General Diet Plans and Questions - The Plan/A Plan/What Plan...Fall Edition

ledom
10-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Whatever your plan - you are welcome to post w/ Alice, Judi, LaDean, Ledom who are the regular posters here. We are interested in maintaining our health, losing a few lbs., but most of all living a good life. We visit as much about pets, gardens, weather, family and household concerns as we do diets. But diet is the underlying element that unites us. LaDean is having great success w/ Atkins, I am a BFL diehard that is trying a few weeks of South Beach to shake things up, Judi and Alice are loyal to Weight Watchers but veer into new territory from time to time. Here is to a fabulous fall and maintaining, or better yet losing, through the upcoming holidays. I love fall!! It's my favorite season.

ledom
10-14-2004, 11:38 AM
LaDean, I am so happy you have a vacation coming up. It's great to get away, it makes home better I think.

All is well here. I don't like not eating carbs, I miss them. I want an apple, I want some oatmeal, I want a baked sweet potato. It isn't natural not to eat carbs! I plan to stay the course for the initial 2 week period however. I hope as a result of eliminating them for a while that when I reintroduce them I'll appreciate 2 or 3 servings a day and won't go back to 6. We'll see.

Getting a haircut a little later today and I plan to check up on a new gym that just opened in the neighborhood. I doubt I'll join unless the terms are very good because I have a perfectly good gym in my basement. On the other hand if I feel I can afford it for a short while and the hours are to my liking I will consider it for the benefit of doing something new that might shake me out of my exercise lethargy of the moment.

aleka
10-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi,

ledom, thank you for starting another thread. By the way, I absolutely love the title of the thread. You will get through these 2 weeks. When you get weighed at the end of the 2 weeks it will all be worth it. Did you decide to join the gym? I can't recall if I mentioned that I was going to try the new WW Core program. It looks like it would be something up my alley, no counting or anything. Just eat from an extensive list of foods, eat when you're hungry and stop when you're satisfied. I am now finally getting back into the swing of things with getting meals. We are relying less and less on frozen meals and take out.

LaDean, hope you have a wonderful time on your trip. Tell us all about it when you get back.

Have a great day ladies.

LaDean
10-14-2004, 01:59 PM
Hi gals, love the title of our board is cute... i do not think i will reach goal in morning. as up 1.50 now. so will be good today. what is meant to be is.. thanks all i will let you know for sure how my trip goes. anixious and excited. i am ready for a vacation. ha tuffy seems to be doing ok. he will be in good care. I am glad your plans are working. its such a great feeling to have our plans all in hand i think. have a good day. LaDean

ledom
10-15-2004, 06:33 AM
Good morning, I woke up at 4 this morning and knew it was no use to try to get back to sleep. I hate when that happens.

I checked out the new gym yesterday and it is really nice. I am going to sleep on the decision to join though. If I do it will be short term until if I decide it is right for me. It is 1/2 mile from my house, it is brand new and packed w/ beautiful new equipment. I don't think it would turn out to be a social gym, more down to business. It is a fitness and rehab gym, owned by a physical therapist. It has 24 hr. access, one uses a card to enter at any time. It is $35 a month w/ an initial $20 fee for the card key. All are good reasons to join. I am just not sure if I am ready to commit - I do have equipment in my basement and I have been trying to cut back on my expenses. Like I said, I want to think about it a little first.

The act of going to visit and think about the gym has had the good effect of making me decide to get busy w/ exercise again. I went to a yoga class last night, missed the last 2 weeks due to being out of town, and am going to do weights and cardio in my home gym this a.m.

So far so good with south beach. It has been easier to stick with it because it is a change. I am eating some different foods (lowfat cheese) and also eating less. I think mostly because it is something new, a new project so to speak. I guess boredom really is a factor in weight loss sometimes.

Hope everyone has a great day. I hope I don't crash mid-day due to lack of sleep!

aleka
10-15-2004, 06:49 AM
Good morning,

ledom, just before we moved I was waking up in the wee hrs. of the morning and not being able to go back to sleep and also when we first moved into the house. Hopefully my sleep pattern is straightening out. Hope that you won't need a nap this afternoon. You'll probably go to bed early tonight. Whether or not joining a gym is quite a decision to make. Joining the gym would be good if you would like a change in atmosphere for your exercising. You haven't mentioned kayaking in a while. Do you still do that? Glad that SBD is going well for you.

LaDean, have a wonderful time on your trip. Hope you win a bundle. Did you make goal today?

ledom
10-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Hey Alice,

Just wanted to say I did get my workout it. Also, I thought I'd just drive by the gym this a.m. as a practice run, bout the same time I would go if i joined. There were 2 30 something men in there working out. I think that might intimidate me, at least the first time I walked in. Also, as I heat up in my basement I like to shed clothes and usually end up working out in my sports bra, that sure wouldn't happen in a public place. I think I am going to stick w/ what I got. I enjoyed my workout this a.m., I felt rested and strong and I had everything I needed to work out with. I believe I'll save the gym for this summer when I have more time and can be more flexible in the times I go. I am sure I will be revisiting this but for the time being I think I'll stick with what I got.

Have a blast on your trip LaDean.

aleka
10-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Hey ledom,

That miight intimidate me too. I would prefer the privacy of my own home, or with a group that looked like me, overweight and middleaged. ;) Glad that your workout went well for you.

A cool front came through yesterday afternoon and knocked the humidity out of the air. It's rather cool this morning. I'm sure it will warm up so that we can open the house up and get some fresh air circulating.

Have a good weekend.

LaDean
10-21-2004, 07:31 PM
oh, i would not want that either.. i would do it at home to. I know our Elks has a gym and its free. well i went awhile. then guys started coming in and all. it just was not the same. so i got a ex bike, cardio glider and all and just do it at home...

I had a fun trip to reno. watched my eating and all. gained only one lb. so i was happy about that. what carbs i added was not bad. so now know i can have them but sensibly and not many.. so it helped. tops in the am hope to be down or the same. then last week of month hope to reach goal. good luck to all of you. LaDean

ledom
10-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Good to have you back LaDean! I am glad you had fun!

Guys, I have another tragic cat story. I had to have my Brody put to sleep this week. He had cancer of all things and only 1 1/2 years old. You can imagine, it was not a good week. It seems to me that it came on very fast. I only noticed him not being himself the last 2 weeks. He was losing weight and at then end just not looking or feeling well. May he rest in peace, he was the prettiest and sweetest cat I have ever had, just really special.

Sigh, so you that have followed my story know I have lost 3 cats in the last 2 years and 2 in the last few months. A record for sure. I still have Tweeg the blessed long lived cat, she is 15. And Rosie who is 7 mo. and will be going for her girl surgery here in a few days. And, the new kitten I brought home yesterday, he is 3 months. No name yet.

aleka
10-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Oh ledom, I am so sorry about Brody. I could tell from how you talked about him that you loved him very much and that he was a very sweet cat. I'm sure he will be missed very much. On a happier note, you have a brand new kitty to raise. Have you any idea what you want to name him?

LaDean, glad that you're back and had a good time on your vacation. You did very well sticking with Atkins while you were away.

LaDean
10-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Ledom. so very sorry i know how your feeling. prayers with you. I have an idea my little dog has it. have had him for 12 years. they say boston bull terriers have cancer alot.. so i pray daily and so thankful to have him each day.. has been scary at times. these animals are our babies and family... so sorry.... you take care.

aleka, i had a ball yes. and was so proud to stick to my plan. i knew if i ate at the buffets i could do it and i did.. i alreay got the gain off this morning. Oh pray that i will reach goal this week. but i will wait. as waiting we are taught and to have patience in the end there is rewards...

thanks to both of you,. you both are doing so well to. i am proud of you also. Have a great weekend to all. LaDean

ledom
10-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Morning Alice and LaDean, I am feeling better now. Last week was tough. The new kitty is assimilating to his new home. He is a shy one, but has joined in the kitty fun w/ Rosie, he runs when he thinks I am going to pick him up. When I do pick him up though he doesn't seem to mind, he has a great purr reflex and starts purring almost immediately when he gets his head scratched. I think his name is Buster. For some reason it has been hard to come up w/ a name. Buster seems to fit though. DD came home to meet him last night and she thinks he is a good cat.

I hosted a dinner party on Sat. night to introduce one of our new faculty members to some people. It was a younger crowd, late 20's/early 30s and there were 2 babies under 1 year. This was new territory for me but it turned out wonderfully. Was a bit stressful getting the house cleaned, the menu executed, etc. but in the end all worth it.

I managed to give SB phase I 8 days before I broke the diet. Once the stress over Brody kicked in and the dinner party too, it was over for me. I fell off pretty hard. I don't like not having carbs, I craved them all the time. Yesterday I worked out and this morning too. Food wasn't so great yesterday but I plan to do good on that today as well. I am back to something that looks more like BFL but I did learn some stuff from SB, I can enjoy an occasional meal w/out a carb and I picked up a couple of new recipes I like. It was also good to shift out of the strict BFL mindset, I feel like everything has given me new tools and I am feeling freer to accomodate my tastes, likes and dislikes in a way that will work for me. Exercise is key though, I have had a good little break from it and now I want to be the centerpiece of my efforts again.

Take care and judi, hope you'll be back soon.

aleka
10-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Good morning,

We voted earlier this morning to avoid the crowd next week. DH & I are used to small town voting with paper ballots. We had new touch machines and I was a little apprehensive, but everything went smoothly.

ledom, glad that Buster is making himself at home. How did Rosie greet him? When we brought a new kitty into the house our other cat mothered her. Your dinner party sounds like it was fun. What was on the menu? DH & I have been walking just about every morning. It's been fun exploring the neighborhood. We have a set route now, but as we get more in shape we've got another route all mapped out that will take us a little longer. What I love about walking here is it's all flat...no hills. I've been doing well on the WW Core program. I had a bad weekend eating-wise, but I'm back on track now.

LaDean, did you make goal last week? Hope Tuffy is ok and doesn't have cancer.

Have a great day.

LaDean
10-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Aleka, tuffy is ok but we think he might have it. has some growths. but not having a thing done as long as hes like he is.. so thankful. we have never been told he does. No never made goal. just gained 1/2 lb and reno and all for 3 days. but i was good and ate on my plan. i hope to reach it this week. but if its meant to be i will. so close and so thankful for that. i am trying. have cut down carbs this week.. I am glad all is going good with you..

Ledom, so glad the new little kitty is working out and all. and also that its getting better for you. i have also been not exercising. got to get with it to. and i will. glad your getting your old plan to going. yes i like to try new ones as get new ideas and all. have a good day all of you

Judi hope all is good your way and just busy.... miss you

to all a good day. LaDean

judi
10-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi! We are still on our "driving from the west coast to the east coast of Canada in our motorhome" trip. We have been in Montreal for 4 days now and are heading toward the east coast- NFLD- being the end destination before we turn around.

We haven't had email a lot of places. We had it in Ottawa and now Montreal.
It is taking us longer to drive across mainly because we see things we want to spend time at and Canada is BIGGER than I imagined. In Ont. & Que. we had autumn leaves and more autumn leaves...it was so beautiful.

I am not dieting or even watching right now, I have to sample the regional specialities so I will repent at home. You gals sound like you are all doing great though.

The cat and the dog have been great travelling companions. DH takes them both out on a leashes for walks. The cat saw a beaver in Ont. and had a huge freak out, he was leaping and jumping on the end of his leash, spitting and hissing, snarling etc. The beaver was doing sort of a slow waddling charge toward DH and the cat but had to stop mid charge to watch the display the cat was putting on.

When I get back my D is going to live at my place during the week so I can look after my grandson while she is at university and go to her own home on the weekend. That will be fun for me. He is 9 months already.

Mr. Marley the dog was 11 years old last week. He celebrated by being allowed to stuff himself on pasta (he is really a carbo loader that one!)

You are doing the core WW program Alice? How do you like it? I am still signed up online on the old one...maybe I should switch when I get back. Are you enjoying your new place?

You have a new kitty Ledon!! That is so neat! I was so sorry to hear about Brody, what an awful shock that must have been for you. Who would ever expect something like that in such a young cat. The new cat won't replace Brody but will find his own new place in your heart and I hope he will help you not grieve so much over Brody.

Hats off to you Ledom for the big dinner party!

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Reno LaDean and only gained one pound, good for you.

I will check in down the road again. We will probably be gone another month or so from home. We are really feelin' like travelling.

LaDean
10-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi Judi, so good to hear from you. have missed you. glad your trip is going so well and you all are taking your time and seeing it all. this is a favorite time of year for me. our leaves are so pretty in color to. we always go up in hills and so pretty. got me a new diginal camera so want to go and get some pictures now. is fun and i love it.. oh your grandson will be so much fun. there so precious. mine are 7 and 5 years old now. love them dearly... there growing up so fast. i am scrapbooking this week and come upon ones of them smaller and hard to believe. love doing it. want to get it done so fresh pictures holiday and keep caught up with it.. you will get back to your plan and all when you are home. just enjoy now its a part of your life for now. Yes i had a ball in reno and really ate but at buffets where i could stay on plan.. so that was good. i want to reach goal so bad this week. is looking good. so keeping fingers crossed. cut down some on carbs for the week.

aleka and Ledom... your both doing good. we can do this together. its so fun to have so many friends on here and all. makes me feel so close to all of you. I owe you all a big THANK YOU for being here for me and sharing daily. its the greatest. woooffffff lacee from tuffy... hes had breakfast and outside and snuggled all down. ha

aleka
10-27-2004, 12:17 PM
judi, it was great seeing your post. Glad that you're having a wonderful adventure. I just love the old part of Quebec City, all the old buildings and the narrow cobblestone streets. I could sit there and look at it all day. It must have been breathtaking with all the autumn leaves. A very happy belated birthday to Mr. Marley :bubbles: I really do like the new WW Core program. You don't have to count anything, you eat from the Core list of foods when you're hungry then stop when satisfied. You can just sort of forget about food. Previously when I've counted points I would be obsessing about food, how many points I had left, or how many points a certain food had. I probably would do great if I followed it 100% :o It is amazing how much extra food is left on your plate when you pay attention to your eating.

LaDean, glad that Tuffy ate his breakfast. Lacee does have a growth on her neck but, it isn't attatched to anything. If you pinch her skin you can feel the whole lump. The vet has looked at it and it's nothing. Shamrock, our other Boston had the same thing. Hope you have a good weigh in this week.

ledom, how was the exercising for you today? DH & I went out for our regular walk. I find that I am really enjoying them.

LaDean
10-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Aleka, thanks, i bet that is what tuffys is also.. glad to hear that. he is ok just that he has to tilt his head as he can see out of the one little eye. then when he tilts it to look up he gets off balance. then in his back end he cannot stand up long times. but we still got him and that is what counts.. glad lacee is ok.. glad you like the core plan and its working for you. i never heard of it , course i got on the atkins when it started i think. that makes it nice not to have to count and all now to.. good luck with it. glad its working

Ledom, glad your plan is working to. have a good day to all. Judi have fun traveling. LaDean

ledom
10-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Morning ladies, Alice things are going great w/ exercising and it makes me feel so much more in control. Your walks sound great and a wonderful way to explore your new neighborhood. Are you still enjoying your relocation?

judi-excellent to hear from you. I know you are so excited that you'll get to hang out DD and DGS more in the coming months. A fun thing to look forward to. I am SO happy for you that you are getting such a nice trip. Wonderful that you have a traveling companion that enjoys it so much as well. Very glad you got to check in.

ladean, I am happy that things are going well for you. Keep up the good work.

Some friends came over to watch the lunar eclipse with me last night. Was a lot of fun.

LaDean
10-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Hi everyone, loss another lb. i decided today i want to go down another 10 lbs. so will be 12.50 to goal. i just want to get my middle down more. its where my wt is and my neck area. so i figured go for it. in no hurry.. i am doing good so figured better go for it now. I am so glad all of you have your plan and exercise and are doing so good. it sure helps me to come on board and share and do it together. i did ride exercise bike 3 miles today.. have a good weekend to all. A NICE HALLOWEEN ALSO... LaDean.... my grandbabies will be over sunday i can hardly wait.... will be fun to see what costumes they have and all. glad its on a sunday. before was so dark that they could not come over as got off work and then time to treat the kids at door and son takes theres out in neighborhood. so will be a fun day for us.. LaDean

LaDean
10-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Good morning to all of you. hope your day is a good one. raining here steady. so i will get on exercise bike. sticking to my introduction again now. want to lose 10 more. LaDean

aleka
11-01-2004, 06:11 AM
A good Monday morning to you all,

I can't believe it's Nov. already. My IL's were here for a couple of days and my diet flew out the window. They left on Sat. for the condo they rent. We had a nice visit. They really liked our new house. Then we had to drive down there Sun. so DH could help his Dad with a couple of things he was having trouble with.

ledom, glad that things are going well with you in the exercise dept. Are you back eating the way you did on BFL or a little of both BFL & SB? I've decided to do mix SB Phase II in with the WW Core.

judi, hope you check in again to let us know how the trip is going and how you're doing. Glad the pets are enjoying themselves.

LaDean, glad that you're doing well. Hope you had fun seeing your grandkids in their Halloween costumes.

Have a good day everyone.
Aleka

ledom
11-01-2004, 08:06 AM
Mornin' - yep Monday morning and it's November. Fall never came here, it has been so warm. Finally this week we are supposed to get more fall like weather.

Honestly, I have been struggling w/ diet too. I am not sure venturing into SB was so wise for me because now I seem to crave carbs more. I am trying to get more BFL oriented again as that has been easiest for me to stick with. Whatever I do I need to get serious about it. Exercise is going good though, it didn't take much to start feeling the benefits.

Anyway I hate that I'll start Monday mentality but I am filled w/ fresh resolve this morning and I have been giving myself a serious talking to. I am going to have to tough my way through some clean eating days because I don't think it is going to be easy.

LaDean, how were your trick or treaters'?

LaDean
11-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Ledom., i had 65 kids at house trick or treating. fun and so cute some of them. i had a fun afternoon with the grandbabies. they looked so cute and we had a ball. there costumes were so cute. we had pizza. they love it and so does grandma. i allowed for the day. so this am scales were still same as friday. so i felt good. i am going to get with it lowering carbs so i can go down 10 more lbs. i just feel like that is where i want to be instead of rushing it.. I hope you get your plan going that you want. i have not been exercising as mucha s i did. got to get with that to..

i hope everyone had a great day. i have. LaDean

LaDean
11-05-2004, 09:30 PM
HEY WHERE IS EVERY ONE.. I AM MISSING YOU......COME BACK SOON......

Today i was up 1/2 lb so 3 away from goal. i keep changing mind. but believe me by time i get this 3 off its taking so long i will be ready to reach goal. so that is it for me. got to really thinking about it. what are #'s on scales really. not much. so i feel good about me. i like the way i look. and so i am going for it.. i want it so bad.. i did blow it thought. i had pizza with grandbabies halloween. i got into the candy even though they got me sugar free and i had gobs of it. oh well that is life.. had to much bread to. so back to my plan. i got my richard simons move it card thing down and figured i would watch portions better that way. when the card is covered then that is it. done for that group. ha so thanks to you gals. just get back on here miss you... course i am bad to just got on today been reading and just never got on. ha ha so i will be back in regular to... Hey aleka, glad you had a fun time with company and that they liked your place and all. to all have a great weekend.

aleka
11-07-2004, 07:14 AM
Good morning,

It has gotten cooler here. The humidity has gone and the temps have been in the 70's/80's. I wore jeans Fri. & Sat. It felt weird because I've been wearing shorts since we moved down here.

Yesterday DH & I went to an art show looking for something "Floridian" to put on the wall above our sliding glass doors. We did see a couple of things we liked, one was over $600.00 :faint: and the other one was a little over $200.00. The only thing we bought was a ceramic wall hanging of a Boston Terrier, which DH has already hung over the sliding glass doors. It looks rather lost up there, but it will do until we find something else.

ledom, how are the carb cravings now, have they lessened any? I know what you mean about craving something when you deny yourself. When I was Somersizing, I had to give up anything with added sugar. Every once in a while DH & I would get a craving for cookies and we'd sit and eat the whole bag, where normally we'd only eat 3 or 4. I haven't done very well on the diet front myself. We went out to eat a few times this past week. When we lived in NH, restaurants were few and far between, especially in the off season. Here there are restaurants everywhere and DH & I are like kids in a candy store. We have kept up our walking in the mornings.

LaDean, what a great attitude. As long as you're happy with yourself, that's all that counts. You do have to treat yourself. Did you eat a lot of the Halloween candy? If you ate a lot at one time were you ok? I did that once with sugar-free jelly beans, as I was starving and that's what was handy. Afterwards I kept running to the bathroom. I learned my lesson.

judi, hope you're having a wonderful trip. Miss you!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, ladies

LaDean
11-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Aleka, yes i ate the candy several days.ha ha i got it out of system. so back to my sugar free now. so that i am glad of.. i just gained a hafe have lb so that was ok with me. i hope to have it off this week. got 3 to go now. i am cutting down on my carbs. got to. been adding to many. and doing so good its adding up. now. so i want to get where i can get an amt for me.. so hoping it will begin. ha glad you found a thing of boston bull. at the coast here they have a store selling things. so my daughter got me a rug throw one of 2 boston bulls on it. well its on the wall. i could never use it to walk on. ha ha i have calendars each year she gets me. also figurines of them. tuffy is not getting around the greatest. but i can carry him and all. so i do alot. just so thankful to have him. he sure stays at my side. well you know how that goes. well my day is going good. i am going to get out and walk today. been not doing it and i am so glad you and you hubby are walking.. i may get on bike and take a ride outdoors today. its nippy but nice out.. cold mornings.. well judi. Ledom and all have a great day. LaDean

judi
11-09-2004, 08:18 AM
It's nice to read all your posts!

We are in Washington DC. We went to Prince Edward Island for about 6 days and then decided to come here. It is still warm enough for us hearty Canadians...we even ate outdoors the other day. The east coast was so beautiful with all its leaves. We will be here for a week or so then turn around and trek home.

I saw a lot of Bostons here. We rarely see them at home. I am tempted to buy a Boston but I Marley would have his nose out of joint so I had better resist. Those Bostons are such cute dogs!!

I have gained 6 pounds on this trip. I really am DISgusted with myself...but I can't deal with that now. I will be home soon enough and then I will think about it.

We both bought lots of books and CD's. What a marvelous selection down here.

We still have to go to nothern Sask. and nothern Alta. to visit relatives...brrr, I hope it won't be too much snow. Our heating system in the RV is not working.

LaDean
11-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Judi, hey sounds like your having a ball. just do that now. you can always get on plan when back and all settled in. i am so glad its going so good the trip and all. Yes we love our boston. they are good dogs. ours is ailing some. but still got him and so thankful for that. hes doing ok for having his little blindness and all. Its so good you dropped back in.. good to hear from you.. well have a great day to all of you. my scales are upppppppppp/ made a stew and i was so hungry for it and the day for one. so now its be goooddddddd rest of week. oh well that is life. LaDean

judi
11-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Hi everyone!

Sorry to hear the your little dog is ailing some LaDean but as you say you still have him and that is the important thing. My little dog had so many things wrong with her before she died but she was so upbeat and always had her little doggie smile on her face. Such a sweet little thing.

I plan to get back on the plan when I am home...ww, that is.

Yesterday we walked by the White House and had a look. They were putting up a Christmas tree on the south side in the park across from it. It was kind of a thrill (for a Canadian) to be walking down Pennsylvania Ave. We drove around and looked at things...there are SO many interesting things to see, I can see you have to come here MANY times so I am not going to get into a fret about what I didn't have the energy to see. It really is a marvelous place.

I left my cameras in the RV. so I couldn't take pictures. I wrecked the digital one at Niagara Falls (water got in it) but the 35mm had become a bossy monster...every time I would take a picture, I would see at least 3 better angles to take it from but the opp. had gone by...or I would be ...snapping, snapping, snapping then put the thing away in its case and then huge vistas would unfold that I "should" have taken pictures of. I was viewing a large part of the trip thru the lens...then I would develop some pictures...and it was "Hey, this IS NOT what I saw". Ledom, being a photographer, do you ever feel your camera is in charge and not doing what you want? Anyway the whole thing was getting frustrating so I think I am going to forgo photography for awhile and just enjoy the trip itself.

How are you enjoying Florida Alice? We were quite tempted to go down there with the other Canadian snow birds but there it is the "on" season for RV'ers and we thought it would be too expensive. Here and in Canada it is the "off" season so things are a bit cheaper.

ledom
11-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey girls - sorry I have been MIA lately. Just a whole lot going on. Last weekend I had the most beautiful time. Went camping, hiking, and paddling on the Buffalo River with some of the best people on this earth. It was just what the doctor ordered.

Unfortunately, on Monday when I got back to work, I was blind sided by a student with horribly hateful and hurtful comments. It escalated to a point where the Dean of Security had to be called in as well as my Dean and Chairperson. No matter how snowy white you might be, when someone throws mud at you, you get dirty. It was one of those things that happens, but it has never happend to me. I am mending my dignity now. The student has been administratively dropped from my class and banned from any future classes. After all the things she said to me and about me she had enrolled to take another class w/ me next semester! I will say this, the University structure stood behind me 100% and for that I am so very thankful.

And, oh yes judi, I do often feel that way about the camera. I'd say for every 5 rolls of film I shoot I get one image that is worth working on. That's just how it is. And I SELDOM take photographs on trips. Like you said, I'd rather experience the place totally rather than have a camera in front of my face. When I photograph it is because I have planned an outing for that pupose alone. I am looking for nice light above all things and that happens early in the day and late in the day or during certain weather conditions. That dictates a lot for me.

Was doing great on diet and exercise but not so great the last 3 days w/ stress as a huge factor in all that. On the road to recovery of the good habits though.

aleka
11-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Hi,

LaDean, I hope Tuffy is getting around better. Boston's are small enough that you can carry them around. When our Boston, the one before we got Lacee, had cataracts and was having severe heart trouble, we would carry her just about everywhere. She liked to walk on the dirt road we used to live on so I would carry her a good distance and let her walk a few steps. I did this up and down our street.

ledom, I am so sorry you had to go through that awful experience. I hope the student was severely reprimanded. That is good the university backed you 100%. Glad that you had a nice time camping. You haven't mentioned kayaking lately and I was wondering if you were still going.

judi, you sound like you're having a wonderful time on your trip. Washington DC is really a wonderful place to visit. DH & I went there a few years ago with a tour group. Have you gotten to any of the museums? DH & I wanted to go into the Holocaust Museum, but it had just opened up and the lines were well down the block. We did go to the Smithsonian and an Air and Space Museum. We also visitied the Vietnam War Memorial, but we were unable to spend much time there because we were too early to wherever we were going and we were just killing time. I honestly don't know how expensive RV Parks are down here in the winter months. Being mobile like that you could go to several different parks. I do like it down here. I absolutely love the weather. But, I'm a tad bit homesick. I miss my family and friends up north. I suppose once they all start camping on my doorstep I'll be singing a different tune. :D

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone.

LaDean
11-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Aleka, thanks so much for sharing. tuffy is doing some better has his days. but its his back end. he cannot stand long times. so sits and then scoots on his bottom around. so neat the way they can manage. yes i am so thankful i can carry him and all. he loves to take his little walk. so i will like you did carry him some and then he will stop when hes tired. i am so thankful we care share our bostons's. they are great babies. ha glad lacee is ok and all.
well for my eating plan.. i gained 1.50 this week. but its life. i am just trying and taking it day at a time. i had potlucks at church this week and then pizza Halloween with grandbabies. so its the carbs. to many. so today i am back to my 2 weeks introduction... my friend said she did this and it helped. so back to it. I am glad all is going good for you and also you Judi and Ledom.. its fun to have all of you as friends and share everything..THANKS...LaDean

ledom
11-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Happy Sat. morning girls. It is a glorious fall Saturday and I am cooking for the week. Tonight DD and I are going to Little Rock to see a play, will be just what the Dr. ordered for both us. A little escape from the week from he!!. Next week has got to be better, on the same day that I was having conferences w/ all my bosses a student turned in work that I recongized from another student a couple years back and another instructor threw a hissy fit over a photograph a student had on display involving nudity. Sheesh, where is that moon? We gotta get aligned again!

Anyway, I received the kindest note from one of my fellow art professors late in the week and it just unleashed the best cry. Up to then I was holding it all in. After all was said and done, the one good thing that came out of the week is that I work with some of the best people in the world and they are there for me when I need them.

OK will shut up about my bad week. It is OVER!

Alice, your journey to a different part of the country is so interesting to follow. You and DH are brave to set out on a new path, I can understand missing your friends. You'll make new ones though, and as you said, I bet you'll be seeing some of those old ones as well.

judi, your trip sounds like a dream to me. Good for you and DH for getting out there and seeing the world.

LaDean, you're such a good mommy to Tuffy. My new kitty Buster, is a strange one. He is a little wild still. I don't know if he'll ever be a cat that comes when you call or wants to be fooled with. He is, however, very beautiful and growing very fast. DD is home this weekend and he seems to like having 2 people in the house and has slightly warmed up to her. Maybe during the holidays when she is home more we'll be able to tease him out of his fraidy cat ways.

Oh yeah, I am still paddling Alice, I have been out the last 2 weekends. Maybe not as often as a couple years back but it is very important to me and I enjoy it so much.

LaDean
11-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Ledom. thanks so much. our babies are so precious to us right? ha got to take care of them. i am glad your new kitty is doing good. your a great mama to also to him. so glad you have your paddling to do. sounds like alot of fun. my son went out once and he loved it. daughter would have loved to but never has. me i am scared of water.ha so not for me. glad your week went good and all.
Its so neat to come on here and share and be here for one another. i love it. thanks all of you my online friends. your all the greatest. LaDean

LaDean
11-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Oh i forgot to share the most important thing today. My grandbabies were over. well there getting at age to be called grandkids. but always grandbabies to me. ha ha well we celebrated sons and grandpas birthdays today.. was fun. then we got into a game of soccer. they love it. but both want there aunt for a partner. so grandaughter had to have grandma. well i was so happy i could join in. i have loss wt and can do things like this now. its the greatest. then they both played with aunt against me, son and wife. now we all got a laugh out of that one. they kept it coming my way. ha ha i finally got a kick and the winning one. ha ha oh what fun. so thankful i have loss my wt. we had pizza and i can eat it sensibly now. that is also a great feeling. then i go over to play with the outdoor dog after they leave. she gets lose and head straight to the gate me yelling out it she goes. well i got exercise down the road. fianlly she came to me. ha so that is excited around my house today. just had to share. have a good sunday to all of you.. LaDean

LaDean
11-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Aleka, Ledom, and Judi... i am having a good day. got up and walked both days now. i feel so good to be back with it. watching the carbs better to. guess when i got so close to goal i just said oh i am there. then gained a couple back. but that ended fast so no more got on.. so doing good. scales down a bit this morning.. so early in week. by friday hope to have a loss. good one. I hope that this good new day that its going the same for all 3 of you and anyone else that might drop in... THANKS all of you for being here for me.. tuffy is better today. the weather has alot to do with him and his back end. he plays even alittle bit now and then. Oh i am so thankful to have him. I love this board because we can share our babies to. (animals. ha ) well heres hoping your all having that great day... nice weather here and just perfect my kind. LaDean

aleka
11-17-2004, 10:58 AM
Good morning,

LaDean, you must have been thrilled to be able to play soccer with your grandchildren. Glad that Tuffy is doing better. You sound like your doing great.

Ledom, hope you're having a good week so far. I'm glad to see that you're still kayaking. I know how much you love it. That was awfully nice of your fellow professors to write such a nice letter to you. I bet it more than made up for the awful way you were treated by that student.

judi, hope you're still having a wonderful trip.

The dieting part is going pretty well for me. I'm eating when I'm hungry and stopping when full. Last night we had pasta. I always measure mine out, 1 cup. I was about1/2-3/4 of the way through it when I noticed I had had enough. Usually no matter how full I was I would've eaten the whole thing. By doing it this way, I don't feel deprived and don't obsess about food. Weight loss will be a lot slower this way, but that's ok.

Enjoy the day!

LaDean
11-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Aleka, hey so happy your doing good on your plan. thats the right way to go. as we have to watch portions. so glad your doing good. its so less stressful to have what works isn't it?? i am this morning less then 2 lbs away from goal. so really being strick today and tomorrow. Yes it was a great feeling to play with grandbabies and not be worn out.

I hope everyone has a great day. together we can lose .. its fun... Have a great day to all. LaDean

ledom
11-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Yeah Alice - good for you. Boy I am on here this morning in an effort to turn myself around. I'd say I have had a pretty bad month diet wise. I have kinda fallen into that "I'll start Monday" mentality lately and every area of my life is suffering for it. I feel kinda out of control and uncentered from it. So, today I am eating by the clock. BFL style, a carb and a protein. I don't want to slip to a place I really regret on the scale. I would say the SBD experiment set me off on this slippery slope. Not for me, I felt too denied and have counteracted with a vengenance. Exercise has fallen away as well. Today I am just concentrating on a perfect eating day - will attack exercise soon.

aleka
11-18-2004, 11:24 AM
ledom, exercise for me has fallen away too. We walked faithfully for 2 weeks, then some things came up last week and we weren't able to do our walks. Now, it's very difficult to get back into it. You enjoyed eating the BFL way and you did so well with it. You will get back in the swing of things very soon. Let us know how BFL is going. I have found out that I need a "mix" when I eat. I have to have a carb with protein, otherwise I feel :p

Hey LaDean, hope you and Tuffy are having a good day.

LaDean
11-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Ledom. good for you. getting back to a plan is what its all about. have a good day..

My scales were down alot yesterday. then fixed hubby a roast dinner for birthday and i had a few potatoes. knowing darn well there a NO NO.. but were good. so scales are still down not jsut as much. but today a new and good day.. tomorrow weigh in.. i am getting ready for a walk. been back with it. that helps me alot to

aleka, have a good day you and lacee. tuffy is doing ok.. wooofffff to lacee.I tryed to put a picture of him on here but do not know how to do it.. i will hopefully figure it out.

judi..... still traveling...???? well have fun.

i wish all of you a great day.. LaDean

ledom
11-19-2004, 09:25 AM
Morning girls, yesterday was not perfect but much, much better. It did help to get on here and state my delimma. Got up this a.m. and did a leg workout and walked a mile in my neighborhood. Watch out - I'm making a comeback!

Hope ya'll have a great day.

aleka
11-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Good morning,

In yesterday's mail we got a Thanksgiving pkg. from our former neighbors in NH, as you recall, they were our only neighbors. There were a lot of fall stuff in the pkg., amongst everything, a jar of apple butter from one of our local orchards, 2 mini loaves of pumpkin bread that she baked, and a very nice Thanksgiving card. I called to thank them and she said she was going to put in some fallen leaves, but they had crumbled. I told her it was ok, she could have put anything in except snow. Then she told me we hadn't gotten our Dec. pkg. yet. I thought it was very thoughtful of them to do that. I have decided to send them a Christmas pkg. with a lot of little FL items.

ledom, Taking baby steps is the right way to make your comeback. Good for you!

LaDean, that's great your scales are down. Congratulations!

Have a good day!

LaDean
11-19-2004, 03:58 PM
GOOD MORNING TO ALL. its a good one to loss 2.50 last week. i mean i worked my butt off.ha that is i stuck to my plan. ha i guess i was sliding away little bit. hubby would say now your getting to eat that. i would say wellllllll. so glad he is so good to help me. he jsut worried about my health as i was ready for a stroke or heart attack the way i had been going. so happy now i feel so good. Only 2 lbs to go. oh that is a good feeling again. ha ha i hope wednesday i am at goal. my thanksgiving wish. we have tops day before.. that is good. ha Hey aleka that is so neat your friends sending a gift to you and all. and you sending them one of there also. neat idea. thank you so much and the rest of you for all the help you give me. so glad our little board is up and going again.. you all are doing so good. gee its fun to work together and share so much.. i want to wish you all a great day and weekend.. LaDean

LaDean
11-20-2004, 04:21 PM
SATURDAY MORNING HI..

I did it i reached my GOAL THIS MORNING... YEHHHHHH. Lost 2 more lbs since yesterday morning. wish i could have done it friday. but hey this is ok to. so happy and excited... ha i just had to share it. now i have to be careful and real good to keep it off till wednesday. as we weigh in then not friday... so i am being oh so good. so keep the fingers crossed for me. ha ha I will be praying alot. just had to share this. Hope everyone is having as good a day... LaDean

aleka
11-21-2004, 07:09 AM
Way to go LaDean! Congratulations on reaching goal. It was a long hard struggle, but you did it. :cp: You must be really thrilled.

LaDean
11-22-2004, 12:13 AM
Aleka, thanks so much. got to keep it off now till wednesday for tops. had a thanksgiving dinner at church today. but that is all i have had. so hopefully now 2 days to keep it down ... yes its exciting. i am so very happy... i got to get with my walking more now to. its my friends here that give me the inthusium to do it.. together sharing is what helps so much. thanks for that to all of you. LaDean

ledom
11-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Go LaDean - yes it's great to have friends that walk with. I am so proud of you.

Are you guys going to cook for thanksgiving? I am - I have my menu planned and it's pretty healthy.

I celebrated my birthday Saturday, it has been a weekend filled with celebratory food - I dumped the leftovers this a.m. Too tempting. Birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, it is a triple whammy of food to resist. I think I can make Thanksgiving healthy and more exercise will help me maintain too. So gotta really work on that.

Ya'll have a great week.

aleka
11-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Hi,

ledom, happy belated birthday! :balloons: Hope you had a very nice one. We're going out to eat with my IL's so I don't have to do any cooking and no leftovers to tempt me. What's on your menu?

LaDean, glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving dinner at your church. Will you be cooking Thanksgiving or will you be going someplace else? It's nice to have a bunch of friends to enjoy walking with. It makes the time go that much faster. Walking will surely keep you at your goal. Again, congratulations.

Have a good day.

LaDean
11-22-2004, 09:58 AM
:balloons: Hi all. :thanks: so much.. scales up a bit this am. but that is ok... i had a good dinner at church and tryed to watch it and did. Yes i will be fixing Thanksgiving dinner. i have planned it healty to.. my family do not need it either. ha ha i will have 11 for it. so a fun day with family.

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY LEDOM Glad it was a good one... :balloons:

to all of you have a great day..... and thanksgiving...

aleka
11-24-2004, 07:17 AM
ledom, LaDean, HAPPY THANKSGIVING and a good long holiday weekend.

LaDean
11-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Aleka, thanks so much you have a great one also.. weigh in this morning and i had a great loss 1.50 but down alittle bit as 1/2 from goal. but that is ok was not meant to be. hubby said your being tested to do good tomorrow. so i looked at it better attitude at least a good loss. and 2 weeks in row with good ones. so made me feel better. i intend to really be good tomorrow. i will have my dessert and all. so its CHOICE and my choice.. so i am going to chose to be good. tuffy says wooooffff lacee.. in there language that means to have a nice tg day.. hes doing better. we finally decided to buy some nail trimmers and do his nails. worked out so good. so that made us happy. LaDean

Ledom and Judi. hey have a good one to. hope plans and all are going good. just be good tomorrow. eat and enjoy but friday we can hop right back on our plans and do it...

LaDean
11-26-2004, 07:30 PM
well i hope all of you had a great thanksgiving day. i sure did. i played soccer with the grandbabies and 2 neices. was so fun. thankful that i could do it. i have so much to live for and one of those is playing with those 2 grandbabies. we had a ball. just a all in all perfect day. dinner was good. i never done to bad. was not stuffed like i have been in other years. i was up this morning. but hey that is to get me with it and have a loss this week. i would love to be at that goal. if its meant to be i will. i never really got off plan to bad. but was so strick last week trying for goal. and only a hafe away. that when i did eat different it added up. but could always be worse. tuffy had a great day to.. he stayed out of the way but everyone knows hes blind so they watch. kids are even so good. so thankful to have him. wooffff lacee he says..

to all a great new month now. we will over come the next holiday also. we can and we will... thanks to all of you my friends. LaDean

ledom
11-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Morning girls - I am glad you had a good holiday LaDean and hope you did as well Alice.

DD and I are planning to go shopping today.

I am still struggling to get back to some serious healthy habits. I know I can do it. This has been the worst lull I have had in a couple of years, don't know what has gotten into me.

aleka
11-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Good morning,

LaDean, glad you had a good holiday and a good time with your grandkids. Lacee says "WOOF" to Tuffy.

ledom, could you have diet burnout? You'll get your act together soon I'm sure. Enjoy your day of shopping.

Have a good weekend.

LaDean
11-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Aleka, hi to you. yes gained 3.75 lbs, today only 2 up so its going down. i am so glad. hope your day is going good. tuffy says thanks lacee

we all get a burn out me with exercise now. but geting back with it.. a new month coming up.. good luck to all of you. LaDean

ledom
11-29-2004, 05:58 AM
Happy Monday morning ladies. LaDean, that doesn't sound so bad - you are doing the wise thing by keeping track of where you are and taking care of it right away.

How was your Thanksgiving Alice? Ours was nice, the dinner I prepared was pretty easy as Thanksgiving dinners go. 40 Garlic chicken, roasted vegetables, salad, green beans, baguette, and mother brought pies. Excluding the pies, it was pretty healthy as well.

You know, it could be diet burn out, but I am more inclined to think I have had a stressful couple of months. I have a dull ache in my left shoulder that shows up during times of stress. Just some life knocks, and well the election....I didn't sign up for yoga this go around and I know I am missing some benefits there. I keep intending to practice on my own but still haven't. Anyway, I am working hard to pull myself together. Have exercised and eaten properly 2 days in a row now, and that in itself has me feeling better.

I did a practical thing over the weekend. Anymore, so many of my recipes come from the internet. I bouch a notebook and plastic page protectors to put them in and create my own notebook. For some reason those loose pages got lost easily.

Judie - where are you?! Isn't it about time you got home? - I miss you.

Have a great week folks and check in with you soon.

aleka
11-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Good morning,

LaDean, hope you're not concerned about the little gain. Weight will fluctuate everyday. You've done really well with Atkins.

ledom, glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. Mine was very nice. We went out to dinner with my ILs and had a very nice meal. The best part, no cooking and no cleanup! Stress can really do a number on you. I know the stress of packing up our stuff, our move, and then unpacking, the last thing on my mind was diet and exercise. I try, but can't seem to stick to anything for very long. AH yes, the election.... :( That notebook idea is a really good one. I have a file box that holds 4x6 cards that I used when we had our machine shop. I decided to put my recipes on the cards we have and put them in that box. I started doing that just before we moved and put all the loose paper with recipes from the internet in an envelope. Some day I'll go through and finish my project.

I didn't do any shopping over the weekend. We did go to this gift shop, as they were having a sale on Christmas ornaments 1/2 off, and I'm looking for some "Floridian" type ornaments to send to a couple of people. But, they didn't have anything that struck me. There are a few other places I can look, and that's just what we're doing today.

Have a good day ladies.

LaDean
11-30-2004, 02:26 AM
Hi aleka and Ledom. so happy your thanksgivings was so nice. i am so thankful my family were all here and i can fix for them. but the left overs are a thing to. i have been good. just up 2 lbs to go. so hopefully.. know what you mean Ledom, that is me with the exercise. now i love it. but just do not know why i cannot get back into it. i each day say this is the one. and couple weeks ago it was. now back in a rut. got a cold now but is worth it got it playing outdoors with grandbabies and playing soccer. so i loved every minute of it cold or no cold. ha ha was a cold day to. ha oh well i will live. ha yes i weigh daily so i except what is. as i know its up some and down some. i have gotten off some on carbs. but trying to get that amt for me. ha well Judi hey yes where are you???? miss you lots... we at least are keeping this board going. so that is good. Have a great week you all. LaDean

ledom
12-01-2004, 07:30 AM
Morning girls - what's up?

I am happy to report I have 4 days in a row now of good eating and exercising. I will really try to be consistent with this. Having a little break at Thanksgiving really helped me get turned around.

DD gave me a diskman for my birthday and I have been to the library to check out books on CD. Yesterday I doubled my time on the treadmill while listening to Daniele Steele. I have to say this is more my beach reading choice, but something light seemed right to me. I also checked out the best movie - Middlemarch - that I have been watching a little each night.

The semester is winding down, 2 1/2 more weeks. The students are stressed out, but my work is slowing down - except for grading that is. Not much in new lessons to prepare though. DD will be performing in a one act play next week and I'm looking forward to that. I have really enjoyed sharing her passion for theater - really seeing a lot of good plays and just enjoy hearing about all she is learning.

Not a lot of news this morning but just wanted to report that I am back on track.

LaDean
12-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Ledom, good for you glad to hear your back to plan and doing good. that is great. well i made a stew yesterday. would not think not eating the potatoes i would gain. but did. so i just said i am going to eat right now. gain or not gain. ha just in that mood this morning. ha i need to get back to exercise as been off it for awhile. and i will. my cold is just not the best so makes me feel ucky.ha

I hope everyone a good day. LaDean

judi
12-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Hi! Congratulations to all who have...lost weight :) had a birthday :queen: and celebrated thanksgiving :D !!

I am home after 2 months on the road...it was a wonderful holiday but I am glad to be in a house that isn't moving.

Diet assessment (sp.??) Ten pounds up :p

What is living in Florida like Alice?

I am starting treadmilling today. I am not going to think about it..just do it.

I have done all my Christmas shopping and am going to address cards today. Christmas shopping was minimal because over the last few years we have cut way back and up-ed our charitable giving which makes us happier.

When we were driving back we drove thru Banff on 1A (not the main route), it was awesome. There was just us and the falling snow and the moonlight and the mountains so that put me in a Christmas frame of mind.

Hope to be able to write some good diet news soon.

ledom
12-03-2004, 07:52 AM
Welcome home Judi!!!!!!!

aleka
12-03-2004, 08:18 AM
Welcome back Judi! Your trip does sound awesome. I'm so happy that you were able to do such a long trip. Living in FL is very different than NH. It didn't seem like Thanksgiving, nor does it seem like Christmas is fast approaching. I'm so used to the cold and snow. Glad to see you're back.

LaDean
12-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Judi, welcome back. so happy your trip was so good. and fun and pretty. i love the fall my favorite time of year. Know what you mean aleka i bet living where there is sun all year round it would be hard. like i said i love fall and i love diffrerent seasons to with weather. I am not a sun person. ha has been cold here. going to get out christmas decorations this weekend and get them out. get in mood. our town has alittle parade in the am. was going to go but my cold and its so cold out.. has been sad 3 days here. had to give away our outdoor dog. she just was not one for city and chained up. hubby said he could no longer do it to her. so i Know shes more happy and all. even though shes missed alot. no longer has to be chained has her freedom. so its worth that to me. I prayed along time about it.. was the answer. tuffy is doing ok. so thankful for that. I have been riding my exercise bike lately.. well have a great weekend to all. LaDean

LaDean
12-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Good day friends. missing you. i gained 2 lbs in 2 weeks. so was not to worried. i am just going to put this goal out of mind. ha ha maybe then it will come to. so now 2 away. but i will not let it get any futher away. back to being good i mean good with those darn carbs.ha so its been a good day... hope it has for all of you . have a great weekend. LaDean

esteban
12-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Hello everyone! Its judi...I got another computer and lost my login somewhere along the line.

Well, I am back on the wagon :hat: or 3 days now. I rejoined WW online, I am still with the point system. Are you still doing WW online Alice?

Ledom, is "Middlemarch" the BBC production of it? I have seen it. It is good. Those are the kind of things I like to watch. We went to the library today, first time in a couple of years and I brought back movies, books etc. The "new" me is not going to by everything on Amazon.com anymore.

The kids are going to Hawaii with the other in laws, so Christmas will be quiet.

Glad Tuffy is still doing good and hanging in there. I am taking very good care of Marley, frying him an egg every morning (I don't even do that for the DH), giving him tuna and boiled potatoes for supper periodically trying to make him last and set a longevity record for Lhasa Apso's.

We have been getting rain and more rain here. We had a bit of snow and that made it seem a bit festive but it quickly melted.

Hope to hear from you all soon. :gossip:

aleka
12-13-2004, 07:13 AM
Good morning,

It has gotten a wee bit chilly here. It's in the 40's overnight, then during the day it gets into the 60's. It's like our fall weather in NH.

I cannot get over how elaborate some people down here decorate their houses at Christmas. Some are very tasteful..some are not. Someone recommended that DH & I go to this one street where every single house on the street is decorated. We went the other night and it was a real "jaw dropper" . They even had lights strung on their lawns. DH & I plan to go back and take some pics.

Went to a local wildlife preserve one night last week. Until Dec. 26th, I believe, they're having a Christmas lights display walking tour. It really was quite nice. We did take some pics and DH got some Flamingos a little disturbed, as you could hear them making noise.

ledom, how was your D's play? I bet she was good in it. How are the dieting and exercising coming along? It won't be long now before you're on break, if you're not already.

Haven't heard from esteban in a long time, judi. BTW, how is he doing? Glad to hear that Mr. Marley is doing well. Eggs are good for dogs coats too. Glad to hear that you rejoined WW online and that you've been really good. No, I don't do WW online, it doesn't give me the incentive I need to keep me on the straight and narrow. But, I am again toying with the idea of joining WW this week. That's wonderful news for your D that she'll be in Hawaii for Christmas. I understand they do Christmas big over there. Hawaii is one of my favorite places. Where in Hawaii will she be? I know you're going to miss her and your grandson. Will you be dog sitting?

LaDean, sorry about the weight gain, but it's that time of year. It's only a temporary thing. How's Tuffy?

Hope you all have a good day.

LaDean
12-13-2004, 09:40 AM
Esteben,,,,oh a new name i like. i will have to get use to it. ha and i will. glad your back on board. ha I never knew dogs could eat tuna.... so they can.. I thought it would posion them. do not know where i heard that. Ha tuffy is fine. spoiled like all of them are. He went in for his rabie shot and she said he has cateracts on his little eyes. one is no sight and the other one partial site. but at his age just leaving it be.. anyhows he says woooffffff to all his little online friends... I am doing ok on my plan just got back to being more strick this week. i was adding to many carbs. not really realizing it i think.ha so i want a good loss this week. glad your back with ww online. it does help some. I just never got use to it really. but glad its helping you and all. Oh Hawaii. my daughter lived there for over 2 years she loved it.. never been..

aleka,,, you will find your plan and you will go for it. you have before and you will this time to. if it be ww or what ever i wish you the best of luck. Yes they put lites on lawns here and all over to. so pretty. I took a walk last nite and to see lites in neighbor hood. we usually drive around also and see them. i love doing that. I am getting ready to take my morning walk.just as soon as it shows lite outside. ha I have not walked in awhile. so last nite showed me get with it. My cold is over now so thankful for that. i miss my walking for sure. it was so nice here yesterday and last nite a lite wind and so warm. is this morning also.

Ledom. hope your day is going good. after first of year i am getting to library and get some books on tapes. i think i will like them exercising.. good luck to you and to all and have a good week. LaDean

ledom
12-14-2004, 06:49 AM
Hey, it is good to hear from everyone. Guys I am still struggling - it is to the point where I am afraid to step on the scale! Just do not know what has gotten into me. But, today is a new day and I am off work for almost a month - hopefully having some time off will help me regroup and get it going again.

I probably will finally lose my annual flowers from last nights hard freeze. We have had a light frost a couple times but it finally got really cold. Lows in the 20's and teens and highs in the 40's. It was time.

I haven't decorated for Christmas much. I have put out my annual wreaths on the garage and turned on the lights on the outdoor tree but that is it. Maybe today....I do like the way my house looks when I get it together. My garage is joined to the house by a breezeway and it is a salt box type structure painted white. It is double and has two pairs of large barn type doors. The tradition is for my mother to make me two cedar wreaths w/ big red bows and holly for the garage. My house is Dutch Revival and I put electric candles in the windows so it is very traditional and christmasy looking - I really need to get those up. We cut a cedar tree from the woods (don't have that yet, I like it to be really fresh for christmas), and then there is a fir tree in the back yard that is strung with lights. And I call it a day after I get that done - if I have a Christmas party I do luminarios. Gotta get busy on all this. Don't even mention Christmas cards, though I do have MOST of my shopping done.

My little cat family is doing well. Rosie had her spay surgery last week and is recovering well, Buster is growing really fast, he is a couple months younger than Rosie and already bigger than her. He is very light w/ very dark points and really thick, dense fur. He looks like he is made of velvet. Tweeg is her usual grouchy self (not to us but to the other cats.)

Have a good day all.

LaDean
12-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Ledom., you will get back with it. a good time is after holidays. i have been not good with mine either. been off on carbs. and to many of them. so this week have gone to less again... and not the starcy ones. oh your cats sound so pretty and know they are. so cute they have different personalities to. our babies. ha my tuffy he has his days and so cute to watch at times. but he manages so good toget around and all. has some accidents and falls or runs into thins. but just adjusts to it and all. is remarkable what they can do... well just take your plan a day at a time. your place sounds so pretty and know it is when you are all done. we got what few lites i put up and the tree.

Hope all of you have a great day..... LaDean

ledom
12-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Well LaDean, you're right that after Christmas is good time to get back with it but I really don't want to wait. No big Christmas partys on my agenda and I don't bake. On Christmas day there will be a lot of food around but that should be the only day. I am going to do my best to be good before and after the holiday. Today was much better foodwise. My schedule didn't include exercising though because I spent the day buying a new car!!! I didn't wake up with that in mind but I had an appt. to have a car repair done - when the mechanics got hold of it they found another serious problem and all of a sudden I was looking at a $1000 repair bill. The car has 195.000 miles on it and I must have a dependable car. So, I bought a 2003 model w/ only 15,000 miles on it. Another CR-V, it's so pretty, silver. Anyway, my day veered off into a totally unpredicted direction and there was no time for exercise. Just now got home and DD has a flat on her car so looks like tomorrow morning will be spent dealing w/ her car problems. A long story, but I will end up carting her back to university for her finals, the first one at 8 in the a.m. and we live an hour away from school. I am off, but not really off yet it seems! Even so, it is nice to have the time to take care of these emergencies.

Hope all is well with everyone.

aleka
12-15-2004, 06:26 AM
Good morning all,

ledom, I am so sorry about your car problems. How is the new one running? My favorite cousin drives a CR-V and loves it. Did you get a freeze last night? It got quite cold here, down into the 30's and it's only supposed to be in the 60's. I guess I'm singing a different tune these days. When I lived in NH the 60's were enough cause to don some shorts and a T/shirt. :lol: Your house sounds lovely. We've put our tree up and a few decorations inside. We bought 2 sets of those netted lights for a couple bushes near the house. They seemed to be the right size, but one barely covered the bush and the other one already had bulbs burnt out. Glad that your cat family is doing well and that Buster has adjusted well to his new home.

LaDean, sorry to hear about Tuffy having cataracts. It's so sad to see them get old. But, he'll get around just fine as long as you don't move any furniture around. You'll get back on track.

esteban (judi), how is WW coming along?

Have a good day all.

LaDean
12-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Aleka, I figured he had them. could see a spot in his one that he sees out of some. so figured that is why he loss his site in the other eye. he does real good yes. we move nothing. he sits on his little butt alot as no feeling in his back end. and cannot stand long periods of time. but he will just scoot around so cute to get around and does pretty good. this is just on slick surface like kitchen floor. i help him alot. so very thankful to have him.. he eats good and had loss some wt we changed his eating. I am so glad lacee is doing well in her new home and all. yes it takes awhile to get use to the weather. can be same but so different. your decorations sound nice. i put some lites up around inside of windows and on tree. i have been walking of evening just to see all the lites in neighborhood. gets me in mood. heading out this morning for some shopping.. i am not much of one. ha but figured got to get it done. a nice sunny day to do it. cool but i jsut go around no jacket.ha ha

esteban, hope your ww is going good.
Ledom... hope your doing good to. have a good day to all.LaDean

esteban
12-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Where did I put my login from before??

AURGGHHH! LaDean...MAYBE tuna does poison dogs?? I never heard that, maybe it does? I know I almost poisoned my dog Parasha...her recovery made into a journal of vet. medicine (I don't feel proud about that at all). I was giving her 0 points soup and it had onions in it and ONIONS unbeknown to me are poisonous to dogs, not garlic but ONIONS. I was horrified...when I found out. She had a seziure and I took her to the vet and that is what he said it was. Isn't that awful? I have to find out about the tuna.

Ledom, congrats! :hat: on the new car! What fun...even though it was unexpected I bet it is nice now. You house sounds SOOO nice!

Alice, I am glad to hear that Christmas displays are going up in your part of the world because it seems like they are getting less and less, well, that is if you can believe the media (for the most part I don't). For the first time in my life I am not putting up a tree or lights...though I have poinsettas and some directions around. I just don't feel like doing it this year. My D and the baby are coming on the 22nd and staying over night, so that will be nice. Yes, I am babysititng Bentley, the Boston and Dinah, the fat cat.

Esteban is doing good, his name morphed into "Ginzu" because of his sharp claws and his propensity to use them. (From Ginzu knives) He sits on my DH's lap for the whole day and then sleeps in his bed. When we were driving he sat in DH's lap the whole time. He is really spoiled by my hubby.

Glad to hear you cat family is doing well Ledom. Cats are like peanuts you want to keep having more...DH and I are always talking about getting one but our cat is so territorial, I don't think he would go for it at all. He likes Dinah though, he just sits and leers at her like a guy in a bar. She pretends she doesn't see him just sits washing her paws and face but always in his line of vision.

Alice, I will tell my D that Christmas is really celebrated in a big way in Hawaii, I think she thinks she will miss it.

LaDean
12-15-2004, 05:14 PM
Now i do not know for sure about the tuna.. but always heard that. my brother gave it to his dog though. never heard about onions. tuffy likes them. so thanks for sharing that. its so nice to come on board and share our babies on here. as that is what they are to each of us... ha let me know what you find out about the tuna.

TO ALL A GOOD DAY... AND THE PETS TO. HA

aleka
12-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Hello everyone,

The only thing I do know that does poison dogs is chocolate. When you mentioned onions, something clicked in my brain, and I think I remember hearing that sometime ago. I never realized tuna was poison to dogs. I used to give our Boston, Shamrock tuna whenever I gave our cats some. HMMMM, you learn something new every day.

Judi, DH & I went to Hawaii 6 yrs. ago and I remember a tour director or someone, mentioning about the big celebration they have at Christmas and that would be a good time to return. Which island is she going to? She'll have a wonderful time. I didn't feel much like decorating this year, as it just doesn't seem like Christmas to me. But, once we got started I really got into it.

LaDean, your decorations sound lovely. When we lived in NH I put lights in the windows. But, where the windows are in the new house, nobody would see them. We have 2 livingroom windows and the window sills are very close to the floor. Outside there are a lot of bushes, so you would't be able to see them. The other windows face out to the side of the house, and nobody could really see them.

ledom, how is the new car running?

Enjoy the rest of the day.

LaDean
12-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Aleka, glad you decided to decorate some. i know its pretty to. gets me in the mood. ha Oh now i do not know if tuna is posion to dogs. and do not know where i heard that could be just thinking it cause salmon is. so ask to find out for sure . as my brother fed it to his dog and cat both to..

Ledom and judi... hope all is ok with the both of you....

I gained again yesterday darn..... a 1.50 just have not been a good girl with carbs. so believe me just got 2 weeks to do this. before christmas is better to. so its back to my 14 day introduction with the lowest carbs this week and next to. see in tops to become a kops and graduate at spring SRD our state meet i have to reach goal by end of the year. My friend already did and we want to graduate together. so she does not have to do it alone. so i got to get with it these 2 weeks. sometimes pressure helps me get with it. ha so got 4 lbs to lose.
well have a great weekend to all of you.... woooofffffff MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM TUFFY TO ALL HIS LITTLE FRIENDS I HAVE MET HERE......

ledom
12-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Morning girls! Are you ready for Christmas?!? Not me - but I am getting there. The tree is finally up. I have been cleaning all weekend. Tomorrow night I am having a dinner party, it's Winter Solstice and my friends and I love celebrating mother earth. I have a great menu planned and will be shopping for it today as well as the rest of the gifts to exchange with my friends.

Well, I have the best news to share with you. I thought I might wait until I had the official letter, but I want to tell you now. I have the received the best gift I can imagine - a sabbatical from work for the Fall 2005 semester!!!! I am beyond thankful and excited! The chair of the sabbatical committee told me Friday night at commencement. It just means so much to me. Of course I must be productive, but to have this gift of time in which to be productive is just the best thing ever.

On other notes, I am loving my new car, it was a good decision. I also had a fabulous day trip with my mother last week when we went to cut our tree. It was truly special and when I went to visit her yesterday she said she'd been thinking about it a lot too. We connected in a way that I don't remember in a long long time. Let me tell you a little about it. I have this fantastic childhood memory of camping with my parents when I was about 6. I guess it is the only time I ever went camping until I was an adult. It is a vivid memory that pops up every now and then. I had no idea where this occured, just knew it was by a river. Well while we were out my mother said "down that road there is where we camped that time." I was so thrilled to know where we had been and we drove back to that spot. It just brought back that weekend we were together and happy as a family to be in that place again, I so totally remembered the place. We had a great talk about my father, the old dog that was with us, how relaxed and happy we were on that holiday. I know that experience must have had a lot to do with how much I love the outdoors now. How camping and paddling on the lakes and rivers around here are such wonderful times for me. Anyway, it was a very nice day and I am so glad I got to revisit it with my mother. Real quality time.

Hope you all are enjoying the season and staying healthy. We'll be talking diet soon enough.

P.S. I planted a bed of pansies this weekend!

aleka
12-20-2004, 10:14 AM
ledom, what a nice story about the day with your mother. My mother & I also had some quality time together one fall and I am so glad we did because the following year she passed away. I often think about that day and it's a happy memory. We were canning a relish recipe from my great-grandmother. We had never done that before and we had a lot of laughs. Is your tree up yet or do you wait for Christmas Eve?

That's wonderful news about your sabbatical. Are you working on a special project? I hope you enjoy every minute of it, congratulations.

I am all ready for Christmas. The house is as decorated as it's going to get. Thankfully we're not the only house on the street without outside lights. We're talking about doing that next year. I don't remember if I've mentioned this before. But, they decorate so elaborately here in FL. At some houses, every square inch of the property is decorated. I would hate to pay their electric bill. :D

Glad that you're enjoying your new car.

judi, how are things going with you? Are you getting ready for Bentley? How are all the pets doing?

LaDean, how is the dieting coming along? Have you gone back to induction?

LaDean
12-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Aleka, so happy your all ready for christmas. yes theres people here who decorate yards and all like that to. so pretty. one i love and when i walk at nite see it. so pretty. i just put around windows and tree and use to put few outdoors. but hubby is so afraid of fires. so we like this and satifies us. ha puts me in mood. i got a few little things to do this week. but i like being out and doing them. just small ones. Yes this week back to introduction. 3 away from goal. so got to do it this week. have till end of year. so it was good to go on it this week. so praying alot.ha

Ledom. so glad you like your new car. there so nice. and glad you got the award and CONGRATULATIONS.. that is great for you and know your so happy. Hey so happy you and aleka to got to spend time with your mothers. i loss my mother in 1991 and my sister in 1994 so its so great to still have her around and be sure and share alot. as i wish i had . i lived in same town and was with my everyday. but just certain things about family history i never even thought about.. so is good those memories came up and you 2 could share. when i got my computere started searching family history. so much she could have answered.

Judi,,, hey hope all is going good your way...

HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL OF YOU.... LaDean

ledom
12-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Morning ladies. Party day and I am woefully behind on getting stuff done. I spent way too much time fighting traffic and looking for last minute gifts, etc. yesterday. When I got home I just collapsed on the couch - so now I need to really get with it. In just a minute though....see how I get in trouble?

Yes Alice, I have some big plans for my sabbatical. I need to get my digital skills freshened up so I can start offering a digital class. I have found a workshop in Santa Fe (my favorite place in the world) that has a school for just that sort of thing. I hope to take a couple trips out west as a matter of fact. I'll get to spend more time on ongoing projects here at home as well. AND, I see it as an opportunity to focus on my health (diet and exercise), my yard (a new flower bed), and my home (paint my bedroom and bathroom). Just so much I want to accomplish.

Well, I guess I'll go get with it. Everyone have a good day!

aleka
12-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Good morning,

My ILs are coming for a visit tomorrow so I have some house cleaning to do today.

Yesterday DH & I had planned on going to the movies around noon. We got to the theater, which is a local mall. They were having some sort of incident in the theater where a fire truck was involved. The doors were locked into the theater and they weren't selling any tickets at that moment. That is usually the way things go for us. We can sure pick'em.

ledom, you must be so excited about going to your favorite city to brush up on your digital skills. How long will your classes be? You have your other projects well planned. I'm sure you'll accomplish everything. I can just imagine how much you're looking forward to this "break".

LaDean
12-21-2004, 07:44 PM
hi, my day is going great. got a call this morning from out of town and a gift from a furniture store i had on call was in. so i am so happy. get for the daughter.. so all done now.. kinda gets me in the mood to get out and about.. so got it all wrapped and all. so just few little stocking things to go for tuffy. his is usually snacks so have to wait.. or he would have it all in a mess. has a strong little nose. at least hes still got it. ha ha he uses it to.. loves to eat.

Oh Ledom. that sounds so neat your new project and getting to travel to your favorite place and all for classes. i am so happy for you.. oh party time wish i was there to party.... have fun...

ledom
12-23-2004, 10:27 AM
new thread now up girls