Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 11:12 AM   #1  

Default Anyone Try the Vaxa products?

Wondering if anyone has tried the Vaxa product, Nite Lite? My weightloss coach suggested I try this to get the metabolism moving. She said she does not usually suggest any type of "pill", but it seems that a couple of us on her program are really having a time getting the weight to budge.

Just curious if anyone has tried them or knows anything about them. The good thing is they have a 30 day money back policy, so I guess I would not be out any $$. I just worry about side effects.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:52 PM   #2  
it's always something

This probably won't surprise anyone here, lol, but I would not recommend this product. The whole "lose weight while you sleep" pitch is a pretty big red flag, and their claims cannot be backed up.

The ingredient list for this products contains a lot of items that have not been shown to aid in weight loss. Some might even be dangerous to take in the long term. For example, if you click on the link to view the full ingredient list, it shows 5-HTP (5 Hydroxy-L-Tryptophan) According to Berkeley Welllness, University of California:
Quote:
In 1989, thousands of people taking tryptophan developed a rare and incurable blood disease, leading the FDA to ban all sales of the pills. 5-HTP, a close relative of tryptophan, is being taken as a substitute for it. Its potential dangers outweigh any possible benefits.

... There is still the worry of contamination with 5-HTP, even though its manufacture is very different from that of tryptophan. There have been a few reports, still unconfirmed, of symptoms similar to those caused by the contaminated tryptophan. And indeed researchers have identified one contaminant in 5-HTP.

In addition, 5-HTP should not be combined with other antidepressants, whether prescription or "herbal" (such as St. John's wort).

...Certain supplements, such as 5-HTP, do seem to influence brain chemicals. But remember, even though they may be "natural" (which is debatable), they can also have serious adverse effects—just like traditional antidepressants, as well as tryptophan or Redux. As for 5-HTP, the potential dangers outweigh any possible benefits.
This alone would cause me to avoid Nite Lite. Other ingredients in this product are also questionable. Regardless, these types of products never work like they say. Many may have a diuretic effect, so you may lose a few pounds of water and think they work.

If the diet plan you are following isn't working for you, have you considered changing plans? We are all very unique and a diet that works for one person may not work for another. If you'd like to post your plan, I'm sure a lot of people might offer suggestions. Perhaps you aren't getting enough calories, or maybe you are not getting enough exercise. There are a lot of tricks to jumpstart your metabolism without taking potentially dangerous or useless supplements, and maybe we can help
Old 09-23-2004, 11:36 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey Suzanne - I just went to their website and apparently not only are they selling a crappy product, they have typos in their site...

This one caught my eye - "lose weight while you sleep".

One of my big pet peeves... It's LOSE WEIGHT, not lose weight.

Anyways...just because your "weightloss coach" recommends something doesn't mean you have to do EVERYTHING that is suggested. (BTW I'd be interested to know what you mean exactly by "weightloss coach" - is this a person you know 'in person' - perhaps a personal trainer at your gym - or just someone you know online?) For example - when I was in Jazzercize about 10-11 years ago, my instructor who was a GREAT instructor and had lots of good advice started recommending a 'nutritional supplement' called Km. (I'm sure it's probably still out there somewhere.) Came in a white plastic bottle and cost $35. Well, I really thought the world of my instructor...so I scraped together the bucks (not as easy as it sounds since I was going through a fairly messy divorce and paying legal bills and such at the time) and bought that Km (from my instructor of course!) along with most of the other folks in my VERY large Jazzercise class (and I ain't kidding - there were usually at least 50-60 people in the class on average).

Well, I dunno about 'health benefits' because the stuff just tasted NASTY. It was so utterly foul that I can't imagine that ANYONE with taste buds would be able to stand pouring it in their mouths - I even tried holding my nose, diluting it with water...anything and NOTHING helped. I'm sure that just like me, there were plenty of my fellow Jazzercisers who now had an almost-full bottle of Km sitting far, far back on the shelf in the fridge.

Actually I just googled and dang if it still isn't being sold. Trust me...if anyone tries to sell you this stuff...save your money. Or at the very least, insist on (gag) tasting it first, because it is N.A.S.T.Y.

So what exactly AM I saying here?? Well, basically, it's this - just because someone is your 'weight loss coach' doesn't mean that every piece of advice they give you is going to be GOOD advice.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:55 AM   #4  

LOL..thanks guys! I knew it was most likely another product that would not work. She is a personal trainer and has a lot of people who have lost on her program. I have met her and a lot of her "students". I am not training with her, but I am on her eating program. I lost the first two weeks, but then it just stopped coming off. I can say I have gotten off cokes and I have no sugars. You would think this alone would make you lose weight. The program consists of eating every 3-4 hours; breakfast a protien or fruit, 3 hours later a carb (1/2 cup oatmeal, or 1/2 sweet potato or cup brown rice), lunch is a salad (or veggies) with a protien or even a sandwich on 100% whole wheat bread, 3 hours later another carb and for dinner veggies and a protien. Of course portion control is also the key. The only thing it really eliminates is, white flour, white rice or reg pasta, sugars of course and she encourages you to not have soda's, which I gave up pretty easy. I do not get hungry unless I do not eat at least every 3-4 hours. Then of course I am starved. I walk my treadmill every morning for a mile or more at 3.2 MPH. I do not eat after 7 PM. I only drink water during the day and 2 cups of de-caf coffee each morning, black. I get between 1200-1500 cal per day depending on what I eat. I do keep up with it in a journal and also record when I get hungry or if I crave anything, so I can see what triggers the cravings. I think it is a good program because I have seen (and met) people it has worked for even a lady in her late 60's has totally transformed her body. It is just not working for me.

I have done Atkins and lost 30 inches and 19 lbs. Of course when I stopped doing the program it all came back. I just do not think I can do Atkins again, even tho it did work. Tried the S Beach diet, no results. Have joined WW, lost only about 9 pounds, hit a plateau and it would not budge further. I had my thyroid checked it is normal. My dr changed my estrogen to a lower dosage. I am tired all the time and just cannot hardly get through a day. I sleep well for a good 7-8 hours provided it is cool in my house, other wise I wake up with hotflashes and cannot get back to sleep. I take no other meds other than a calcium tab, vit e and a multi vit.

So I am certainly open to any and all suggestions on how to jump start my metabo. I have considered one of the liquid diets just to get the loss started. I was afraid these pills may keep me awake at night and I have to have at least 7 hours of sleep or I do not function. I know what works for one does not work for the other. In addition to the diets mentions above I have tried them ALL over the past several years. Weight used to come off really easy, then the last 4 years or so, it just will not go. I need to drop at least 30 lbs to be at a healthy weight and would love to drop 50.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:07 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know you are mentioning food, but are you doing any exercise? Doing some cardio and weight training should definitely help you.

Also, my own personal recommendation would to have at least a little protein with every meal you have. Your eating program does sound like the SBD to me but that is just because what I am doing except I don't eat as many carbs.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:18 AM   #6  

Hi Nelie,

The only exercise I do is the treadmill for a mile or more each morning at 3.2 mph. I hate exercise, but I do not mind the treadmill. I feel I get a better walk on it than outside. I tend to slow down outside when I walk and if I set the speed on the TM, I have to keep up! At some meals I do get a little more protien than others. I was afraid the carbs may be keeping me from losing, however, I have heard we have to have some carbs.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:37 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

You probably need to bump up the exercise. If all you've been doing is a slow mile each day (and 3.2 MPH is a fairly slow mile) without making any change or 'bumping it up' whatsoever, your body has most likely become accustomed to that pace. To make improvements you need to increase intensity...while you're on the treadmill throw in a jog or even a short run every few minutes or so. The treadmill happens to be one of my least favorite machines, just because it's so g-d boring (I prefer the elliptical, a Spinning class, or using the rowing machine). If you find you slow down when walking outside I'd HIGHLY suggest investing in a personal stereo or MP3 player - load in some tunes with a good beat that'll keep you moving! I can't work out without my tunes And if you can, join a gym or a 'live' class such as the aforementioned Jazzercise - DON'T worry that you'll be 'the fattest one there' because these days, most likely you won't be - I bet you'll find that you get a real charge of adrenaline when you're exercising with others. I'd probably still do Jazzercise if I could fit it into my schedule - it really DOES fit almost everyone! If you go to the www.jazzercise.com website, they often have a printable coupon for a free class
Old 09-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #8  

Thanks for the info MrsJim. My schedule does not allow for classes, so I have to do whatever at home. My treadmill has the incline so I raise that to a different level each week. It also has the arm rowers and I have those tightened all the way for the most resistance. I sometimes put it on one of the programs and it will reach speeds of 4.5 mph and 6.mph Can't keep up with those just yet. I did not think 3.2 was slow, but I am not an advanced exerciser yet either. I do walk each morning about 6AM. Seems if I do not fit it in then, it does not get done. Another reason I do not walk outside is all the rain/storms Florida has. Of course it will calm down weatherwise about November and I can again get outside. I figured the only way to get a walk in was buy a treadmill!
Old 09-24-2004, 04:35 PM   #9  

oh yeah, how many minutes should it take to walk a mile? I will try to run thing on my next time on there.
Closed Thread