100 lb. Club - Sarah's "I Exercised Today Thread" 10/10-10/16

heather_dw
10-10-2004, 03:32 AM
Well, just reposting Sarah's exercise thread like she did for last week,.. Hope you dont mind sarah! Here is she wrote to start this thread last week:

"Hello, sports fans! Well, I'm (with gratitude) robbing this wonderful thread idea from elsewhere on the site. It seemed to me that it would be a good idea to have a weekly thread here within our group devoted to exercise check-in; my thought is that it will help us to keep ourselves accountable for getting in some daily exercise, help us to motivate one another, and just plain be interesting since we like each other and are interested in how it's going for one another!

So, if you want to participate, just log in and give a quick post with an update on what you accomplished in the way of daily exercise! Doesn't have to be a big, long-winded explanation -- just the quick and the dirty, unless you have more to say! "

heather_dw
10-10-2004, 03:34 AM
I will start this off by saying that i walked a mile of the Leslie 2 mile Sat night/Sun morning. got to 17 minutes, but that is only because i had to stop twice to answer the phone, but a mile is a mile right? :-P

nelie
10-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Heather, A mile is a mile and it doesn't matter if you stop because you are still getting the same amount of exercise even if you break it into 5 times a day.

Last night, I tried a yoga dvd I had gotten from Netflix, well I should pay attention to a DVD if it says beginner or not, I did about 10 minutes of it and then they started doing some crazy things and I was like uhhh I can't do that. Turns out it is an intermediate Yoga dvd so I don't feel so bad.

Today, I've strapped on my pedometer which is good so hopefully I'll report back later :)

tolose85
10-10-2004, 01:37 PM
2 mile power walk with doggies for me today (Sunday)

lessofsarahtolove
10-10-2004, 07:35 PM
Oh my gosh, THANK YOU, Heather! Ay yi yi! You know, I really had it in my head that it was Sunday - Sunday, like the Weigh-in thread, but apparently not! :lol: Thanks again Heather for picking it up! :D

Ok, here's my report: I've had my period full-on for about a week and a half now, and I'm not seeing much movement on the scale; just a pound --despite the fact that I'm doing all the right stuff! (2 slices of thin pizza one night, but that's no biggie in the greater scheme of things.....and I was really on top of my cal's before and after.) Soooo, yesterday and today I really focused on doing the biking with intensity intervals, because it burns much more than the walking. I'm still doing the walking, don't get me wrong, I just wanted to get in a little extra calorie-killin' in the hopes that when this miserable thing finally exits the premises, all this hard work will reveal itself on the scale, not just in smaller sizes! For consistency's sake here's my report for both Saturday and Sunday:

Saturday: 10 miles HIIT biking, and 2 miles power walk with ramp and weights, lunges and squats
Sunday: 13 miles HIIT biking

My thighs and butt are sore: not just quads, but hams and glutes, and it feels great! Saturday, through exercise, I burned 976 calories, and today I burned 896. (I don't count just regular walking or other activity.)

I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone else is doing!

lil_cara_mia
10-10-2004, 09:05 PM
In about 30 minutes when the DS goes to bed, I'm going to be attempting yoga/pilates (beginner) for the very first time. I'm excited about it. I had ordered this dvd at Amazon and they said it wouldn't be shipped until Dec., then I ended up finding the same one at Walmart today for 1/2 the price whoo hoo! Needless to say I scooped it up and cancelled my amazon order.

I also got in 2 1/2 hours of walking around walmart doing my Christmas lay-a-way. I know it's not a big deal walking on flat ground at a slow pace, but compared to what I usually do it's something :lol:

Heather

nelie
10-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Heather, what Pilates/Yoga DVD did you buy? Tell us how you like it, my current mission is to increase my flexibility.

Today was my first full day of using my pedometer and for a non working day, I did pretty good. Total steps: 6621 and 1.88 miles. I expect that I'll add a couple hundred steps before bed just walking around.

I went to the gym today, did 75 minutes of weight lifting on my legs but I kind of felt sick at the end. I didn't do any cardio. I may do some yoga before bed.

lil_cara_mia
10-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Hi nelie :)

I bought Louise Solomon's Yoga & Pilates (Vol. 1). Never having done either before I was a bit nervous starting it, but she is really great. The movements are slow and she tells you exactly what to do, when to breathe, etc.

I made it through 15 minutes of the actual workout (there's a long talking intro to the dvd), and OUCH my abs are killing me today :lol: . I love it, I know I actually DID something.

After the first workout (26 mins), I guess there is a second one, a bit more intermediate (30 mins).

You do need the therabands for this workout, but they are pretty cheap if you don't already have them.

All in all, I think I'll be very happy with this dvd. I like the instructor, I like the detailed explanations of everything, and I like that I feel it in my core today. Once I'm able to complete both workouts I plan to buy her Vol. 2.

It's worth a shot to pick it up and see if you like it. I only spent $5.50 for it in the cheapo dvd bin at Walmart, so, no great loss if it's not for you. Amazon.com has it for $6.99 plus shipping, but they aren't sending them out until December. I'm sure BestBuy online probably has it too. Hope this helps! :)

Heather

lessofsarahtolove
10-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Tonight after work I walked 2 miles.

teapotdynamo
10-11-2004, 10:30 PM
This evening I did 30 minutes of upper body weights, 20 minutes on the stairmaster, and 25 on the elliptical. I'm tired, but it felt great today.

tolose85
10-11-2004, 10:32 PM
2 miles of powerwalking/jogging today!

djs06
10-11-2004, 11:17 PM
45 minutes cross trainer, ab exericses (eek, hate those!)

SwimGirl
10-11-2004, 11:20 PM
ha! I can add to this! :) I hiked up my hill after work, which is 25 minutes straight up. Not only that, I'm good for food today (this might not be positive, I ate breakfast, and then only a banana, but I do have the flu).

nelie
10-12-2004, 12:15 AM
I went to the gym, did 60 minutes of weight lifting, chest and triceps. No yoga tonight I'm afraid, I have homework to do.

Also, I took a short walk before the gym and my pedometer currently reads 6803 steps or 1.93 miles for the day. It isn't close to the recommended 10000 steps but I'll need to do some cardio to reach that I think.

jkfla
10-12-2004, 09:42 AM
today i'm going to walk around wal mart for a while. i tested my pedometer and its way off. i counted 25 steps and it only showed 4. so i think i'm going to get a new one and try it out. and when i get home its back to the watp. i've been lazy for a few days now so i need to get my butt in gear.

lil_cara_mia
10-12-2004, 09:44 AM
yesterday I did 4.5 hours of heavy cleaning (moving furniture, cleaning carpets, reorganizing, etc.) not sure how much that counts for, but has to be something.

Today I'm planning to do my yoga/pilates tape. Hopefully I'll also be able to get in a 1/2 mile walk around the block.

teapotdynamo
10-12-2004, 09:46 AM
I did 40 minutes of HIIT on the cross-trainer today. No time for weights :(.

nelie
10-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Shelly, does your pedometer have a sensitivity setting? Most do. Mine actually doesn't (or I haven't figured out how to use it) but it is so damn accurate, I'm guessing it doesn't need one.

An update to my steps for yesterday was really 7077 which is 2.01 miles. My pedometer has a memory of 7 days back and knows what time it is so it resets to 0 when it is a new day. I never thought I'd like a pedometer this much, but I really really like this one.

Jen
10-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Just got back from the gym. did 10 minutes on the treadmill and 25 on the eliptical machine. Was too wiped to do any weights, besides I only had time for one or the other so I did cardio.

Ivanna B. Skinny
10-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi All!
Last night I did 40 mins on the elliptical, a circut of the weight machines (arms&legs) and did Abs, too! Great workout--it felt great!! Amy

heather_dw
10-12-2004, 08:49 PM
After slacking off for 2 whole days I did a mile of my 2 mile dvd. I dont know what it is but i havent been off plan, but I am slacking a bit. Dont know if it is lack of results, or just the blah's...hmm...lol

Ivanna B. Skinny
10-12-2004, 09:56 PM
25 mins on the elliptical tonight...too tired for more. :mad:
Did abs, too, though.

Congrats on the mile Heather...you'll get back into the swing of things!

nelie
10-13-2004, 12:28 AM
I played basketball during lunch time, it was kind of amazing because it is 3 on 3 basketball, 2 guys 1 girl and I was paired up against a runner (the girl runs something like 10 miles a day if not more) and I was able to keep up with her. She even got tired of me because I was able to block her so well when she had control of the ball.

I then went to the gym as well and did 45 minutes of shoulders work.

artist
10-13-2004, 04:38 AM
Nelie - that's fantastic, sounds like you are super-fit!
I walked for 15 mins on Monday, walked for 10 mins yesterday.....and am finally going to make it to the gym/pool tonight. Its been a busy couple of days....not a good excuse, but true!

dowsx4
10-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Yesterday was a milestone for me. I ran a mile for the first time in my life, even when I was in school I could not run even a quarter of a mile! It was a major goal for me:)

Ivanna B. Skinny
10-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Congratulations Julie on that MILE!!! What an accomplishment!!!
--Today I did 35 on the elliptical (using the "fatburning interval" setting! WHEW!!) 1 circut of the weight machines (and I upped the weight to 35lbs on arms!). Then I came home to do abs---I'm exhausted, but in that good way!! I cant velieve that I've actually exercised 3 days in a row! For me, that's a feat! :D

Jen
10-13-2004, 03:36 PM
I got to the gym this morning, did 20 minutes on each the elliptical and treadmill and also did some weights.

jkfla
10-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Shelly, does your pedometer have a sensitivity setting? Most do. Mine actually doesn't (or I haven't figured out how to use it) but it is so damn accurate, I'm guessing it doesn't need one.

all mine has is mode (which is where you can view the miles or the steps its counting), set (where you set how far you step from 12 inches to 60 inches (i think you'd have to be pretty darn tall to have it on 60) and i reset it to 12 since i'm so short but its still not counting right), and reset. i'll take a pic later and post it. it was the cheapy one at wal mart. if i had the case it came in i'd take it back and get the better one that counts calories and has the date and all that.

yesterday i walked around wal mart for a while and then came home and did 3 miles. i planned on getting in 2 miles today but i have a splitting headache and nothing is working for it. i'm actually at 98, i was wanting to hit 100 today but i guess it will just have to wait til tomorrow.

so tomorrow i'll hit 100 and maybe do 3 more for a total of 5 and i plan on doing some heavy duty house cleaning because the kids have this place just totally wrecked! and dillon lost his new glasses so i think i'll tackle the bedroom again starting tonight to see if i can find them.

heather_dw
10-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Well, i did my mile and when i wanted to stop, i made myself walk an extra minute. I dont know what I would do without me Leslie Dvd..lol

great job everyone on all the exercising!

nelie
10-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Shelly, since I bought my new pedometer, I realized how much pedometers could vary. My first pedometer (I got it free so it was a cheap one) had a sensitivity setting but that is it. The only problem with it is that if you hit the reset button, which it was really easy to do, for a millisecond, then you were set back to zero. With my current pedometer, you have to push it in hard for a few seconds for it to reset. I measured my stride, which I have short legs as well, and it was 18 inches so my pedometer can count how many miles a day I walk just doing my ordinary tasks and so far my average is about 2 miles.

teapotdynamo
10-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Whew... just got back, and I'm still a sweaty monster. Well, kids, I upped the ante on the StairMurderer today and managed to eke out 30 minutes. The most I had *ever* done before was 20, so I'm pretty proud of myself (and tired!).

On the other hand, I've kind of been neglecting my weights. I was going to do legs after just warming up (!) on the Stairmaster, but I kind of hit a groove. By the time I went over to the weight area, my legs were just way too exhausted. So, rather than have it be a total loss, I did another 20 minutes on the elliptical. :)

Nelie, I need some of your weightlifting drive. I do love it, but since I've been trying to up my cardio, I've been running out of time/steam!!! Looks like it might be time to buy a couple training sessions to up the strength training!

Congrats, everybody, and congrats, Julie on the mile!!!! :cp:

nelie
10-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Jennifer,

I love love love love weight lifting mostly because I have shown more results emphasizing weight lifting than when I was emphasizing cardio. I will admit that my cardio is quite secondary to my weight lifting. I HAVE to get in 4 days of weight lifting a week, but cardio? eh whatever I'll work it in one way or another. I read something before and I didn't really believe it but basically you can't concentrate on both cardio and weight lifting at the same time, one of them will suffer. I now understand it completely.

lessofsarahtolove
10-14-2004, 12:33 AM
Kudo's to Heather for the mile!! And Jen, you stairmonster, you're SCARY! :lol: You guys rock!

My DP's been out of town for a while, and work has been especially hectic for me, with later days....then with a total of 8 animals and just me to care for them (and the house! :eek: ) I've sort of neglected the time outside with the puppy! So I walked him for what my pedometer said was 2 miles. I did that a few days ago also, and he was ECSTATIC, so I thought I'd give him that gift. It's better than nothing, but not quite the intensity level that I need on a regular basis. Anyway, that's it for me today: 2 miles walked.

Once Lorraine gets back and things calm down, I'll be back to my normal schedule. (And also be a lot happier -- I miss her! :love: )

Br00klyn
10-14-2004, 01:05 AM
Congrats to everyone! :bravo: Great job keeping active!

As for me, I finally after 1 FULL month + 10 days, went to the GYM! :D :dance: :D

I didn't do much as it was the first time back so a little rough.. Only did 30 mins. of cardio, but I was very proud that I actually broke the cycle and went, now I just have to keep with it and it'll get much easier pretty quick! ;)

Not to mention... I got a speeding ticket on my way there :lol: First one ever!!! :eek: But thats alright, I actually found it kind of funny - the cop was really nice... I was doing 20KM over the limit! Oops... But, I did slowdown and you didn't see me speed after that moment! ;)

nelie
10-14-2004, 01:38 AM
Ok so tomorrow I have a major homework assignment due for class and I had given myself an excuse to not exercise tonight. This morning I had planned to go to a step class but because it has been a few years since I've been to a step class, it was fairly easy to talk myself out of it. Anyway, I had made some major progress on my homework assignment, enough that I could've actually gone to the step class or to the gym for that matter, but I had already given myself an excuse. SO! I ended up talking myself into going to the gym and doing some cardio. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical with 1 minute of high intensity intervals for every 2 minutes of normal pace. I then did 18 minutes on the exercise bike to cool myself down from doing the elliptical. My legs were so wobbly when I was done. So 48 minutes total cardio for today and over 600 calories burned if you believe the calorie counters on the equipment.

Jen
10-14-2004, 03:19 PM
I did 40 minutes of cardio (elliptical machine and treadmill) and a really good weight program.

teapotdynamo
10-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Meh. Did 30 minutes of weights then 40 minutes of cardio (cross trainer and 10 on the StairMaster). I'm frustrated because I keep plugging away but see noooo movement on the scale this week (actually, I gained a pound but am not changing my sig because I *know* it's all TOM water weight... I've been scrupulously on plan!). I will not be daunted!

(p.s. Tonight was about the MILLIONTH TIME i've been approached by one of the trainers in our gym. I usually go in the morning but have been going at night this week, and it's like a swarm! I think they see people who are dedicated--and fat--and think, "hey, potential new client!" Either that or they're hitting on me, and I'm fairly certain it's the former. :lol: Does this happen to anyone else or is it a New York phenomenon?)

nelie
10-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Jennifer, you know I am bad and weigh every day and my weight fluctuates throughout the week, but I never change my sig for the fluctuations.

As far as personal trainers, I have had a few that have tried to recruit me but I have one in particular that keeps asking me. I don't really mind it and I know what I'm doing so I don't think I need a personal trainer. I'm about to go to the gym right now so I'll report back on what I did. So far I've only played basketball today.

nelie
10-15-2004, 01:48 AM
Ok update! I went to the gym, did 60 minutes of weight training, legs. My legs felt super wobbly afterwards.

Ivanna B. Skinny
10-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Hello Ladies! TGIF!!!

35 on the elliptical last night. Arms and abs, too. So far I've been to the gym every day this week! I've shocked myself!

nelie
10-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Congratulations Amy! Maybe you can officially title yourself a "gym rat", I think I have earned that title myself ;)

heather_dw
10-16-2004, 03:54 AM
Ok, after skipping another day,.. hubby came home from work sick, so i had to baby him and then i started feeling yucky too so i didnt get any in yesterday but did a mile with leslie today,.. i have a sinking feeling that if i had a scale, the number would be going up and not down :(

teapotdynamo
10-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Took yesterday as my one day off, but just got back. Did 30 on the StairMaster again, then 10 on the elliptical to cool down. Didn't have a full weight day, but tried a few of the machines I'd never used before and did some curls for good measure.

Boy, I feel so much better--more alert, nimble, all around more "with it"--when I exercise! I may go back to a full 7 day/week schedule.

nelie
10-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Yesterday, I took an unexpected break from exercising. I went to an early dinner with a friend and ended up closing out the place because we were busy talking. Anyway, the gym was closed when I left so I ended up doing a short cardio dvd last night before bed (20 minutes). This morning I did 35 minutes of yoga that was kicking my butt but I really really liked it. If anyone is looking for a good yoga dvd set, Yoga journal has a 3 dvd beginners set which has sections that describe each pose in depth and how to modify them. Hopefully I won't get in trouble for posting an amazon link but ! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001DMXEW/ If you want to read about it and reviews. You can also buy each seperately.

I'm also going to go to the gym shortly and probably doing some yoga later tonight as well.

oldwriter
10-17-2004, 09:48 PM
:coffee: Just started back on my Tae BO. Love it but couldn't do much of it.
Will be able to do more each day.
Too belly heavy to do kicks properly and got a :dancer: sore knee & bad ankle.
Gives you such a good feeling tho.