Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 07:12 AM   #1  

Question

I have been on program basically for the last couple of weeks ( have been over a couple of points here and
there). What I am finding is that I don't seem to be eating that much food and still hitting that top number
without really feeling full. As I go back and look at my journal, I find that I am sadly lacking in fruits and veggies,
and overdoing on processed foods. (I have decided that although the snackwell's devils food cookies are low fat
they aren't doing anything positive for my weight loss plan).

My question for all of you who are more experienced at this than me is,,,,,, Can you really eat all you want of the free
foods and still lose weight. For example if I go off on a binge on green peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers, I still don't
count anything for them?

I have enjoyed reading your threads and responses. I am a veteran to dieting the wrong way, but a newcomer
to trying to do it the right way. Any and all advice is welcome!!!!

Elaine

297/290.5 (weigh tonight)/150 dr. goal/ 145 my goal
Old 05-01-2001, 09:00 AM   #2  

Elaine,
First, to answer your question, I lost a substantial amount of weight (>80#) on WW, all the while taking full advantage of the free vegetables.

Second, I wonder whether you could use some help making better choices on how to spend your points. If you are in the, what, 30-35 range?, and still hungry after 35 points, then you can probably benefit from tweaking your menu plans to get way more food for your points. After all, I manage not to starve on 18-23 points/day, and believe me, it isn't because I have a teeny weeny appetite! I eat high-volume, low-point foods in large quantities. Probably not the world's greatest long-term strategy, but working for me at this point.

You can ask your leader to point out items where you might save points with a simple substitution, or you could try posting a few menus here for comment.

You also might take a look at Thin for Life by Ann Fletcher. The "masters of weight loss" in her book talk about their maintenance strategies, including eating "large" (i.e. low-point, high-volume foods). A similar concept is discussed in the currently popular diet book, Volumetrics.

Meanwhile, go have a big glass of zero point V8 juice and slice up some bell peppers.
Old 05-01-2001, 12:55 PM   #3  

Default Yes, you can eat!

hi elaine.

my answer to your question is a resounding YES! i've been on WW123 for 11 months now and have lost a considerable amount of weight while eating more (in volume) than i did before starting the program. while i'm a novice compared to most of the experts on this board, i would say that the obstacles to solving the problem you describe is time and inclination.

it takes more time to eat well, and to include fruits and vegetables in your diet if your natural inclination is not to eat them. eating whole foods, rather than prepared ones, means i have to plan, shop, prepare, and plan again. i have to plan for something portable for work or afternoons out shopping, etc. i have to plan for the time when i find myself starving and reaching for pretzels or crackers because i can't wait a second longer. i have to shop with an idea of the meals and snacks i'm going to have for the next few days, and a list to keep my on track.

at first, i was put off by the amount of time i spent thinking about food and eating. but the problem solver in me took over and now i'm strategizing all the time. best of all, these boards--and all the caring people here--are an incredible source of wisdom and support.

so, eat as many point-free vegetables as you want and be confident! find new and odd ways to prepare and enjoy them and don't forget to share your ideas with us!

good luck!
lori
Old 05-01-2001, 01:01 PM   #4  
LM

and don't forget you can eat as many cooked vegs as you want too. They are very satisfying and using frozen vegs for example is quick and easy. Spritz with butter spray. Super satisfying. I've been on WW for ~18 months and have lost 42 pounds and eating LOTS of no point veggies.

P.S. See Afrikando's eggplant casserole on the 4-6 Point Lunch Thread. It's free and it sounds delicious!

Last edited by LM; 05-01-2001 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2001, 01:46 PM   #5  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

My lifesaver has been soup. I vary the recipe so I don't get bored, but it really helps fill me up for fewer points. I eat mini meals and often the middle of the afternoon is a difficult time for me. My energy level is at its lowest then and I find that when I eat soup for that mini meal, it does the trick and I'm fine until dinner, even if dinner is a little later than usual.

Good luck!

Lin
Closed Thread