Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 11:35 AM   #1  
Cowboy Up Chick

Default Corrections to CFC/DOC --- CIN can you verify?

Corrections to Complete Food Companion

- p. 25 – corn kernels should be checked CORE
- p. 25 – creamed corn NOT core
- p. 55 – tahini 2 TBS is 2 points not 5
- p. 82 – Boar’s Head, Hormel and Schneider’s Canadian Bacon should be checked CORE
- p. 94 – Bush’s vegetarian baked beans are NOT core (wahhhhh)
- p. 123 – Fiber One should be checked CORE
- p. 126 – Post 100% Bran should NOT be checked core (it has 6 g. sugar)
- p. 136 – Under “cheese substitute” heading all Galaxy Foods listings should be checked Core
- p. 138 – Foster Farms variety pack chicken breast is NOT core
- p. 170 – Blue Bunny, Breakstone, Knudson & Friendship ff sour cream should be checked CORE
- p. 270 – Act II 94% ff popcorn is CORE
- p. 314 – Campbell’s Green Pea Soup should be CORE
- p. 316 – Campbell’s Select Herb Chicken w/Roasted Veg NOT CORE (contains pasta)
- p. 318 – Chunky split pea and ham soup should be checked CORE
- p. 319 – Campbell’s Select Tomato Garden NOT Core (contains pasta)
- p. 319 – Campbell’s Select Fiesta Veg NOT Core (contains rice)
- p. 236 – Oscar Meyer Deli Style lunch meat 1 point not 2

Corrections to Dining Out Companion

- p. 13 – Arby’s reduced calorie buttermilk-ranch is NOT core
- p. 112 – Old Country Buffet pickled beets NOT core
- p. 115 – Old Country Buffet white dinner roll 2 points – not zero
- p. 128 – KFC original recipe drumstick NOT core

Corrections to Getting Started:

- p. 27 - 2 tsp of olive, canola, safflower, sunflower, or flaxseed oil will be added (in future printings) to the oils list in place of statement in italics underneath list.
- p. 38 – WW Smoothie should specify made with WATER not milk

Week 4 Cooking with Turnaround – ground turkey should be checked CORE

Action sheet for higher protein or higher carb menus – All Bran cereal and ground “meat” substitute should be checked CORE

MISCELLANEOUS:

- game meats are NOT considered core at this time but will be evaluated
- 94% ff KETTLE corn is not considered core due to abuse potential
- CORE FOODS ARE NOT ZERO POINT FOODS. i.e., a non-core food such as a serving of ff Cook Whip or some low cal breads are NOT core even if it has 0 points
- When using Core ingredients to make recipes, the finished product should be a Core food. For example using cornmeal, eggs, Splenda and fat-free milk to make corn bread or corn muffins is not OK as bread products including muffins, tortillas etc. are not Core foods. Making ice cream from fat-free milk and Splenda is not OK because ice cream is not a Core food.
- Sugar free gum is core – chew away much as you want
- juice from a juicer using core foods is not core – juice is never core
- Whole-wheat pasta with the word “enriched” preceding it is still a Core food.
- The oils listed are recommended as they are a good source of Vitamin E. Oil capsules or seeds (flaxseeds) cannot be substituted.
- For the Flex Plan, members will need to count 2 tsp of the recommended oils as part of their Daily POINTS Target or weekly POINTS Allowance.
- Low-carb pastas and pasta made from any grain other than whole wheat are not Core foods.
- Flour of any kind is not a Core food, which means that oatmeal and cornmeal ground into flour are not Core.
- Fat-free half and half, fat-free Cool Whip and fat-free cream cheese are not Core foods.
- Fresh roasted turkey or roast beef cooked at the deli are Core.
- Fast food fried chicken can be considered Core if all skin and coating is removed before eating.
- Fat-free sugar free (light) yogurts are not Core foods due to their abuse potential.
- Bread is not a Core food even if it has 0-POINTS.

Some of these are typos on WW part and a lot of the clarifications are due to abuses of the Core program going on by members. Those crafty little members! Nope, can't grind oats into out flour.

Don't get mad at WW, the Core program was intended to be simple and basic, to teach us to get in touch with our satiety signals, and get us to eat Mother Nature's foods rather than conveyor belt foods.

This was posted by a 'supposed' leader at the official W/W site.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:10 PM   #2  
CIN

Default Kelly.an answer back!

Kelly,
'
Thanks a million.
I just received this exact list from the training dept of WWers and was going to attempt to list it all but have a busy afternoon and wasnt sure if I could.

Thanks so much............

Wow...........a lot .isnt it?

Cin~
Old 09-10-2004, 02:47 PM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

You are welcome CIN (See we really do get along - LOL). I just wanted to get a verify that yes it was accurate. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:35 PM   #4  
Closed

Thanks Kelly, very important information......Thanks CIN.....
I have marked by CFC accordingly.

One question.........to either of you.......

Cous Cous and Barley (prepared as soup dish) are either of these unlimited??
I understand about the portion control, but am courious, as I am reading Pg24 in the GS book and they are NOT hi-lighted so I am thinking to do NOT fall in the same category as B.rice, Potatoes and WW Pasta...

Thanks !!
Old 09-10-2004, 03:39 PM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

My leader (CIN correct me if I am wrong) says couscous and barley are not the same in the limited like rice, pasta, and potatoes. She says the barley is a grain thus doesn't fall into that category and the couscous (while techincally is a pasta) doesn't fall into the usual pasta category.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:02 PM   #6  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

So this is true? Egads I am so confused. LOL
Old 09-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #7  
Closed

Thank you Kelly, I am very satified with your answer and understand.
You seem very knowledgeable so hopefully I can pick your brain when the need arises.
Seems some are making this SOOO confusing and I just don't understand why. I am trying it, 2nd day, and doing well, but then when I read post on other boards the things some come up with confuses the heck out of me and I start second guessing myself.
Things like, if you make this core item with that core item then it isn't a core item. So any light you can shed on this would be so much appreciated.
Thanks for your knowledge.............Linda
Old 09-10-2004, 04:37 PM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

From what I understand (CIN correct me if I am wrong) if it is a totally core ingredient where you don't process it (such as making oat flour from oat bran) it is still Core but if you process the ingredients into something else it isn't. Clear as mud!

CIN and I are always around although she is the leader not I!
Old 09-10-2004, 05:22 PM   #9  
CIN

Core Guidelines are best taken as simple as posisble. If it is NOT highlighted it is not a limited item. Use common sense and moderation and you cannot go wrong.

To be honest I think some are making it harder than it is................trust your material.....enjoy the foods you like!

Kelly is very knowledgeable..many of you are! We all are!
We are still all learning....if you are losing you are on the right track....dont worry about it! Experiment with some new things...........enjoy the weight loss journey!

Weight Watchers is one of the most forgivable plans I have ever been on.
It does not require perfection. Small changes add up! So go for it & most of all relax!

I am fascinated with all the ideas people have had in here! They are all great!

Enjoy!

Cin~
Old 09-10-2004, 05:39 PM   #10  
Closed

Thanks for the info CIN....indeed some people really are making it sound more confusing than what I thought it was, and I start second guessing myself.
Just when I think and know I have it, I read some post that blows my theory away. I think I really understand Core now as I read and reread my books and other material I have.

Instead of them trying to think of ways to make this food item out of that food item, just follow the guidelines and it all is so simple. Well at least that is what I think. I don't have the head to think that deep
I was really considering not doing it after tomorrow because of things I have read.

I do want to ask one thing on this board that I posted at another which you pop in on..........I am a little fearful of w/i tommorrow....because I have done Core the past two days and feel soooo full. I have NOT wavered from the program or the portion control (I am very good about that) but I am NOT feeling hungry at all and that perhaps weight is staying on me :-(
I have been refocused for 11 weeks... a lifetime Member fell off the wagon and have lost 15 lbs.......3 to go to my WW goal, but CIN I haven't felt this full in the past 11 weeks as I have these past 2 days. I am scared and don't know what to expect.
Any input would be appreciated........and THANK YOU....
Old 09-10-2004, 07:29 PM   #11  
CIN

LindaJL
Have Faith in yourself and the plan.................and post and do let us know!
We will be waiting!

Cin~
Old 09-11-2004, 07:19 AM   #12  
Closed

Default from LindaJL

Hello CIN..........well here's my story............SAD but TRUE with an explanation of sorts..... Oh before I forget my Log in has changed.....I am now Sunny734!!

Well I weighed myself early this AM, and the scale told me +.5
I have been thinking about it all morning trying to figure it out. Looking back at my journal, first --- Sat-Wed I did not meet my Target points at all (20) due to complications of Hurricane Frances. Then on Thurs and Friday I did Core, eating things I would not normally ever choose...like 94%FF popcorn, Cornmeal to coat my fish, Brown Rice, all Egg Salads mixed with Chicken breast......... controlled however, but nevertheless. I told my husband I feel TOO full and I think I mentioned it here too. I ate things I never do but I have learned from this.........Just because it is on the Core List, doesn't mean we HAVE to eat it. That is why all these post about making this food item out of that food item make me nuts (hahaha)
I have learned that I should just stick with what I do eat and keep it Core friendly. I am still writing down and counting the pts, but I think with my new week starting I'll just journal what I put in my mouth. I can't promise I won't keep track but I'll try. I NEED to know or else how will I know what I did wrong or right!!
Anyway believe it or not I am ok with what the scale told me this morning but I will w/i tomorrow as usual. I will be more cognisiant of what I am doing and STAY away from those items which I don't normally eat.
I will not give up, I have come a long way to get me back to my WW goal, with 3 more lbs to go. I am a lifetime member who SWORE she would never "let that happen to me" Duhhhh.....not.........I did and I am paying for it now. I worked over a year to get off 55 lbs and had the nerve to gain some back....what the heck was I thinking??????? Well I am down 15 (well now today 14.5) lbs and I WILL continue on my journey......
Hope the rest of you are having a good OP day and or week..........till next time............L.J
Old 09-11-2004, 08:20 AM   #13  
14 lbs to go!!

I haven't switched to Core yet but intend on journaling 'points' for the first couple of weeks so I can get an idea of where my satisfaction level should be. My portion control was out of whack until I started WW and I am fearful that I wouldn't know when to quit eating again. Hang in there, you will figure it out and 'get er done'
Old 09-11-2004, 10:14 AM   #14  
Running Babe

Trusting yourself and your appetite is a challenge. I have hypoglycemia and have had a two year bout of binge eating disorder. I know when I am not hungry and that is what I go by, after a while I am noticing I am feeling very satisfied/slightly full. I do have to be careful though.

LJ: I have felt too full a couple of times since being OP, so I guess jjust take it as a learning process and have a little less next time. I think that is one of the big principles of the core program is learning what full/satisfied/hungry are again and to learn that we have to do that by trial and error.

I remember a few years ago having a meeting on learning what full/satisfied is. Hopefully more meetinsg will be like that to come.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 09-12-2004, 11:07 AM   #15  
Closed

Hey Ali............well to let you know the result of the w/i today (Sunday) the scale read the same.....+ .5
I am not happy because I knew I did everything right. I did not cheat, did not waver from the program did not OVER eat. I am hoping combining the two within the same week was the reason for that !!
I am still on the fence about which I am doing but looks like all things point to Points.
Who knows......I am so darn confused............but I will not give up...these 3 lbs, NOW 3.5 lbs will COME off whether they want to or not (hahaha)
How are you doing?? Which program are you working......let me know how things are going..........talk to you later..................L.J
Closed Thread