Old 10-11-2004, 11:14 AM   #1  
RosieKate

Default Seen any good movies lately?

Ok - I've gone and done it!

I mentioned over in Chit Chat that I saw a really good movie called Hero - a chinese martial arts film. Got me thinking....bet some people here have some good movie recommendations. I know you all have great book recommendations.....

Doesn't have to be new movies. We check out DVDs from the library all the time. We put them on hold over the internet, then get an email when they come in. So if a movie is an older title, that's fine by me! I just saw Kill Bill Vol II - got it from our library (saw Vol I this way a few months back as well) BTW, I thought they were both really good - Vol I was VERY bloody, but II not so much.

Aside from these movies/DVDs - DH bought the new Star Wars DVD trilogy that just came out - and it is great! Why is it that I get hooked on those movies all over again?

Seen anything good lately?
Old 10-11-2004, 11:32 AM   #2  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

I just saw Collateral,,,it was ok. 3 eggs out of 5

The boys saw I Robot and for a 12 yr old to say it was ok means it has to be about 1-2 egg...

Katy, I love the Star Wars Trilogy. I was 8-9 yrs old when it first came out,,,I saved all my money and bought every action toy.
Angie
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:29 PM   #3  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Last week went and saw both Ladder 49 (with DH) and The Forgotten (with DD). I guess they were okay. I was a little bored with Ladder 49, thinking it was more about John Travolta than Joaquin Phoenix. Liked The Forgotten better but think they could have done a better job. There were a lot of twists and it was a bit confusing but okay, still trying to figure that one out. Going to go see Taxi sometime this week, love Queen Latifah and Jimmy Fallon.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:00 AM   #4  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

We don't go to the movies much, but do borrow videos from the library. I just came out of the dark ages and got a DVD player for my birthday. We watched the Ladykillers with Tom Hanks which was pretty funny. Seabiscut was a good one, and Anger Management was good for a chuckle or two, but I expected better from Jack Nicholson. I don't know why I always expect his movies to be so great and am often disappointed. I will go to the library tomorrow and hope some new releases are in. I would like to see Mona Lisa Smiles..anyone seen that? My DD said she has several DVD's to loan me.
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:59 AM   #5  
GmaTo8

I liked Ladykillers, too.

Last night I saw a movie advertised that's coming out soon, with Ben Alfleck. He pays some homeowner to let him stay at his childhood home, and it looks funny. Can anybody remember the name of it?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:41 AM   #6  
One day at a time

Sue, I haven't seen Mona Lisa Smiles or LadyKillers. Don't care much for Julia Roberts anymore, not sure why. DH and I went to see Ladykillers and there was a sign on the door of the theater saying there had been a mistake so...Also, saw Anger Management because I am a big fan of Adam Sandler and I was a little disappointed in the movie. He is usually funny. Seabiscuit has been on a zillion times on cable and I have yet to see it.

Jane,Surviving Christmas! I too want to see that when it comes out. It looks really funny. I like Ben Affleck but grew tired of the Benifer crap.

Also, want to see The Grudge, or Grudge-it looks scary! And I enjoy a good scary movie once in a while.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:56 PM   #7  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Cristi- I am not much for scary movies. I do like Adam Sandler and thought it was funny when I heard that his production company is called Happy Madison. When my one DGS comes over we HAVE to watch Billy Madison...and it is soooo silly, er..stupid, but I still laugh like crazy.
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:29 AM   #8  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Cristi, Brandon watched some clip on the Grudge last night then couldnt' sleep. And of all things got me watching it, me not knowing started then got scared right off the bat.
here is the link if you are brave enough...don't watch alone or late at night.
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thegrudge/site/flash
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:17 AM   #9  
GmaTo8

Yep, Surviving Christmas is it! The guy who plays the homeonwer has been around, too, and is funny, but don't know his name.

I won't be seeing Grudge without a diaper on 'cause I know I'd need it! The preview on TV is enough to scare the crap outta me!!! Can we all say Wussie?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:04 PM   #10  
One day at a time

Sue~that too is one of our favorite movies, that and The Wedding Singer and Happy Gilmore-too funny.

Angie~okay, I was brave enough but I am glad I didn't look at it at night and alone. I know when we go to see it it will scare me but I like it once in a while.

Jane~yeah, I like that guy also. Can't think of his name either but saw him on the Sopranos and a few other things and he's pretty good.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:25 PM   #11  

Cool

Just cruising through here. The co-star of Surviving Christmas is none other than Tony Soprano - James Gandolfini.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:23 PM   #12  
One day at a time

Thanks rosettastone! For some reason I drew a blank on his name even though I have caught a few episodes of The Sopranos/ I actually like it but for some reason it seems there is something else on when it is on.

Anywho...finally went to see The Grudge...didn't know that it was supposed to be a comedy! LOL Okay, so it wasn't it was just a little on the dumb side. I found nothing scary about it at all. Although, someone behind me nearly jumped out of their pants-they shook the whole aisle of seats behind us. I would give it 3-stars out of 5 just because we found it to be funny and Sarah Michelle Gellar was quite good.

Next is Taxi and/or Surviving Christmas...
Old 10-28-2004, 10:18 PM   #13  
Not Giving Up

Height: 5'9"

Hi Everyone

Went and saw the grudge. It bothered my hubby so much that he wanted to leave half way through the movie.

I liked it.

Kathy
luckycharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:54 AM   #14  
One day at a time

Kathy~what was it about The Grudge that bothered your hubby? I know the guy down at the end of the row from us left about 15 mns. before the movie was over. And the croaking kind of was irritating to us, silly is more like it but we liked it also. Didn't think it was the scariest movie in 2004 like they are saying on the commercials. There is a scary movie coming out in January that i would like to see, with Robert DeNiro and Dakota Fanning called Hide and Seek that looks really good. Of course I like Robert DeNiro and that little Dakota Fanning is such a good little actress, and she seems so smart.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:34 PM   #15  
Not Giving Up

Height: 5'9"

Cristi
I think that what bothered him so much is that you really don't know what it is that you are dealing with. They just kind of flash on something for a few seconds. And the little guy was kind of creepy looking.
The croaking was pretty low tech sound effects.
We will probably rent the movie once it comes out.

Chat later.
Kathy
luckycharm is offline   Reply With Quote