Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 10:29 PM   #1  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hi everyone.... just a quick story which I hope will inspire some of you.

The last year of my life has been very depressing. My OB/GYN found a tumor and put me on the pill to control my hormones and stop the tumor from growing. My weight before going on the pill was 245. Within a month of going on the pill I was up to 258 and getting more and more depressed as the days went on. I had dropped out of WW the year before (1999) and had no desire to get healthy.

My biggest mistake was that even though I was so heavy, I took no pride in my appearance. I let my hair grow long with the stupid idea that if my body was so large - my hair should be bigger to offset it. I wore little to no makeup and no form fitting clothes... not that there are many in a size 26 anyway.

My benign tumor (thank God) was removed in March and I spent the last 6 weeks at home recovering from the surgery. I began watching "A Makeover Story" on the Learning Channel TLC each afternoon. I was amazed at some of the transformations. I joined WW on 3/24 at 239 lbs.... I went off the pill after the surgery and dropped that water weight immediately and then continued to just try to eat better until I got the WW plan in my hand. I called my hairdresser and asked for a makeover before I returned to work.

She cut my hair short - and changed it from brownish red to an auburn with blonde highlights. My hair was always very curly and now it's straight. She showed me exactly how to apply my makeup and she mixed up a foundation which matched my own skin tone - I'm 36 and never was really "taught" how to apply my makeup. I then went out and bought some causual work clothes in nice styles - I didn't just order online any size 26 I found... I actually went to 5 stores and tried things on to see what looked nice on me. I haven't been in a dressing room in years.

I went back to work yesterday at 232 lbs (22 lbs less than when I left 7 weeks ago). I felt great in my new clothes and my new look. I am amazed at the response I got as well. I am still 232 lbs and yet so many people have told me how great I look. I've heard descriptions like "polished", "professional", "trendy" and today one of the guys even said "sexy". WOW! One girl came up to the copy machine and said "Kim? - Oh, I didn't even recognize you - Wow you look great!" It has given me such a boost and I recommend everyone on this board to do something to shake your life up a bit. I was so afraid to cut off my 14 inches of hair - but now that it's at ear length I am amazed at how free I feel and that I don't look heavier because my hair is short and my body large. It was almost like I was hiding behind the curly locks.

Sorry this is so long... I just wish someone would have pushed me to do this a year ago - I probably wouldn't have had such a depressing summer!
Happy Summer everyone!
Kim

Last edited by Kim in NJ; 04-24-2001 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2001, 08:23 AM   #2  

Kim: What a great story. Thanks for reminding some of us to go do good things for ourselves NOW, instead of waiting "until the weight is off".

2oM (Annie)
Old 04-25-2001, 11:05 AM   #3  

Kim,

I thought you were describing me in your post. Right now I weigh 286 which is my highest (non pregnant) weight but I have let my hair grow longer ( it used to be short and styled) I don't wear that much make up anymore (since I've become a stay at home mom) I wear loose clothes (stretch jeans and tee shirts) everyday. Reading you post has gotten me thinking about making a hair appointment. My husband was looking at old pictures last night and he saw one with my hair short and said he really liked it like that and that I should cut it again. Maybe I could use a cut and color! I'll wait on the clothes because I will be losing weight.
Thanks for the inspiration!
Nancy

P.S. I'm happy to hear that everything is OK
Old 04-26-2001, 08:08 AM   #4  
That darlin' Texas gal!

Default This was me, too!

Howdy all,
This looks like a series of "True Confessions!"

I spent time with very little effort to try and make myself look attractive. And I didn't even have the excuse of no make-up experience. Even got to the point that I "forgot" to bathe. Why bother? I would still be a fat pig, just a clean one.

Even when I started WW, the hair was my crowning glory, so to speak. The truth was I was hiding behind it and it happened to look ok long. But, when my hairdresser suggested a shorted look for the umpteenth time I took the plunge. And got a huge stream of compliments along the line of "something's different".

My WW leader often reminds us that when nothing is happening, try something different. This was certainly a great idea for me, hairwise.

Super topic. Thanks for posting!
Old 04-26-2001, 11:04 AM   #5  
Senior Tortoise

True confessions, indeed! Way to go on valuing yourself NOW, Kim, rather than waiting until you're thinner and therefore somehow more "worth it."

I did the same thing for years without really realizing it. Then one day I read something that truly changed my life. It was in a book called "Diets Don't Work," and it said to make a list of all the things you were putting off doing until you were thin. Then -- go out and start doing each one! It was scary, but I did it. I paid more attention to my makeup. I bought clothes that made me feel pretty. I joined a health club, and even used the jacuzzi in the nude! (It was single-sex.) I got a bathing suit and went to the beach. I wore my hair up. Finally -- I flirted a little.

And guess what? People started treating me differently, just as you're finding now. Men started asking me out -- me, who hadn't had a date in years and who was now at the heaviest I'd been in a decade (about 200 pounds). Eventually, I met the man who would become my husband, who fell in love with me and married me when I was 220. My weight has never been an issue for him.

I will say that I wasn't able to do any of this until I'd sorted through some other issues first. I just couldn't have done it. But now I'm so glad I did, and it taught me such a valuable lesson.

Don't wait to start living. Treat yourself as the beautiful woman you are NOW, and you'll be amazed at the results.

Thanks for bringing this up, Kim.

--Lauren
Old 04-26-2001, 02:55 PM   #6  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Thanks for the motivating story!
I haven't had my hair cut since December... doing that long thing too! I used to get it cut and have my eye brows waxed every month. (I highly recommend getting your brows done - does wonders for my face)
sometime I can be sooooo cheap on myself.

Does this mean I should get rid of my old torn underwear too? LOL

Dana

5'0"
225/??
Old 04-26-2001, 11:17 PM   #7  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

So glad to know I was not alone in how I was feeling. Shall I call and make all your hair appointments ladies?

Slim: heaven forbid we throw out the torn ones!
Kim
Closed Thread