South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #1  

Default Plunging too quickly...

Hi gals!
I have read a few threads on here about losing weight too quickly and how if you lose more than 2 pounds a week, then you're losing muscle. If I have lost 63 pounds and still want to lose another 40 (at least) is it still taboo to lose faster? Like last week I lost three and a half pounds (gained one back this weekend - damn tailgating at UMASS football! )...and I NEVER drink enough on the weekends though my activity level is much higher and i don't get my snacks in. So during the week I do great..but is it too much too fast...I would say at the most I lose 3-4 a week sometimes and that's not the same every week. I'm trying to rationalize it by thinking that I have a bunch to lose so it's ok. Though when I add starches, I almost feel like I'm cheating! It's all in my head I guess !! Please advise, I always think that as long as I'm losing it's fine! Who knows!

Elaine
288/225 /199(mini goal)/188 (probably lower)
SW/CW GW
Old 09-27-2004, 08:49 PM   #2  

You also need to keep in mind that if you don't have the right balance of carbs (ala Atkins) you will be losing water weight only. I would say just make sure you get plenty of exercise and drink lots of water. Keep on, you are doing great :-)
Old 09-27-2004, 08:54 PM   #3  

Well I'll tell you my average menu MOnday through Friday:

Breakfast:
coffee with skim and splenda
sausage and cheddar quiche

snack (when I have one):
low carb yogurt or a fruit

lunch:
salad with seafood salad or ceasar salad with grilled chicken

snack:
celery sticks with LC cheese or cheese sticks

dinner:
any phase one meal (usually chicken/pork or steak with veggies)

I drink 2 liters plus of water a day too...

any ideas??

Elaine
Old 09-27-2004, 09:01 PM   #4  

Are you on Phase 1 or 2? I'm not seeing any of the healthy carbs. You shouldn't stay on phase 1 too long. I think you could use some extra vegetables too but you probably should add some starches at least every other day if you are on phase 2.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:09 PM   #5  

I"ve been going in between Phase 1 and 2. I"ve been on the beach since January 12, 2004. Today though I had some dreamfields pasta with no sugar added light ragu with my salad...and I added low carb bread to my sausage and egg quiches (made a breakfast casserole instead of muffins). I feel like I eat SO MANY veggies already!

thanks,
E
Old 09-27-2004, 10:03 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

When you are in the upper 200's or more, losing more than 2 lbs a week isn't too bad, but at your weight, you really shouldn't lose more than 2 lbs a week. The reasoning is your body won't let go of more than 2 lbs of fat/week and so it'll let go of its muscle thus resulting in losing muscle weight which slows your metabolism.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:44 AM   #7  

Firstly congratulations on your weight loss. You must be very disciplined to stay with it. Secondly, I would be worried about having loose skin if you lose 100 pounds relatively quickly. It may also be damaging to be on a very low carb diet for more than a couple of months as you may not be getting the vitamins and minerals you need. I would be inclined to slow things down just a little. You could add some healthy carbs like beans, nuts or some root vegetables like carrots to your stirfries and salads if you are reluctant to have grains. Alternatively you could take a break and maintain your weight for a couple of weeks every time you lose say twenty pounds. Then your weight loss would be in short bursts but give your skin time to settle into your new slimmer size and enable you to get the nutrients you need.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:56 AM   #8  

Hi there. This is something I worry about too. (I am a complete worry wart, so there's nothing new there.) I average about a 2.4 pound loss per week, but I am trying to concentrate on exercise now so I won't lose too much muscle. I also really worry about the loose skin thing. EEEK!!! I really need to find a balance of the good carbs. I do like my fruit though! And I am thinking about trying polenta... I am SO daring!
Closed Thread