Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 05:29 AM   #1  
Meg

Default LWL #169 -- Week of September 6 - 12

Happy Labor Day (for those of us celebrating) and happy new week to all! Hope no one actually has to labor today.

If you haven’t yet, please go back and read SusanB’s post from yesterday afternoon — the Extreme Driveway Workout . Now there’s some ingenuity for you — no gym — no weights? No problem!! Just grab a car and cement block and you’re there, baby! Loved it! How do your legs feel today? And why is Stairway to Heaven always #1?? Was Layla #2?

Ilene — congrats on the running! You ARE becoming the cardio queen.

Linda — at arranging your schedule around the gym schedule. No, you’re not the only one. I have the class schedule (marked up with highlighter pen) on my frig door for ease of consultation when I’m planning my day. My ideal would be a 24 hour operation, like Karen’s 24 Hour Fitness. A number of people here have been agitating to get our gym opened earlier in the AM but the corporate management won’t go along (gee, they might have to pay someone minimum wage for an extra hour to man the desk!).

I tried Pilates for the first time yesterday, in a studio with all the Pilates contraptions. There were two machines called Reformers that use adjustable springs for tension (with moveable sleds kinda like a leg press) and one called the Cadillac (more like a flat bed with springs). Plus other assorted strange devices that we didn’t get to try. I got a full body workout bouncing back and forth between the three machines — one of the Reformers was used strictly for cardio (jumping while lying down, if you can picture it) — between sets on the other Reformer. The emphasis is on core strength and lengthening muscles and perfect posture. All I can say is that it was a humbling experience and I can’t wait to try it again.

But today will be traditional Leg Day here, usually also a humbling experience for me. And cardio and clean eats. I had some Chinese food with the family on Saturday night and still look and feel like the Pillsbury Dough Girl so lots of extra water is on the menu.

Any picnics or barbeques?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:36 AM   #2  

Hi Ho from Indiana. Last week Mel asked whether the Hoosier state had fallen off the map -- nope, we're still hot, humid and here, but the weatherman's promising a slight cooling trend tomorrow. I'm ready for sweather weather.

Day off today, but I'm building a new web site so I'll probably mess with it some. The joy of working at home is that the phone doesn't ring. Since I'm not going to campus no weights today, but later on I'll do a yoga workout and maybe take a stroll.

There have been so many great threads in the last week or so ... the "lifting to failure" thread helped me to think through what I do, and on Friday, I upped my weights significantly. I was exhausted afterward, and made some bad food choices when I wound up totally starving, but overall I loved it, learned from it, and am eady to try it again!

And then, there was Jack who said, "Life is something that goes in cycles. Strong, Weak, Happy, Sad. The only thing I know that hasn't let me down since I embraced this new way is the feeling I get when I push hard and the iron resists. I push harder and it gives way. I feel my muscles extend and the feeling of doing fills me. Some things can't be compared with anything else. The feeling of crawling on your back under a barbell on a Smith machine and placing your hands on it and lifting until you have to reach deep inside is unlike anything I've ever had before. The rush of accomplishment when you slide an extra couple plates on the bar and handle them borders on something almost holy. The feeling of getting up from a bench and replacing plates after tearing fibers has to be experienced. There is a sweetness even in the sweat that covers you after disciplined resistance exercise doing cable crossovers. Where was I for so long? How could I have missed out on these feelings as a young man? How could I have been so stupid?"

To which I say, amen. But it wasn't being stupid Jack. It was not knowing. I suffered through years and years of gastly physical education classes -- always the last pick on an unrelenting series of teams -- softball, volleyball, soccer. Folks, I can't hit the broad side of barn with a volleyball. Result: I grew to loathe any kind of sport. Until I discovered the gym and learned that there were, indeed, things I could do. And love. Why no one could have helped me discover this probably doesn't warrent discussion, but I'm so grateful to have stumbled across this path.

Over on the maintainers thread, Karen posted Tom Venuto's newletter on Steps of Maintenance. Great great thread. And within that letter, Venuto posted a link to a place I'd never been before: "Become the Journey," created by Jeremy Likness. I'll go back there again, but for now let me just quote one thing that Likness says,"

"It doesn't matter when you reach that magic weight or fit into that special pair of shorts. What matters is keeping the dream alive every day. Live the good life. Strive for excellence. Excellence is not perfection; it is the pursuit of greatness – it is perfecting the process of becoming your best. I remind myself of the dream to be my best each and every day, because I know when the dreams end, there is no more greatness." From "The Pursuit of Greatness" By Jeremy Likness.

I think that's so great I'm going to add part of it to my signature.

And with that, gotta go. Meg, I'm so glad DS is home; to anyone in Florida, I hope you're OK. To everyone here, have a great day.

Affectionately,
Old 09-06-2004, 02:55 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey y'all!

Been HOT here in the Bay Area this weekend...hot and busy! This morning, I had the luxury of sleeping in (until almost 7 am) then hit the gym for 2 hours - I might go back again this afternoon - or maybe go get a pedicure...hmmm . We have absolutely NO PLANS today, other than Jim riding his bike a bit later.

Meg - I KNEW you'd enjoy Pilates! I don't think it's a subsitute for weight training and cardio (despite the commercials for Winsor Pilates which imply as such) but it's an EXCELLENT addon to both. Most of the Pilates I do is matwork, which can kick your booty just as well as the Reformer can (we don't have the Cadillac where I take classes, and only one of the instructors is certified for Reformer right now). I really look forward to my Pilates classes - before I gave my ab workouts really short shrift, but now when I do my 'floor exercises' during my AM gym workouts (usually after weights and cardio - mostly stretching with some abs thrown in) I do some Pilates moves - The Hundred, Single Leg Stretch, Teasers, Boomerang, and some Side Kick Series are some of my favorites. And I've DEFINITELY noticed a difference in my riding since starting Pilates back in June!

As soon as it cools down later this afternoon, I'm planning on making a ton of chicken. Like Meg, I ate a lot of salty food on Saturday (Jim and I were at a BBQ with the usual fare) so I'm drinking a lot of water to make up for that, also because it's so darn hot!
Old 09-06-2004, 03:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Thank you, thank you ... I'd take a bow but I can't my butt hurts! No, #2 was something by Pink Floyd, I didn't know it. I missed from 12 - 4 so maybe 'Layla' was in there. 'Wonderful Tonight' was in the 90's (shame) I like Clapton, very much.
'Bang a Gong' was in there twice. That's one that'll get ya movin'.
I ate sooo good yesterday. I had a 31/48/21% split for protein carbs and fats. It'd be even better but for the tortilla chips (good fats tho').
I sinned pharmaceudically today. I woke up at 11 am and thought "I can't do this again!" so I took some gravol and went back to bed. I slept until 3 pm so I feel much better and shouldn't almost pass out at 5:30 in the morning. 3 1/2 or 4 hours sleep is NOT enough!
Today is back and biceps. I do a couple of pilates type stretch things that feel wonderful! I'm gonna get DH to help me with some resistance things. How many episodes of CSI does he really need to watch?
My fellas went out for lunch while I was sleeping and aren't too interested in supper. I can graze and they can 'fix your own'. Suits me perfect.
I tweaked the cottage cheese thing cuz Iwas having trouble with the dairy. Here's what I slurped last night ....
orange jello
crushed pineapple
soft tofu
cold water and egg whites
The protein is lower but so is my flatulance level!
Have a good rest of the day folks!
Old 09-07-2004, 07:55 AM   #5  

My butt still hurts! I wish my abs did. My upper back kinda does too.
I'm drowsily waiting for my baby to get on the bus for the first day of his last year in highschool. He thinks I'm being obsessive about checking my internet haunts. Don't tell him I'm a sentimental fool, will ya?
My food was good yesterday too. About a 40/44/16% ratio. Today's not so good so far. I got into the saltines at work. My carbs are high but my fats still only 17%. I'm at 1000 cals and haven't been to sleep yet.
I was playing with the exercise ball we have in Obstetric last night. Might just have to get me one of those. It was kinda fun.
If any of you have a couple of minutes ... I have the name Lorena Funk written down here. That must mean I figured she had a nice, attainable shape. I probably found her at that leanladies.com that Mel suggested.
I think I'll go lay down and now and maybe just listen for the bus.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:58 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

G'Mornin' All!!
It's a gorgeous day in Eastern Ontario! I must do something... I certainly will go to the gym that's a given. I want to jog but it's leg day and I don't like to do both on one day. Dunno, Dunno what to do!! I hope everyone had a good long weekend, I know I did although we didn't do much.

Robin Nice to see ya! I love your posts, you always take away from the other posts things that I miss...( I miss alot sometimes! ) and you make me reflect, and for that I thank you...

SusanB -- Glad your butt is sore , I love to have a sore butt after a good workout! But I didn't know tortillas had good fats?! I didn't think they were that good because they are so processed...don't get me wrong, I do eat them I had a couple last week in a pinch... I just didn't think they had good fats...

I'm shocked no one has posted yet and it's 8am!! Well I have to go eat, EVERYONE is gone and the house is all MINE, MINE, MINE!! I it!!

TTFN...
Old 09-07-2004, 08:00 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Talking

Hiya Susan B!! We just missed each other!!
Old 09-07-2004, 09:58 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Good morning all,

Glad to see everyone up and at it this week. I did some reflecting over Friday and Saturday because my body just does not look like what I think it should look like, especially my bis and tris (always a problem area). So I decided that this week I am going to kneel at the Temple of the Goddess of Form, lower the weights and make sure I am doing what I am supposed to be doing. I'm also doing only one body part per day so I can make sure I focus, TRULY focus on working that area. Sunday was devoted to back, Monday was a chest day and this AM was legs. I found that I had to decrease all my weights in order to keep form correct except for on the legs. I hated writing those lower numbers in my exercise journal but I believe the pay off over the long run will be more than worth it.

On the food end, I had a dessert both Sunday and Monday, but I did not have full portions, nor did I take home any food from the cookouts and I hit the grocery store Monday right after the gym to stock up on things that I do like to eat. I find that I shop smarter if I go right after leaving the gym.

Meg, aren't you at Bally's? I am too and ours opens between 4 and 4:30 AM. We all take turns picking up this sweet older female employee and bringing her in to open the doors early. I love it.

Have a good week y'all and keep the excellent posts coming.

Tiki.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:21 AM   #9  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Morning all! Glorious day here and I'm going to go for a walk in a moment.

Life is just a bit busy at the moment, with no time to think and no space to do it in. And you know how I don't function very well when it's like that.

Quick query about exercise balls (aka Swiss balls?) What do think about using them at a desk? I've read this suggestion a few times and I'm just wondering about it? Any comments?

Keep on keeping on - it makes all the difference!
Old 09-08-2004, 11:02 AM   #10  
Mel

Happy Wednesday LWL,
I just got back from a looong heavy leg workout and want to curl up and sleep for about 24 hours. I expect to be hobbling for the next few days- they are already aching. Maybe wake up to eat It's misting heavily here, just enough to make it a thoroughly dreary day. I think we got SB's weather; it looks like Wales out there.

Tik- I'm with you on the bod. Except I know the muscles are there, I'm just having food problems. I really wanted to have about 5 more pounds of fat off me by today, but I kept sabotaging myself. I have a few events to get through in the next couple of days, then self and I are going to have a serious talk and planning session.

I don't know if anyone actually said these things, but they are the kind of stupid remarks people make without thinking. Enjoy!

Here are the top nine comments made by NBC sports commentators so far during
the Summer Olympics that they would like to take back:

1. Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her
snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."

2. Dressage commentator: "This is really a lovely horse and I speak from
personal experience since I once mounted her mother."

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: "I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother
and father."

4. Boxing Analyst: "Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths in
boxing, but none of them really that serious."

5. Softball announcer: "If history repeats itself, I should think we can
expect the same thing again."

6. Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like
it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."

7. At the rowing medal ceremony: "Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the IOC
president is hugging the cox of the British crew."

8. Soccer commentator: "Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got
eleven Dicks on the field."

9. Tennis commentator: "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is
that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses
them... Oh my God, what have I just said?"

Mel
Old 09-08-2004, 11:09 AM   #11  
WW Moderator

Quote:
Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her
snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."

Seriously though - I feel the pain about the food. I am throwing last week out the window. I wrote about it in my journal, long ugly story, and now I feel cleansed! I've done so damn good but I let everything get in MY way last week. I can't have that, you can't have that, none of us can have that. With that said, time for UBWO. My favorite!
Old 09-08-2004, 11:12 AM   #12  
WW Moderator

Susan! I'd love a sore butt. Care to share your workout?
Old 09-08-2004, 02:13 PM   #13  

Default Back from vacation, now onto the real world!

I am back and in the midst of clearing out my desk and my house. The trip to Nova Scotia was great, can't say enough about the people, place or food. We had a wonderful time, tent blew over only once, but hey you have to have a story.

I am exhausted and I think I am fighting something, though the 15 hour day yesterday may have something to do with it.

DH is planning on reupping at the gym and I am quietly investigating babysitters, would be a great new Friday evening date night routine I think.

Anyway, more later, moving back into my routine, pure cardio tomorrow is on the schedule.

You guys have been busy while I was away, can't wait to catch up.

Liza
Old 09-08-2004, 03:10 PM   #14  

Oh I need to catch up ... Jennifer? squats, lots and lots of walking lunges, side leg raises (lying and standing), single leg calf raises until I almost fall down the stairs. I walk compulsively. I really need to have music or watch TV, I need to think about something else or I stop too soon. I wasn't really going til failure at first. I thought I was ... I need to study up on the inner thigh now, hmm ...

Lanaii? The tortilla chips are called Amigos. They're made by Bayshore foods in Bradford. Whole grain, stone ground corn, canola oil, sea salt and calcium hydroxide.

Shoulders and arms today. Tomorrow I'm off work, so I'm going hunting for protein powder. Shopping, yes!

Last edited by srmb60; 09-08-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:16 PM   #15  

Hello LWL,

It really is a beautiful day, went out this morning to put some trash out and it was so lovely that I went back in, grabbed the dog and my keys and went for a walk. The sun was just starting to rise while I was walking so I got to enjoy a b e a u t i f u l Arizona sunrise and certainly started the day off on a wonderful note. When I get home this evening I'll do my UBWO since I was out enjoying mother nature this morning. Jennifer, I'm with you I do love that workout and I'm really starting to feel the increased strength, I love it.

TTFN
Closed Thread