Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-14-2004, 11:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Wintertime Exercise

I know that winter is closing in on us quickly and I'm curious if anyone switches up their routines during the winter months? I'm thinking of learning to cross country ski this winter so I can be outdoors and get a great workout! I Live in Montana so the snow part shouldnt be a problem.

Does anyone ice skate on the pond, snowshoe, or cross country ski, for exercise in the wintertime? Let us know how you keep yourself from getting bored with your routine during the colder months!
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I have an outdoor 2km skating trail around the corner from my house. It's lit and has music in the evenings until 9 or 10pm. I plan to go there at least a couple of times a week when the kids are sleeping and dh can watch them. I'll take them during the day too, but then I don't get much exercise asside from holding them up.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 02:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Omg that would be so wonderful!! We have a pond here that is open for skating in the winter (the city makes sure it is safe) but usually there are so many kids there rough housing and playing hockey that I'm afraid to skate there lol. I'd probably get my teeth knocked out. I was thinking I could possible take a trip or two a month to the indoor skating rink LOL but then again its mostly teeny boppers and I'd feel wicked out of place. But I'm looking forward to cross country skiing!!
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I'm lucky in that the city I live in creates outdoor rinks in many parks. Most people have them within a reasonable walk from their home. Plus a winter sport area around the corner from me that has a skating rink, the skating trail, sledding, and a groomed x-country ski trail (bike/walking/running path in summer). Plus a heated trailer to change your shoes in. I used to ski when I was a kid; maybe I'll look into getting a cheap pair of used skis and boots when there's snow on the ground. I could pull my girls in a sled while ds is at school.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:24 AM   #5  

I live in Ohio and, as a general rule, detest the cold. I have to admit I'm a little jealous that we don't have a skating trail!

Snuggy
SnugasaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 350/336/299

Height: 5'7''

Its just so difficult to exercise in the winter. I love to exercise but in the winter the weather can change all plans. I am looking for a gym now so that I can keep on with my weight loss success but even getting in the cold car is a challenge in the winter.
SkinnyMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 11:00 AM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Skinny, during the winter, I keep my bag in the car and go straight to the club after work. I already have to get into the cold car, so it's not a deterrent.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:11 PM   #8  

I am working on trying to get some cross country skis in time for this winter. I used to ski all the time when I was a kid and lived out in the country and am longing to get back to it. We have a fair number of urban trails and some parks outside of the city with really good trails, I just need to convince my loved ones that skis would be a really good birthday/christmas gift.
SeeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:23 PM   #9  
Running Babe

I plan on buying skates this year, I tried it again last year after retiring at 215lbs when I was 14, but now can do it with much better confidence than before.

I plan on running all winter because I am insane (isn't Ottawa the world's coldest national capital?).

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:40 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Ali -- You're in Ottawa, I'm in Cornwall... Do you need special winter running shoes in the winter?

I've been doing good running on the treadmill lately, but now that I've got the outside bug, I much prefer it... I guess everyone "Tole me so!"
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:26 PM   #11  

Actually, I absolutely refuse to exercise outside during the winter. I really HATE the cold, even that "nip in the air." When it's cold outside, all I want to do is get a blanket and a cup of hot cocoa & curl up on the couch! As far as exercising, though, the main difference between summer & winter is that I do my walking on the inside (i.e., gym treadmill) rather than the outside. My routine doesn't change too much, though, since most of my exercise is always indoors (I do home video workouts).
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:39 PM   #12  
Running Babe

I have been running since the summer and find I can handle the cool days okay since I built up to it kind of deal. I bought my shell jacket... I got a medium which is big on me, but due to my child bearing hips, the small was slightly snug on them.

Ilene: As far as I know, you wear the same shoes and usual socks for running (stay away from cotton kind of deal).

Cheers!

Ali
Old 10-19-2004, 09:50 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Ali -- Are there special kinds of running socks for the winter that are not cotton? I only have cotton...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Great question Lanaii. Not that I'm an expert on any of this, but yes there are different types of socks. There is a link below to an article on socks made especially for runners.

For everyone thinking about excerising outdoors in the winter-
In general, there is a whole line of clothing devoloping toward exercising in cold weather. For everyone, not just runners. The clothes pull the moisture away from your body so that you do not get chilled even though you sweat. Definitely worth the investment. I have a shirt ($50) which I wear under other layers when working in the cold. I have been known to soak my upper layer shirt and go home dry and warm because the technology works so well.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...-0-613,00.html

SJ
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:59 PM   #15  
Running Babe

Ilene: I know, I only have cotton socks too (need to buy soemnon-cotton), but some that are recommended are ones with a double layer to prevent blisters... they are used all through the year. Like in the like SJ gave there they have stuff like cool max in them.

SJ: Thanks!

Cheers!

Ali

Last edited by Sweater Girl; 10-20-2004 at 02:04 PM.