100 lb. Club - Weekly Exercise Thread Oct. 16 - 23

lessofsarahtolove
10-16-2004, 05:07 PM
Hello, sports fans! Well, I'm (with gratitude) robbing this wonderful thread idea from elsewhere on the site. It seemed to me that it would be a good idea to have a weekly thread here within our group devoted to exercise check-in; my thought is that it will help us to keep ourselves accountable for getting in some daily exercise, help us to motivate one another, and just plain be interesting since we like each other and are interested in how it's going for one another!

So, if you want to participate, just log in and give a quick post with an update on what you accomplished in the way of daily exercise! Doesn't have to be a big, long-winded explanation -- just the quick and the dirty, unless you have more to say!

lessofsarahtolove
10-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Hello -- quick one from me -- I'm enjoying a little holiday getaway w/Lorraine and Louie (arf!) at a lovely B & B in Delaware, so I'm going to make this quick: in short, not much to report in the way of concerted exercise, since I worked, then went on the doc's for some pulmonary testing, and then on the road we went to Delaware! I did Leslie this morning though -- 1 mile only.

nelie
10-16-2004, 07:58 PM
This morning I did 35 minutes of yoga, then I went to the gym and did 60 minutes of weights, 27 minutes of cardio and 10 minutes of stretching.

Something amazing during my stretching portion, while standing with my feet together, I was able to reach down and touch my toes. I then touched the ground and then went an inch or so further. A few more inches and I'll be able to put my palms flat on the ground. Yoga has really really helped me improve my flexibility.

Sheila53
10-17-2004, 12:04 AM
1 hr. water aerobics
20 min. stretching

SkinnyBoPeep
10-17-2004, 02:45 AM
3 mile walk. (And lost my 1st 20 pounds as of today! YIPPEE!)

heather_dw
10-17-2004, 03:26 AM
I did my mile of Leslie. My shoulder has been klling me all day (not sure what I did to it) Hopefully it will be better tommorow.

Nelie,

I have wanted to try yoga, but I always assumed I needed to be fairly skinny already to mess with it. Can anyone reccommend a good beginner yoga workout for me to try?

nelie
10-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Heather,

There are things that are hard to do because I am overweight, so I may not be able to hold a pose that long or I can't reach the full pose. When you are doing it, you just have to realize that your pose may not look exactly like the pose the instructors.

"Crunch Candlelight Yoga" is a very nice beginners yoga workout.
"Yoga Journal: Step by Step" has 3 sessions, 1, 2 and 3. I have to say this is my new favorite because there is a "instruction" section where they go through and tell you step by step how to do the different poses and what you can do wrong and how to fix it. They also tell you how to use blocks, straps and blankets to modify your workout. The only problem is the "practice" section is fairly fast so it may be harder for some people. I prefer a pace more like that in "Candlelight Yoga".

Anyway, there are tons of beginners yoga videos out there but those are the ones I have to tell about right now.

teapotdynamo
10-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Didn't make it to the gym today; had to go shopping for a work suit. However, I walked around the city for hours and hours (lots of stairs, too), and my calves and quads are killing me, so I think that definitely counts as exercise. Back to the gym in the morning (or evening, depending on how much energy I have in the morning!).

And here's the bonus part -- I got a size 18 jacket and size 20 skirt. Size inflation or no, that's definitely a first in many, many years.

lessofsarahtolove
10-17-2004, 08:25 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, JENNIFER!! That is just the best feeling in the world, isn't it?? Go, you! Bigtime kudos -- you earned this. :bravo:

Sheila53
10-17-2004, 10:55 PM
Congratulations! WTG!

20 min. stretching
lifted some weights

nelie
10-18-2004, 12:35 AM
I was tired yesterday at the gym, but I didn't think anything of it, but this morning I woke up with a sore throat and it hurt to swallow. I also have a fever and some major congestion going on. Today, I didn't go to the gym. I'm thinking I may do some yoga before bed but I am exhausted and all I want to do is sleep.

SkinnyBoPeep
10-18-2004, 01:33 AM
2 mile walk

Nelie, hope you feel better very soon!

teapotdynamo
10-18-2004, 09:41 AM
45 minutes HIIT on the cross-trainer.

Yuck, Nelie. Sounds like you got that fall bug that's going around. Hope you feel better very soon!

heather_dw
10-18-2004, 03:04 PM
I did my mile of Leslie. I usually quit between 15-16 mins but today I got to 18. I am progressing slow, but I am getting there,.. :lol:

Sheila53
10-18-2004, 03:16 PM
What great progress, Heather!

1 hr. water aerobics (she uses HIIT--I'm exhausted!)
20 min. stretching

Annie-Rose
10-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Did a mile with Leslie and I'm off to my Jazz dance class - I'm the worst dancer in the world but I go with some friends and we have the best laugh ever!
Nelie - hope you feel better soon. Drink loads, keep warm etc etc!!!
Heather I'm really proud of you 18 minutes is excellent.

Ivanna B. Skinny
10-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Well its Monday, and I've officially started my week off right!! I didnt feel up to it, but I drug my sorry butt to the gym. I did 30 mins on the elliptical, a circut of the machines, and even tried out the free weights. I came home and did abwork. I feel 100% better! I stayed on-plan food and water wise as well today! YAY!

lessofsarahtolove
10-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Great job, everybody! (Sheila, I'm so happy you're sticking with the stretching! :) )

I biked HIIT for 40 minutes, power walked for 1 mile, and did a brisk mile outside.

nelie
10-18-2004, 10:42 PM
I suppose I shouldn't post in an exercise thread that I didn't exercise....

I went to the doctors today and she suspects that I have a viral infection but I won't know until tomorrow when the test results come back. Yesterday, I didn't even do yoga and today I didn't go to the gym and maybe I'll do yoga tonight. My body feels weak so I'm not sure If I can do it. Oh well, I suppose my lessened eating from my sore throat may make up for my lack of exercise ;)

Sheila53
10-18-2004, 11:55 PM
When you're sick, the best exercise is to bring a glass of liquid to your mouth and drink! :) That and finger exercises with the remote.

Hope you feel better soon. Those viruses can get your down so get plenty of rest.

Thanks, Sarah. I've got a "bad brain" that causes the muscles in my neck and upper back to contract abnormally (and painfully) and it really helps to stretch. I get lazy sometimes, but I'm making a conscious effort to do it every day no matter what.

Annie-Rose
10-19-2004, 02:45 AM
Good morning everyone! (It's 6.40 am here)
I've just done a mile and a half weight loss walk.
Look after yourself Nelie!!!!
AmyJo you'll be there next week I just know it. I'm right behind you and may be there next week but if not the week after!!!
Woah Sheilah I've just realised how much weight you've lost. That's great. You are my new hero!!!
Lots of love to you Sarah and keep doing what you do!!
Lst night my dance teacher said i was her star pupil.... but she was being sarcastic! I think she's jealous because she hasn't got my 'originality' and er....enthusiasm????? Well yes I am rubbish at it but I'm having such a laugh - we're dancing to Robbie William's 'Rock DJ' and the Pointer Sister's 'Jump.' Very EXCELLENT! I'll let you all know when I'm on at Broadway and you can all have front row seats!!!!! Back to reality and off to work I go.

JennasMom
10-19-2004, 10:27 AM
I walked 2 miles yesterday and just got back from 2 miles today.

teapotdynamo
10-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Did a pretty aggressive 30 minute (for me) leg workout this morning and could only manage 20 minutes of cardio after, because my legs were killing me. I was a little discouraged after. I've still got to find a way to do both. I may end up being one of those weirdos who goes to the gym twice a day!

I'm thinking of taking a Spinning class. Has anybody here ever tried it?

nelie
10-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Jennifer,

I've thought about and almost have gone to the gym twice a day, but I haven't crossed over to that point as of yet. I figure I have a lot of weight to lose and if I want, I can go to that when I am closer to my goal to kick myself in gear.

As for spinning, I haven't tried it but I have been staring down the spinning machines once in a while. Try it and let us know how it is. I was always worried about my ample booty and those tiny seats.

lessofsarahtolove
10-19-2004, 01:33 PM
I'm thinking of taking a Spinning class. Has anybody here ever tried it?
I've never taken a class or ridden a spinning bike, but I do regularly go at spinning-level speeds during my intervals on my exercise bike. I understand that the classes can be excellent, and when you're on those bikes your body is in a very different position than when cycling on the traditional exercise bike. I know that when I'm biking at 26 mph, I have to straighten my back and sit up and forward in order to do it. And I LOVE how it makes me feel. (Assuming I can breathe!) Before my asthma got bad I was doing several minutes at a time, several sessions during a workout. Now I'm down to a single minute, and then I have to go down to 18-19 mph for air. So I'm doing more intervals to try to make up for it. But that wasn't really your question, was it? :lol: I would DEFINITELY try it -- it's awesome cardio. If it were I, I would mix it up though, alternating with the cross-trainer and elliptical, and some more steady rate biking (like 16-18 mph) with intensity intervals, as they're proven to have a more positive impact on increased metabolism than just steady rate alone -- no matter how intense the speed.

Go for it, and let us know afterwards how it went!

teapotdynamo
10-19-2004, 01:48 PM
This may be a silly question, but what do you wear for biking? I don't want to wear anything that will get caught in the bike, but I don't really have any exercise shorts... hm. I may have to buy something for the occasion.

lessofsarahtolove
10-19-2004, 01:52 PM
I think if it were I, I'd pick up a cheap pair of biking shorts (I'm thinking pass on the padded behind ;) ) that don't roll up when you sit (and move while sitting) and wear them with a loose T. You're going to work up a real sweat, and you're going to be bent over while you're peddling just as fast as your little legs will go, so the last thing you want to worry about at that time is your clothing or any discomfort (psychological or otherwise.)

I'm excited for you! :hyper:

Sheila53
10-19-2004, 02:26 PM
45 min. weight lifting
20 min. stretching
2 mile WATP (it's raining)

SkinnyBoPeep
10-19-2004, 10:51 PM
I walked up and down 4 flights of stairs at work...TWICE...ON PURPOSE! Who is this girl?! Certainly not the one who had 1,001 excuses to avoid taking the stairs! :yes:

Ivanna B. Skinny
10-19-2004, 10:52 PM
:cheer: WAY TO GO US!!! WE"RE ON OUR WAY!! :cheer:

Tuesday...Check!!

35 mins elliptical, arms, and abs! YAY!!

lessofsarahtolove
10-19-2004, 11:57 PM
I did 3 miles power walking with weights, plus lunges and squats. (For those of you who know Leslie's workouts, I did the 2-mile Shape and Firm workout with the ramp, followed by the 1-mile WATP with weights.) The Shape and Firm workout includes lunges and squats, but I did 3 sets each with dumbbells, as well as walking lunges. Yay!

Sheila53
10-20-2004, 02:45 PM
1 hour water aerobics
20 min. stretching
1/2 hour walk (outside--it's sunny!)

nelie
10-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Although I don't feel 100%, I just did finish playing a basketball game at work. Also did some practice before the game so I have a total of about 90 minutes of playing basketball. Woo! I'm also going to try to go to the gym tonight.

lessofsarahtolove
10-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Tonight I walked a mile and then did weights - arms: bi's and tri's, followed by 20 minutes biking (5.75 miles.)

heather_dw
10-21-2004, 04:39 PM
wow,. you all are doing so good. I have been bad bad bad. Last week I only got in 4 one mile leslie sessions, and I just finished my second session of the week a few minutes ago. I was telling hubby last night that I feel like I have quit, even though I really havent... Im slacking,.. I need a re-motivation,..blah...lol

In the meantime, i feel like I am just going on autopilot? Anyone relate?

Sheila53
10-21-2004, 04:59 PM
So far today I've done:

45 min. weight lifting
20 min. stretching
3 mi. WATP

teapotdynamo
10-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Holy crap, Nelie -- your new avatar is HOTTTTT!!!!!! :) :) :) You're looking great!!!!

nelie
10-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks Jennifer!! I actually feel hot ;) That picture was taken last night about 1am after I got home from a club and I thought I looked damn good so I took a picture.

lessofsarahtolove
10-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Ok, Nelie -- first of all: YOWZA!! Second, what were you doing out at a club so late when you should be recuperating?? You go to bed right this very minute, young lady! :nono:

Seriously, fabulous pic, girlfriend... :yes:

lessofsarahtolove
10-21-2004, 08:51 PM
After work I did 3 1/2 miles WATP with weights, followed by weights (lifting to failure) - shoulders. How did she do 3 1/2 with her WATP format, you may ask? Nope, didn't bail before finishing the 4 mile walk (I love that one!) -- My DVD starting skipping 1 1/2 miles into the 3 mile walk, so I did the 2 mile one and just did double time (with arms and weights and extra everything) through the warm up period of that one.

:rolleyes: I'm sure you were just crying out for that level of detail! :lol:

teapotdynamo
10-21-2004, 09:28 PM
So, so tired today after business trip and much late-night baseball watching. Did bis and tris for 25 minutes (up another notch on the assisted pullups, so that's something!) then could muster only 25 mins of cardio. Oh, and abs last night in the hotel room. I'll do better tomorrow. Phew.

lessofsarahtolove
10-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Jennifer, I watched the games too.......my heart is BREAKING. :cry: Oh well, after 86 freaking years, they deserve this joy, right? It's a damned shame, though. :(

teapotdynamo
10-21-2004, 10:17 PM
Ah, my dear... I regret to inform you that I am a dreaded RED SOX fan!!!! :devil: I lived in Boston right after I graduated from college, and that's where I formed my unholy (at least in this city) allegiance. I will not rub it in, because you always have the ultimate Yankee comeback, but I must say I was beaming today, despite the lack of sleep.

Hope you can still be my 3FC buddy.

lessofsarahtolove
10-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Well, I said it last night; if the Yankees had to lose, I would pick the Socks to lose to -- not because I think the majority of the Sox fans are gracious in either winning or losing -- but because after so much passion and loyalty, over so many years of fighting the good fight, you guys deserve it. :)

I'm sorry as **** that we lost, but the Sox earned the win. Congratulations. (She said seriously, with sad eyes.)

nelie
10-22-2004, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the compliment Sarah :)

My class let out early so I was able to get to the gym by 9pm so I did some weights (chest and triceps). I also played basketball earlier today.

teapotdynamo
10-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Just did 30 minutes on the stairmaster today. I was going to do the elliptical, too, but I was accosted by this very nice trainer who has been talking to me a bit. He was asking me about my progress and ended up showing me this bar where I can do assisted pushups (like wall pushups but using a barbell). It was embarrassing but kinda fun. Wish I had the money to buy some sessions, but they're soooo expensive.

Side note: Said trainer is a total cutie. Don't tell hubby I said that, though. :devil:

lessofsarahtolove
10-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Walked 3-mile WATP after work.

heather_dw
10-23-2004, 01:22 AM
Did another mile of the 2 mile Leslie Dvd. I really need to try to get 2 sessions in tommorow, but we will see how that goes,..

nelie
10-23-2004, 01:37 AM
I know it is kind of bad but... I am not sure what is going on with me, the doctor called me today and said I tested negative for "bad things" so I either have a cold or a flu but it is very light. My head hurts a little, I feel a bit tired, my nose keeps running and my throat bothers me. So today, I took a nap for a couple hours, then got up, got dressed and went to the gym. I didn't do an extremely hard workout, I did weights for my shoulders but no cardio.

I then went to the grocery store and bought some echinecea (sp?) throat lozenges. Hopefully I'll feel 100% better soon.

SkinnyBoPeep
10-23-2004, 02:18 AM
Ellipse yesterday, 2.5 mile walk today.

teapotdynamo
10-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Did shoulder/chest strength training and 45 minutes HIIT on the elliptical.

Sheila53
10-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Nelie, hope you feel better soon.

Yesterday was a light day with just stretching and a bit of walking.

Today it's one hour water aerobics and 20 min. stretching

heather_dw
10-24-2004, 02:15 AM
Whew,.. I was dreading exercising but I made myself do my mile of the 2 mile Leslie Dvd:-)

SkinnyBoPeep
10-24-2004, 02:18 AM
2.5 mile walk!

nelie
10-24-2004, 02:54 AM
Thanks Sheila :)

I did 75 minutes of weights (legs) and then 50 minutes of yoga today.