Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 06:12 PM   #1  

Question Refridgerator/TV

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on LG's new fridge/TV combo? I find myself intrigued and horrified by this whole line of thinking. I do love the commercial, though, showing the family--especially the son-- mindlessly stuffing food while zoning in front of their shows.

Can you see this company being sued in a class action suit in 5 years for "making people fat?"
Old 09-08-2004, 02:38 PM   #2  
resident lactivist

I honestly haven't seen it, but I can't say the concept surprises me. La-Z-Boy, I think it is, has a recliner with a refrigerated compartment in one of the arms, and I've seen plenty of ads and articles encouraging people to put a mini-fridge in their family room (which should properly be called a television room for the target audience). IMO the problem goes far beyond obesity into a deeper cultural and psychological thing...I mean, for so many Americans, television is culture, and time spent with family equals time spent watching the telly and not really interacting with one another...
Old 09-08-2004, 06:42 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

My former sister-in-law actually had a fridge in the master bedroom...this was 15 years ago and I thought, wow - how convenient. A little TOO convenient for moi actually! The bedroom is one of those places that is 'off limits' for me as far as eating goes...there and the bathroom.

Wasn't that recliner on "Friends"?

I think I saw that recliner at Levitz' a year or so ago...
Old 09-08-2004, 08:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Exclamation

I know,..when I saw that commerical I told hubby, "wow, that is soooo wrong, look at those people. They aren't even paying attention to what they are eating" People woder why there are so many obese people and children when families center their lives around the tv.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:15 AM   #5  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I thought it would be great for watching cooking shows though!
Old 09-09-2004, 08:34 PM   #6  
deleted2

I'm not anti-television or anything, but I shudder every time I see that commercial. Something creepy about the whole concept--maybe it's the way the people in the ad look like mindless zombies?

Old 09-09-2004, 10:55 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

thank you thank you thank you... i was starting to think that i was nuts for believing that this was a BAD idea.... whew!!!!!
Old 09-20-2004, 09:20 PM   #8  

Yes, I saw that commercial too, and it absolutely makes me sick.... I mean, if you are so addicted to television that you can't take 30 seconds to walk from the fridge where you got your food to the living room to watch TV there is something seriously wrong there...
Also, did you catch the "tag phrase" they use in the commercial too? Something along the lines of, "bringing your 2 greatest loves together" or something of that nonsense??

Completely scary.... I'm pretty bad, but mark my words, there will NEVER be a fridge in my house with a television inside it....
Old 09-21-2004, 10:17 AM   #9  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

I like the idea. If I had the extra money I would have one. I would like it because I am cooking supper when the news is on and I hate to miss the local news because I HAVE to be in the kitchen. I dont see anything wrong with it.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:39 PM   #10  
it's always something

I finally saw the commercial, and it was kind of frightening! They showed a father and son eating ice cream while "in the zone". How easy is it to finish off a whole pint of ice cream while watching something intense on tv, and you don't even remember having eaten it? I think it's ok to watch the news or cooking programs, etc, though.

However, I would never have one, for more practical reasons. What happens if the tv needs repair? Would it be an easy or an expensive thing to fix? This is the same reason I won't buy a tv/dvd combo, lol. If one breaks, I don't want to lose the other while it's being repaired.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:15 PM   #11  

Why yes, I had a few thoughts on LG's new fridge/TV combo.

"OMG, what are they thinking?"

and

"This is a joke, right? Tell me this isn't a real ad?"

for all the reasons stated more eloquently above.

Linda C.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

IMO, the ad is a nightmare. I was watching 7th Heaven last night and Danny was playing on the computer. When I saw that commericial, I swear I about fell off the couch! (FYI, I wasn't eating..I was having a cup of coffee...kudos to me for swearing off the kitchen after dinner! ) LOL

The father and son are ZONING in front of the refrigerator! Eating. I was thinking 'OMGOsh!'

Remember on Grimlins--where Billy's Mom is cutting onions and watching It's a Wonderful Life? THAT makes sense...watch TV while you're prepping food (just don't cut your finger off),. but that whole combo deal..I dunno.

And with the rest of you..what happens if the TV goes..does fridge go too? Remember how they have those TV/VCR combo deals where when one goes, they are both glorified paper weights? LOL
Old 09-28-2004, 02:46 PM   #13  

Hi everyone I saw this ad also. Who ever thought of this Idea should be ashamed. their is no reason for if.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:26 PM   #14  
CAcritter

Okay, not associated with any company offering the tv/frig combo, let me play devil's advocate....

I have had tours of the comanies that are creating our future and some of the things I have seen would add a cool purpose to the tv function.

What if each grocery item you put in your frig (or removed) had a tag that allowed that computer (or tv-the difference if very small these days) to inventory the stuff in your frig? A quick email home would tell you what's in your frig before you got home. Or what if you scheduled it to send a note to you or your husband or even your grocer when you need more milk, or kid's formula?

What if the cooking show you were watching could send a signal that would be able to offer you a shopping list - after checking on what's in your frig - for whatever is being cooked?

The stuff we saw was not that far from that reality. Right now walmart uses these tags to inventory the pallets as they are delivered so it is a new industry option. How soon will it be until it becomes a consumer product? A few years, maybe?

=) Life moves on and our kids are so used to being in constant touch with computers and instant access thru technology that where they will take us will be a wild ride.

Sort of like what we did to our parents? What goers around comes around I think.

ann
Old 10-28-2004, 07:08 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

You bring up a very good point. How lost were some of you when you didn't have power during storms, etc? I know I was...
Closed Thread