Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:48 AM   #1  
Focus on the Process

S/C/G: 247/247/165

Height: 5' 8"

Red face New Member With Ra

Hi, I'm new to 3fc and saw this forum and thought it might be good for me. I have had RA for about 4 years now. It wasn't bad at first, but progressed rapidly after the birth of my daughter 2 years ago. Its been long and hard. I gained alot of weight because it was just hard to move for awhile. I had some problems with medications a year ago and ended up with liver toxicity. I had to quit my meds until my liver counts went back to normal . I finally got of prednisone a few weeks ago. The pain is back in my feet but not too bad. I am currently taking Bextra and methotrexate. I have to try to hold out until February when my pre-existing condition waiting period is done for our current insurance. I joined WW in May and have only lost 11 pounds so far. I am a little discouraged...okay, maybe alot. I would like to find some exercising I can do everyday. Any ideas. I can't do anything to intense because of the flare ups afterwards. I hate those! Even though I have had RA for awhile, I still feel new to the game. Any help, tips, or tricks, or medical updates would be great. It's nice to know that there is other people out there trying to lose weight with this nasty disease.
chrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:40 PM   #2  

Hi, Chrily. I'm Kelley/ Okidoll in OKC> I'm 31 w/ RA and Lupus. I'm new here, too. I also take Methotrexate (shots), Vioxx, Plaquenil --- all the good stuff.

I'm fortunate enough to have a treadmill and weights, but I've been having a problem lately of being completely wiped out and hurting after I walk. I guess I need to learn to pace myself. I don't know.... bums me out.

I used to love to stairclimb, but I think that is pretty much out of the question for me right now. Maybe someday. I loved that stairclimber!

I love to walk, but people hate to walk with me because I sometimes I'm pretty slow or have to stop. I'm more of a solitary walker, anyway. I can clear my head.

AnyWHO.. I just wanted to say, HI and welcome.
okidoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:03 AM   #3  
Focus on the Process

That is funny...my husbands name is Kelly. Anyhow I take methotrexate once a week (8 pills) and am scared to death of plaquenil. I have really bad eyesight to begin with so the risk for retinal damage with that drug makes me want to stay as far away as possible. I've been walking my kids to school lately and that helps some. It's just so hard for people to understand that it takes a lot less time for me to get fatigued than most people. I can walk for a long time, not fast mind you, but I do okay. My elliptical machine...that only takes 2 minutes before I have leg cramps and am jumping off. Did your doctor recommend you lose weight? I figured even though its RA that any weight I lose will be less of a strain on my joints. It definately can't hurt. Nice talking to you.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:52 PM   #4  

I have been truly blessed by having a doctor that understands those of us w/ auto-immune diseases. He is the most gentle doctor I have ever met or heard about.

He didn't mention weight to me at all, because he knew I was exercising and trying, plus he fights the battle himself. I brought my weight up on our last visit because I gained about 5 pounds, and I was worried about not being to exercise as much (lately at all) without sending me into flares. He recently lost a lot of weight himself.

It was funny, because as soon as I mentioned it his eyes lit up and he got all excited. I guess he was waiting for me to make the first move! My concern was I have really tried hard to cut back, because I realize I'm not going to be able to do 5 miles or 3 miles a day walks.

My problem is amounts. Always has been I eat enormous amounts. It doesn't help I'm a good cook . I did lose those 5 pounds I gained.

I know what you are talking about with the walking. I've always wanted to be able to run. Right now that isn't realistic. I do know I would have less physical stress if I lost weight.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:57 PM   #5  
Focus on the Process

Cool

My doctor is great and works with me on everything. He makes sure I get samples of the bextra since they are quite expensive and I don't have insurance. I really like him. He always does a thorough exam, and makes sure all my questions and concerns are answered. I have never been to a doctor who actually doesn't try to rush you in and out as fast as possible. He is also a member of the worship team at my church. I've been going to him now for 3 years.
Walking, walking, walking...Have you ever literally had any dreams where you could just run without caring about it all. I do, then you wake up and realize that its not realistic anymore. It doesn't seem fair that these things happen at such an early age. I never dreamt in a million years it would happen to me. Its funny though but I don't take for granted being able to blow dry my hair or walking up and down stairs and all those other simple everyday things. I had a time last year where my medicine caused liver toxicity and had to be taken off of it. Within a couple of days I could hardly walk. It literally took me 15 minutes to walk the ten feet down the hall and go to the bathroom and back. It looks really cute trying to get off the toilet. It was one of those grit your teeth and bear it. I tried so hard to walk down the stairs...only 5 of them...and I would be sweating and shaking so bad. That's when a gained more weight. I swore I'd never ever get above 200...then one day when I finally got on methotrexate and found a scale...i was 223. Holy cow! I've lost 11 but its taken since May. I am not one to be patient either. I wish there was a quick fix...then I could wake up in the morning and be a skinny minny.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:43 PM   #6  

oh, my goodness. I think we could finish each other's post! I swore to myself too I would never get 200 --- ooops... Well here we are.. I actually walked today --- 45 minutes. I haven't walked since Wednesday. I felt so bad Wed-last night. Today I felt a little stronger so let's see what happens tomorrow. The only thing that has ever truly worked for me was writing down what I eat and the calories.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:00 AM   #7  

Hi, chrily and okidoll. I'm in that RA club as well but fortunately mine waited a bit longer to show up. I have been on Plaquenil (right, it's scary) but have now been off it for 2 1/2 years and was finally able to lose some wt (about 45 lbs over the last 2 yers). But I've been plateauing forever. I gained, as you said, when I couldn't move around much and I think from being on arthritis meds for so many years. I've had two knee replacements (from OA, though) so you know I wasn't running any marathons. I'm fortunate enough to be able to go to a wellness place for water exercising and that helps me a lot. Walking is my other thing but weather has to work for that as I can be wiped out from one or the other.

I think the hardest part for me is the fatigue and I'm grateful I didn't have RA when my kids were little. It really is the hardest thing for others to understand. There are a lot of RAers here on various boards. Mostly I post on the Fibro board because they were nice enough to welcome me when I first came aboard and the symptoms are close enough that we understand each other.
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:59 AM   #8  
Focus on the Process

Talking

Anagram, Glad to meet you. You know, for the longest time I couldn't understand why everyone said RA is one of the worst arthritis's...now I know. Fatigue is a big one for me too. Lately I've even been making that one worse because I just can't sleep. I go through periods...I swear...where I wake up constantly all night long. This makes for a not so restful night. It is so hard for everyone to what RA is all about. My husband always tells me when I have a really bad flare (Thank God this hasn't happened for a long time) to just work through it and not dwell on it. Nobody gets that the intensity of the pain and inflammation is HUGE.

Okidoll-hope your feeling better now. I really hate those post-exercise flares. It really does make it hard to keep up with an exercise program that will show results. I've been trying mini walks along with my walks to school with the kids. I don't think there is much in the line of health benefits but then again, I'm not a doctor. So who's to say. I have been journaling my food and exercise. It doesn't give yo something to look at and see where yo can make improvements.

Well everyone, have a great rest of the day. I'll check back in when the housework is done and the kids are sleeping.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:45 PM   #9  

BTW, the Arthritis Foundation puts out a tape called PACE "People with Arthritis Can Exercise". Comes in two versions depending on degree of restriction.
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote