Support Groups - Merry Christmas Challenge

View Full Version : Merry Christmas Challenge

Den@
10-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Well, it's now Autumn, starting to get colder each day, and you know what that means... more warm foods and carbohydrates leading to the dreaded holiday weight gain. Christmas is only about 9 weeks away, and I would love to start a Merry Christmas challenge. My goal is to try to lose 10 lbs. Are there any other buddies who would like to join me? It doesn't matter how much you need to lose or what plan you are on, the challenge is to lose during the holidays. Let's bring 2005 with a loss. Now that's a challenge!
(Hugs),
Dena

VermontChick
10-25-2004, 06:52 PM
You can sign me up Dena! My goal is to lose 25 pounds....:)

DewCan
10-25-2004, 07:14 PM
Sign me up too. 19 pound loss would be the best Christmas present :)

Den@
10-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi Miss Meliss and DewCan!

Now we're talking! Okay you are both signed up for the Christmas Challenge. On Monday we shall report our losses.

So our goals are these:

Miss Meliss: 25 lbs. by Christmas
DewCan: 19 lbs. by Christmas
Dena: 10 lbs. by Christmas

I just came back from the gym, where I treaded for 42 minutes and I'm drinking my water. I also counted my cals today, and I am being a good little girl. What are you both doing to achieve your goals? I'm so excited we are doing this. Good Luck, everyone!! :D

Anyone else wanna join, you are welcome.
Hugs,
Dena :cool:

sharqueen76
10-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Dena, can you sign me up as well too please?? I would love to lose 20 pounds if possible by Christmas! Thanks!

Den@
10-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!

Welcome Sharqueen76. You are now on the Christmas Challenge list.

Goals:
MissMeliss: 25 lbs
DewCan: 19 lbs
Sharqueen: 20 lbs.
Dena: 10 lbs.

So how is everyone doing... Miss Meliss, DewCan, Sharqueen? How did it go yesterday? I'm eating less, moving more and drinking 8 or more glasses of water. This is just so exciting and I can just feel those fat cells wasting away. What a wonderful Christmas present.

Well, it's time for my morning walk. We can make our dreams come true.
(Hugs),

rollmdl
10-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi,
I'd like to be included. My goal is to lose 15 lbs. by Christmas. So the idea is to report every Monday? Sounds good to me
Thanks,
Roll
sw/172
cw/164
gw/120

DewCan
10-26-2004, 05:18 PM
All I can say is that I hope it only gets better from here for me ;)
HAve agreat day all
Diana

Den@
10-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Welcome rolldml. You are down for 15 lbs. by Christmas. Let us know how you are doing. What plan are you on?

DewCan, Just start over. Never quit. Are you following any particular plan? We can do this together.

See you all later.

Den@
10-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Good Morning Everyone!
How is everyone doing? I really want to drop 10 lbs. over the next few weeks. So my plan is to eat less, exercise each day and drink 8-10 glasses of water. I know this plan is doable. We went out to dinner last night, which is always harder to stay strong, but I think I did better than usual. I just have to keep my eye on the goal and be persistent and strong. Well, it's time to exercise. Have a great day, everyone!
(Hugs),

KandiceS
10-27-2004, 11:01 AM
too late to join the christmas challenge? I want to lose 8 lbs by Christmas (at least 1 lb a week) 38 lbs to my goal.

I'm doing the curves diet (low carb high protein diet and exercise) I'm on Phase 2 now.

Den@
10-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Welcome, KandiceA. There's always room for one more! So glad you could join us. :) Congratulations on getting to phase 2 of the Curves Diet. I know you will achieve your goal by Christmas.

Good Luck, everyone. We can make this happen!!
(Hugs),

Den@
10-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi Everyone!

Happy Thursday.... only 4 days and week 1 is over. Boy, does the time go so fast! I'm going to start journaling what I eat, my exercise routine and how much water I'm drinking. This will help me be more honest with myself. It's funny how life gets in the way sometimes, and I find that I'm not doing everything perfectly. :dizzy: Hopefully, this will get me going in the right direction.
OK, here goes:
Breakfast: Waffle, coffee (no butter, syrup)
Lunch: Large plate of vegetables, egg, apple
Dinner: Chicken, apple
Water: 8 glasses
Exercise: 30 minute brisk walk. I had a meeting tonite, so I didn't have time to do anymore exercise. Hope to do better on Friday.

I'll come back later to jot down what I did the rest of the day.

Good Luck, everyone!
(Hugs),

DewCan
10-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi all, okay is there a specific weigh in day, or jsut post on our own weigh in days? Jsut wondering.
Diana

deleted
10-28-2004, 05:47 PM
:) Hi all! I am part of the "Senior Buddy Needed" Support Group, but will jump in on your Challenge if I may. My goal is to lose 8 more lbs. by December 22 (and then I will relax somewhat until January 2.) I have lost 22 and 1/2 lbs. in the last four months......... and have somewhere between 35 to 60 more to lose, depending on what weight I'm satisfied with.

I am doing Water Aerobics 3 to 4 times weekly, walking when my knees allow, and trying to stay under 1500 calories a day (I am 5' 10" so need a few more than some women.)

Good luck to all :flow1: ........ will report in on Mondays as to what I've lost! :flow2: This will be fun......... to compare notes once a week!

Den@
10-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi gals,
Only 3 more days until weigh in day!

DewCan, we can post anything about our journey to goal everyday... how we are doing, what we are doing. Then on Mondays we will post our weight lost for the week.

Tobaccygirl, welcome!! It sounds like you are doing a great job. Congratulations on losing 22 1/2 lbs. Excellent job on your exercise, too!! I have you down to lose 8 lbs by December 22.

As for me,
breakfast: waffle, coffee
lunch: 4 pieces of sushi, bowl of soup
Dinner: small cup of clam chowder, small steak, half baked potato, green beans
water: 8 1/2 glasses
exercise: 30 minute brisk walk this morning, 40 minutes on treadmill this afternoon, 20 minute walk after dinner.

(Hugs),

Den@
10-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Hi Everyone!

Two more days until weigh in. The weekend is here, which is my hardest time, but I'll think of you gals and weigh in day to help me through this.

Breakfast: low-fat bran muffin, coffee
Lunch: Small Caesar salad, low=fat cookie
Dinner: chicken, corn, mixed veggies, pear
Water: 9 glasses
Exercise: 30 minute brisk walk

Have a great weekend!
(Hugs),
Dena :)

Den@
10-31-2004, 07:09 PM
Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone is doing great. Is tomorrow weigh in day already? Wow, time sure does fly by fast.
OK, today~~
Breakfast: low-fat Bran muffin, coffee
Lunch: Chinese food = small cup hot and sour soup, 1 egg roll, couple of tbs. or rice, small portion of beef and mushrooms, fortune cookie
Dinner: Leftover Chinese food, 1 small twix bar (Halloween Candy)
Exercise: 30 minutes brisk walk after lunch, 30 brisk walk after dinner

Well, tomorrow the scale will tell if I did things correctly.
Good luck, eveyone
(Hugs),
Dena :)

KandiceS
11-01-2004, 11:40 AM
weigh in day for me tomorrow- every Tuesday... kinda nervous because this is the 4th week that I've been dieting and I'm not seeing a big change this week (as I have in the past- total 11.5 lbs lost in 3 weeks)- I know it's normal, but still... I weighed myself at home this AM naked and I weighed 187. So I'm hoping for somewhere like 190ish with clothes on tomorrow. that will be 3 lbs lost this week.

I've been doing the low carb thing- 40- 60 carbs a day.
today for breakfast I had a carb control yogurt
snack- pepperoni and string cheese
lunch 3 slices deli ham and 1 piece of cheese
snack- 1 green pepper
supper- lasagna- low carb noodles and lc spag sauce (like 49 carbs though total)
snack- more veggies

I like to treat myself about once a week to pasta. but I eat good the rest of the day. we used to eat pasta- some kind of it- at least 3-4 times a week before I started LC'ing.

Den@
11-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Hi Everyone!

KandiceA., Good Luck tomorrow! I know you'll do great! You've done really well so far. Wow, congrats on eating 40-60 carbs a day. Wish I could be that strong. You go, girl!!

As for me, I lost 2 lbs this week!! I am sooooo happy! My eating plan, water and exercise is okay so far. :)

My breakfast today: low-fat bran muffin, coffee
Lunch: Hamburger, cole slaw (instead of fries)
Dinner: Soup, chicken, veggies, low-fat cookie
Exercise: 30 minute walk after breakfast

Good Luck, everyone!!!!
(Hugs),

rollmdl
11-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Hi,

I'm not following any strict diet plan. I followed Atkins/protein power for a while and what feels good to me now is this:
No sugar or refined carbs, no potatoes, I'm trying to cut back on my unlimited fat habit and watching my calorie count using fitday.com keeping to under 2000 calories. I've been taking in about 1500 but 2000 is my limit, a "bottom line".
I haven't exercised much in the past few years and I'm starting to walk and am planning to start going to the local YMCA.
I've lost 2 lbs. this week

:hat: :hat:
13 lbs. to go before Christmas!

I'd had a 2 week plateau so I'm pretty happy about this loss.
Thanks for setting this challenge up, Dena. I've been posting on the daily check in thread and this challenge is providing me with a valuable mini goal.
Good Luck with your progress, everyone! :balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons:
sw/172
cw/162!!!!!!!
gw/120
weight by Christmas/149

DewCan
11-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Way to go Dena, on the 2 pound loss!!! :spin:

and you too Roll :spin:

Must a have been the week for 2's, I lost 2 pounds this week as well. Gotta long was to go before Christmas, 17 more, :stress: We'll have to see.

Den@
11-02-2004, 12:04 AM
DewCan and Rollmdl, CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OF YOU!!

DewCan, you're doing really great. Wow, you lost 2 pounds this week! Good for you. You're going to look super for Christmas. Keep up the great work. :bravo:

Rollmdl, two pounds down this week! That's so great! I admire your plan of no sugar or refined carbs, no potatoes and cutting down on fat. It sounds like a healthy plan. Keep up the great work! And you'll be a hotty for Christmas. Woo Hoo! :cp:

I'm just so proud of us! :)

How's it going Miss Meliss, Sharqueen and tobaccygirl?

Good luck, everyone
(Hugs),

Den@
11-02-2004, 11:33 AM
It is now 7 1/2 weeks until Christmas. (Can you believe it?) We are now into our second week of the Merry Christmas challenge. Anyone willing to not gain weight over the holidays, set a goal and try to meet that goal is welcome to join us in our challenge. You can choose to lose a couple of pounds or whatever. The main goal is not to gain over the holidays. What a great way to start off the new year!!

Our progress after week one~~

DewCan (Goal: 19 lbs.) - 2 lbs. lost
Rollmdl (Goal: 15 lbs.) - 2 lbs. lost
KandiceA (Goal: 8 lbs.) - 1/2 lb lost and 2.1 lbs of body fat lost
Dena (Goal: 10 lbs.) - 2 lbs. lost
MissMeliss (Goal: 25 lbs.)
Sharqueen (Goal: 20 lbs.)
tobaccygirl (Goal: 8 lbs.)

This is what I've done so far today:
Breakfast: Low=fat pumpkin muffin, coffee
Lunch: soup, chicken, veggies
Dinner: Hamburger patty, asparagus, corn, 2 low-fat cookies

Exercise: 50 minutes walking on treadmill

Good Luck, everyone!!
(Hugs),

Florafae
11-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Hello to everyone,

I would love to join the Merry Christmas Challenge. My goal is to lose 20 lbs by Christmas. I'm not on any specific diet plan. I'm just trying to watch calories, eat healthy foods and cut out all the junk food and sweets. I've been walking for exercise, but I plan to start using an exercise bike this week.

The longest journey begins with one step,
Flora

Den@
11-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi Florafae:

Welcome to the Merry Christmas Challenge. I have you down for 20 lbs. by Christmas. We're so glad you could join us, and I know you will look and feel better at the end of this challenge. Good luck to you.
(Hugs),

Den@
11-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!
Today I go to the dentist. Yowsers. In any event, only 5 more days until weigh in. And I still have 8 lbs. to lose in 7 weeks. Better get cracking on burning more calories. That seems to do the trick for me.
So far today:
Breakfast: waffle, coffee
Lunch: hamburger patty, veggies and 6 low-fat cookies!
Dinner: chicken and vegetables, roll
Exercise: 30 minute brisk walk and 1 hour on the treadmill to make up for my screw up at lunch
Have a great day, eveyone!
(Hugs),

KandiceS
11-03-2004, 04:04 PM
The post with 3 lbs lost is incorrect for me :( I wish so! I only lost 1/2 a lb this week. so down to 193 even and I want 185 by Christmas.... so still 8 lbs to go!

BUT on a good note- if you factor in my Body fat % then I lost 2.1 lbs of Body fat this week- so that means I must have gained 1.5 lbs of muscle?

I know I'm "tighter", but thankfully I don't really have to beg for a massage from Chris at night! :)

Good work everyone! keep it up!

Den@
11-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!
Another day closer to weigh in day. That's what motivates me... knowing weigh in day is around the corner and reporting my journey (progress or stumbles) to all of you. Wnenever I get stressed. I notice I start to overeat. I'm so proud of me that this time after eating 6 low-fat cookies and ready to just blow it, I stopped the cycle by getting on the treadmill for an hour. To me, that's success. :) I really want to keep this challenge going and lose another 8 lbs. by Christmas. I know we can do this together.

KandiceA, congratulations to you for losing 1/2 lb this week and 2.1 lbs. of body fat. That means you are losing inches!!!! Woo Hoo!! :bravo: I reluctantly changed the chart that said you lost 3 lbs., because losing 2.1 lbs of body fat is equal to that in my mind! Keep up the great work! We are all proud of you. :)

This is what I did today:
Breakfast: low-fat pumpkin muffin, coffee
Snack: apple
Lunch: hamburger patty, cooked veggies (no butter), rice crackers
Water: 9
Exercise: 30 minute brisk walk, 48 minutes on treadmill, 20 minute walk after dinner

Good luck, everyone.
(Hugs,)

KandiceS
11-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks Dena,
I am definitely losing inches, I know. When I got weighed/ measured on 10/26 for my monthy I had lost 10 inches and 11.5 lbs. (so now 12 lbs since 9/28)

Grand total from when I started Curves on 6/30/04 I've lost 28.5 inches and 11.25 lbs.
YAY!

Congrats everyone on your continued losing! keep it up!

PS I treated myself to 1/3 of a bag of popcorn today- the no salt no butter kind- 16 carbs, man was it worth it! I gotta find something else to eat today- I only have 34 carbs on the meal plan for today and I'm supposed to get at least 40. maybe I'll put some cheese or something on the stirfry and up the count a bit more.

carb control yogurt for breakfast-3
popcorn for snack-16
LC wrap and 3 slices of turkey- 12
pepperoni slices for snack-0
kielbasa and broccoli and Green pepper and onion stirfry- all free foods! 0 carbs
sugar free popsical for snack-3

I need to go workout- didn't go yesterday because I was working through lunch when I usually go and didn't go at night because "I was too tired" and then today I did some errands at lunch time- Chris needed some brake pads and they close at 5pm, I needed to go to CVS and food lion... I need to go tonight to workout!!

Florafae
11-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Hi to all,

I agree that knowing I'm going to report on check-in day is a great motivator. As my (lean) family munched away on leftover Halloween candy last night, I was sorely tempted to join them. Then I thought about my Christmas goal and weigh-in on Monday, and I fixed myself a cup of delicious herbal tea (peppermint) instead. I went to bed feeling great, not guilty. Thanks for starting the challenge, Dena.

One day at a time,
Flora

Den@
11-04-2004, 07:49 PM
I just saw both of your responses, Florafae and KandiceA, and I had to resond.

Florafae, wow, congratulations to you for being strong. :bravo: I know the feeling of seeing everyone else having snacks and wanting to join in. But, kudos to you for drinking hot tea instead!!! And I also know the feeling of getting back in control. It feels better than the first feeling. I am so glad you are with us for this challenge. We shall make it together.

KandiceA, You lost 10 inches this month?! And you lost 28.5 inches total?!! That is soooo awesome!! :bravo: Your success give me motivation to keep at it, too. So glad you are with us. Again, we shall make it together.

Just wanted to say both of your accomplishments inspire me. Thank you.
(Hugs),

KandiceS
11-05-2004, 09:50 AM
yup! :D the first month of excercising I lost 17.75 inches and then it slowed down for 2 months and then diet and exercise caused me to lose 10 inches this month.

but keep in mind- I wasn't doing ANYTHING! before... so my body went into shock when I started exercising again after 4 years (I played soccer from 4th grade through college and kept in shape during then but after soccer ended for me permently, then I became very sedentary, and my office job doesn't help either!!)

and I had never dieted in my life so when I started dieting (10/4/04) my body went into the same kinda shock I think and it came right off pretty easy... hope it stays that way. cheated and weighed last night- 2 more lbs!! hope I can keep it off until Tuesday to official weigh in day!!

That's what we're here for Dena! to keep each other strong! I love 3FC!!

Den@
11-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Yes, it's Friday. My favorite day of the week! This is my day to reward myself for making it through another week of work and for being so good all week. :) My reward: Going to the mall and perhaps buy something nice. It's always so much fun this time of the year with all the beautiful decorations being displayed. I feel like it's Christmas already.
How I've done so far today~~
Breakfast: egg, toast
Lunch: Sushi, mushrooms, crackers
Dinner: Out to dinner - 1350 cals total today
Exercise: 30 minute brisk walk
Water: 8

Kandice, you've accomplished so much in a short period of time! And congratulations on losing 2 more pounds. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the scale shows this loss on Monday. Perhaps you'll lose more! Keep up the great work. I bet Chris and your co-workers are impressed, too! :)

Time for me to go out and exercise.
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!
(Hugs),

Florafae
11-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Good morning.

Pick out something nice for yourself at the mall, Dena. You deserve it. Your support and words of encouragement are truly appreciated.

I'm going in for Lasik surgery in a few hours. Naturally, I'm a little nervous about it, and my stress level has definitely been elevated the last day and half. I'm happy to report, however, that I haven't strayed from my diet and have resisted all the familiar comfort foods.

Enjoy your Friday, everyone, and I will SEE you later.

Florafae

KandiceS
11-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Florafae- you have to keep me posted about your LASIK. we had open enrollment for insurance this week and I put money away in my flex spending to get it done next year. I have relatively good eyes (my prescription hasn't changed for 3 years) my left is -3.5 and right is -2.75. been wearing contacts/ glasses since I was 12 (half my life!! Man am I old! LOL!)
Been reading so much about it- can't wait! you have to let me know how yours does!!

Dena- I have to second Flora- your words of encouragement and setting up this challenge are very appreciated! Thank you!

on a non scale success- I think I'm going to try my "skinny" (size 14) jeans tonight. I've been wearing my jeans (size 16) and they're so loose around the hips and waist- with a belt it looks funny and I need a belt or else my bum crack will be showing!! I'm probably the only person in the world that has jeans all kinds of sizes in my closet. from size 10- size 18. my friend- college roomie- she lives in NC now too, she lost a bunch last year so she gave me all her in-between clothes... I want to do the same and get rid of all my FAT clothes! No going back now- ever!!

KandiceS
11-06-2004, 02:59 PM
It's official! the size 13/14 jeans from Express FIT! (and look d@mn good too!) LOL
I know Chris really appreciated seeing my newly found/ formed bum in the jeans instead of it sagging.
2 maybe 3 sizes left to go! (I would like to be a size 10- never worn a size 10 in my adult life)
WHA-HOO! I'm so excited! I want to wear them all the time to show off now! LOL

Dena,
what did you buy for yourself?

Den@
11-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!

First of all, thank you, Florafae and KandiceA, for your kind words. I'm glad I started this challenge, too. I've gotten to meet you wonderful gals!

Kandice, I am soooo happy for you!!! Wow, in just a few months you've lost so many inches and can now wear your size 14 jeans!!! Imagine by Christmas! At this rate, you'll be looking like one of those models on TV. I am truly happy for you!! :bravo:

Florafae, you're going for lasik surgery? I would be a little nervous, too. I'm sure it will turn out fine, but the thought of surgery would make me head for the refrigerator. Good for you for being so strong!!! :bravo: We want to know every detail and the results. Take care of yourself. I'll say a little prayer for you.

As for me, you know what I did?... I went and got a pedicure! My toes look great and I sat in this chair and got a gentle massage on my back for an hour. Let me tell you, this was a real treat and I recommend it to anyone. Actually this was my first time getting a pedicure, so I didn't know what to expect. But they soaked my feet, massaged my legs and feet, massaged my back and I felt like a princess when i was through. All this for $22! A grand opening price. What a deal. And my hubby was proud of me that I did that, too. :)

Today~~
Breakfast: Low=fat bran muffin, coffee
Snack: Apple
Dinner: Small caesar salad, Hamburger patty, corn, low-fat cookie
Water:9 glasses

OK, Ladies, Monday (weigh In day) better be good to us. We're all trying very hard. Now the weekend is here. My hardest part of the week. I've got to get through this time with flying colors. Talk to you soon.
(Hugs),

Florafae
11-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Greetings,

Dena: your pedicure experience sounded wonderful. Iíve never had one, but now Iím seriously considering it.

Kandice: size 14 jeans! Wow! Iím very impressed. Good for you.

The LASIK went very well. A few parts of the procedure were uncomfortable, but it was over very quickly. Was it successful? Remarkably so! For many years I have worn very strong glasses for both reading and distance. This morning, I drove to the doctorís office for a follow-up visit with no glasses at all. Also, for the first time in my life, Iím working at the computer without my computer glasses.

I will still need to wear very weak glasses for reading (I knew this before I had the surgery), but the difference in my eyesight is so amazing, that I still canít believe it. The doctor said my vision will fluctuate for a couple of months until everything has healed, but so far everything is looking great.

Monday is fast approaching,
Florafae

Den@
11-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Hi Everyone!
Today is a cozy, rainy day here, and it really feels like the holiday season. I love this time of year. Plus I went to the mall today, and ended up buying a nice pair of boots. Boy, am I rewarding myself. I guess all the decorations and pre-Christmas sales are working. :lol:

This is today's events~~
For breakfast: low-fat bran muffin, coffee
Lunch: small cup of hot and sour soup, beef and broccoli, some rice, small egg roll, fortune cookie (We went out to a Chinese restaurant for lunch.)
Dinner: hot and sour soup, fortune cookie
Water: 8
Exercise: Walked briskly 30 minutes after breakfast, walked in the mall

Florafae, wow, you are better already? That was fast! So glad to know that all went well, and that you are enjoying seeing without your glasses. :) Congratulations on your new image!

OK, ladies, tomorrow is the day. Good luck, everyone.
(Hugs),

KandiceS
11-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Dena- I love pedicures! Were you ticklish at all? the first time I went I couldn't really relax because I am so ticklish but you get over that real quick. $22 is a real good price- I usually pay $30 plus tip- so usually $40 (the girl who does it also cuts, highlights my hair and does my eyebrows)

Flora- glad the lasik went good- let us know how it goes still

Thank you- I'm so happy- size 14 jeans! it's a huge motivation to me to keep going!

and good luck to everyone tomorrow- weigh in day!
I'll report either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning what my weight was on Tuesday.

Den@
11-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!

It's 6 weeks and 5 days until Christmas. Our little group has set a goal to lose a certain amount of weight to that time. The main purpose is not gain during this holiday season and to perhaps bring in the New Year with a loss. Anyone else who wants to join us is welcome.

The big day~~

I lost 1/2 pound this week. I thought I'd do better, but I'll take it. I'm going to get my old weight watcher sheets out to make sure I'm not overeating. I thought I could wing it, but I want to know for sure. Looks like I need to burn a few more calories, too. My goal was to lose 10 lbs. by Christmas. So far I have lost 2 1/2. 7 1/2 more to go.

Points per day: up to 23
Today:
Breakfast: low-fat bran muffin, coffee=4 pts.
Lunch: Sushi, 5, veg. soup (no fat) 1, couple of chips 1 pt.
Snack: apple: 1 point
Dinner: hamburger patty-6, mayo-1, red peppers with olive oil-2, pear-1
Total: 22
Water: 11
Exercise: Walked briskly for 30 minutes after breakfast, an hour on the treadmill at the gym, 40 minute walk after dinner

Who's next? :)
(Hugs),

KandiceS
11-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Dena- 1/2 a lb is still 1/2 a lb that is no longer on you! (remember me from last week?) congrats on losing still!

Florafae
11-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Good morning.

Congratulations, Dena. Not only did you see the scales move in the right direction this past week, but you also improved your overall health (both long term and short term) by choosing healthy foods, eating responsibly and getting plenty of exercise. Hooray for you!

As for me. I've dieted enough times to know that the first week on any diet usually shows good results on the scales, but that most of what is lost is retained water and not fat. Still, I'm really happy to say that I lost 4 pounds this week. I'm hoping that at least half of that is "real" weight.

My weight-loss goal for the coming week is 2.5 pounds. My life-style goals are to exercise ten minutes more per day, to not do so much tasting when I'm cooking supper, and to practice taking smaller portions. I think I will try using a smaller plate at dinner and see if that helps.

As my eyes continue to heal from Lasik, I am losing clarity in my up-close vision (as was expected in my case), but my far-away vision is becoming clearer and clearer. I remain very, very pleased and amazed.

May we all have a good week,
Florafae

KandiceS
11-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Come on where is everyone else? I'm looking forward to everyone's loss this week!!

DewCan (Goal: 19 lbs.) - 2 lbs. lost
Rollmdl (Goal: 15 lbs.) - 2 lbs. lost
KandiceA (Goal: 8 lbs.) - 1/2 lb lost and 2.1 lbs of body fat lost- I weigh on Tuesdays
Dena (Goal: 10 lbs.) - 2.5 lbs. lost * thru week 2
MissMeliss (Goal: 25 lbs.)
Sharqueen (Goal: 20 lbs.)
tobaccygirl (Goal: 8 lbs.)
Florafae (Goal: 20 lbs.) 4 lbs lost* thru week 2

DewCan
11-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Dena, I'm here, been busy for a while, sorry.
I was down 1 pound this week and am disappointed. But instead of letting it get me down too much I'm going to reset my Christmas goal. My goal is now 14 pounds to lose. My goal is 179. I'm not using my scale anymore as it was inaccurate, and inconsistant. In accurate is fine, losses were still losses, but inconsistant is too hard to take. So my weight changed on my signature (up of course). Not that anyone really cares but I'm a numbers person. Anyways, I would like to lose 11 more pounds before Christmas.

Flora and Dena, congrats on the losses. Sometimes it's a cood thing to be a loser :lol:

Den@
11-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Kandice, thank you for putting up the weigh in chart. It looks beautiful!! And I forgot to answer your question. Yes, I was totally ticklish and I started laughing when the gal started massaging my feet. I had to force myself not to laugh, which wasn't easy. Good thing the gal laughed with me. :lol:

Florafae, congratulations to you!!! Wow, 4 pounds down. You go, girl! Keep up the great work. :bravo: I like your new goals. You're inspiring me.

I just came back from the gym, where I got on the treadmill for an hour. Plus this morning I walked 30 minutes. Hope to do the same after dinner. I will lose weight next Monday!

Is everyone else hiding? I hope not. You were all so excited last week. Come on gals, we need you.
(Hugs),

Den@
11-08-2004, 07:51 PM
DewCan, I'm so glad you're still with us!! One pound is excellent! (I wish I coulda seen that on my scale this week.) I think resetting your goal is a great idea. I hate scales. Mine always seem to be inaccurate, too. I know how you feel when one minute it shows a two pound loss and the next minute it shows a two pound gain. I try to be so careful with it, too. I treat it like it's a little baby. I hold it gently and get on it gently. I try not to make too many movements. I look like nut. :lol: I don't want to hurt it or it will give me bad results.

I missed your post before. We must have both been typing at the same time. :)

See ya soon.
(Hugs),

DewCan
11-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Dena, I can jsut see you cradling your scale and being really nice to it so it will be nice to you.
Diana

Den@
11-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi everyone!
I just realized there's only 16 days until Thanksgiving. I'm not ready for that. I'm still trying to get over Halloween and those effects. :lol: Since hubby and I won't be traveling at Thanksgiving to be with our families this year (we'll do that at Christmas), I made reservations at a really nice restaurant, because it will be just the two of us, and I'm not cooking. :lol: I figured that way we get to have a great time and no leftovers.

DewCan, even though I am super nice to my scale, it's still tempermental. I can't win with that stupid thing.

Kandice, we all anxiously await your good results.

Florafae, because you raised your minutes in exercise, I did the same. Thank you for the motivation.

Roll, are you still with us? Love to hear from you.

Today~~
Breakfast: low-fat bran muffin-4 pts, coffee
Lunch: Enchaladas 12 pts
Dinner: Chicken, corn, spinach in olive oil, pear=7pts
Total: 23
Water: 11
Exercise: 15 minutes brisk walk after breakfast, one hour on treadmill at gym, 30 minute walk after dinner

(Hugs),

deleted
11-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Ladies, so sorry to "drop out" for awhile! I did a Halloween party here at my house the day before I planned my first weigh-in with you (BAD!:mad:.) So I didn't want to weigh that day!:( Then I left the very next day to help my sister out, after her knee surgery, for four days, and I wasn't real bad, but not in charge of the kitchen.

I have only lost a half pound since originally posting here on the Challenge on the 27th so I still have 7 - 1/2 lbs. to go before Christmas, but I will give an "official" loss on Monday, if I may. I am getting back on track now, did my Water Aerobics both Saturday and yesterday, and am going tonight to the Y to get my weight-training program set up.

You're all very inspiring....... all doing so well! I'm proud of you, and I will try to post here more often. I have a goal of eating healthier ....... I have lost 23 pounds or so, but I haven't always eaten as healthy as I should while accomplishing that. My goal is to eat at least two fruits a day.......... just bought tangerines and Gala apples, and more veggies. (I tend to have a glass of wine with dinner or 4 miniature pieces of candy, etc., that use up calories that should be used on healthier options!:( )

I will definitely post next Monday, as to my official loss for this week, and I hope everyone does well with their programs this week. So glad to be in this excellent company!:) :dance: :)

KandiceS
11-09-2004, 03:49 PM
I lost 3 lbs! went to get weighed at lunch time. so 3.5 since starting the challenge.
down to 190 even. 5 more lbs to go for Christmas challenge and 35 more to go for my goal!

the 3lbs lost this week are also 2.712 lbs of body fat. I'm so glad that it's actual FAT coming off.

and since starting my diet on 10/4 I've lost 15 lbs total and of that 15- 9.385 lbs of it was body fat.

skinny_butt
11-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Is it too late to join? I'd love to be a part of this challenge. It sounds like everyone is doing well. My weight loss for the holidays would be to have 10 pounds gone by Christmas. That would put me under 200 for the first time in at least ten years. What a way to start out the new year!

Yesterday-30 minute walk in the morning; 20 cardio and 25 weights in the evening at the Y.
Today- 30 minute walk this morning. Don't know if I'll make it to the Y tonight but I might just sweat w/Richard Simmons at home! :D

Eating is going well. I'm doing WW and I am very pleased w/my results. Since I started WW about three-four months ago, I've lost 26 pounds. I had lost about 15 on my own before that but needed some accoutability if I am going to make this lifestyle change stick. I feel so much better.

Anyway, have a great health day! I look forward to getting to know everyone!

KandiceS
11-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Hi skinnybutt- I'd say sure you can join us- there's still 6 weeks or so until christmas. Just read our thread and get to know us!
I'm doing the Lowcarb Curves plan Phase 2 now (40-60 carbs/ day) combined with Curves 30-min workout 5x a week and lost 15 lbs since 10/4 and like 28+ inches too :)
it's working for me

Trust me- under 200 feels great! I was so disappointed with myself for getting over 200 (just this past couple years) but did nothing about it and it give you such more motivation when the scale actually starts coming down! (and the lower pants sizes too! I'm quite proud of my new bum if you couldn't tell :) )

but anyways welcome! weigh in day is monday!

Den@
11-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Hi guys,
I just got back from the gym, where I spent an hour on the treadmill. Woo Hoo!! Burn them cals. :tread:

Hi tobaccygirl, so glad you're back with us. Congratulations on losing 23 lbs., going to water aerobics and to the Y for a weight training program That's what I need to do... start lifting weights again. :bravo: Good for you for eating more fruits and veggies. We both have 7 1/2 pounds to lose by Christmas. We can do this!

KandiceA, CONGRATULATIONS ON LOSING ANOTHER 3 POUNdS and 2.712 of body fat!!!!! :bravo: I'm so totally impressed. You're really doing a great job and an inspiration to us all. :strong:

Welcome, skinny! Wow, I love your exercise program. You'll certainly get to your 10 pound goal by Christmas. I like to sweat to Richard Simmons, too. Maybe I'll pull out that tape again. That's how I got started losing weight a few years ago by sweating to his tapes. He makes exercise fun. Congratulations on losing 26 lbs at ww and 15 before that! :cp:

Florafae, how are you dong? How's your eyes?

OK, time for dinner. Talk to you soon.
(Hugs),

kristaf
11-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Is it too late to join the Christmas Challenge?? If not, count me in...I'm in desperate need to lose about 20 pounds before I have to meet with all my relatives again

Krista

Den@
11-09-2004, 11:54 PM
Hi krista,
Welcome to the Merry Christmas Challenge! We got you down for 20 lbs. by Christmas. You show them relatives! (Weigh in day is Monday).
(Hugs),

Florafae
11-10-2004, 02:17 AM
Congratulations, Kandice! Way to go. You are getting so close to your Christmas goal.

An hour on the treadmill? Wow, Dena. Thatís great!

I, too, have been thinking about Thanksgiving. As always, I will be fixing a large dinner for family and ďstraysĒ. I'll need a lot of willpower to get through it without blowing my diet, especially when it comes to the stuffing/dressing (my favorite part of the meal), but as Richard Simmons says, ďItís all about portions, portions, portions.Ē Iím so glad that I have the weekly weigh-in and the support of our group to help me stay on track.

Thanks for asking about my eyes. They're doing great. It has only been five days since the Lasik surgery, and it has already made such a difference in so many ways. For instance, I am actually able to read the scales without holding a pair of glasses at arms length and trying to get the magnification just right.

And finally, a big welcome and hello to Skinny B. and Krista. I'm glad you're joining us.

And now, I'll say goodnight.
Florafae

deleted
11-10-2004, 09:52 AM
Dea@, you have started a great Challenge here. It is a real incentive to know you and the other ladies here are so fired up! :dance: THANKSABUNCH!

I am about 24 pounds off as of today!:) So I'm hoping to break that 25 mark by Monday, our official day. At the moment, that gives me 7 pounds to lose by December 22!!!:dizzy:

BIG ACCOMPLISHMENTS JUST YESTERDAY: Ate fruit!!! No wine with dinner so held my calories to 1350!!!:D (I haven't had that few calories in ages!) Got my weight program set-up with a wonderful trainer at the YMCA - I'm such a weenie, and he made me so comfortable!:) I CAN do this exercise thing!:smug: (I wasn't sure............:^: )

Florafae, congrats on your Lasix surgery. I would love to do that, and may yet, even :lol: at my advanced age! It must be such a relief to lose the glasses most of the time.....

Kandace, you are losing like wildfire. Way to go! You must be putting in lots of effort!

To all you girls ... good luck in achieving what you hope to by next Monday! I'm with you. Thanks again, Den@, for this Challenge. :cheer: for all of us!

KandiceS
11-10-2004, 10:07 AM
hi everyone! glad to have 2 new members- Dena- have you updated the chart for everyone?

Flora- I love hearing about your lasik... I really want to get it done next year now.

Bonnie- I am putting in a lot of work but only because I want to get this off and have it stay off. from May 2003 to October 2004 I gained almost 30 lbs without even noticing it (well, noticing it a little because I did buy a bigger size) so now that I've lost 15 I'm feeling a lot better about myself and wanting to lose that other 15 to get back to where I was. But I think back and even then I was truly happy with my body or the way that clothes fit- so 25 lbs extra off of that is the goal. still a long ways away but everyone here and then my own personal successes keep me going. and the motivation of seeing me in my wedding dress and then also the bikinis on our honeymoon. All of that, but it's not going to stop after the wedding- I can't let myself go back to that. getting winded climbing stairs, no energy, I'm not letting myself get back to that ever.

Congrats Bonnie on eatting fruit and staying within your calorie range- I'm sure you'll see results that way.

I'd be interested in what everyone's plans are for t-day? are you going to take a free day? or not eat certain things? I know down here in the south sweet potatoes and marshmallows are a huge thing. I'm asking my MIL to just bake me a sweet potato instead for me. and planning on having turkey still- eat everything in moderation I guess- but I won't be counting carbs that day. I don't want to have to dig through the trash to get cans labels and everything in front of FI's family. and stay away from the cranberry sauce...

deleted
11-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Kandace, I will take Thanksgiving "off", and eat whatever I want that day. Our traditional stuffing and gravy, mashed potatoes and gravy, pumpkin & pecan pies, cranberry relish, with the turkey. I just have to do that on holidays and special days............. or I feel too deprived!:( But I'm learning that I can do that, and get back on track the next day or two, a big accomplishment for me. I cook Thanksgiving dinner, and it's my favorite meal of the year. I will just try extra-hard the week before to keep my calories low, and try to get some kind of exercise EVERY DAY that week! Now....... that's what works for me! Everyone knows what works best for them. Guess I'm just a little piggie!:lol: The good thing is....... I can't eat all that much anymore without getting WAY TOO FULL for comfort, so that helps!!!:o

Den@
11-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!
Sorry I haven't calculated the new chart this morning, but I'm running late.

Kancice, if you want to do the honors of changing the chart, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll come back later on to do it. :)

Have a great day, everyone!! And Keep on doing your best. :coffee:

Our group is totally hot!
(Hugs),

Den@
11-10-2004, 02:25 PM
OK, I'm back. :)

Here's our success so far:

DewCan (Goal: 14 lbs.) 3 lbs. lost
KandaceA (Goal: 8 lbs.) 3 1/2 lost and 4.812 lbs. of body fat lost
Florafae (Goal: 20 lbs.) 4 lbs. lost
Dena (Goal: 10 lbs.) 2 1/2 lbs. lost
tobaccygirl (Goal: 8 lbs.) 1 lb. lost
Rollmdl (Goal: 15 lbs.) 2 lbs. lost
Skinny B (Goal: 10 lbs.)
Krista (Goal: (20 lbs.)
Miss Meliss (Goal: 25 lbs.)
Sharqueen (Goal: 25 lbs.)

I hope I didn't make any mistakes. :)

Good luck, everyone!
(Hugs),

skinny_butt
11-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! :flow2: I've been reading over the previous posts in an effort to get to know everyone but be patient w/me. It sounds like everyone is doing well and is very motivated to get healthy. Dena-thanks for starting this challenge. I think it's just what I needed to keep my focus.

Things here are good. Eating is going well, although I did split a dessert w/a coworker at lunch-time today. I don't get cravings that much but I was really wanting something sweet. As a matter of fact, I rather shocked my friend when I ask her to split a dessert w/me. She said, what-you never eat dessert! It was very good and 1/2 the calories! :D

I walked for 30 minutes this morning and that's probably all I'll get today. I'm pretty active at our church and Weds. are a busy evening for us. But, 30 minutes is better than nothing! I will definitely walk in the morning and hit the Y tomorrow.

FLorafee-do you feel "naked" w/o your glasses? I have worn glasses since kindergarten and I'm not sure I could funtion w/o them! :) I have considered lasik, though. Maybe in a couple of years; we'll see. Glad it has gone well for you.

Kandice-congrats on the smaller pants! I'm wearing a pantsuit right now that's two sizes smaller than what I was wearing last year. It does feel great doesn't it? Keep up the good work!

Bonnie-are you starting the ready to be fit program at the Y? That's what I'm doing right now and I love it! The folks who work at the Y are really good at making you feel comfortable, aren't they! you're doing excellent w/your challenge! Way to go.

Dean-you're are doing great as well. You ladies surely know how to motivate, don't you? The motto for this thread must be "lead by example!" Glad to be a part of it!

I will be going to my sister's house for Thanksgiving. We are preparing dinner together so I'm looking forward to that. We're fixing WW variations on traditional foods and tradition recipes as well. I'll just eat less of the traditional foods and leave them for others. On my WW plan, I get 26 points a day and 35 flexpoints a week. I have already planned out a 27 point menu so I won't have to use that many points, I'll get to eat what I want and enjoy my time w/my family. It's a win/win situation! :)

Well, ladies-gotta run! Have a great health day! Be kind to yourself!

Den@
11-10-2004, 07:41 PM
I just realized I didn't post what I did today. So here goes~~

I just came back from the gym.... another hour on the treadmill :tread: Plus I managed to get in my 30 minute walk this morning, late and all. I plan on walking after dinner with my hubby.

Today:
Breakfast:egg, toast and butter - 4 pts.
Lunch: soup, crackers, yogurt = 8 pts.
Dinner: Frittata (vegetable, eggs, cheese, olive oil)-8 pts, green beans -0, sm banana-1 pt.
Total: 21 pts.

Skinny, congrats to you on splitting that dessert with your co-worker and managing to get in your 30 minute walk -- in spite of you having a busy day!! :bravo: We will get to our goals.

Let's all keep up the great work!
(Hugs),

KandiceS
11-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Morning everyone!
didn't exercise yesterday- had some work to get done through my lunch break and then I worked till 6 and I was way too tired. but I did stay on the my meal plan and according to my scale- which is probably more tempermental than dena's, I lost another 2 lbs. I don't want to quit but I think it's coming off too "easy". I mean, I workout 4-5x a week for 30 minutes and the rest is just cutting back the carbs. I don't know if I should start increasing my food (I eat 40-60 carbs a day) to slow it down. I want to do it the right way and for it to stay off. 15 lbs in 5 weeks though- that's averaging 3 lbs a week.... I don't know- any suggestions?

yes- congrats skinnybutt on sharing the dessert. You really will be a skinnybutt! :)I "shared" icecream with FI last night- he had a big bowl full and I resisted and resisted and then he had 1 bite left and I asked him for it. so I only had 1 tsp of icecream- but it was worth it!

Happy Thursday!

deleted
11-11-2004, 10:31 AM
:coffee: Good morning ladies,

How are you all? Skinny Butt, I don't know what the program I'm doing at the Y is called. I just know it's a beginner's program on the weight machines, with a few additions to that program so that it's a full-body workout. I will do that three times a week. Then I'm also doing water aerobics there three times a week, at least. And I'm going to try to walk outside a good three days a week, if my knees can do it all!:^: Actually, I worked out on the weights Tuesday night, and then went through it again yesterday afternoon to make sure of what I was doing, while it was all fresh in my mind. Then I will work out with them again Saturday, etc. Right now, my left elbow is tweaking a little from yesterday..............:( ......... but am hoping it will pass. I am OLD, after all!:D Sounds like most of you are dedicated to your exercise, and I think that's a BIG key to revamping our bodies and lifestyles. I really enjoy it after not exercising most of my life!:o

I managed to keep my calories at 1400 yesterday AGAIN, and had TWO pieces of fruit, the one glass of wine (just enough to be good for you!) So am happy about that. Yesterday, two meals were Lean Cuisines, and I don't like to do that. They're really good, but I think they do have a lot of salt and preservatives (to make them more flavorful), and that holds water weight, and your scale doesn't drop as quickly as when you eat "natural", made-from-scratch meals.

Dena, thanks for doing the chart for us. Maybe by this time next week, I'll show a little more off. I've been walking, water aerobic-ing, and now the weights for over 4- 1/2 months now, so I'm hoping I've got a little bit more muscle weight in there now!:p

Have a great day, everyone! You're all an inspiration........ :grouphug:

:cheer: for us all!

Den@
11-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!

Well here I sit with my morning coffee :coffee: and the first thing I read is that Kandice is thinking of quitting. What?!

Kandice, here is my opinion and personal experience~~ When you first start losing weight, it tends to come off rather quickly. It's average to lose 1-2 lbs. a week, if you're doing it right. I've been on a few different diets, (Atkins, where I regained the weight just as fast when I started eating normally again), counted cals and lately WW. I need variety. :lol: I lost 45 lbs a couple of years ago. The first 26 came off quickly, then things started slowing down. I even exercised quite a bit more than now. Weight training, too. I got a lot of compliments and also felt jealousy from my friends. Then life got in the way, and somehow I regained 10 lbs. This time it is not coming off as easily. I'm determined to look good again. It's funny.... when you are losing you feel great. When it comes back on, it's not such a good feeling. And those cute clothes in the closet just hanging there make you feel worse. So I say get to your goal no matter what. Just keep going, because once you stop it's harder to get your momentum going.
If you feel you should raise your carbs do so, but get to your goal. Nothing is carved in stone that you need to follow one plan. Good luck, Kandice! Remember, you want to look great in your wedding dress. :)

Bonnie, congrats to you for eating only 1400 cals. I do agree with you that TV dinners do have lots of preservatives. I never used to worry about that until I started reading about nutrition, and how there are so many preservatives and additives in frozen dinners, fast foods and most processed foods. I've read that fast food places add something in their foods that makes you hungrier. That's why people are getting heavier.

Bonnie, I am totally impressed with your weight training, water aerobics and walking routine! Speaking of which, I better get out there and start my exercise for the day.

Have a great day, everyone!
(Hugs),

Florafae
11-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Hello everyone,

SkinnyB. Yes, I feel VERY naked without my glasses. I am constantly reaching up to adjust them, only they arenít there any more. People keep giving me the strangest looks, because I appear to be saluting them. I guess itís a variation of the phantom limb phenomenon. I donít know how long it will take for me to get used to my glasses-less face in the mirror. I look very different. And that, I suppose, is the only downside Iíve discovered so far to my Lasik surgery. Now, I can see all my wrinkles!

Kandice. Whatever weight-loss pace you decide is most comfortable for you, the important thing is to stick to a healthy diet plan and keep aiming for you goal. For what itís worth, my experience is very similar to Denaís. I lost a lot of weight about two years ago, and the first couple of months the pounds came off quickly and easily (about 23 pounds). Then I hit the proverbial plateau and things slowed down considerably.

Bonnie. Good for you for keeping your calorie count to 1400 calories. I find that I have to keep a running tally of everything I eat and write it down in a little notebook. Calories seem to add up so quickly, and if I wait until the end of the day to do the math, Iím often over my target.

The best to all of you!
Florafae

deleted
11-11-2004, 06:20 PM
Kandance, I meant to say, above, that as long as you feel healthy and comfortable, don't worry about the pace your weight comes off right now. Enjoy it falling off while you can, because that phase comes to a crawl all too soon!:( Believe me, I am THERE!!! Best of luck to you, Kandance. I think you're doing wonderfully!!! :balloons:

kristaf
11-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks to everyone for including me in the group.

I did have a nice relaxing day, since it is a stat holiday here in Canada. So I managed to get out and go for a hike. It was a little bit chilly out, but I bundled up and faced the cold temps :)

Still debating on whether or not I have the patience to listen to Mari Windsor this evening...only time will tell.

-Krista

Shelbi99
11-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Sign me up!! I hope to be at my goal weight by Christmas. I'm thinking of getting my Thyroid levels checked - it seems I have some of the symptoms of problems. Wish me luck!

KandiceS
11-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone- when I said I was thinking of quitting- it wasn’t quitting quitting- just upping my carbs to slow the weight loss down. I have never dieted before so I didn’t know if the rapid weight loss was normal or not. It seems to be coming off too easy. I know people who have tried and tried to lose weight and they say it’s so hard… but I don’t know the details either- maybe they were eating sensible meals but then binging at night in front of the TV. I guess the weight came on easy too- so it makes sense to come off easy. I can think back to all the Krispy Kremes, sweet tea, biscuits and gravy, that I’ve come to LOVE since moving to the south. Everyone wants to feed you too!

I’ve heard about plateaus, and sounds so stupid, but I want to know what one is – experience it for myself. Almost all the women in my diet class have reached a plateau now, so the instructor is kinda teaching them what’s to be expected and all and I don’t have anything to compare it to.

BUT I’M NOT DONE! I gained 30 lbs from 3/03- 9/04 and I want to get back down to that AT LEAST before anything happens. 50 lbs is my goal though- so I can be at my “healthy” weight (and wear smaller, in style clothes) oh yeah, and look good in the wedding dress and more importantly on our honeymoon in the Bahamas.

So thank you- I’m sticking to it- I actually had a hamburger bun last night for the first time in 5 weeks (it was within my carbs still- I ended the night with 54) with my turkey burger and bacon and cheese. And you know what- I ate about Ĺ of the burger and I felt honestly full. I can definitely tell when I eat too much carbs (or a lot of them at the same time)

Worked out yesterday afternoon too….

So I have another question since you lost a lot of lbs before, did anyone notice that their stretch marks started “raising up” again? Did I ask this already? Like you know when I was fat, the skin was stretched and I didn’t really see the stretch marks even though I knew they were there…. But now, since I started losing inches my skin is shrinking back and the marks have kinda been coming together. It’s really gross. Anything to get rid of them?

Thanks to everyone again and congrats to everyone for their continued success- I wrote enough already…

Den@
11-12-2004, 10:41 AM
Yes, we made it to the end of the week! Woo Hoo! Now for the weekend~~Hubby and I may go out for Chinese again this weekend, so I have to plan around those calories.

This is how I did Yesterday:
Breakfast: oatmeal,v-8 juice=3 pts.
Snack: Cheese=2 pts.
Lunch: Yogurt, crackers=5 pts
Dinner: Frittata, mixed veggies & butter, low-fat cookie=13 pts.
Total: 23 pts.
Water: 10 glasses
Exercise: 30 minute brisk walk after breakfast, 48 minutes on the treadmill, 20 minute walk after dinner.

Florafae, you said you raised your activity level. What kinds of exercises do you do? I need more inspiration in that deprartment. By the way, I'm so happy for you that the Lasik surgery went well!

Bonnie, what exactly do you do at water aerobics? Sounds like fun. How is your weight training going?

Krista, glad you could join our Merry Christmas Challenge. What holiday was that yesterday in Canada? And good for you for getting out there and hiking in the cold!!

Shelby, welcome to our awesome little group! You'll get to that goal. What nutritional plan and exercises are you doing to get to your goal? And good luck at the doctor's office.

Kandice, so glad to hear you are not quitting, but eating a few more carbs. What diet class are you going to? What kinds of things are they teaching you. I could always learn better behaviors.

Well, everyone, I'm trying my best, but I took a sneak preview of how I did on the scale--and it only showed 1/2 lb. this week. What a disappointment. Kandice, this is what a plateau looks like. You work hard, and nothing! Believe me, you don't want to get there.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
(Hugs),

deleted
11-12-2004, 11:02 AM
:coffee: Good morning, all! Dena, just wanted to let you know that I will be away for a long weekend, and will not be back to weigh in until Tuesday so will update you on my progress, if any, by then. Talk about plateaus!!!:mad: I will have my laptop with me, but not my scale, of course.:) This is going to be very difficult... tomorrow, breakfast with my country-cookin' brother who will serve me a country ham biscuit, then dinner at my sister's in the mountains (I will have to show unbelievable restraint!:( :o) Then Sunday, a family dinner............ :dizzy: I will do well to maintain!!!:(

Dena, in water aerobics, we do a lot of walking, jogging, cross-country "skiing", jumping jacks, etc. Also arm exercises with barbells and noodles, and stretching exercises to warm up and cool down, all in the water. I have to do moderate versions of some of these things because of my knees and back tweaking me at times. Sometimes I do versions of everything in the deep (10') water on a noodle. I really love it.... doesn't feel like exercise! :D The weight training, I've just started, and I know I really need it.

Guys, have a wonderful weekend, and pray for my willpower!:^:

KandiceS
11-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Dena- Diet class is / was a 6 week challenge that we meet every Tuesday night to talk about our week. there's 8 women in it. It's sponsored by Curves. It will end next Tuesday the 16th (been going since the - the class.... been going since the 5th (october). It's just a chance to talk about what we've discovered with our diets- what things worked for us- a chance to share recipes, things like that. She does about 1/2 hour of lecture- like these are the things that should be happening to you now, gives us little poems to keep going, we read in our book about so many weight studies (the effects of calcium supplements, the effect of excercising and depression, osteoporosis, arthritis, things like that) and then the rest of the time we just talk and ask who's lost the most, what our biggest challenge was this week. Why we're doing this. Are we accomplishing what we set out to? Are we a stress eater or not- what things trigger us to eat- there's a different few topics every time.

about the depression and exercise- very interesting- they studied men, but still... 150 men, 50 in 3 groups. the first group was given Zoloft- or some kind of depression med only.
the second group was given the med and 30 minutes of exercise
and the third group was given exercise only

I don't know how long they studied them- I can find out- it's a case study from my book. but the meds only: their depression returned at a rate of 38%; group 2- the med and exercise- their depression returned at 31%; and exercise only, only 8% of their depression returned.

pretty neat.

Dena- I didn't up my carbs- I was going to- but I'm sticking to the 40-60 a day until I get to my goal weight. After all I'm 5 lbs from Christmas and then 10 more lbs to my wedding, and then 15 more lbs to my bday and then 10 lbs to goal... so I can do it! WE ALL CAN!! :)

Florafae
11-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Dena, Iím afraid my exercise regime is as dull as dull can be. I do brisk walking, and I use an exercise bike. Those are my two daily staples. I do a lot of gardening, which isnít aerobic, of course, but it does include considerable stooping, bending, stretching, and lifting.

I also make a conscious effort to get as much incidental exercise as possible, such as parking at the very far end of parking lots, using stairs instead of elevators/escalators (as my knees allow), and doing silly things, such as occasionally standing up and marching in place during commercials when Iím watching TV. I know the incidentals donít sound like much, but every lit bit helps, and it beats being a slug. When I reach a weight where I feel comfortable wearing a swimming suit, Iím thinking of trying aqua aerobics.

Welcome, Shelbi. This is a wonderful group, and I guarantee youíll find lots of support and good will here. Good luck with your thyroid check-up.

May we all stay on goal through the weekend.
Florafae

Den@
11-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Hi Everyone!
Only 2 more days until weigh in day~~

This is how I did yesterday.
Breakfast: Egg, pear = 3 pts.
Snack: joice, cheese = 3 pts.
Lunch: chicken, spinach, pear = 5 pts.
Dinner: salmon with stuffing, zucchini in olive oil, asparagus, blueberries=10
Total: 21 pts.
Exercise: 30 minute walk in the morning, 30 minute walk at night. Didn't feel well at lunch time to go to the gym.

Florafae, I like your idea of getting up and marching during the commercials. I don't like to sit for long periods of time anyway. Tell us more about your garden. :)

Kandice, your class is a definite plus! I had no idea Curves offered somehting like that. The study about depression with pills vs. exercise was very interesting. I like learning about studies like this one. What were some of your other classes about?

Bonnie, good luck over the weekend! Man, breakfast with your coutry-cooking brother and a home cooked meal with your sister... just the thought of this is making me hungy! So how did it go? What part of the country is this? Your water aerobics sounds fabulous! Kudos to you for doing so many typies of exericse, Bonnie. That's amazing and inspiring. :)

OK, it's time to start my day. I can't wait to put up the Christmas decorations. I want to put up the lights outside, but I don't want to be the first one in the neighborhood. :lol: Maybe we'll do it this weekend, anyway. :lol:

Have a great weekend, everyone!
(Hugs),

kristaf
11-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks for letting me join Dena. It was Remembrance Day here in Canada...
Since I'm working all weekend, weird hours at that, I'm finding it difficult to get exercise in cause I am so exhusted when I get home. Anyone have any hints on what I should do?

Another thing, has anyone out there tried Windsor Pilates and actually seen results? Cause I'm thinking about purchasing those DVD's and I'd like to have some imput first.

Thanks! Time to hit the sack...
Krista

deleted
11-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Well, girls, here I am in the North Carolina mountains!:D Love it up here, although it's not good for my diet, to be here!:o

I'm afraid I don't win any awards for restraint, food-wise, today! My brother made biscuits from scratch............. so I had two ham biscuits, because I never get such a treat, as the way he does them, plus his homemade tomato juice. Heavenly!:) That was both my breakfast and my lunch. So I was then good until dinner when I had two glasses of wine, and a plate of pasta with my brother-in-law's wonderful homemade sausage/beef marinara sauce. Now I'm hungry again........... but that is it for the day. I know I've had about 1900 calories, which is bad, but way better than when I used to eat twice that much! I wish I could be perfect on these weekends......... but I never am.:(

The family dinner tomorrow will be roast pork, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and corn Southern-style and mixed berry cobbler, and there are fabulous Southern cooks at the stove. Lord, help me!!!:^: I will go work out in the pool late in the day probably, but I know I'll go over............. calorie-wise! Oh, well, Monday, my nose will go back to the grindstone again!!!

Florafae, whatever exercise works for you, right??? I LOVE to walk, and was doing two plus miles a day this summer, in the neighborhood, when my knees started talking back to me. So I switched to the water, and now doing the weights, trying to get muscles strong enough that I can walk again also.

Welcome to the new girls checking in!:) This is such a fun group, very inspiring, and motivating.

Dena, you crack me up about Christmas. I, too, love to get Christmas going early........ it's such a great season.

Catch you later, ladies! :cheer: for all of us!

Den@
11-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Happy Sunday, Everyone!

Well, I broke down and put up some of my Christmas decorations, and I'm so happy that I did. My house looks really great now... a lot of little Santa Clauses, red and white decor and a Nativity Scene. I even put up a small artificial tree until I get the real one closer to Christmas. I went to the library on Friday and got some Christmas CDs, so I started playing Christmas music. And hubby put out some Christmas lights on the shrubs. I'm ready for Christmas. :D

How is everyone doing? Only one day before weigh in.

Here's how I did yesterday~~ (Thanks for bearing with me while I write down my journey to weight loss. This helps me get to my goal.)
Breakfast: Egg with butter, small bran muffin = 5 pts.
Lunch: Hot and sour soup, egg roll, beef with mushooms, fortune cookie = 13 pts.
Dinner: Hot and sour soup, salmon, berries = 13 pts.
Total: 31 pts. - 8 exercise pts = 23 pts.
Exercise: 45 minute walk

Bonnie, your trip to the North Carolina Mountains sounded great. Kudos to you for eating as well as you did at your brother's house. The family dinner sounded wonderful, too. I know it's hard when everything smells and tastes so good, and when relatives put in a lot of effort to make a great meal for us. As you said, it's back to business come Monday. :)

Krista, sorry your schedule is so hectic these days... working two jobs and all. Is it possible for you to get up a few minutes earlier and do a few exercises then? Or can you do something between jobs? {I've always tried to walk during my lunch break.) I've never done pilates, so I'm not sure how long it would take and what the results would be. Good luck to you, Krista, whatever exercise you decide to do. :)

OK, time for me to get going. Have a great Sunday, everyone.
(Hugs),

Florafae
11-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Bonnie, my mouth watered just reading about your weekend experience and all those delicious dishes. Wow--talk about temptation. How does anyone in the South stay on a diet?

Dena, please donít apologize for listing your food diary. It gives me lots of good ideas, and I find it very helpful. Iíll read it and say, ďOh yeah, I havenít had any salmon in a while. I should put that on my shopping list.Ē

As to my garden, I call it my Enchanted Faerie Garden. Itís filled with flowers, herbs, birds, bees, and secret little places. Thereís even a barrel full of fish and beautiful fountain that my husband bought me for my birthday. I planted the garden myself a little over a year ago, and I absolutely love it. No matter how stressful the outside world may be, when I sit in my garden sipping tea and listening to the fountain and the birds, I find peace.

Regarding Christmas decorations, Iíll put mine up the Saturday afterThanksgiving. Iím afraid I can only handle one holiday at a time.

Iíll be checking in tomorrow. Good luck to everyone.
Florafae

KandiceS
11-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Bonnie- I live in the NC mtns too! well, foothills, but not as far as winston or anything.
and yes, I know too familiar with the country ham biscuits and biscuits and gravy and sweet tea... ahhhhh

Not a lot of time to write but I'll be checking in!

Den@
11-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Only 5 1/2 weeks until the end of our Merry Christmas Challenge. Anyone wanting to either lose a little and/or not gain over the holidays is welcome to join us.

That said, I'll be the first to post my loss this week - 1/2 lb. I know I ate healthier and have been exercising more than before, so I'm proud of me. (Maybe it's time to eat less carbs.) :)

OK, how did everyone else do? I'll put up the chart on Wednesday after the losees are reported. Good luck, everyone.

Yesterday's journal~~
Breakfast: small bran muffin, egg with butter = 5 pts.
Lunch: Caesar salad, small piece of bread, small pat of butter = 12 pts.
Dinner: Eggplant, berries + 5 pts.
Total: 22 pts.
Exercise: 45 minute walk

Florafae, your Enchanted Faerie Garden sounds beautiful and peaceful. I can just picture it... colorful flowers, birds, a fountain. What kind of birds come into your garden? What a great way to release stress and get away from the rest of the world. :)

Time for my morning walk.
(Hugs),

skinny_butt
11-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Sounds like everyone is doing well. Kudos to everyone! ;)

Florafee-I agree. Your garden does indeed sound enchanting. One of my favorite places to visit is Cheekwood Gardens just outside Nashville, TN-which is a couple hours from my home. It used to be the estate of the family who started the Folger's coffee co. It has all kinds of gardens and exhibits year round. Last time I went, there was a tree-house competition and it was awesome how creative some folks were.

Bonnie-Being a southerner and being raised by southerners, I know how good the cooking is and how hard it can be to resist sometimes. But sounds like you intend to get back to business today so don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes, you just gotta eat. :D

My Christmas decorations will go up after Thanksgiving. Like Flora-I can only handle one holiday at a time! That was always the rule in my childhood as well-no Christmas anything until the day after Thanksgiving. However, I'm certainly ready for it by then!

Krista-I do a 30 minute pilate tape in the mornings sometimes. Haven't recently as a wayward child has returned home for a while and is sleeping in my exercise studio-my living room! I walk in the mornings now instead. Anyway, I bought a tape called Pilates for dummies and it's very good. It explains basic terms and positions before exercise and explains every exercise before you begin. I love my pilates! I can really tell a difference. It just helps to shape and mold you. When I first started, I couldn't do all the exercises. Now, I finally can do them all! Hope this helps. :)

Dena-Congrats on your .5! Way to go! :dancer:

No exercise yesterday and I honestly couldn't tell you exactly what I ate but I didn't overdo and feel comfortable w/yesterday's choices. I guess, if you count all the running I did during our youth fundraiser yesterday-I exercised after all! :D I will go to the Y tonight for 35 minutes cardio and 25 minutes weights.

I did weigh in yesterday and I'm down another pound! Woo-hoo! Wasn't really expecting a whole pound after last weeks two pounds but there it was or rather there it wasn't! Feeling good about meeting my challenge!

Well, ladies-gotta run. Everyone hang in there. Make good choices and be kind to yourself. We can do it! :cheer: :cheer:

KandiceS
11-15-2004, 02:45 PM
congrats Dena for another 1/2 lb
and skinny butt- 1 lb

good job girls! I'm nervous to see my weight tomorrow- it's gone down maybe a couple lbs but I ate and ate this weekend and then today was a woman's bday at work so we had choc icecream pie- which I had a small piece and then we went out to lunch- I had a grilled chicken salad and water, and a little bit of ranch dressing.
supper tonight is porkchops and greenbeans so at least it'll all even out.

Florafae
11-15-2004, 03:27 PM
Everyoneís postings always look so colorful, so Iíve made the leap and added an avatar. Itís a photo of some of the snapdragons in my garden. This picture was taken when they were in their prime--about three feet tall and truly spectacular. Now, they are faded, but the memory of their beauty remains.

I made my goal this week and lost 3 lbs. Hurray! Iím still riding the just-started-the diet-and-the-losing-is-easy bandwagon. Iíll ride it as far as I can. Given my daily calorie-intake, I realize a lot of this must still be fluid loss, but Iíll take it anyway. I have a long way to go before I reach a healthy weight. The Merry Christmas challenge is the first stage of the journey.

My goal for the coming week is 2 lbs. I know I wonít lose much the week of Thanksgiving, but I can still make my Merry Christmas goal, or at least get within shouting distance, if I stay on course.

Congratulations on your .5 loss, Dena. :balloons: I imagine you are adding muscle with all the exercising you are doing, and that you are showing progress in inches lost, as well.

SkinnyB, way to go! :dancer: You are one pound closer to your goal. Iíve never been to Nashville, but if I ever pass that way, Iíll be sure and visit the Cheekwood Gardens. It sounds like a wonderful place.

May we all have a good week.
Florafae

KandiceS
11-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Congrats Flora!

Shelbi99
11-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi all....I did pretty good eating this weekend but the scale is mocking me!! 158 - up three pounds? How can that be? I don't feel fatter than I did last week. And I can usually feel even two or three pounds. I'm not sure what the protocol on posting weights (what day? I thought it was Monday) but I hope it's just a bad water retention day or something and tomorrow will be better. I'll post it again tomorrow and hopefully it will be less and you can use that for my weigh in! LOL....

Sounds like you are all doing good - here's to a losing week!!

kristaf
11-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Congrats to everyone! :)

I'm down by 1lb. Down too 196 now...

I'm actually doing Windsor Pilates and walking as much as I can. I find it harder to fit in the pilates as I work crazy hours and still going to university as well.

Next week will be better...aiming for 2 lbs!

Krista

KandiceS
11-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Shelbi- don't worry about it- there's all kinds of things that can/ will affect it.

Krista- nice job for the 1 lb- I don't know your starting weight- but doesn't it feel great to be under 200?!

I'm dreading today- by my home scale I should have lost 2 lbs, but I started AF this morning too so I'm having really bad salt and choc cravings today. (I don't have any at the office- so that's good) I'll post it later on today.

deleted
11-16-2004, 09:41 AM
:flow2: :dance: :flow2: :dance: :flow2: :dance: :flow2: :dance: :flow2: :dance:

Two and a half pounds off this past week!!!!!!!! :o :dizzy: :p :D

I have now lost a total of 26 pounds since June 22. Very happy here, ladies, especially since my weekend in the mountains!:^: At 5' 10", I started at 234 lbs., now down to 208......... THANK YOU to the GODS!!!!:)

Congratulations on those pounds off, Dena, Florafae, Krista and SkinnyButt! :balloons: I am so proud of all of you. And for those whose scale is still holding, it WILL drop. My weight will hold and hold, seemingly, no matter what........... for two to three weeks.:( Then .... BOOM! ... I'll drop! So don't be discouraged! :gouphug:

Kandance, I was born in the foothills over there, in Elkin. Where are you from?:) And, Florafae, I want to come sip tea in your garden.....:p

Dena, thank you again for starting this challenge. It is really helping me, to be able to chat with all of you. Now I have 5 weeks, minus Thanksgiving Day, to lose week before December 22. I said, when I signed in here, that I wanted to lose eight. I have lost three........ I WILL take off another pound a week, maybe more!!!:^: For all of us: you GO, girls! :cheer:

deleted
11-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Sorry, ladies !!! I didn't mean "gouphug"....:lol: I meant :grouphug:

And Kandace, I don't know why I keep typing "Kandance"........:D Sorry!

And, of course, when I say I wanted to lose 8 lbs., I meant BY DECEMBER 22. I have way MORE to lose, come the first of January..............:)

KandiceS
11-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Bonnie! too funny! I live in Jonesville- next town over! (actually in the old Arlington district- right outside the Jonesville city line on 21) I work at Chatham in Elkin though and Chris used to manage the Habitat Home shoppe in Elkin for a while.

I am from southern Maine- the second largest city- and moved to central Maine for college and then northern Maine for my job (Chatham's parent company "Interface Fabrics"). My parents kept laughing that I was just going north and north and I'd end up in Canada some day. until Nov 2002- when I accepted a transfer to Chatham. I've lived here since March 2003. Love it! First time in my life I've lived out of state.

Chris' family lives all over- but mostly in Sparta and Independence (VA)- and then he's got some in Lexington too.

and it's ok- but it's Kandice- with an "i". I've gotten every spelling though- you should hear how I've had my last name butchered!

wow- 26 lbs so far! that would be half to my goal weight! I told Krista the 100s feel geat- you're right there Bonnie!

deleted
11-16-2004, 10:20 AM
So sorry, Kandice!!!!!!!!!:D I just keep on butchering your name!!!:o So you are from New England........ my son lives in Mass., and we were in Maine eating lobster with him this past summer, near Kennebunkport.

My Mom lived in Arlington/Jonesville for awhile. Small world, isn't it? I grew up in Yadkin County, moved away in my teens but I still have tons of family over there, and my Mom is in a nursing home in Elkin. My sister lives in Roaring Gap, just a hop away from Sparta! :)

Actually, girls, I think I meant to say I'd lost THREE :dance: pounds this past week, not 2 - 1/2. How did I manage that??? Whatever......... it feels good. I will do my weights with a light heart today!:)

KandiceS
11-16-2004, 02:26 PM
2.5 lbs for me this week. (1.19 lbs of body fat) Not as bad as I thought!

2.5 more lbs to the Christmas challenge goal for me! I may have to start on my wedding day goal after I meet the Christmas challenge- I honestly didn't think it would come off this easy at all. (hope maintaining is this easy!) :D

YAY US! :high:

KandiceS
11-16-2004, 02:37 PM
oh Bonnie- forgot to answer- Kennebunkport isn't too far from where I grew up- about an hour or so. yes, lobsters... my stepmom's family growing up was too poor she said to ever have lobsters and when she "made it" (she's an ER RN- been there 30+ years) she told herself that she would treat her family to lobster at least once a year. when my dad married her I was 6 (so 18 years ago) we've had a lobster feed every July 4th and then the extra lobster we shuck out that night and freeze it for Christmas eve. Every Christmas eve (for 18 years) we've had lobster stew (lobster, milk, and butter) after we get back from Church and then we open 1 present. This will be my first christmas that I won't have it :( since we're staying down here for Christmas (we're going up the week after)

I went up to Maine on business one time and brought back the boys some lobsters- 4 of them- 2 for me and 1 for each of them (expensive because they were hard shelled that time and the packing live lobsters to travel too)
and they didn't like them!! I ate one and they picked at their's so I made some lobster salad with some of the meat and they ate that.

so I guess we have to start creating our own traditions- this will be our second christmas together....

Shelbi99
11-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Hello Girls! Wow, you're making me cold just thinking about being in the Northeast - I'm in TX and it's 66 here today. I grew up in MO and had plenty of cold - guess I'm just the sun, sand and surf type. I do miss the beauty of the snow though!

Well, back to 156 today so those 2 nasty pounds have left. And I am on track and motivated to only go down. Congrats on your weight losses and to Kandice - maintaining will not be easy but shouldn't be too difficult. I've found that I cannot just eat whatever I want all the time but a treat here and there helps satisfy. It seems when I turned 30, everything changed. I have to watch every bite. Once you accept that, it's not too hard. I used to weigh 173 at my highest. I remember losing 5 pounds and thinking "wow, I look good" but I was still 165 at 5'4"!!! LOL!!

KandiceS
11-16-2004, 03:42 PM
oh I know maintaining won't be easy- shouldn't be too hard though- I was eating whatever- and I mean WHATEVER I wanted for the first 4 months of exercising and gained .75 lb in those 4 months. I'm counting carbs now- but have slowly been stopping to write it down and just to make a calculation in my head for the day- still staying between 40-60.

is it just me- or do sweets taste more sweeter(almost to the point of TOO sweet), breads fill you up faster... they do me! we had turkey burgers and I figured I could have 1 bun in my total for the day- I ate about 1/2 the burger and bun and had to just eat the burger- the bread filled me up and I didn't want any more. Anyone else?

congrats shelbi for losing that 2 lbs!

skinny_butt
11-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Hope today finds you w/great health and healthy choices. Things here are good. Went to the Y last night; 35 cardio and 25 weights. Walked for 35 minutes this morning. It was 43 here this morning so I was motivated to keep moving! Plan on going to the Y again tonight for 30-45 cardio.

Eating has been going well. Had chili last night for dinner. Of course, you can't have chili w/o crackers, cheese and peanut butter sandwich! So, I had it all. I stayed w/in my WW points though so no harm, no foul. Tonight LF chicken casserole w/corn and broccoli.

Shelbi-glad to hear your two pounds are gone. Keep hanging in there. Sometimes I go up or maintain for 2-3 weeks at a time and then, as someone else said, bam-2-3 pounds gone. You sound like you're doing great, though so be encouraged. :)

Maine-The farthest north I've been is Toledo, OH-I have family there. I have been to a lot of the southern states, California and Nevada but haven't made it north yet. Hope to visit NY, Mass and Maine sometime in my life. Actually, I'd like to visit all the states at least once. Oops, forgot that I've been to Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois! No offense to anyone but it was a short, unpleasant trip (MIL funeral) so I probably blocked it out of my mind! I liked those states, though. Just didn't get to see much. Anyway.....

Kandice-I agree; sweets are sweeter and breads are more filling. For me, it's b/c I'm actually thinking about what I'm eating. Plus, when you're not used to eating it very often, it doesn't take much to satisfy like it used to. So, I guess less really is more! :D

snow :^: We are anxiously awaiting snow here in KY but probably won't get it here in my part of the state until late December/early Jan. We're almost as far south as you can get and still be in KY. We love snow here, though. We go sledding, make snow angels and snow cream. Yum! That's even on my diet! :D Where I grew up in Ohio, (Christiansburg) we had snow all the time. Started in early December and went right up through April sometimes. And we NEVER missed school! The joke used to be that our super had a 10 foot high mailbox and if he could see it, we went to school. One time in the six school years I was there, we missed 2 weeks but that's all I can remember. It shocked me that in KY, it snows 1/2 an inch and the county schools are dismissed! Of course, the roads here are a lot twistier so I guess I can't blame them. My girls go to the city schools so they hardly ever miss. Oh, there's always a run on the grocery stores here when snow is predicted-must buy more milk and bread, you know! :lol:

Keep up the good work, ladies! As Kandice stated eariler, YAY US! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Den@
11-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Wow, this thread is really jumping! :D Everyone did a great job this week! I'm so proud of everybody! I'm a little behind the eight ball today. Yesterday I stayed home pretty much all day waiting for the cable guy. :mad: What a drag that was! I decided after a year and a half of moving here to fabulous Las Vegas (from southern CA), it was time for cable. :lol: (Shelbi, it's sunny here, too, today. I love it!) :cool:

Oh, I digress~~I was watching like 3 channels before that, and felt like I was missing out on everything. (I was hoping to become more intelligent without t.v,. but that never happened.) :lol: Anyhoo~~the first cable guy came and left. Then the cable went out. I had to wait for a second guy. What a fiasco! Was it worth it?! I do get like a thousand channels now, and I'm overwhelmed by it all. Today I have to make up for not doing much yesterday.

Talk to you all soon. Keep up the great work!
(Hugs),

grandma57
11-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Hello tobaccygirl {Bonnie} found you I think . well I am still hanging in but not droping but I have had two good days still trying to take off 10 lbs for Christmas if I keep it up I can still make it . well you are still doing good keep up the good work Jean

deleted
11-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Jean, I'm so glad to see you here. Why don't you post your info, and do this challenge with us here on Dena's thread???:) I was going to post on both this thread and our "Senior buddy" one, but the other girls on the "SB" thread have not been there much lately so it's a little lonely!:( The ladies on this thread have a fired-up Challenge going, and I find it very motivating! (Thank you, Dena and other ladies! :balloons: ) Jean, I hope you will join with us. We have over 10 weeks to lose pounds before Christmas........... Good luck, and hugs, Jean!:)

Den@
11-17-2004, 01:10 AM
I'm posting our successes tonight, as I have an early meeting tomorrow. If anyone wants to add to this chart, I'll change it later. :)

Jean, come join us. You'll be glad you did. :)

Here are our successes so far~~

Kandice (Goal 8 lbs.) 6 lbs. total
Florafae (Goal 20 lbs.) 7 lbs. total
Dena (Goal 10 lbs) 3 lbs. total
Bonnie (Goal 8 lbs) 4 lbs. total
Skinny (Goal 10 lbs.) 1 lb. total
Krista (Goal 20 lbs.) 1 lb. total
Shelbi (Goal 9 lbs.) maintained. :)
Dewcan (Goal 14 lbs.) 3 lbs. total
Rollmdl (Goal 15 lbs.) 2 lbs. total

Congratulations for all of your hard work, and good luck this week, everyone!
(Hugs),

Den@
11-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!
4 days until weigh in~~ How is eveyone doing 7 days before Turkey Day? I'm not sure about weigh in, but I'm so looking forward to Thanksgiving. :D

Since I see watching portions and counting points like a maniac didn't make a great difference in weight loss, I'm going back to portion control. Less couning, less stress. :)

As far as exercise, I'm dusting off my videos, so I can start using them again and I'm going to get back on my stationary bike. Maybe it's time for variety.
I have to do something different to lose some more weight. My body just seems to want to hang on to every ounce. :mad: Burn them cals. :)

OK, time to move~~
(Hugs),

deleted
11-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Dena, technically, I've lost 3 - 1/2 pounds (not four) since signing on to your challenge three weeks ago, but that's close enough! I'll take it!:D I had lost 22 - 1/2 when I started with you, have lost 26 now. Gosh, I hope that figure is a couple of pounds less by Monday when we weigh in.:^: So that means I have 4 -1/2 lbs. to lose by December 22, when I relax a bit for the holidays. That's about 33 days, or 4 weeks and 5 days, to do it. YES!!!:p I CAN do it!!!

This week, I worked out at Water Aerobics on Monday night, walked over a mile in the neighborhood yesterday and worked out with weights last night, and am on my way to do Water Aerobics again tonight. Tomorrow I will work out with weights again and do another walk, then do Water Aerobics again Saturday. Sunday, I will take off, except for maybe another walk. :dizzy: I am determined to burn up some calories.............. :)

For us all, girls! :dance: We can do it!........... :cheer:

grandma57
11-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Hello to all hope every one is doing ok well I am trying for 10 lbs by Christmas I am at 178 now so I will try hard just cant seam to get with it I walk or try to walk every day I have L.S walking tape which I do every morning and waked out side for 2miles to day I will work hard thanks for the up lift I can use all the help I can get Jean

KandiceS
11-19-2004, 09:58 AM
Yeah, same with me dena- technically I've lost 5.5 since starting the challenge- not 6. but maybe it's a good sign for next week. I've been weighing at home and stuck on this (183 naked on home scale) all week.

grandma- thanks for joining us! welcome!

Curves made me feel good yesterday. the owners were in because we got a new piece of equipment and the woman owner that signed me up and did my first workout asked me how everything was going- she didn't recognize me. and asked me if I was seeing success- and I told her I had lost 17.5 lbs and 28.5 inches so far, and she said "kim (the manager) was telling me about you- keep up the good work!" and then when we started talking- carrie another trainer told her we were getting married at the same place but I was marrying in March. and the owner said, oh, ok, it's coming back to me. because we had to list 5 reasons for losing weight (when I signed up)and I said my wedding was one of my reasons and the owner got married on March 4th- we're march 5th.... but anyways, it's nice to be recognized- not just by myself or Chris or even family members who "have" to tell you you look good. but from an outside person.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Den@
11-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Sorry I've been a little remiss lately, but I've been busy, busy, busy. I had another early meeting this morning. :mad:

Last night I not only walked around the neighborhood in the chilly air, but also danced to music on TV for an hour. I'm still getting my exercise in somehow. I've been a little stressed lately, and it seems when I'm stressed I don't do as well with my eating habits. So I'm determined to get back on track. (I think I was a little disappointed for not losing much weight - and working hard at it last week- that I became a lttle lenient with myself this week. I promise to do better. I feel better when I eat right, exercsie and drink my water.

Bonnie, thanks for always saying nice things... like thanking me for starting this challenge. You really make my day! :)

Jean, welcome!!! I love it that you do LS Walking tapes and walk 2 miles a day! Keep up the great work. :)

Kandice, I think that is so great that the woman owner of Curves didn't recognize you at first, and gave you compliments. Woo Hoo!! You go, girl. :)

I hope everyone else is doing fine.
Let's keep at it.
(Hugs),

deleted
11-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Hey there ladies!:coffee: Happy weekend!

Hope you will all be back for weigh-in tomorrow, as the place has been a little quiet for a couple of days here. I am REALLY hoping for another pound off by tomorrow but I won't hold my breath! A woman's body is quite a mystery at times!:?::dizzy: :o So whether you see a drop or not, be sure to check-in and P*** and MOAN with the rest of us, right, Dena?:D

Wanted to say that I hope some of you will not get discouraged if your weight loss slows down after those initial couple of weeks, because that is so normal, (unless you absolutely starve yourself). Then you are very fortunate to lose 1 to 2 after that, and I only average 2 lbs. a week off if I'm being very, very strict and active. Normal loss for me is 1 lb. a week or so after the initial push, because my chosen calorie range is more like 1500 to 1800 per day. I lose more slowly, but I'm happy, and can splurge on what I really want to eat now and then. If I can get off another 4 to 6 lbs. by December 22, I will be a happy camper!:) Think about it.... 1 pound a week equals 52 pounds a year, and you've done it slowly, changed your eating habits, and it's more likely to "stick.":)

Off my soap box!!!:lol: Good luck to all of you............ :grouphug: I LOVE this challenge, Dena! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Den@
11-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!

Happy Sunday to you!

Well, I'm happy to say that I am back on track and feeling great. Just a little glitch. But I got on the scale this morning and I remained the same, so I'm happy. (If it wasn't for this challenge, I probably would have regained the weight.) Now down to business. I want to look great for Christmas. My hubby has told me I look better, so I must be losing inches. (Florafae, you were right.) :D

Bonnie, thank you for being so supportive. I really needed to hear all of those movtivational and inspirational words. Thank you for understanding! That was just the little push I needed.

I hope everyone else is doing well. There's only 4 days until Thanksgiving. We want to look and feel great on that day. :D

Until Weigh in tomorrow~~~
(Hugs),

Florafae
11-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Iíve had a very stressful week, too, and I have strayed off course for a couple of days. I am back on track now, but I know I wonít see the results I wanted for this week.

Bonnie, you are so right. Thank you for reminding me that the important thing is not the rate at which weight is lost. What matters is to stay focused on the over-all goal and not get discouraged by small set backs, or slow results. I really needed to hear that this week.

Iíll be checking in tomorrow.
Florafae

hmodrow
11-21-2004, 08:31 PM
If it's not too late to join - I'll throw my hat in the ring for 10 pounds off my body by Christmas. That is almost 5 weeks. So 2 pounds per week sounds great to me!

KandiceS
11-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Wow! congrats hmodrow on the 129 lb loss! that's a whole (little) person! you must feel wonderful about yurself and your accomplishment so far!

thanks Bonnie for saying that- I get discouraged too- been at 183 (naked at home) all week and then finally 182 yesterday. I definitely want the weight to stay off once it finally comes off. (I had my engagement ring sized down and we bought our wedding bands on saturday and I had that sized down as well) I'll report tomorrow!

deleted
11-22-2004, 01:24 PM
:flow2::flow2::flow2::flow2: DRUM ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!

Lost two more pounds! :dance: So that's 5 - 1/2 pounds since I started the Challenge with you ladies! :o :D :smug: :p :) :dizzy: Okay, that leaves 2 - 1/2 pounds that I must lose, to meet my Challenge, by December 22. And it would be so nice if I could lose more than 8.........:)

Now we have Thanksgiving thrown into the mix, and I will be going to my sister's tomorrow through Friday morning.:( :^: :o That is the hardest place in the world to be, and lose weight, or even maintain. I allow myself Thanksgiving to eat what I want, but I REALLY need to keep myself in check the other days, and it's HARD!:mad:

Good luck to all you other ladies, and remember, if the scale didn't drop today, IT WILL!!! Sometimes I go for two to three weeks with no drop........ then BOOM! I'll lose two pounds....... :grouphug: to you all! Good weight-loss vibes to all of you! :cheer:

deleted
11-22-2004, 01:27 PM
:) I meant to add, HeatherM, a big welcome to you, and congratulations on your success. You're amazing.......... keep up the good work! :balloons: to you! Dena has done a good thing, setting up this Challenge. Having the support and friendship of others is such a motivating thing!:)

Den@
11-22-2004, 02:01 PM
Well, it's been rather chilly here in fabulous Las Vegas the last few days. You can even see the snow in the mountains all around us. I can't believe it. It is so beautiful. :) It really feels like the holidays.

Welcome hmodrow! Glad you could join us. Congratulations on your 129 lbs. lost!! Now that took a lot of work and determination. Kudos to you!!

As I mentioned, I maintained this week. So my total still remains at 3 lbs. lost, but my clothes fit better. I'm back on track and feel so much better for it. (I think the drastic change in weather was a shock. It's not as fun to walk outside.) So today I'll do my Richard Simmons tape and go to the gym later.

Bonnie, congrats to you for losing 2 more pounds!! You've really held us together this week with your inspiring words. Thanks again! :)

Kandice, how exciting! Getting ready for your wedding and buying wedding bands! Will it be a big or small wedding? Have you been looking at dresses? Details, we need details. :D (And congrats to you for losing another pound. Please add in you total at weigh in as I can't keep up. :lol: )

Florafae, good luck to you tomorrow. I think the holidays coming up have added to our stress. So let's be strong together. We can do this!

OK, everyone, time for me to get moving.
Talk to you later.
(Hugs),

grandma57
11-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Hello I promised myself not to come on here till I had a lb. off but just cant stay away I am staying the same but going to do more excerise I guess and try hard to eat right every one is doing good Bonnie I am going to make it even if I dont get the 10 lbs off right now I am only working on to lose something so you keep up the good work I know I will do ok I am from Canada so we had our Thanks giving holiday so take care ladies Jean

KandiceS
11-22-2004, 03:37 PM
dena- I posted here before with my wedding dress- let me find it again...

2 weddings- since I'm from Maine and Chris is from here (NC) so we either had to do it in the middle somewhere or have 2 for both families. so we chose 2. (ME and NC are over 1,000 miles apart- I drove down when I moved- it's actually closer to 1,100)

We're marrying on March 5, 2005 in NC, a smallish wedding 80 or so people- his family, our friends, and 9 of my immediate family members and my pledge sister from college sorority is flying down to be my Maid of Honor.

then on June 4th, 2005 we're going up to Maine and having the whole thing over again- another cake, more flowers, another photographer, more dancing- just no vows again. we're taping our wedding in March and they'll play it continously throughout cocktail hour (in June) on 2 big screen tvs on either side of the head table. it'll be all my side and Chris' mother and his best man and his family. (about 100 people for that one)

I'm wearing my dress twice because alot of my family won't be able to come down to see it and they want to see me dressed up- so june will be like we get married all over again! (and more presents!) :)

it's all coming together- 100 more days from Thanksgiving! (today it's 103 days away)

let me find my pic in my dress and post it- I love it! I got it altered a couple weeks ago- took in a lot on the sides- I go pick it up Dec 8th so I can get my bridals done sometime in January.

Story of my dress- I picked it out in the book as my favorite dress- but it was way out of my price range. I went home in February and took my bridesmaids to look at dresses and my dad and stepmom went too (my little sis is a bridesmaid). they asked if I wanted to try on dresses- so I said sure, and tried on 4 or 5 (in my price range) and then wanted to try on my dream picture dress just because, I came out and my parents were all teary eyed. that was the best dress! they said that was the one I looked the best in and that's the one I should get. I hemmed and hawed- alright, I'll put it on the credit card and pay it off (slowly), but my dad took out his credit card and paid for it for me! YAY DAD!

KandiceS
11-22-2004, 03:41 PM
and congrats Bonnie!

Yay Dena for maintaining!

KandiceS
11-22-2004, 03:54 PM
I need to link it somehow I guess- I posted the pics in Low Carb daily thread week of 10/10- 10/16

but this is the pic of the family in June 2003. My hair is a whole lot longer now and I'm trying to grow out my bangs- of just recently (2 weeks maybe?) and Christopher was 10 in that picture, he's almost 12 now and he's changed, he looks more "grownup" now.
Chris hasn't changed- maybe added some weight (he complains that what I take off he seems to gain) :lol:

(Christopher is a "II" after Chris, but to keep them separated, that's how we refer to them as, Chris and Christopher. Christopher (aka C2) prefers to be called Chris and all his friends call and ask for Chris- talk about confusing! I bet it'll be even more confusing once all of their voices start changing and they ask for Chris!)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19239

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19240

Florafae
11-22-2004, 06:40 PM
As I expected, my weight loss this week was minimal: .5 lbs. On the positive side, I didnít gain any weight, and Iím still moving in the right direction. Also, I was very aware of it when I strayed off course, which is a big improvement over blindly grabbing for comfort foods and indulging in ďunconscious eatingĒ.

Heather, welcome to the Merry Christmas Challenge!

Congratulations Bonnie. Two more pounds! Yes, the Thanksgiving temptations are already beginning. As I shopped for Thanksgiving dinner, I could feel the calories calling my name. My goal this week is to eat responsibly, responsibly, responsibly.

Kandice, I loved the picture and the stories about your up-coming wedding. What a good idea to have a dual celebration so that both sets of families and friends can feel included.

Good for you, Dena. Muscle weighs more than fat, so the best indicator of a diet regimeís success is how well your clothes are fitting, and not necessarily what shows up on the scales.

During this Thanksgiving week, one of the things I am very thankful for is our wonderful group. Thanks to all of you for your on-going support and encouragement.

The very best to everyone,
Florafae

Den@
11-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!

I feel great this morning! I'm back on track, eating right, exercising and drinking my water. And it feels great to be in control. No junk food or low-cal treats for me until I get a piece of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. I see just a little here and there makes me feel lousy. I'm better off just eating nutritional foods. Kandice, you were smart to stay off of carbohydrates!

Yesterday's menu:
Breakfast: bran muffin
Lunch: soup, protein bar
Dinner: salmon, mixed vegetables, pear
Exercise: Walked 30 minutes in the morning, 1 hour at lunch, 30 minutes after dinner.

What beautiful and very cold weather we're having... in the 40's and 50's! We were in the 90's a few months ago. I think my body is in shock. :lol: But I do love the winter season.

Hubby and I are planning on a couple of trips to Southern CA in December (where I am from), and I'm so looking forward to seeing my home state. I sometimes miss my Pacific ocean, golden sand and walks on the beach. Seems like a lot of Californias have moved to Las Vegas, where it is much more afordable to live these days. Actually, it's becoming little CA, with so many moving here. :lol:

Florafae, congratulations on losing .5 lbs.! Losing anything is impressive during the holidays. (What we're doing is something unheard of... trying to lose weight during the holidays.) Wow, are you now 7 1/2 lbs. lighter than when we first started this challenge? Again, congratulations to you!! :bravo:

Kandice, thank you for your picture and telling us all about your wedding plans and wedding dress. What a great picture of you and your family! What a nice story about your Dad and your dress and having two weddings. I'm just so happy for you!! :)

Jean, please come anytime. We love to hear from you. I know it's not easy to be perfect at this time of year, that's why it is so important that we support each other. We can make it through the holidays together! By the way, how is the weather in Canada these days? I'd love to know more about Canada.

OK, time to exercise!
(Hugs),

Shelbi99
11-23-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm so ashamed!!! I had a bad weekend - not many healthy food options on an out of town trip. But I'm not bummed!! I'll bounce right back! You guys give me such inspiration with your weight loss! Congrats everyone! And welcome to the newbies - this is a great thread. I apologize for not studying the posts enough to give personal answers - I promise to do better on that note. Here's to a losing week!

KandiceS
11-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Just wanted to brag for a minute and have everyone look at my *new* signature! :D

and for the first time (that I know of- definitely 1st time in 5 months) my BF% is below 30%. It's 29.9%

I didn't want to post yesterday- had a bad day- the sunday thanksgiving caught up with me and on my home scale I gained 3 lbs but this morning when I weighed it was gone- back to "normal" Got weighed at lunch time by Curves for my monthly. Gained .25 of an inch but I swear it's the rippling muscles :lol: 3 more inches lost on my thighs so that always makes me happy.

I'm going to work on my next goal- 175 by my wedding day. 20 lbs down- 30 more to go- almost 1/2 way there!

Den@
11-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!

I just came back from my brisk, morning walk and I feel great! I really enjoy being outdoors. It gives me more energy, and I love being out there in nature. Plus it is sunny out. So you get the cool air and sunshine. What a morning!

Yesterday I did great in my eating department as well.
Yesterday's success:
Breakfast: Bran muffin
Lunch: soup, pear
Dinner: Chicken, arichoke, blueberries
Exercise: 30 minute walk in morning, 30-45 minute walk in mall while looking for Christmas presents, 30 minute brisk walk after dinner.

Kandice, congrats to you for having a BF below 30%! :bravo: Keep up the great work. We are proud of you!!

Shelbi, this has been a hard week for all of us for some reason. You'll bounce back. I just know it. :) Good luck this week!!

Anyone else posting the results this week? Skinny, Krista?? OK, I'll be back to post our success later.

Till then~~
(Hugs),

Den@
11-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Here are our results since starting this challenge on 10/25/04. Tomorrow will be a month :)
(Please help me out here if I made any mistakes.)

Kandice - 5.25 lbs. lost
Florafae - 7.5 lbs. lost
Dena - 3 lbs. lost
Bonnie - 5.5 lbs. lost
Skinny - 1 lb lost
Krista - 1 lbs. lost
DewCan- 3 lbs. lost
Shelbi - maintained
Jean - maintained
hmodrow-

I hope I didn't forget anyone.

Super congratulations to all of you. This is usually the time people gain weight, not lose it. You guys rock!!! :bravo:

deleted
11-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Hey girls.... HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Have a blessed one!:)

Dena, thank you for charting our successes. We appreciate it very much. To you ... :balloons: You are such a GREAT cheerleader!:o :) :^:

Kandace, your pictures are beautiful. What a gorgeous dress... and you are pretty enough to be a Carolina girl now, for sure!:D

I have been in the mountains since Tuesday, and haven't eaten myself "sick" yet.:lol: I've been eating moderately, but not staying on my diet really, just hoping to maintain. This meal today is my favorite of the year.... turkey, dressing/stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, candied yams, sauerkraut, green beans and corn, pickled hot green beans and corn, corn casserole......... pumpkin pie, white chocolate-cherry bread pudding! Oh, Lord.......... what bliss!:dizzy: :smug: :p

Shelbi, you have nothing to be ashamed about. We all have those good days and bad; sometimes I go two to three weeks without dropping, and I know if I'd be truly stricter, I would lose faster. Some days we can do it, some days we can't! Just forget the "bad" days, and look ahead!:^: We're all here to support you, and wish you well.:)

To all of you ladies :grouphug:........ Have a really wonderful day! I say let's be thankful that we have all this delicious food and such a great country to enjoy it in, and not worry too much about calories today........... We'll be back on track tomorrow!:D And let's say a prayer for all our guys and girls in the military; I so appreciate all they do for us. Bless them!:)

Den@
11-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Here's wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving.

I did great yesterday. And today we go to a very nice restaurant at 1:00 pm. I'm so looking forward to dressing up and making this a special occasion. I'm so thankful to God for all the blessings he gave me this year, and thankful to have met you wonderful gals.

Bonnie, again, thank you for your kind words! I appreciate all of your tips and insight, as they keep me going. Have fun with all of your relatives. :)

Yesterday's menu:
Breakfast: Bran muffin
Lunch: Chicken, mushrooms, pear
Dinner: Salmon, mixed vegetable, berries
Snack: Berries
Exercise: Walked 30 minutes after breakfast, walked during lunch in mall (Christmas shopping) and walked after dinner.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, everyone!!
(Hugs).

KandiceS
11-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Dena- I got my Christmas goal this week (wednesday morning)- 8 lbs. (that's when I called everyone's attention to my new signature)

Hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving!

Got up super early this morning (4:30) and went shopping. I got Chris a leather jacket that was normal $200 for $129 and a pair of leather gloves for his stocking. and then I went shopping for myself. I'm sick of clothes that don't fit- all my clothes are so baggy- even my shirts and they don't show off the body that I'm working so hard to create. Didn't want to buy too much because I still want to lose 30 lbs but I need something in the meantime. So I bought a pair of 14 pants and a size 14 jean skirt and a few courdoroy (sp?) long sleeve shirts (size L) to wear over a shirt in the winter. (I wear jeans most the time and thanks to my college friend that lost a ton last year I have jeans from her from sizes 14 down to size 10. I was with her for most of the ones she bought- so I like them too :D)

I wrote my mom and asked her if she's been shopping yet- we both like JCPenneys and Sears- but it seems like courdoroy fabric is back in style now. Asked her if she remembered our fights on school mornings. I used to have tons of cord pants- all different colors and I hated them. Whenever she would pick them out for me in the morning we'd always have a fight because I didn't want to wear them. and I had a pair of pink capris growing up too that I hated- with little pink bow ties on them. I hated pink and I hated girly bowties. Now pink is one of my fav colors. :lol: poor mom!

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Den@
11-26-2004, 08:51 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, KANDICE! YOU DID IT! You made goal. :bravo::
I'm sure you look great in all of your new clothes. Woo Hoo!!

As for me, I had a grrrrreat Thanksgiving, went to Lawry's fine restaurant and had a wonderful Thanksgiving meal. The decorations in the restaurant were exquisite. Beautiful Christmas trees, lots of red and white decor and a lovely fire in the fireplace. Didn't do badly for Thanksgiving. Had turkey, salad, mashed potatoes, stuffing, bread, butter, yams and cranberry sause. But I didn't eat the all that was on my plate at lunch, and made me a nice dinner with the leftovers. Had a piece of pumpkin pie, too. :) Now turkey day is over and it is back to business.

I'm so proud of our little group. We did a great job before Thanksgiving. Now on to Christmas. :)

Have a relaxing weekend.
(Hugs),

deleted
11-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Kandance, :flow2: Way to go, girl! :flow2:

I'm so proud of you! Now you have reached your goal; whatever more you achieve before Christmas is "gravy" so to speak (appropriate for the holidays!:D ) Keep up the good work............. you're setting a good example! Hope you had a delicious Thanksgiving after reaching your goal!

Dena, sounds as though your Thanksgiving went just right. So glad you enjoyed the day!

I've sinned quite a bit the last two days, and hope I haven't done too much damage!:^:

Okay, ladies, about a month until Christmas! We can accomplish a lot in that time! :cheer:

deleted
11-26-2004, 11:30 PM
Kandice, I'm so sorry! I did it again.......... I don't know what it is about your name that unhinges my brain!!! ;-)

deleted
11-28-2004, 09:26 AM
:o Girls, I've been BAD!!! From Thanksgiving through yesterday (3 SINFUL days), my scale is UP FOUR POUNDS!!! Today is back to reality, and I know at least half is water weight from all the salt.........:mad:......... so maybe by tomorrow I will only be one or two pounds up, after I've been good today. But that's it, the party's over!!! I won't even begin to tell you what I ate, but most of the eating is due to family stress BUT I can't use that as an excuse!:(

Anyway, friends, I thought I'd just confess and get it over with!:lol: If anyone else has behaved similarly........ well, console yourself that it's the stress of the holidays ......... sometimes you just do it!:dizzy: Now we have to get back on that wagon!

Okay, about a month before Christmas........ lots of time for exercise and healthy eating! :grouphug: to all of you! Let's do it!:)

chocolots
11-28-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi,
I'm new. I started my weight loss journey 3 years ago after my last child was born. ( I have 3 children ..ages 16,15 and 3) A month after I had him I weighed 222. I went to the gym and managed to get down to 170 in a year. Over the next year my weight fluctuated between 180 and 160. Finally in my 3rd year my weight has fluctuated between 170 and 146. Yes...I got down to 146 and said WOOOHOO and then jumped back up to 165. The weight I currently am. I feel a great weight range for me would be 140-150 max.( I'm 5'5") I would love to be 150 by Christmas. I'm gonna have to hit it hard! Ultimately I would like to be 140 by Jan 31st for a cruise my dh and I will be taking! Hubba, Hubba! Also!! My 20th high school reunion will be this year! And I would OHHHHHHHHH SOOOOOOOOOO LOVE for everyone to speculate if I have had plastic surgery because I couldn't possibly look that Great after 3 kids and damned near 40! LOL! So...Please tell me what I need to do to join in because I'm ready for the challenge!!

Happy Holidays!
Janet 222/165/150Here they are.
http://chat.provida.com/forum/photo...ilter=chocolots
You can click on the pic for a better view of the destruction and construction. LOL!
I was 30 in the wedding photo

Janet
222/167/140-150

deleted
11-28-2004, 02:23 PM
:flow2: Hi Chocolots, I believe Dena's original Challenge was to make it through the holidays, losing weight rather than gaining, as we usually are inclined to do! You only need to state your goal (mine was to lose a certain amount by Dec. 22, then I'll ease up calorie-counting, just try to maintain, until January 2 when I will go back to strict dieting.) I think some others have a goal of dieting all the way through the holidays, losing all the way. Whatever you choose to do, we will all be here to support you. Welcome!:) Dena has done us all a great favor, starting this Challenge! :balloons: to Dena............

deleted
11-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Sorry, Chocolats, forgot to add: state your goal (i.e., 8 lbs. off by Jan. 1), and report your progress at weigh-in each Monday. (If I'm saying this wrong, Dena, please correct me! ;-) )

Den@
11-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!

Thank God the Thanksgiving holiday is about over. It's time to really get back to our pre-Thanksgiving program. :) I didn't do as badly as I have done in the years past, but somehow I got relaxed and lazy and didn't exercise as much these last few days. (Some walking in, but not a lot.) And I really feel the difference. It seems the less you do, the lazier you get. :lol: So today I'm going to get busy and get out there and start walking, so I have a head start for the week. I love being outside anyway. :)

Bonnie, thanks for sharing with us. This is a very hard and stressful time of the year. Like I said, our goal was to not gain over the holidays, and YOU DID JUST THAT!! You lost weight before Thanksgiving, which is very hard to do. :bravo: (Most people start gaining as soon as Halloween hits all through the New Year!) Thank you for being part of our Merry Christmas Challenge!

Janet, A big welcome to you! You've done a great job so far, and you can get to your goal by Christmas. What kind of health/exercise plan are you on? Let us know how you are doing. We are here to help each other. So glad you could join our group. (I tried looking at your picture, but it wouldn't come up for me.)

OK, time for me to get moving. I feel so much better when I do.
(Hugs),

deleted
11-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Girls, wanted to ask you a question. How do you calculate the weight you're hoping to get to? I know the traditional way is to *set* 100 pounds for your first five feet of height....... then five pounds per inch over that as in: a person who is 5' 7" tall should weight 100 pounds PLUS five pounds X 7" = 135 lbs. total. That would be 150 pounds for me, as I am 5' 10" tall. Don't know if I will ever get that low. Am shooting for it ... that would be another 56 pounds to go. But I think when I get to 170, that may be more realistic for my age, activities and interests! That would be another 36 to go.......... :dizzy: Oh, well, guess I'll wait and see how I look and feel at 170!:)

Hope you're all having a great weekend!

chocolots
11-28-2004, 04:23 PM
hi

chocolots
11-28-2004, 04:37 PM
hi,
I'm going to attempt to walk 1 hr per day at 3.5 mph and do some toning twice a week with weights. I'll be eating no more than 1600 calories a day (no less than 1200) eating every 3 hrs (protein with every meal). Trying to drink lots of water but I just don't get thirsty so I forget. I want to be 150 by Christmas and then 140 by 1/31. In order to make the first goal I'm gonna have to seriously hit it. No cheating. Because I'll have to lose 4.41 lbs a week. On the high side but do-able if I'm diligent. Got soooo much coming up this year that I want to be fine for (AKA :Cruise with DH, Mardi Gras Ball, 20th High School Reunion)so... NO PUTTING IT OFF ANYMORE!! Thanks for letting me into your group!

Janet
222/167/150 then 140

chocolots
11-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Try this:
http://chat.provida.com/forum/photosearch.asp?memfilter=chocolots

deleted
11-28-2004, 05:09 PM
No luck with your pictures, Janet, with either link! :-(

KandiceS
11-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Wow- I missed alot- thanks everyone -Got a lot left to go so working on the wedding goal now- head start on it. I'll weigh tomorrow and report back but I think I've stayed at 185.

Welcome Janet- this group is wonderful! thanks to Dena for setting it up! I love all the support- who knows after Christmas- we could start the March 5th challenge! (my wedding day) :lol:

Bonnie- I think that calculation is right. I'm 5'10" and I'm going for 155. I saw it somewhere like the healthy weight for 5'10 was between 130 and 170 so something like that and I just went right for the middle. I'm big boned anyways and "blessed" with the "Obie" curse- my great g-ma, g-ma, mom, and me all have HIPS! and they don't go away. My mom lost like 70 lbs a few years back now but shes still extremely pear shaped and the hips don't go away- so I have to be realistic too.

Check back later!

Den@
11-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!

I see some of our regulars from our little group are missing in action. :( So, to get us all going again, what if we forget our weigh-in this week and concentrate on getting healthy and back to our pre-Thanksgiving weightloss plan? The plan is to move, drink our water and eat healthy again. We can do that!!! :)

Kandice, a new challenge after this one is a great idea! Let's think of a special name for it. :)

Bonnie, I'm not sure about the calculation, but shoot for 170--like you said--then see how you look and feel. You are doing a great job!! :)

Janet, I still can't see your pictures, but thank you for trying. Congrats on drinking more water! I aim for at least 8 glasses a day, and I feel a lot better for it. Good luck to you! :)

OK, ladies, let's get busy this week! We can do this!! :)
(Hugs),

KandiceS
11-29-2004, 11:56 AM
good idea dena, for bonnie- shoot for 170 and see... I'm very happy with myself now at 185 for 5'10- after all it's 20 lbs lighter than what I was. but I know that in March 2003 I weighed 178 so I want to get to that. and then I remember that even then I wasn't honestly happy with myself or how my clothes fit.

I can truly say though the weight loss has increased my self esteem wonders. Like I'm accomplishing what I set out to do. I may weigh more- but I am happier. (I want to weigh less though and be happy still)

It has also done wonders for our relationship. before I felt like we were just going through the "married life" actions and not really living- just sitting together on the couch getting fatter. I'm more confident and it helps us alot to be able to get out and do things.

name for the next challenge... hummm... "weight wilting away for the wedding!" :lol: other suggestions? "I do... say goodbye to the extra weight!"

deleted
11-29-2004, 12:17 PM
:coffee: Good morning (almost afternoon!) all:

Dena, letting this week's weigh-in slide is a good idea, and then we'll all weigh in next Monday instead, okay? Probably everybody indulged a bit more than they meant to this past few days. My weight is now TWO POUNDS UP, rather than four, so maybe by Wednesday, I'll be back to a full 28 lbs. off again, hence, 5 - 1/2 lbs. off for the Challenge.:)

:flow2: We ate .......... we enjoyed........... now back to work, right, ladies? :flow2: I hope some of our "MIA's" will be back before we know it!:^:

Happy exercise and healthy eating, all! Let's go....... :dance:

Florafae
11-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Good afternoon, everyone.

Sorry for my lapse in posting. We had company Thursday through Sunday, and I havenít had much time to do anything. Now the company is gone and so are most of the leftovers--which is saying a lot, because I cooked a 24 pound turkey.

I did okay, eating-wise. I enjoyed all the wonderful food that Thanksgiving has to offer, but I never pigged out completel. The result: up 1 lb from last Monday. Iím confident that by the time we officially weigh in next Monday, I will have lost that plus a pound or two more. I am really ready to get back on my diet today.

Kandice, congratulations on reaching your goal! :hat: You deserve those new size 14 clothes.

Janet, welcome to the group.

Dena, Iím so glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving dinner at Lawryís. Itís always so much fun to get dressed up and go to a special restaurant. I havenít had time to put up my Christmas decorations yet, but Iím getting very excited about it. A lot of our neighbors hung lights over the weekend, and when I took a walk last night, the houses looked so festive.

May we all have a good week.
Florafae

Shelbi99
11-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi all...yep, Thanksgiving food bad. I am planning to work hard this week to have an excellent weigh in next Monday! Welcome to the newbies and good luck to all!

Den@
11-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Florafae, I'm glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. And I'm glad to see you here again. :) We missed you! Wow, you cooked a 24 lb. turkey?! I'm impressed. Yes, I too, love walking through the neighborhoods at night. Almost everyone in our neighborhood has put up lights or a tree by their window. It's all so beautiful. I love this time of year! (It is also pretty cold for us. It actually snowed little flakes for a few minutes.)

Shelbi, so glad to see you here! Did you have a good Thanksgiving? Good luck this week! We will all work hard at exercising and eating right this week. We will look great for Christmas. :)

Skinny, Jean, Krista, Hmodrow, DewCan~~how are you all doing?

As for me... I did my 30 minute brisk walk this morning and I just finished a Richard Simmons video. I will walk outside or in the mall after dinner. What kind of exercise did everyone else do today? Let's keep each other motivated. :)

Gotta run.
(Hugs),
Dena

deleted
11-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Dena, I can't say I've been as good as you, exercise-wise, but I DID work out in the water for an hour and 15 minutes tonight! :) Tomorrow I will take a long walk, and do my weight workout tomorrow night. I was able to go eat Chicken BBQ pizza at Schlotzsky's because I had been so careful of my calories today! :flow2:

Shelbi and Florafae, so good to see you today! Have a really good week with your working out and eating...........

Looking for that scale to drop a little tomorrow, please!!!!!!!!!!!!:^:

Den@
11-30-2004, 11:37 AM
I just wanted to stop by and wish everyone a great day! :)

Bonnie, wow, working out in the water for an hour and fifteen minutes is fabulous! Now that motivates me to work harder! :) Thank you for posting your exercise routine.

How is everyone else doing? Remember, less than a month to Christmas. (And 6 more days until weigh in.)

Let's keep at it! :)
(Hugs),

chocolots
11-30-2004, 01:15 PM
I just clicked on the post called pictures and the link worked fine. Maybe the site was down at the time. Try again everyone and tell me if it's working for you.

Thanks, Janet

deleted
11-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Janet, it still does the same thing that it did before (when I click on it.) There is nothing I do that allows me to get to your pictures. I think it has to do with our not being "logged in" to that site. You are automatically let in probably, because of your profile, but we're not. :-( That's all I can figure.......... sorry! (Hope you are having a good week! :-) )

Florafae
11-30-2004, 05:56 PM
WARNING! WARNING! :sp: If youíre eating, stop here and read no further.
I apologize that the following posting is gross, but I really need to vent a little.

What a morning! The plumbing backed up and sent gallons and gallons of polluted water pouring all over the downstairs bathroom floor and onto the carpeting in the hallway and my office. The standing water was about two inches deep in the bathroom, and I had to wade through it while I mopped it up with towels and everything else I could find. Such a mess. :fr: The worst part is, until the plumber gets here later this afternoon and unclogs the line to the street, I canít run any water to take a shower or disinfect anything. YUK! I donít know what Iíll do about the carpets.

:) Okay. Thanks for letting me rant. I feel better now. On the plus side, I am so thankful that it happened today and not over the weekend when the house was filled with company.

Also on the plus side, I have absolutely no appetite! In fact, at the moment, Iím thinking I may never eat again.

Hoping tomorrow is a better day, :flow2:
Florafae

KandiceS
12-01-2004, 09:22 AM
AWWWWW Flora- hate that it happened to you- if it's any comfort it happens to others too... perhaps Chris' story will cheer you up!

the first time Chris met my parents was scripted from "meet the parents". He never had been on a plane before. Somehow when I bought the tickets, they never assigned us seats, when we checked in- they gave me a seat but not him, so we had to see if anyone would give up their seat for him. of course we weren't sitting together so I had to ask if someone would change with us... the layover- the 2nd plane was late getting in and delayed us leaving....

then we get to my parents house. they have a finished basement with a sump pump to pump the sewage (toilet and shower) water up to the street. it used to do it automatically but the sensor broke so we need to pump it by pressing the button on it for it to go up to the street. the toilet downstairs runs a bit, and everyone knows you have to wait for it to stop- well, everyone but Chris and we didn't think of it. Chris comes back upstairs and we're talking with my parents. a few hours later my little bro went downstairs to play on the computer- he screams up- DAD!!!!! there is easily an inch or more of water in the bathroom and the sump pump room (my dad's workshop) my dad gets the shop vac and vaccums up as much as he can (clearly memorizing every detail so he can proceed to tell it to all future grandkids and everyone else)... oh man- what a mess- we still laugh about it now- and Chris to this day whenever we visit never has used the downstairs bathroom again! :lol:

Have a great day!

deleted
12-01-2004, 10:22 AM
:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: Kandice, that is too funny, IN RETROSPECT, of course! Florafae, what a bummer! So sorry for you that that happened....... but it does happen to all of us at one time or another!:dizzy: Hope you've survived with your sense of smell and sanity still intact!:^: Oh, well, at least for a short time, you lost your appetite.......... that NEVER happens to me!:D

Okay, girls, still two pounds up!:( :mad: :( But I do understand it, and I know I should stay off that scale until next Monday. I ate from last Tuesday through Sunday, un-DIET-like, so what can I expect? I've been good again last two days, worked out with weights last night, back in the pool for aerobics tonight, will work out again with weights tomorrow............... I have to be patient!:dizzy:

One neat thing, last night... I had allocated two cookies in my 1400 calories for the day. End of the day (11 p.m.) treat with a cup of tea......... ate one.... could not eat the other one! Just wasn't hungry for it! Can you believe that? I had worked out from 7:30 until 8:45 with the weights, then came home to a glass of wine and a Lean Cuisine, and really, that satisfied me. Such a good feeling to not even WANT that cookie!:)

Dena, I'm so impressed by all the exercise you do! YOU inspire me! :balloons: I walked a bunch at the Mall yesterday, and am going back this morning. Not the same as the street or the treadmill, but it's calories burned! :p And I'm getting that darned shopping done.

Well, ladies, packages to mail so I must get out to do that, and to the Mall for their Earlybird specials. Florafae, Dena, Janet, Kandice, Shelbi.........and all our other ladies, who I'm missing seeing on here:^: .... Have a wonderful day! :dance:

Den@
12-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!

Florafae, I'm so sorry you had such an event. But like you said, it's a good thing this didn't happen while your company was here. What a mess! :mad: If it's any comfort, a good friend of mine went through the same thing recently. And all the water works messed up a lot of things that she had. I guess she had to clean for days. But now everything is back to normal, and you'd never know anything happened (except for some lost items).

Kandice, that story about Chris was very funny. Poor guy! You're right, it looked like out of the movie, "Meet the Parents."

Bonnie, good for you!! Walking in the mall! Getting those cals burning. Forget the 2 lbs. Keep concentrating on getting healthy and better habits.

As for me, yesterday I did a Richard Simmons video twice, used my weights and then walked in the mall in the evening. You'd think I would have lost weight or remained the same since Thanksgiving, because I didn't feel I did badly this year. But to my horror, I was up the 3 lbs. that I lost! :fr: Now this calls for drastic measures! So today I'm going to only eat 1,000 cals. Wish me luck that I can lose these stupid pounds, because I really feel discouraged. :mad: I just don't get it! (OK, I'm not a victim here. I just have to be more determined.) Just like you Bonnie, I have to concentrate on getting healthy and better habits. It's easy to say and hard to do! But we can get there together.

OK ladies, let's keep at it. And let's keep encouraging each other. We can do this!
(Hugs),

deleted
12-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Dena, you have to be building muscle, for one thing, with all that exercise. AND we women know how we can hold water weight, go up then down, three pounds or more in a matter of days. SO DON'T GET DISCOURAGED......... (easy for me to say, I know)..... but I'm fighting the same feelings. We can do it! We'll just keep eating right, exercising and we'll get there. Hugs to you! :flow1:

Florafae
12-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Well, the house reeks of Clorox, but things are more or less back to normal today. Thanks for the sympathy, everyone, and I loved the sump pump story, Kandice. What a great group this is!

Dena, the laws of thermodynamics are on your side. It takes 3000 calories to add one pound of fat. So, unless you consumed an extra 9,000 calories during the past week, there is no way the three pounds youíre seeing on the scale is fat. It has to be new muscle, water retention, or a little of both.

Bonnie. Walking, water aerobics, working out with weights--Good for you! Iím impressed youíve already started mailing packages. I havenít even started shopping yet.

I was thinking this morning that regardless of what shows on the scale, I am definitely living a much healthier lifestyle, thanks to the Merry Christmas Challenge.

Happy Trails,
Florafae

DewCan
12-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Hi all :wave:
sorry i' ve been away so long. :sorry: I was on a medical/vacation trip for a while. I was up when I was back and was discouraged, and have been avoiding you and the scale. Now it's Dec 1 and it's time to start again. So here I am. I'm avoiding the real scale for another week.
Diana

deleted
12-01-2004, 05:49 PM
DewCan, it's so good to see you back.:) And if you're up a bit, this is the place to be! We will all help you get back on track! As I'm sure you've read above, Thanksgiving threw most of us a little curve, and we're having to get back on the straight and narrow. It's three weeks before Christmas, and we still have time to do some serious work on ourselves!:^: :cheer: for all of us. You're a great group of ladies, :grouphug:

deleted
12-02-2004, 10:16 AM
:coffee: Okay, ladies, dropped ONE of the Thanksgiving pounds! :flow2: That makes me feel better. Maybe the other will drop by tomorrow, and I'll be back to my total of 5 - 1/2 pounds off (for our Challenge.) And who knows, I might drop a little more by Monday, and have a small loss????????:) :^: :dizzy: HOPE SPRINGS ENTERNAL! :D I had a good water aerobics class last night, and will work out with weights tonight. It's such a pretty day that I may take a walk ............

Florafae, hope your Clorox smell is gradually getting better. Thank God for Clorox!

Everyone, have a great day! :dance:

Den@
12-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!!

Yesterday I did my Richard Simmons video, drank my 8 glasses of water and ate only 760 cals. And today I'm down 2 out of the 3 lbs. gained. :D Yaaaa Hooo!! Thank you, Florafae and Bonnie! You were both right.... it must be part water retention and muscle. It's funny how that scale determines how I feel. I must remember I am eating better and getting healthier. :) I'd like to try to do the same today, so I will get rid of the other pound and maybe lose a little for Monday. Here goes....

Bonnie, congrats to you on losing a pound. Doesn't that feel great?! :) Thank you for all of your encouragement. We shall get through these next few weeks in flying colors! And good for you for going to water aerobics during this chilly weather! Again, you are an inspiration!

Florafae, so glad things are getting back to normal... especially with the Christmas stress approaching of getting things decorated and buying Christmas presents. Thank you, too, for your encouraging words and laws of thermodynamics. Your kind words help keep me motivated. :)

Diana, so glad you are back with us. You will get those pounds off before you know it. Stick with us, girl. We are all going through the same thing after that big holiday. I understand completely when you say you want to avoid the scale. I hate that thing.!

Hope you all have a great day!
(Hugs),

KandiceS
12-02-2004, 12:10 PM
congrats dena for getting 2 of the 3 lbs off.... sure you'll get the other one off today.

Florafae
12-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Good morning all.

The Christmas temptations begin. Last evening my Danish neighbor brought over a made-from-scratch German Chocolate cake dripping with pecan frosting and still warm from the oven. This kind and generous woman is a dessert goddess. She even makes her own homemade French pastries: ťclairs, Bavarian creams, you name it.

My family dove into the cake with great gusto. Eventually the aroma overcame me, and I weakened and had a small piece. (Yes, it was to die for!)

So, all morning Iíve been trying to think of a better strategy for handling the barrage of Christmas food gifts that will be passing under my nose during the next few weeks. It isnít an easy issue. For some of my relatives, especially the older ones who are on fixed incomes, sending homemade Christmas cookies, peanut brittle, fudge, and other assorted goodies is not only a tradition, but the only gift they can afford. It means a lot to them to be able to give something that everyone will enjoy. I know that if I asked them to not send food, or to send healthier food, they would be hurt.

Another big factor is that weight gain is not an issue for my husband and sons and they LOVE the Christmas food gifts. I donít keep a lot of sweets around the house during the rest of the year, so they really look forward to that aspect of the Christmas season. I know they would forego the nuts and goodies and toss them in the trash if I asked them to, but I wouldnít feel right about it.

What I will do is ask my family to keep the goodies out of sight (no plates of brownies on the kitchen counter). Do any of you have other ideas or suggestions? I will need all the help I can get.

Trying to stay strong,
Florafae

KandiceS
12-02-2004, 03:26 PM
you can stay strong flora.

everything in moderation. you don't want to cut it out completely I'm sure, but again don't go eat the entire box of chocolates either! :lol:

Anyways that's my plan, moderation. There is no way that I'll be able to make it through and continue to lose if I don't allow myself some treats. (Because if I would- I know myself too good, once I get to goal I would definitely over indulge in the things I had been denying myself)

Den@
12-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Flora,
I feel for your predicament. I would say sample a little bit of everything, but I know when I try that, it only gets me started. So you know your body best. If you can handle a lttle, try that. Just add whatever you do to your daily calorie intake. Here is what Dr. Laura said yesterday to do while dieting: (she's a radio psychologist) "Eat no junk food while dieting, except for once a week. Then you can have a treat." Of course, I don't know if she is talking about Christmas time.

I do, however, tell my hubby to hide his treats from me. He doesn't have a weight problem, and he is good about hiding them. When I don't see them, I'm not tempted.

Good luck to you, Flora. We're all rooting for you.

Kandice, thank you for rooting me on. Every little cheer makes me stronger!

(Hugs),

Florafae
12-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Thank you Kandice and Dena. Great suggestions! Moderation has got to be the key. How come I keep forgetting this basic fact? Total deprivation may work for a little while, but eventually I cave in and end up eating more than a reasonable amount.

When the Holiday goodies start arriving, I think Iíll try this: Iíll allow myself a small treat every day after supper and work the calories into my daily count as best as possible. It just makes sense. If I try to avoid the goodies entirely, I will end up slipping into random unconscious eating, which is my biggest downfall. When Iím in unconscious eating mode, I have a little bite here, a nibble there, and before I know it, Iím halfway through a bag of chips, and I donít even realize it.

So, thank you both. Iím feeling more in control already.

Florafae

deleted
12-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Florafae, I am in total agreement with Kandice and Dena. If we all think about it, the rest of our eating life will be filled with temptations, and moderation will be the key to staying slim once we get our extra pounds off, right?:^: I'm trying to learn to take full responsibility for EVERYTHING that goes into my body......... and really think about the fact that if too much goes in, I will have to deal with the consequences.

During this season, I'm only going to eat the treats that I REALLY LOVE, AND a small amount of those. Because like the other girls said, I think if you totally deprive yourself........... eventually you'll resent it, and pig out! (I certainly will!:o ) It is so hard to really change our eating habits, but we really must......... and I KNOW that moderation is the key!

Repeat after me: We have to eat, but we don't have to eat the amount we used to.:) And we don't have to eat a lot of something to enjoy it... a few bites will suffice, and we'll feel so THIN and LIGHT, as we continue our journey!!!:smug: :flow1: Hugs to all you ladies, you're the best! :flow1:

Den@
12-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!

Well, I promised to eat less cals and I did... 760. I didn't weigh myself this morning, because I know how my body fluctuates, and I love this feeling of being in control and strength. Plus, I feel better physically. I've been reading how omega-3 oils are excellent for our bodies, so I am eating more fish, something I never thought I would do. :lol: I'm so glad I'm back on track after Thanksgiving, and it took a whole week to feel strong again!

Bonnie, I love your attitude and tips. You are right... I must take responsibility for everything that goes into my mouth and deal with the consequences. How do you handle times of stress? That's when I forget my responsibilities to my body.

Gals, maybe we can talk about this... Emotional eating. I'm doing okay now, but whenever I am super stressed, I seem to run to the refrigerator. At least, that's what I see happened in the past, and I want to break that habit. Any tips on how to avoid this?

Florafae, I'm so glad you came up with a good plan. Have your cake and eat it, too (in moderation). :) I know too well that feeling of a nibble here and there, and then self disgust. Let's not go there this year. We can stay strong together. :)

OK, time to get moving~~
(Hugs),

Florafae
12-03-2004, 03:24 PM
Emotional eating. Now there a tough one. Hereís something Iíve been doing that works a lot of the time--but not always. Iím a serious tea drinker. There is a type of tea that is very expensive and very delicious. The silvery leaves are hand-rolled into tiny balls and slowly unfurl during brewing. Itís a real treat for the both the eyes and the taste buds. Because of the cost, I only drink it on special occasions.

Iíve found that when stress and emotions drive me to the kitchen, I can often ďfill the voidĒ by making a big to-do about preparing a cup of my luxury tea. I even make a point to use a good cup, not one of my every-day mugs.

I know most people arenít gourmet tea drinkers, but I suspect the basic theory would apply to other items. The trick is to find something that is extravagant, feels like a reward, and isnít too high in calories.

Iím interested to hear what strategies the rest of you are using.

Florafae

Den@
12-03-2004, 07:18 PM
That's a great idea, Florafae. What's the name/brand of that tea. It sounds like it would relax me, too. I need to be more relaxed. :)
Thanks for the info.

I just came back from the Fashion Show Mall, a beautiful mall here in Las Vegas. I saw a fashion show and a Christmas show for free. What a wonderful way to start the holiday season. They even made real snow flakes fall from the ceiling. Very pretty and festive.

I treated myself to a salad for Lunch at Norstrom's. Kandice, there were no carbs. :) I'm learning from you!
(Hugs),

deleted
12-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Dena, your time at the Mall and lunch at Nordstrom's sounds wonderful. I've only eaten at our Nordstrom's once, but the lunch was great. Sounds so festive and Christmas-y! :)

I have been dealing with a lot of family stress the last few months, and my eating/fitness program is my savior, in a way. I have always raided the refrigerator, under stress, but for some reason, I've been able to hold down that impulse this time. I believe it's the exercise part of it that is keeping me on the straight and narrow. It's like, *if I'm going to exercise almost every day, then I'm not going to stuff myself, and 'waste the effort.'* I wish I could explain it better ... I am VERY serious about the exercise program and I feel that if I blow the eating plan, I'm really letting myself down because I know that I really need to be successful at both.

Good luck to all of you with whatever works for you. :grouphug: We will all accomplish this mission, in our own way. Kandice, rewarding yourself with something special also works for me. I try, everyday, to have something that I really LOVE. :)

:flow2: Hope all you ladies will have a great weekend! :flow2:

Den@
12-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Good Morning, Gals!
Just a few days before our weigh-in Monday. Let's all be strong!
Here's to a wonderful weekend.

Bonnie, thank you for all of your wonderful information and insight regarding emotional eating.

Sorry, I don't have a lot of time to write. Hubby iis waiting for me to take our morning walk. We do that on weekends. :)
(Hugs),

deleted
12-05-2004, 09:44 AM
:coffee: Good morning ladies! How are you all today? I am a little disgusted because I had a good 1800 calories yesterday, a lot of it very salty, and I am two pounds back up as of this morning. I don't think I will have a prayer of any actual loss by tomorrow, although I might be back down to my 5 - 1/2 lbs. that I have taken off for the Challenge.

I did an hour of Water Aerobics yesterday, then did a brisk half-hour walk, plus long, long walks all over the Mall parking area, so I did burn a lot of calories, but for whatever reason, I was STARVING:o yesterday, and just overdid the eating. My friend came up to eat and play cards last night, so that made it more difficult. Do you ever have days when your body just keeps feeling "hollow hungry?":dizzy: I rarely do, but yesterday was one of them!

Oh, well, this is another day, and I will NOT have more than 1200 - 1400 cals. today! I'm also going to take another long walk OR go up to the pool to work out for an hour to an hour and a half on my own.

Dena, hope you and hubby enjoyed your walk yesterday. You inspired me to get out and do that yesterday......... such a beautiful time of year here in Raleigh. And I was walking with a light step because my UNC Tar Heels beat Kentucky! :dance:

Have a great Sunday, girls! I promise to be good today! :mad: :)

deleted
12-06-2004, 10:44 AM
:) Hey there girls! Well, I'm feeling okay because my weight is back to five and one-half pounds off, exactly as it was two weeks ago today. So I am still five and one-half off for the Challenge! (Have not lost anymore.......:( ) That means I still need to lose two and one-half by the morning of December 22!!!:^: Considering that we went away for Thanksgiving, and all that I ate for almost a week, I can't complain. Also I really think that, after over five months of exercising, I have more muscle weighing in now. I exercised five days last week!

One thing that's making me feel real good is that my body seems so different, through the middle!!! Something is feeling lighter, tighter, stronger there... so I am happy about that! :dance: Although I wish I were losing faster, being 28 lbs. lighter than I was the end of June is something to feel *very merry* about! I MUST try harder to keep the calories below 1500 EVERYDAY!!!:mad:

:grouphug: Hope all you girls are feeling good today, and are content with how your programs are going. We still have time to accomplish more before Christmas!:)

Den@
12-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!

Bonnie, congratulations on getting those 5 1/2 lbs. off! What an accomplishment after Thanksgiving! I think that holiday threw a lot of us off. So you getting so close to your goal during the holidays is fantastic! :bravo:

Somehow I managed to lose the 3 lbs. I gained over the holidays and then an extra pound, making that 4 lbs off total. I'm soooooo happy! :D I really want to keep that off and go for a few more pounds before Christmas. I just did my Richard Simmons video and plan to burn some more cals before the day is done.

How did everyone's week go? We want to hear from you whether you gained, maintained or lost. We all could use each other's support. If I didn't come here when I gained the 3 lbs., I wouldn't have tried hard to lose them. I would have just given up, eaten more and gained more weight. Luckily, coming here made me get more determined to take those extra pounds off. It was like wiping the slate clean and starting over. :)

Only 19 days before Christmas! :D

(Hugs),

deleted
12-06-2004, 01:32 PM
:balloons: for you, Miss Dena!!! So proud of you for losing that extra pound, so now you are four down! :flow1: ATTAGIRL! :flow1: KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!:D

KandiceS
12-06-2004, 02:38 PM
congrats Dena! sounds like fun eating out!

I think I've finally discovered what a plateau is- and no, everyone's right, it's not fun. I'm eating good, exercising 5x a week still and I haven't moved (up or down) in 2 weeks. I'm happy where I am, but it's not "good enough" still have 30 lbs left! I'm going to work through it... (with all your help and support!)

not diet or exercise related- I'm so excited for Christmas now... Long story short- Christopher wanted the terrain twister for Christmas- Hot toy of 2004... well of course no one has them- believe me I checked everywhere! so on friday we finally confronted him and asked what else was on his list because the twisters are all sold out- maybe for his bday in feb.... what a disapointed kid! I hated to do it! well, this AM I was playing online and checked walmart.com (I had checked there before) and they were back in stock! YAY! 1 hour later they're out of stock again- but I got my order in and it'll be here sometime between thursday and next thursday. I'm so excited to see his face Christmas when he opens it and he's not expecting it at all!!

And I got Chris a leather jacket that I KNOW he doesn't expect. I made him get rid of his old one when I came in the picture- it was very 80s- with the "pouffy" shoulders and all. :lol: he's tried it on a few times but never got it because the $$. but the "balck friday" it was on sale- so I got it!

Can't wait to see their faces!!!

Florafae
12-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Good going everyone. :flow2:

Bonnie: Congratulations on your tighter, firmer middle, and for conquering Thanksgiving, :dancer:

Dena: Four pounds! Fantastic. :encore: Youíve inspired me to dig out my ďSweatiní to the OldiesĒ from the bottom of the closet.

Kandice, you may not be losing, but youíre also not gaining, and thatís good news anytime. :cp: Iím so glad you found the Twister for Christopher. Iím sure heíll go crazy when he sees it.

Hereís my weigh in news: I lost the pound I gained over Thanksgiving plus another pound and half. So, Iím down 1.5 pounds since our last official weigh-in two weeks ago, This brings my total to 9 pounds lost since I started the challenge! It is so unbelievable to be losing weight during this time of year, rather than gaining it.

Dena, the tea I was talking about is called Jasmine Downey Pearls. Itís a loose-leaf green tea. I buy it at Peets Coffee & Tea, though itís probably available elsewhere. There are so many wonderful teas out there. Iím always trying new ones. Not only are they delicious, but theyíre calorie free.

May we all have a good week, :)
Florafae

deleted
12-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Kandice, sounds as though your family has an exciting Christmas coming!:) Glad you found that toy........... I'm sorry to hear you're on a plateau; I'm in the same boat, basically. I haven't lost any more since our weigh-in two weeks ago. But for me, a plateau is a victory this time of year.......... I'm usually GAINING already!:^: So hang in there, that scale will most certainly drop!

Florafae, :balloons: to you! Wonderful that you've lost another pound and a half. I know it feels great!:) Keep up the good work....... you're making excellent progress!

So far, I've had 800 calories today, and will go to water aerobics a couple of hours from now. Then I'll probably have another 400 calories when I get back in. Try to stick to that, and hope for a drop tomorrow. I've felt so hungry the last few days, and strange as it sounds, when my body talks to me like that, I'm usually getting ready to drop a pound or two. Please say a prayer for me and my scale!:lol:

Girls, when you say you want to drop X-number of pounds during the holidays, what do you mean exactly? For example, I am going to diet through December 21, hoping to get off another 2- 1/2 lbs. by then, then relax and not worry about my diet until January 2 (I don't mean "pig out", but just eat without counting), when I will start to be strict again. Are you girls planning to be strict all the way through New Year's? If you are, God bless you.......... you're more determined than me, and I'm proud of you!:^: I will NEVER eat the way I used to again, but I will allow myself "maintenance level" calories for a few days.

Have a good evening, all!

Shelbi99
12-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Hi all....been busy and not able to check in lately but glad to read all the wonderful inspiration. Congrat Den and Flora on your weight losses! I'm still at a standstill but I did have to deal with TOM...Kandice, I feel your plateau pain! It seems sometimes the harder you try, the worse the results are. But I'm not giving up. Here's to a losing week for everyone!

KandiceS
12-07-2004, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=tobaccygirl]

Girls, when you say you want to drop X-number of pounds during the holidays, what do you mean exactly? For example, I am going to diet through December 21, hoping to get off another 2- 1/2 lbs. by then, then relax and not worry about my diet until January 2 (I don't mean "pig out", but just eat without counting), when I will start to be strict again. Are you girls planning to be strict all the way through New Year's? [QUOTE]

ugh- I was thinking about that. I'm going "home" to Maine from Dec 26th- January 2nd. My parents EAT and more important eat CARBS. I'm extremely nervous. part of me knows they're my parents and they'll accomodate me, but I still kinda feel like a guest in their home now and don't want them to do special shopping or anything for me.
I'm going to TRY to stay within my diet, but if I eat 80 carbs a day (instead of 40-60) then oh well, tomorrow is another day right? no sense beating yourself up about it. Basically I think about it right now- that I accomplished my Christmas goal and I'm working on my March goal. so anything from here till Christmas is "extra". That's probably not the way to think about it but it does keep me motivated during my weight stall... like "I'm not losing, but you know what- I already met my goal- a month early, so it's ok... "

I'm going to post a new thread about plateaus- I've heard everything- eat more to jump start, cut back carbs again to jump start... I need to know what works. I'm trying to cut back carbs right now and put more into exercising. Today I have 32 total carbs figured for my meal plan today. and I'm going to Curves at lunch time.

Enjoy the rest of the week everyone!

deleted
12-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Kandice, for what it's worth, I'm going to state my opinion here on our thread about plateaus..... I honestly don't think there's anything to be done about a so-called plateau. I think it's simply your body adjusting to an entirely different way of being fed and used, and I feel that I just have to be patient, which is horribly difficult. I don't thing the scientific "formulas" (for calorie burning; exercise needs) are correct when our bodies hit this stage. I think you just have to continue to eat healthy and exercise, and that has to be your "reward" for awhile ... (and the fact that you feel better all over. :-) )

I think all the theories about what helps a plateau are just that......... theories! :( Aside from making sure your calories stay where they should (no less than 1200), and getting lots of exercise, you just have to be patient.......... WHICH IS THE ABSOLUTE HARDEST PART OF MY HEALTH PLAN!!!!:mad:

Okay, I'll hush now!:D But I'm sixty now, and have been down this road a couple of times before, and have given up out of impatience. Not gonna get me THIS time!:p

Good luck to everybody, regarding how you handle the holidays! I hope you find a plan that REALLY works for you.:) :grouphug: to all my buddies on this thread. (Don't shop yourselves to death! :lol: )

KandiceS
12-07-2004, 11:02 AM
found this on an inspirational quotes and stories thread but thought it was worthy of copying and bringing here:

When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down,
And you feel like the biggest failure in town.
When you want to give up just because you gave in,
And forgot all about being healthy and thin.
So what! You went over your points a bit,
It's your next move that counts...So DON'T quit!
It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change.
It's learning the skills to get back to your range.
It's telling yourself, "you've done great up till now.
You can take on this challenge and best it somehow."
It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
You're still gonna make it, just stay in control.
To stumble and fall is not a disgrace.
If you summon the will to get back in the race.
But, often the strugglers, when losing their grip,
Just throw in the towel and continue to slip.
And learn too late when the damage is done,
That the race wasn't over and they still could have won.
Life-style change can be awkward and slow,
But facing each challenge will help you to grow.
Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint in the cloud of doubt.
When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit.
If you bite it, write it...But DON'T YOU QUIT!!

Den@
12-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!
I'm sorry I wasn't here yesterday. Lots of stuff going on. In fact, I've got to get ready for a meeting now.

Bonnie, I know what you mean about certain days being hungrier than other days. but for me, I think it's stress-eating, which acts like hunger. My problem is that once I overeat one day, it's harder for me to get back in control. And I have to start over again. I have about 15 lbs. left to lose to where I feel I look great. (I've lost 30 already.) It seems the closer you are, the harder it is to maintain or lose. So, I'll pray for you to have strength, if you pray for me. :)

OK, have a great day. And now that I've written that I have made some mistakes these last few days, I feel more determined to fix them.

Let's keep at it! :)
(Hugs),

skinny_butt
12-08-2004, 01:35 PM
from the prodigal! I can't even remember the last time I posted here and I apologize for neglecting the challenge. :o Hope you will welcome your prodigal w/open arms! Life has been, well, :crazy: ! We ar dealing w/several stressful family situations so say a prayer for us. DH lost his job-blew us out of the water-wayward adult son is sleeping in our living room and DH is dealing w/accepting a diagnosis of being bipolar. Whew, I'm tired just thinking about it all! :)

I let life knock me off my eating right and exercising wagon but am back on board 100% this week. Been staying w/in my points and exercising everyday. Monday-35 minutes cardio, 25 minutes weights. Tuesday-55 minutes on cross training maching. I thought I was gonna pass out but I pushed myself through it. :tread:

Kandice-thanks for the poem. I've printed it off and posted it on my desk! I think I'll make some copies to post around my home as well. Hoping you'll soon break your plateau. I agree w/Bonnie-I think it's just your body adjusting to all the changes that are going on. When you lose weight, you change not just your appearance but a lot of physiological things as well. Hang in there! :cheer:

I am maintaining, which is proof that miracles do still happen. :lol: Will weigh in again on 12/13/2004. Good luck, ladies. I'm going to have to go back and read the posts in order to get caught up on everyone! Thanks for welcoming me back into the fold.

KandiceS
12-08-2004, 01:35 PM
we all need to have patience- but you girls really help! We'll make it together! :hugs:

I posted a couple of pictures in the low carb- I'm posts 12 and 14

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50112

the first one is my family Christmas picture and then the last 2 are me in my celebration dress- size 8
(I started with a tight 16/18) the size 8 is still obviously tight and a few more bulges than I like but it WILL fit by the time I get done. hanging on my closet door right now- I said before it probably should go in front of the refridgerator! :lol:

tell me what you think!

Den@
12-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Our successes since starting the Merry Christmas Challenge:

Florafae - Lost 9 lbs.
Kandice - Lost 8 lbs. (Goal!)
Bonnie - Lost 5 1/2 lbs.
Dena - Lost 4 lbs.
Skinny - Lost 1 lb.
Shelbi - Maintained

Congratulation to everyone!!! We didn't gain over the holidays! We did really well! Let's keep at it. :)

Skinny and Shelbi, glad to see you both back! :)

Shelbi, congrats to you for hanging in there and not giving up (when we all know how easy it is to throw in the towel, especially at this time of year). Let's keep at this together.

Skinny, I'm sorry you are going through some really stressful situations. I'm impressed that you got right back to your weight watcher's plan and are exercising again. I'm sooooo proud of you!

Kandice, great pictures! What an accompishment! I can see Chris and Christopher are very pleased and proud of your progress!

Gotta run.
(Hugs),

deleted
12-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Skinny_Butt, hugs to you!:) So glad to see you back. Sometimes we do have to make lemonade with those lemons that life hands us, and you are determined to do that. Happy that you are getting back on track, and I hope things get much better for your husband and with your son. Somehow, all our problems feel magnified this time of year, at least, mine do!:( But we have to keep our chins up and march on, don't we? :^:

Hey there Shelbi! :flow2: So glad that you are back with us, and don't feel lonely on your "plateau" boat........... a few of us are on there with you, for whatever reason. I was just SURE I'd have dropped another pound by now, but not yet!!!!!!!!!!!:dizzy: :mad: :dizzy: But my body feels so much better, and I know how much less I'm eating and how much more I'm exercising than before I started over five months ago, so I cannot let the scale dictate my mood........ I know I'm on the right path!!!:p

Yes, Miss Dena, we'll just have to pray for each other and our scales!:lol: I was so hungry last night after water aerobics. I worked out for an hour and 20 minutes in water that was chillier than usual. I could have eaten a bear, I swear!:D BUT I DIDN'T!!! But that blankety-blank scale didn't drop this morning............ :o oh, well, all in good time!

Kandice, you're doing so well!!! Really proud of you...... you've already reached your Christmas goal, and you are going to be one pretty bride! How exciting! :dance:

Well, girls, got to get out to do a bit more shopping this morning. Then weights tonight! Whew!!!!!!! :grouphug: to you all! Have a great day, everybody! :flow1:

skinny_butt
12-09-2004, 11:47 AM
:balloons: Hope everyone is having a good health day! Thanks so much for the warm re-welcome and encouragement. It helps tremendously! :) :)

Good eating day yesterday and did 45 minutes cardio. I am, however, beginning to feel the effects of getting back into exercising. :D You should have seen me coming up the steps at work this morning. It was quite comical! :lol:

Dena-thanks so much for starting this challenge. I don't know if I'll reach goal but I'll do my darndest! I'll be praying for you as well! If I can get back on track then you should have no problem correcting your mistakes! Hang in there, girl! :cheer:

Bonnie-that darned old scale being mean to you again today? :D You sure are doing well w/exercise and everything. Just remember to keep on going! Easier said than done sometimes, believe me, but you can do it. We're all cheering for you! :cheer:

Shelbi-welcome back! Hope things start picking up for you soon. You're on the right path and making good, healthy decisions. It will show itself in time. Don't give up! :balloons:

Kandice-you look mahvelous!! :bravo: :flow2: What a lovely young lady you are and what a lovely family! Keep up the good work. You're an inspiration!

Well, gotta run. Coffee and work are calling! :coffee: Hugs all around. :grouphug:

Den@
12-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Happy Friday, Everyone!
It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood. :lol: It's sunny out and 60 degrees! Great weather for my morning walk!

Well, I've done all my Christmas shopping. I'm so glad that's taken care of, but of course, there's not much money to go around after that. No wonder I've been stressed.

We're going to California next week for a few days, then back here, then back again closer to Christmas. That's a 5 hour drive or so--one way. So I'm trying to get ready for that. I'm so looking forward to our trips, yet overwhelmed by it all. Plus, I want to clean the house so it looks great when we get back. I better make a list to get things done, so I can cross them off, and not feel so overwhelmed.

Ler's keep eating right, exercising and drinking that water. :)
(Hugs),

skinny_butt
12-10-2004, 01:57 PM
It's rainy "cat's and dogs" here in KY but it's still a beautiful day in the neighborhood! :) Doing well today and yesterday was good as well. Stayed w/in my points and even managed to sneak in a couple of homemade choc. chip cookies. Yum. Walk/run-2 miles.

Dena-you are a lady after my own heart! We must be siblings separated at birth. I always, always, always clean my house before leaving on a trip and I always, always, always make a list. My family thinks I'm crazy but there's nothing I dislike more than coming home tired from a long trip to a dirty house. Yuck! Glad to know I'm not alone! ;)

Hope your trips are wonderful!

Onward and DOWNward, ladies! ;)

KandiceS
12-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Dena-
congrats on getting all your shopping done! have a safe trip- we'll be thinking of you!

skinny- nothing better than staying within your points and being able to eat a treat! yesterday I was still within my carb limit and I had a tortilla sheel with my quesilda stuffing (usually I eat just the stuffing by itself and make quesildilas for the boys) YUM!

Have a great weekend!

Florafae
12-10-2004, 04:12 PM
I havenít posted in a while. Iíve been scurrying around trying to get as much done as possible before my father arrives next Wednesday for a three-week visit. He comes every year (my mother is deceased). Iím just heading out the door right now, but I wanted to check in quickly and tell you what happened yesterday.

I had a doctor's appointment (just a check-up, nothing important.) The doctor was very encouraged to see I had lost weight, and asked me what program I was using. I told him I wasn't on any specific program but that I had joined an online support group, and I found it extremely helpful. He thought it was such a good idea, that he wrote down the address of 3fatchicks.com and said he was going suggest it to some of his other patients who were struggling to lose weight and having no success. So, the good word is spreading.

Have a good weekend everyone, and drive safely, Dena.

Florafae

deleted
12-10-2004, 08:17 PM
:dance: I lost that 29th pound this morning ladies! :dance: I did it, I did it, I did it! :D :p :smug: :dizzy: :o :) :D (Dena, you must have prayed hard! :lol: )

Ladies, can't tell you how happy I am to see that drop! Man, thought it would never come. Thank you for all your support along the way......... :^: So now I've lost 6 - 1/2 lbs. toward my Christmas Challenge of 8 pounds. Twelve days to go........... 1 - 1/2 lbs. to lose in that time.

Dena, hope you will have a wonderful time on your California trips. My DH and I have only flown over your part of the country so we are anxious to drive out that way now that we're retired. Also plan to see Celine's show in Vegas!:)

Florafae, have a really nice visit with your Dad. What a great time of year for a visit!

:grouphug: to all you girls! I am celebrating my 1 pound loss with wine and cheese popcorn tonight, but promise not to overdo!;) (I'll work it off in water aerobics tomorrow!)

Cheers all! :)

KandiceS
12-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Congrats Bonnie!

Dena- we'll be thinking of you during your trip!

Yay Flora for spreading the news of 3fc!

I've finally lost another 2.5 lbs (182.5). so now at 10.5 lbs since the christmas Challenge. I'm not going to change my ticker until I get weighed and measured officially next friday- the 24th.

deleted
12-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Good for you, Kandice, on losing that 2.5 lbs. That is great! :flow1:

My official loss for the past week is the 1 pound. So, as I stated above, I am officially down 6.5 pounds for the Challenge. MUST get another pound off in the next nine days!:mad: The problem is that on Wednesday early, I leave for the Western part of the state, and will be taking cole slaw, potato salad and pecan pie (HIS birthday cake! :o ) with whipped cream for my brother's 65th birthday that day. My sister will make huge Maryland crab cakes, and Southern-style green beans and corn, and we'll have beer and wine with it all.

Then the next day will be spent at my sister's, preparing food for my Mom's nursing home party the next day. My sister will have delicious food for us, I know.........:( .......... then Friday, the party, with all sorts of goodies (soulfood, appetizer dips, desserts, yadda yadda!):^:

I wish I didn't have that three days of eating before I start my "official eating break" on December 22......... but this is life, and I must manage these occasions!:?: AND I WILL! :flow2:

Good luck to all of you with your weigh-ins this week. I'm so proud of each and every one of us! :grouphug: :cheer: for all!

deleted
12-13-2004, 11:04 AM
I meant to say I MUST lost another 1.5 pounds in the next 12 days, but with my schedule, it's looking IFFY!!!!!!!!!!! :-0 !

Florafae
12-13-2004, 05:43 PM
Congratulations Kandice and Bonnie! :dancer: Kandice, see how quickly you came off the plateau. Good for you.

Bonnie, I sympathize with your predicament. Every family has special foods associated with different holidays, and it seems as if most of those foods tend to be very delicious and very fattening--at least thatís the case with my family. Then thereís the other side of it. So often, family gatherings often stir up all sorts of stress and strong emotions (both positive and negative) that make it even harder to stay in control eating-wise. But youíre right: thatís life, and itís up to us to try to eat responsibly, no matter what the circumstances.

I had a good week and was able to lose another 2.5 lbs. :) My total is now 11.5 pounds lost since I joined the challenge. For some reason I was really hungry this week, even though I was staying in my usual calorie range. I suppose itís Christmas stress. Still, I was able to stick to my diet most every day. Saturdays and Sundays, are the hardest for me.

This coming week the real challenge begins: my dad arrives for his 21-day visit. This is a man who ONLY eats high-carb high-fat foods. (Would you like some more mashed potatoes and gravy with your slab of ham?) Also on the horizon: the company Christmas dinner/party, and the arrival of Christmas goodies from distant relatives.

Iím just going to try and stick with what Iíve been doing. It feels so wonderful to be able to check in on Monday and report the loss of another pound or two. Again, I am so thankful that I found this group. It is such a help to me.

Dena, I hope you had a good trip.

I wish you all a good week. :flow2:
Florafae

deleted
12-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Congratulations, Miss Florafae!!! :balloons: to you!!! That is great, getting off that much more. :)

I have been out Christmas shopping and grocery shopping, etc., all afternoon, and feel half-dead. The water aerobics will feel good once I get there, in about an hour and a half, but right now, I'd love a big glass of wine, and a FLOP-DOWN!:^: But I can't........:( I"m tired because I got very little sleep last night as it suddenly hit me how much I have to do before my kids arrive on Dec. 23........... Everything kept racing through my head! The problem is my going away for the three days this week.:o

Florafae, I know your dilemma. You want your father to have a wonderful time, enjoy his food, and yet you need to balance his needs with yours. We all have that this time of year, don't we?:^: Good luck with managing everything. We will do the very best we can, then hit the straight and narrow again on January 2nd!:)

Hope you're all having a good day! :)

KandiceS
12-17-2004, 10:29 AM
Flora- I'm in the same boat- my family are carb lovers and I know they think my diet is "silly" and that I'll gain it all back (because that's what always happens with my stepmom) She's not supportive at all. she always tries to say- "well, you remember when I was on WW and how I lost x lbs? well, x + 20 came back on" totally takes away from my happiness when I call and say- I got weighed today- lost another x lbs. and then her response is always a negative. I've just stopped telling her now. We're staying them for a week- my dad and stepmom. I really hope they don't try to sabotage me since I'm doing so good and happy with myself finally. But I know there WILL be mashed potatoes and not just any mashed potatoes but potatoes with parsley and garlic salt... MMMM, and of course all the pies and everything for Christmas... oh man! We'll get through it together! Another thing- my stepmom- she's been in my life for 19 of my 24 years, she buys me clothes- (and good ones that I like) but I really hope she won't say something or mean something by the sizes she bought. In an email I told her I dropped a size in pants and I'm wearing a Med/ large in shirts now. I really hope she doesn't buy me "fat clothes".

I weighed last night at Curves- again not officially but I was down to 179- 6 lbs from my ticker. that's half way to goal! 24 more lbs! I can't wait until next thursday when I weigh and measure for real to see the results of this month.

Have a great weekend ladies!

Den@
12-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm back from my trip and then we leave again on Tuesday. I want to thank you gals for keeping our little group together by posting. I just loved coming back to the message boards and seeing you all here! :D

Just before we left I wasn't feeling all that great, and wasn't sure I could make the trip. I managed to get a urinary infection (I was totally stressed)and was in major pain. But I drank a gallon of cranberry juice, and thank God, I felt better the day we had to leave, sipping hot tea all the way on our drive to keep warm. Sheesh. The drive was a long one. It should have taken about 5 hours, but because of several accidents it took 7! I'm very thankful we weren't invoved in any. When we got to California the weather was beautiful--mid 70's. The winter weather in Las Vegas is colder than what I'm used to. My body hasn't really adjusted yet. :lol: It was great to be in LA and Beverly Hills. I just love it there! The Christmas decorations were so beautiful. On Rodeo Drive the lamp posts had chandoliers inside boxes hanging as ornaments. Their huge Christmas tree was all lit up in white, with gold and violet.while the Beverly Hills Spanish steps were decorated in bows and little white lights. We ate at a couple of our favorite restaurants and really enjoyed being back home!

Our drive back wasn't so bad, and I must admit I was totally happy to see my house and the fact that we arrived safely.

I promise to respond to everyone's messages later, but for now, It's great seeing all you gals again!
(Hugs),

Florafae
12-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Kandice, youíve broken the 180 barrier! :dancer: Thatís wonderful. Hurray for you.

I am so sorry that you are not receiving any encouragement from your stepmother. Some people get locked into thinking about us in certain ways, and feel threatened when we make positive changes in our lives. Itís unfortunate that she had a negative experience with her weight loss, but that is her history, not your future. Pay no attention to her. There are many, many, many success stories out there.

You arenít going to change your stepmother. All you can do is change how you respond to her, and how you let her affect you. Just recognize her subtle and not so subtle sabotage attempts for what they are and try not to get sucked in by them. If she gives you ďfatĒ clothes, accept the gifts graciously, and then return them for something your size. If you make a big deal of it out, or act really hurt, youíre just playing her game.

You deserve to feel very good about yourself. Youíve been incredibly successful in meeting your weight loss goals, and youíre healthier and happier person than you were a few months ago. 2005 is going to be a great year for you! :hat:

Hang in there.
Florafae

KandiceS
12-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Dena- welcome back! glad you got over the uti, never had one but I heard they were plainful. if you have some pictures post them! I'd love to see them.

Thanks for your support and encouragement Flora- that's what I needed- thank you.

deleted
12-18-2004, 09:30 AM
:grouphug: Hey girls! I'm back from my trip to the Western part of the state (Kandice territory!:D ). Went over Weds. for brother's birthday, then was at sister's preparing for Mom's nursing home party Thursday, then party on Friday. Got home last night.... had a wonderful time, enjoyed giving the staff party (they work so hard!) but too much food, of course. But I'm still hoping to lose a pound by Monday!!!:^: Will write more later............. proud of you all! Dena, those UTI's are MISERY! Sorry you had one.......... Haven't had one in a while, thank God!:dizzy: Hugs to all........... catch you later. Must leave for water aerobics now... will do weights tomorrow.

:cheer: for us all!

KandiceS
12-20-2004, 10:07 AM
been bad this weekend- ate whatever I wanted to- toasted cheese sandwich with 2 slices of white bread, chocolates, twix bars.... bad... but only up 2 lbs- I'm still 178 naked at home in the morning. weighing in on wednesday so I have to be good the rest of the week. hoping for a 180 or less on the curves scale (with clothes and shoes on obviously). Back on the meal target today- 48 carbs today.

Have a great monday- christmas week!

deleted
12-20-2004, 10:23 AM
:flow2: :dance: TWO POUNDS OFF THIS WEEK! :dance: :flow2:

I am now weighing 203 pounds, and I'm ecstatic!:D I've lost 8 - 1/2 pounds on our Merry Christmas Challenge. I think, when we started, I said eight to twelve pounds. Maybe by Wednesday, when I start my Christmas "break", I will have dropped a little more!:D I thought that party/mountain trip last week would de-rail me, but I managed it, and I think my body was ready to "drop." I am big-time HAPPY here, ladies! :flow1:

Thank you ALL :grouphug:, for your support as we do this! I appreciate your help so much!:^: I wish you all the best as you do your weigh-ins this week! And a special thanks to you, Dena, for encouraging us in this.... :balloons: to you!

I worked out with weights and did the bike yesterday, will do water aerobics tonight, then weights again tomorrow, then water aerobic Wednesday morning.......... WHEW!!!!!!!!! Trying to burn as many calories as I can WHILE I can. Then my company arrives Thursday night........:) Hope you'll all have a wonderful Christmas week! Hugs to you.... :D

KandiceS
12-20-2004, 10:50 AM
203 wow! go bonnie! you'll be in Onederland soon! :cheer:

Florafae
12-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Hurry for you, Bonnie! :dancer: I am so impressed that you could spend time visiting relatives and still lose weight.

Kandice, I know youíll have a good weigh-in on Wednesday. :D

Iíve had a hard time diet-wise with my Dad in town. Even though Iíve stayed within my calorie range and watched my portions, Iím up .5 pounds this week. Iím hoping itís water retention due to the salty-type meats Iíve been fixing for him.

As I mentioned, he lives alone and one of the things he really enjoys when he comes to visit is having me cook him ďrealĒ meals like my mother used to make when she was alive. It seems the least I can do for him. Iíve been fixing a big salad with every meal, so thereís a healthy alternative available, but as my younger son said yesterday, ďHow can anybody pass up mashed-potatoes and gravy?Ē

On the plus side, Iíve done really well dealing with the Christmas goodies that are arriving daily.

Hereís hoping we all have a good week.

Florafae

deleted
12-21-2004, 12:52 PM
:D :D:D :) :) :)

ANOTHER POUND OFF TODAY!!! Yee-HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

THAT'S 9 - 1/2 POUNDS FOR OUR CHALLENGE!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Will come back to talk to you all later! Hang in there, Florafae.... you probably have had a lot of salt! That always does it to me!

So much to do.... gotta run! :grouphug:

KandiceS
12-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Bonnie- that's great! keep it up!

flora- 1/2 a lb- don't worry about it! It'll be off by saturday I'm sure!

I'm going to be in Maine next week so won't be online much next week, but after the new year, anyone interested in setting another goal date? valentines day? my wedding day (3/5)? I'd love to continue with you ladies!

deleted
12-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Absolutely, Kandice! Will get back with you on it........:)

Okay, Almond Squares baked, chocolate chips cookies in oven............ tree practically done........... gotta run to food store........... cleaning still to do........ Christmas, Christmas, Christmas!:o:)

Hugs, all! :D

Florafae
12-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Yes, yes, yes, Kandice. Let's set a new challenge once the Christmas season comes to an end and we are all, more or less, back to our usual routines. In case I get busy and don't have time to post the rest of the week, I hope you have a good time in Maine and that things go well with your stepmother.

Bonnie, sounds as if you're moving at full accleration and will have everything ready by the time your family members arrive. Congratulations on another pound lost! Your cookies sound delicious.

I'm off to the store to buy groceries for Christmas dinner. Our family tradition is to have a big BBQ dinner on Christmas eve and then eat leftovers for a couple of days. It's really nice to be able to kick back, relax and spend time with family and friends, rather than slaving away in the kitchen. It's a wonderful Christmas present.

Christmas is almost here!
Florafae

Den@
12-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Hi Everyone!

I just want to wish everyone a Merry, Merry Christmas before we all leave for various places for our Christmas celebrations. :)

It was a real pleasure meeting all of you (especially Bonnie, Kandice and Florafae--my main gals who kept our challenge going in spite of me leaving for my California trip). You gals really rock!! And I want to congratulate you for losing weight during the Christmas holidays!! And helping me not gain through the holidays like I usually do.

I feel so proud of all of us! :D

Yes, let's start up a new challenge for the coming year! I want to continue to exercise, drink my water and eat right, and you gals are my inspiration.

So, just in case I don't have time to post again, to all of you I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Love and Hugs,

KandiceS
12-22-2004, 02:57 PM
Just wanted to say happy holidays to everyone- happy new year!

I weighed today and lost another lb this month (after up and down and up...)
so for the challenege I lost 9 lbs and wanted to lose 8.

still 9 lbs away from my next goal so... we'll talk after the new year!

Thanks everyone for your support! :)

deleted
12-23-2004, 12:24 AM
:) :D :) :D :) :D HO HO HO!!!

I want to wish all you special ladies a wonderful Christmas and a fabulous New Year! You have added a lot of warmth and sunshine to my life the last few weeks................ the moral support you have shown me on this difficult journey we're on is very much appreciated!

God bless us everyone! :flow2:

:) :D :) :D :) :D MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!

Florafae
12-23-2004, 03:11 PM
:) I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :) Thank you so much for your friendship and support. :D

When I weighed in on Wednesday morning, I was down 1.5 pounds from Monday, so the extra weight was indeed water. This brings my total weight loss for the Challenge to 13 pounds!!! I am so happy about it. I have NEVER lost weight during the holidays. Usually I gain 5 pounds or more. What a difference it makes to have a group like ours!

I look forward to setting our next challenge when the New Year begins.

Safe passage to those of you who are travelling, and may 2005 be the best year ever for all of us.

:merry: Florafae

deleted
12-28-2004, 11:00 AM
:coffee: Good morning, Fair Ladies! How is everyone? :)

Congratulations, Florafae!!! :flow1: :balloons: to you! So happy for your success!

I woke up Sunday to an amazing thing............ I had DROPPED two more pounds, even though I'd starting eating *more normally* on Wednesday, so that put my loss at 34 pounds off since June 22, and 11 - 1/2 pounds off for our Challenge! :D :dance: :D JOY!!!

I hope you've all had a wonderful holiday season so far, and I look forward to our next Challenge after January 1st!!!

Cheers, everybody! :flow2:

Den@
12-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi Everyone!

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas! :) Now it's time to gear up for the new year! All we all ready to get started again? I miss all of you gals!! In spite of the holidays, I've been trying to be good.

How about calling our new challenge the Valentine's Day challenge. :)

Wow, Bonnie, what great news!! That's fantastic! Florafae and Kandice, you did an excellent job, too!!

(Hugs),

deleted
12-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Kandice, I managed to miss your post above somehow!:o Congratulations on losing another pound.............. so proud of you! :flow2: I love this group! :grouphug: Cheers, all!:)

Den@
12-30-2004, 05:40 PM
Hi Gals!

I'm going to start a new challenge called "The Valentinies," with the enphasis on tiny. :) Please look under the support groups thread. Everyone is welcome!

Happy New Year, Everyone!
(Hugs),

Den@
01-01-2005, 12:49 PM
I thought I would bring this thread up again for any of our old buddies that want to join us under our new thread called The Valentinies.

Happy New Year!
(Hugs),

grandma57
01-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Hello well I am so sorry I never made my challenge I think I reversed it I gain 10 lbs BUT a new day a new year what can I say I am going to try again I dont know what got over me I gave myself a good talking to so hope that will do some good to day I did my one mile walk and hope to do it again before this day is over ....Bonnie keep it going never let up like me I started to give in and never stop till now so take care Jean

Den@
01-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Jean, please join us under our new thread called "The Valentinies." We're glad you are back! We shall make our goals this year!
Hugs,