General Diet Plans and Questions - Eating For Life / Body For Life

View Full Version : Eating For Life / Body For Life

Jennifer 3FC
09-02-2004, 11:25 PM
For those of you not familiar with these programs, here's some general info:

Helpful links:
Chat with Bill Philips on WebMD about the EFL plan (http://my.webmd.com/content/article/79/96131.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348})
Eating for Life official site (http://www.eatingforlife.com) which includes sample recipes and program basics. Make sure you read the Q&A.

Also, check out the Ladies Who Lift (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80) forum here at 3FC for information on weight training from our very informative members!

EFL Basics:
You eat 6 times a day. This is generally small balanced meals including breakfast, lunch, dinner, two snacks (which usually are a meal replacement bar or shake, or a nutrition shake from book recipes) and a healthy dessert. You can enjoy fruits, breads, etc, and it can be adapted to fit a vegetarian lifestyle. You follow the plan 6 days a week, and then you enjoy a free day.

The recipes in the book look heavenly, including Santa Fe Chicken Soup, Balsamic Salmon Salad, Turkey Bacon Quiche, Pumpkin Cheesecake, and many more. If you already have Body for Life, you'll notice that Eating for Life includes more food choices. These are easy to follow recipes with easy to find ingredients.

Exercise is recommended, as it should be included in ANY weight loss plan. However, you don't have to follow the weight lifting routine recommended in Body for Life, unless that is your goal. The EFL plan is meant to enhance Body For Life, so please do consider it.

It isn't a hard plan to follow. Carbs and Protein are 40% and fats are 20% of the meal. In general, if you have a palm sized protein, a fist sized carb and cook in a low fat style, that's the plan. It's easy once you try. You also need to add vegetables to at least 2 meals a day.

If you have any questions, please ask. We'd love to answer your questions! Most importantly, read the books - the key to success on any program!
:dizzy:

kehi13
09-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Jennifer
Thanks for the recommendation. I will implement that strategy. How many calories does everyone really eat? I am trying to get a good base line. I have been eating at about 1550 at about 40-30-30 It is hard for me to do 40-40-20 but I am trying. As for the weight lifting routine recommended ? Would you recommend doing something more? Thanks, Kehi13

LKTS
09-03-2004, 01:08 PM
I found some of the online BMR calculators (or 'estimators') which said my BMR was 1750ish, so right now I'm aiming for 1800. I probably should go down to 1700 but I'm not used to that little food yet. (I'm 5'10', btw.)

ledom
09-03-2004, 01:38 PM
kehi13, If this is your first challenge I think it is best to stick with the plan as written. Save modifications for a later challenge. After all this will become a way of life for you and you will have plenty of time to experiment once you lay down a baseline of BFL by the book. IMO anyway.

I am planning to use the labor day weekend to gently put myself back on track. The last week was basically a lost cause. Life took a turn toward the chaotic, but I know it is worth the effort to turn myself back around.

Jennifer 3FC
09-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Everybody's calories depends on base metabolic weight. Go to this site and click on BMR calculator and fill in the blanks.

http://www.hussman.org/fitness/

jacklyn
09-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Hey everybody! Here for my weekly check in. For all the newbies, I am pretty much following the BFL plan. I haven't bought the EFL book yet but I plan to eventually for more insight and the recipes. I am currently completing my 8th week on the plan (today is free day....YEAH!!! :D ) and I am happy to say that I am now down 16 pounds as of this morning. So that's averaging about 2 pounds a week. For those of you still stressing over the free day (as I did when I first started), I'll have you know that I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of them. I figure as long as I am losing (even if it is just 1/2 pound every week) I am still losing and that's the point right? I'm not under any timelines and I will get there! (Although I do want to get to goal before our big yearly vacation...but that' s not till April, so plenty of time) Hope everyone has a great and on plan day! :)

ledom
09-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Jacklyn you are doing great! You must be feeling fantatic!

jacklyn
09-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks Ledom! I do feel pretty good! I still have a ways to go..but I am definitely making progress. It's nice to not feel so jiggly, if you know what I mean :lol: I still make that Mexican Casserole pretty much every week. My husband absolutely loves it! Its pretty much become a staple in our household. Have a good one!

brittyboo07
09-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Hey everyone!! Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. Im trying to get back on track and get started with this BFL/EFL so far its been crazy for me to actually get started and stay with it but i really want to get into the program. Im thinking about maybe starting back at curves also so that i get extra exercise at least 3 times a week. But im going to go get on my treadmill in a few minutes and get at least 20 minutes in. I just wanted to check in for a few minutes i couldnt get online at work my internet explorer is giving me problems but hopefully i will get that fixed tomorrow.

Jacklyn that is so great your doing wonderful how is your hubby doing?
Talk with everyone soon.

Britt

Jennifer 3FC
09-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Britt, are you wanting to do the BFL weight training and the Curves training?

jacklyn
09-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Hey Brittnye! Hubby's doing great! Still down 30 pounds! As of this morning I'm at 17! We're still at it! Have a good one!

brittyboo07
09-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Hey Jacklyn thats GREAT!!! Yeah Jennifer I was thinking about doing both or maybe just doing the curves instead of the weight training cause they are really along the same lines to a degree. I will probably just do the weight training probably cause then i wont have to pay for the membership lol. It was just a thought. Anyway talk to everyone soon.

Britt

Jennifer 3FC
09-08-2004, 11:21 PM
If it were me, I'd do the weight training only. You can get weight training at Curves, but not in the muscley way like you will on BFL. I think you'll get much better results with the BFL way! Doing both would be bad, you wouldn't get enough recovery time between workouts for your muscles to heal (and grow).

ledom
09-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Skwigg Alert!!! She has been writing in her blog all day, she has a great Q&A about freeday. http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/

Jennifer 3FC
09-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Funny she mentioned e-diets. I bought it last week. I decided it would be nice to have somebody tell me what to fix. It was well worth it for a month, but beyond that I don't know if I will stay with it. I'm not sticking with it already - this morning I found myself cooking 4 helpings of chicken and brown rice, which is nowhere to be found on my menu. I packed it all up and that took care of 4 meals quick and easy. I honestly can't see myself buying all the ingredients on my weekly shopping list for the menu I got at ediets when most of the food I buy will go to waste. Too many ingredients wouldn't get mix/matched enough unless I double/triple recipes. Still, it was a good thing to see it all layed out and to find a couple of acceptable frozen dinners and fast foodies I can squeak in.

Jennifer 3FC
09-13-2004, 10:12 PM
BTW, for those interested, it mentioned 1/2 of a Market Fresh Turkey Ranch and Bacon sandwich, light on the ranch, (from Arby's) for a meal.

BfL_Cat
09-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Hey gals - just popped in for a bit of motivation and support, and I see that no one has been here in a while? How are you all doing?

I'm struggling to get back on track - travel over the past few weeks really messed up my program - no workouts while I was gone, and although my food was clean while I was gone, it fell to pieces once I got back - go figure.

Plan to spend some time with my EFL book and some Cooking Light mags this weekend and do some major planning. Anyone come up with some good new recipes lately?
Cindy

jacklyn
09-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Hey everyone! Hey Cindy! I have a difficult time staying on plan when I am on the road alot. Fortunately that doesn't happen too much. I know that for recipes...just something I do for my husband and I..I stir fry (with no oil) some cut up chicken, green peppers, red or yellow peppers (If I have any), a spoonful of some minced garlic and add about a spoonful of Dale's sauce (kinda like soy sauce but different flavor). I cook all that up and serve it plain or with a tortilla. My husband loves it and its low fat, although you have to watch the sodium with the Dale's sauce, but it's full of flavor. That's just something easy and pretty good that you can cook up and last a couple of days.

I am on my 12th week of the program! So far I have lost 18 pounds. I don't know the overall inches..I'll figure that out this weekend. But I do know that my waist has gone from 33 inches to 29, so I'm pretty happy about that one. Now if I could just lose it in my arms and thighs. oh well, that will come eventually! This is something that has really worked for my family and I plan on continueing the program even after the 12 weeks is up. Everyone have a great day!

ledom
09-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Hi Cindy and Jacklyn - glad you guys bumped this thread to the top. Since starting work I haven't had the energy to devote to BFL like I would like. I am slowly modifyng my habits and schedule to get everything going again.

I haven't tried any of these recipes, I just copied them from various blogs over the weekend as I thought they looked interesting.

*Salmon Burger* (serves 4)
1 large (14.75-ounce) can salmon (pink or red), skin removed
1 medium potato, baked or boiled, peeled
2 Tbs. soy sauce
1 1/2 tsps. freshly grated ginger
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
Mash salmon and potato ~ mix in soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Form into 4 patties. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper on one side. Spray with olive or canola oil and grill on each side about 4 minutes ~ Per patty: 166 calories, 19.7grams protein, 4.8grams fat (1.2g saturated), 10grams carbohydrates

*HomeMade Bars Recipe*
1/2 cup quick oats
1 1/2 cup chocolate protein powder (I use Optimum Nutrition's Whey Protein, Rich Chocolate flavor)
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup skim milk powder
1/2 c. seedless raisins
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and add enough water to make a stiff dough.
(You will have to get your hands gooey to really mix it well. itís quite sticky).
Spray an 8x8 in. cake pan with Pam and press dough in evenly.
Refrigerate a couple of hours and then cut into 12 bars.
Wrap individual bars in cellophane and store in refrigerator.
1 bar is about 16 gm. each of carbs and protein, 3 gm. of fat, approx. 166 calories.
Depending on your size and build, you may need more than one per serving, or adjust the size of each bar by cutting into fewer bars

Raylene's Jello

Here's a FANTASTIC snack I made up/adapted from others:

1 packet Sugar Free Jello - Your favorite flavor
2 cups low- or no-fat cottage cheese
1 serving of vanilla protein powder
1 can or about 2 servings of fresh fruit

Blend cottage cheese and protein powder together in the blender. While it blends, boil one cup of water and If your fruit is canned, drain and run under water to rinse off excess sugars. Divide the fruit between 4 containers (I use the glad throwaway containers - they are just the right size).

When water boils add it to jello and dissolve. Slowly add the jello to cottage cheese/protein powder mixture and let the blender run for about a minute.

Pour the cottage cheese mixture evenly between the 4 containers.

Chill for 4 or more hours. Add a dollop of Redi-whip to the top and enjoy (real whipped cream, come on - it's only 20 calories, 2g fat, less than 1 carb).

It's SO SO SO good and I can't even explain it. It's like mousse with little bits of nirvana in it. I do this with:
- Orange Jello & Mandarin Orange Slices
- Lime jello and crushed pineapple
- strawberry jello and peaches
- cranberry jello & fresh raspberries
For a real treat add 2/3 cups of strawberries to the cottage cheese mixture along with the jello and pour over fresh strawberries.

Nutritional Breakdown
About 160 calories 16g carbs, 16g protein, 3g fat

Jennifer 3FC
09-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Oooooh, that Jello sounds good!

Cindy, I have to say I am BAD, BAD, BAD. I signed up to Ediets for recipes and I'm still not cooking anything new! I might as well invest in Dannon and Quaker cos all I seem to eat is oatmeal and yogurt! I'm slooooooowly losing, but I'm happy. I will go and print out this weeks food and if there is a tasty recipe, I'll post it!

nurse2bmelanie
10-10-2004, 07:19 PM
I have a question chicks. What is something with around the same "benefits" as cottage cheese, but is not cottage cheese. It's chunky. I asked this over in LWL and they just gave me ways on how to make it better. I want to know something to replace it. Help chicks! Im starting my first challenge tommarrow

BfL_Cat
10-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Sorry Melanie, I can't think of anything - luckily for me I love cottage cheese - been eating at least 2 cups a day for over a year! If it's the chunkiness you don't like, what about eating ricotta? Not sure if it's the same nutritionally - you'd have to check. We have a brand here, Friendship, which makes a whipped cottage cheese, which is very small and creamy. I like to use that for "dessert" type recipes.

I used cottage cheese for meal 2 - cottage cheese and pineapple, and in some recipes, and then sometimes for meal 6, mixed with yogurt.

Is your issue with CC with eating it alone, or using it in recipes?
Cindy

LKTS
10-11-2004, 04:38 AM
Melanie, you can blend cottage cheese if it's the texture you don't like, or mix it into things. That said, there's no reason why you have to eat it - you can find other things that work just as well for BFL. It's only handy because it has high protein, low fat, relatively large volume for the calories, and calcium. But if you don't like it and won't eat it, just leave it out of your plan. The other thing I would mention is that the taste of different brands varies widely - try a few kinds and see if you like any of them.

I personally like cottage cheese plain or with tangy stuff, but I can't stand it with fruit, which is how a lot of people prefer to eat it.

nurse2bmelanie
10-11-2004, 07:07 AM
whipped cottage cheese? hmmm.....

Jennifer 3FC
10-11-2004, 08:35 AM
I haven't looked at the calories and protein content lately, but maybe lowfat ricotta would work. I don't know if I could handle it on it's own - probably too rich, but mixed in with something might be ok. If it doesn't have enough protein, you could try and mix in some protein powder, or incorporate it with tuna, maybe!

The whipped cottage cheese sounds worth a try. I've whipped it myself to make smoothies and also blue cheese dressing, and you'd NEVER know it was there.

ledom
10-11-2004, 09:05 AM
I agree that different brands of cottage cheese taste differently. I always hate it for people on BFL that don't like it because it is such an EASY source of protein and can be eaten in so many combinations w/ other foods. I compared CC and Ricotta last night, ricotta has more calories (twice as many), but also is a higher in protein. I don't remember it being on the BFL list of foods though.

hoosierjem
10-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. My name is Jaime and I am starting EFL on Sunday. My goal is to stick to this for the whole 12 weeks (and lose weight too, of course :lol: ) I am ones of those people that is easily convinced that each diet works, so I have tried 5 different diets in 5 months. It's rediculous. But now I am going to try EFL for 12 weeks. It's tough sometimes because I travel and can't always pull out a Balance bar in the middle of a meeting. Saturdays will be my free day. I don't mind working out; I have most of my life that is why I like this program. I can do the workouts but what if I get hungry or a meal doesn't fill me up??? I don't need to lose much; just 10-15 lbs. But those are the hardest to lose, you know.

Any tips, advice on how to get through it, and favorite recipes I should make??? I bought the book and love the recipes in there. Oct. 17 is my start day!

Jaime

LKTS
10-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Welcome, Jaime, and best of luck with the beginning of your challenge. As far as the travel, I'd recommend planning ahead as much as possible. Have healthy snacks available and with you, so when you get a break you can have your balance bar, or a cheese stick and an apple, or whatever. If all else fails, you can go to the bathroom really quick and eat in there. :)

I don't have the EFL book, so I can't speak to favorite recipes in it. In my experience, the key thing is to keep the cooking simple at first - don't make it too complex or feel like you have to make 3 new things every day, because then you'll get discouraged.

Jennifer 3FC
10-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Hi, Jaime! I rarely get hungry on EFL. The first meal or two I felt like there was NO WAY I could do this, but since I eat more often, I don't get a chance to get hungry. You'll also be eating more protein than many diets, and that is also more 'filling'. Planning ahead is a very good idea, and if you have an insulated cooler that you can take to work, that is also a good idea. Bill Phillips drinks two shakes a day. I haven't been doing that, but I need to get back to it. It does make it easier to plan meals because then I only have 4 to worry about. Turkey wraps, cottage cheese and fruit, yogurt and cheesesticks and Myoplex Lite Bars (not too many of those) are my most common meals to take to work. I also eat a lot of grilled chicken salads from McDonalds. I do need to experiement more!

srmb60
10-19-2004, 08:30 AM
I printed off the eating tips on the BFL site and stuck them on my fridge. I also printed off the exercise routine. Today is day two, cardio for me. I'm already trying to eat 40/40/20 at around 1800 cals so the work out was like a natural for me to try.

As for cottage cheese, I can't do dairy. So I use soy protein powder to bump up my protein.

Christian
11-17-2004, 08:06 AM
Hello ladies :wave:

I am on day 5 of BFL and so far so good, I am not even craving sugar so far and let me tell you ........ I am in shock :lol: I have tried every DIET under the sun it seems and just have a commitment problem...so if anyone would like to buddy up with me to get me through the first phase of this I would be very grateful :yes:

Oh and are balance bars ok???

Thanks for the help in advance :D

Jennifer 3FC
11-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Hi Christian! I hope you're still doing well! Mini meals sure do a lot for cravings. I would not eat Balance bars unless absolutely necessary. Bars all the way around have sugar in them, but if you need one, try Myoplex Lite bars. If you have a GNC near you, you can try a couple. You can order them MUCH cheaper at www.vitaglo.com - but you buy 12 at a time there, so I'd taste them if I were you. Cinnamon Roll is very good. They taste like rice crispy treats. The Body For Life bars are good too, but really sweet. I bought a few at WalMart and I save them for massive sugar cravings only! :lol:

Do you have the Eating For Life book? There are GREAT recipes in it. Simple ones, also!

Christian
11-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the reply Jennifer :D
I dont have the book yet....it is 45.00 at our Hastings store and I just cant afford it :nono: But I have been surfing the website and found a few I really like. What besides protien bars can we snack on? I know we can have shakes too but I really dont like the taste of protien powder :lol: How long have you been doing the BFL?
And do you take the day off it says you can a week?? I have been itching to talk to another person on the program ...can you tell ;) :lol: Well again thanks for the responce and hope to hear from you soon......

Jennifer 3FC
11-21-2004, 09:42 PM
Hic Christian! For snacks, I sometimes drink the ready-made shakes. Myoplex Lite and the Body For Life drinks are both good. They have the BFL ones at WalMart. At little sugary, so I don't do more than I have to. I'm warning you in advance, I'm boring! I eat a LOT of yogurt and cheesesticks. I finally found a lite vanilla that I like. Dannon Light and Creamy French Vanilla. I have that and cheesesticks quite a bit. Turkey sandwiches with mustard, lettuce and tomato (thin whole wheat bread). I also eat oatmeal with choc protein powder in it, and apples and cheesesticks, and I eat a lot of cottage cheese and bananas. There is a good recipe in the book that calls for sliced bananas, sauteed in some cooking spray, tossed with a couple of teaspoons of sugar free maple syrup, then poured over cottage cheese after it's all warm. It's a BFL bananas foster.

I'm not doing the weight/exercise program strictly by BFL anymore. I'm doing my own thing. I didn't have any weights for about 10 days while I was 'between sets' I gave back the free weights to my nephew and I got a home gym. The gym isn't really BFL friendly. I'm still doing the weights, just not the same routines. I'm doing more cardio than what was in the book. I have a slugglish metabolism and I think I need that, at least until I get to goal weight.

Christian
11-22-2004, 08:06 AM
Thanks Jennifer ! That helps alot, I will start the yogurt and cheesesticks too, it will be cheaper than all these bars :yes: I saw the shakes at Walmart and will pick some up in case I am in a hurry. I too do my own exercises but have to go to the gym not far from my house, they had a buy two months and get a month free so I am paid up and have no excuse not to go now. I also found a friend there that is meeting me 3 days a week so it keeps me motivated knowing I have her support, I see you have lost 55 pounds....WAY TO GO! That is AWSOME :balloons: Oh yeah, one more question...Do you take the once a week cheat day...and if so does it affect your weightloss efforts for that week????

Fitchick
11-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone. I did BFL a couple of years ago and loved it. I'm considering going back to the program since Bill Phillips wrote Eating for Life. That's why I stopped the first time. I'm a somewhat picky eater (don't like eggs or cottage cheese) so I just couldn't hang with it after 8 weeks or so.

Good luck!
Jocelyn :)

Fitchick
11-22-2004, 10:22 PM
yeah, I noticed that a little while ago after I posted the link. Wonder if they're going to start charging to use it? Weird...

Jennifer 3FC
11-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Christian, I was taking the once a week cheat day, but I don't anymore. Instead, I allow myself to go off plan if something 'comes up'. I might have 2-3 things in a week, and then nothing for a few weeks. The cheat day only affects you as much as you let yourself 'go'. If you eat 3000 extra calories, you've set yourself back. If you eat a regular 'normal' portion of a meal, or an extra dessert, you won't really see a difference in weight loss.

Christian
01-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Hello ladies :wave:

Well today is day one back on the challenge, I failed it the first time but hope this time I am able to stick to it.... Just had to say I am back and wish me luck guys, I know it will work if I work it ;)

Fitchick
01-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Well, I'm back on the BFL wagon! I got the Eating for Life book for Christmas and I'm so excited about all the recipes! As a matter of fact, the Pot Roast is in the Crockpot right now!

I'm assuming some of you guys have the book as well. What are your favorite recipes?

In just a bit I'll be on my way to the gym to do my Upper Body Workout. I may throw in a bit of cardio as well.

Happy New Year!

ledom
01-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Way to go Christie and Jocelyn - best of luck to you both. I have been combing over my EFL book for new ideas today. I went to the store and bought ingredients for the chicken enchiladas (have heard they are good), and the breakfast casserole. I'll let you know what I think. I also made the chocolate pudding today w/ myoplex light, skim milk, and ff,sf, pudding mix. I added a little lite cool whip and 3 or 4 raspberries and it wasn't bad at all.

Christian
01-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Glad to see this thread is still active, I know the more support we all get, the better the chance to stay focused and sharing recipes is always fun :yes: My favorite recipe so far is the banana pudding, but I havent had the book long either so there are alot I have not tried but I will be sure to pass on the word when I do. I just got done watching The Biggest Loser and now I am certain that if they can succeed ....so can I ;)

Fitchick
01-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Well, I have successfully completed Day 1! I only got 5 meals in but I will try for 6 tomorrow. I made 3 recipes in the EFL book today - Tuna Salad Wrap, Pot Roast, and the Banana Pudding. They were all good but I enjoyed the Pot Roast most of all. I put the leftovers in individual containers in the freezer for future meals.

On the menu for tomorrow: Chocolate Oatmeal, Pina Colada shake, the other half of the Tuna Salad Wrap I made today, Chicken Enchiladas, and I'm not sure what the other 2 will be. Probably something out of the midmeals category or 1/2 Balance bar. Or maybe leftover Pot Roast. :)

I did OK on water today but I probably need to be drinking more. My workout was decent but I felt very weak... I haven't worked out in a while.

Wow - I am so excited about Eating for Life. The book hasn't left my side in days. :) I find myself looking through it constantly! I am such a dork.

Have a great night everyone.

Christian
01-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Way to go Jocelyn sounds like an awsome 1st day :D

Jennifer 3FC
01-03-2005, 11:51 PM
I tried the turkey and stuffing, but it was a MESS. I didn't follow it as I should have, though. It had measurements for stuffing mix and water, but then the directions said to follow the directions on the package, so I did that instead, which called for more water. I also made more stuffing so there would be plenty/more for my nonBFL family. Well, adding more water was a mistake because the recipe calls to cover it in foil to bake it, which made more steam, which made soft icky stuffing!

If you make that recipe, follow the measurements exactly as mentioned in the book, and disregard the package of stuffing. I think it would have been very tasty had I done it correctly.

ledom
01-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Jennifer, good report on the turkey and stuffing, I have often looked at that particular recipe.

I made the breakfast casserole last night. DD and I had it for supper and we both enjoyed it. At the time I was eating it I thought I wanted something to go with it, but then a little after eating it I felt totally satisfied.

Christian
01-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Morning ladies :wave:
Well it is day 5 for me and everyday I make it I am having a mini celebration ;)
Day by day is the only way I will make it, and watching the days pile up will be a great thrill for this chick :lol: Hope everyone is doing well ...oh the spanish omlet is pretty good, had it this morning it was different but good :yes:

Fitchick
01-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Hi everyone! It's Day 3 for me and I'm doing great! I am still enjoying the "honeymoon period" with the EFL cookbook. Yesterday I made the Cookies & Cream nutrition shake and the Chicken Enchiladas. The shake could have used some more cookies but it was pretty good.

The Chicken Enchiladas were great! A healthy alternative to cravings for Mexican food. Tonight I'm going to try the Rotisserie Chicken. I think I'll eventually get tired of cooking several times per day but I'm still enjoying it right now. :)

Have a great day!

Fitchick
01-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Ok - a question. Has anyone else tried making the nutrition shakes? I've made 2 so far - the Cookies & Cream and the Pina Colada. The book says the recipes make 1 serving but when I pour it in a "tall glass" (about the same size as the one in the picture in the book), I have about 1/2 of the shake left in the blender.

I've only been drinking 1/2 at a time because that's really all I need for a serving. Is this happening to anyone else?

Getting ready for a great LBW!

Christian
01-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Wish I could help but havent made one yet, been buying the prepackaged ....hope someone else answers soon, I will be interested to find out as well :yes:

ledom
01-05-2005, 07:09 PM
I haven't actually made a shake from EFL. I make the myolite ones though - I have a HUGE glass that they fit into but they don't fit into a normal size glass.

ledom
01-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Just a follow up on a couple of recipes. The breakfast casserole only improved as leftovers. I will make it again. Instead of using egg beaters I used 1 whole egg and 7 whites (large eggs). If you make it and warm it up, it only takes 1 min. and 15 sec. - don't want it to get rubbery by zapping it too long.

Also, made the pumpkin cheesecake yesterday and I like it a lot. A while back I was making the strawberry cheesecake but finally burned out on it. In some ways I like the pumpkin better.

Fitchick
01-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Happy Thursday everyone! Thanks for all the input on the recipes in EFL. Yesterday I made the Rotisserie Chicken and the Butterscotch Pudding dessert.

The Rotisserie Chicken was ok - nothing special. I actually prefer Season All to the Rotisserie seasoning but at least it was something different.

The Butterscotch Pudding was excellent! Creamy and sweet, perfect for dessert cravings. I've discovered the secret to the pudding is making sure you have exactly the right amount of milk (and maybe a splash more). I think I shorted it a bit on the Banana Pudding and it turned out a little "cakey". It still tasted good though.

Last night I made a Chicken Caesar Wrap to put in the refrigerator for today's lunch. I'll let you know how it is. Can you tell I'm a bit obsessed with this cookbook? :)

The only slight downside is that I feel like I'm not getting enough fruit. I realize I can eat it as a carb with each meal but it's hard when you don't like cottage cheese... I know a lot of people eat it that way. I think I'll have a piece with tonight's dinner.

Have a great BFL/EFL day!

ledom
01-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Jocelyn, It does take a while to figure out good combinations of food to eat and I hear what you are saying about fruit. W/ Br.Casserole I went ahead and added 1/2 orange to make the meal seem more complete. Sometimes I like to just squeeze spicy mustard on turkey slices, roll it up for protein and then instead of a bread or other carb have a piece of fruit. Hope we can get you to liking cottage cheese because it can be a wonderful staple - won't force it though. String cheese and a fruit is a good snack.

I'm glad you are obsessed w/ the cookbook, it has motivated me to get more interested in it.

Fitchick
01-06-2005, 11:12 AM
ledom - That makes sense (eating the turkey with fruit). I will try that as a midmeal. I have DESPERATELY tried to like cottage cheese but I just don't. I think it's the consistency that gets me. I also despise cream cheese so... you guessed it - I hate cheesecake!

I'm going to try some of the EFL recipes where the cottage cheese goes through the food processor. Maybe I will be able to tolerate it that way.

Has anyone tried the dips yet? I want to try that salsa one. Is it really cottage cheese-y or does it taste like a yummy dip? I'm hoping for the latter. :)

Christian
01-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Morning ladies,
Glad to see this thread going strong, there for awhile it was stagnent :yes:
Day 6 for me, and feeling really good...need to go grocery shopping again, I think it actually saves me money instead of costing more as I am just buying things I need and no impulse cookies and ice cream :nono: Glad to see the recipe testing going strong, may try that pudding this week. Hope you all have an awsome day :wave:

Ilene
01-06-2005, 02:23 PM
My favorite cottage cheese concoction lately is to whip it up with my hand blender till extremely smooth add vanilla and some splenda, refrigerate and it tastes, to me, like vanilla pudding... To get a more vanilla taste I've adde SF vanilla pudding...

Fitchick
01-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Everyone's being quiet today! I thought I'd give my report on a couple more EFL recipes. I haven't been cooking much over the past couple of days because we've had some leftovers from earlier in the week.

I did try the Chicken Caesar Wrap and it was pretty good. Tastes about like any wrap you've had at a restaurant, etc.

The Chocolate Oatmeal was just OK, in my opinion. I kept adding sweetener because it just didn't seem sweet enough. I think it's one of those things that will grow on you over time.

I'm leaving for a business trip to Miami bright and early in the morning. Luckily, tomorrow is my free day so I won't have to worry about dodging the calorie fest in the airport or the appetizer and cocktail reception tomorrow night. I don't know how often I'll be able to check the boards but I will try to keep you updated on how I'm doing. The hotel has a gym and I've checked on the menus for the provided meals. It looks like I should have no problem staying on track. I know I can do it!

Have a great BFL day!

ledom
01-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Jocelyn, enjoy your trip. I haven't tried any new recipes but today is a cooking day. I'll be making the Chicken Enchiladas, Ham and Egg casserole (again), an non-EFL muffin recipe, and some batches of pudding, and some oatmeal. Those are the plans anyway. Thought some of you here might like this link http://www.eatingforlife.com/recipes/nutrition.asp for nutritional info on EFL recipes.

On the cottage cheese issue - I seem to enjoy it more w/ sweet combos than savory i.e. the salsa dip recipe. This is my fave breakfast. 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal w/ one scoop choc. protein powder mixed in, 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup berries (strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries) and splenda to taste.

And in case you haven't discovered this. Some cottage cheese brands are more palatable than others. There is a Hiland brand in my region that I like a lot.

dzbzsz
01-07-2005, 05:02 PM
I need a little help in making my decision to do BFL...
I don't eat meat, this includes fish, eggs. I do eat dairy.

1) Do I need both books, how does it go if you just use EFL?
2) Since I don't eat meat would this plan work?

Thank you for your help, any other advise would be appreciated.
DZ

ledom
01-07-2005, 05:30 PM
http://www.skwigg.com/id58.html

DZ - the above site has the best information I have read on the subject of doing BFL as a vegetarian. Good luck.

Fitchick
01-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Well, I'm here in sunny Miami and I miss my EFL book already. :( I'm at a business conference and so far the menu choices haven't been stellar for the BFL lifestyle but I'm doing the best I can.

Today's breakfast protein choices were full of fat so I opted for a couple of pieces of bacon and some fruit. Not the greatest choice but like I said, I'm really trying to make it work. My planned midmeal was 1/2 Balance bar but I didn't have time for it, unfortunately. For lunch, I had a portion of beef, a portion of new potatoes and green beans.

We have a buffet style dinner planned for tonight so that should work out ok. I will use 1/2 Balance bar for my other meals today.

This is really frustrating but I'm determined to make it work!

How's everyone else doing?

Christian
01-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Jocelyn- Congrats on doing your best at your conference :yes: Just not giving in is a HUGE acomplishment when put in places with so many unhealthy options and of course peer pressure. You are doing great and I know you will keep it up :)

Fitchick
01-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Christie, I'm finally back at home and I'm wiped out! I don't know what it is about traveling that just drains me. I think it's the lack of sleep I got while at the sales meeting.

I did great on the plan until Monday. My coworkers asked me to go out with them before the large group dinner. It was one of those things were you don't "have" to go, but it's best for your career if you do. You know what I mean? So they ordered a TON of appetizers and drinks. I took a few sips of a Margarita so I wouldn't be hassled and I desperately tried not to eat anything but I wound up eating 1 mozzarella stick and 1 other little fried thing. Dinner was fine but then everyone wanted to go down to South Beach. I did go but I drank a Diet Coke. :) They even put a little umbrella in it so it looked like an actual drink.

I didn't get back to the hotel until 12am (and I had an early night compared to the rest of them) so I didn't quite make it to my scheduled cardio session at 5:30am. My eating during the day on Tuesday was fine. The meeting ended around 4:30pm and I had a 7:00pm flight so I planned on looking for some healthy selections in the airport. My terminal had NOTHING except a Cinnabon, a pizza place, and a Starbucks so I ate my last Balance bar instead. By the time I got back to Pittsburgh, I was STARVING and everything was closed because it was after 11pm. I ended up stopping at Wendy's and I did not stick to the plan. :(

I chalked it up as a free meal and drove home in the rain. I got home around 1:30 this morning and slept until 11:00! There was no food in the house since DH and I have both been out of town this week and I didn't feel like going out so I ordered a pizza instead. So today is an unplanned free day. I'm very disappointed in myself.

The bad news is that I missed yesterday's workout. Today is my free day so I guess I'll make up yesterday's planned cardio on my next weight day (tomorrow).

The important thing is that I'm going to move on and not beat myself up over the past couple of days. It is so hard to travel...

Hope everyone's doing ok!

Christian
01-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Jocelyn- Thank goodness for free days :yes: You have a great attitude, and like you said, you are going to move on and you will succeed :D

ledom
01-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Best BFL saying - "You are never more than 3 hours from being back on plan!"

It's not the one meal (or one day) gone wrong that keeps you from succeeding - you'll get it together Jocelyn.

Fitchick
01-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Well, I'm officially back on track. I went to the grocery store last night and bought all my stuff for this week's EFL dinners.

This week I'm going to try Taco Pasta Salad, Asian Beef Stir Fry, Sloppy Joes, Spaghetti & Meatballs, and the Tuna Rotini Salad. We're going to make the Chicken Enchiladas again as well.

Anyone tried any of these recipes?

Have a great BFL day!

ledom
01-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Jocelyn - I have made the meatballs. I like them w/ spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti. I made the chicken enchiladas last week and plan to make them again today. DD scarfed up half of them. When I started to roll the enchiladas the tortillas fell apart so I just layered filling and tortillas, faster and easier!!

I also made the chili rellanos this week. I like that recipe as well. Just took another pumpkin cheesecake out of the oven. A slice of that w/ a cup of tea at the end of the day makes a great way to end my eating day.

Fitchick
01-13-2005, 04:39 PM
ledom - I have found that the secret to the tortillas staying together is to microwave them for about 20 seconds before filling. Put a paper towel between them if you're microwaving more than one.

Isn't EFL great? I have enjoyed trying all the recipes. I love Mexican food and I'm so glad I don't have to wait until free day to enjoy it!

Fitchick
01-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Ok... Where is everyone?!?!? I know it's Saturday but I miss you guys. :)

Normally this would be my free day but I took an unplanned free day earlier this week so I've got 7 more days to wait. The good news is that I'm not really having any cravings right now since I've been making such spectacular food from the EFL cookbook.

This week I've tried the Taco Pasta Salad, Sloppy Joes, and the Asian Beef Stir Fry. The Taco Pasta Salad was just OK - nothing spectacular. I liked it much better hot than cold. The Sloppy Joes were really good - my husband loved this recipe! I put 2 servings up in the freezer for those days that I really don't feel like cooking. Great for a sandwich craving. The Asian Beef Stir Fry is pretty good - especially if you like soy sauce. The recipe says this makes 4 servings but I got more like 6 servings out of it.

Hope everyone is still on track!

Christian
01-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Hey Jocelyn :wave:
Glad to see you here, it does get pretty slow sometimes and it helps to have another BFLer to talk too. I havent tried alot of those recipes but am really looking forward to it, this is the start of week 3 for me and I am feeling really great about the foods and exercises this plan allows. My cheat day will be Monday but I really dont want to cheat, I mean I feel so good now and knowing how bad fatty foods are to my body just isnt appealing anymore :nono: How is you weightloss so far?? Well my hubby just pulled up gotta run for now, hope to catch you soon......

Fitchick
01-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Christie, Things are pretty slow around here as far as weight loss goes. I'm not too discouraged though. This is the end of week 2 for me and I didn't start seeing results the last time I did BFL until week 7 or so.

I'm still pretty obsessed with the EFL book. I wonder if this is a "honeymoon period" or if it will last. :) I haven't really even minded the cleanup too much! I have some leftovers from the meals I've already made this week and I'm planning to make the Chicken Enchiladas and Spaghetti and Meatballs next.

I got the stuff for the Anyday Sundae but I only have chocolate protein powder, not vanilla. I wonder if it will make a difference? I'm hoping it will still be good. Only time will tell.

Keep in touch - I check the boards EVERY DAY!

ledom
01-16-2005, 11:20 AM
You know what I like so much about the EFL book? The recipes are easy - usually not a lot of ingredients. I love to cook and when entertaining will spend a whole day on one dish or another. But EFL recipes are great for a work a day lifestyle. Since I cook just for myself, sometimes my DD, there are nice leftovers as well.

I have just had a lovely winter break from work but will be headed back to work on Tuesday. My goal is to continue my daily workouts. It's fairly easy for me when I am not rushed, not so easy when I am rushed for time. They are the biggest single thing that keep the scale going in the right direction. When my workouts start to slide, so does my diet. Working out every day is my #1 priority. So - I'll probably be talking about that more, just trying to keep my focus and promise to myself to keep up the workouts.

Need to try those sloppy joes - I have heard other favorable reviews on that recipe. I am planning to make the chicken noodle soup today.

Fitchick
01-16-2005, 12:41 PM
I am fortunate enough to work out of my home - most of the time anyway. I'm a very routine person so that works pretty well for me. Traveling is what gets me all messed up.

I feel like I'm not working hard enough on my workouts. I think I need to up the weights a little bit. I hadn't worked out regularly in so long, I was scared to start out at full force. I think I'm ready now.

Well, I'm at the end of week 2 and while I haven't been on plan 100%, I feel pretty good about week 3. The scale hasn't moved and I haven't seen any notable physique changes, but I feel better! Last time I did BFL, I didn't notice changes for a while so I'm going to hold out for a few more weeks and tweak if necessary. I'm wondering if I should add more cardio. I don't walk as much as most people probably do during a day.

Nevertheless, I'm going to keep things the same for now and see if I start getting the results I want.

Fitchick
01-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Just wanted to say hi and keep everyone posted on my progress! I had a GREAT UBWO tonight and eating has been almost 100% on!

Tonight I made the Spaghetti & Meatballs from the EFL book and I thought it was pretty good. DH likes it too.

How's everyone else doing? I feel like I'm talking to myself. :) Any lurkers out there want to come out and say hi??!?!?

Have a great BFL day!

Jennifer 3FC
01-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Hey Jocelyn! The only thing I've tried lately is the Bananas Foster - not sure if that was the exact name or not. One tip - cook the bananas carefully, or they get mushy!

Fitchick
01-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi Jennifer! Thanks for the tip on Bananas Foster.

I forgot - I also made the Anyday Sundae. It was mediocre, in my opinion. I used Chocolate protein powder instead of the Vanilla so maybe that's why it wasn't great. It just tasted very protein-y. I'm not a huge fan of protein powder anyway. I vastly prefer the Meal Replacement Powders if any at all. I do much better on the plan if I'm eating stuff as opposed to drinking it. I don't know why.

I love the puddings though!

ledom
01-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Hi Jocelyn, Sorry to leave you talking to yourself! I have been talking to you in my head but I guess that doesn't help much. I was thinking about your post on upping your weights and starting exercise slow. I always start my exercise program slow too when I haven't been at it in a while. I think that is a good way not to overwhelm yourself. But yes, as you go along it is good to up the weights and intensify the cardio, it helps.

I no longer follow strict BFL exercise guidelines. I work one body part a day and do 20 minutes of cardio everyday. My workouts last 45 to 60 minutes. I keep wanting to increase the time but honestly, much longer than that and I lose interest.

Unfortunately I am still dealing with holiday pounds but they do seem to be coming off - slowly but surely.

I have a pretty good stock of leftovers in the fridge so I haven't cooked much lately. Next on the list is Dad's Green Chili (I might have the name wrong). I love mexican food too so I tend to gravitate to those recipes w/ mexican spices. The chicken noodle soup is fabulous. I 1/2ed the recipe because I only had a lb of chicken on hand, still made a big batch and DD is in love with it too.

I am workiing chest today.

Fitchick
01-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Great! I'm planning to make the Chicken Noodle Soup this week so I'm glad to know it's good!

I also have a lot of leftovers right now so I won't be cooking for a couple of days. I let DH choose some recipes for the rest of the week so we'll be having the Turkey Meatloaf, American Goulash (sp?), and one of the fish recipes. I chose the soup because it's cold and snowy here right now so it seemed like a good choice. :)

My workouts have been going great. I've only missed one cardio session so far and I made it up on a weight day. I've been working the weights harder because I feel up to it. Cardio has been good. I'm going to stick to the BFL workout plan for a while until I feel like I'm ready to branch out and do other workouts.

I invested in the Cathe Friedrich DVDs some time ago and I've hardly used them at all. I would really like to start using them once I'm in better shape. I think I'm going to start attending some of my gym's aerobics classes. I used to go all the time in college and I loved it! I will do that in addition to my 20 minute HIIT sessions.

Have a great BFL day all! I'm always around if you want to "talk"!

Fitchick
01-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Wow! I can't believe it's Wednesday already! I seriously had to look at the date at the bottom of my computer screen!

It's Week 3, Day 3 for me and I'm finally starting to notice some positive changes in my physique. Nothing major and the scale doesn't show it (yet), but I'm happy nonetheless. I've decided to follow the program exactly for the first 12 weeks. If I don't achieve the desired results, I'll modify a bit. Well, I admit I've added a little to the workouts on some days. DH likes to swim in the indoor pool so I'll go over with him after work sometimes and run laps in the pool. Not overly strenuous but at least it's movement. :) I'm also thinking of going to a step aerobics class on Friday just for fun!!!

I can't say it enough - the Eating for Life book has completely saved me on this program. We've been eating great food and I am really enjoying the cooking so far. The cleanup hasn't been too bad either. My free day is Saturday and I'm actually not counting down the seconds until it gets here! It's amazing!

If nothing else about this program works, I think consistency is key! I'm constantly adding nutritious "fuel to the fire" and strengthening my body every day.

There has been mention of a similar program on another board I visit lately - I think it's called Leanness Lifestyle or something like that. Has anyone heard of it? Read it? I was just wondering what it's about. I have read Body Rx, which is also similar to BFL but I haven't tried it.

Work hard to meet your goals today!

ledom
01-19-2005, 10:20 AM
IMHO don't try Body Rx. Too much food! Unless you are really planning to bulk up as in being a competitive body builder that is. I tried it, gained lots of muscle, but also gained substansial weight. A few people recommend BRx, but I can't and I am coming from personal experience. Don't know too much about leaness lifestyle but I think it is what we are doing on BFL only more extreme (less food, more exercise), this is just what I have gleaned but not personal experience. If you want to do some more reading I'd recommend the lean and strong web site, you can google for the address. Those folks can talk about this stuff all day long. A lot of body builders hang ou there. I am very impressed with Skwigg's blog. You can google that too.

I am feeling the effects of 3 wks of EFL myself. I am feeling lots better than I was a month ago.

Christian
01-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Morning ladies, I see you both are on week 3 :yes: I am only 2 1/2 weeks in myself and feel the same way you both do about finishing these 12 weeks without a hitch even if the scale isnt moving as fast as I would like it too. In fact the cheatday put my weight up 3 pounds and now I am hoping those fall off ASAP. Anyway I hope you ladies have a great day and keep up the great work ...it is very inspiring :D

Fitchick
01-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Hi all - thanks for the insight. I have been to both L&S and Skwigg's blog - very informative. L&S has definitely gone downhill lately. I wonder where those people post now. I never posted there - just lurked a lot. A lot of posters there are a bit extreme for me. :)

I don't think I will try anything new since this is working for me. I just like to read fitness books. I think I pick up something from each of them.

I haven't been using the EFL book in a while since I've had so many leftovers! Kind of disappointing! I need to get to the grocery store but it's been snowing here and it's dangerous to drive. Luckily my gym is in the same parking lot as the townhouse we live in! I could walk there if I really needed to!

My free day is Saturday but I can't think of much I'm craving right now. I'm sure I'll think of something!

Keep posting everyone!

Jennifer 3FC
01-20-2005, 12:31 AM
Hi Jocelyn, I haven't heard of LL, but I have heard that Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle is similar, and some people like it better. Hey, if you're doing well on this right now though, I wouldn't change!

Fitchick
01-20-2005, 08:58 AM
You're right, Jennifer. There's no need to change what's working. :)

I was thinking both LL and BFFM might be good reads though. Maybe I'll do that on my next road trip. I have a rather large library of fitness and diet books - most of which I don't use on a daily basis but it's nice to look at them from time to time. :)

I skipped my LBWO yesterday :O but I'm going to make it up today. That means I'll have to work out on my free day but that's no big deal. I don't want to make a habit of it though.

My eating has been good. It's really cold and snowy here so I'm going to make chili today - YUM! It's not the EFL recipe (which I considered) - it's a similar one that I've been making for a while. I was really annoyed last night at the grocery because they didn't have lean ground beef - only regular. So that means lots of draining and rinsing. They also didn't have ground turkey BREAST, only regular ground turkey (gross!). So I'll be making another trip to a different store sometime this weekend.

Have a great BFL day everyone!

Fitchick
01-21-2005, 11:54 AM
I thought I'd give everyone an end-of-week update! Today is W3D5 for me and I'm still feeling great! I had planned my free day for tomorrow but DH (who is loosely participating in EFL) has to work all day so he wants to make it Sunday instead so we can enjoy the day together. He works in football so we NEVER get to spend time together outside the house. We'd like to maybe go OUT to eat!! :)

I am a bit concerned about the weather though. It's already NASTY here and it's supposed to snow more tomorrow. I normally like to go out on free day since I cook so much during the week, but it may not be possible. So I think I'm going to go out today and get some fun treats for Sunday just in case we aren't able to get out easily. I'm going to hide everything from myself and DH until Sunday though (especially him - he has NO will power!). :)

Hope everyone has had a great week! Let us know how you're doing! I'm hoping to see some more exciting physique changes in the upcoming weeks but I'm going to be patient until the end of the 12 weeks. That's when I'll make changes as I see fit.

ledom
01-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Morning Jocelyn - I had a nasty slip up on Wednesday so my free day is over for the week. That's ok, I am ready to workout hard and eat healthy this weekend. Hope your Sunday goes great. DD has put in an order for another batch of chicken noodle soup. I'll be making that + some other things. My full fridge is suddenly empty!

Mel
01-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Just popping in very briefly: Leanness Lifestyle is an on-line coached program run by David Greenwalt. It's a program that you pay to join, and you are given access to the program, calorie calulators, and depending on the level of "coaching" you choose, emails or phone calls. The calorie levels are VERY low, and the amount of cardio involved is very high. People either have spectacular results, burn out fast, or dissolve into major eating disorders. It is very much a competition diet and exercise program. Before you tackle anything like it, make sure you can do a BFL challenge. There are no free days or cheat meals on Leanness Lifestyle!

I agree with Ledom on Body Rx. I did it for a while, got fatter and didn't have the faith to keep going. I need cardio.

Mel

Fitchick
01-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the info Mel! LL doesn't sound like the program for me. If I don't get the results I'm looking for on BFL, I might try it for summer but it looks like BFL is going to get me where I want to be!

Thanks again

Fitchick
01-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Just wanted to report that I was finally able to change my ticker for the first time in 4 weeks!!! I am very excited!

ledom
01-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Well you see there - your hard work is paying off. (High-five)

Fitchick
01-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Good Monday morning all - Just thought I'd report on my weekend and upcoming week. I did great up to my free day (Saturday) but DH and I were out on Sunday and he really wanted to go out to eat, so I caved... I feel really sluggish right now because of it. I also missed 1 cardio workout last week. :(

I'm not going to beat myself up over it though. Last week is over. It's a brand new week. This week will be particularly challenging for me. My grandmother was recently diagnosed with lung cancer and she'll be having surgery this weekend so I'm flying down to Kentucky to see her this Thursday through Sunday. I'll be staying with my parents. The good news is: they have a treadmill and a Bowflex at the house so I can keep up with my workouts. The bad news is: I call their house the "House of Carbs" so a trip to the grocery store is definitely in order!

In other news, I made the EFL Chicken Noodle Soup and I enjoyed it, as did DH. Does anyone else think it makes way more than 8 servings? I'm not sure I made it right... Maybe I put too many noodles? This week we'll be trying the Turkey Meatloaf.

Have a great BFL day!

ledom
01-25-2005, 07:23 AM
Hey Jocelyn, When I made the CNS I only made half a batch and I think I got 8 servings. I just measure out 2 cups which is the recommended serving. Made the Dad's Great Green Chili and it is pretty good, maybe not as good as the chicken noodle though? I will say I leave out all the jalapeno's and other hot ingredients in the recipes. I think one of the reasons I like the chicken noodle better is because of the way I prepared the chicken. I used a whole chicken, boiled. I refrigerated the broth and skimed of the fat when it hardened. I may be getting more fat than if I just used the skinless boneless breasts, but I am getting a lot more flavor and by being careful to skim away the fat in the preparation it is more flavorful w/out being high in fat. The meat is really tender that way too.

I have been doing really good with exercising. I am having to work hard on not eating too much though. I mean really concentrate on that. I have been immobilized about weighing. I just don't wanna because I haven't been perfect on the diet. I know I need to though. Maybe tomorrow.

ledom
01-25-2005, 09:09 AM
P.S. - Just some late breaking news. I hopped over to hussman's web site this a.m. via Skwigg's World of Weirdness advice. I read the Q&A page and what I read convinced me it was time to switch up my workouts. I decided to go back to the original BFL workout, I haven't done that one in over a year. Just finished upper body and it was the best weight workout I have had in a while. Kinda breathes new life into things for me.

Fitchick
01-25-2005, 09:36 AM
ledom - I know what you mean on the workouts. I'm doing the BFL workout right now but I will probably change up a bit after 12 weeks. It just depends on how I feel. I get bored on the workouts sometimes. I think I might alternate for every other challenge. 1st and 3rd challenge of the year = BFL, 2nd and 4th challenge = something else...... :)

Back to the Chicken Noodle Soup, I made the entire recipe and it made almost double 8 servings. I did measure it out in approximate 2 cup servings (a little less for me). I'm thinking I used too many noodles. Was yours really noodle-y?

For the first time in my challenge, I've hit a bit of a slump. I am still in love with the EFL cookbook but the cooking and cleanup part isn't as fun now. The workouts have been a bit challenging because of the icy weather. I couldn't get my car out last night so I did my LBWO at home. I've only missed 1 cardio workout so far and I'm hoping to make it up tonight.

I will survive!

Have a great BFL day,

Jennifer 3FC
01-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Richard Simmons said to always boil and bake chicken with the bones because most of the flavor comes from them. When I make chicken and dumplings (er...not EFL) that is always how I cook them.

Ledom, have fun on the new workout! I bought a home gym and I haven't done things the BFL way in a long time. I miss it, it was always so clear to me. My whole family contributed to buy that for me for my birthday, so I'd feel bad if I just covered it in laundry and bought a new bench. Nowhere to put one, anyway!

Fitchick
01-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Hi all - just had to tell you all... I have lost 3 more pounds! I'm not sure how it happened, considering I haven't been 100% on plan over the past few days but I'm excited nonetheless! I shouldn't be weighing so often but I just can't resist. More importantly, I can tell my body composition is changing as well. I didn't take beginning measurements but I can tell there are positive changes!

Tomorrow night I'm making the Turkey Meatloaf. DH is so excited! He loves meatloaf. I'll be leaving for home on Thursday so I'm going to make sure and have lots of frozen and prepared EFL food for DH to take to work and snack on while I'm away.

Until tomorrow,

Jennifer 3FC
01-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Congratulations!! Good for you. :D Let me know how the meatloaf turns out. Mine loves it too. I haven't bought ground turkey in ages - I hardly ever see it anymore. If you like it, I'll ask my friendly Kroger guy to whip some up.

ledom
01-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey there - Jennifer what is a home gym?

Jocelyn - you are doing fantastic. You are motivating me to keep up with you.

Girls, my life has been outta whack the last couple days. Some family problems have cropped up that have sent my stress level soaring and my sleep hasn't been good. It will all be ok, but it has got me on hold for today at least. I had to sleep that extra hour this a.m. instead of exercise - my food has been less than stellar today as well. But prior to today I have been doing good. Weighed this morning, I had been avoiding scale and I was same as last time. To me that was good because...well I was afraid to weigh. Going to try to get on scales every day for next little bit to help keep me focused. So, today hasn't been wonderful, on the other hand it is just today and not even over at that. I do not have to let this stressful time derail me.

I really meant to write a different kind of post but this is what came out. Will post again w/ something more chipper soon.

Jennifer 3FC
01-27-2005, 02:09 AM
Hi Ledom, I'm sorry you're stressed out. I know the feeling!

Here's a home gym (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=FIT&pid=00615402000&bidsite=&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&subcat=Weight%20Systems) :

Fitchick
01-27-2005, 08:28 AM
ledom - It's ok. Sometimes those things happen. I'm stressed out too - today I fly out to my hometown and my grandmother has surgery in the morning to remove a section of her lung and a lymph node to remove the cancer.

I am really noticing some positive changes though, so I'm going to keep on going as best I can! It's going to be a challenge this weekend. My mom is already asking me what I want her to cook while I'm there. She understands I'm on a healthy eating plan though, so I think I will be ok.

Hang in there - everything will work out. I will probably be MIA for a few days because I have decided not to take my computer with me. It's just too much to lug around for a 3 day trip.

Have a great weekend all!

ledom
01-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks girls - yeah I am already feeling better. I don't think I'll ever get to the point when the emotional upheavals of my child don't effect me. Though I wish I could.

Safe journey Jocelyn. My best wishes for your grandmother.

I have a getaway planned for this weekend. I do an annual girls getaway with my friends at a beautiful mtn. resort. It is a bit of a spa weekend with hiking, hot tub and lots of candles and beauty treatment, but it also involves some partying (drinks), etc. We all bring food, I am bringing the EFL pumpkin cheesecake and chicken noodle soup. I am not fooling myself that this is going to be good for my diet in terms of the whole weekend though. I have printed out, this morning, several pages of Hussman's web site for my getaway reading. On his question and answer page he addresses a lady who is having a hard time dropping lbs. on BFL - he recommends a few tweaks - I have printed out that page and when I get back from my trip I am going to try it. Basically it is limiting your calorie intake to 220 cals. per meal and adding 10-20 medium intensity cardio on the cardio days and 30 min. med. intensity on free day. I want to try it and see how I do. Surely I can give it a week.

Jennifer your body gym looks neat. Even though you don't do the free weight type exercises, do you do the split from BFL? Upper body/lower body on alternate days? I haven't in a long time. Yesterday I was so pleased with how I felt in my arms and torso. There was just a sense of strength that I haven't felt when just working one body part a day. It also felt as if I was burning more calories.

One other thing Hussman stresses is a gallon of water a day. I know I don't get anywhere near that. I want to work on doing that as well.

Fitchick
01-27-2005, 01:58 PM
ledom - Your weekend sounds fabulous! Enjoy it and don't stress too much about the eating plan. It's not like you do this type of thing every day.

I'm gone for real this time. :) I just can't stay away from the message boards....

Until Sunday,

hoosierjem
01-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Just wanted to pop in. I started EFL a week ago, Sunday. I lost 2 lbs. in the first week. I have 13 to go. I tried this diet a while ago, but it was when I was doing a lot of traveling for work, so it didn't work out. Now I have DH doing it with me :D That makes it so much easier. We have tried the Sloppy Joes and Chicken Enchilladas. They were both great. We both really like the nutrition shakes too! We also eat a lot of cottage cheese too. Gotta have your protein. :dizzy: Working out isn't much of a problem for me, and I like the idea of a structured diet (Type A personality) so I think this is a good fit for me. I am happy with it so far. Would love to hear some of the obstacles I will face as well as how you overcame them. Thanks.

Jaime

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-pinknots/luck02/lb/123.5/108.5/121.5/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

Fitchick
01-31-2005, 06:29 PM
Hi Jaime - Congrats on the first 2 lbs. I also travel for my job so I understand how that goes. I'm just trying to follow the plan as closely as I can and trying not to beat myself up when I am not 100% perfect on plan.

I have been really impressed with most of the recipes in the book. If you read through the thread, you'll see what all we've tried and enjoyed. :)

Just an update on my weekend - my grandmother's surgery was Friday. She is doing OK. I didn't work out at all during the 3 days I was there and my eating was not great. I went to the store today and picked up EFL stuff so I won't cheat until free day. This week I'm going to make the Herbed Chicken, Sloppy Joes, Beef Pot Roast, and Santa Fe Chicken Soup.

Hope everyone is doing OK - I won't let the thread die!

ledom
02-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Welcome Jaime - I am a big fan of cottage cheese too. I eat it so many different ways.

Jocelyn - good job keep the thread going! I am glad your grandmother is doing ok.

I am back from the weekend. Monday was a little rocky getting everything back under control. Got diet down yesterday w/out exercise but today I am back full force.

I am trying to limit my calories to 220 per meal. Tonight, or as soon as I have time, I plan to spend some time at the EFL website scoping out the lowest cal recipes. I am shooting for 1400 cals a day max, so an average of 220 for 6 meals might be more doable. Anyway, I am ready to amp things up a notch. And to really start paying attention to the details.

hoosierjem
02-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Hey girls! Things are going well for me this week as far as eating and working out. Like I said before, I have worked out all my life, so it's not too difficult for me to get up every morning and head straight to the gym. I have a workout partner too, so on those days when I don't want to go, I know I have to.

I have cooked the Herb Chicken this week and really enjoyed it. I also love the nutrition shakes. What I have been doing is using 1/2 scoop of Chocolate Protein Powder (10 grams), 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup frozen fruit (raspberries or strawberries), 6 ice cubes, and 1 TBSP SF/FF instant chocolate pudding powder (Bill Phillips suggests the pudding powder in his vanilla malt recipes). It makes the shake really think and is more like a treat then. I recommend trying that too.

Questions: How many grams of carbs and proteins are you trying for for each meal? I am going for 20 of each but then I am pretty full after dinner (Meal 5) and really don't want (and usually don't eat) Meal 6. Just wondering if my meals are too big and that is why I only eat 5. Thanks.

Jaime

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-pinknots/luck02/lb/123/108/121/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

Jennifer 3FC
02-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi Jaime, count out your calories and see how many you are getting. I would say if you aren't hungry enough for meal 6, then you should scale back the others a bit, or start earlier in the day so you can space out the last two meals. Some people eat a small meal before bedtime, like a protein shake, or cottage cheese and a piece of fruit.

Here's something that might help you calculate calories and protein per meal. I have no idea where I got it! I had it saved in a word file. I hope it helps!

The Body For Life program is a 40/40/20 eating ratio meaining that 40% of your daily calories come from protein, 40% of your daily caloriescome from carbs and 20 % of your daily calories comesfrom fat. So as an example:
1500 x .40 = 600 calories from protein
1500 x .40 = 600 caloris from carbs
1500 x .20 = 300 calories from fat

Now remember this:
1 gram of protein = 4 calories, 1 gram of carbs = 4 calories and 1 gram of fat = 9 calories.
Then convert the above figures to grams:
600 divided by 4 calories per gram = 150 grams of protein
600 divided by 4 calories per gram = 150 grams of carbs
300 divided by 9 calories per gram = 33.3 grams of fat
(The above is a daily total)

Now break it down per meal ~ Body forLife requires 6 small meals:
150 grams divided by 6 = 25 grams of protein per meal
150 grams divided by 6 = 25 grams of carbs per meal
33.3 grams dvided by 6 = 5.5 grams of fat per meal

So in this example, you would be eating 25 grams EACH of protein & carbs per BFL minimeal & 5.5 grams of fat!
And the way to do this? PLAN! Plan out all your meals and you wont be tempted to stray off course!
-------------

hoosierjem
02-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks Jennifer. I was trying not to count calories but I am extremely anal and would measure everything out to the nearest tenth or something ridiculous. I was just trying to take the laid back approach, but in the beginning I should be measuring and counting. Then when I know what a cup of cottage cheese looks like then I can take the laid back approach. Thanks for advice. My BMR is 1350, so that's 22.5 gram of carbs and protein per meal (I promise not to measure out that distinct, 20 on some meals and 25 on some). :) Thanks again.

Jaime

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-pinknots/luck02/lb/123/108/121/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

Fitchick
02-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Hi again all - it's been a tough week for me. My grandmother took a turn for the worst last Tuesday and she passed early Wednesday morning. I left here on Wednesday and returned on Monday and needless to say, the plan has temporarily been thrown out the window.

That's not to say I've been eating everything that's not nailed down - I haven't. I couldn't eat anything the day she died or the day after. I did take in a bit of "comfort food" that people dropped by because I really needed it. The day I got home (Monday), my throat was sore and I've been really sick both yesterday and today so all I've consumed is water, tea, hot chocolate, and chicken noodle soup (not EFL).

I'm definitely going to start back as soon as I'm feeling better. It's going to be tough after such an unexpected loss but I know she would want me to keep it going.

Hope everyone's doing well!

ledom
02-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Jocelyn- I am so sorry for your loss. Bless your heart. Huge emotional blows are hard to deal with. It sounds as if you have done very well considering the circumstances. To have to deal with a cold on top of your loss is too bad.

Good news and bad news from this front. Workouts are going great, honestly some of the best I have had in a while. On the downside - I think I have developed a tape worm. I have reverted to some bad eating habits, I don't know where this has come from. Every day I start off the day saying today I am not going to do that again, still haven't nipped it though. I just know I have to.

I made a meatloaf last night and steamed some new potatoes, I am going to steam some broccoli this a.m. and take that for lunch. I need to make another pumpkin cheese cake and some more puddings - not having something sweet in the house that is legal sets me to searching out the forbidden.

Jennifer 3FC
02-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Jocelyn, I'm sorry about your grandmother. :( That is good that you are strong and wise enough to carry on.

Ledom, good luck getting the munching under control. One good day under the belt will do wonders. Just aim for a day!

ledom
02-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks Jennifer - maybe confession is good for the soul for yesterday was a good day.

didi123
02-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Hi Everyone....newbie here...
First off...my condolences to Jocelyn on your loss...I'm very sorry...

I'm new here...not to BFL, but to this group...I was on SBD for a while...that was a few diets ago..AUGHHH...
anyway...here's my deal..

Did BFL a few years ago..had much success, lost weight...got comfortable and left the program...although I've kept most of that weight off.
I've gone up and down 20 lbs for the past few years..trying every NEW plan out there it seems...
Got married in October...went from about 206 to 194 mostly from running around forgetting to eat...well...here I am today at 209..YIKES!!!
I'm extremely down lately and I know it's cuz of my weight..and as we all know...each time you gain and lose, what you gain comes back fatter...
I need to get things under control again and I've come to realize that BFL is my program...so I'm lurking today...starting tomorrow...
What I'm not familiar with is the Eating For Life...how is that different from BFL eating? I think I might go and get the book at lunchtime if you all think the receipes etc are worth it....Looks like they are from what I've read...
So....anyway...
here I am....

Di

didi123
02-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Well...I just ordered Eating for Life from Overstock.Com...
no time like the present....
Wish me luck...

Di

ledom
02-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Good luck Di - I don't think you'll regret your purchase. EFL and BFL are the same, it's just that EFL is a recipe book. Glad to have you here. I have had another good day - plan to go to bed now before I have a chance to screw it up.

hoosierjem
02-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Welcome Di. I have finished my 3rd week of EFL. I have lost 4lbs already. I really like the plan. I am a snacker, so 6 meals a day is perfect. And it doesn't feel like a diet because every week you can cheat (it's all pyschological, I know). Tomorrow is my free day :D Have a good weekend everyone!!!

Jaime

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-pinknots/luck02/lb/123/108/119/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

didi123
02-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks Ledom & hoosierjem..
I'm getting ready to gear up....I was going to start today, but going out tonight with the girls for dinner and another night out for dinner tomorrow with hubby...so I thought I'd best start on Sunday....
no sense on starting only to sabotage...(which we all know even with best intentions we can all do)...
I can honestly say I'm feeling ready for this ....I have a good feeling that I can really do it this time..and can't wait for the EFL book...it was shipped and I should have it by Mon or Tuesday next week...
I"m also going to be trying a yoga class tuesday night....I need something like that I think for the mind/body connection....
I hope this thread stays alive, cuz I think I need some support...re-phrase...
I KNOW I need some support...
Thanks for listening..
Di

Fitchick
02-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Di, You will love EFL! The recipes are really easy to prepare and most of them can be made quickly. Best of all, they taste really good! Scroll through some of the other pages of this thread to see which ones we liked and didn't like so much. With the exception of 1 or 2, I would make all of them again.

My husband and I do not have children yet so I always freeze leftovers for convenient "frozen dinners". You may want to invest in some Myoplex Lite packets for the desserts - you can find them at various stores online and at GNC and places like that. I know of a couple of places online, just PM me if you'd like to know the links.

Just an update on my status - I am not well yet. I went to the doctor yesterday and it turns out I have viral bronchitis. My diet still consists of water, tea, hot chocolate, and occasionally soup. I am taking lots of Robitussin and hoping for the best. To add insult to injury, I'm also getting laryngitis... What a yucky week.

Load up on your vitamins! Wouldn't want to see you guys in the same shape I'm in!

didi123
02-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks Jocelyn...
I can't wait for the book....we don't have kids either...although I do consider my dog & cat as my children..haha...
My husband has an enormous appetite, so leftovers never seem to happen..haha
I know that my biggest downfall is not being prepared...once I have everything planned out, I'm fine. It's lunchtime here at work that kill me if I don't bring something...then I"m doomed...
Well....have a great weekend everyone....my computer isn't hooked up at home yet, so I can only post from work...

Di

didi123
02-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Anyway...today was my first attempt at BFL eating.
While I did fine in the AM...I broke down and got a candy bar this afternoon...
I know I didn't have enough protein today yet, so I need to adjust my plan for the week. I also didn't get enough water in....
Can't wait for the EFL book to arrive. I can't find my BFL book, so I'm going by memory.
Will do cardio tonight, and probably some weights...easing in slowly..

Di

Jennifer 3FC
02-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Have you tried the BFL bars? I keep a couple stashed in my desk for emergencies. I only like the Cookies and Cream flavored. I buy them at WalMart or Krogers. They are good, and they are sweet (too sweet, but sometimes that is the problem I'm trying to battle) and much better for you than a candy bar. They average $1 each. Hang in there - that first day on BFL feels really weird with the small meals. You'll get used to it really fast!

ledom
02-15-2005, 07:20 AM
Congrats on your first day Di. While you are waiting on your book you might go here
http://www.bodyforlife.com/ for a refresher on BFL. I hadn't looked at that site in a while and it looks a lot different. Lots of recipes, etc.

On that note, I got to watch Oprah yesterday and one of the BFL winners Mina Hobbs was on the show. She is featured in the EFL book and if I remember correctly in BFL too. She looked fabulous. She defintely embraced the strength training aspect of the plan, she's very muscular and defined. The whole Oprah show was great. It was the end of the 12 week bootcamp challenge with 4 of her employees. It sounded very similar to BFL (not exactly though). She was following Bob Green's new book. She also did a little segment on pilates. She has started doing that as an extra and she felt it was really helping her. You know how fantastic she is looking these days, makes one want to run out and start doing pilates.

I have made my way back to a semblance of being on program. Workouts are going great and food has been reined in.

Fitchick
02-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi again all - no, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth... I'm still not 100% well but I'm going to try to get back into the swing of things this week. I do feel a little better but I just can't seem to completely shake this thing.

I need to go to the grocery store but I really don't feel like it. Our power was out for over 8 hours the other night so I had to throw out a bunch of stuff and there is nothing here to eat! Good or bad depending on how you look at it. :)

I'll be glad when this month is over. It has been really tough. I just want to start looking forward and working to meet my goals. I'm going to wean myself back in for the rest of the week and try to get back on the program 100% starting on Monday.

Hope everyone is doing great!
jocelyn :)

didi123
02-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Hi Again...
Well, I received the EFL book yesterday and I'm so excited to start trying the receipes...I did OK yesterday, but not great. After not having enough protein during the day, I knew I was cooking turkey for dinner but I was starving, so I did the drive thru thing...YUK...I got a double cheeseburger...but I didn't end up eating the turkey.
I've entered everything in Fitday and I came in around 1500 calories, but the carbs were up there.
Jen...I thought about getting the bars, but I'm afraid I'll eat them like candy. I know the last time I did BFL they helped alot, but this time I don't think I can control them yet. I"ll have to just make sure I"m upping my protein. That's my first goal.
I also didn't do any form of exercise yesterday....but tonight I'm trying a beginner Yoga class. I'll try to get some cardio in after class.

Ledom...I didn't get to see oprah yesterday, but they were talking about it on the radio on my way to work...I wish I knew it was on I would have taped it. She really does look amazing huh? The Yoga studio is also a Pilates studio...so I might just check that out too while I'm there tonight. I think it's pretty expensive though..
Jocelyn...sorry to hear you still aren't feeling well....hope it runs it's course soon...

Later chicks..
Di

didi123
02-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi Hi...
With a couple of slip ups...I ended up with around 1700 calories. Still mostly carbs..but today I'm almost at the 40-40-20 ratio.
I tried a Yoga class last night...turns out it was beginner yoga,,,but it was power yoga...can I tell you I sweated my @ss off for an hour? Being overweight, and out of shape made it tough..but I LOVED it!! I had back surgery a few years ago, and the instructor was great about giving me modified poses. I'm very sore today, muscles were used that I didn't even know existed..haha...
I think I will stick with it once a week as an "extra"...besides...looking at myself in the all around mirrors made me realize how heavy I actually am....I've obviously been in denial....
Di

didi123
02-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Hi everyone...(if anyone is still here)
it's Tuesday and TOM....didn't do great over the weekend....but I'm okay with that only cuz it's tom...today is a new day.
Did the treadmill last night for 1/2 hour, will do power Yoga tonight.
Have to do food shopping and I brought my EFL book with me to work to go thru receipes for the week and do my buying accordingly. I"m trying to ease into the program so I don't become frustrated with myself. With all this winter weather it's so easy to slip into comfort foods. I really need to buckle down and realize that I really need to lose this weight and become healthy. I'm feeling so old looking at 45 and there's no need for it....
I did see Oprah yesterday with all these incredible women who turned back the clock by diet and exercise and it really started to give me motivation. I really need some motivation right now...anyone around?

Di

Jennifer 3FC
02-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Hi Di, I just started Kathy Smith Project You this past weekend. I'm doing really well on it so far. I learned in the strength training videos that I have had some bad form in the past!

I have a question - and I don't mean this in a bad way - are you following BFL or EFL? (or both) Your sig says BFL, but yoga isn't in it, so I wasn't sure. If you aren't going to lift weights yet, you don't need all of that protein right now - unless you like it that way, that is!

didi123
02-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Hi Jennifer...
I'm doing BFL/EFL along with the weight training/cardio. Yoga is just an added extra that I'm trying for strengthening my back from having surgery a few years ago..I was told it would increase my flexibilty.

What is the plan you are on? I've never heard of it?

Di

Jennifer 3FC
02-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Kathy Smith has a new complete 12 week program called Project You . I'm updating my journal each day as I go along. I just got started, though, so no humongous changes for me at this time. Instead of her own video, she did it this time with BeachBody.com . It is 3 DVD's with 9 workouts on them, and a 12 week program with each day in the 12 weeks planned out for exercise. It also has an eating plan to follow of (loosely) 4 meals a day, 375 calories each, 2 servings of fruit or produce at each one, etc. The workouts are cardio and strength training, with pilates and yoga once a week.

I've always like Kathy Smith, so when I read the ads for this I was excited. Right now I am under a LOT of stress, and this is exactly what I needed - something to tell me exactly what to do and when to do it, without me having to think about it, that had some variety. This will last me through my stressful period, and when it is over, I'll decide whether to stick with it or move on.

For various reasons, I wasn't happy on BFL. I think it is a GREAT program, but it just wasn't for me at this particular time. However, if I don't stay with this program after the 12 weeks, I'll probably give BFL another whirl.

hoosierjem
02-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Good morning ladies. This is week 4 for me. Well it should be week 5 but I was sick last week and couldn't follow the plan. I have lost 4 lbs so far, which is ok. I think it has taken me that long to figure out how I can get the plan to work for me. I am in my groove now so I am expecting to see some amazing results in the next few weeks.

Unfortuantely, I leave town this afternoon with DH to his grandfather's memorial service. He was not close at all with his grandfather and I never met the guy (and we have been together for 9 years). Long story, divorce, etc. But I won't be able to work out on Friday or Sun. (Sat. is usually my free day). I guess I won't have a free day this week and just try to make the best choices food wise this weekend. I hope I do ok. Then I will start up on Monday. Have a good day ladies!

Jaime

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-pinknots/slider-but7/lb/123/108/119/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

Fitchick
02-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Greetings everyone! I am still around but I'm doing more lurking these days than actively participating. After dealing with the funeral, bronchitis, and traveling for work, I'm really frustrated with trying to get back on plan.

I just got back from one trip and I have another one coming up soon. The good news is that I have lost a few pounds over the course of this month but I don't think it was all fat. Nevertheless, I know what I need to do... it's just hard to actually do it.

Hope everyone's doing well. I hope to be active on the message board again soon.