Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 03:07 PM   #1  

Default In place of bread crumbs?

Anyone have an idea of what could be used in place of bread crumbs that would be CORE? I would like to make eggplant parm or chicken cutlets.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:27 PM   #2  

Cornmeal? But it would change the taste. Oat bran?
I love the question- I would like to hear what you tried and how it worked out. I just love chicken parm.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:29 PM   #3  
Empress/Queen

My mother always made veal parm. with cornmeal, not breadcrumbs. I don't eat veal anymore but have used the recipe for chicken. I've never thought of using breadcrumbs. The cornmeal is delicious.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

what about oatmeal or something to that nature? This is a question I've wondered about too. I tried cornmeal on chicken and it just wasn't the same, tastes great on fish but not so great on chicken. But maybe it's just me, lol.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:43 AM   #5  
Janette

I tried the cornmeal on chicken too. Made me think of fish (ugh!) But like most things I think it is a taste I could get used to. I used chicken planks and cooked them a littleeeeeee too long but it did give them a crunchy breaded taste! Wonder if you could smash up the shredded wheat cereal and use it? I've used cornflakes that way before and it wasn't half bad.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

if we smashed up the shredded wheat would we have to count those pts since we aren't eating it with milk? lol... or would there not be enough to equal one pt? I thought that was a great idea.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:06 PM   #7  
Janette

Well then, throw a little milk in there
Old 09-19-2004, 05:56 PM   #8  

Actually, if you soak your milk in chicken before adding the shredded wheat, would that count? I usually soak my chicken in milk before making chicken parm anyway because it makes the chicken really, really moist. It's definitely a must try!
Old 10-11-2004, 01:06 AM   #9  

We used cornmeal to "bread" skinless chicken before baking. The trick is to REALLY spice it up so it loses that "corn" taste a bit

We've used dry oatmeal instead of bread crumbs in meat loaf...
Old 10-11-2004, 01:21 PM   #10  

Would wheat germ work? If you can go to a whole foods, you can wander about their bulk grain section and probably find something that will work.
Closed Thread