General Diet Plans and Questions - Calorie Counters #2

View Full Version : Calorie Counters #2

jlnah
05-01-2001, 09:29 AM
Hi everyone! This thread is about a bunch of women who are tired of paying money to others to tell them how to lose weight. We've all been through several different fad diets and decided enough! We all know that to lose or maintain your weight you need to watch your caloric intake and exercise! Please join us for support and humor. We'd love to hear from you! If you want to catch up on us see the thread "any other calorie counters out there?"

Lisa- Thank you, thank you, thank you! :) Of course I wasn't offended! I needed the pep talk. I did great yesterday. It's amazing how we're able to bounce back after a bad spell. I love the beginning of the month. It's a way to make a fresh start! Let's all make it a fantastic month of May!

Laura

bootwoman
05-01-2001, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the new thread. I hope we have a lot more counters join our board.
I'm really feeling defeated today, so I hope there are a lot of good, motivating posts today and throughout the week. It's really hard when you have been losing steadily and then hit a brick wall. I know it is a normal part of losing weight, but it is hard to keep my spirits up when nothing has happened in a week and a half. If any one has any ideas, please respond! Thanks.
Ramona

daytona1
05-01-2001, 01:54 PM
Hi bootwoman,

It is so hard when the scales don't show a loss. How often do you weigh yourself? I try to only weigh in once a week. Maybe you can focus on other things besides the scale. How are your clothes fitting? Do you have more energy? If you been doing all the right things (or most of the right things) you will see the scale go down, sometimes it just takes a while to catch up, especially if you been losing for a while. Maybe you could read some inspiring mags or wt loss books and of course come to the 3fat sight as often as possible.

Good luck, and don't give up.

Daytona1

FeistyFilly
05-01-2001, 06:32 PM
Missed reading y'all post.
Glad a new thread was started.

You know what this is such a great motivating group.
When I first came to this board I enjoyed reading other threads but often wonder with all the WW threads, Richard Simmons thread, Larry North, Slim Fast, Why weren't there any calorie counter thread? Someone must of read my mind cause it popped up.

So glad to find my calorie counting sisters (PS brothers) here!:D

jlnah
05-01-2001, 10:50 PM
Hi Ramona! Try shaking up your exercise routine a little. If you walk, try adding a minute of jogging every once in a while. Try jump roping for a few minutes, too. That burns a lot of calories!
Or you may try adding even an extra 5 minutes to your exercise time. The extra calories you burn will add up. Just a thought!

I'm going to walk 75 miles this month. I've only got 72.5 miles to go! :)

I kept my calories in check today. I kept busy so I wouldn't snack! Happy, healthy eating to you all!
Laura

caloriecruncher
05-02-2001, 06:50 AM
Good Morning

Jlnah, glad to hear you're keeping those calories critters in check.

I agree I hope more of us band together and keep things going. I'm happy the new thread has started and I hope everyone continues to do well!

262/227/160 all by counting calories
2000 works for me!

daytona1
05-02-2001, 07:57 AM
Hi all,

What calorie range do all of you try and stay at? I am trying to lose a few pounds at this time so I been around 1100 most days and I always eat more on the weekends. I am pretty much at my goal but I seem to gain 2-3 pounds every time I turn around. My exercise is minimin, walking is about it. Any input would be appreciated.

Daytona1

LisaSue
05-02-2001, 08:46 AM
Hi Everyone!

Oh, it's absoulutely beautiful outside today. We had a little bit of rain last night, and everything smells wonderful. Puts me in a great frame of mind.

Laura: WTG :D on keeping on top of the calorie counting. I didn't do all that great yesterday, I went over my calorie intake by 300 calories, but I took my dog for a mile walk and mowed the grass (45 minute job), so I'm not beating myself up over it. I would have before, but no more. I'm glad :) the pep talk worked. Just remember, when I'm in a funk, please give me a kick in the rear and get me motivated again. ;)

Ramona: I had just read that it takes your body 6 months for your new way of eating to "stick" and it's more difficult than you can imagine to go back to old eating ways. Hubby and I've cut back on fattier foods, and over the past weekend I bought frozen hamburger patties (80% lean) they were on sale, and boy did he and I pay. We both cramped up and were running to the bathroom. I've noticed that "side-effect" since we've cut calories and paid just a little more attention to the fat content.
Also, now again, I read this in a health magazine, maybe it was Prevention, not sure, but when you hit the plateau, it's because your body is adjusting to the new way of eating and exercising and just keep up doing what you've been doing and even as Emril would say, "Kick it up a notch" once a week, and/or add an extra 5 minutes, or while you're walking, jog for a few minutes, walk a few, alternate, that helped me.

Daytona1: I'm 5' 8 1/2" and I'm supposed to have around 1400 calories a day. I try and fluctuate it by 200 calories. My Dr. told me that depending on your bone / muscle structure and activity level will determine your calorie intake. Too little of an intake, you'll gain all that's lost plus more when you start eating more.

The 200 calorie fluctuation is: If your intake for the day is 1400, one day have 1200, the next 1400, the next 1200 or even 1000, the next day have 1400, etc... it's supposed to keep your metabolism "guessing" and not getting used to a certain amount day in and day out. A personal trainer told me this - a friends brother, I don't have a personal trainer, and this seems to be helping.

Well, I best get going and I apologize for rambling on and on, but I hope everyone stays well and has a great day!

Lisa :)

jlnah
05-02-2001, 08:49 AM
Daytona1-
you probably shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories per day. Your body may go into starve mode and hang onto every ounce it can. By feeding it a little more but exercising instead you'll have more energy and may burn more calories than the extra you're eating. There are 1600 calories in pound. That means you have to exercise to burn off those extra calories. Try adding 5-10 minutes to your exercise routine or try jump-roping for a few minutes after a walk. That's a fantastic calorie burner. Before you know it they will be falling off you! Good luck!
I try to stay below 1500 calories per day. I am 5'2", weigh 145lbs. and am shooting for 120lbs. I lost 6 pounds last month. I feel pretty good about this because I don't feel like I'm starving and figure I'll be able to keep it off.

Laura

QuilterInVA
05-02-2001, 01:22 PM
Actually, there are 3500 calories in a pound, not 1600 as previously reported.

Calorie counting will always work...just be sure you're eating a well-balanced diet and don't go below 1200 calories or your body will go into starvation mode and hang onto every ounce!

bootwoman
05-02-2001, 01:56 PM
I think the starvation mode thing may be happening to me. I'm 41 so I go back to the old school when our mothers counted calories and the less the better! I really slowed down as far as losing and the less I lose the more I cut down on my eating. I think I was just programed to do that. Also, I find myself just plain not wanting to eat. I've been eating a lot of the same foods and I think I'm just bored with it! Some days I know I've barely gotten to 1000 calories. Today, I will try to eat at least 1300 and see what happens. Keep posting everyone. I work with all men all day long and have only men in my family. My women friends have all moved away and it really helps me to have all of you to visit with. Thanks!
Ramona

FeistyFilly
05-02-2001, 03:47 PM
I keep studing allot of recipe and different things ya can do with food and stuff with out it becoming to boring. I have been adding this to my site that I haven't finished yet. but I think it would be neat to share ideas in what food we have been eatting. Either main course or a snack! Different ways of making things with the same piece of food. For example

There is this bag of Grilled chicken breast strips I buy over at Sam's It is about 120 cal per 3 oz which is a fairly good amount of meat in my book. I have done different things with this chicken meat from using it as side meats with veggies, Taco makings, buritos, enchaladas, and has work great for a bake potato makings instead of using turkey ham or bacon bits it has worked real great as a bake potato topping. Just endless possablities with this bag of chicken strips.

Taco idea: Get your chicken strips cooked, weigh out 120 cal worth, buy Elchalada taco shells. each shell 50 cal a piece, I take one slice of cheese and tare it in three pieces to put in three taco shells, I'll buy a bag of BirdsEye green bell pepper and onion in a bag and defrost them or warm them in the skillet with a little bit of pam spay, sprinkle few in my taco, Some Rotel Salsa, and lettuce. Out of the three tacos I calculated the calories at 337cal

chicken strips 120cal 3 oz
3 taco shells 150cal
Birds Eye green bell pepper and onions 25cal 3oz
Rotel Salsa 2 TBLSP 15 cal (I use 4)
Lettuce 12 cal per cup (I probably use less then a cup but I count it as a whole anyway)

My bake potato today (which I had to slice in half to make a medium potato out of it

One medium bake potato (148 g) 120 cal
2 TBLSP no fat Daisy Sour Cream 20 Cal
2 TBLSP Rotel Salsa 15 Cal
3oz of chicken strips chopped 120cal
Two tblsp of butter buds 5 cal per table spoon.
Equals to
285 cal

Just some food ideas so far.

FeistyFilly
05-02-2001, 03:52 PM
forgot the friendly 60 cal from the cheese that I strip in three pieces.
397 cal usually I go ahead and write 400 in my cal book!
Usually what I'll have when I have a taco urge.

Sage Ca
05-02-2001, 08:40 PM
It's good to find other people counting calories !!!
I started April 1st and I want to lose 13 pounds
for July 1st. The first week I lost 3 pounds but since then it's been 1/2 or 1 pound a week.
I can relate to Daytona1. I really am not into exercising.
The maddenig part is that my husband lost 13 pounds in 1 month & I lost 5 1/2 and he wasn't even trying.
( I just cook much heathier now.I keep a journal and write everyting I eat to keep track of those calories.
I stay below 1500 calories but I kind of cheat on week- ends.I drink a lot of water;they say that it's suppose to help;any comments ?
Nice to meet other calorie counting dieters.
I thought I was a lost breed or too old fashion.

FeistyFilly
05-03-2001, 12:34 AM
I stick around between the 1,200 to 1,400 cal range.
Water is very important. It is not only important in losing weight it also important to your body as well. I have found out since I wing my self off of Diet soda pops cause I would really drink a whole lot of them. Heck I lived off of them. I found out that if I can drink up to 6 to 8 12oz glass of water, I become less thursty during my work out. Mostly I walk. I find walking being the best, less boring, and easiest to do plus I love being outside. My exercise concest anywhere from Walking first priority, to playing fetch for an hour with my dog, swimming sometimes this summer, to working out on exercise machines my least favorite cause I can get bored with it for a while or get distracted!

257/244/137

Sage Ca
05-03-2001, 08:10 AM
Can anyone suggest a good book or a site to keep me motivated; I like to do a lot of research when I get into something;it helps me to focus .I weigh myself once a week (on Monday,so I can behave on the week-ends).
It sometimes kind of discouraging...but this time I know I will succeed.........

daytona1
05-03-2001, 08:53 AM
Thanks to all of you for posting the calorie info. It helps to know what other people are eating so I can make necessary adjustments. I am now eating 1200 on weekdays and I will allow myself up to 1500 on weekends if absolutely necessary!! Depends how desprate I get for a treat LOL.

The nicer weather is finally here and not a minute to soon. Sure makes it easier to get out and walk. I have a health walker inside but it gets so boring if I have to use it more than once a week. I have even tried music and tv, I am a true couch potato. Geez could that have something to do with the weight problem???

Sage Ca,
Books I have read are Now that You've Lost It, this book has info on negative and positive self talk, pros and cons of wt mgmt, coping with social situations and relationship issues. The author is Joyce Nash, Ph.D. and also the complete Idiot's guide to Losing Weight. This one has a work sheet to see how many calories you need a day and lots of good info in easy to understand terms.

Hope everyone has a great low calorie day.

Deb

MrsJim
05-03-2001, 10:01 AM
On 3FC, I'll probably forever be associated with this book:

"The Fat of the Land" by Michael Fumento - GREAT book!!!

Also "Thin for Life: 10 Keys to Success from People who have Lost Weight and Kept It Off" by Anne M. Fletcher, M.S., R.D. What better authorities to find out how to permanently lose weight than from people who've actually DONE it??

Both these books should be easy to locate in your local library - or try www.half.com - I just picked up a copy of "Thin for Life" for 89 cents plus shipping!!

caloriecruncher
05-03-2001, 10:52 AM
Good morning everyone!!

"The Fat of the Land" by Michael Fumento
This book is terrific....one of my favorites

"The Calorie Controller Handbook"
This book is really good also, explains a lot of stuff along the lines of Michael but is more of a guidebook. It's really a cool kind of thing. Shows people how to lose by counting calories. They also has a weekly email news thingie.

www.geocities.com/caloriecontroller

Oh, someone asked how many calories we eat. I eat around 2000 a day.

Moving on, I've squeezed out another pound ...yes! hi fiving myself..hehe

Hey, how much water is everyone drinking?

I hope all of you do wonderful today.

260/226/160

bootwoman
05-03-2001, 11:09 AM
Good morning everyone! As I wrote yesterday, I don't think I am eating enough calories to sustain my weight loss. Last night I ate a larger dinner than usual and I do feel better today, even though the scale doesn't show any loss. I also took a nice long walk, which I haven't been doing. As for water, I try to drink between 64 and 96 ounces daily. I am going to try and keep my calorie intake at around 1250-1300 per day.
I am also going to pick up a couple of the books you mentioned. I am a read-a-holic!
Have a great day everyone,
Ramona
212/175/135

jlnah
05-03-2001, 04:06 PM
Hi!
QuilterinVA- Thank you for catching my 1600 calorie mistake. I actually knew the correct number but had just been calculating my mileage for the day and had 1600(meters) on the brain. With two babies running around the house the brain is usually mush! Sorry!

I am inspired by the last few entries. I haven't been paying too much attention to my calories lately, just making a mental note in my head. I'm going to start writing it down again because I'm having a hard time keeping up! I also have a hard time drinking all the water. I never used to drink 64 oz. of anything before. I'm just not a drinking kind of person. I have to force myself to chug the water. Yuck! It makes me feel jiggly all the time with it sloshing around in my stomach!

Feistyfilly- Here is my one food tip. I love to eat salads at salad bars but could never come up with the same taste at home. It was always such a pain! I found a way that is easier for me and I can have a salad every day with the hassle being only once a week. I buy one bag of pre-mixed salad(or you could do it yourself) and one bag of baby spinach and mix it into a large tupperware lined with a paper towel.(This sucks up all the moisture instead of it making your lettuce soggy.) I use a divided tupperware to store all my salad bar favorites: red onion, broccoli, cauliflower, green onions, raisins, green peppers, etc. Then all I have to do is toss what I want into a bowl and eat! Great for taking to work with you too. You could always add a sliced, grilled chicken breast to it to make a meal. I chop all the veggies on Sunday and it usually lasts all week. If your feeding it to the whole family you might need to adjust the amounts.

I love to read Shape, Fitness and Walking magazines for inspiration. There are new workouts and yummy new foods in every issue. They also have success stories of people that have been dieting. Those are always my favorites!

Happy, healthy eating to you all!
Laura

Sage Ca
05-04-2001, 10:22 AM
What a great place to find motivation;this board will help me I'm sure. I wrote all those titles of books down & I'm going to check them out today. Can someone explain to me what is bad about diet Pepsi ( that's my treat I've been drinking it for years), but from what I have been reading it is bad if you are trying to lose weight. I checked out www.half .com What a prefect site for bargains;I have to find out if I can get those prices here in Canada.
Have a good healthy day everyone!

bootwoman
05-04-2001, 11:04 AM
Sage, any diet drinks will undermine your weight loss. When you drink something with aspartame in it, your body basically still thinks it is taking in sugar. It causes a complete insulin imbalance and thus causes your body to store fat. I no longer drink sodas of any kind, but I would drink the real thing before I would ever think of drinking or eating anything with aspartame. The side effects of this product are horrible in some people. If you would like to know more, you may e-mail me and I will give you a web site to visit. The Centers for Disease Control has a very interesting, very scary report on aspartame. Please, whenever possible, just drink good old water. Your body will thank you for it!
Ramona
ramwoods@cswnet.com

MrsJim
05-04-2001, 02:09 PM
Diet drinks will NOT undermine your weight loss. However, diet drinks (as well as coffee/tea/etc) do not count as water and will dehydrate you, so make sure that you still drink at least 8 glasses of H20 per day.

Aspartame is NOT harmful (unless you happen to have the genetic disease phenylketonuria). As I've stated previously, my father (who worked as a food chemist from 1959 to 1992 when he retired - also has a medical degree from UNC) worked with aspartame starting in the 70's. My three sisters, myself, and most of our friends were consuming aspartame pretty regularly (Dad brought home "testers" - formulas he was working on - as well as a giant sack of NutraSweet gumballs) well before any aspartame products were available on the market in the US. None of us have been affected by any of the so-called "diseases" that aspartame is said to cause. I have never been pregnant (by choice) but my sisters all drank aspartame drinks (and used products containing aspartame) during their pregnancies - all seven children were born healthy and remain so today (my eldest nephew is a star athlete and honor roll student, in fact).

Dad used to get people asking about aspartame's safety. His response would be akin to "Do you think I would feed POISON to my children?"

Following is a Q&A I copied from the Mayo Clinic's website: http://www.mayohealth.org/home?id=HQ00267

"Aspartame is a low-calorie sweetener composed of two amino acids, aspartic acid and phenylalanine, and methanol (an alcohol). The amino acids are found naturally in milk, meat and dried beans. Methanol is a natural component of fruits and vegetables.

After consuming food or drink containing aspartame, the body breaks down the sweetener into its various components. So aspartame itself no longer exists and never enters the blood stream. The amino acids and methanol are then processed the same as if they'd come from foods. The amino acids are used by the body for building muscle or for energy. The methanol is converted into carbon dioxide and water. (Although methanol is an alcohol, foods sweetened with aspartame yield a very small amount of it. In fact, the amount of methanol that results from drinking a 12-ounce can of soda sweetened with aspartame is less than half that obtained from drinking an 8-ounce glass of fruit juice.)

It's important to note that individuals with the genetic disease phenylketonuria (PKU) cannot properly utilize the amino acid phenylalanine. They must strictly limit their intake of foods containing this amino acid, such as meat, milk, nuts and foods sweetened with aspartame.

If a food contains aspartame, it will appear on the ingredient list on the product's label. The terms NutraSweet and Equal are brand names that also indicate the product contains aspartame."

Here's a Quackwatch article with lots of links to FDA Consumer, the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, Urban Legends, etc. regarding aspartame:

http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEducation/QA/aspartame.html

On Michael Fumento's website http://www.fumento.com/ check for an article called "NutraSweet Fuss Amounts to Sweet Nothings".

Aspartame also doesn't have anything to do with 'insulin spikes' since your bod doesn't recognize it as sugar - since it doesn't contain sucrose, fructose or any of those other -oses that signal the presence of sugar.

I checked the CDC website and I believe the article you are referring to is http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000426.htm - "Evaluation of Consumer Complaints Related to Aspartame Use" which basically states that the results were 'inconclusive' as to whether the wide myriad of symptoms complained about by the consumers had ANYTHING to do with the use of aspartame.

Sorry to get so lengthy - just cutting through the rumors and BS that has long been associated with this product! Take care.

bootwoman
05-04-2001, 02:44 PM
I have also read numerous info on the subject as well as spoken to medical personel. The insulin reaction comes straight from those medical professionals. I am so sorry you think my advice is BS. Perhaps this product has never bothered you in any way. All I can speak from is my personal experience. You have your opinion and I would never presume to judge you or your ideas. I will certainly think twice before trying to help agin.

MrsJim
05-04-2001, 03:17 PM
...I should have clarified - I didn't mean the BS was from you specifically...

The Betty Martini/Nancy Markle email "warning" against aspartame has been circulated probably since the internet started becoming popular. Unfortunately there's a lot of erroneous info on the 'Net and it takes a lot of work to dig through to the truth.

Aspartame is - except for a few people - a perfectly safe and useful product...if it helps people stay on track diet-wise (by substituting Diet Coke for Coke Classic or Sugar Free Jell-O for regular, for example) and doesn't hurt them there's no reason for them NOT to use it.

The only real problem I can see with the product is in people's heads - i.e. when they tell themselves "I'm having a diet soda, so I can have french fries/ice cream/ whatever" (Laura Fraser, in "Losing It" quotes a leading nutritionist as calling this the "Diet Coke and donut strategy".) I wouldn't blame aspartame itself for that as much as our ability to rationalize pretty much any excuse for having a forbidden treat (speaking for myself here!).

Summing up - I'm sorry if you got the wrong impression - but I don't want my fellow dieters to be scared into not using a product that is, for 99% of people, perfectly safe.

Urban Legend's link: http://about.com/culture/urbanlegends/library/blasp.htm

FeistyFilly
05-05-2001, 02:14 PM
Unbelievable! I am not sure I should be happy or worried but I lost a whole 4 1/2 lb this week.
Happy! Happy I am!, but I am surprise that much came off this week. Worried on the fact that I have read that you should not lose no more then 2lb a week.
Well that is about 17 Lb lost since I started my calorie counting back in March. :)

I bet another pound came off of me from hearing the tornado sirings going off last night! :(
Nothing hit here though. Thank God!

Sage Ca
05-05-2001, 02:55 PM
Congratulations FiestyFilly !
What a thrill; every little bit helps
I went to town looking for a book.The only one I could find was Thin for Life.It seem very good.I really would have liked to find "Calorie Controller Handbook" as well as "The Fat of the Land".I will read this one for now and then I will see if I can find those on line.I could get it from Amazon but by the time I pay the exchange it gets pretty pricey.
Enjoy the weekend;weather is beautiful here!

jlnah
05-05-2001, 06:30 PM
FeistyFilly-Where in Texas are you? The sirens and stronger storms missed us. We're to the east of Dallas. I saw the damage the tornado caused and said a little thankful prayer that it didn't come our way. Glad you're okay!
Laura

FeistyFilly
05-05-2001, 07:33 PM
Jalnah: I live down in DeSoto southwest of Dallas Metroplex. Yep they sure did. They sound off the sirens around here after a report of a wall cloud being spotted out in Cedar Hill coming this way. Nothing touched us that I can see. Feel very sad for the people out in Mansfield and Grand Pairie.

Question to anyone: Does anyone know of a site with calculations telling you how much calories you burn doing brisk walking, brisk walking with the dog, stair stepping, exc, exc? for ever how many min.?

daytona1
05-05-2001, 07:49 PM
Hi FeistyFilly,

You might try Prevention.com, they have a lot of different links to calculate activity levels doing different types of exercise.

How is everyone's weekend going? I wish mine was going better, we had a neighborhood garage sale and boy did I get stressed out and over eat. I sure hope tomorrow is a better day calorie wise. I bet I ate 1700 cal and my top is supposed to be 1500. Used to be I would stay in control, but lately I been slipping back into my old ways. The pounds sure come back faster than they go off. Well have a good weekend everyone.

Daytona

morna
05-06-2001, 06:22 PM
FiestyFilly:

There is a web site, cyberdiet.com, that has an activity calculator. You just pick your activity from their long list and enter the duration and it calculates the calories burned.

Sage Ca
05-07-2001, 01:21 PM
Hi,
Today was my weigh in day;I lost one pound.I was hoping for more because I was really active last week with my spring cleaning and so careful with my calories.
While reading Thin for Life I am realizing that I am changing my way of eating therefore it has to be something I can live with and it is better for me to lose it slowly and keep it off.Let's hope I can stay determined and will be able to fit into some of my summer clothes this year.

morrigan
05-07-2001, 02:57 PM
I counted calories religiously for months and lost 55 lbs. Recently, however, I have been guessing my calories, and not writing them down. The first few weeks my weight creeped up 5 lbs, but now I have held steady since about February. What I really want to do is just get back on a strict regime and get rid of these last 30 lbs or so. I am only 5'2" and 150lbs is still pretty overweight.

livein
05-08-2001, 09:43 AM
How do I determine how many calories I need to have. I have seen some people on 1200-1300. I have also seen others on 2000. I have 'surfed' the web a bit to see what I could find and I also found very conflicting amounts. Can someone point me in the right direction. I am 5' 7, 27 years old and I weigh 175.

Thanks

morrigan
05-08-2001, 10:40 AM
I think alot of it depends on your activity level and metabolism. I went to several websites that told you how many calories you need per day. http://www.ivillage.com/diet/tools/healthcalc/ www.fitday.com www.dietwatch.com http://www.caloriecontrol.org/ are website where you can find this info. And not surprisingly, they all give somewhat different numbers.

I found that when I was active I could lose about a 1 lb every 1.5 to 2 weeks on 1800 calories a day. If I dropped down to 1400 calories and stayed actived I could lose a lb or more a week. While inactive (I had surgery this winter) I would eat 1200 calories a day and lose maybe a lb every three weeks. As you can see, the activity really made a difference.

Pick a number somewhere between 1200 and 2000 depending on your activity level and growling tummy requirements and count calories for a good four weeks, toss out the results from week one (mostly water loss) and toss out the week you have your period. And then look out how much you have lost compared to your calorie intake and your exercise in an average week. Then adjust accordingly to how fast you want to lose.

Make sure to take a vitamin and calcium supplement if you are eating under 1500 calories a day. It is really tough to get in all your nutrients when you go that low. And try not to eat under 1200-1000 calories very often or your body will think it is starving.

willbethin
05-09-2001, 07:24 AM
hello i would like to jump right in here please, i looked up broccoli on caloriescount.org and raw it is .2 fat and 12 calories, and cooked it is .4 fat and 46 calories, now if i am only steaming it without adding anything to it, how can it be so different in calories, cause i am trying to eat healthier, but to me 46 calories is alot for 1/2 cup of broccoli. any input would be appreciated. thank you
Debi

QuilterInVA
05-09-2001, 08:34 AM
Measure out a half cup of broccoli and then steam it. You will find you now have less than half a cup. Thus more calories, etc. for the cooked version. If you have ever made pasta sauce from scratch, you can really visualize this concentration.

willbethin
05-09-2001, 08:57 AM
thanks susan, dont know if i can do this calorie counting, but i have just been eating less and it worked for about a month, cause i know i was eating a lot less then i was, but now i think i have to get more strict, as i only lost 5 lbs in one month. it is tough trying to find the calories in everything you put in your mouth, i tried to go on some diet calculators online and still cant find some items, and it is a pain trying to find out. maybe i will just stick to foods that i know the calories are right on the package. thanks

Sage Ca
05-09-2001, 12:57 PM
Hi Willbethin,

You lost 5 pounds in one month;that is very good;it is better not to lose it to quickly if you want to keep it off. I have a little book called The Pocket Fat Counter
Broccoli raw 1/2 c.....12 calories .......Fat..less than 1 cal.
Broccoli, cooked 1/2 c...... 22 calories....... Fat..less ......
Good luck !

willbethin
05-10-2001, 07:22 AM
hello, thanks for the info. how have you been doing?? i started counting at breakfast and lost it again by dinner. but last night i got my monthly so. i can now get really strict on calorie counting, i wont have the urge to cheat. i hate using pms to cheat but i really do get so hungry for a couple of days, that nothing seems to satisfy me. well my fifth weigh in is tomorrow, i will let you know how it goes. well i have only just started to count calories, but i have been on and off different diets for one month, ww low carb and no diet approach, that is how i lost the first 5 lbs. now i have to really start paying attention to everything that goes in my mouth. sorry for rambling, but i just have to talk about this stuff. thanks Debi

Sage Ca
05-10-2001, 01:05 PM
It's great to have this board to talk about this.
I started low fat eating April 1st. I write down everything I eat as well as how many calories;I make a point of staying below 1500 calories. I drink as much water as I can; I weigh myself each Monday (so far I lost only 7 pounds)My problem is that I am not into exercises so I just do my best to be as active as possible. I am really determined to make it work this time! there's lots of information to keep you going on the internet.
Be Positive! We can do it!

kd580
05-10-2001, 01:28 PM
on ww, they taught us not to count calories for non starch veggies. they were unlimited.

QuilterInVA
05-10-2001, 02:54 PM
Kid580, I know what you mean about not having to count non-starchy vegetables. However, if you look at the calorie count on some vegetables, e.g. carrots, beets, onions, etc. you will see that if you aren't careful you can take in a lot of calories on these. Just be aware of the nutritional value of what you are eating.

willbethin
05-11-2001, 06:32 AM
hi sage, sounds like you have a plan, congrats on the 7 lbs, way to go. as of today i lost another pound, so i am right behind you with 6 lbs lost. i must confess i am not counting calories, i am looking at how many calories are in something, then decide whether or not i will eat it, but i am just trying to eat less and eat lowfat. more veggies and salads. keep up the good work. Debi

FeistyFilly
05-11-2001, 11:56 AM
Well, today was my weigh in day and gain two pounds. pretty much a blow to my ego
after losing 4lb last week 17 in total. now 15 in total. It has been a stressful week.
My horses got out and I thought someone has stoled them. Ran around town looking for
them found out county had them. It costed me to get them out. My neighbors won't leave
the fence alone so I locked them up on the other side of the field. Looking for some land
closer to home to put them on. Mean while I think I will be selling out. So I am going through
high stress over this mess. I sent one of my horses with someone else cause she just needs
to be train to be rideable. Maybe it will straighten a few kinks out of her.

I come home and parts of the street has been under construction found out I couldn't cross the
construction over a water line break. Talking about a mud fest. I blew my mind and went to
Luby's for a bit. Figure it would be a place for me to spend an hour on top of that had not had a m
meal all day.

DANGER ZONE! Wish I was as smart as my mom and took the bake fish or such but NOOO
I didn't do that. I had a nice BIG FATTING MEAL!!!! a NICE SALTY FATTING MEAL. I figure blowing
one day wouldn't hurt but it must of have. or that and those potatos all week.

I had a bake potato all week and I am thinking. I must not weigh it right cause it says Med.
potato 124g. Well I put they potato on the scale and the silly thing weigh down 400g I cut
one in half one day and it weigh down that much but the rest of the time I didn't I ate a whole
baked potato. So I imagine I messed up there to. GRRRRRRRRRR

Oh I hate these two pounds I gain. GRRRR!!
back on the wagon today!!! :( :( :(

NevadaChick
05-11-2001, 03:15 PM
Hey gang,

I have been lurking for a while and post regularly on the "Alternative Group" thread, but since I am now a calorie counter (thanks, Doc), I thought I might come and crash with you guys too. A couple of questions for you seasoned counters: how do you break your calories up in terms of carbs/fat/protein AND, do you eat small meals throughout the day or a couple of big ones? I find that I tend to have a massive breakfast and use up more than half of my calories right away. This works for me, as I will usually have a later-morning breakfast (10:30-ish) and then dinner around 6:00, but in terms of my metabolism, I am trying to figure out what works. Any ideas? I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Thanks!

Linds
(NevadaChick)

kd580
05-11-2001, 08:17 PM
everyones body is different on this sort of thing, but i lost 65 pounds in 1/2 year on ww without ever counting calories in non starchy veggies incl. onions. i gained most bk, but it wasnt from not counting those calories.

Sage Ca
05-14-2001, 10:26 AM
I think I must have hit that plateau people talk about;no weight lost this week which means I only lost 1 pound in the past 2 weeks.Well I am not going to let it get me down and will keep counting and try to be more active.
I will do it this time!

livein
05-14-2001, 10:32 AM
I have read on I think Ivillage that you can do what they call a jumpstart to your calorie counting program which is basically low calories 1000-1300 for a week or too? Does anyone have any information or even an opinion on that.

My next question is about calorie ranges. If I want to healthfully lose 2lbs a week, how do I calculate what I'm eating to how much I work out and so on. I work out 5 to 6 days a week. Any suggestions?

kd580
05-14-2001, 12:42 PM
yes, 1000 cals is too little. you will shut down your metabolism.1400-1500 should give ya a 2 p loss.

lhendricks
05-16-2001, 06:35 PM
I'm just browsing here...FEISTYFILLY, I love that handle! Just a suggestion for another book that I use all the time, (also availible from http://www.half.com) MAKING THE CASE FOR YOURSELF by Susan Estrich.

I began losing weight in 1995 and have now lost 65 pounds with a few more to go. I've gone from a size 20 to an 8/10.

Best wishes to all of you.

willbethin
05-17-2001, 06:25 AM
hi all, sounds like people are really progressing around here. i dont come here so often now, cause i am posting in diettalk.com, on no diet approach board and my weekly weigh is in there too. i slowly changing eating habits and not really counting calories, just trying to eat less of my favorite foods. it is going really slow, but i will hang in there. good luck to all. Debi

FeistyFilly
05-18-2001, 12:22 PM
Woo hoo! I was bum when I gain four pounds last weekend and lost 4LB this weekend. Wow
I'm not sure how that happen though but I am right on my calculations this week. I wish I
quit sea sawing like this for the last two weeks. kinda of worries me. I thought maybe I was
starving my body last week at around 1200 calories so I stepped up to 1400 and got some
weight loss a going.:)

Our body is a mystery.

Well in total I have lost 19Lb and I got 101 to go.

What a success

I am worried about this end of the month tho. My birthday is just around the corner and I
know there is going to be some fatting cake with high calories some where. :(

There is a Mississippi Mud Cake due to my honor of my birthday (More like horror)
Wondering how am I going to balance my weight out of that day! GRRRR!!!

Gotta do some calculateing to maintain on my b-day and get back on the wagon to lose after
sure don't wanna gain.

kd580
05-18-2001, 01:29 PM
congrats!! my advice is dont worry bout it- ENJOY your birthday&other special occasions! even if you gain- so what? just promise yoursdelf youll get back to it after. thats what i do.

Nettie1971
05-18-2001, 01:52 PM
I am another calorie counter. I don't buy into any of the other diet programs, because they simply do not work for me. My whole family has started eating healthier. We started simple, by just eating less of the "normal" foods. Now we read labels and I keep a journal at www.fitday.com. It makes it very easy to keep up with the calories.

FeistyFilly: I looked for a lite recipe for your Mississippi Mud Cake, and it can be done, but, it's your birthday. Enjoy!!

F.Y.I. for those that don't know me. I started relearning to eat on April 23rd. I have lost 20 pounds so far. I have learned over the years that "low fat" most of the time translate into "high calories". Not always, but a lot on cookies and other treats. So I don't even bother to buy those items. If I want a treat, I eat the real thing. Though, it is not very often that I get a treat. I really like eating healthy. One thing it has done, is increase the different dishes we eat. It is easy to fall back on the same old meals week in and week out. Now we look for new things to eat. My husband likes the challenge of creating new dishes that are healthy. (He does most of the cooking since he is a stay at home dad.) I love our new life.

Well, enough of my blabbing. I am just so excited about being healthy once and for all.

231/211/170
5'10"

kd580
05-18-2001, 06:21 PM
congrats on that loss! thats awesome! i just wanna say i agree with you on having "real" treats and that the previous poster should enjoy her bday!!

MrsJim
05-18-2001, 06:42 PM
Just wanted to add my two cents (when DON'T I want to?!?).

If you're staying in control of your eating most of the time, an occasional treat won't hurt you...and new studies coming out are beginning to show that taking a 'day off' from low-cal eating can even help your weight loss.

As you probably know, if you keep your calories too low your body will go into starvation mode - and hang on to every fat cell and calorie as best it can. "Tricking" your metabolism by having a 'day off from dieting' regularly apparently can keep your body from thinking it's starving.

Right now, I'm on Week 4 of the Body for Life Challenge - the 'free day' is part of the program. Every Sunday, I give myself permission to eat whatever I want - That doesn't mean total out of control binging though. I call it "controlled cheating". I'll have something special - usually go out for a good meal (Mexican food has been a favorite - I'm not talking whole beans, brown rice, etc. - I'm talking combo platter and refried beans with a margarita on the side!) with my husband. It gives both of us something to look forward to - our Sunday "date".

Just a thought...take care!

willbethin
05-18-2001, 06:52 PM
great job fiestyfilly, sorry if i spelled it wrong. 4 lbs way to go.
mrs.jim, sounds like your controlled cheatingday works well for you. good idea

jennym1173
05-18-2001, 09:41 PM
Hi Nettie! Congratulations on your great weight loss - 20 pounds in less than a month! Goodness! :) If I may ask, how many calories are you eating per day? Also, have you been exercising a lot? I'm roughly the same starting weight as you were (221 lbs.) and whatever you're doing, I'd like to do too!!!! Teach me! Teach me! :)

Thanks a bunch!
Jennifer

Nettie1971
05-21-2001, 07:15 AM
Good morning everyone!

I lost two big fat pounds last week. More at the pace I wanted. The more my family sees changes in me, the more interested they are in eating healthier. My husband usually does all the grocery shopping, but I went this week and we spent a lot of time reading and comparing labels. Amazing how much sodium companies have to put in food if they are putting it in a can or box. We learned a lot and ended up going to the farmer's market for a lot of our food.

Jennifer: I try to eat between 1400 and 1600 calories a day. I think the weight came off so fast in the beginning because I was eating so unhealthy before I started. I went from eating fried, fast food to fresh healthy food. I just started exercising last week and I lost two pounds. Not the pace I was at, but a pretty healthy pace to loose weight. I took my step-daughter to a movie Saturday night and pigged out on popcorn. I did forgo the soft drink and had water, though. One small step. And considering we go to the theater about once a year, I'm not worried about starting a bad habit. I'm still pretty new at this and learn more about how to eat and even more about myself everyday. I still have to fight cravings for certain things. But I want to take it slow now and hopefully I will be able to maintain a healthy weight throughout the rest of my life.

Hope everyone has a successful day!

231/209/170
5'10"

daytona1
05-21-2001, 01:48 PM
Hi everyone,

Does anyone else have this problem?? I do great with my eating all week, then the weekend comes and I always way over eat on Fri and Sun. I have gained 2pds doing this in the past 4 months. I think this is going to have to stop or I will be right back up the scale. Maybe I am just getting tired of watching everything that goes in my mouth?? This is a lifestyle change so I better quit feeling sorry for myself and get back on track. Used to be I was so careful not to eat little bits and pieces of stuff (like a handful of chips etc) now I find myself doing that daily. Well thanks for letting me vent. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Have a good week.

Daytona

kd580
05-21-2001, 02:37 PM
i do!

MrsJim
05-21-2001, 03:00 PM
I think many of us here have that problem - it's pretty easy to stay on program during the week - especially if you are working a full-time job or otherwise so busy you don't have time to think about eating other than what you have planned.

Then the weekend hits - and control goes out the window (just like a mini-vacation I guess!).

That's what I was talking about in my previous post - one of the truly terrific things about Body for Life is the "Free Day". I'm not saying you should do BFL (although it's a great program!) but the concept of a 'free day' is worth thinking about.

Let me define what 'free day' means to me...it does NOT mean a 24-hour binge on everything in sight. A Free Day to me simply means that, if there is a special food you crave, that is the day you have it. Jim and I have turned "Free Day" into "Date Day". I weigh myself on Sunday morning - then I'm free to eat whatever I want during the day. Giving myself that permission is WONDERFUL and my special meal always tastes much better since I'm not feeling as though I'm 'sneaking' it or 'going off the wagon'. On Sunday evening, after we've had our dinner (usually Mexican food) I'm full and content - ready to begin my program anew on Monday morning!

A designated "free day" also gives you a short-term goal to aim towards, and keeps me from eating something I should probably not have during the week. If something tempts me, I just say to myself "I'll just wait til Sunday - only six/five/four more days - and have it then." That usually works - knowing I will be able to treat myself in just a few days can squelch a craving pretty quickly! On the other hand, without a free day, I will just end up feeling resentful because 'everyone else is having it and I can NEVER eat that!'

Think about it - a 'free day' DOES make perfect sense - especially done mindfully (not a 12-hour bingefest).

Take care!

buggaboo
05-22-2001, 06:18 AM
is there anyone who can help me with calorie counting

MrsJim
05-22-2001, 09:43 AM
Sounds like you could use some group support and a little nutritional education...from the tone of your posts anyway...

First off, stay away from all those 'miracle weight loss' pills and nostrums that are advertised all over the place. Let's face it, if they REALLY worked, it would be front-page news throughout America!

What you need to do is find out how many calories your body needs to function each day, depending on your daily level of activity, your weight, etc. I'd say that for most people, anything UNDER 1400 calories a day is way too low. Even though you would THINK that eating 1,000 - 1,200 calories a day (or less!) would take off the weight much quicker, what it REALLY does is burn off lean body tissue as your body goes into 'starvation mode'. In other words, your bod will hang onto every fat cell for dear life, thinking that you're in a famine. Then, when you start eating normally again, your body will very efficiently store all those extra calories as ugly fat.

I and many other 3FC members use www.fitday.com to keep track of calories - both eaten and expended in exercise. Keeping a food journal can really help you become MINDFUL of what you are eating.

Also, go to the library and check out some books. Educate yourself on how the body assimilates food and burns calories! If you go to my website, I've got some suggested reading - most of which you can find in any library. I need to update my list to include Laura Fraser's "Losing It" and Bill Phillips' "Body for Life" as recommended (I'll get to it one of these days!)

Personally, going to Weight Watchers hasn't helped me a great deal, but it sounds like the group support and basic nutritional education that they provide could really be helpful to you. If you can't afford Weight Watchers, then see if there's a TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) or Overeaters Anonymus (sp) in your area. Both these organizations charge next to nothing and offer the group support that many people need.

You also sound the way I was back in the late 80's - kind of depressed with yourself and life in general. I cannot stress how much regular exercise (including strength training) can help you in this regard. I'm a believer in the concept that tying on your walking shoes, going out and getting some fresh air, sunshine - just basically MOVING - works wonders, not only in helping to lose weight, but in your overall mindset. If you're a newbie at exercise, may I suggest another book "Great Shape" by Pat Lyons and Debbie Burgard. This book (written in 1988) focuses on exercise for large sized women - not necessarily to lose weight, but just to feel good about themselves and get healthier (of course, losing weight is much more possible if you're exercising!)

Oops, just checked the clock - got to hit the shower. Keep posting and take care!

daytona1
05-22-2001, 03:36 PM
Hi MrsJim,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I do follow calories most days of the week and I set Sundays as my "day off". Here I thought I was the only one doing this LOL. The problem is my day off has just become tooo much freedom in eating. I have kept my 85pds off for the past 7 years and I think I am just getting lazy. You know how it is, just a little this and that, I have to remind myself that weight doesn't come on 5pds at a time, just 1/4 and 1/2 etc and before we know it you have 20 plus pounds to lose. Maybe what I am lacking is motivation. It is so true what you said about waiting till Sunday for your treat, it helps keep the week in check. I am just going to re- commit my diet habits and I am sure this problem will pass. I walk almost everyday of the week and use weights for upper arm strength 2-3 times a week. You are right when you say being out of the routine of the week allows to much free time, and lately I been spending it in the cupboards, I know better!! I am going to try and plan some activities for the weekends, it should be easier now that the weather has finally gotten nicer. Thanks again for the reply, sometimes you just need to be reminded of what needs to be done!!

Daytona

Nettie1971
05-24-2001, 07:11 AM
Things are still going well. I have been OP all week and have been exercising every night. I added a ten minute ab tape to my cardio workout. I could feel the burn immediately. I didn't do as many reps as the instructor, because I spent a lot of time trying to make sure I was doing them right. I hear you can really mess your back up if you don't do ab routines the correct way. I bought the "Quick Fix Abs, Julie Upton" tape. She is really good at explaining how each exercise is done and showing you exactly what muscles to move. I also added 2 pound hand weights to my cardio tape to get more resistance. I think I need to buy a few more tapes, so I can get a rotation going and not burnout on one tape.

Hope everyone is having a successful week!

231/209/170

daytona1
05-27-2001, 09:13 AM
Hi fellow calorie counters,

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing this weekend. I have managed to eat at a more sensible level and I have walked both days. I am down 1/2 pound so I just have to lose 1 1/2 more to be back to goal. That could take me a while. So far we have had rain everyday. The weather will probably improve when Tuesday comes LOL.

Have a good weekend.

Daytona

kd580
05-27-2001, 09:16 AM
yay datona! i have lost almost 5 pounds in the last 3 days.

FeistyFilly
05-27-2001, 12:45 PM
Well, I lost a pound this week and begin to think I am starving myself to much.
Think I am missing out on some fiber foods or so.
Since March I started this diet and until today I have lost a total of 20lb.
Right now I am revaluating my program and figuring out why in the last two weeks
I have been feeling more hungry. Then again I am not so sure if I know what hungry pains are
it may be just stress telling me that I am hungry. I haven't walked for two days either and
have felt like crap lately for not walking.

Hope all are having a great memoral day weekend.

257/237/137

kd580
05-27-2001, 01:18 PM
hang in there!

lorelei1
05-28-2001, 08:33 PM
I posted here for a while but kind of "fell off the (calorie counting) wagon". I have lost 25 pounds and maintained that loss even though I wasn't really counting calories. I know I was in a way though because I found out through the internet how many calories are needed for me to maintain my weight and I try not to exceed that! I wasn't trying to lose but I didn't want to gain back the lost pounds either!!

Well, now I am getting back on track. I still have to lose 123 lbs to get to the top weight of the healthy weight range for my height 5'9. It's gonna be a long hard battle I am sure!

I am glad to be back and hope to be reporting the kinds of losses you all are.

Lorelei
313/288/165

willbethin
05-29-2001, 07:20 AM
hi lorelei, sounds like you have a good attitude about this way of eating, keep up the good frame of mind. i was on no diet approach, for over a month, and i lost but very slowly, i know that is the best way to lose it, but i also know i could do better. i know i am allowed 1400 cal. a day to lose at a safe and healthy weight loss.i dont like writing down stuff, so i have a richard simmons program, and i am just going to put the 1400 card in foodmover, and when all the windows are shut, then i would have eaten 1400 cal for the day. i tried this before, but was hungry, i will do it this time. i am 5'3 and weigh 183. i want to get down to 125. good luck to you. oh yea i started this on sat. i messed up on mon. but i am back on track today.

Nettie1971
05-29-2001, 07:27 AM
Good Morning!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I lost two more pounds last week. I didn't really watch what I ate this past weekend. I didn't write anything down. I have to be a lot more careful this week. I always do better during the week, not just because I'm away from food at work. I think I do better because I have the support boards at work and I very seldom log on at home on the weekends.

I have to get back to exercising tonight. I have been "off" for the past four days.

Gotta go. Hope everyone has a successful day!!

231/207/170

daytona1
05-29-2001, 09:12 AM
Good morning everyone,

It feels like a Monday to me!! That's the problem with holiday weeks. Sounds like everyone is doing good, the rest of this week should fly by. Our weather had been nothing but rain for the past week, it sure puts me in a foul mood. Well have a good day and remember to exercise.

Daytona

kd580
05-29-2001, 11:03 AM
hi all,

it sounds like everyone is on the ball. thats great! i started last thursday&am down 5 3/4.

165.2/159.4/150/-5.8/+9.4/

Nettie1971
05-31-2001, 04:33 PM
I started a Colorie Counters #3 Thread. Hope no one minds, this one was getting a bit long.

231/207/170

MrsJim
05-31-2001, 07:01 PM
Hope y'all don't mind if I close this thread - since there's a new Cal Counter one started up - gets kinda confusing otherwise!!!

See ya!