Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 11:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Default Low fat dip for veggies?

Does anyone have a low fat dip recipe for veggies? I do not like veggies for the most part but I am trying to be good and add some to my diet. I got some carrots. I dont love them but I dont totally hate them either but I need something for them. Any ideas?

thanks in advance
Old 09-12-2004, 12:38 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Heather, I made some tzatziki today. The recipe I used was the following (though you could omit the olive oil if you want, but it is a good fat and a little is in it for the amount of it that is made) Feel free to omit the red wine vinegar too if you don't have it. Oh also, recipe calls for lowfat plain yogurt, I used fatfree plain yogurt.

Also, you can try making or buying hummus which is made from garbanzo beans/chickpeas and is quite a good dip for veggies, high in fiber and low in fat as well.

Tzatziki
Ingredients
1 container (16 ounces) plain lowfat yogurt
1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, not peeled, seeded and finely chopped plus a few thin slices
1/1-2 teaspoons salt
1 to 2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or dill plus additional sprigs
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Instructions
Spoon yogurt into sieve lined with cheesecloth or coffee filter set over bowl; cover and refrigerate overnight. Transfer drained yogurt to medium bowl and discard liquid.

Meanwhile, in colander set over bowl, toss chopped cucumber with 1 teaspoon salt. Let drain at least 1 hour at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours. In batches, wrap chopped cucumber in kitchen towel and squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible. Pat dry with paper towels, then add to bowl with yogurt.

With flat side of chef's knife, mash garlic to a paste with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add garlic, chopped mint, oil, vinegar, and pepper to yogurt and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 or up to 4 hours. Serve chilled or at room temperature, topped with cucumber slices and mint sprigs.

Yield: about 1-1/2 cups

Per tablespoon: about 17 calories, 1 gram protein, 1 gram carbohydrate, 1 gram total fat (0 gram saturated), 1 mg cholesterol, 182 mg sodium.

Last edited by nelie; 09-12-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:02 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Nelie that looks delish I've cut and pasted for future reference...
Old 09-12-2004, 02:16 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I just wanted to add, when I made it I used dill because I really like dill and I think it compliments the cucumber very well. I have made tzatziki before but never using the cheesecloth, it tastes a lot better and is a lot thicker when using the cheesecloth, I highly recommend it. It tasted good yesterday after I made it but after sitting a day, it tastes a lot better I think. For lunch, I am eating a plate of veggies with this dip with some turkey breast meat and i plan to go to the grocery store today to buy more dipping veggies to go with it Can you tell I really like this?
Old 09-16-2004, 01:41 AM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Pink Dip:

Equal parts salsa (degree of hotness is to your liking) and fat free sour cream.

Mix & chill.

WW Dip from the early 90's

Equal parts fat free sour cream & fat free cottage cheese
1 small onion, chopped finely
1-2 Tablespoons horseradish

Mix in blender, chill & serve.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:25 AM   #6  

Heather,
I eat a lot of carrots and cucumbers. My all time favorite veggie dip is a ready made one. It is called Honey Dijon by Walden Farms. It is WONDERFUL!! If your grocery store carries this brand, it will be in the refrigerated section-usually in the produce dept. Walden Farms makes all kinds of dressings from honey dijon to blue cheese to ranch, etc. They are all calorie free, no carbs sugar free, and believe it or not, they are very tasty.
Just another way to find a tasty dip without having to make something.
CAROL
P.S. These dressings are also FF. Don't ask me how the company can make such a good product like this!
Closed Thread