South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 02:22 PM   #1  

Default Exercise a must or no?

I know many of us exercise on a regular basis, even though it is not supposed to be required on this diet. I'm curious about those of you that don't exercise at all. Do you find that the weigh still comes off fairly easy? When I first started this diet I did 2 miles a day on the treadmill, 5 or 6 days a week. Then about 3 weeks ago I got sick of it and stopped. Since then I have yo-yo'ed between 168 and 164, but I have also been cheating once or twice a week, which is probably why the weight keeps going up and down. I'm planning on going back to phase one with no cheats, and I find it hard to believe that I will lose weight without exercise. How many of you out there don't exercise at all, and what has your experience been? I'd also like to know how active are you, not counting exercise. I, for example, do very little walking and mostly sitting at a computer throughout the day. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:19 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Diamondgrrl, I think Dr. A says that exercise is not required because he doesn't want to see people falling off the diet (or never starting) because of a requirement to exercise.

That said, I think it is very, very difficult to lose weight and become healthy without exercise. In addition, I am not sure how you can ensure that the weight you lose is fat and not muscle unless you do strength training (lifting weights) while dieting.

I totally get you on getting bored of the treadmill. You need to mix it up and do different things! Try getting some video tapes from the library and see what really is fun and motivating to do. I have some Belly dancing videos that I love, and also a great yoga/pilates one. There are tons out there and lots of different things to try! If you have a video game unit, try the dance game called DDR. I know a couple people on here use it. Sounds like fun!

If you can afford to join a gym, by all means, do it! That can be the easiest way to have a variety of choices...elliptical is my favorite cardio machine...so low impact but so good for you! But you would also have bikes, a pool (hopefully), classes, and weight machines. Lots to do and try so you never get bored! If that isn't possible, see if you can do drop in classes at a local Y...they can be cheap (mine are $5/class) and very fun! Also, see if you can go walking outside, as long as the weather is nice, or at the mall, where you have lots to look at (if you go early in the morning, most of the food places aren't open, so you don't have to deal with cookie smells, etc. ). What about biking? Going on planned hikes through the local community center or nature preserve? There is so much you can do to get moving!

Trust me...I hated exercise like crazy. It hurt, it was awful, and I never enjoyed it. This is the first time I have ever combined exercise with a diet, and the first time I have ever been on a diet for so long or lost so much. Coincidence? I think not! : I'm learning to try things and see what I like, and I'm learning that there is a lot of satisfaction and pride to be found in trying something really hard and succeeding! Every completed Jazzercize class makes me feel like a million bucks! :
Old 08-25-2004, 03:35 PM   #3  

I exercise quite a lot but when I slack off I stall in my weight loss. And I am sure I am not slacking off the SB Diet just the exercise.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:45 PM   #4  
Conquering with SBD

The book says, "Our diet, we decided, would have to be effective regardless of the dieter's exercise habits. Without a doubt, exercise does increase the body's metabolism, thereby making the diet more efficient. It is also a critical part of any cardia health plan. However, the South Beach Diet does not depend on exercise in order to work. You'll lose more weight, faster, if you are active on a regular basis. But you'll lose weight even if your're not."
Old 08-25-2004, 03:47 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think if you are trying to lose weight and be as healthy as you can be, then you must exercise, no matter what diet plan you are on. Exercise has so many benefits, you can burn extra calories, you can build muscle which boosts your metabolism, you can increase your cardiovascular health, etc.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:01 PM   #6  
Conquering with SBD

I posted what the book says, but I do have some experience with both the exercising and not exercising. I did not exercise while on Phase 1 (all 5 1/2 weeks of it ). I still lost quite a bit of weight, even though I was not exercising.

I have started exercising since then and feel better, but don't notice a big difference in the weight loss. It is still coming off slowly and steadily.

Last edited by sweet tooth; 08-25-2004 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:03 PM   #7  
Working for the Cruise!

I am one of those few that don't exercise regularly. I run this business 7 days a week.

Here's my basic weekday:
Arise at 8:30 am - Dress, Shower, Eat, etc
Out of the house at 9 am - Hour drive to Elmira Location
Business from 10-6. Sitting, walking back and forth, not much activity phsyically.
Leave at 6 - Hour Drive home
7 pm Eat, discuss day with family
8 pm Business meeting at home. My father and I work closely together on problems, we have 2 locations. He runs one, and I the other.
8:30 or 9 pm - Chill time. Read, spend goof time with fiance, tv occasionally.
Sleeping by 11 pm.

There are days when I wake up at 7 and run on the treadmill, do yoga, or a dance video.....but most days I'm exhausted. Weekends are filled with auctions and whatever time I get with my fiance. Sometimes it's themeparks, sometimes tennis. Basically what we can work in goes. I workout about 1 to 2 times a week.

Am I losing weight? Yes, but it is slow going. I am on this diet to maintain and lose, simply not to gain. That is my biggest goal, not to gain. My other goal is get healthy and HAPPY. This diet makes me feel good....about myself and otherwise. When I get frustrated with a plateau I hop on the treadmill and sweat it out. The rest of the time I try to keep my stress levels normal and relax as much as possible.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:33 PM   #8  

I don't exercise because of health issues (foot surgery in May) and I'm still losing, although it's been rather slow. I'm sure if I exercised I'd lose alot quicker.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:49 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well, you will lose weight if you don't exercise, but I think exercise and eating healthy work very well together. Wendy, I had a knee injury in May which hampered me a bit at first, but then I started weight training. It may be something to look into if you are trying to find a way to exercise. Also other things like Pilates could be doable.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:00 PM   #10  

About 10 years ago I had bunion and hammertoe surgery. I found that water aerobics was something I could do (once I had healed). Now I am fine as long as I wear my orthotics.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:06 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo
I don't exercise because of health issues (foot surgery in May) and I'm still losing, although it's been rather slow. I'm sure if I exercised I'd lose alot quicker.
Wendy, I'm so sorry you had to have surgery on your foot! Ouch! Are you feeling any better?

In the meantime, can you lift weights, either at a gym or dumbbells (or even 2 liter bottles of soda) at home? You could have a majorly ripped upper body by the time you get back to regular exercise. You can also do lots of situps...and all the muscle you build will burn fat, even while you are sleeping! : It's a very good thing!
Old 08-25-2004, 05:14 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Hi, Barb! Have you mosied on over and said hi to Flickersfan (Vicki) yet? She's from TX too.

I LOVE Water Aerobics!!! For those of you, who like me, hate to exercise, this is for you! You don't sweat (though you work really hard), and you can have music, conversation, and lots of fun! It's great stuff! Definitely worth checking out. And if you are self conscious (like Ellis was when she started hers), wear a t-shirt over your suit.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:19 PM   #13  

I did say hi to her and told here where Kiko, Skherb and I are located. We're getting quite a crowd from DFW (Dallas/Ft Worth).

I love water aerobics too but the only classes I have been able to find are during the work day I'm trying to find an indoor pool that I can use for lap swimming this winter. The last city pool closes on Labor Day. If my husband ever finds another job, I plan to get my gym membership back.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:01 PM   #14  
I can do this!

I know, finding a pool is so tough! None of the gyms here have them. Our school does, but no lifeguard is on duty when I go during the summer. I could go in the winter, and I just might...but it's a bit more intimidating with all the windows to the pool...everyone watches. I need to get over myself, just like Ellis did, I guess.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:49 PM   #15  

I think I'm going to try to find something interesting like those belly dancing tapes that I keep hearing about. I know I felt tons healthier when I was exercising on a regular basis, and the weight was coming off pretty quick. I just haven't felt motivated lately. Water aerobics sounds like a blast. I think I will look into that as well. Thanks for all the great advice. You guys rock
Closed Thread