Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:17 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Red face Does anyone have CP?

I'm just curious I have cerebral palsy and wondered if anyone else did
how they handled exercise etc. . .
Thanks
Kier
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:22 PM   #2  
Swimming Mouse

I don't have CP, but many of my students do have it, or they have similar issues. It depends on how involved you are. For some of my students, stretching is all they can do, and that with assistance. For others, swimming is something they really enjoy and get a lot of benefit from. I know one adult in California who participated in the Paralympics Swimming. She apparently sets records in her sport. I don't know as much about her swimming as I do about her assistive technology, since that is what we've communicated about.
Weight lifting (low weight, high reps) has been another thing that many of my male students enjoyed, although some of my female students have as well.
My gym has something called an Upper Body Bike that you can move with your arms, its a stationary bike. I used it for quite a while when I first started exercising seriously because I have nerve damage to my ankle... that lets out most forms of cardio exercise that I can think of: walking, standing aerobics, bike, treadmill, elipitical, stariclimbers, etc... I swim a lot for my cardio and do weight lifting.
I do ride a stationary bike, but that is for physical therapy as opposed to exercise.
What do you have access to, and how involved are you?
(I'm not sure of a better way to ask THAT question!)
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:26 PM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I have access to a pt gym but that is limited to twice a week on a good week there i do recumbent bike upper cycle annd weights at home I have been doing an aerobics tape
I used to be much more buff and now I'm more like Butter (as opposed to butta) I want to lose about 80-90 lbs and gain my muscle back
Thanks for your input Mouse
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #4  

I'm paraplegic, not CP, but also have exercise issues - I do upper body aerobics, lift light weights etc, but can't engage enough muscles to get my heartbeat very high. The other complicating factor is that my shoulders are starting to hurt more as I get older - my doctor has advised me to "take it easy and lose some weight" - cause its so easy to do both at the same time!
Charlotte2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 01:35 AM   #5  
No more tears!

i have cp and diabetes and i do my arms and legs 3 times a day. if you want to buddy up just write me ok.
BBWonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #6  

Hi
I have CP. My mobility is quite good, but significantly weaker on my left side. As a child, I had several surgeries, and wore a leg brace for years. Then, after my required "course of treatment" , I grew to be a rebellious teenager who resented the exercises I had to do endure in order to maintain my mobility. Flash forward to age 43, 50 pounds overweight, and a bit frustrated that my body doesnt work the way I want it to. I have never met anyone with similar limitations. I am watching my weight, and joined a gym. So far so could, but i would love to be able to correspond with someone who shares a similar experience!!! I am new to this site, and am finding it very encouraging!!!
mamabetzz is offline   Reply With Quote