South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 06:28 PM   #1  
Slowly Changing My Life..

S/C/G: 250/239.8/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default Hummus (sp?)

Ok, I know this is a dip after reading some comments about it, but can someone please fill me in on what it tastes like and why you love it so much? I'm looking for a dip for veggies, but I'd like to know what this tastes like before buying the stuff to make it.

Thanks

~P
Old 10-03-2004, 06:34 PM   #2  
A Lily from my yard!

If you look in the recipe section and put in Hummus you will see the ing. for it. It is a pea based dip. I have never tried it cause it does not look appealing to me. Hope this helps!
Old 10-03-2004, 07:26 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It is a chick pea (not normal pea) dip. It is pretty good, garlicky and all. The first time I tried it, I didn't like it but it is pretty good and protein filled.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:31 PM   #4  

It's hard to explain the taste. It may be a little odd the first time you try it. If you don't like chickpeas it may not be for you, but the tahin (seasame paste, essentially) and lemon juice mitigate that a bit. If you don't want to make it, most stores sell it in a variety of flavors--regular, garlic, and roasted red pepper, so you can buy a container and see how you like it.

ps nelie--congrats on your goal and so ahead of schedule! You're doing amazingly well.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:16 PM   #5  
I found my hipbones!

I avoided hummus like the plague for about 7 months on this diet b/c I normally cannot stand chickpeas. However, on a day when I was dying for something to put on some OP crackers, I bought some roasted garlic hummus out of desperation, and it was the beginning of a love affair for me.

The roasted garlic flavor is the only one I have tried, so it may just be the garlic speaking to me. It does not taste as beany as I had imagined it would. I think the lemon juice, olive oil, and tahini do a lot to moderate the starchiness that I usually hate in beans.

I've used it to spread on stone ground wheat crackers, and I use it as a dip with sliced red peppers for a snack quite often. I think there is a recipe in the forum for a roasted veggie sandwich that uses hummus as a condiment. I printed that one off a while back, but I have yet to try it.

It's hard to say exactly what it tastes like. Some things only taste like themselves. Be brave! Buy a small container, and give it a try!
Old 10-04-2004, 02:53 AM   #6  
Slowly Changing My Life..

S/C/G: 250/239.8/145

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll give it a shot.

~P
Old 10-04-2004, 09:21 AM   #7  
Almost 20 lbs gone 4ever!

I love, love hummus!! Though I spent a summer in Isreal and love those types of foods -- so tasty!

Lauren
Old 10-04-2004, 09:43 AM   #8  

My grocery store sells about 8 flavors of hummus. Several have ingredients that are not OP and the ones that are just weren't that great so I go to a different grocery store which has the Greek flavor which is so yummy. I just buy several containers and it lasts me weeks. There really are a lot of different flavors and it all depends on what you like. I eat it with red pepper strips almost every day now. Serving size is 2 TBSP.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:01 AM   #9  
Peanut's Mom

I used to love hummus when I made it myself in college, but after several years of not eating it, I can't seem to get the same flavor from my recipe. I thought maybe it's the tahini b/c I don't like sesame. And the store bought products are too salty. How essential is the tahini?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:42 AM   #10  
i luv my dog!

Hi Laurie, I have a recipe that doesn't use tahini (but does have sesame oil) and I think its quite tasty!! Maybe you could try it. Here's the link:

Hummus Dip
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...70799#poststop
Old 10-04-2004, 11:55 AM   #11  

Yummy! I love hummus! I have to say when I first tried it, I was prepared to not like it, (it doesn't "look" appealing to me) but I loved it right away. I agree that some store bought brands are very salty. I like "Joseph's" and "Cedar's" (not sure if those are local brands.) Do check the ingredients though to make sure they are OP, as I haven't checked it out since I started SBD. (I used to love it with pita bread.) I am going to try and make my own as well and see how it comes out.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I'm odd. I really like chick peas, but I haven't delevoped the taste for hummus. I've only made it myself. Maybe store bought might be better. The recipes I've tried tend to be overly lemony or sesame-y and gritty I've not tried the recipe on the list on in the book. I probably should give it another try.
Closed Thread