Old 10-06-2004, 12:43 AM   #1  
30 lost, 55 to go!

Default How many calories?

Hello everyone. I have a question regarding counting calories. I am doing a diet in the Reader's Digest magazine called Change One. Basically it just helps you spread out your calories over the day instead of eating them all at once in the evening (which I tend to do). I'm also following the Canada Food Guide to make sure I get enough of each basic food group.

In the past, I've always dieted by limiting myself to 1300 calories/day. But, I just used the Calorie calculator on this site, and it tells me I need 2421 calories a day to maintain my weight, & to reduce this by 500 calories to try & lose weight.

That means I would be taking in around 1900 calories/day. It seems like a lot to me. Have I been doing it wrong by limiting myself to 1300/day all this time? That could explain why it was too hard to do, lol.

Any thoughts on this? Does 1900 calories a day seem like too much? Thanks for your input!
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:20 AM   #2  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Jodee, Welcome! I'm not familiar with the diet you're following, or the Canada Food Guide, but I will say that I don't think 1900 calories sounds like too much. You have to make sure you're eating enough, as well as healthy, otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto whatever you have stored. Make sense? Also, what I feel is most important, is make sure you're drinking enough water!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:13 PM   #3  
No description available.

Welcome, WW! I agree with Lauren 100%. If you are eating too few kcal, then your body will not burn any but will store them. I was surprised by how many calories I actually needed to maintain...go for the 1900 kcal...the weight will come off at a steady rate.
Jen
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:50 PM   #4  
30 lost, 55 to go!

Thanks for the comments. I was really worried that 1900 was way too much, but I'm going to give it a try. I think you guys are right, at 1300 I was depriving myself of needed calories & energy, which is why no weight would come off. Thanks, that really makes sense now.

The diet I am on really doesn't tell you what to eat, just helps you spread out the calories over the course of the day so that you don't eat all your calories at 8:00 at night. So, to make sure I get the right kinds of food, I'm just referring to the Canada Food Guide that our government puts out to our Health Institutions. It tells you about the food groups & how much of each an adult needs a day (so I get my 5 veggies or fruits a day, enough grains, enough dairy, protein, fats, etc).

Yikes, this is a really big change! I'm up for it though!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:49 PM   #5  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

Jodee,

I only know WW and the point system. The more you weigh the more points you get for the day. There is a range you are supposed to stay in. A lot of people have trouble loosing if they stay at the bottom of the range.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:24 AM   #6  
30 lost, 55 to go!

Red face Thanks

Thanks Karen. I'm going to heed the advice. Although I didn't do too great a job today. It was my first full day on the diet, and I only ate 1302 calories. I'm not sure what I did wrong, I guess I didnt' eat a proper lunch because I had physio today. I am proud to say that I got up & had breakfast. However, it's too late at night to try and stuff in a few hundred more calories. It's kind of funny, my problem is being overweight, and my problem is I'm not eating enough. It's kind of funny when you think about it. At least I stuck to good healthy foods. Grocery shopped and I'm all stocked up with fruits & veggies. Not a potato chip to be seen, as they are always my downfall.

Sigh, I'll do better tomorrow.