nephew who is 8, and hopefully at the end of nov I'll be starting school.

I am doing my own at home version of weight watchers flex points can't afford the program at the moment. I just started it about a week ago doing ok on it but if i mess up I get so upset and am like oh well and for the rest of the day I eat and eat and be grumpy hehe....

My first goal is to walk or do treadmill 10 minutes at least 3-6times a week and drink 40oz of water a day.
scorchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:33 AM   #3  

Talking I do flex points!

Don't you hate the water thing. My initial attempts at drinking 64 oz about killed me. I spent more time in the bathroom, than any other part of my house, and I literally felt like I had to gag it down most of the time. In fact my goal was 40 at first also, I rarely made it. I do strongly encourage the water though, tough as it was to swallow it really did make a difference in my skin, as well as speeding up weight loss.
I did belong to WW until I got pregnant with #4, then I got put on hold. I joined online, but when I asked them to calculate what my points should be since I'm nursing, they kicked me off the website. Grr. I do have the books and was planning on implementing that again here in the next few weeks. I try to keep point values in mind when I'm choosing what to cook or just have the nibbles. Feel free to ask me any questions you want. Maybe we can start tracking our points together also?
Bravo for homeschooling by the way. It can be very challenging to say the least. Mostly my problem lies in self discipline, something else I'm struggling to change along with my weight. What curriculum are you using? We do a 'relaxed, classical approach. My daughter is 6 and doing 3rd grade work, so we feel we can take it as slow and easy as we want and we are still ahead of the game. My son on the other hand is going to have to get a boot on his butt to get any progress. I've never seen any one so distractible, and he is such a dwaddler! I don't expect a lot at age 5, but this kid could take 2 hours just to pull up his pants!
I'll stop my rambling for now. Just wanted to say hi, and welcome aboard.

Jennifer
Old 10-27-2004, 09:27 PM   #4  

lol two hours huh...

I haven't come near to drinking 40oz. I've drinking around 28oz.
My nephew and I do a very relaxed schooling with the A.C.E. home school program. we mostly concentrate on his reading and spelling he is a little behind on those. Math he can do the easy multplying plus adding and subtracting so we don't work on it as hard.
I actually do have a question about the flex points how do u do activity points?
I read ur post about weight watchers on the ww forum here that suck about the throwing you out on ur butt ( so to speak) but atleast they did refund you.
I would love to do the points with you I think it would help me stay on track I am not very good at disciplining myself hehe....
Today I had 21pnts
I haven't exercised today as of yet, was busy running around town, not sure if I'll get to. I thinking bout changing it to 3-5times instead of 3-6times because knowing me Ill get upset if i don't do it 6times and I don't think I can do that yet anyways hehe....
How was ur day?
talk to ya soon,
Heather
Old 10-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #5  

The activity points are used to give you a little extra catch when it comes to how many points you ate. They aren't very liberal with how many you get though. It was something like 1 point for 30 min of walking, I'll look it up later and let you know more. You can also use them without using them toward the amount you eat and just look at it as a boost in the diet. I didn't like watching them though. I was to good about saying, hey, I'll eat this now and work out for a point or two later. (how often do you really think that happened?) When I did my exercise in the morning I would be juiced and not want to waste the excercise by eating it away, so..

The record on my sons dwadling (that we actually timed) Was 3 1/2 hours or 5 1/4 hours depending on if you count the time that he was sleeping. He was told to go get dressed and we would take him somewhere. He went up and started piddlin arround. We decided that we would prefer to stay home anyway so why rush, baby was asleep, dd was gone, I was still pregnant with #4. About 2 hours after he started he asked to get a drink. We reminded him about the trip. 30 min after going back to his room I checked on him and he was asleep. He woke up and slowly finished dressing. Then came down with a huge smile on his face and said "I'm dressed and ready to go now." I laughed so hard I cried. He didn't seem to have any concept of the hours that had passed! And the only toy that was out was 1 plastic army like figure. Go figure.

28 oz. of water sounds exactly like me about a year ago. I average 36oz now if I don't really push myself. I do agree with the 'experts though. I'm much less hungry if I've been drinking my water. It doesn't seem to affect me on day one so much as it does day 2 and on. It must be connected to hydration. I never realized how much 1 oz was until I started counting them as I drank them. 1 oz of chips or cherry coke sure doesn't seem like much!

I didn't even think about calculating my points this morning. I've probably done 11 already. Butter on noodles and veggies isn't a very point smart meal.

I've gotta go for now. I'll let you know more about those points when I find my booklet.
Jenn
Old 10-29-2004, 02:40 PM   #6  

That's so funny about ur son...
Well I did my 40oz of water yesterday and my points were 21 again. Thanks for the info on the activity points I probably would do the same thing and be like I'll walk for a hr after I had eatten something I shouldn't have hehe. Ur so right and ounce of this and ounce of that it doesn't seem like anything.
I'm on my TOM yuck so anything fattening and really sweet sounds so tempting right now. Last night I got to have a peanut patty so yummmmmmyyyyyy.
Well I'm off to go make some lunch
Heather
Old 10-30-2004, 11:08 AM   #7  

I did so good until last night! My husband is crazy about the stupid monopoly game at McD's and he wanted to eat there. I did have about 11 points left to spend, but I'm sure I went over. I am proud of myself though, I didn't even eat half of the fries. Not normally something I can brag about!
I am really struggling with the water. I feel like my eyeballs are floating in my head all day, but when I look at the water jug before going to bed I see that I'm just over 40 oz. Last night we had errands to do and I had that coke, but since it was the 3rd night out of 5.. I'm going to try again though. My problem has always been giving up as soon as I failed, I can't let myself this time.
I did a mild stretch and tone yesterday morning, I feel like I got run through a wringer. Did I stretch to much, or am I really that out of shape? I'm going to do it again today, but focus on other muscles. It hurts, but it feels good because it reminds me that I did do something.
What are your fav ways to excercise? I need some inspiration.

Jenni
Old 10-30-2004, 07:58 PM   #8  
Proud Mama

Hi! Do you mind if I join you?

I have 4 kids as well! Delaney is 7, (3rd grade), Riley 3 1/2, Parker&McKenna will be 3 in March. I homeschool my kids as well!

I have a hard time being regular with my water too.

When I am good on my water it is because I drank it all in the morning, just to get it out of the way. Then everything else is a bonus. I'll have to start that tomorrow. That also workes because I don't end up spending all morning in the bathroom.

Can you let me know how to do WW? I'd love to do that with you ladies too. I am good with knowing plans, and how they work. On my own, I tend to splurge. How many calories do you consume a day?

thanks! (i have a wobbling pre-schooler with chicken pox on my lap!) gotta go
Uggamugga4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 10:53 PM   #9  

Sure you can join! My 6 year old is doing 3rd grade work and everyone thinks I'm either a tyrant for pushing so hard, or lying that she is capable.
I did really well the first 2 days with my water, but I think my jug grew. It is so hard to drink that much. If it was cherry coke, I'm sure I'd get it down a little easier!
Weight watchers calculates the calories and fats of foods and then gives each food an amount of points. I'm not sure how they calculate it. Without buying the points guide it would probably be very hard to follw. E-diets wants me to eat between 1200 and 1300 cals. My doc says they/re nuts. He wants 1600 if I wasn't nursing (which they don't ask about), and a min. of 2000 while nursing. I say he's nuts. I'm going to try to start tracking points again, but I haven't been able to get to my points guides since we started painting. Luckily we have finished and dh is rebuilding the rooms tomorrow so I can hunt for it. The best bet would be to call your doc and see how many calories he wants you to eat. A nurse could probably figure it out for you with a few simple questions.
Anyway, we'd love to have you! If you can track down a food guide I'll gladly coach you on how to use it and do anything else I can to help. If you know anyone who attends meetings, give them $10 and ask them to pick up the food companion for you. It has tons of foods in it. It is really all you need.
By the way, I did all my water today! Yea me How did you guys do?

Jenn
Old 10-30-2004, 11:37 PM   #10  
Proud Mama

What a bummer! I responded to you, and it doesn't look like it posted!

KWYM. Delaney is 7, and she is really in 4th grade. (she's doing an online charter school), but I refuse to call her anything higher than 3rd grade. No matter what level she is really doing, I'll always call her the age appropriate grade. I run into similar issues that you do.

As for calories. I think I may have had about 1300 calories today. I AM SOOOOO FULL!!!!!! I am really trying to consume what I need and not go under! It can be so easy to have no more than 900 calories. NOT GOOD.

I'd do what you think is best for you, in reguards to calories vs. nursing. I've nursed twins while trying to lose weight. The only real thing you need to make sure that you are doing, is keeping up on your water supply. Even if you aren't eating enough, your body needs water first. And for every cup of coffee or caffiene you have, have 8oz of water, so it doesn't slow down your milk supply. But since you have other kids, I'm sure you know about this. I think doctors forget that Mom's do know best.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:49 AM   #11  

Welcome Carrie great to have you the more the merry ........
My husband love the monopoly thing too we need one piece for every color lol and our car is filled with the pieces we already have I usually just get a drink from there or hashbrown I love there breakfast. WTG on the fries Jenn
Proud of u both with the water.... I finally did my 40oz today yipppeeeeee...
I really like walking at night at the park and bringing a flashlight to look at the animals my nephew and nieces enjoy doing it to. also we have a trampaline (sp?) so we do that and dancing my nieces love it when we dance... I also have denise austin pilate for everybody and slim in 6 videos. I mostly walk though it my favorite thing and my husband does it with me so that makes it so much more enjoyable.
Sounds like u might have done a little to much stretching not that ur to out of shape.
OH man Carrie your poor baby with chicken pox I hated it when I got it all i did was stratch and get in trouble for stratching. Carrie I have a couple free ww websites and I think I have calorie website too.
http://groups.msn.com/WWBuddies2003
more stuff
http://www.dottisweightlosszone.com/WWinfoTOC.html
http://www.custom-diet-plans.com/weight-watchers.html
point caculator
http://www.cdkitchen.com/www.shtml
calorie counter
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/co...Calculator.asp
hopes this helps,
Heather
Old 10-31-2004, 10:47 AM   #12  
Proud Mama

Scorchin- Thank you so much for those websites!

Now now my other twin daughter has them too. Poor girls! So that's 3 kids with full blown chicken pox. They were up all night. ( My oldest just got over hers. I just realized that it was only my second child that had the vaccine. (she didn't have them very bad at all. ) Poor Parker, and McKenna. They are smothered in them.

I'll check those sites out after church, and let you know what I think. Thanks so much!
Old 10-31-2004, 12:36 PM   #13  

okay Carrie, what do you eat? Do you eat lots of raw veggies? That's about the only thing I know of that you could get stuffed on by eating that much. Actually, I probably should just go back to eating like that. I once did my own diet where I would make myself have an early morning apple ( I hate eating breakfast), then eat 1 cup of raw carrots/broccoli/cucumber... before lunch and have a huge salad before dinner. I didn't snack nearly as much and I was so full overeating wasn't really a problem. I'm also starting to eat lots of veggie soup. It is really filling! I put lots of herbs in mine so it taste yummy too.
It's going to be fun trying to drink all that water today. I forgot to drink it before church, and I'm going to a fall festival at 4. I have a feeling I'll spend more time in the bathroom than watching the comedy show!
Carrie: I'll be praying for your little ones.
Heather: I have been to dotties in the past, but had forgotten about it. I'll enjoy checking out the other links though. Thanks!

Jenn
Old 10-31-2004, 01:42 PM   #14  
Proud Mama

Jenn, I had really hearty low fat soup. Hot foods seem like they are more filling to me than cold food. I have to eat a TON of salad to feel like I am full. But 1300 calories in veggies isn't bad. (if that's where the majority of calories are coming from) LOVE beans. Beans are a good lower calorie, low fat food too. I like using beans instead of meat. MMMMMMM

I couldn't go to church today (because of the kids) I feel horrible to let our praise team down like that. We are so low on musical instruments as it is.

I am drinking water as we speak. Let me know if you get your water down today. I'm downing some now, because of you! Don't let me down! LOL Have a great time at your harvest party. I am hoping I can take my oldest daughter to one tonight.

What are you going to do with the sweets in the house?

How cute, As we speak, one of my twins (McKenna) is giving me water. I finish a glass, and she brings me another. She keeps saying.. YOU DRINK YOUR WATER MOMMY. Good girl! OOO there she goes again to get me another glass! Got to go!
Old 10-31-2004, 04:21 PM   #15  

Quick post, getting ready to feed everyone and go. I'm over half way there with my water. Guess I better get busy. Beans are a great way to lower the cals. I am trying to increase them, but dh can't handle to many. Causes him to many, um, uh.. well problems. Do you have any suggestions on how I should cook them? I'd also love any cheap on cash, cheap on calories recipes if you'd like to pass them my way! Our fav is red beans and rice, with kielbasa.
Well, I'm off. The kids have some games scheduled before the comedy show at church tonight and they are begging to get there early.
Night all.

Jenn

Oh, by the way. Did I forget to mention that tonight is desert night?? I'm more than a little nervous. Talk about temptations! It's halloween and for the first time in years I'm scared. Me, 50 or so deserts to freely sample. My scale breaking as I climb aboard.. Yikes! But, I can do all things...