Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 10:44 PM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 9/13 - 9/19

I have class tomorrow night and never know if I'll get to post at school so I figured I'd start this week's thread.

Janette - great job at the birthday celebration and great job on only using 10 points! I hope I can do as well on Wed and Thurs. Thanks for the cornbread recipe. It's definitely something I want to try.

As I posted on last week's thread, I had a 2 pound loss for my first week on core. Since Sat was my usual weigh-in and I went back to my meeting, I'm going to post my results both on the scale I've been using at home this summer (and on which I'm tracking my 5 pound goal for Sept) as well as the "offical, at WW" weight which is higher by almost 2.5 pounds.

I had a good day today - a little snacky but I also got in a bunch of exercise: yoga first thing in the morning and tennis with Tony a little later in the morning. The AP's I earned took care of the couple of points I used so I'm still in good shape for the week and the upcoming holiday.

I packed a bunch of things to take with me to school (work) and grad school (late afternoon/evening and before dinner). Since the class's snack varies depending on when the specials are, I've decided the best way for me to make it lunchtime (1:00) is to eat a little something once I get to work but before the kids come. It worked OK on Thurs & Fri and I have a couple of core snacks to bring with me (plain yogurt with strawberries and some equal and an apple).

Have a great one!
Judy
163.6/152 (home scale)/154.4 (WW scale)/135
171/240 workouts
2 pounds lost in the 5 in September goal
Old 09-13-2004, 11:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Ok first of all, here's the post from the WW message boards re: why breads made with CORE ingrediants aren't CORE.

"WW is issuing a clarification through the centers this week that dry oatmeal used as a flour is NOT core. And that pancakes and cornbreads and breads, even if made with Core ingredients, are still not Core.

There are two big issues. One is "likely to trigger overeating" and the other is "caloric density" and both of these can work together.

Consider: very few people will eat 400 calories of corn niblets in one sitting.
Yet very few people will eat LESS than 400 calories of cornbread in one sitting.
Why? Because once you mix in splenda and oil and salt, and bake out a lot of the water content, you've upped the food-trigger quotient of the food AND increased the caloric density.

Core is NOT about the chemical components of the foods. It's about creating a list of foods that can be eaten by most people without having to weigh, measure, or journal.
So it assumes a certain caloric density to make that work.

A bowl of oatmeal is about 100 calories, based on 1/3 of a cup of oatmeal made with 1/2 or more cups of water. A single oatmeal pancake from the "Core" recipe I've seen floating around had 1/2 cup dry oatmeal PLUS 1/4 cup of cottage cheese PLUS 2 eggs plus vanilla, cinnamon, and splenda. And NO water! The oatmeal is being mixed with cottage chese and eggs instead of water. Just one of them was about 450 calories, and I heard of several people who were having 2 or even 3 for breakfast. Any recipe made with dry oatmeal is going to be suspect, because without the water it's higher in caloric density.

It's back to the "grapes are core, raisins are not" point. Oatmeal mixed with water and eaten in a bowl with milk is core. Dry oatmeal used as a type of flour is not.
You can still have that cornbread, but you'll need to use points for it. "
Old 09-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #3  

Ok. So there's the reasoning behind why some things aren't CORE when they're made of CORE ingrediants. I'm still not sure what the difference is between eating the oatmeal pancake, other than the splenda, than eating a bowl of oatmeal (which I've always made with 1/2 c of oatmeal), a 1/4 c serving of cottage cheese, and 2 eggs, which would be a perfectly legit CORE breakfast. Of course there is the number of servings issue (and if just one pancake contains all those ingrediants, my goodness that must be a filling pancake), but at some point common sense has to take over. I mean it's also possible to overeat/binge on strictly core foods. It's kind of like 123 Success before fiber was capped when everyone was adding Kashi to everything to make it lower points. Or like if I were able to find whole wheat elbow noodles to make my mac and cheese and I used ff shredded cheese, well then the whole pan would just be like 4 points for the butter and the flour. But I would hope to goodness that I would have enough sense to know that eating the whole pan wouldn't get me any closer to goal (although when I'm PMSing....).

Janette - Great job at the birthday party! Thanks for posting the recipe. It's something I would make even on my FLEX weeks. I love cornbread.

Judy - Great loss for your first week of CORE! Don't you hate seeing that higher weight on the WW scales, especially since it's mostly clothes? I'm sure you'll do fine during Rosh Hashana. Will latkes be involved? You know how I envy you the latkes. Sounds like you have a good plan in place for handling morning snacks/making it through to lunch.

Kristen - Hope all is going well with you.

Well I made it through my first weekend on CORE just fine. I used a handful of flex points on Saturday. John and I split a bagel and some cream cheese at Panera Bread and then I had a glass of wine at the concert. Yesterday I didn't even really feel like eating (although I did, of course). Friday and Saturday my stomach was a bit dodgy - all that fiber I suppose - but it was fine yesterday and so far today. The Cream of Wheat I had for breakfast was a nice change from the oatmeal and shredded wheat I'd been eating. Lunch today will be a spinach salad with a hard boiled egg and a couple of slices of center cut bacon in eat, topped with my ff garlic dressing. On a non-food note, Ana's teacher called me a little while ago to discuss Ana's progress with reading, which is small, and to let me know that she and the other elementary teacher are seeing red flags pointing towards possible dyslexia. This really doesn't come as a surprise and it I was actually going to ask for a teacher conference in a couple of weeks. Luckily they have an in-house reading tutor available once a week and then too the public schools have to make resources available to us, should we need them. I know that there is lots we can do to help her, but it makes me so sad to think of my baby struggling with learning. Please keep good thoughts for her.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 09-13-2004, 12:39 PM   #4  
Canadian, eh?

Hi All...

Back from beyond. The weather was very chilly and rainy, so here I am, home a week early. Unfortunately, I ate way too many "comfort foods" while away, so I'm going to have to refocus to make the September goal.

Will go back and read last week's posts and be back later.

Karen
Old 09-13-2004, 02:26 PM   #5  

Karen - Welcome back. We missed you. Sorry to hear that you had such lousy weather that you cut your stay. Here's hoping you get to relax at home this week. I hear you on the comfort food - chilly and rainy does that to a person.

Carla
Old 09-13-2004, 09:11 PM   #6  
Janette

OK Carla. I get the point about the increase in calories once you bake the cornbread mixture. I will continue to eat it and consider it Core since I don't use the processed white flour but make sure I have that many flex points left over that week to balance it out. I also agree that it is about moderation in all things. I never stopped counting the fiber because I did not feel I was abusing it by eating high fiber cereal by the box every day! One serving (measured and counted) of Raisin Bran was my limit.
Judy, having those Core snacks are what save me during the day. Without them, I would be eating the upholstery on the way to lunch (I don't go until 1:00).
Carla, I know it is hard for us to see our babies struggle with anything, but with help, she will be just fine. You may have to stay on them, though--experience talking here.
I'm so looking forward to some "comfort food" weather. Still in the 90s here.
Janette
Old 09-13-2004, 09:18 PM   #7  

Karen - Welcome back! We missed you indeed. I'm sorry that the weather was lousy but it's good to have you back. The fact that you are even talking about refocusing to make the September goal tells me that you can do and will do - we'll do it together! I suppose with rainy and chilly you weren't able to get in nearly as much walking/hiking as you had planned?

Carla - well, I can understand that it must be so difficult for you to see Ana having difficulty but I think it's great that Ana's teacher has contacted you. Early intervention is the best way to go and you are right, by law, the public schools have to mak special services available to Ana (based on things like her scores on tests they will give her). I'm sure Ana will end up doing fine. I just shudder to think what it must have been like for kids back when none of this was recognized and there were no interventions! As for the WW quote - thank you, it does make sense in the way they describe it. As long as I can keep the amount of my oatmeal banana bread/cake reasonable and still lose, well, I'm just going to keep making it and enjoying it. I'm glad your first weekend on core went well. I have used a few of my WPA's - a few today because I decided that Mondays are going to be exercise rest days - at least in the morning. I know someone over at VF that says she does that and it makes sense - it's always a bit more difficult to get up, even a little later on Monday mornings! I do plan on doing a little step tomorrow morning - or at least some yoga. No, there won't be latkes - they are the traditional dish for Hannukah (sometime in Dec - I don't know when it occurs this year). Mom could make a potato kugel, which is like a whole pan of (thicker) latkes - very naughty and very delicious - but thankfully, at least on Wed, she is baking some yams. I should tell her to make some kasha - that's core, or as I say to Tony, that's free! Edited to say that I just spoke to my mom and she IS making kugel on Thursday - I am going to have to get up and exercise my butt off on Thursday before temple. Oh, and I convinced her to make some kasha too.

I had a good day today. I did find that I was very hungy by lunchtime today. I had shredded wheat with a banana at home and brought some ff plain yogurt with strawberries to have at work before the kids came but it didn't stick with me. I did manage to turn down a DD munchkin though (birthday party for one of the boys!)

I'd better get off and figure out what I am going to bring for lunch tomorrow.

Regards,
Judy
Old 09-13-2004, 10:18 PM   #8  

Janette and Judy - Thanks for your kind words about Ana. You're right - thank goodness for the early intervention and for on-the-ball teachers.

Janette - Well, I think you'll be fine with the corn bread. Heck, I'm going to make it and probably call it CORE too. My mac and cheese on the other hand, probably not. I don't trust myself :-)

Judy - Kugel? I'll be there. What time is dinner? Glad to hear mom is making kasha too. John introduced my to kasha - or rather my MIL did - all these many years ago and I love it. But I don't know if it could make mewalk away from the kugel. I had the hungries today too - it must be universal. And now I could just throw myself into a vat of Suzy-Qs and eat my way out. But that's just the PMS talking.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Carla
Old 09-14-2004, 09:00 AM   #9  

Janette - we must have been posting around the same time because I didn't see your post until this morning. Yes, those core snacks keep me from eating the desks, pencils, etc. until lunch at 1:00. Yes, I agree that it's key to stay on top of the schools/teachers/services to make sure you get what you need - as a matter of fact, sometimes parents just have to demand it - and it's true that the squeaky wheel gets the grease! Your temps are still in the 90's??? Yikes!! I'm looking forward to some crisp fall weather myself - there are a lot of great sounding core soup recipes in the new cookbook that I can't wait to try.

Carla - Well, I don't expect the kasha to allow me to *walk away* from the kugel but I do plan on having some kasha first (which my father, who doesn't like it, has always called belly-filler food) and only then will I take a piece of kugel (the crispiest piece I can find). Hopefully, that will keep me from seconds on the kugel. Actually, that should be my mantra - seconds on kasha only! I'm sorry you're PMS'ing but I have to tell you, I laughed out loud at "And now I could just throw myself into a vat of Suzy-Qs and eat my way out".

I'm off to a good start - I felt a bit craky this morning so instead of some step, I did a short yoga workout. We have gym today so I'm sure I'll be doing some upper body free weights.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 09-14-2004, 12:33 PM   #10  

Hi all.

Janette - Forgot to mention that I've never stopped counting the fiber either because, like you, I don't go nuts with it. Sometimes having those two slices of Natural Oven bread for 1 point is all that keeps me sane. Well, diet-wise at least.

Judy - Glad I could give you a laugh. I couldn't tell from your post if you were creaky or cranky this morning. If creaky, then I hope your joints loosen up. If cranky, then I join you. PMS at it's finest. Nothing is making me happy. Well, that's not true. Ana's school had a pet parade this morning and watching that made me very happy. The kids are just so cute. We knew that Luigi the cat wouldn't enjoy the experience at all, so we enlarged a picture of him and Ana carried that. But food-wise, nothing is making me happy. About all I have to eat for lunch that's CORE is lentil soup and it's getting hot here, so I don't want that really. I really want one of my pot pies or mini pizzas, but I don't want to spend the points. I'm just a wreck. I think I'll just have the dang pot pie and be done with it. I have 9 points left for today, which is the last day of my week. Tomorrow I'm switching back to flex for the week. I plan on alternating between the two on a week on/week off basis. I've enjoyed core and it's working, but need the break. I miss the pot pie and the breakfast sandwiches and the other non-core lunch and breakfast favorites. Yeah, I know I could just spend the points on them, but.... I'd better go find something uplifting to do now so my mood improves before that vat of Suzy Qs becomes a horrible reality.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 09-15-2004, 10:22 AM   #11  

Thumbs up

Hi all.

Judy - Happy Rosh Hashana!

Good news: - I didn't buy and eat any Suzy Q's yesterday. (Although I did indulge in a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich and a Slim Fast PB crunch bar. Hey, I have PMS - give me a break.)

Better news - I did not buy any Halloween candy at Target yesterday. Buying surely would have led to eating.

Best news - I lost 7.4 pounds this week !!! Now granted some of that was the water I gained seemingly overnight last week. (Remember I dropped 3.6 pounds by the next day.) But I don't care what it is or how I lost it. It's gone. I'm back in the 250s, albeit the high end. So CORE has been good to me. I ate a lot healthier last week than I normally do. My snacking was greatly reduced and, aside from these last couple of PMS days, so were my cravings. I'm still switching back to flex for this week, but will continue with my new-found milk-drinking, fruit and veggie eating ways, stick to core foods as much as possible and next week I'll do core again.

Have a great day and I'll talk to you later.

Last edited by cece; 09-15-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #12  
Janette

Cece, congrat on your loss! I know you must be doing the happy dance (just like your banana!) Eating healthy foods has got to be good for us, even if we don't lose that week but when we do lose, that is so much better.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:50 PM   #13  

Janette - Thanks. Yep, I did the happy dance. And yes, losing is the icing on the healthy eating cake, so to speak.

I had a bit of a food fest last night and used up some flex points, but I still have plenty left. I spent 13 of my daily points on a sandwich at Panera Bread today, but it was worth it. Gorgonzola and veggies with a cucumber sauce on ciabatta bread. Divine. Dinner will be on the light side this evening - a pepper, tomato, and onion salad with balsamic vinegar. And maybe a ham sandwich if I feel like it. But I'm still pretty full.

Have a great day all.

Carla
Old 09-17-2004, 06:45 PM   #14  

Carla - Fantastic loss - way to go!!!!! I may go back to a flex week sometime but not yet. I'm sur the pet parade must have been adorable. I don't think any of our furries would have enjoyed participating - maybe Max - he does like to be held - but when he wants to get down, watch out! Yup, I was feeling creaky on Wed. I think after a few more weeks maybe you'll be able to use those points on core. I certainly used them over the holidays! Thanks for the holiday (new year) wishes.

I had a good couple of days. I did OK over the holidays. I saved most of my points for the two dinner and I used all but 1/2 of them! But I did enjoy a piece of (homemade) honey cake each day, some challah, a piece of kugel (yum!) to name a few yummies. I had an awful sneak peak this morning but my rings were so tight I couldn't get them off so I'm sure it's water retention and I've been guzzling all day. Oh, and PMS has come my way and that hasn't helped the water retention either. I hope I can see maintain tomorrow but whatever it is, I think I've done OK. I did manage to exercise both yesterday and today and plan on doing something inside tomorrow - it's supposed to pour - some of the remnants of Ivan but it doesn't look like it should be too bad. Tony and I hope to get out for some tennis on Sunday.

Have a great one - I'll try to get on this weekend.
Judy
Old 09-18-2004, 08:05 AM   #15  
Janette

Just dropped in to report a loss of 1 pound this week. Always glad to see the needle moving in the right direction.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. I have a morning of gardening planned--hope it helps make the yard and me look better!
Closed Thread