South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 07:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default pain in big toe-possibly gout

I woke up with this horrible pain in my toe, at the joint. I have a friend who has chronic gout and it sounds just like the symptoms he has described. Since today is Sunday and I can't get to the doctor until tomorrow, I'm doing what I'm famous for, self diagnoising from the internet.

I've looked at the low purine diet, it says consume no more then 4-6 oz of meat a day, beans are high purine, keep protein to around 20%.

So is anyone gouty and following this WOE? One site said do not go on a low/reduced carb diets. (I know this isn't as a extreme low carb as other woe, it is still lower then the general public who consume 50-70% of their diet in carbs.)

I personally don't want to return to eating to my old way of eating. I feel really good now.

Any advice will be appreciated and I know I should see a real doctor soon and I will if it keeps hurting.
Sarah
Old 10-24-2004, 10:32 AM   #2  
A Lily from my yard!

Sorry about your pain. I have no idea about Gout.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:44 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Take som Advil and be sure to check with your doctor in the morning. I've never had it but know it can be painful.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:53 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Sarah, have you spoken with your doctor?

I did a lot of research on gout a year ago, and it's pretty hard to get if you've been eating your veggies, which I assume you are eating a lot of on SBD. If you haven't seen your doctor yet, please make an appt. soon, and don't change your WOE until you do. Let us know how you are doing!
Old 10-26-2004, 05:18 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Sarah, how are you doing? Have you seen a doctor?
Old 10-27-2004, 08:52 AM   #6  

uhhh, we---ll, no, not quite yet. I keep thinking it was getting better and it's so imbarrassing to go to the doctor just to whine about the pain in my toe...yes, I know pain is pain.
I had to run to catch the bus this morning and aggrevated it, OUCH!!! So, I'm on the phone now waiting for the advice nurse. I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks for keeping at me to call the doctor.

edited to add: I have an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow morning.

Last edited by sarahyu; 10-27-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:08 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks for reporting in. It's NOT silly! Let us know how the appointment goes. We worry! (((Sarah)))
Old 10-27-2004, 10:00 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Sarah, I'm so glad you're going to see the doctor...I know how you feel about being embarrassed, though. I often think my doctor is going to think that I'm a hypochondriac! But you do need to see him/her...especially when pain is involved. I'm glad you're going!

Please do keep us posted!
Old 10-28-2004, 08:41 AM   #9  

MAy sound kooky but I have patients who swear by eating bing cherries. Are those legal?
Old 10-28-2004, 11:10 AM   #10  

Ok, well good news/bad news. It's not gout. Gout is a major inflamation with swelling, pain, redness and heat.

I have a couple things going on, first off is arthritis and some sort of bone growth, like a benign tumor, that the doctor wants a podiatrist to look at. She suggested I take glucosamine/chondritan (spelling is probably way wrong, but I recognize it at the store)

She went on to say that even though I'm doing great with losing the weight, all the extra weight for so many years definately played havac with my feet. The x-rays proof it. Yuck.

Why is it the word tumor sends a fizzle through the heart? Even when the doctor says, "It's probably nothing, but let's take a look at it anyway."

On the plus side, my blood pressure is normal!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:46 PM   #11  
A Lily from my yard!

Well I'm glad it's happy/bad news but nothing major it seems! Well I know my feet do not hurt near as bad as they did before I started losing weight. Thanks for updating us! Take care!
Old 10-28-2004, 01:52 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Sarah, I'm SO glad you went to the doc!!! I know what you mean about the word "tumor", but if it had a chance of being the kind that shakes us in our boots, I'm sure he would have told you. Hopefully, if it is a growth, they might be able to remove it and relieve some of the pain. That glucosamine can really help with arthritis, especially if you keep it up. I'm glad it's nothing more serious. And I'm glad you are losing this weight! The body can do amazing things when you give it what it needs to heal. In time, I bet your feet bounce back from the damage done to them. I'm hoping that happens with all my health problems...some of which are already getting better!
Closed Thread