Support Groups - Wanna run?

View Full Version : Wanna run?

fannie~annie
10-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Hi I'm new and I have been going on 5K runs for the last two weeks. I'm slow, slow, slow but I can still do it in about 35-40 mins. I am looking for a buddy who is interested in taking up running and who will help keep me going when I don't feel like it (and vica verca of course!). I really want this to be a lifestyle change, something lasting!

Is anyone interested in checking in daily to post distances and times for runs as well as cross training (for me it's power walking).

My goal is to lose 20 lbs by Christmas. That's 2 lbs a week! This is my first week back on the program!

LeanneM83
10-22-2004, 11:16 PM
I too am getting back into running....I just had a baby 4 weeks ago and have been running for about 2 weeks now...2-3 times a week...I am up to 4km right now, but not too sure how long it took me to run it, but now I will keep track of time....my goal is to be able to run 10km by March so I can run my first race....
Some times I find it hard to get the motivation TO run but after I run I am so glad I did...
How often are you running?
I will totally post my distance and time, as I am trying to lose this pregnancy weight and I am in a wedding on New years.!!

Leanne

fannie~annie
10-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Holy !! Running already! Well hats off to you! I also have three kids and it's next impossible to find time to run except for at my lunch hour...

I am running four times a week right now. I want to increase that but I've been told to take it easy since I am just starting out.

Last week was my first week of serious commitment to running. Here is my schedule:

Mon: 45 min run (usually between 5-6K)
Tues: 60 min power walk
Wed: 45 min run (usually between 5-6K)
Thurs: 60 min power walk
Fri: 45 min run (usually between 5-6K)
Sat: Rest
Sun: 8-10K run (an hour or so)

I am considering substituting shorter runs on Tues and Thrus instead of walking for an hour...

Do you have a schedule?

almostheaven
10-25-2004, 09:49 PM
I had never run in my life until last year. Now I run almost daily. If I can't go after work, I go at lunch. I've managed two 5K races, but 5K is hard on me. Maybe I just push so hard for speed that it wears me out. Some days I'm able to get in 3 miles, which is only a hair under 5K, but mostly I do around 2.5 miles.

Coming from a former heart surgery patient who couldn't even run a quarter mile last year though :D I'm doing about 10 minute miles now. Maybe if I slow down more I could go further. But I always like to get done so I can get other things done. The only time I manage to walk is at lunch (I take a fast walk for my lunch hour then eat at my desk afterward). But generally walking is too slow for me...takes too much time when there's so much more I need to do. LOL

LeanneM83
10-25-2004, 11:03 PM
wow Ladies,

I feel like such a slow poke....today I ran 5km...now, it is my first time running this distance since January (when I found out I was prego) so it took me about 47 minutes...BUT, the good thing about running is I will onyl get better....I am really psyched about running my 1st 10km race next year...and I must admit...4 weeks after having a baby I was able to run 5km...wow...I am quite happy....
Fannie- my schedule so far is run- monday wed, friday...at LEAST 4km and definitely try to go as far as I can...TUe, thurs- elliptical....just to give my joints a break...
Almost- Good for you...keep up the good work....I always HATE running while I am doing it but amazingly happy once I have finished...and I find running so rewarding...I went almost my whole life thinking I COULD never run...but I put 2 bras on and I havent looked back since... :lol:

Leanne

gabwill
10-26-2004, 12:39 AM
well it seems that I am newer to it then all of you or much more out of shape. I can run 20 minutes nonstop but that is about all I can do. I walk for a little while, and then run more. I usually do intervals but today I did it different to see exactly what I am capable of. I ran 20, walked 15, ran 15, walked 10, ran 10, walked 5 ran 5 and then did small intervals until I had 7 miles all together. I did run almost 5 miles today which is a big improvement for me. About 1.5 months ago I couldn't even go .25 miles before having to stop because I couldn't catch my breath. I try to run 4 days a week but figured that I can do intervals tomorrow with it. I am beginning to love running it is just sometimes hard. I figure that I can do intervals from now until sat and then take sunday off. On monday do like today and see how far I can go nonstop. Then increase my intervals. I was told that it is easier to increase a little each week so will try that.

fannie~annie
10-26-2004, 09:28 AM
I am so happy to meet so many new runners! It's addictive eh?

Gabwill - If you are having a hard time catching your breath you might be running too fast. When I run I go really really really slow. Some people could probably power walk as fast as I run, BUT I never run out of breath. It's not painful at all.

Leanne - your 5k time is about the same as mine. I ran 5K in 44 min yesterday and that was an improvement over my 46 min time just the week before.

Almostheaven - I know how you feel! I am supposed to power walk today because I ran yesterday, but I get too impatient when I'm walking. I always have the urge to start jogging! I think I'm going to run again today but I'll just go slowly.

gabwill
10-26-2004, 08:28 PM
I ran another 3 .3 miles today which felt good (did my intervals). I did it at the same pace I am used to. Next monday I will change up the intervals by adding a minute to my run time since I want to be able to run a bit more then what I am now. After I know that I can run 5 miles nonstop then I will increase my speed.

fannie-annie- It isn't that I lose my breath anymore but that is how it was in the beginning. I have come a long way since then and am loving to run without losing my breath. I still have to learn a bit more to control my breathing a bit better but am comfortable with how I am now.

almostheaven
10-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Tell me about it Gab. When I first started, a tenth left me ready to fall down gasping for air. I thought there was no way I'd ever run a whole mile. I also held the bars on the treadmill and if I turned my head the slightest bit, I'd start to lose my balance. I started at about a 3.4 or 3.6 walk speed. Another gal would often be there at the same time on the other treadmill. She said I should work on removing my hands for a bit at a time until I could do it and keep my balance, then begin swinging my arms...that it would help trim my waste. She was walking at 4.2. Over a year later, I swing my arms, walk at 4.2 and can turn my head to look at something or speak to someone without breaking stride.

I really never thought I'd be able to do this stuff cause it didn't seem possible then. But it gradually worked up. In the Rock-n-Race, my second 5K, I clocked in at 31.09. So looking at some of these other times, I really probably need to slow it down tremendously. I got behind another jogger one day, and there was no sidewalk and cars were coming, so I couldn't go around her, and I thought she was really going extremely slow, but I stayed behind her for awhile until I could go around. Maybe she had the right idea though. I guess I'm just trying to compete with a co-worker who's been running all his life and did that same 5K in 20 minutes. The show off. LOL!

fannie~annie
10-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Good morning !!

Well I had a great night and a great run yesterday! I shaved 5 min off my 5K time but since I have only been running for a week it's hard to know what 5K time actaully is. I figure I'll average it out over the next month or so... and it's obviously bound to improve quickly at the beginning.

When it comes right down to it, it's really about feeling good! I feel great when I run. I feel amazing when I see my own improvement or reach a personal best. I am a bit competitive and this gives me a good outlet!

My ultimate goal is to run a marathon. I have been looking at a half marathon race in May 2005, and I think I might register and train for it. It's a bit early yet, but it's something to look forward to.

Thanks for all of your encouragement !

almostheaven - 31 mins is an amazing time!!! Have you tried a 10K I bet your time would be just a good!

gabwill - 3.3 miles is a great distance... I think it's about 7K?

With an addiction to running, I don't think it's going to be hard to lose weight!!! My weigh in is on Friday so I'm going to try to get in two more runs before then. I'm aiming to lose 2-3 lbs this week. I know that it's ambitious but no harm in trying eh?

LeanneM83
10-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Hey ladies...

today i am planning to run...right now I am shooting for at least 4km, then I will do 5km on friday...then next week I will run 6km, 5km, 6km...and week by week ill go more and more...

Fannie annie- I see you are from Almonte, is that near Ottawa?? I am in the process of picking which race I want to run next year...I am looking into March or April, once I have a date it makes me push myself even more....I too can be quite competitive, but it is mostly with myself....

almost- wow, i just ran 5km in 47 minutes...ouch...but now your 31 min gives me a goal to shoot for....i have been concentrating more on how far I can run for now until I work up to 10km, then I will work on my time...

well, since running, my weight is literally sliding off....which makes me VERY VERY VERY happy...
Have a good day everyone...Happy running!
Leanne
SW 204 ( sept 21- day before I had baby)
SW 190 ( came home from hosp)
CW 171.8
GW 140 (new years)
LGW 125-130

skinnyjeans
10-27-2004, 10:26 AM
HI everyone I just tripped across this thread and wanted to now if I could join in. I am just starting to run as well and usually end up running 2.5 to 3 miles. I'm pretty slow a 5K takes me about 45 minutes also. Wow its so nice to know someone else runs at the same pace as me.

I was doing really good about running 5 or so times a week but the past few weeks have kind of slacked off, to about 2/week. I have a hard time motivating myself, especially when its cold. but I love that "I feel so good when I'm done" feeling.

SJ

midwife
10-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Fun fun fun to see all of the runners! I ran a 5K on Sunday in 38 minutes. I am jazzed I ran the whole way! I am considering a half marathon or a marathon next year. There is a local program where you meet once a week for the long runs and run about 30-50 minutes 3 times a week. Weight loss is a nice side effect of running!
Jen

almostheaven
10-27-2004, 09:44 PM
almostheaven - 31 mins is an amazing time!!! Have you tried a 10K I bet your time would be just a good!

Would love to Fannie, but 5K leaves me ready to fall over and declare breathing to be an exercise unto itself. I really should try to slow down the speed and work on the distance. But I already feel like I'm just trotting now. I was going even faster though, but a co-worker kept telling me to slow down more to get that distance. And it worked and I was able to run 5K. But it was hard to slow down even then.

fannie~annie
10-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Good morning everyone!!!

Well I ran 5.6K yesterday in 41min but I really felt tired. I didn't have the energy. But that was after running four days in a row. So today I'm taking a day off. I'll just power walk. I left my running gear at home so that I wouldn't have a choice. Walking seems like such a waste of time because I can only earn 2-3 APs, but I know if I run I can earn 5! Oh well.

Almostheaven - you burn way more calories when you run slow for a long time! But it's true you do have to run very slowly. It feels more like a shuffle than an actual run! LOL. But when you are done it feels amazing!!

midwife - is your running group with the running room? i would love to join one of their clinics, but I live in a small town and there is no running room near by.

skinnyjeans - my time is almost the same as yours. In the last two weeks I have shaved about 3-4 minutes off my time. I actually ran in in 39 mins once! I felt like a million bucks!!

Leanne - YES! Almonte is near Ottawa. We're practically neighbours LOL! If you could commute to Ottawa there is the Santa Shuffle on Dec 4th and the Resolution Run on Dec 31. There is a 5K and a 10K. I know it's hard with the kids but maybe you could bring them as your cheering section! That's what I am doing!

skinnyjeans
10-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Ran about 2.5 miles last night. Took me just under 30 min. Felt fabulous when I was done. In fact I wanted to keep running (one of those I could have run forever times) but since I haven't been doing well the past couple weeks I didn't want to overdo on my first day back. Feel great today!

Way to go Mid! I am considering a half marathon sometime next year t0o. 8k is the farthest I've run in a race yet though.

SJ

LeanneM83
10-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Hey everyone...ugh, I am getting a cold....from my kids of course...but it hasnt stopped me...yesterday I ran on the treadmill..3.25km in 30 minutes, and I am paying for it today...but no pain no gain, right?? I feel GREAT that I am back to running- it makes me feel so good...
Fannie annie- I would LOVE to do a run, but we will be gone both those dates...( I am in a wedding on the 31st) are there any others in January or feb that you know of?? I totally want my family there to cheer me on....
skinny jeans- Way to go...!! awesome!
HAPPY Survivor night....hahaha

Leanne
CW 171.4 :lol:

almostheaven
10-28-2004, 11:38 PM
How cool! I slowed it way down on the treadmill today. I really wasn't sure about going that slow, but I set it for 12 minute miles (5.0 pace). I'm used to going at 6.0 to 6.5. And at 5.0, I was able to go 5 miles! I even did three short 6.0 bursts in the last mile...cause I was getting bored. LOL

fannie~annie
10-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Good morning!!!!!!

Today was my weigh in and I was down THREE pounds! I am so excited. That is two weeks in a row. This running is really working! I am so excited... Oh wait I already said that. Sorry.

I didn't run yesterday because I had already ran four days in a row and I was getting worn out. Yesterday I power walked my usual 5.6K route. It took 58 minutes and I was totally sweaty (pretty gross actually because I was on my lunch hour and it took a while to dry off! eeew!). BUT good for fat burning.

Almostheaver - CONGRATULATIONS! Now didn't that feel great! That's what it's all about. And the Endorphin rush after makes it all worth while.

Leanne - Did you get your flu shot? I haven't yet and I hope I haven't missed the boat! My boys are getting older now so they don't get as many colds but my daughter is only 2 so she still comes down with stuff all the time. I will find out about runs in January and February and I'll let you know.

SJ - That is an amazing time! Have you ever thought of trying a race. You get a free T-shirt!

Okay well I should get to work *sigh*. But let me know how the weight loss is going? Do you all have weigh in days?

almostheaven
10-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Do you all have weigh in days?

All along, Friday morning was my weigh in. But the last 10 pounds, it seems I jump on the scale every day. LOL I really should cut that out, but I'm excited at this point.

skinnyjeans
10-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Well the world conspired against me trying to run yesterday and even though I kept trying to make time it didn't happen. (I even squeezed sometime between work and school, only to get stuck in traffic) Looking forward to the weekend though I always manage to fit in a couple runs then. I am going to try a longer run at least one day.

Great job Almost! Maybe you can alternate long runs and fast runs so your not bored every time.

Leanne- Keep fighting. I actually think running really helps with a cold, sweat is out!

Congrats on the weight loss Fannie.

SJ

LeanneM83
10-29-2004, 03:02 PM
hey everyone

yes, the running seems to be helping make me feel MUCH better...this cold I hope disappears...I am going for my flu shot On thursday and so are my boys...the baby is too young, but she needs to build up imunity anyways...
my knees are still sore today, so I did 45 minutes on the treadmill....I will run again tomorrow..
almost- I am a scal addict, I weigh myself everyday...
fannie- yes keep me posted if you find any runs...I would definitely like to do some in 2005...(ill have the endurance and I wont be so self conscious)

Leanne
p.s does anyone know how I get that ticker thing to show up..???

gabwill
10-31-2004, 10:52 AM
well I am feeling real good. Don't know how much I will run today but I know that it will be atleast 3 miles. I did my weigh in yesterday and in a week I have lost 2 lbs! I am pleased about that. Running is evidently helping me out since before I would only lose one. Now I only have 3 more lbs before I take xmas pics. I really don't want to but oh well. None of them have seen me since Jan. so I guess that it is alright. I have lost a bunch since then but still want to lose more.

gabwill
11-02-2004, 01:06 AM
well I ran for 30 minutes straight which is a new best for me. I ran at a slower pace then normal for most of it and picked up the pace the last 10 minutes but I got through it and felt that I could do a little more which is wonderful. I probably could have done 3 miles but I will wait for a week to see about that. I will do two sets of intervals this week and walk the other days. I am also increasing both running time and speed for the intervals to see if I can make it. It shall be interesting

fannie~annie
11-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Good morning ladies!!!

Today feels like Monday because I missed yesterday (sick DD).

I ran 10K on Saturday (in the rain!) and it took me 80 min. BUT I did it. I expect that my time will only get better. I'm going to run that route every weekend from now on. It's a beautiful country road so that helps when the running gets hard.

I took a rest on Sunday and then as I mentioned above, by daughter was sick yesterday. That means that I didn't go to work, so I didn't have my usual lunch-hour run. We'll see how today goes.

LeanneM83
11-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Hey everyone...
Happy tuesday...it sooo rainy and dull looking here today! But, I am going to work out in a bit even though I feel blah from the weather...
This mix of running and elliptical is working really well for me...my weight is sliding off....and I am so thrilled..
FInally into the 160's as I am 169.0 today....hopefully, I am here just long enough to say HI and off to the 150's soon enough...ive gotta keep on trucking, got 29 more lbs left to go until my closet likes me again..

Leanne
SW 169.0 :lol:

fannie~annie
11-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Good Morning!

I am so excited. This morning I weighed 152.9! Amazing!

I ran yesterday in the rain. I did my usualy 5.6K route but I forgot my watch so I don't know exactly how long it took. I'm guessing about 40 min. I'm okay with that it was a fairly comfortable run.

I discovered spaghetti squash! It is amazing! I can eat the whole thing with some spaghetti sauce and parmisan cheese for 4 points (WW points that is)!! I went out and bought three of them last night! I'm making it part of my menu from now on.

Leanne - Way to go on the weight loss! Running is a no-fail way to do it! But more than that, it's addictive eh? How was halloween with the kids? Did you take them out?

skinnyjeans
11-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Well I ran Monday, in the drizzling rain, but not yesterday. Planning on anothe 2.5-3 miles after work today. I'm hoping to get in the 160's by my birthday which is a week from yesterday. What a present!

Leanee and Fannie-Way to go on the weight loss! The 160's are almost there for me too. Can't wait to get there.

Gabwill- Great job on the run. That is definitely something to be proud of.

gabwill
11-03-2004, 11:16 PM
well I did intervals today. Once I was done with my intervals I was over 4 miles but walked until I was at 5. Felt good. Tomorrow will be an hour walk if the little one permits since she gets shots tomorrow for her check up and is already cranky as it is.

LeanneM83
11-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Hello 168....yay!
28 lbs more to go

I bet running AND chasing after my kids all day long is what is making my weight come off... ;)
im am going to try and run at LEAST 4 or 5 km today...may be a little hard as aunt flow is here and REALLY bad since it is my first since having the baby...
I am actually starting to feel like a normal sized person again...man, I missed myself...
Leanne
SW 204
CW 168 :lol:

fannie~annie
11-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Good morning ladies!

I weighed in 152.3 this morning, so it looks like I'm REALLY down. That is almost 10 lbs since I started my Christmas Challenge! I am so excited!

I'm going for a run today on my lunch hour, the usual 5.6 K. I haven't had my watch all week so it should be interesting to see my time. Maybe I'll have improved a bit.

fannie~annie
11-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Okay well I was counting my chickens before they hatched. I weighed in at 154.7 this morning which is down 1.5 from last week but nowhere near what I was hoping for.

I was not running as much as usual this week because I was feeling a bit drained and unmotivated. Now I am totally disapointed with myself and way more committed to running five days a week. My goal is to run 30-40 Kilometers a week.

This week I'm going to run ~32K. If you don't hear from me again it's because I had a heart attack!! LMAO just kidding. Could you imagine?

LeanneM83
11-05-2004, 12:09 PM
congrats on the loss annie, even though it isnt as much as you hoped for it still is a LOSS...yay!
I too didnt run as much this week as I hoped for, but I guess I do sometimes have to listen to my body, no use in hurting myself...speaking of hurting myself, I ran on the treadmill yesterday...25 minutes at 7.4-7.6km/h...and WOW am I ever sore today....shows me just how SLOOOOOOW I run on the track...hopefully, adding some treadmill running may help to speed me up a bit....
well happy Friday everyone...

Leanne
CW 167.8 yay...
gw 140 ( new years)

gabwill
11-05-2004, 11:30 PM
well I did my intervals again today. I want to say that I have run 9 miles this week total. Feels good to keep to my schedule and next week I will increase it some more. I still need to quicken the pace but that will come in time.

fannie~annie
11-08-2004, 09:36 AM
Good Morning!!

Well I weighed myself this morning and I was 152.0, I think I must have been retaining water on Friday or something! Anyway...

I ran 10K for my Sunday run and it took 01:23 which is a terrible time LOL, but it felt great. I wasn't out of breath at all and nothing hurt. Next week I'm going to step the pace up a bit. I'm sure I can shave 5-10 min off that time if I tried.

This week I have four runs planned. I am following a distance build-up training schedule followed by a half marathon training plan. All in all it is a 28 week program and at the end I will run the ING Ottawa half marathon. This week is my fist week of the program...

Mon - rest
Tues - 5 K
Wed - 5K
Thurs - 5K
Fri - 5K
Sat - rest

The route that I run is actually 5.6K. I measured it in my van.

Wish me luck on my first week of official training!

Gabwill - intervals is a good idea! Keeping with it over the long run is the most important thing IMO. I have been trying to make it a habit or a part of my life. I'm feeling a bit addicted to it, but I figure it's better than smoking or something (which I just quit in March).

Leanne - Holy smokes! Are you trying to kill yourself! LOL. That is way fast :). Good for you. Did you get in a run this weekend?

Well happy trails for Monday... see you all tomorrow!

LeanneM83
11-08-2004, 10:01 AM
hey ladies

Gab- way to go...keep it up, you are doing GREAT!!
Fannie- holy cow, I feel like such a weak runner compared to you...I have been running on the treadmill the past 2 weeks, but I think I am going to run on the track again today...I just get intimidated as the army guys have "sports afternoon" in the gym here while I am running and I feel like they are all staring at me..(not because I am hot, because I look ******ed when running)...or so i feel
so since it is monday I am going to shoot for 5km today....we'll see how it goes...
good luck everyone

Leanne
CW 167

LeanneM83
11-08-2004, 10:04 AM
fannie- saturday I ran 20 minutes on the treadmill at 7.6km....but, I ate lunch before I ran and nearly threw up....there was a guy in there who saw me and said " I thought for sure oyu wee going to throw up, then I would have too..."...lol thankfully, I didnt...but now I KNOW why I never eat lunch before running....and needless to say because of my diet my legs and body were DRAINED on sunday.... :lol:

Leanne

skinnyjeans
11-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Hi everyone. Well I didn't get a run in either Saturday or Sunday because the weekend was so busy. Actually my husband and I were not home during daylight hours.

I got a MP3 player for my B-day and I am so excited to use it. And haven't had the chance to yet. I was really looking forward to a run this evening but I twisted my ankle last night and am barely walking today so I'm guessing it will be several more days until I am up to running. I'm starting to get withdrawl here...

SJ

LeanneM83
11-08-2004, 03:26 PM
skinny- sorry to hear about your ankle...major bummer eh? I hope it gets better quickly for ya!....And... I too have an MP3 player, I love it....doesnt skip when you run

Well, I ran 5km today and it took me 42 minutes...YA YAYAYAYAYAYAYA!!! thats 5 minutes off my old time...I know it still isnt the greatest but I am on my way to a good time...and I am somewhat sore now but it is so worth it...
Anyways, enough from me today eh?
Take care ladies
Leanne

gabwill
11-08-2004, 07:18 PM
well I ran 2.3 miles (3.7km) in 30 minutes. Felt good to do too. Fastest ever!

almostheaven
11-08-2004, 09:04 PM
I've increased my distance lately. Been running between 4 and 5 miles on the treadmill at 5.0. Increased that to 5.4 yesterday and did 4 miles in 44 minutes, then 25 minutes on the elliptical. However, had distressing news today and skipped exercise. Just this once. I just don't have the get up and go. :(

Phoenix_walker
11-09-2004, 08:50 AM
Hello
I am new to the boards and wanted to know if I too could join in? I am new to the running game actully. THough I do run on the treadmill at the gym. Any pointers for a beginner? This is the exact motivation I need.
cheers
phoenix

fannie~annie
11-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Good morning!

I already posted this morning on my Christmas Challenge thread, but I like this thread too!

Yesterday was my 'rest' day and so I went on an hour long power walk. I figure it is worth about 3 points. I weighed myself this morning and I was at 152.5! Looks like I'm really down!

Today I run YAY. 5.6K and I'm aiming for 38 min or so! I'll post after lunch to let you know how I do.

I think I might start posting mainly on the Exercise! board though since that is pretty much what this tread is about... What do you all think about that idea?

SJ - I hear you on the withdrawals! I'm itching to run today and that's only after one day off! Hope you are back on your feet, but don't be too impatient! Make sure it's totally healed!

Gab - Good for you! That's the best feeling eh?

Almostheaven - Is everything okay? Maybe going for a run could be a way of getting out negative energy?

Leanne - Get your *** out there! LOL. Who cares if they stare, I'm sure you don't look any more ******ed than I do! Once you reach your goal they really will be staring because you're a hot mama!

Phoenix - Here is my advice... start slow and work on your endurance and strength. It will take a few weeks but if you're serious about it you should build the foundation first. (That's what I was told when I started anyway ;)
Welcome to the board!

Phoenix_walker
11-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks for your advice...Thank you.
what did you start with?

cheers
Phoenix

almostheaven
11-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Too much negative energy at that point though Anne. I'm going back for a run today, but yesterday just couldn't. We're in the middle of a move to go care for my elderly inlaws as it is. Will be actually doing the move and be offline around the end of this week, beginning of next at the latest. Then got the news from the vet yesterday that my 13 yo kitty may have cancer. It's another $300 to test for that, after the already $300 I shelled out yesterday for various blood tests. Whatever is wrong with her, the only things it could be would not be real treatable at her age. So the vet started giving us options for putting her to sleep. I'm leaning towards making the move as comfortable as I can...she doesn't seem to be in any pain and the vet didn't think so either. And just get her down there and see how it progresses. If she gets worse, I'll cross that bridge then.

Phoenix_walker
11-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Well I just went out for a half an hour brisk(to drop off my daughter) walk, in about two hours I am going to go out again for another half an hour brish walk(to pick up my daughter). Because I dont think I will get to run tonight becuase the hubby isnt home till very very late. I think I will brisk walk it today, and tommorow night go for my first run.

Phoenix

fannie~annie
11-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Good morning!

Well I'm full of negative energy today! I work with a very difficult woman and she was totally rude to me yesterday and I was totally rude back. I'm not looking forward to today. Sigh, I should have just kept my big mouth shut, but of course I just couldn't resist! Oh well.

I ate chocolate last night. I don't think I ate enough to gain this week, but I probably won't lose as much as I had hoped for.

I'm going for a 5.6K run today. I ran it yesterday with some women from work and I think we went a bit faster that I usually go but my timer didn't work properly so I'm not sure. Today we'll do it again and I'll be sure to set my darned timer properly!

Phoenix - When I first started I ran very very slowly and I found that I was able to go 5K in about 45 min. I was barely running. Now I can run 5K in about 39 min, and 10K in 1h20. My times are slow but I if I go slow enough I can run for any length of time. I have seen major improvements this week especially. If you have a hard time running for that long try mixing walking with running. Maybe start with running for 5 min and walk for 1 min...

almostheaven - That is horrible about your cat. Some people see kitties just as a pet, but I grew up with cats and they become part of the family. I hope all goes well on your move.

LeanneM83
11-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Hey Ladies

well, yesterday I did it, I ran 6km...I didnt time myself because I wasnt entirely sure just how far I was going to run....but, I do know it was under an hour... ;) ....so today, I am taking the day off....mostly because I am letting my muscles rest and because the gym was closed for rememberance day (we live on an army base)...
So tomorrow, back to the grind...hope everyone is doing great today!

Leanne

CW 166.0 :lol:

fannie~annie
11-12-2004, 09:56 AM
I ran 10K yesterday and it took me 1h11min.

I'm going for a 5.6K run and I'm going slow slow slow.

Saturday I'm resing and Sunday it will be another 10K.

I only lost 0.5lbs this week and I'm pretty disappointed.

Leanne - Good for you. I'm looking for a 6K route near work so I can run it on my lunch hour. If it took you an hour you burned a lot of calories!

skinnyjeans
11-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Cute kids Leanne.

Well my ankle is feeling a lot better so I'm going to try and start getting back into it with a walk tonight and if that goes well than a walk/run over the weekend.

LeanneM83
11-13-2004, 09:18 AM
skinnyjeans- thanks, I love them, they are the reason I work so hard, to be the best mom I can for them.

Well, I did 45 minutes on the elliptical yesterday and today I am going to run...not sure how far but at least 4km...(hope my knees feel better today), I think next week I will run 5, 7, 5...and work my way up to 10km in the next few weeks..
Hope everyone has a great weekend and keeps up the good work...

fannie- hooray on running 10km.... :cb: :cp:

alright, I am off to do some cleaning....arg....
Leanne
CW 164.6 :lol:

fannie~annie
11-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Good morning!

Okay, I ran 5.6K on Friday in 38 min and 10K on Sun in 1h15min.

My plan for this week is to power walk today (it's my rest day cuz i ran 10K last night) for an hour, run 5.6K on tues, wed, thurs and fri.

Next week I'm going to run 7K twice and 5K twice and then 10K on Sunday.

How did you ladies make out this weekend?

skinnyjeans
11-15-2004, 10:06 AM
HI everyone, hope you all had a good weekend. Well I did some walking and some cleaning over the weekend, but no running. My ankle is feeling much better now and I think I can run without pain (at least in my ankle). I'm going to try and get 2-3 miles in today, even if I have to walk part of it.

midwife
11-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Hey guys! Just wanted to check in and let you know I am still here. I ran for 1 hr and 15 minutes on Saturday...I think it was about 7 miles. I was planning 4, but the route took longer than I had expected...I was pleased I did not stop or call DH for a ride. :lol:

LeanneM83
11-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Hey ladies
wow, sounds like everyone is doing great. I too am very happy with my progress so far. I did the elliptical this weekend to give my knees and my hip (always bugs me) a little break from the pounding of running. I had planned to run today but I had a small emergency with my #2 child and could not work out today, but I will MORE than make up for it when I do run tomorrow...
My weight is still sliding off and I will soon be able to wear my SMALL clothes...
22 more lbs until my New years goal weight.........bring it on!

Leanne
CW 162.4 :lol:

skinnyjeans
11-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Well I ran most of two miles on Monday before my ankle started bothering and then walked the rest. Yesterday I took it easy and stayed on the elliptical. Hopefully today I can run the entire two miles with no pain and be back at 3-4 in no time.

LeanneM83
11-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Hey Ladies
YA YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY
I ran 7km on Saturday.........it took my exactly 60 minutes...The first 5km went really well...I did it in 42 minutes, and I fought for every step between 6 and 7 but I was NOT going to give up.
I have been interchanging running and elliptical still....seems to really be wroking.
Hope you are all doing GREAT..
Leanne
CW 160.8

fannie~annie
11-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Hey Leanne,

I have been running 7K also on my lunch hour. It takes me 58 min but that is at a comfortable pace. I can't force myself to go faster, I'd end up quitting. I don't think I have a good tolerance for pain :dizzy:

I am increasing my long run on the weekend to 12K this week. According to my calculations it will probably take me about 99 mins! What a joke. :lol: Maybe I should try to speed it up a bit. I have the feeling that speed will just come with practice.

LeanneM83
11-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Fannie
Thats awesome...you should be VERY VERY proud of yourself...and boy does 99 minutes ever sound like a LONG time eh?
TOday is my anniversary, my hubby got me a membership to Curves (which I asked for), so I will be incorporating THAT into my, running and elliptical week....boy, I will be even BUSIER now!
Tootles
Leanne
CW 159.8 YAY AYA YAYAYAY

LeanneM83
12-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Where did everyone go...???
I hope everyone is keeping up with the running...I am.,
Leanne
CW 157.4

fannie~annie
12-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Hi Leanne!

I'm still here :lol: .

I usually post on the Exersise! thread... if you're ever looking for a fellow runner that's where I am ;)

I ran 7K in the snow today. I did feel pretty hard core! Ha Ha. But I weighed 149 this morning and I'm damn proud! This running thing is working for me. I can handle running in a bit of snow if it means I'm losing this weight.

I see you're inching down also... how is the running and curves going?

LeanneM83
12-01-2004, 11:00 PM
Hey
WOW, running in the SNOW..awesome....congrats, you ARE definitely hard core...
I love curves, I am seeing more results in the week I have been doing it than the 2 months previous...I honestly thought it was such a stupid thing at first, I mean I thought y ou had to sweat your brains out in order to say you "had a good workout" but I am finding now that my idea is so not true. I am running once a week and doing curves 5-6 times a week...I was starting to get somewhat bored with the elliptical so this is a welcome change..
Anyways, feels great to see the weigh go eh?
Leanne
CW 157.4

gabwill
12-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Well, I am back to posting here. It has been a while. I ran a total of 26 minutes today (not sure exactly how far I ran since I didn't do all at once) I did do a real good mile in 10 minutes though. That is a first for me. After that i had to stop for a while and walk a little. Altogether with my walk I did 40 minutes and 3.2 miles. I did walk slow and not even a mile so I think that I did about 2.3 miles running but am not entirely sure. Feels good though but I knwo that I pushed myself and will be sore tomorrow. I just wanted to see if I could do just one mile at that speed and I did do it so I am satisfied. Although I do want to be able to do 3 at once in 30 minutes (if not faster). that will come as long as I stick to it!

Apple Blossom
12-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Hi. I've been distracted from any kind of weightloss/exercise program lately, but I'd like to get going again. I finally have new running shoes! I bought a pair of Sauconys. I've liked them in the past. I doubt I'll get in a run before Wednesday, but I'm really looking forward to it.
In spite of not even trying, I've lost 2 pounds. I need to take advantage of this active metabolism! My now 6 month old has been waking at night for a nursing session. (He USED to sleep through the night!!!) That's also why I haven't been around, I'm really tired. How's your baby doing, leanne? Are you still nursing?
Way to go Gabwill, I hope I can run a 10 min mile but I'm guessing it'll be 12. Thats more like walking isn't it? Ugh. Long way to go.
See ya later.

LeanneM83
12-13-2004, 11:10 PM
Hey everyone

Apple, congrats on the weight loss....not even trying and a loss, that is great..but I KNOW that running after a baby will certainly help eh??I am formula feeding my baby and MAN, is she ever getting BIG...she'll be 3 months on the 22nd...my, time flies...So I am trying to ENJOY this time with my kids as much as possible...
I havent run in a few weeks, only because my knees were getting very sore, and my hubby bought me a membership to curves...ALSO, I am in a wedding New years eve, so I have been concentrating on that, getting in shape for it...BUT, in the new year I will begin training for a 10km race I am going to do in March or april or may....
Anyways, hope everyone is doing GREAT!!!

Leanne
CW 152....(bring on the 140's)

Apple Blossom
12-14-2004, 01:40 AM
I need to find myself a race to enter. It will be a great motivation. The next town over usually has a Jingle Bell run, but that's too soon. I'd be embarressed. :^: And I'd probably hurt myself. I'll have to do some research....
I would LOVE to lose 5 pounds before our trip to Hawaii in 5 weeks. More would be better but 5 would be great. It's going to be tough through the holidays. Ho Ho Ho

Apple Blossom
12-21-2004, 03:08 AM
Looks like everyone is busy with the holidays! I finally went running on Friday. I jogged over to the jr. high (5min) and ran around the track 4 times. Assuming the track is 1/4 mile, it took me 13 minutes to run a mile. Good grief. :) My knee seems to be OK. I ran again today and instead of running distance I ran for 13 minutes. Plus a little more. So my goal will be to get back down to a 10 minute mile by mid January, while taking it easy enough to be nice to my knee (I have IT syndrome) I found a race in early Feb to enter if my husband is home to mind the kids. I can choose 5K or 10K or even 1/2 marathon :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll probably just do the 5K. Back when I ran alot I never did 5K because it was too much effort to run for such a short time. I figured if I was going to get up early, drive somewhere etc, my race would have to be long enough to be worth the effort. Ha ha :lol: :lol: Anyway I've rambled on long enough. I love running again. I hope I can keep it up. :D

Apple Blossom
12-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Hi busy people! I have been eating and eating and eating. I ran again, but I didn't measure how far I went, I just ran for 13 minutes and walked/jogged back home. And yesterday I went back to the track and shaved 45 seconds off my mile!!. I'm going running again today, I'll let you know how it goes. Happy NEW YEAR! :hat: :cheers:

Apple Blossom
01-02-2005, 01:54 AM
I'm still busy eating and eating and eating.
My run yesterday was nice. I went 20 min with out stopping and didn't really pay attention after that. Even though I'm slow and fat, I still love the way running makes me feel.