Support Groups - Cow Talk with Hick and Hack

View Full Version : Cow Talk with Hick and Hack

Kiwonk
10-17-2004, 03:18 PM
I'm tired of seeing Udder every day.

PainterWoman
10-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Ohhhhhh, you must be thinking about Car Talk with Click and Clack..... NOW I get it! :dizzy:

Here's a close up of the scarf I mentioned last night... if the loader will manage, I'll load a photo of the whole thing as well. It is extremely THICK, and doesn't drape.....

What do you think would be a similarly wild color combo in the blue/purple family? I HAVE TOO MANY THINGS I WANT TO DO ALL AT THE SAME TIME. They require hand/eye coordination and concentration. You can't multi task when it involves writing a book, knitting, reading a book and taking a nap.

Maybe I'll just opt for the nap.

Cowpernia
10-18-2004, 01:57 AM
Kiwi Pie, thank you for the title!!! I have been so depressed and anxious about everything and YOU MADE ME LAUGHHHHH!! I love the Tappet Bubbas.

I have a friend who FOR THE SECOND TIME has sent me a @#$@! urban legend about Kerry saying John 16:3 is his favorite verse when he meant 3:16 and NO ONE IS HIS "CAMP" knew he was wrong. Mostly, this story is told about Bush but she misses that. I am just fed up with everything.

Grrr

p.s. EXCITING NEWS... if you do a google search on "like I dunno" but don't use quotes around it, DS's website come up first!!! Woo hoooo

PainterWoman
10-18-2004, 03:16 AM
cowie-- I see that you are using one of ds's avatars as yours? He's put a LOT of effort and writing into the site. I love when kids work and are creative...... Sorry you are depressed and anxious.... when I put "like I dunno" in WITH the quotes, I found a self help site on anxiety and depression... coincidence? you decide. :lol:

Cowpernia
10-18-2004, 02:50 PM
I should point out that if you search Hillary Duff and Bat Boy at the same time, you also get ...

Kiwonk
10-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Here's a close up of the scarf I mentioned last nightOo, I was in a hurry reading messages today and I read that as "close up of the scar" and glanced at the thumbnail pics. You don't want to see what was in my mind.

Hee hee Cowp good surfing for later... Gotta run now. DD gets real anxious if I don't get driving on time (guitar lesson day)

Kiwi

PainterWoman
10-18-2004, 04:40 PM
nope. No "scar" closeups!
Thanks to the boys for keeping me slighly more up to date on pop culture.... I'm still embarrased that my kids went to the same high school as Jessica Simpson.. (though SHE'd dropped out to move to H*wood.

SugP
10-18-2004, 06:16 PM
I'm still embarrased that my kids went to the same high school as Jessica Simpson...

Hey, Pamela Anderson is Canadian. How do you think that makes ME feel? :lol: :lol:

I'm in luuuurve with the scarf. Very pretty. Purple/blue or turquoise/green would be lovely too, I think.

That boy is just so clever, Peachy!!! I think I'll stay up all night reading. What can we do to ease your anxiety?

I am in full PMS mode and thus up to my ears in white toast with butter. It just won't leave me alone. AND I woke up this morning looking tired so I slapped on a bunch of make-up that only served to make me look like an aging trollop. So there. :p

Go watch the funny election videos at jibjab.com. Very entertaining.

Wabby
10-18-2004, 07:43 PM
An aging trollop??? Sugar, you could never.

I woke up at 3 am Saturday morning w/ thoughts of my runaway weight gain and I decided that I would put myself on Dr. Phil's "project status". Even though he really drives me crazy. I went to WW's. It wasn't as bad as I thought and now I'm doing the new program called The Core Program, which consists of mainly eating whole foods. As much fruit and veggies as you wish, lean meat, non fat dairy, etc. You're supposed to focus on achieving a satisfied, but not over full sensation. And exercising. What the h*ll, I'll give it a try. I don't feel like counting points right now. Prepare to be bored by my weight loss adventures. I weighed in at 158.4. eep. Up 15.4 pounds. You'd think I'd learn.

Painty, beautiful scarf. It looks so soft.

I can't even fathom stores being closed on Sunday. We northerners really are heathens.

Bagzz
10-18-2004, 09:59 PM
ohhhhhh-----------i LOVE your scarf painty!!!---my mom made me one last christmas---the yarns they are in the stores right now are AMAZING!!!--little bits of threads that glitter,beads,shiny threads ------------yummy colours~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!i agree with miss shuga----------blue and purple====deee light ful!!!============i am reading "the time travellers club" by audrey niffenegger====it's VERY long====518 pages ====but i had to read it for book club ------------------i wouldn't say it's GREAT but it's okay!!! i probably wouldn't finish it if i didnt' have to====i get to pick out the next book----i picked "name all the animals"----------gotta go talk to dh about what to get mother in law for her b=day tomorrow====see yas

Wabby
10-19-2004, 01:31 PM
*****Boring weight loss post alert*****I'm having feelings of mourning over the lack of chocolate in my diet. This is so sad, and right before Halloween. I've exercised 3 days in a row. Woo-hoo me. I've noticed something new. I'm old. It's harder to exercise now.

I'm reading What to Keep by Rachel Cline. So far, so good. Do not bother reading A Song I Knew by Heart by Brett Lott. I finished it, but it was slow torture. I've got to go to Amazon to read the reviews on your books, Bagzie. Maybe I could be a vicarious book club member.

Cowpernia
10-19-2004, 03:17 PM
It is harder to excercise than it used to be, Wabbo, but it'smore important.

I voted today. My little vote will not hold up well here in the "Democrats Kill Babies and want to Destroy Churches," part of the world.

Bagzz
10-19-2004, 03:54 PM
i never knew the diff between Democrats and Republicans but my hubby tole me to just remember that R in Republican stands for "rich"-----------does this mean anything to yas all??? here the Liberals are liberal and the Conservatives are conservative { and support big business and the rich=canadian republicans}---------------i usually don't care about politics but you americans make it such fun!!! today laura bush was on regis and kelly and theresa heinz-kerry was on the view---i ignored them both but i am stuck home cause ds has a cold--------------------WABBY----PLEASE EXPLAIN THE CORE PROGRAM IN DETAIL AS I CAN'T SPARE THE CASH TO READ THE WEBSITE-=====---CAN'T YOU USE FLEXPOINTS FOR THE H'WEEN MINI CHOC0LATE BARS????????????????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :smug:

Kiwonk
10-19-2004, 04:32 PM
Well, you did your part, Cowpeach. I wonder how long it will take to count Florida this year...

I'm having feelings of mourning over the lack of chocolate in my diet. I can't understand overlooking chocolate in a healthy diet. Are they implying it's not a whole food? :dizzy: Congrats on your efforts, I'm sure they will get easier with time and those 15 lbs will melt away.

Not much going on around here, certainly nothing on the diet front. I'm in the midst of one of those total funks re: making meals. Every single day, another decision. How insurmountably boring. I don't want to go shopping, but I don't want to fix what we have here.

We've decided that we can't afford to do the vacation we wanted to this Christmas. We were going to spend half of it with my family in NC and the other half in Florida with our boating friends. Because of abominable school vaca schedule, we would certainly have to fly to do both and the ticket prices are ridiculous. So we've decided just to drive to NC, do Christmas and drive back. Tedious, but :shrug:

After lengthy discussion and deciding this, DD informed me while we were on the road yesterday that the guy she's had a crush on for years and who moved very far away, is coming back to town for Christmas. How unfair for her. I'm going to try to get us back here before he leaves; I suspect DH would just as soon she missed him, but I feel for her. I remember resenting my family's demands that cut into my personal life when I was her age. At least she's telling me what's going on.

I must go do something useful this afternoon -- after several days of rain it's a gorgeous day. You should have seen the amazing phenomenon I saw yesterday. I had dropped DD off at school about 7AM and was heading home. The sky was mostly cloudy and partly pink from the sunrise and I looked up and saw a PINK RAINBOW!! Nothing but pink -- it was so cool!!

I just looked up "pink rainbow" in Google to see if I could come up with a picture, and it seems that is a gay organization. :rolleyes: I found a site of rainbow pictures (http://www.capetownskies.com/rainbows2.htm) that includes a pink one, but it doesn't look like the one I saw. These pics are of a pink sky with a pink rainbow in it -- my (yeah, my) rainbow was in against a blue and grey part of the sky. Here's one (www.singlesourcephoto.com/ search/me/mea0035.htm) that's even in Maine. This one's a little more like what I saw. (http://www.bacapoa.org/gallery/fullimages/pink%20rainbow_f.jpg) Too bad I didn't have a camera with me.

I'm just a little ray of sunshine today, eh?

Kiwi

Wabby
10-19-2004, 04:47 PM
As soon as I figure out the core program, I'll tell you all about it, Bagzie. So far I've been eating gallons of my WW Taco soup. It has lots of beans in it. I hope I'm not sorry. Rule # 1 is that you can eat veggies and fruit. A minimum of 5 a day. Maybe you can just change your diet one rule at a time.

My big news is that I'm going to high speed internet on Nov. 1st. Yippee.

Kiwi, how do I get my very own rainbow?

Bagzz
10-19-2004, 10:56 PM
i love your rainbow story---i actually started bringing my camera in the car lately cause of all the falllllllll foliageeeeeeeeee---but sunsets are earlier these days so i should get some of those too------------I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE YOUR PINK RAINBOW---I WANT A PURPLE ONE!!!!

PainterWoman
10-19-2004, 11:47 PM
At least the Dems in Florida might make a HUGE difference. Dems in Tex are doomed... or certainly VASTLY outnumbered... unless the R's are cock sure of their victory and stay home. I can only hope. I plan to vote tomorrow. the county election board had ALL precinct sites listed on their web site, so where i went to vote wasn't open for business. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Banana bread is calling me.

Cowpernia
10-20-2004, 11:25 AM
I heard a man at the election office saying, "If you voted right, you remembered that the Moslems are over there killing Christians." He was not talking to me. Thank God for that.

Cowpernia
10-20-2004, 12:45 PM
I see here (http://slate.msn.com/id/2108322/?GT1=5472) that Kiwi's vote is even more important than mine.

Wabby
10-20-2004, 01:17 PM
I've exercised 4 times this week. I think it's a record. Leslie Sansone is my best friend, although she's a little on the perky side.

It's my week of beauty. Nails yesterday and haircut tonight. I'm just a pampered flower. hee.

I have nothing to say. One day until the 27th anniversary. Do you think I should keep him?

Cowpernia
10-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Go GO HERE FOR REAL (http://www.jibjab.com) and watch the "Our Land" video.

PainterWoman
10-20-2004, 02:05 PM
My vote is not important, apparently, either. Well, it's important to ME. And shame on the person electioneering AT the voting booth. I certainly hope he didn't have any "official" status except "______" ( -- oops, I forgot, I'm giving up name calling about the election even if it isn't Lent....)...

Wabby, if you've managed 27 years, you have too much shared history to scrap it. Keep it and keep making it better and better. Congratulations!!!

Kiwonk
10-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Kiwi, how do I get my very own rainbow?Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

:lol:

I see here (http://slate.msn.com/id/2108322/?GT1=5472) that Kiwi's vote is even more important than mine.Bummer, Maine went gray. I will vote very very hard, don't worry.

Congrats to Wabbit and Mr. Wabbit!! We know better than to think you might be thinking of dumping that cutie!!

Kiwi

Wabby
10-20-2004, 07:50 PM
We know better than to think you might be thinking of dumping that cutie!!

I know. The new ones are too hard to train. Not that he's been easy.

SugP
10-21-2004, 06:33 AM
Happy Anniversary, Wabby and Well-Trained DH!!!! Here's to another 27! :bravo:

MY dh still needs A LOT of fine tuning. My parents have been married for 44 years. Sheesh.

Told Mummy that I've been depressed lately (like for the past 5 years) so she's calling me tomorrow to have The Talk and give me some moral support. I know I'll be blubbering the whole time. Blubbered all the way through that Diane Keaton/Jack Nicholson movie yesterday. Wasn't that supposed to be a comedy? Diane looked really good. I would NEVER kiss Jack Nicholson. :D

Trying out a Korean restaurant tomorrow. Should be spicy. Hope I don't blow the top of my head off. I love that kim-chee stuff.

We saw a rainbow this morning. Not pink, just your regular garden variety, but still.

PainterWoman
10-21-2004, 01:00 PM
CONGRATULATIONS WABBY!

Quite an achievement to train and be trained day after day for 27 years. I wish you pride and pleasure in the next 27!

Sometimes I think that everyone who's weight-endowed in this world is or has a tendency toward depression. Maybe it's hormonal? Or Genetic.... at least the tentency. There must be some possible advantage!!! I do like www.authentichappiness.com, though. I've maintained curiousity and am trying to ressurect "zest".... (It would help if I stopped trying to get by on 4 hours sleep!)

Hope everyone is well.

Wabby
10-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Ms. Paint, I'm bookmarking that site for further review - looks interesting.

I think the weight gain is a symptom of the depression thing. We eat for comfort. Then we get depressed because we've gained weight and the cycle continues. I know that when I get a certain amount over my healthy weight I go into a tailspin. Then I seem to bottom out and make myself get back on the diet and exercise wagon and I seem to do better. I think the exercise is such a key to mental health, but it's so hard!!!!, especially when you're feeling depressed. Anyway, know that we love you Sugar, and I sure hope a heart to heart w/ your mom does the trick. I think Jack Nicholson is kind of cute in a bad boy sort of way. Diane said he was a better kisser than the young guy. :o

We're not doing much for our anniversary today, but DH said to pick a place for this weekend and he'd follow me anywhere. It's kind of rainy, but the beach is always good, even in a storm.

Bagzz
10-21-2004, 01:44 PM
MOST DEFINITE GOOD WISHES ARE IN ORDER AND MAY YOU HAVE A ROMANTIC BEACH WALK,WITH DH CARRYING THE BASKET WITH THE BLANKET,THE BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE,TRUFFLES AND CAVIAR -----"IF YOU LIKE PINA COLADAS AND GETTING CAUGHT IN THE RAIN-----IF YOU LIKE MAKING LOVE AT MIDNIGHT ;) ;) ;) IN THE DUNE ON THE CAPE-----COME WITH ME AND ESCAPE!!!---OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT----------anyone remember that song-----wabby mentioning the Beach got me singing----okay all for now---except!!!!! :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE BEEN STAYING UP WAYYYYYYYYYYY PAST ME BEDTIME AND I AM SO THRILLED FOR THE BOSOX!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!1 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wabby
10-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Change of plans - I booked a room at the Skamania Lodge. It's in the Columbia River Gorge, which is one of the most beautiful places on earth. The romance package - includes beautiful room w/ fireplace, chocolate dipped strawberries, champagne, and breakfast. Of course we will have to have dinner too. Very romantic. Can't wait.

Kiwonk
10-21-2004, 04:20 PM
I'd post but I have to take a shower and go pick up DD. I believe a shower will be my sum total of accomplishment for today. I can't believe you put the pina colada song in my head, Bagzie. RED SOX RED SOX RED SOX

SugP
10-21-2004, 06:09 PM
I used to loooove that song!!! What feels like a zillion years later? Not so much. :cb: :cheers: :cb:

That DOES look like an interesting site, Painty! Is that what you use in your counselling?

PainterWoman
10-22-2004, 04:49 AM
Authentic happiness offers a nice "cafeteria plan" for the depressed, weary and boggled. A lot of what I do it try to get people to alter their thinking... (what a trip it's been during this political season!!! :devil: )

I LOVE THE COLUMBIA RIVER VALLEY. Hmmmmmm and to be there with a sweetie! Now there's an anniversary idea I might steal.

Wahoooo Red Sox.
But I don't know what i'm gonna do Saturday. DH is from St. Louis. DD is in Boston....
Hmmm. Maybe the Sox. (you can't knit a cardinal, now can you?!)

Lohani
10-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Hi everyone...though disgusted by our current political situation, I am not depressed about it because I watch Degrassi. I feel I am intense enough to be a good Canadian.
Here are the other reasons I am not depressed,
1. I do not eat sugar.
2. I have kicked all of the vexing people out of my life. I do not speak to any of my siblings and to most of dh's(list is getting thinner by the day). In short, I have stopped taking crap. The only reason I can do this is because our mothers are gone, so I take no credit.
BUT...what a difference! SIL lashed out at me some time ago, because I did not appease her by letting her cry on my shoulder and I would not validate her view of herself as a victimized, wronged person. She recently called to apologize and after I graciously accepted her apology and assured her I forgive her, I told her she will not be granted re-admittance to my life. It felt wonderful. This Christmas, instead of being depressed about having to be alone or with nasty relatives, we are going skiing. I'm finished with all of this and it has changed my life.
It is good in the weight dept, too. They aren't around to make me mad so I don't have to eat at them.
We went to Dd's dream college yesterday, it is tres selective...she will be hurt because she is not a jock....but they were very positive toward her other activities. Due to her arthritis, I think they are jerks to even bring up the athletics, but it seemed no time to tell them that they were idiots. We'll deal with that if it comes up.
The boys conferences were today, they are doing fine. Now I'm hanging around considering a nap.
Have fun! L

Wabby
10-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Lushie, you're my role model. I'd like to grow up enough to tell ppl to take a flying leap. My Dad still isn't talking to me, or I to him, so that makes us kind of the family outcasts. Except when they need something. My brother stopped by our work this week to ask a very big favor (won't go into it, but it's one of those things you do, even though you don't feel comfortable doing it.) and my younger sis called because her dh's windshield in his truck is broken and they want to buy one at cost from us. (we don't do auto glass, but can still buy it wholesale). It wouldn't bother me so much except for the fact that they never call or visit unless they want something.Isn't there an Americans w/ disabilities act that would level the playing field for DD at this college?

DH took sent me roses and took me out to dinner yesterday for our anniversary - plus I get the weekend trip. And he gave me a card that seriously had me misting up. Yup, I guess I will keep him afterall. :love:

PainterWoman
10-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Lucious.. WAY TO GO GIRL.
A good mother can never be thanked enough.... but a bad mother... well, unless one's had one onesself, the damage, pain and hurt can never be fully expressed.:hot: (I sort of think of a bad mother as like Hurricane Ivan with PMS.)

Enjoy your nap and I hope DD finds the right dream college for her.

Wabbs... lucky you.... and be sure to give DH a hug from me for being such a fine example of kind and loving manhood! I

How about a bumper sticker: Cull the Vexers
It is odd enough that maybe a few people would have to think! :coffee:

Kiwonk
10-22-2004, 04:35 PM
I've got to hand it to you, Painty, that's an odd bumper sticker. :twirly:

So the Cardinals won last night? I wasn't paying attention. I'm glad it's not Houston -- Texas vs Massachusetts sounds too much like the election. Red Sox fans are practically faint with anticipation. They have a dandy pair of socks pattern in the grass on their infield -- does St. Louis have a cardinal on their infield? If not, I think there's no contest. The Yankees' field was pretty but not very creative -- stripes and checkerboards, you know.
I can't believe I watch baseball..

Lush, what is DD's dream college? I hope she can go there. My DD's problem is she doesn't have much of an idea where she wants to go or what she ultimately wants to do. I sort of wish she had a couple of more years before she had to decide; she is still discovering things that interest her and having to "choose" seems so limiting.

Hey! I took a walk this morning. :hyper:

Kiwi

Cowpernia
10-22-2004, 06:12 PM
I am tired. I need to give up sugar (not Sugar) and old tiresome relatives like Lohie.

My dream is that one of the candidates will win because of Florida and in Florida, he will win by ONE vote... and it will be MINEEEE.

Kiwonk
10-22-2004, 06:31 PM
I need to give up ... old tiresome relatives like Lohie. Who you calling old and tiresome? :lol:
My dream is that one of the candidates will win because of Florida and in Florida, he will win by ONE vote... and it will be MINEEEE.I hope your dream comes true.

I just bought Punk Rock fingerless gloves for my kid. Is that weird or what? She needs fingerless gloves for pep band. I should have sprung for $32 soft angora ones that were on sale at the Common Ground fair, but I thought they were too 'spensive. These were only $16 and they say Punk on one and Rock on the other. She'll be thrilled.

Kiwi

PainterWoman
10-23-2004, 03:41 AM
Does anybody else think the Cardinals' logo looks like birds on a seesaw?

Originally Posted by Cowpernia
My dream is that one of the candidates will win because of Florida and in Florida, he will win by ONE vote... and it will be MINEEEE.

I hope the dream comes true, too.... And my dream (besides "culling the vexers"!) is that the citizenry can patch things up and listen and learn from each other..

Lohani
10-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Hello, I'm feeling confident regarding the election because Peaches is on the job in Fla. Unless they cheat again, we should win.
Kiwi, I can't believe you watch baseball, either. It is so boring. I'm glad my kids don't play.
About college, I agree that 17 is too young to make these decisions.
Dd is a very focused person, most of her friends are sticking around here because they just aren't sure. It helps that there are probably 30 top colleges within commuting distance from here.
Painty, re: mothers..... one has to come to terms with the past. I had to step back and look at my childhood experiences in terms of the whole world. For example, girls in Thailand are sold into prostitution; girls in Africa are subject to circumcision. When looked at from that point of view, my experience is mild.
I have to go pack lunches for the month. I don't feel like it. Oh well, bye

PainterWoman
10-24-2004, 02:47 AM
I'm gonna be optimistic too. It just feels better, and I have no proof-positive evidence that things will turn out badly.

I'm especially happy about Red Sox.... And if Cardinals win, DH will be happy. It's all good.

Wabby... good for you that you can be grateful for what you have had, and recognize that others have had it worse. It is so difficult for some people to realize that just becuse others did have it worse, that doesn't mean they themselves "shouldn't" feel any pain. What a challenge to maintain perspective AND personal awareness.

Speaking of which: RANT RANT RANT :mad: :mad: :mad:
DH stopped eating snacks... or something... now he weighs way less than me and has LOST more than me, too. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. And the Halloween candy is calling me all the way from down the block and around the corner. :sp: :sp: :stress: :no: :crazy:

Kiwonk
10-24-2004, 12:30 PM
Kiwi, I can't believe you watch baseball, either. It is so boring. I'm glad my kids don't play. I know, wouldn't that be just deadly boring!! Hey! I thought they did -- I have a couple of old little league cards to prove it -- guess they outgrew that, eh? :cp:
When looked at from that point of view, my experience is mild.
I have to go pack lunches for the month. I don't feel like it. Oh well, byeYou're so mature and wise. Well, except for that whining about the lunches... :lol: Seriously, you pack a whole of month's worth of lunches at a time? I do it every day. Can't bring myself to send a frozen peanut butter sandwich with the fragile little darling... :rolleyes:

I was up half the night with dinner-induced insomnia. We were invited out to this food-tasting night at the local gourmette restaurant, who was introducing their new chef. Very yummy stuff -- a whole night of hors d'oevres and then desserts. What a great way to eat! Unfortunately, all the desserts must have been loaded with caffeine or something, because I woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep until 7! DH let me sleep in, even though we were supposed to get up and do some work in the yard before we head out to the in-law's for noon dinner. Well, he didn't really want to do it either I guess.

While I was up wide-eyed, I watched U. of Calif TV, with the end of a lecture by Seymour Hersch, and then a panel discussion about stem cell research. Boy, do I have ammunition for the family discussion today! (Just kidding, I make it a rule never to get into a political discussion with my in-laws--they are so far right, they are out of sight around the bend, so to speak)
DH stopped eating snacks... or something... now he weighs way less than me and has LOST more than me, too. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. That is so typical of men -- so unfair! You struggle for years with your weight, and they go and lose it in 3 minutes. Mine does that from time to time as well. You ask him how he did it: "Oh I took a walk at lunchtime last week" or something like that :no:

Ta, kids! Have a good Sunday!

Kiwi

Cowpernia
10-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Here is a recipe that's really good if you like this sort of thing. I take it to pot lucks and always get to bring some home.

Colombian Beef and Sweet Potato Stew

Cook this in your crockpot all day:

1 lb. stew beef
tsp. salt
tsp. pepper
1 tsp. oil
3 cups of sweet potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tsp. garlic
bay leaf
cloves (just a little)
cinnamon (just a little … I usually add too much spice)
onion cut up into 8 pieces
28 oz. Italian style tomatoes
8 dried apricots cut in halves

Kiwonk
10-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Is that some kind of recommendation -- there's always some left over? ;)

I just came in from doing the fall haul: hauling the canoe up from the lake and into the barn, hauling the stuff off the sailboat -- picture me standing 15 feet off the ground pitching sleeping bags over the side for DD to catch, and hauling anti-freeze up the rickety ladder onto the boat. Then I hauled myself indoors, dumped some of the crap in the washing machine and collapsed into the computer chair. DH is still out there, doing manly things with antifreeze. My shoulders hurt.

We had dinner with the inlaws earlier with the usual requirements that we bring lots of leftovers home. After stuffing myself silly, I don't usually feel like bringing home paper plates of pumpkin pie etc. They eat sort of strangely. Recently I had started thinking they were getting a little more healthy, what with the sudden discovery of Romaine hearts in a bag, :dunno: but today was a definite back-slide. Very tasty, mind you, but I'd be a Mack truck if I ate that way every day: SIL made pot roast and baked breaded pork chops. And twice baked potatoes, winter squash with butter and milk, and biscuits. Oh and don't forget the canned or pickled beets (don't know which, I never touch the stuff) and matching jellied cranberry sauce. I love her dearly, but I need a green salad. I'm not even going to go into the dessertS. Of course, this was for FIL's birthday, and he's got quite the sweet tooth.

Anyway, if I make that stew, Peacheroo, do the sweet potatoes hold up or become mushy? And can I skip the dried apricots? Aren't they kind of chewy? One of the dishes in the food tasting dinner last night was calamari salad -- the calamari were on the chewy side (not batter-fried, just marinated or something) -- wouldn't the apricots be a little like that? I need more info before I try this dish, although I am intrigued.

Must go do DH a favor. He says it will be an intellectual challenge -- I must determine when the water turns pink. Oooo.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
10-24-2004, 07:45 PM
No, they don't become mushy. The apricots lose their chewiness. In fact, other than the fact that the color sometimes leaves (must be the brand) you can't find them. I mean if they stay orange, they look like sweet pots and you can't find them with or without taste. Some bleach out and look weird though. I don't care. Yum. Good over rice or couscous.

I made it without onions and served with over nothing the other day at work. Was just fine. There's always left over because SOME people won't try new things. Go easy on the spice though.

But .... it's just an appropriate to use another dried fruit instead of apricots.

PainterWoman
10-25-2004, 02:46 AM
I can hardly wait to try the stew. I love things that are sweet & salty at the same time... and Sweet potatoes have a higher glycemic index than reg. potatoes....

Boy, do I have ammunition for the family discussion today! (Just kidding, I make it a rule never to get into a political discussion with my in-laws--they are so far right, they are out of sight around the bend, so to speak)
I think that's why we're staying in town this year... so DH doesn't have to "engage" with his parents. I'm a bit sad about it... but probably just because I think any parents living would be better than none. I am sure, though, that MY kids won't have any such hesitation and that we'll have many lively conversations over the holiday visiting times. ;)

Wabby
10-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Kiwi, for a minute there I thought I'd missed Thanksgiving. That's some serious food consumption for FIL's birthday. The only parents I'm "engaging" with at Thanksgiving will be Grandpa Jim. He's pretty easy because he can't hear much anymore, so he tends to be somewhat quiet.

One week of WW's new program and I've lost 2 lbs. I don't think the Core Program and I are going to work out. I do better counting points. Of course, I did just have a food centered weekend. I gave myself permission to eat and drink for the 24 hours we were gone. Everything was soooo yummy.

Sugar, I'm waiting to hear if a talk w/ your Mom helped. If it did, I want her number. ;)

Kiwonk
10-25-2004, 11:32 PM
One week of WW's new program and I've lost 2 lbs. ....Of course, I did just have a food centered weekend. Congrats on the 2 lbs. Yeah, I had one of those food centered weekends too. What can you do? :dunno: Just gotta give yourself permission to slide for a bit.

I did manage to walk a bit this afternoon. :kickcan: Unfortunately it didn't amount to anything to brag about. Better than sitting on my *ss though, right? Tomorrow if I can drag it out the door, I'm going to join a new weekly walking program in town. This one only lasts 4 weeks, but the last time I joined one, it was very motivating. I think they walk through the high school hallways in the evening for this program. How dorky is that? :twirly: Just my speed, you're thinking, eh?

The stew sounds swell, Cowpeach. I will contemplate. I have a ham steak waiting for tomorrow's dinner. Too bad I didn't pick up any sweet potatoes to go with that. Actually I could be really radical and go to the farmer's market tomorrow. Unfortunately it's 45 minutes away, but maybe well worth it.

Ah well, I can't just keep rambling on and on here (no? just watch me). Ta-ta.

Kiwi

Bagzz
10-26-2004, 10:30 AM
GOOOOOOOO RED SOXXXXXXX!!!!!!!WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO-----Up here in the Maritimes where alot of the people are originally from New England {ran from all the in-fighting}we have been RED SOX fans for years----the {now defunct} Expos and Blue Jays took some of the thunder as they were based in CAnada but right about now RED SOX is all you hear at Timmy's!!!!!I can't seem to resist staying up til it's over------------- :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: bad mornings result!!!----ANYway----i have been AWOL for a few days as my friend and i went on our usual Fall Foliage Tour---lots of fun---stayed at a hotel that would remind you of the movie "the Shining"---very old and big and cooooooooool!!!!Spooky!!!!!anyway---glad Loharsie has been posting---i miss her unique perspective on life in general!!! and we LOVE Painty's musings!!!and i am so glad that wabby had a wonderful anniversary!!! ANDDDDDDDdd i want to try cowpie's recipe annnnnnnnnnnd i am so glad kiwonkers is enjoying the fall foliage out on her walks annnnnnnnnnnd i want to call sugar's mother too and get some advice!!! seeeeeeeeeeeee yasssssssssssss !!!! GO SOX GO SOX GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wabby
10-26-2004, 03:35 PM
Bagzie, the exteriors of the hotel in the Shining were filmed right here at our Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood. For some reason, I just thought you'd want to know. :dizzy: A fall foliage tour w/ girlfriends sounds fun. I just love this time of year, the drive up the Columbia Gorge this weekend was so beautiful with all the trees in full color. And I love to see everyone's Halloween displays on porches around town. I thought maybe I'd get some photos in my email.

Kiwi, I haven't been doing any walking outside, but I've been doing Leslie Sansone's 2 mile walk every weekday morning. The city is building a park w/ walking paths about 2 blocks from our place. It will be so nice to walk somewhere without getting run over on our country road. City limits are getting that close now. New subdivision going in across the road.

blah, blah, blah, blah blah. Geez, I'm even boring myself here. Lush, get back here and shake us up.

http://libweb.uoregon.edu/events/aitl/view.jpg

Here's our Timberline Lodge. Yep. Mine personally.

Bagzz
10-26-2004, 11:01 PM
heyyyyyyyyyyyy wabby@@!!! that hotel is gorgeous!!! here is my hotel---there was word at the time of the Shining movie that they were scouting MY hotel as well---after all darling----Stephen King is only three hours away from here in Kiwi-land----Peach butt and i were actually at his creepy gates!!!!

http://www.fairmont.com/algonquin/

SugP
10-27-2004, 07:15 AM
Pleez stop reminding me about The Shining! I couldn't sleep for three days after I saw that one. Although I wouldn't mind rattling Stephen King's gate. (Does that sound rude? :o )

Well, I had a nice talk with Mummy. Actually, she talked and I just sobbed into the phone. I hate talking on the phone, even to my mother. But anway, although she didn't say all that much, except for telling me how crappily everyone else in the family was doing (as per my post a while ago where all h*ll had broken loose) it made me feel a whole lot better. She said I should think about getting therapy or medication but I think I'll try to snap out of it and give it a go myself first. And then on Monday my sweet little dad even called to see how I was doing. He's so cute. He said "Hmm, do you think this is part of your mid-life crisis?" and "Mum says you don't have many friends over there. Heck, who needs friends? I don't have any friends and just look at me!" Sure Dad, the reason you don't have any friends is because you're 75 years old and they've all passed away. He was trying so hard to be helpful.

Just spent the last 3 1/2 hours down at the school turning wine corks into 365 pretend candles and painting them pretty colours because Baldwin Bookworm's birthday is only 3 weeks away. The OberSuperMegaDebbie was there being obsessively and completely in control, as usual, but I got to sit at another table. She still gave me a headache, though. :coffee:

Way to go on that walking, Wabby! I haven't done the Leslie tape in a while but I actually like it because it's so mindless and before you know it, you're done. No fuss, no muss. If you walk anywhere around here, people stop and ask if they can drive you somewhere!

Got five pumpkins. Must start carving.

Wabby
10-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Hey, Sugar, I wish I could be your 3D friend. Good friends are so hard to come by. I actually prefer talking on the phone when I get 'that way' because then no one can see me go into the ugly cry. Don't try and be too tough, if therapy or meds can help you, then by all means go for it. Sounds like you have wonderful parents.

My sis told me that her DS's school is having a "harvest" party. Halloween parties are not PC anymore. She says they can have pumpkins, but they can not be carved into jack-o-lanterns and no halloween motif things are allowed. No costumes. No witches, no ghosts, nothing. What is the world coming to??? We were saying Thanksgiving was probably offensive to Indians so we'd just have to start calling it Fatty day, then we decided obese ppl would be offended.

Bagzie, your hotel is gorgeous! I'll stay there next time I'm in town, ok?

Kiwonk
10-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Sugar, you should be watching the Red Sox games! Stephen King has been at all the home games. I guess there might not be anymore home games if the Cards keep doing so badly; the Sox could win it in the next one, before they get back to Boston. People are delirious here, it's very funny. I got a hysterical email from my usually very cynical half-brother the other day - "Is everybody watching??* Are we really ready for this???*.......* Nobody in our lifetimes has ever seen this... we're about to make history!**...... etc. etc." Heehee.

I'm totally amused by the fact that you're doing wine cork crafts to celebrate a bookworm's birthday, Sug. Isn't it just bizarre the stuff we end up doing? I mean, when you graduated high school, if someone told you that you would spend half a day painting corks for Baldwin Bookworm, you'd have had them locked up, right?

Bagz, darling, I lovvvvvvvvve The Algonquin! Of course, I've never stayed there, only driven by to see it.

I hate talking on the phone. I don't know why. I find it awkward. Of course, then there's the negative reinforcement of those phone calls where I have to explain that "I'm your Aunt, you cretinous child" because they don't know who I am. I've taken to calling myself by my full name to a lot relatives; it just doesn't seem right.

Uhoh, DD's home. I told her I've have dinner going for her when she got here. ahem. Bye.

Never mind, it was DH. But still. Bye.

Kiwi

Wabby
10-27-2004, 08:07 PM
I want to hear outrage at the demise of the Halloween party. And where are our Halloween smilies????

I have certain ppl I talk on the phone to for an hour at a time. 1. my older sister, 2. my sil that lives in Arizona, 3. my ex sil who was married to my DH's brother 20 years ago.

Bagzz
10-27-2004, 11:19 PM
okay,i am watching the ball game but first let me say that i LOVE kiwonk's word "cretinous"---absolutely brilliant!! and WABBY---i am outraged about the hallowe'en party crap---tomorrow my darling son is going to school as Dracula and i will send you pics of him and my darling sissy's three little ones----should be fun---they have a parade around the gym showing off their costumes for the parents---the kindergarten kids are hilarious!!!----------gotta go see th eclipse and the SOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX{good one on the spam/porno comment kiweeble!!!!}SUGARRRRRRRRRR-----------i love you----we all love you!!!----do whatever you have to do to feel better------------------even if it seems selfish----you need to take care of YOU before you can look after the others=====looking out for number one is in order here!!!!!

PainterWoman
10-28-2004, 03:03 AM
May all their pumpkins leer and sneer.
If we can't admit that their are ghosts and ghoulies and pretend that everything is as sweet and cloying as precious moments, how will we deal with reality? :devil: :devil: :lol:

CONGRATS TO THE SOX.

Cowpernia
10-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Here in Dogpatch, children are encouraged to dress up as Biblical characters for Halloween. Did I mention that I know THREEEEE real - life people (besides me) who are voting for Kerry????

PainterWoman
10-28-2004, 12:29 PM
and I voted for Kerry.
But I heard via IM last night that DS is considering Bush. AAAAAAAAAAAACK!! Under the influence of his girl friend. Well, I've sent him a bunch of URL's. And the Beef stea recipe.
Have a great day, all.
Hey, it's Thursday. Thank goodness. I'm off to clients and then auto shop.

Wabby
10-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Bagzie, I can't wait for the little Dracula pictures! We live down a long, dark driveway so we don't get any little trick or treaters. We do, of course buy candy just in case. For the kids. Yeah, that's the story. :devil:

I went walking w/ Leslie again this morning. I can't believe how good it makes me feel when I get finished. Not when I'm actually doing it, but afterwards I have so much more energy. Then I come into the office and turn back into a lump. My work just sucks the life outta me. Not that I work all that hard.

We've got about a 50/50 Bush-Kerry split around here. What's with Florida, Peach? I wouldn't think it would be so conservative.

The ban on Halloween at the schools is because it might offend those who practice the Wicken religion. Can you believe it?

And Sugar, I second what Bagzie said. She is so wise.

PainterWoman
10-29-2004, 04:09 AM
The ban on Halloween at the schools is because it might offend those who practice the Wicken religion. Can you believe it?

:dizzy: Of all the odd reasons. I think Wiccans in Texas are glad to be noticed at all. It's the Christians who are terrified. Did you know that there are "haunted houses" sponsored by Churchs that preach the horrors of premarital sex, drugs (and probably rock and roll)? If you get a chance to watch King of the Hill this week, they manage to pretty much "capture" how it is around here.

:stress:I'm scared because I need to confess (or at least divulge bulgey weight) to nutritionist tomorrow. I've been in Candy Corn mode among other things. Nothing's gotten looser this week except a few screws.... Feh. I'll get strong. Eventually.
Walking would be a good idea. Especially "having completed walking"!!

And I'm gonna cook Cowpernias stew in the crock tomorrow nite!!! :tired:

SugP
10-29-2004, 06:09 AM
Hmmm. I thought people of the Wiccan persuasion were all "Merry Meet" and "Blessed Be" and "do unto others" and all that. Why would they get ruffled up by a little Halloween fun? I don't get it. You sure the Fundamentalists aren't behind all this? We all KNOW how evil Halloween candy and little kids dressed up like SpongeBob are, right? :D

I just faked my way through another English tutoring session with M, a lovely young woman who is working on her PhD in biology. We discuss stuff like photosynthesis and plant enzymes and I try to act like I know what I'm doing. :^:

Kiwi! You're not nearly as amused as I am that I'm doing cork crafts to celebrate a worm's birthday. :D :D They want to make this giant cake out of rolls of toilet paper and some of the SuperMoms are taking it soooooooooo seriously. It's like their lives depend on it or something. Hmm, maybe their lives DO depend on it.

Wabby
10-29-2004, 03:01 PM
I think the powers that be only think they're offending Wiccans. It must be a big conspiracy to take all the fun out of school.

I have a headache today. I'm here at work anyway. It's payday. I'm not allowed a sick day if it falls on a payday.

Candy corn consumption is one of those things that start out innocently enough. It's not a candy that you just love, so it should be easy to resist. Then you take just one, and bite just the white tip off. Then the orangy middle part. Before you know it, you're shoveling it in by the handful. You don't stop until you start to feel a little queazy. This is the evil that is candy corn. :devil: A true halloween candy. The devil invented it. Same thing goes for red hots at valentines day. You know what I'm talking about.

Bagzz
10-29-2004, 03:20 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT SUGAR!!!! TO GET LOST IN THE CREATION OF SUCH BENIGN-ITIES--------TO HAVE SUCH SO LITTLE TO CONCENTRATE ON----SUCH BLISS-------it must require Valium or one of the old Stepford Tranquilzers!!!!----BACKING UP A BIT---------WHAT JOY THE OTHER NIGHT WHEN THE RED SOX SWEPT THE CARDINALS!!!!!SUCH A WONDERFUL NIGHT!!!--- i was grouchy all day yesterday due to the 2am bedtime but it was worth it!!!good to have such things to focus on for a while----and NOW ---the ELECTION!!!!! :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: SPEAKING OF HALLOWE'EN!!! WHO IS SCARIER????well, the famous pollster who was on the daily show said that KERRY IS GOING TO WIN!!!! so cheer up my fellow "amar-i-kens"--we shall soon be out of the woods-----it said on NEtscape news yesterday that 100,000 Iraqui Civilians have been killed since the beginning of the waR----I have never seen that in print before but i had imagined that the numbers would be high---they must feel so "liberated".................... :o anyway--------wish i could get down to Boston for the big Sox parade tomorrow---are ya going Kiwonk????? :D :D

Kiwonk
10-29-2004, 05:08 PM
The ban on Halloween at the schools is because it might offend those who practice the Wicken religion. Can you believe it? Yeah, of all people, you wouldn't think Wiccans would be a bunch of killjoys, would you?

It still doesn't make sense to me though, if it's offensive for children to dress up as something that is meaningful to a particular religion, why would it be okay for the kids to dress up in biblical characters? I don't see any reason for Christians to be concerned about it either, kids don't normally put on costumes to perform satanic rituals, they do it for fun. They are putting on disguises for fun. Christians put on plays; it shouldn't be such a stretch to understand this. And you don't have to "celebrate Halloween" to be evil, for heaven's sake. I'm just disgusted with people who try to make everything other people do into an affront to themselves. It's manufactured and it offends me!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am offended by people outlawing Halloween for their own clueless purposes! :lol: So there!

Did you know that there are "haunted houses" sponsored by Churchs that preach the horrors of premarital sex, drugs (and probably rock and roll)? If you get a chance to watch King of the Hill this week, they manage to pretty much "capture" how it is around here.good grief, I thought that was just a joke. Do they let the kids wear costumes? Every week here in town there is a youth thing where they preach at them for a bit before they let them play basketball or watch movies, or whatever, not much different, eh? DD used to go to those a lot when she was in middle school. It was a place to hang out with friends on a weekend night, so she put up with the lectures about what was "satanic". Sometimes she or one of her friends would try to argue with the guy, but mostly she just vented the garbage when she got home and I assured her he was wrong. :lol:

Oo, Sugar, what an opportunity! In the middle of fashioning the tp cake, you go to the restroom and come back and announce "there's no toilet paper in the bathroom" and see who laughs.

You are so right about candy corn, Wabbit. Insidious. I like to vary it and eat some of those candy pumpkins too. We don't of course have trick or treaters here in the middle of the woods, but we buy bags of Reese's cups or Hershey minis just in case. They're in the freezer to make it harder to eat them all at once...

Oh dear, not going to the Red Sox parade, Bagz :no: A bit far to travel to be crushed by screaming sports fans. However tomorrow I have 3 (yes, 3!) tickets to the John Edwards rally in Bangor!! DD is definitely going with me, and after I pleaded charmingly with DH, he said to get him a ticket but he doesn't think he'll be going. Well, at least he'll feel like he has to get some work done around here, if he doesn't go, so it's all good!! I'm looking forward to it; I haven't been to a presidential candidate rally in decades. Way back in the day, I went to hear John Anderson speak (anyone remember him?), and I was at the DNConv. in 1976, although I was a lowly peon working for the Massachusetts delegation who wasn't allowed on the floor of the hall at all, but I did get to see most of the candidates. And drink a lot.

Kiwi

Bagzz
10-29-2004, 05:32 PM
yahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Kiwonkers have a ball at the rally!!! i bought a Kerry/Edwards pin to wear when i was at the boston airport in August-----one of mom's friends who used to live in Salt Lake City has confiscated it!!! I bought a Bushwacker/Chainsaw one too FOR A LAUGH!!!!!--------------HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!{FOR THE RECORD,WE TOOK A POLL IN CANADA AND KERRY WINS BY A COUNTRY MILE ---OR A MILLION COUNTRY MILES}!!!!!

Bagzz
10-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Kerry Wins Canada in a Landslide

In Canada, the land where Al-Jazeera is allowed to broadcast but Fox News is not, voters would choose John Kerry for president - in a landslide.

Ipsos-Reid took a poll of Canadians for The Globe and Mail and CTV, and found that 60 percent of Canadians would vote for Kerry and only 22 percent for President Bush.

Not surprisingly, folks in Quebec, a heavily French-speaking province of Canada known as la belle province, support Kerry by a 69 percent margin.

But support for Kerry is high all over the Country, even in Alberta, where a conservative premier named Ralph Klein has used GOP-style governance to balance the budget, wipe out the province's debt and deregulate and privatize state businesses.

Sixty percent of Alberta's citizens would still vote for Kerry.

The highest percentage of Bush supporters come from Atlantic Canada, reports the Globe and Mail, where 37 percent like Bush; but 51 percent still want Kerry.

Fifty-six percent of Canadians feel that Kerry would be a better friend to Canada than Bush.

Interestingly, despite some recent hockey game booing and trade disputes, 73 percent of Canadians polled still admire Americans.

Editor's note:
# Find out about the $2 billion media war against President Bush Click Here

Read more on this subject in related Hot Topics:
George W. Bush
Media Bias :^:

Cowpernia
10-29-2004, 05:44 PM
The computer I'm on .. Dogpatch office ... Well ... I got an automatically sent message saying I had sent someone a virus. W32.NetskyAB ... We have Norton on here and it looks like it automatically updates when it's on once a day. Corporate version. But it didn't catch the virus??? I scanned and it didn't find anything. Someone hep me.

I promise not to send you email from this puter til it's all fixed.

Kiwonk
10-29-2004, 07:05 PM
The $2 billion media war against Bush? I wonder how much is spent for him by the media in the form of bias. I see it all the time. Bias by omission. If you've already read a news story elsewhere and you watch the coverage of the same thing on TV, it's easy to spot. I was just watching a few minutes of CNN, which supposedly is biased against Bush, right? They were talking about the Bush campaign pulling the song from their rallies "Still the One" by Orleans because the writer of the song objected that he didn't give permission. They didn't mention that he didn't give permission because he is a Kerry supporter and was very upset that the Bush campaign was using his song! Isn't that bias by omission? And certainly not a "liberal" bias? Or have they become so afraid of being accused of being anti-Bush that they can no longer report the facts?

Kiwonk
10-29-2004, 07:13 PM
I get messages occasionally saying that I'm sending out something that's been blocked. They are never things that I actually sent out. They are spam messages that have swiped my email address as the reply. This could be the same thing with you. If you're not getting anything from real people that say they've gotten a virus from you, and Norton has been scanning your computer as well as updating, you are okay. Be sure Norton has run a system scan recently or do one now.

Kiwonk
10-29-2004, 07:15 PM
By the way, sorry for all the political rants. I don't get to vent anywhere else. DH won't talk to me about politics. Obviously he's afraid I'll change his mind.

Bagzz
10-30-2004, 09:37 AM
want me to find you the article on the billion dollar media thingy???? the link didn't work on the cut and paste !!------------i don't know that much about politics---i just hate war and killing and that makes me ANTI bushwack!!!--------------finallly a sunny day---it's been cloudy all week!!! xoxoxo

PainterWoman
10-30-2004, 01:37 PM
:) :) Sorry to say it really IS true that Southern Babtist churches here sponsor Haunted Houses that demonstrate the hellish wages of sin: drugs, fornication and all those things that we used to "just" be scared of and fascinated by... as opposed to having a psychic economics lecture on. DH and I watched several segments of King of The Hill on the commedy network night before last... (their "Hilloween" specials)... They've got the fundamentalist Texan down to a Tee. I had to ask myself again why I left the west coast!!)

The Wiccan bunch and ornery teenagers were on the evening news last night. The kids, interestingly enough, were NOT dressed like witches... so why were the witches upset. Now if Ghosts and Grunge musicians file a protest... that'll be something different. I don't want protests by proxy. (Who would a ghost send to vote its proxy? Zell Miller, maybe? ) :?: :?:

I'm delighted that Kerry is winning somewhere. I hope he wins in the US, all over, on Tuesday.

I also hope that if anybody in our little group is actually forBush, they's step forward so we don't step on their toes....
I'd love to see the Bush $$ link if someone finds it. Do you think the administrator purged it? I've had spammers use my address to send stuff to... I can tell because I get the "undeliverable mail" notices. Grrrrrrr. :p

Ciao. Hope you each remain the master of the Candy Corn, rather than vice versa.

Bagzz
10-30-2004, 03:23 PM
let me seeeeeeeeee-who here is for the current Presssss???---cowpern said she voted Kerry,we KNOW what Kiwonk thinks!!!----we REALLY KNOW what Lush thinks---we know how painty feels,we know how canada feels {does this translate to Sugar in germany???}wabby have i missed your vote{i do have alzies now you know}----Cherry has been mia for awhile so we would have to poll her------------i guess we have learned from our jehovah's witness "conversation' that we are QUITE capable of Toe Smashing!!!! :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

Kiwonk
10-30-2004, 06:46 PM
Yep, Bagz, we do have a way of stepping on toes, don't we? Guess we have big feet! Anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to state their own point of view.

But we have Halloween smilies!!!

:) :) :p :devil: :p :) :)

Heehee, threw that devil in just for the Hallelujah people. I wonder how many people I've offended on Halloween over the years? Let's see, I remember my Green Giant costume (made it myself with plastic leaves), my blue crayon year, also homemade. The various Disney princess costumes with the stiff plastic masks, the year I went as a hobo. I'm sure I must have been a cowgirl at least once. In college I dressed up as a Dutch girl. Well, how offensive! When I was pregnant I took an orange t-shirt and made a jack-o-lantern out of myself, complete with green felt stem and leaves (then a few years later I altered the costume to fit DD). Oh, I know, the most offensive costume I ever wore was as a bag lady. My boyfriend at the time dressed as a wino. We were so effective that nobody spoke to us the whole evening at the party.

Painter, you're a hoot. Zell Miller it is. Here he is: :o

Would this photo be too political? I really want to post it. I hope it's okay.

Kiwi

PainterWoman
10-30-2004, 08:07 PM
For the first year EVER I will be wearing a BOUGHT costume to a Halloween thingy. DH had persuaded me that we wouldn't costume ourselves... and I was agreeable... then he spoke to the host who said costumes were "required." (Let me know that SOME people can boss DH around, too. hee hee) :) :) He'll be wearing prison stripes. I'll be in some peculiar "Renaissance Witch" get up. which you can see here (www.buycostumes.com/productdetail.aspx?productID=6229&PCatID=adultcostumes&ccatid=adultpluswomen)
The poorest costume choice was the year I went to a party primarily attended by a group of gay friends... They were spectacularly ghoulish... Velvet capes, painted nails... beyond belief in effort and creativity. I went as a "nun" in wimple and mini skirt. Between them not being ... um... 'into women' and being a nun, hardly anybody would talk to me. :devil:

Here's my disclaimer: My apologies to anyone from the 13-16th centuries who is offended by my poor execution of fashion, to any witch who doesn't like long dresses or glitter hats, to any Wiccan who thinks this is what I think of them, and to anybody who takes themselves too seriously.

Kiwonk
10-31-2004, 12:10 AM
We are just staying home tomorrow night. I didn't have time to carve our pumpkin today -- spent most of the day driving down to the John Edwards rally and back. We did fit in a stop to the Farmer's Market, where I got some lovely veggies: A nice cabbage (I have a corned beef brisket in the 'fridge waiting for tomorrow's dinner), 5# of apples, some cool baby carrots (the real kind), a variety of potatoes including black, some very long leeks, and a few pretty onions. Oh, and a parsnip. I don't think DD has ever had a parsnip before, so that will be novel. It's a veggie week. Maybe I'll carve the pumpkin tomorrow. What should I make it look like? I seem to have run out of ideas.

That's a nice witch, Painty. Frankly I'm surprised the gay guys didn't take to the nun. Did you threaten them with a ruler?

Here's the costume I want: Frost Bite Adult (http://www.buycostumes.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11360&PCatID=adultcostumes&ccatid=adultclassicwomen) You know, 'cuz I'm such an Ice Queen.

Actually I just like the name. Frost Bite Adult. Makes me laugh.

Hey, that reminds me -- guess what I'm wearing? No, nothing like that. I'm wearing a turtleneck, and heavy wool sweater, silk long undies under my jeans, and heavy wool socks. Mainly because I was standing out in the cold for 2-3 hours today, and I just haven't bothered to change. It turned out to be a pretty nice day -- very sunny, so the 45 felt much warmer, so I didn't even need the fleece jacket I was wearing, let alone the gloves, headband and winter coat I had brought with me. On the other hand, last night at the football game, I needed every layer and more: I had on 5 layers on top, 2 on bottom, plus winter boots. Isn't that nuts? It was below freezing. Only stayed for 1/2 the game, didn't see the need to watch our team get creamed for any longer (33-0 at halftime). :rolleyes:

Frost Bite Adult Kiwi

SugP
10-31-2004, 09:00 AM
For an old guy, I mean. ;) I don't believe I've ever said "hottie" before. :)

Yessiree, I think most Germans think Bush is a nutbag. No one offended on this side. We can get Aljazeera TV, weirdly enough. I'd watch it if I could understand it. I wonder if Osama's sudden reappearance is going to swing things one way or the other?

They don't really celebrate Halloween over here, but kids can smell free candy a mile away and they know my kids DO celebrate it at home, so they were already ringing the doorbell yesterday evening AND this morning at 11:30. I tried to gently explain to them that Halloween isn't until tonight, but they insisted that it was yesterday AND today and just any old time you want. I guess they'll get the hang of it in a couple of years. There's this woman Lutheran bishop who they always interview in the paper and of course she's just incensed that Halloween has arrived. She has to put in her two cents about EVERYTHING that offends her delicate Christian sensibilities and is one of the most intolerant people I've even come across. So there. Silly woman. Get a life. :devil:

Must get going on the Halloween menu for tonight. I'll take a picture if I remember. Red jello hand and scary weenie fingers figure prominently. :p :)

PainterWoman
10-31-2004, 12:31 PM
I think my computer is telling me to get a life!! It just shut down, but (eventually) rebooted with no damage that I've noticed. Talk about SPOOKY!

Kiwi, what about what Edwards SAID? I have an inborn distrust of any man who's too cute... (except Tom Cruise, and I haven't had the opportunity to compare looks with reality!)

Must go try a version of Columbian Stew... (I forgot sweet potatoes at the store... will make substitutions out of pantry.... I'll get to make it again according to the "official" recipe.

Here's me in the Middle Ages Witch get up. DH actually LIKED the 60's/70/s hair... omigod!

Kiwonk
10-31-2004, 02:39 PM
For an old guy, I mean. ;) I don't believe I've ever said "hottie" before. :) Yes, he is. A real looker. He's got a great smile too. Both of the Democrats have really good hair. :lol:
Must get going on the Halloween menu for tonight. I'll take a picture if I remember. Red jello hand and scary weenie fingers figure prominently. :p :) Excellent! Sounds like great fun!

Painty, did your puter reboot by itself or did you have to do it? Betcha anything your computer had just updated something -- Windows Update, Virus Protection or something -- and it had to reboot to complete the update and you just missed the message that told you that. It's very easy to hit okay when you think you are on something else.

Edwards was excellent. He brought his parents onstage with him. They looked very normal and sweet. It wasn't that he had anything new to say, after all it was a political rally, not a debate of the issues or anything, but he made you feel good about supporting the ticket. He didn't strike me as the kind of good looking guy you couldn't trust, more like the type who would listen to you and make you feel right at home. I figured I would give DD the complete political experience, so I pulled her through the crowd and we got to shake hands with him. :lol: I wonder if he noticed the fingerless gloves she was wearing that said Punk on one and Rock on the other... :o

The costume looks good! Well, I can barely see it, but what I could see looked good. How come it's so small? A lot of people have been sending me tiny little pictures lately, I think there may be a thumbnail epidemic going around :lol3:

Kiwi

Cowpernia
10-31-2004, 11:15 PM
Halloween in Dogpatch and DS and have three bags of candy just for ourselves. Halloween is of the devil and has been terminated. Or .... get this ... one of the clubs in town used to sponsor Halloween. This year, they cancelled it because it's on SUNDAY so another club decided to have a place for kids to go and the first club is ALL MAD and saying they have no right and kids won't be safe because the second club won't do it as well.

I like the Halloween pictures. Nice sox. Red.

Bagzz
11-01-2004, 10:48 PM
okay!!!!!!!!!! TOMORROW IS YOUR BIG DAY YOU YANKEES YOU!!!! YEE HAAH!!!----now we can't say anything bad about Edwards cause YES he is cute,but he lost a son in I think a car accident so there is nothing worse than that in the WORLD---i can't imagine how he can even smile that beautiful smile!!! AND YOU GUYS SHOOK HIS HAND!!!!--- he is a little OLD for me though-----My CANADIAN idol turns NINETEEN next week!!! yee hah!!AND his CD comes out this month and he is on a promo tour that will take him to MY town~!!!I HAVE TO LOSE FIFTY POUNDS {AND THIRTY YEARS!!!!} go KERRY go KERRY go KERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [GO RED SOX] SOCK!!!! :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Kiwonk
11-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Sock!

I will be very glad when the election is over and I can stop biting my nails. Or, as I was saying to DD this morning, when the election is over and the real fight begins :yikes:

Yeah Bagz, you cradle-robber you, Edwards is too old for you. Not for me, though. I wouldn't know what to do with a 19-year-old these days (introduce him to my daughter?) :lol:

I want to vote several times tomorrow.

Kiwi

Bagzz
11-02-2004, 07:26 AM
I FORGOT TO MENTION OUR RESIDENT HOTTIE ----PAINTYGIRL!!!!---------COOL OUTFIT!!!---WISH THE PIC WAS BIGGER -----NOT ONLY LOSING MY RELIGION BUT ME EYESITE TOO!!!----------------you must have had a GREAT time at your party!!!!----sooooooooooooooooooo everyone ----GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!! SOCK!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kiwonk
11-02-2004, 05:56 PM
I voted! Big surprise, huh? It's raining here in Maine. Tres dreary. But I am going back to the high school tonight for the walking club. Something a little twisted about spending half an hour walking around a high school, but whatever, it gets me out.

I think my dryer bit the dust. I came home after being gone at least an hour and a load was still tumbling. There's no heat at all. That's bad enough, but DH is going out of town tomorrow for a few days and he needs the underwear that is sitting soggy in the dryer as well as the shirts that are waiting behind them in the laundry queue. Laundry queue--heehee. So not only will I have to take those into the laundromat--Uhoh, I better make sure it's open tonight--but I will have to figure out how to get the damned thing fixed too. Something always breaks or goes wrong at our house when he goes out of town. One time we had 3 feet of snow when he went away and we were heating with wood and I ran out of wood!

Go Kerry Go Kerry Go Kerry Go Kerry

SugP
11-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Sounds exactly like something that would happen to me, Kiwi! Our washing machine drains through a hose into a sink and once the drain was clogged and the water gushed all over the floor before I noticed. Luckily there were about 200 lbs of dirty clothes lying there to soak it all up. :D Hope the laundromat is open.

Tonight while I was shining my sink I felt something creepy inside one of my lovely yellow rubber gloves so I took it off to look and there was an EARWIG crawling around in there. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeew! Earwigs freak me out. I showed no mercy. Bad karma, I know.:devil: Oh well.

Can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning and see who won. They're making a big deal of it over here with live coverage starting at midnight. Go Kerry!!

What's this? :o A disgruntled clown?

Bagzz
11-02-2004, 07:48 PM
GO KERRY GO KERRY GO KERRY GO KERRY GO KERRY!!!!!!!!!SOCK!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SugP
11-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Ahhhhhhh! Go vote again! It's only 8:05 a.m. here. Hopefully things are going to improve, but I'm not that optimistic. Think positive, think positive, think positive. :jig: :cb: :cheer: :love: (make brownies, not war!)

GO KERRY!!!

Lohani
11-03-2004, 09:06 AM
I'm despondent.

Wabby
11-03-2004, 01:13 PM
In four more years we have the chance to come up with a candidate who can win.

I'm going to be watching Barrack Obama. I think he's the brightest Democratic rising star. He got elected to the senate, now he just has to perform.

PainterWoman
11-03-2004, 02:22 PM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
I am not happy about election results. Life must go on.

Thanks Baggz for the "resident hottie" remark. How fleeting it was!

Bagzz
11-03-2004, 03:44 PM
[/FONT]--someone told me that an Anti-Bush person HOPED he WOULD get re-elected SOOOOOOOOOO HE would be the one who has to live with the mess he created and try to clean it up=====what an awful thing it would be to inherit the disaster he has created-----if he can't fix it,then it will finally be truly revealed what a loser he really is!!! not that this helps anyone-----do you think it's true that alot of the Bush Supporters are " family values,gun lovin,anti-abortion,pro capital punishment,anti-gay marriage,anti-grass smoking " types----------------not like canadians who love pot smokin gays-----okay,i am done ranting------------------i guess we just have to dig in for the next four years----hopefully they will change the rules and Clinton can run again,instead of his pot smokin gay wife{ JUST kidding---about the wife i mean} :o :o

Cowpernia
11-03-2004, 09:29 PM
I am sick about it. I live amongst people who believe that God Himself put Bush in office. Four years of hearing about how Bush was once again annointed Leader of the Free World! I can not bear it. I am surly and want to hit people. Do you notice how after the election all these experts pop up to explain what happened? It appears that since Kennedy, only southern Democrats have won. They keep running ones from the northeast who lose. Couldn't this have been pointed out earlier? Well, Johnson won but he passed civil rights bills and all those hillbillies turned Republican and filled the legislature with those kinds. It is just too awful. Bush can not fix his mess. He does not see anything as a mess. It's all good.

PainterWoman
11-04-2004, 02:33 AM
Apparently it was Goldwater in 1964 who was more Southern than Southern Democrats and got the rural South to be in favor of Republicans rather than a "liberal" like LBJ. If you can have a master manipulator FOR civil rights like LBJ from Texas, and a master manipulat-ee like GWB who seems to be in the Guns/God/(anti)Gay camp, it just goes to show that not all Texans are made the same. :p

Did anyone hear a guy named Lakeoff interviewed on NPR... About how progressives can talk coherently about how they have "values," too? I think one thing the Republicans did very well was articulate what they were FOR. I think the Dems managed to mostly talk about what they were AGAINST... which is not quite so appealing. Look for it here. (http://www.chelseagreen.com/2004/items/elephant)

So. It is cool here. tomorrow I will exercise. Ta Daaaaaaaaaaaaaa. :lol: :lol:

SugP
11-04-2004, 06:46 AM
You cows can all come and live with me for four years if you want. You'll have to share the hide-a-bed and the chips, though. I'm sure we'll manage.

That's a good point about Bush having to clean up his own mess now, Kiwi. Maybe the people who voted for him will actually get the idea this time.

I walked three miles with Leslie on Sunday, did 30 mins Pilates on Monday and 40 mins yoga last night. Still not even close to being buff. Just can't understand it.

Cowpernia
11-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Here is how I feel. It's a Boondocks cartoon. Look at it soon as they take the images down fast. 4 more years (http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/2004/10/31/)

Cowpernia
11-04-2004, 01:58 PM
I didn't write this but I like it.

The Terrorists....

love our reelected President, George Bush. President Bush has led our country to fighting decoys. Indeed, he has sought out some of the Terrorist, but many remain at large, including the ring leader (BL). Had he diverted the resources put into the war in Iraq toward fighting the Terrorist they would probably all be history. Over a hundred thousand people have been murdered in this war.

Interesting that in order to get Iraq to be a true democracy it will require separating church (Muslim) and state which are historically melded together, while at the same time GWB is promoting merging of church (mostly evangelical Christian) and state in the USA.

Interesting that Bush promotes mostly only one component of Christian morality--the anti abortion issue. Kerry's values are more representative of the many remaining Christian moral and ethical issues. Again, it's not right, in my opinion, for Bush to use the church as a vehicle for promoting his agenda as he gains leadership supported by blind "trust" from this large block of born again evangelical Christians. Interesting that the educated and upper middle class ones in the south often refer, and often jokingly, to many of the rest of their comrades as Red Necks.

The North Koreans love George bush who has taken them and their development of nuclear weapons out of the USA public eye.

The Terrorist love the rift the war in Iraq has caused with our Allies--Divide and Conquer! They love to see Americans split and divided over the war in Iraq--Divide and Conquer!

They all love seeing how effective George Bush is in eliciting fear (Terror) in the American people thus promoting his agenda and their cause. Interesting that New York City, the victim of the terror that led to the war in Iraq, voted nearly 75% for Kerry!

The last thing the Terrorist wanted to see is John Kerry, a man who honorably served his country in Vietnam, in office. Jesus would not have been elected in his time either.

This election has brought many concerns of the American people to the forefront and I think this will cause President Bush to address many of these issues from a fresh point of view. I, for one, will be watching a little more closely as the future plays itself out.

God Bless All People

God Bless All God's Creation

United We Stand

Kiwonk
11-04-2004, 03:05 PM
I've been too angry and depressed to get online.

do you think it's true that alot of the Bush Supporters are " family values,gun lovin,anti-abortion,pro capital punishment,anti-gay marriage,anti-grass smoking " types Yes, that is exactly true. They think they have a monopoly on "values" by which they apparently mean, people who appear to be ordinary like them. Regardless of who they really are or what they actually stand for. It seems that anyone who admits to being the least bit intelligent and coming from the east coast is automatically an evil pinko fag who is going to turn their sons gay and make their daughters stop having babies every 10 months. Or read a book or something.

Heck, no I'm not bitter. LOL

Did anyone hear a guy named Lakeoff interviewed on NPR... About how progressives can talk coherently about how they have "values," too? I think one thing the Republicans did very well was articulate what they were FOR. I think the Dems managed to mostly talk about what they were AGAINST... which is not quite so appealing. I didn't hear that guy, but you are so right. The campaign was so intent on telling people where Kerry stood on the issues, they forgot that the whole point was to make people like you. :rolleyes: Absolutely true. If he'd been a pious pandering dimwit, he might have gotten elected. All that insistence on keeping to the issues missed the point. I don't think Democrats have the stomach for the dishonesty it takes to hoodwink the "average voter". I mean, can you believe that all these ultra conservative Christian types were led to the polls believing that a man who'd been arrested 3 times had better values than an upstanding senator who'd served with distinction in Vietnam? There really is no hope for this country, not in the short run.

I do think, if anything, this election has opened some people's eyes and perhaps radicalized some young people and a few staunch old liberals, like me. All I want to do now is work for abortion rights and against religious inroads into government. I'm through thinking people will see reason if you just present it to them. My only problem is that I already live in a "blue state" where people refuse to be told what to do. Do I need to move?

Kiwi

Cowpernia
11-04-2004, 03:43 PM
The goat bells are MINE!!! I bought goat bells on ebay!!! yEHHHAHHH. I am mad at the Democrats. They shoulda done a better job but the GOATTT BELLS ARE MINE!! til Christmas.

Wabby
11-04-2004, 04:19 PM
The reason that Bush won is that ppl in the south and the midwest do not relate to Kerry. It's certainly not because Bush has done a good job. It's not enough to appeal to ppl in the northeast and west coast. Like it or not, it's not all about issues. It's a popularity contest and Kerry didn't have enough "ah shucks, I'm just a common guy" charisma that he needed. We need to start grooming the next Democratic nominee now.

My puter is giving me all kinds of trouble. I'm afraid I have some kind of virus, so I won't be emailing until I figure it out. Don't want to infect anybody. Ick.

Kiwonk
11-04-2004, 07:31 PM
Poor Wabbit! Computer sick! DH's puter is always contracting adware and spyware; we have to keep at it all the time.

I'm uploading 2 amusing pictures. One is our jack-o-lantern in the dark, and the other one I call "Bush reaching across the aisle". I was so infuriated yesterday that I took a swipe at the photo of Bush on the front page of the paper and somehow managed to rip this exact piece of paper out. Doesn't it look like he's (somewhat incompetently) flipping the bird? :lol:

We have to amuse ourselves where we can.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
11-04-2004, 07:35 PM
I like this:

The most telling statistics on the Florida vote were printed on page 27A of the Nov. 3 Herald. For Bush voters, the issues were terrorism, moral values and taxes. For Kerry voters, the issues were the economy/jobs, healthcare and education. This is the essence of the ''two Americas'' that we hear so much about: Fear and greed vs. health and well-being.

FRED BERTRON, Miami
(from the Miami Herald)

Cowpernia
11-04-2004, 09:29 PM
does anyone here use a GPS? help me. Come on AIM and help me. NOW>

PainterWoman
11-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Wabbs... I think it isn't so much "the south" that was for Bush as for people who don't live in cities. I'm pretty proud that Dallas actually elected a lesbian Hispanic WOMAN for county sheriff! :cp: :bravo:

Kiwi said:
This is the essence of the ''two Americas'' that we hear so much about: Fear and greed vs. health and well-being.
I completely agree.... I may not be "religious" in the traditional sense, but I have enough new age hooey in my blood to believe that love is the opposite of fear, that we become anything we really HATE, and that if we want to make a change in the world, we have to become what we want.

Cowper: congratulations on the goat bells... please post a picture.... Do they come with goats?

I managed to stay on program today. It would have been a beautiful day to walk. but somehow, I didn't. I went to work, and then had a "perfect" dental checkup, x-rays included. Must google some of the cardiovascular lingo the heart doctor bandied about regarding hubby. :crossed:

Lohani
11-05-2004, 08:47 AM
If you think that the republicans vs democrats is fear and greed vs health and well-being you should come to NJ. Our democratic operators make Carl Rove look like Mr. Rogers.
I do not have GPS, but I think I'd like DD to have it in her car(or better yet, implanted under her skin). It is very worrisome to have kids leave without knowing where they REALLY are.
We are finished college visiting. Applicatons are complete. Now the wait.
Wabby, we just replaced our hard drive due to infections. It was cheap. I'm trying to be good about leaving Norton on all the time, but it makes the computer run so slowly.
I think I've bounced back. It's been hard, but I've scraped the bumper sticker off my car and I'm ready for '08. I just don't understand. How could so many people look at exactly what I'm looking at and come to such an opposite conclusion? Oh well.

Cowpernia
11-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Lohunny, in my neck of the woods, common vision sees that 1) Kerry kills babies while Bush does not; 2) Kerry does not support troops; 3) Muslims kill Christians and the right thing is fight back. I'm not kidding at all.

Lohani
11-05-2004, 02:01 PM
That isn't uncommon here, either. In my kids school, Bush won overwhelmingly because he is pro-life. No governor in history has signed more orders for the death penalty, but because he has taken a stand against unwed mothers and is firmly for "cute" life, he's our boy. It kills me.
However, I refuse to get worked up about this. Even though I am a person who was mildly inconvenienced by terrorism and feel my vote should have counted twice.

Cowpernia
11-05-2004, 03:15 PM
I have to say one more thing. I know of a big church that maintains several "ministries." One of these is a pregnancy center (anti-abortion). Another is day care centers. They have several day care centers. All the kids in these several centers are fully paid by their parents. See the irony? Babies who need government help to grow up will be be mixing with the children of these people. Maybe irony is not the word.

PainterWoman
11-06-2004, 12:49 AM
Lohoney said: Our democratic operators make Carl Rove look like Mr. Rogers.
My ex-laws were Eyetalians from New Jersey... maybe the mafia IS still alive and well. The only Fred that Rove reminds me of is Freddy Kreuger.

I'm moving on. May send in dues for the ACLU. Or something. Or go buy a gun. That'll be helpful, doncha think? I just want to smack something. Ahh.... I'll go knit.FAST and FURIOUSLY.

I like y'alls ticker scales!!

PainterWoman
11-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Look at this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805073396/ref=pd_gft_top_b_2/002-5688412-3312015?v=glance&s=books&n=1000 (If you wonder why people voted conservative.)

SugP
11-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Just being a copy cat and starting out with my own weight ticker to try to get motivated. I seem to have gained 5 lbs somewhere and they have GOT to go. Must exercise more and surf less. Feel like a giant blob.

Ahem, one of my divorced brother's long lost loves is back in town after her marriage broke up and Mummy thinks that something might be up. Watch this space for more news.

Inspired by Painty, I am now attempting to knit a scarf. It's just stockinette (is that how you spell that?) stitch and already I've messed up. Oh crafty me.

PainterWoman
11-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Sug Sug... welcome to the world of FROGGING.... (when you tear out your knitting you go rip it, rip it rip it..... AND stockinette isn't the best for scarves because it curls up on itself... just knit ALL the rows (you'll get garter stitch...) and it'll lay flat.....

Cowpernia
11-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Making it go to the next page.

Cowpernia
11-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Failed. Try again.

Kiwonk
11-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Here, I'll do it, Peachy

Kiwonk
11-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Or not.

I've been away on my "birthday present". I decided since I probably wouldn't get anything else anyway, I wanted to go to a play in Portland for my birthday. This play was written by the guy we went to see in Fiddler in NYC last spring. He is the bf of the brother of my friend who moved to Ore. Anyway, we saw the play yesterday afternoon and it was fantastic -- very funny and sweet and original and interesting.

We stayed in a nice Marriott the night before. Ate way too much all weekend, you know the drill. So, after a nice couple of days, what do we do on the way home? Get into a nasty sniping pointless argument about why shrub won the election. With DD driving and trying to inject moderation into the escalating "discussion". Sheesh. Basically, DH attacks my views and then gets all angry when I defend them. So, anyway that pretty much ruined my weekend and now I have a migraine and I'm refusing to help him with his boat tarp. Because I'm a mean vindictive old shrew.

So, how was your weekend?

Kiwi

Cowpernia
11-07-2004, 08:43 PM
I think you're sweet. His tarp doesn't need any help.

PainterWoman
11-08-2004, 03:02 AM
Peachy Cow-- will you still be my friend when you've lost the last 16##?

Kiwi... I hope your argument is not all resolved. I hate when a fun time is ruined (especially if retroactively) by something relatively minor. I'm glad you were born. Glad you had a celebration. And hope you and DH can figure out what pushed you over the edge. Sometimes I go into "debate" mode with my DH when he just wants to vent... then he feels "unsupported" and gets snappish. It works both ways at our house. We are learning (still) to say what we mean, instead of something quick and simple.

We got a cat. Name suggestions welcome. I hope I can love on her instead of eating....

Does it count as advertising if I tell you about my website?
I have one for my counseling practice and one for my daily journaling and knitting.
If you want the url email me at 4dana"at"airmail"dot"net

Cowpernia
11-08-2004, 12:43 PM
1. Whisper
2. Louise
3. Heebie-Jeebie

How come your ticker shows beginning and ending weights? I don't remember what I put down at the goal. I'll never know if I lost it or not.

Wabby
11-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Where do I go to get a ticker?

My puter is still screwy. I will be emailing w/ a new email address soon. Stand by for news.

Losing weight is excruciatingly slow. I'm at 152. Down from 158. This has taken almost a month. 3 weeks anyway. I did Leslie's 4 mile super duper fat burner (or something like that) on Sunday. I bought the dvd from Amazon, and wouldn't you know it, it's defective. It gets stuck at the beginning. If you can get it past the first 2 minutes it's fine. So I've sent it back. I'm back to the regular 2 mile walk tape until I get the replacement, then I'm gonna burn all that fat away.

Wooo-hoooo!!!! Happy birthday Kiwi!!!!!! :hat:

Painty, you should name your cat Peanut. That's the name I wanted DD to name her weinie dog, but she chose Katy. Katy is not housebroken. She visited this weekend and she left me a gift.

SugP
11-08-2004, 06:39 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KIWI!!! So sorry your day didn't turn out quite as pleasant as you'd hoped. Believe me, I KNOW about those stupid arguments in the car that come out of nowhere.

Wabby, if you click on tickertapedotcom on any of the tickers you can get your own. Man, I would LOVE to be 152 again. Or even 155. Peachy, I think I chose "weight change" or something. You can try out both choices and see which one works. How'd you find that thing anyway? I love it.

Cat names I like:
Whiskers
Tiger
Fluffy
Spot

Strange names of various childhood cats:
Tina Maria
Daisy May
Paddy
Lisa
Ambrose
Tai
Lea
Blakey (not Blacky)
Pete

Cowpernia
11-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Once, as a young adult woman, I visited someone and fell in love with their cat. They gave it to me and I kept the name he already had. Honestly, I'm so dumb that I thought nothing about it until I took him to the vet and the vet asked me his name but once he knew it, kept referring to the cat as "your kitty." Have I told you this before? I really really loved that cat. I'm not even sure why. His name was Hot Sh*t. That's a good name, isn't it?

Other cats: Dagmar, Sherlock, and Munchen.

Kiwonk
11-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Cowpeach, you're a hoot. My brother had a cat called Stupid one time. He found her under the hood of a car at the shop where he worked. The car owner came in complaining of a purring noise in her car :rolleyes: True. And he thought the cat was stupid. :lol:

Too bad that's a girl cat. Looks like a Biff to me.

Kiwi

Bagzz
11-09-2004, 03:54 PM
let us consult Shakespeare for the kitty---i say name kitty 'Thisbe'---or 'Ninny"-----i got an email from a spy who says there are other atlantic dwellers here---WHERE are we talking about???{i make no sense}-----here is something i did last week---went to a recording studio with a friend and recorded a country song for her----she is trying to sell music to nashville and i got to sing the song {that should ruin all her chances HA}---it was neat being in the studio but i think if i have to sing in public i will lip synch like Ashlee Simpson-------------HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIWONKERS!!!!---YOU CANNOT DEPEND ON A MAN FOR A GOOD BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION---WAIT TIL WE GET RID OF THE MEN AND WE ARE OLD AND "GAY"----THAT'S WHEN THE REAL PARTY WILL BEGIN!!!! :smug: :smug:

Bagzz
11-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Jon Stewart Of The Daily Show Said He Thought That "dudes Kissin" Trumped The Other Issues Of The Election Like The Slow Economy And The Iraq War----he Is Hi Larry ***.hhs Hhs Hhs .sock.

Kiwonk
11-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Love Jon Stewart.

Speaking of dudes kissing, I found this quote in a story about Arafat. "He is dead," one Palestinian source said. "He died after bleeding in the brain began last night. His bodyguards started hugging and kissing and telling each other to be strong." They better watch out for those bodyguards...

Cool about the singing, Bagz, you could be famous! Maybe you'll meet your teen idol...

DD says if she ever records a commercial cd, she's not going to let MalWart distribute it.

She's writing music on the computer with a software program that she downloaded. Tonight is her last (probably) dress rehearsal before opening night. Woohoo, I can't wait to see the play!

Okay, I'm doing this dopey ticker thing. Not that I've weighed myself, so I'll just stick the pointer at the beginning. SOMETHING'S GOT TO WORK!!!

Kiwi

Cowpernia
11-09-2004, 04:41 PM
I want to hear Bagzie's song!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PainterWoman
11-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Thanks for cat name suggestions!! DH recycled his initial preference... and I (being the darling wifey) will probably always call her pretty kitty... (noun, nom, adjective... etc.) but her offical name (at least today) is................drum roll...........................Puppy.
We're strange.Wait till the vet hears that!!l
Happy BD KiWI. Hope it's all better now.

SugP
11-10-2004, 04:42 AM
Puppy is a wonderful name. That's what I call ds8.

Yesterday I had 10 kids at the library. Lots of wild boys. It was altogether too noisy. Now that I'm at the library twice a week and have 5 tutoring students my house is a TOTAL tip and I can't seem to get on top of it. How do people who have real jobs do it? I'm so feeble.

Today or tomorrow or something is St. Martin's Day so we have to schlepp ourselves over to the in-laws for roast goose. Ho hum. Same old, same old.

Wabby
11-10-2004, 12:45 PM
I wish someone was cooking me a roast goose for dinner. I'd eat anything I don't have to cook or clean up after.

PainterWoman
11-10-2004, 02:57 PM
I'm with Wabby about eating anything that somebody else cooks... especially if I don't "even" have to pay for it... although being miserable with the out-laws can be too high a price.

Sug-- The people I know who work and whose houses look like Better Homes & Gardens have services... maid service, lawn service, etc. etc. DH and I just fired our cleaning "service" because we found scads of dust on top of the medicine cabinet, books, etc. Of course, now we'll do it ourselves. I talked DH into depositing what we would have spend into a "special" savings.. so I can watch the value of the f*ing domestic chore duty mount up. But since I'm only working about 25 hours a week, I guess I can run the sweeper and clean the bathrooms. I need to go to DIY.com to get dusting lessons though. (the advantage of having had a sloshed Mom is that the never noticed that things were dusty-- the disadvantage is that I didn't get dusting lessons. I'd hoped that having reached 50 something I would escape NEEDING dusting lessons. Not so. Karma! ) All's well.

Kiwonk
11-10-2004, 04:18 PM
Hey, I had dusting lessons when I was a kid, and that's why I never dust! It's too dang much trouble! Of course, the sensible way to dust is with a feather duster, but mine's so old that it started shedding feathers, so it's a little counter-productive. Hence, absolutely no dusting going on here, and it shows. My mother used to make me dust furniture with a cloth, every stupid little nook and cranny, slat, rung and crossbar. Or maybe she just handed me a dust-cloth and that's what I figured I had to do, because even then I was a little freaking perfectionist who couldn't do anything halfway even if it was the most hated thing on earth (which of course, it soon became). Hence my current aversion to housework.

I had a little talk with DH this morning and told him he had to stop "supervising" me and DD. DD was so mad at him she gave me an earful all the way to school -- apparently he kept asking her if I was supposed to be up at a particular time, whether she had started the car yet, what time she was going to school. It drives us both crazy, and he just doesn't understand why. I made him listen to me this time and he agreed to stop it, but I don't think he gets it. He claims he "can't say anything in his own house." Which of course is not it at all. We'd like to be given credit for being able to manage ourselves without his constant "help". It's funny, when he used to be totally overworked in the mill, it hardly ever occurred to him to want to know what we were doing, so I guess it's a sign that he's paying attention to what's going on a little more. But good grief, DD and I are climbing the walls!

Had a great morning -- I went in to the high school to film some clips of DD in the musical. They performed the first act for the entire elementary school. It was really fun to be a fly on the wall for this. The auditorium was nearly full of little kids, and they did really well at paying attention. It was very funny to see what made them laugh -- mostly pratfalls and slapstick. The jokes went right over their heads -- literally. There I was in the back row, chuckling at some of the jokes, and sometimes one of the kids in the row in front of me would turn around and look at me wonderingly. I had a great time.

Kiwi

Bagzz
11-10-2004, 04:26 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhh-----i am jealous kiwonkers!!!----i miss musicals-----what numbers is your baby doing???OH AND I AM INSULTED THAT NO ONE HAS JOINED MY UNDER MY NEW POSTING!!!