South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 05:03 PM   #1  

Default Carbphobic? Pfft!

I just saw a commercial for "Dreamfields Pasta" and the speaker says: "Carbphobic? Try Dreamfields pasta only 5 grams blah blah blah..." Ummm, hello? Carbphobic? I resent that! Not PHOBIC!! We're not afraid of carbs!! (Has a vision of a giant stick of french bread with fangs chasing me around my kitchen). lol We're just well-informed and in touch with how our bodies react to certain foods -- not AFRAID of food! Just setting the record straight!! (Even if I am preaching to the choir...)

Old 10-07-2004, 05:16 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

But the choir seldom listens to the preacher! Stupid low carb craze!
Old 10-07-2004, 05:48 PM   #3  
Almost 20 lbs gone 4ever!

I get negative feedback constantly re: SBD. Folks who say, I could NEVER cut out entire food groups, or MY DOCTOR said I can eat whatever I want as long as it's in moderation!! I want to say "That's great for you. Why don't you do what works for you and I'll do what works for me?" There seems to be a huge backlash against those who watch their carbs -- and maybe this is psychoanalysing it a bit -- but it's as if these people don't appreciate our enlightenment and awareness of certian foods highlighting their bad food choices. Like they should be sreaming "LEAVE ME AND MY BAKED POTATO ALONE!" For so long they were told that it was a health food and if someone were to prove otherwise, they are just disturbing a perfectly good food. Anyway, I say, hey, have your baked potato, just don't patronize me for passing.

If I had a sugar free popsicle for everytime my mother-in-law puts down this eating plan I would be in heaven. The funniest part was when she stayed with us last weekend and brought home a HUGE chunk of carrot cake to eat all the next day, all the while trying to get her son to have some too. Uhhhh, weren't you also the one completely HAZING him for wearing a 40 waist tux at the wedding? GEEZ!

OK, that's my rant for the day -- who knew!?

lauren
Old 10-07-2004, 06:03 PM   #4  
We are all Beautiful!!!

High carb foods drive the multi billion dollar food industry. They are cheap to make and sell for high prices and high profits. Meat, Fish and Veggies, wholesale to retail value isn't as high as high carb foods. Keebler cookie company here in my hometown has had most of their shifts on PT for 3 years because of the low carb craze.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:03 AM   #5  

Lauren, I hear that, sister! I absolutely do not understand anyone that would give someone a hard time about his/her weight, then try to "tempt that person off" a diet that is working for them. That blows my mind. Luckily you and your husband support each other.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:22 AM   #6  
There is no try, only DO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryss
I absolutely do not understand anyone that would give someone a hard time about his/her weight, then try to "tempt that person off" a diet that is working for them.
It's fear. People don't like change. Plus, when you completely change your eating habits for the BETTER, it makes them look at their own habits. Sometimes that's not an easy thing to accept, and can in turn become a bit of resentment. If you get "tempted" back to the old ways they can justify it to themselves.. "see.. it didn't work, now I'm not wrong". Then there's also the ppl who feel better about themselves if they have someone else they can pick on for something

Even my DH, wonderful and supportive as he is, has come home the last 3 days with iced coffee for me. I can see the lump of sugar in the bottom of the cup and refuse to drink it. He gets a little upset that he has to drink them both.. but hey, just because he "selectively chooses" to forget my WOE when buying coffee doesn't mean I'm giving in. Eventually he'll either stop buying me coffee in the morning, or, he'll bring it home sugar free and I can add my own splenda. This is too important to me to give in.

He's also a little upset that I won't go visit his grandparents with him before they leave for Florida. PFFFT.. yeah, sure. Let's go see the b#%!* who critisizes me for everything under the sun, especially my weight, but will be all mad if I refuse to eat 3 plates of her pasta (Italian family). They absolutely would NOT understand SBD. So, I'll stay home, he and the kids can go visit and stuff themselves silly. I know it's hard for him to accept sometimes, but my life CAN'T revolve around eating crap anymore.

The point I'm getting to is this: to **** with everyone else, do what's right for you! They'll come around eventually.

Heather
Old 10-08-2004, 08:42 AM   #7  

I'm afraid that as well-meaning as Dr. Atkins may have been, when people hear SB's Good Carbs, they take it as meaning No-Carbs. The Atkins' Diet severely limited the carbs, and I'm afraid we are "guilty by association". The people that demean SB have obviously NOT read the book.

My mother (a retired doctor) was upset when I first started dieting via the Atkins' Diet. She went out and bought me the SB book. After reading the first chapter I changed to SB immediately. I'm so glad I did!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 09:08 AM   #8  

Hmmm, I think I am a little bit afraid of carbs, lol!
Old 10-09-2004, 04:06 PM   #9  

When I track my food on fitday I can't help noticing how many carbs are in my vegetables, nuts and beans, but at least they fill me up. So SB Diet really contains a lot of carbohydrates but they are healthy ones and probably in the proportion that you are meant to eat them. I have had a couple of weekends away with friends lately where they have provided white bread, mac cheese, pizza, biscuits and chips and I notice you are really hungry at the next meal and that you actually don't eat a lot of protein so I wonder if you are getting all the nutrients that you really need.

My daughter had to do a food diary for a couple of days this week for her homework and she was bordering on not getting enough protein/dairy. It was only that she had peanut butter sandwhiches that she got her minimum requirement of protein foods because the toast, sandwhich and fruit (which they really push eating) filled her up enough. And I don't serve starches at dinner time anymore so most kids would be getting less meat and more starch than she is.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:06 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I hear you chicks (and I love the image of a baguette with fangs chasing me around the kitchen! ).

The wacko nutritionist I saw a couple months ago insisted that though I was eating, on her approximation, 120 carbs a day, that I was on a low carb diet. I figure, since Atkins people are eating less than 30, that 120 is definitely not low.

My slight pet peeve is that people always act like if they eat or display something I don't want to have in front of me, it will drive me into a feeding frenzy. I appreciate they they are trying to be sensitive, but I hate the implication that I'm only holding on to this WOE by the skin of my teeth. My mom yesterday even chastised my sister for lighting a gingerbread scented candle because she was afraid it would set me off. Oy! Good thing this baguette keeps chasing me around or I might have had to eat the candle!
Old 10-12-2004, 04:21 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal
My mom yesterday even chastised my sister for lighting a gingerbread scented candle because she was afraid it would set me off. Oy! Good thing this baguette keeps chasing me around or I might have had to eat the candle!

Laurie, I really need that laugh today! Thank you!
<HUGS>
Old 10-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

No problem, Kryss! And here's a hug, too! So sorry you are having a tough day!

Want me to light a Hazelnut cream candle? I have two spoons...
Old 10-12-2004, 04:29 PM   #13  

You're the best!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:01 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Laurie, 120 carbs a day or so, compared to the normal american diet is low carb It obviously isn't Atkins like and even when I was doing my own low carb thing, I believe I was eating above 30 carbs a day but less than 100.

Also, I would find the idea that we are on the verge of binging on carbs quite laughable. Sure I see things and think "hmm I did enjoy that at one time and I know it tastes good" but I know in order to lose weight that I can't indulge in every thing that passes my way.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:16 PM   #15  
Conquering with SBD

You have all made comments that I have heard over and over before. They range from the people who try to sabotage your weight loss program by buying and continually offering off program foods - like the carrot cake incident, often accompnaied by 'just one won't hurt' - or people who take the other stance - afraid lighting a gingerbread candle will set of an eating frenzy. However, there is a happy medium in there somewhere, isn't there?

I have just decided that I will only discuss this diet with people who are really, truly interested, and inform only the people who I really, truly trust will support my efforts. Consequently, I don't discuss SBD until I am really sure that the discussion will not, at some point, affect me, my weightloss efforts and my goal to be a healthier me. Selfish...you bet. But it works, and there are no regrets.

By the way MY DOCTOR told me to cut carbs and sugar out of my diet. He also told me that the carbs and sugar that our adolescents and children are eating are contributing to the obese society that we see today because they are easy to make and taste good, too. Sooooo, for that piece of advice from him, I started to do my research on the reason that carbs are unhealthy and settled on SBD to bring more balance into my WOE.

As an added noted, I went to a wedding this past Saturday. The friends that we met there were not and still are not aware that I am on any kind of diet. My plate was fully of food, I was thoroughly stuffed when I left the reception, and noone noticed that I did not have baked potato, baked beans, cole slaw, carrots, etc. I just served myself OP foods. Noone is the wiser and I did not have to listen to the negative comments that may have been offered.

Last edited by sweet tooth; 10-12-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Closed Thread