General Diet Plans and Questions - Body for Life #3

View Full Version : Body for Life #3

susanje
04-29-2001, 12:10 PM
Starting a New Thread. Will Bring BFL Information to the new ones so that anyone looking for info can access it easily.

General Body for Life Information

Must Have: Body for Life book by Bill Phillips

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details): six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist/palm method of measurement. 2 meals a day add green veggies. 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks and/or Bars on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes and Bars (Shakes are better IMHO). Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Supplements optional: many but many BFLers take creatine

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 45-60 minutes intense weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days. 20 minutes intense cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

susanje
04-29-2001, 12:11 PM
Body for life Links

http://*************.com/group/bodyforlife

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifeplus
(for plus women)

http://www.hussman.com/eas/

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

http://www.leanandstrong.com/

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifewomensclub
(for women)

http://www.eas.com

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlife

http://www.bflrecipes.bigstep.com

http://www.bflsupport.com

http://www.gymamerica.com/gti/exercise/exercise_animated_demo_index/
(Thanks Christie!)

http://www.planetkc.com/exrx/Lists/Directory.html

http://bodybuilding.about.com/recreation/bodybuilding/?once=true&

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/BootCamp.asp
(AB BOOTCAMP!!!)

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
(HIIT)

MrsJim
04-29-2001, 12:31 PM
Today was supposed to be my 'rest day'/'free day' but it was so gorgeous this morning, that I hotfooted it over to the gym for a very light 35 minute workout on the EFX...

Got on the scale and I'm down to 155 1/2! I haven't had the courage to weigh myself for a few weeks so I'm pleased as punch to see those numbers go down. Just makes me want to keep up the program...

I just told Jim that today was my 'free day' so we're going to go out for breakfast - Even though I have the freedom today to eat whatever I want, I'm going to attempt to maintain SOME self-control!

We went to a party in San Francisco last night and I was up pretty late - Jim's a bassist and was jamming with the band. After my workout yesterday, I had to go back to bed due to a sick migraine (I always get one at TOM) and slept until 5 p.m. I feel okay now though - we're planning on riding our bikes over by Crystal Springs today after breakfast!

Take care!

susanje
04-29-2001, 12:47 PM
Hi Mrs. Jim,

Did you read my reply to your bathing suit post in the last thread? Too funny! :lol:

Last week I did cardio on my free day and felt wiped out by Friday. I've wondered if the free day cardio did me in...let me know how you do this week!!!!

I too get headaches at TOM (right now, which also could be responsible for my poor performance during Friday's cardio)........

The party sounds fun. I used to date a guitarist/bassist and I know how that jamming thing goes. :D

It is a beautiful day in the Bay Area.......and I'm going to take my bike (motorcycle) for a run this afternoon.

Free Day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am also going to try to eat moderately indulgent today.........and keep drinking my water......without the water, Mondays are BRUTAL!!!!!!!!

How is everyone else doing?????????
Susan

MrsJim
04-29-2001, 02:04 PM
Yes! I DID see your bathing suit post!

I'm a BIG fan of catalog/online clothes shopping - don't like hitting the malls too much (crowds and time factor). Lands End and LL Bean are my faves.

Good idea about the water, I'm getting a big glass right now!

Take care...

jenjen
04-29-2001, 02:27 PM
Hi all. Wow! Y'all are really busy on a Sunday morning.

I enjoyed my free day. I know I ate way too much & enjoyed a couple of beers. I did go walking & walked about 2 miles. My body just couldn't stand not getting a little exercise.

I did my UBWO this morning. I'm already feeling it in my shoulders. I'm hoping starting on a Sunday will make it easier on me for the rest of the week.

Susan & Mrs. Jim, Sounds like both of you are doing great.

Frosty & Christy, How are y'all doing?

I'm gearing up for my final presentations & papers for school. I'll be so relieved by this time next week!

Have a great week everyone!

susanje
04-29-2001, 09:27 PM
HI Jen,

I have considered switching my free day to Saturday. Maybe when I'm off this summer it will move around.
I, too, am almost done with school but I have a week of review and 2 weeks of finals. yeech.

I'm not doing too bad this free day. In fact I went to a small gathering and they had a buffet and I found myself doing veggies and dip all afternoon instead of the really high calorie stuff. Oh well. Tonight I have sorbet and that I just love. I've been craving it for about 3 days now!!! :D

Susan

islandmama
04-30-2001, 09:44 AM
Except I will be a bit more muscular. I cut and pasted my face on this models body... and it is such an inspiration! I put this as the background on my computer, and printed it out and put it up on my fride! I love it!!!
Christy

MrsJim
04-30-2001, 04:27 PM
Okay, I went a little nuts on my "free day" yesterday...

First off, I was supposed to rest but my old inner alarm clock went off at 6:15 a.m. (after going to bed at 1:00 a.m. but since I spent the entire day on Saturday sleeping off a migraine I felt pretty rested). So of COURSE I got up, got dressed and did a very light (for me) 40 minute workout on the EFX at the gym!

Also, yesterday was such a lovely day that Jim and I bicycled up Canada Road through Woodside for about two hours before I started bonking. However, first we went out for breakfast where I ordered two scrambled eggs, two slices of toast and hashbrowns (along with lots of water). I could only eat 1/2 my hashbrowns but Jim finished them off for me!

I did go a bit nuts later on as well, had some Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt, a couple of small pieces of garlic bread and some oven-baked steak fries.

Last night (for the first time since starting the Challenge) I wrote down my planned menus for today right after writing down my planned workout for this morning, which was lower body (I'm just following what pops up on the EAS Training Zone site).

The neat thing about the "free day" is that this morning I felt motivated to begin again! It's great to have that free day to look forward to!

Take care...

jenjen
04-30-2001, 07:43 PM
Hi everyone.

Susan, I think I did better with Saturday being my free day. I'll be so glad when school is over & I don't have to have everything ready the next day before I go to bed. I always have the meat cooked, but I hate packing up a whole days meals.

Christy, I love the idea of putting your head on the body you want. What visualization! I just haven't found a good picture for me to do that with just yet....I'm going to keep looking. I keep "before" pictures posted on the fridge so I have to see them everytime I open the door. I keep telling myself, "I'm NOT going back there!"

Mrs. Jim, I think you did great for a free day. I usually consume lots more than that. Plus, all the exercise you get in. Wow! I am impressed. I agree about being refreshed to start the next week though. I'm already thinking about my next free day. I'm planning on crawfish & beer!

Next week is going to be a tough one for me foodwise. I think there will be lots of celebrating going on. Several people have told me they want to take me out and all I can think about is, how is this going to fit into the program? UGH!!!

So far this week (Day 2 for me) is going well. I'm not getting the full 6 meals in though. I usually get 4-5 meals in. I get in all the water though. Just something to keep working towards.

Have a great evening everyone.

susanje
04-30-2001, 11:36 PM
Hi Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

Jen--I hate packing a full days meals as well...what a pain! I will do better when I'm at home. My days are very long and I have to take 4 or 5 meals with me each day. YUCCH.

Mrs Jim--your free day does not sound bad. I do believe that the free day keeps you motivated because you begin fresh every single week. I also know that if I don't eat clean during the week, I haven't earned that free day! I LOVE the free day but I LOVE when it's over!!!!

I did okay today but I liked my orange at lunch a whole lot more than my chicken. I could eat just oranges. I am not a good protein eater. :( but I do it.

I'm doing a LATE night at the gym tonight due to a 12 hour day at school. I'll be going to 24 hour fitness in a couple of hours.

Susan

MrsJim
05-01-2001, 07:06 PM
...feeling just totally terrific today! :cool: Had a great workout this morning - did my 20 minute cardio then spent another 40 at a much easier pace. I always do a couple of sets of abs on cardio days as well.

Here's something I cannot believe -

A new gal just moved into the workstation next door to mine...I always hear her chatting with her friends about weight loss, WW, etc etc (we have a pretty active WW at Work program here) and giving weight loss advice to them... She looks to be about 30 or so pounds overweight...

So...you can imagine my surprise when I walked by her workstation and saw...at least FOUR big candy jars filled with Reese's Cups, Hershey Miniatures, Tootsie Roll Pops, etc!!! :eek:

I believe that one of the top reasons that so many of us working gals pack on the pounds are those jars of candy (as well as the goodies brought in) that people leave on their desks/workstations with a big "HELP YOURSELF" sign attached!! As a rule, I don't keep candy or food at my desk - not only for my sake but my boss' as well - she's doing so great on her weight loss I don't want her to blow it!

But - can you BELIEVE? Trying to lose weight while keeping candy readily available - like being an alcoholic and working at a liquor store, at least IMHO!

jenjen
05-01-2001, 07:17 PM
Susan, Good for you for still going to the gym. I have to admit, I haven't been doing great getting the workouts in. All this last minute school stuff is just killing me!

Mrs. Jim, I had this conversation at work today. It was one of my coworker's birthday & they had all this food! I ate a little as I was so hungry, but really wished I hadn't. I don't keep food at work other than some protien bars & shakes for my snacks. I can do pretty good staying out of the candy most of the time....just some days.

Well, my presentation calls! Have a great evening & rest of the week.

MrsJim
05-01-2001, 08:09 PM
...well, I could put them in the kitchen on our floor but that's just a wee bit too close for me...

What I usually do with any leftover meeting delectables, candy or cookies (I got a big tin of English biscuits sent to me from the hotel in London our meeting was at a couple of weeks ago as a thank-you gift) is send them right down to the mail room! Coincidentally hubby Jim works down there...and generously shares any goodies with his team members. I figure, hey, they're doing physical labor - they'll burn off the calories faster than I would just sitting on my butt in front of the computer!

Also, yesterday I bit the bullet and ordered a 42 serving box of Myoplex Lite and a 30-serving container of Betagen from www.saveonsupplements.com - great prices there... I also won a case of 24 ready to drink cans of Myoplex on eBay for a mere $36.00 plus shipping last week. I'm still using the Lean Body for Her bars and shakes that I have left until I get my Myoplex.

islandmama
05-02-2001, 01:29 AM
They have 16grams of sugar per can. It isn't as bad as something like Slimfast, but still too much sugar in my opinion. I treat them like I do Bars. I only eat them when I have too, or when out, or when there is no better choice. They will be helpful when in a bind or when you are out and about, though. I just don't suggest using them on a daily bases. Too much sugar spikes the insulin levels in your body, which in turn promotes fat storage. Or you can use them for your after weight training meal, when you need that high glycemic carb to replenish your muscles and such. But that is only time I suggest using them.
You can also go to www.eas.com and look up any product, and then click on 'nutritional info.' and it will give you a list of the nutritional value in any product.
Christy

MrsJim
05-02-2001, 10:25 AM
I bought them mostly for convenience - I don't have access to a blender at work and have a tendency to get powder all over the place when I use a shaker!!! Now I think I'll keep 'em at home and use 'em after my workout.

There's a guy I work near who's also doing BFL (don't know for sure if he's signed up for the Challenge - he looks pretty buff already to me!). Instead of using Myoplex, he buys Designer Protein at Trader Joe's and makes a paper funnel to get all the powder into his shaker bottle without too much spillage.

16 grams of sugar is a lot but I agree not nearly as much as a Slim Fast. I still maintain that a SlimFast is equivilant to drinking Ovaltine... :)

Had a great upper bod workout today - cut the weight down and concentrated on FORM and doing the exercises slowly and carefully. As a result it took me 51 minutes to complete the circuit but I really feel much more worked...

susanje
05-02-2001, 10:36 AM
Nah..Ovaltine tastes much better!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Myoplex does shake up badly without a blender. I have done the ready to drink ones when I "must"...but I'm not a big fan of them or the bars...just on taste alone...but I use em when I must. If you add some ff/sf instant jello, they taste much better.

I had a decent ubwo yesterday but the men at the gym are good some days and idiots the other days. Yesterday I added a 5 lb weight to one exercise for my eights, took it up a notch to six (thus removing the 5 lb weight) but needing it for the drop set of 12s and some guy just comes along and swipes it. Another guy asked me "how long" I was going to be. I said "As long as it takes me." I HATE THAT

I wanted to throw a barbell. I hate losing my focus like that....I did pretty good overall though...added 2 shoulder routines and that felt right to me. There were areas that doing chest and back didn't seem to be covering.

Up until very recently (3 years ago) I never had upper body fat. I hate it!!!!!!

Susan

jenjen
05-04-2001, 12:54 AM
Hi all. Just a quick note.

I really have gone off track this week. I have eaten okay, but just haven't made the time to exercise. My last day of class is Saturday, so after that I will refocus. If I wasn't such a procrastinator & think I would have been able to do it all.

Oh well. I'm still doing better than I did 2 years ago. To me, that's what really matters.

Hope y'all have a great Friday. I'll try to check in Sunday or Monday.

By the way.... I LOVE OVALTINE!!! Haven't had it in ages, but just thinking of it, I can taste it!

susanje
05-04-2001, 02:09 AM
Jen,

Today was the last day of class (finals begin Monday) and I have been stressed all week. The profs threw a few parties and had food delivered and catered. I had NO plan to indulge but when I opened my lunch...my container had opened and my fresh strawberries and chicken was a matted mess. I had a hamburger at that point and later on 2 chocolate chip cookies and a latte. Some women who know I've been watching what I eat and have been INCREDULOUS that I never indulge in sweets were giving me a hard time about it. I felt awful too!!!!!!!! It was the first time in 9 weeks (6 official and 3 unofficial) that I had unauthorized food on a nonFree Day.

BUT my home elliptical came tonight and I hope we can put it together this weekend. I need it. I can't wait til this school stuff is OVER.
Hang in there! As will I!
Susan

MrsJim
05-04-2001, 02:29 PM
I'd give myself an A+ for workouts and a B for eating.

My problem has always been night eating - I'm as good as **GOLD** during the day but it's really tough not to nibble a bit at night...grabbing handfuls of cereal or dipping a spoon into the cottage cheese...had to tell myself not to do that. After brushing my teeth and taking a long bath, those impulses to binge usually subside quite a bit. I've really been trying to work on that!

This weekend I'm going to try and pick up a blender for my shipment of Myoplex. I have a few envelopes and some bars of Lean Body for Her left - Lean Body mixes up pretty nicely in a shaker but I'm getting the impression that Myoplex isn't as easy! Besides, I like to add ice to mine to make it more like a milk shake.

Ovaltine - Jim loves the stuff...he's a chocolate milk addict! I don't keep it around the house but when we go out for breakfast he always has a big glass of chocolate milk with his pancakes and eggs... :eek:

I had a terrific morning - woke up at 4:00, at the gym by 4:45, did my lower body training, then 35 minutes of Spinning class...rushed home because it was so gorgeous out Jim and I decided to bicycle in to work!! Yee haw!!

susanje
05-05-2001, 12:44 PM
HI Everyone,

Got back on track yesterday. Good food day and KILLER LBWO yesterday morning (I cannot walk today). Still haven't put the home elliptical together....hopefully by tomorrow.

A friend of mine is doing the Body Logix challenge. Very similar to BFL but instead of a free day every week, they alternate free day and free meal. One week it's a free day, all day. The next week it's just one big giant free meal. Maybe after finals I'll switch to this system so the free day doesn't make me sick.

How is everyone?

Beautiful day in California....hope the rest of you are enjoying beautiful weather!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to hit the books so my ability to enjoy it is fairly limited. :(

Susan

MrsJim
05-05-2001, 02:56 PM
Since today is Cinco de Mayo, I'd love to go out to Mexican food - I mean the combo-platter refried beans and rice with a taco and a margarita on the side with plenty of chips style - NOT the whole beans and rice with salsa on a whole wheat tortilla type...
but I'm saving that for tomorrow...my FREE DAY!! Yipee!! Generally I would never order the combo platter - usually I'd get the basic healthy burrito or a salad with whole beans on the side.

I'm trying to structure my free days to keep myself from having what I'd call "12 hours of free-for-all grazing" and just focus on having a couple of special meals or treats...making sure I drink a lot of water and stay active all day and out of the kitchen (tough to do since my home office is located there)...

So tomorrow, my special free day treat (I hope) will be some REALLY good Mexican food...I really like the free day...gives you something to look forward to once a week!!

Take care - like Susan says, it's WAY too nice in the Bay Area to stay indoors for long so I'm outa here pretty quick!

MrsJim
05-06-2001, 12:13 PM
Down to 154 today...I'm a happy gal indeed! :)

It's supposed to be in the 80's today so I am going to be spending a lot of time outdoors...

Jim and I just lucked into getting 3 nights in July at Yosemite Lodge (unheard of since that is the most popular time there) since a group cancelled a block of rooms for that week right before I called the reservations desk to find out about October (as you may know, Jim and I were married in Yosemite and wanted to spend our third anniversary there this year). Only problem is - that's the last few days of the BFL challenge - I will miss two days of working out at the gym but I have to admit it will be worth it to go to Yosemite in July! See ya!

Punky
05-06-2001, 07:36 PM
Is Body for life and fit for life the same thing? Or by the same author? I just picked up fit for life and a yardsale and was just curious.

Brenda

islandmama
05-06-2001, 11:52 PM
-That is so awesome Mrs. Jim!!! You know that you have lost another pound and a half of BODY WEIGHT, but you have undoubtably lost more bodyFAT than that since you are building some muscle there too. That is really GREAT- keep it up. And for goodness sakes, enjoy your mini-vacation!!! I am sure (with your outdoorsy attitude) you will find other active fun things to do!

-Punky-- no it is not the same. Body for Life (aka-BFL) is a weight training program written by Bill Phillips. You can find his book online at Amazon.com , or any bookstore. It is an AWESOME program, and you can find out more about at www.bodyforlife.com ! We would love to help you out if you decide to try it out. You do weight training routines 3x a week for about 45 minutes alternating upper body one day, with lower body on the next weight training day. On off days, you do 20 minutes of INTENSE interval cardio first thing in the morning on an empy stomache. You also eat 5-6 small mini-meals a day, which keeps your metabolism roaring all day long, and prevents you from ever feeling hungry.
You can also take supplemnets, like meal replacement shakes 2-3 times a day, or even once, to help you reach all 5-6 meals. No slimfast or anything like that though. WAY too much sugar (which turns into fat anyway!). There are other supplements you can take too, but you don't have too. I take Glutamine, which helps with soreness, muscle recovery, and boosts the immune system. I also use shakes, Myoples lite, and Met-rx. And, I take Hydroxycut. A thermogenic with a Caffine/Ephedra/Aspirin stack. Many don't like to take these because of the ephadra, and the bad new about them, but I researched them myself, started out slow, and have no undesired effects from them. But then again, I have no contra-indication for taking them (no heart problems, etc.).
Well, that's about it, unless you have other questions. Feel free to ask anything!

EVERYONE ELSE- I am down to 186! Yes! That is a total of 24 pounds since I started trying to lose weight, and a total of 14 pounds since I officially entered the challenge. I love it!

Christy

susanje
05-07-2001, 02:21 AM
Hi Punky,

No Body for Life is different. I think I also have the fit for life book (what don't I have????????) :lol:

mrs jim: GREAT NEWS on the Yosemite Lodge! I'm a city girl myself but I have heard from friends that it is a wonderful place.

Christy: Good to hear from you!

Everyone is doing so WELL!!! My elliptical is put together (hubby moaned but I can whine louder) so now i can do my cardio in the morning. I'm so psyched!!!!

:)

Doing the finals lunacy...24 hour final tomorrow...not looking forward to it.

:(

Coming into week 7--more than halfway!

Have a good week!
Susan

MrsJim
05-07-2001, 10:35 AM
I'm really thrilled - I went a bit nuts yesterday on my 'free day' but not as much as I could have. We did have a big Mexican dinner yesterday. It was so much fun ordering whatever I wanted for a change - haven't done that in I don't know how long! Knowing that I was going to be back on track today helped a lot...

When I saw "Fit for Life" mentioned I just had to chuckle to myself. I tried that a looong time ago. I don't remember an exercise component in it at all, unlike BFL.

After our bike ride yesterday Jim and I went to hang out with a friend of ours who owns a small bike shop - he commented on how good I was looking :) and asked what I was doing. I explained a little bit of the BFL program and right off the bat he said it was way too much work for him! It's hard for me to fathom how many people just don't care for exercise at all.

Back on "Fit for Life" - I couldn't resist quoting Michael Fumento in "The Fat of the Land" under his chapter "The Profiteers":

"Food combining is a fad that is still with us. It says that foods eaten in different combinations can somehow fool the body into absorbing fewer calories than the individual foods contain. The king of these fads is Harvey and Marilyn Diamond's Fit for Life...In it the authors propose that it does not so much matter what you eat, but when you eat it and in what combination foods are consumed. Their plan includes recommendations such as not eating anything but fruit before noon, and never eating protein at the same time as carbohydrates. (And while you're at it, don't have sex during the full moon, else you conceive a child who becomes a werewolf.) The Diamonds offere nothing but ancedotal evidence to support their claims. "It would be difficult to choose the most ridiculous diet book ever written," wrote Dr. Stephen Barrett and the editors of Consumer Reports in their book 'Health Schemes, Scams, and Frauds', "but surely Fit for Life...would be right up there." William Jarvis, president of the National Council Against Health Fraud, clearly agreed, saying "Fit for Life seems unprecedented in the amount of misinformation contained."...

"C. Wayne Callaway, M.D...in his book 'The Callaway Diet' relates that when he met the Diamonds in a TV debate "they seemed to view me as one of the most despicable creatures known to man: a medical expert." Callaway asks, "But where are the Diamonds now?...How many of your friends are marveling about the way Fit for Life has given them great results?" I'll tell you where the Diamonds are, Dr. Callaway. They're probably sunning themselves on their yacht, which ought to be called the S.S. Sucker, in loving memory of all those folks who bought their book."

I know that has nothing to do with BFL but I just love that last line!

Anyway, time to hit the shower!!! Later, all!

P.S. Susan - can't believe you've never been to Yosemite! It is just awesome...

susanje
05-07-2001, 06:28 PM
Mrs Jim,

I think your post hit on why I was so incensed when KRON4 Daybreak called Body for Life a "DIET CRAZE".

It was a good promo for people to tune in but I would NEVER call this a craze. A craze is eat 20 grapefruits a day or this soup or this drink or take this pill and lose weight without a lot of effort.

Body for Life is WORK. It's commitment mostly but it is also dedication and hard work. You don't get those results by doing a CRAZE. I'm not still sore from Friday's LBWO because I'm doing a CRAZE. This stuff is tough some days when I don't wanna. I think that is why the free day is such a blast (and such a good idea) because we earn it. We earn every single bloated free day.

I had fun on my free day also. I had junk junk junk. Got up this morning and had a GREAT workout on my new elliptical trainer (hard work!) and back into the week of BFLing. I find that if I drink water on Sunday and workout as soon as I get up on Monday, my free day hangover goes away much quicker.

Well, I've never been to Yosemite. I am not quite sure what people do in places like Yosemite. It's a defect from being born and raised in NYC. If I book a vacation, it is to NY or Chicago or Rome or Paris (used to be San Francisco, but I live here now!). I never think of the wilderness as a vacation spot unless I'm photographing. Hubba Hubby and I took a wonderful vacation to Vermont a couple of summers ago. We rode our Harleys up and photographed covered bridges. It was WONDERFUL. Maybe we should do that more often. It was incredibly beautiful and relaxing. We stayed in a bed and breakfast with skylights and a jacuzzi tub where they delivered breakfast to your door in a picnic basket. Hmmm...maybe I should rethink this vacation thing.

I do have a back home vacation planned for the end of July...3 days in Boston and 3 days in NYC. I can't wait. I hope to be buff by then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must return to my criminal law final....break is over!!!!!!!!

How is everyone doing?????????????????????
Susan

MrsJim
05-07-2001, 08:09 PM
I was really ticked off, because they started showing the promo for the segment at the top of the 5:00 a.m. news, then didn't show the segment until almost 7:00 a.m. - and then it was a mere 2 minutes long! :( I'm sure I wasn't the only PO'd person tuning in.

Not to mention that they really didn't have anything to say about it other than a few sound blurbs from trainers and gym rats. What a waste of time! All that time waiting for nothing.

I believe they're calling BFL a 'craze' (bad term there, I agree) because of its current popularity - if they used the word "fad" I would have really been ticked off.

Jeez, Susan, if you enjoy riding on Harleys and photography, you GOTTA go to Yosemite - the scenery is unbelievable and taking Highway 120 (Tioga Road) east through Tuoloume Meadows to Mono Lake is a blast!

http://www.yosemitepark.com/html/index.html

susanje
05-07-2001, 09:45 PM
Mrs Jim,

I know I passed signs for Yosemite when I moved out here but how far from here is there? We do want to do some riding this summer. Now I'm becoming terribly interested. :D

4 finals til summer (in the middle of one right now).

:)

Susan

MrsJim
05-08-2001, 04:16 PM
Totally unrelated to BFL unless you count the terrific exercise you'll get outdoors!

The official Yosemite link is in my last post...lots of info there...

There are a couple of routes from the Bay Area to Yosemite, via Hwy 120 and Hwy 140. We usually take the 140 but I asked Jim if he was on a motorcycle, which way would he go - he said the 120, which begins around Manteca and winds its way through Oakdale up to the Sierras. Try and get lodgings in Yosemite Valley itself if you can - even in the busy season (Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day) people are always cancelling and you should be able to at least get a tent cabin!

A great reference book that I recommend highly is "The Yosemite Handbook" by Phil Frank (if you read the San Francisco Chronicle, he's the cartoonist responsible for the "Farley" comic strip!). Lots of useful information, in a very entertaining format...good for both first-time visitors and old timers like myself!

Take care...

Frosty
05-08-2001, 10:12 PM
No, I haven't dropped off the face off the earth... I just have been swamped at work. Unfortunately, I have fallen totally off track over the past week. So...I am dusting off my pride, and picking up where I left off. Things are much more sane at work and I can recommit to my lifestyle plan.

Susan - good luck with your finals.

Mrs. Jim - you are doing so well! Keep up the good work.

Jen - how are things going for you this week?

Christy - 14 pounds gone forever - awesome!!

I look forward to catching up with you all!

jenjen
05-09-2001, 12:03 AM
Hi ladies. Sorry I haven't been around. I finished school Saturday. What a relief!

I made a decision over the past few days. I really like the BFL program, but I don't think I can follow it as strickly as a should, so I am adjusting it.

I am going to follow the exercise program because I really like that, but I am going back to counting calories & fat grams. Those 6 meals a day just make me nuts! I am at the point where the main thing I need is toning up. Yes, there's still fat to lose, but toning & strength should help take care of that. I hope y'all don't kick me out!

Sounds like y'all are doing great.

Susan, Good luck on finals. I know you'll feel great when you're done.

Mrs. Jim, All of your adventures make me want to get out more! I'm actually doing a hiking trip through Napa & Sonoma in September. I can't wait.

Christy, Congrats on the loss.

Frosty, Good to see you back. I know what you mean about being swamped.

Hope y'all have a great rest of the week.

blastit
05-09-2001, 10:11 AM
I have read Bill's book and I am seriously considering trying this.

How long has everyone been on this program? How long does the workout with weights generally take? Any information would be helpful.
Thanks,
Susan

susanje
05-09-2001, 11:18 AM
Hi Susan!

I read the book in mid February and started the food plan shortly afterwards. I experimented for a few weeks, trying to get used to it, figuring out how to best make my meals, get six meals in etc. I had started weight training (not BFL) about the first week of February (and had weight trained before) so about the second week of March, I started experimenting with the workouts. I was doing full body workouts and cardio on the same days (MWF) and workouts were taking me about 2 or more hours! So I had to start breaking it up the way the book suggests. I do Abs on my weight days (both lower body and upper body days) so I would say that the weight workouts take me about an hour. I take 20-25 minutes on the cardio days, no more no less. Sometimes I swim or hike or something for "light" cardio on some other day but I try to do it by the book. I officially started the Challenge March 26th. I'm in my 7th week and really starting to see results. My workouts suffered one week due to a gym change and this week due to finals but I've tried to do it as close as I can get it (to the book). I've never felt better and I'm starting to look much better (I noticed this week people are stopping me to tell me how good I look--most don't know I'm doing BFL--but it's really a great program!)

If you have ANY questions, keep posting! That is what we're here for!

Susan (too)
:D

susanje
05-09-2001, 11:24 AM
Mrs Jim,

Thank you for the Yosemite information! I bought a few books that I haven't gotten around to looking at for short rides (for motorcycle) in and around northern california so I'll add the Yosemite book to my list of required reading when I'm done with these dopey exams.

Crim final is over and done with, con law on Friday, contracts on Monday and constitutional law on Thursday and then I AM DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippee!!!!!!!

However, it is currently the longest week of my life.
Off to do cardio! (That 24 hour final screwed me up...I'm not even sure what workout day it is!)

Yesterday I rode my motorcycle into Berkeley, dropped off my exam, rode home and fell asleep. I had intended to go to the gym but did not make it. When I woke up from my nap I wondered where I was, what day it was........I was in bad shape. I want summer NOW.

Argggggh
Susan

blastit
05-09-2001, 12:58 PM
Susan,

Thanks for the info. When I read the book I get really excited about trying the program. I am targeting the first week in June as my start - sounds weird, but we are going on vacation to visit the in-laws and I know I won't get to workout - except for walking and TaeBo. I have heard of this program for a couple of years, but personally don't know anyone who has tried, so I thought I would check here. Currently I walk 1.5 miles a day and do TaeBo Basic. I just wanted to get some exercise. I have about 45 lbs to lose, but I want to be toned. Does any of this make sense? I think once I get started I will be posting here quite bit.

the other Susan

blastit
05-09-2001, 02:18 PM
Another question - does anyone use Myoplex (may not be spelled correctly)?

Thanks
Susan

MrsJim
05-09-2001, 02:56 PM
I just started using it today as a matter of fact. I'm doing like the book says, mixing it with Betagen.

Actually to clarify, I'm using the Lite version of Myoplex. I did have a few envelopes and bars of Lean Body for Her by Labrada but used them all up finally.

A guy here at work is also doing BFL - he uses Designer Protein which he purchases at Trader Joes. It's significantly cheaper but I don't know how it compares to Myoplex, which by the way I ordered from a place called www.saveonsupplements.com (great prices!).

Tastewise - not bad - had the Strawberry Creme today mixed with the Orange Betagen.

susanje
05-09-2001, 03:34 PM
I drink 2-3 shakes a day. I only like orange jubilee myoplex but I use met rx vanilla (usually 1/2 to 3/4 of a packet at a time, I cut back recently) or make my own smoothies with fresh/frozen fruit and soy protein. I sometimes mix my met rx with vanilla or chocolate sf/ff jello, just a spoonful or two thickens up a shake and gives it a nice flavor. I've also used Designer Protein Smootie mix (berry blast or something like that) which is also very good. I've also mixed a half a cup of coffee with my met rx shake and added a spoonful of sf cappucino mix for a good coffee flavored shake. Myoplex has a cappucino flavor but I haven't tried it yet.

The trick in picking out shake mixes to use is: good protein/carb ratio (if one is off, it should be the carb so you can add it, it's harder to add protein though you can do it if you keep powdered protein around) and LOW sugar content (NOTHING LIKE SLIMFAST). There are a lot of good shakes out there but your taste and preference might vary.

It's hard to get in six meals without shakes. I was trying to keep it to 2 shakes a day but find that I'm up to 3 (I think with finals here I'm simply too cranked to worry much about food so the shakes do it).

Susan
:D

MrsJim
05-09-2001, 07:17 PM
Am I the only one who has been having problems with the 3FC board today? I thought that us California folk were the only ones... :)

A few things that I've found terrific about BFL over the past 2 1/2 weeks since I started:

The BFL and EAS websites have SO MUCH free info and downloads - they are tremendous - especially the Daily Progress Report forms. I printed them off and made copies - then I go to the EAS site (when you sign up for the Challenge you can sign in to EAS' website and record your daily workouts - they even have the routines for each day!).
And I would definitely recommend checking some of those web links that Susan always posts at the top of the new threads!

You can get some really hot deals on the EAS products on eBay but so far, retail-wise, the best prices I have found are on www.saveonsupplements.com. If anyone else finds better prices anywhere do let us know! It's not required that you use the EAS products but to get in those 6 meals a day, meal replacement shakes DO make it much easier all around. I paid $56 for a box of 42 Myoplex Lite packets which comes to $1.33 per meal. Pretty cheap in my opinion!
As far as other message/chat boards, I've lurked on some of them but 3FC is still my all time fave!

susanje
05-10-2001, 12:03 PM
I'd love to get more Orange Jubilee (Myoplex lite) but that's the only flavor in the Tropical package that I like. I wish they would sell them separately. :( It's a nice change especially when I add some yummy strawberries.

Off to the gym for LBWO. I missed UBWO on Monday and thought about doing that instead but I am trying to just stick with my schedule and if I miss a workout then I miss whatever was scheduled for that day and not try to make it up. Besides my bottom is in worse shape than my top. :D

Susan

MrsJim
05-12-2001, 11:50 AM
...I'm feeling great - my arms are sore (not unbearably so) from yesterday's UBWO...

For the remaining 9 weeks, I've downloaded and printed copies of the progress reports, then written down the strength training routines, with the dates on top (not the planned weight to lift though - I write that in the night before). Each week, I'll pull out the three strength training routines for that particular week and put them on my refrigerator to grab on my way to the gym each morning!

My opinion is, if you want to truly succeed at losing weight in any case - not just BFL - it requires some advance planning, reading/researching, etc. When you're considering a weight-loss/fitness plan, don't just go blindly into it. Do some reading and research. Talk to people (on line or in person) about how they've done on the plan - preferably those who have done the plan in the past, or for more than a few weeks. Ask yourself "Can I stay on this plan for X amount of weeks? Will I be able to KEEP the weight off? Can I afford to do this?"

Let's face it, BFL isn't for everyone (though I would strongly encourage all to give it a look!), just like WW or other plans don't work for everyone. It's important to find a plan you can live with for an extended period of time!

The things that appealed to me about BFL were:

*The structure of the plan - I've lifted weights in the past, but didn't have an actual routine to make them more effective. I like the way BFL's weight training is set up and timed - it's fast paced and actually enjoyable!

*Even though I'm doing less cardio than in the past (where I would typically spend 80 minutes on the EFX, followed by 5 minutes on the treadmill and 10-15 minutes lifting weights, six or seven days a week, in addition to long hilly bike rides on the weekends) I find I'm getting more out of it. My typical BFL cardio workout day consists of doing the 20 minute solution (using a HRM to monitor my intensity), THEN doing a 40-minute easy 'jog' keeping my HR low (120-140 HR) just because I enjoy it...I still do my Friday Spin class but only after my strength training and usually only stay for the first 35 minutes (primarily because of my work schedule).

*Another great thing is the FREE DAY...can't say enough about it. It's kind of exciting to plan what I'm going to be eating on Sunday! In addition, Jim and I usually go cycling or are out and about, so it's not like I'm hanging around the house pigging out...I still don't know what I want tomorrow...we did Mexican last week...maybe Italian??

Well, gotta go - my Myoplex is ready! Later...

susanje
05-12-2001, 02:34 PM
Mrs. Jim:

You have hit the nail on the head. I love Free Day because it really helps to keep me honest the rest of the week. I hit a few bumps this week due to finals but every other week I have been 100% on my food due to my commitment to doing it one day at a time for six straight days...NOT SO BAD!!! Doing it in six day chunks really helps...doesn't make it seem interminable.

I also love the weight training because it gives results so quickly. The progressive sets with a drop set and super set at the end is genius. I have done weight training in the past and never really understood drop sets or super sets, let alone doing them together. The last 2 sets (with no rest inbetween) is KILLER. And in an hour I'm DONE. It's not like I'm spending a million hours at the gym.

I also like that after the first couple of weeks, the frequency of the meals really takes away your appetite and craving for junk. I really think that the small, frequent protein/carb combo meals give me incredible energy and I am not looking for food and/or junk. However, I was famished the first couple of weeks. Now that my body has adjusted, the opposite has happened, I have to MAKE myself eat.

I'm starting AB bootcamp the week after next. That should be interesting. My abs were the worst and are really starting to shape up but I think that adding bootcamp will be great.

When I start another BFL thread, can I take your last post with me? It's a good explanation of BFL for anyone thinking about it.

Off to study, study study.
Susan

MrsJim
05-12-2001, 02:50 PM
Hey Susan -

Sure, go ahead - I don't mind :)

What's Ab Bootcamp? Sounds rather interesting...is it part of BFL that I don't know about yet?

Regarding Myoplex - my favorite flavor is still Strawberry but I want to give some of the recipes included with Myoplex a try. This weekend, I'm going to buy some flavor extracts and start using them with the powder - that's what I used to do when I was on Optifast way back when - I'm also going to try an old trick of mixing diet root beer with a packet of vanilla Myoplex and some ice cubes when I get a blender that actually works! I swear it tastes just like a root-beer float!!

Since we're back in the foggy windy weather here today, I'm going to be hitting the mall big time and checking out all those Mother's Day sales! Later!

susanje
05-13-2001, 12:40 AM
http://www.musclemedia.com/training/BootCamp.asp
(AB BOOTCAMP!!!)

It is recommended for the last 4 weeks. I have been incorporating it into my routine for the past 4. I currently do 3 sets of ab exercises (floor crunches, reverse crunches and leg raises)....I was going to start Ab bootcamp next week but I'm going to wait until finals are over....Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!

My, was it windy today!

MrsJim
05-13-2001, 12:01 PM
Susan, thanks for posting the Ab Bootcamp info. I usually do a small amount of abs on my cardio days anyway - I read somewhere that you can 'hit' the abs a lot more often than the other muscles in your body. I can feel them getting stronger -- when doing crunches, I always hold the crunch for a couple of seconds and then slowly lower my shoulders (I keep my fingertips lightly on my shoulders rather than behind my head - a tip from my old Jazzercise instructor!). Also, I can finally do 12 full reps of the decline sit-ups, so I guess it's time to move the board up to the next level!

I'm so thrilled today - I lost another 1/2 pound. People in the gym that I don't even KNOW are coming up to me with positive remarks - it's so cool!

It was very windy yesterday - I'm hoping it calms down a bit...Jim and I are planning on going cycling. Last week he hooked up quite accidentally with a good friend of his from San Diego whom he'd lost touch with. Turns out they were both searching for each other - and Shree had moved from SoCal to Marin County last year. He's a talented singer/songwriter, so I expect that most Saturday nights Jim and Shree will be getting together to 'lay down some tracks' in the studio! It means that we won't be spending as much time together but Jim has really missed playing with Shree. (I won't be going along most of the time as I know from previous experience that recording can be VERY long, tedious and boring for bystanders - I'll just wait for the finished product!)

Free Day! We're going to Red Robin (I think) for some really sinful eating!!! Later...

susanje
05-13-2001, 02:53 PM
Thats great about Jim's friend. Yes, it can be boring. I used to work for a guy who had a recording studio in his house (Jan Hammer who did the Miami Vice theme) and it was VERY tedious. Some days listening to it over and over again even the best music can sound horrid.

I am in semi-free day mode. Really haven't earned it this week and I feel it would be detrimental to really go nuts. Am going to have a free meal tonight with dessert and had cereal for breakfast, but other than that, I'm not doing my normal free day overload.

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Susan