South Beach Diet - Exercise a must or no?

View Full Version : Exercise a must or no?

Diamondgrrl7
08-25-2004, 02:22 PM
I know many of us exercise on a regular basis, even though it is not supposed to be required on this diet. I'm curious about those of you that don't exercise at all. Do you find that the weigh still comes off fairly easy? When I first started this diet I did 2 miles a day on the treadmill, 5 or 6 days a week. Then about 3 weeks ago I got sick of it and stopped. Since then I have yo-yo'ed between 168 and 164, but I have also been cheating once or twice a week, which is probably why the weight keeps going up and down. I'm planning on going back to phase one with no cheats, and I find it hard to believe that I will lose weight without exercise. How many of you out there don't exercise at all, and what has your experience been? I'd also like to know how active are you, not counting exercise. I, for example, do very little walking and mostly sitting at a computer throughout the day. Thanks in advance for the feedback. :)

beachgal
08-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Diamondgrrl, I think Dr. A says that exercise is not required because he doesn't want to see people falling off the diet (or never starting) because of a requirement to exercise.

That said, I think it is very, very difficult to lose weight and become healthy without exercise. In addition, I am not sure how you can ensure that the weight you lose is fat and not muscle unless you do strength training (lifting weights) while dieting.

I totally get you on getting bored of the treadmill. You need to mix it up and do different things! Try getting some video tapes from the library and see what really is fun and motivating to do. I have some Belly dancing videos that I love, and also a great yoga/pilates one. There are tons out there and lots of different things to try! If you have a video game unit, try the dance game called DDR. I know a couple people on here use it. Sounds like fun!

If you can afford to join a gym, by all means, do it! That can be the easiest way to have a variety of choices...elliptical is my favorite cardio machine...so low impact but so good for you! But you would also have bikes, a pool (hopefully), classes, and weight machines. Lots to do and try so you never get bored! If that isn't possible, see if you can do drop in classes at a local Y...they can be cheap (mine are $5/class) and very fun! Also, see if you can go walking outside, as long as the weather is nice, or at the mall, where you have lots to look at (if you go early in the morning, most of the food places aren't open, so you don't have to deal with cookie smells, etc. ;) ). What about biking? Going on planned hikes through the local community center or nature preserve? There is so much you can do to get moving!

Trust me...I hated exercise like crazy. It hurt, it was awful, and I never enjoyed it. This is the first time I have ever combined exercise with a diet, and the first time I have ever been on a diet for so long or lost so much. Coincidence? I think not! :goodvibes: I'm learning to try things and see what I like, and I'm learning that there is a lot of satisfaction and pride to be found in trying something really hard and succeeding! Every completed Jazzercize class makes me feel like a million bucks! :goodvibes:

chick_on_the_beach
08-25-2004, 03:35 PM
I exercise quite a lot but when I slack off I stall in my weight loss. And I am sure I am not slacking off the SB Diet just the exercise.

sweet tooth
08-25-2004, 03:45 PM
The book says, "Our diet, we decided, would have to be effective regardless of the dieter's exercise habits. Without a doubt, exercise does increase the body's metabolism, thereby making the diet more efficient. It is also a critical part of any cardia health plan. However, the South Beach Diet does not depend on exercise in order to work. You'll lose more weight, faster, if you are active on a regular basis. But you'll lose weight even if your're not."

nelie
08-25-2004, 03:47 PM
I think if you are trying to lose weight and be as healthy as you can be, then you must exercise, no matter what diet plan you are on. Exercise has so many benefits, you can burn extra calories, you can build muscle which boosts your metabolism, you can increase your cardiovascular health, etc.

sweet tooth
08-25-2004, 04:01 PM
I posted what the book says, but I do have some experience with both the exercising and not exercising. I did not exercise while on Phase 1 (all 5 1/2 weeks of it :) ). I still lost quite a bit of weight, even though I was not exercising.

I have started exercising since then and feel better, but don't notice a big difference in the weight loss. It is still coming off slowly and steadily.

AdiaFaith
08-25-2004, 04:03 PM
I am one of those few that don't exercise regularly. I run this business 7 days a week.

Here's my basic weekday:
Arise at 8:30 am - Dress, Shower, Eat, etc
Out of the house at 9 am - Hour drive to Elmira Location
Business from 10-6. Sitting, walking back and forth, not much activity phsyically.
Leave at 6 - Hour Drive home
7 pm Eat, discuss day with family
8 pm Business meeting at home. My father and I work closely together on problems, we have 2 locations. He runs one, and I the other.
8:30 or 9 pm - Chill time. Read, spend goof time with fiance, tv occasionally.
Sleeping by 11 pm.

There are days when I wake up at 7 and run on the treadmill, do yoga, or a dance video.....but most days I'm exhausted. Weekends are filled with auctions and whatever time I get with my fiance. Sometimes it's themeparks, sometimes tennis. Basically what we can work in goes. I workout about 1 to 2 times a week.

Am I losing weight? Yes, but it is slow going. I am on this diet to maintain and lose, simply not to gain. That is my biggest goal, not to gain. My other goal is get healthy and HAPPY. This diet makes me feel good....about myself and otherwise. When I get frustrated with a plateau I hop on the treadmill and sweat it out. The rest of the time I try to keep my stress levels normal and relax as much as possible.

wendyjo
08-25-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't exercise because of health issues (foot surgery in May) and I'm still losing, although it's been rather slow. I'm sure if I exercised I'd lose alot quicker.

nelie
08-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Well, you will lose weight if you don't exercise, but I think exercise and eating healthy work very well together. Wendy, I had a knee injury in May which hampered me a bit at first, but then I started weight training. It may be something to look into if you are trying to find a way to exercise. Also other things like Pilates could be doable.

Barb0522
08-25-2004, 05:00 PM
About 10 years ago I had bunion and hammertoe surgery. I found that water aerobics was something I could do (once I had healed). Now I am fine as long as I wear my orthotics.

beachgal
08-25-2004, 05:06 PM
I don't exercise because of health issues (foot surgery in May) and I'm still losing, although it's been rather slow. I'm sure if I exercised I'd lose alot quicker.

Wendy, I'm so sorry you had to have surgery on your foot! Ouch! :yikes: Are you feeling any better?

In the meantime, can you lift weights, either at a gym or dumbbells (or even 2 liter bottles of soda) at home? You could have a majorly ripped upper body by the time you get back to regular exercise. You can also do lots of situps...and all the muscle you build will burn fat, even while you are sleeping! :goodvibes: It's a very good thing! :D

beachgal
08-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Hi, Barb! Have you mosied on over and said hi to Flickersfan (Vicki) yet? She's from TX too. :D

I LOVE Water Aerobics!!! For those of you, who like me, hate to exercise, this is for you! You don't sweat (though you work really hard), and you can have music, conversation, and lots of fun! It's great stuff! :yes: Definitely worth checking out. And if you are self conscious (like Ellis was when she started hers), wear a t-shirt over your suit. :D

Barb0522
08-25-2004, 05:19 PM
I did say hi to her and told here where Kiko, Skherb and I are located. We're getting quite a crowd from DFW (Dallas/Ft Worth).

I love water aerobics too but the only classes I have been able to find are during the work day :( I'm trying to find an indoor pool that I can use for lap swimming this winter. The last city pool closes on Labor Day. If my husband ever finds another job, I plan to get my gym membership back.

beachgal
08-25-2004, 06:01 PM
I know, finding a pool is so tough! None of the gyms here have them. Our school does, but no lifeguard is on duty when I go during the summer. I could go in the winter, and I just might...but it's a bit more intimidating with all the windows to the pool...everyone watches. I need to get over myself, just like Ellis did, I guess. ;)

Diamondgrrl7
08-25-2004, 10:49 PM
I think I'm going to try to find something interesting like those belly dancing tapes that I keep hearing about. I know I felt tons healthier when I was exercising on a regular basis, and the weight was coming off pretty quick. I just haven't felt motivated lately. :( Water aerobics sounds like a blast. I think I will look into that as well. Thanks for all the great advice. You guys rock :)

wendyjo
08-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Well, I do use hand weights occasionally. I don't do much else right now cause it's just too uncomfortable. I actually had 3 surgeries done at the same time in May - a spur removed from the top of my foot, an endometrial ablation, and laproscopic surgery for an ovarian cyst. The ablation was a breeze, and the lap is pretty much healed but the small incisions do bother me when I do situps and crunches. My foot, well that is just not healed yet (still swollen and sore as the devil) and usually by the time I get home from work I'm exhausted just from being out and about on my foot all day. On "good" days I do walk my dogs for about 15 minutes each. I tried swimming but my foot didn't like it - it's not bendy enough yet to be flexed in the swimming poistion. Likewise I can't use my stationary bike yet for the same reason. But I am still losing so I'm not sweating it too much. I'd rather take it easy now and heal properly than take a risk of injuring myself, ya know?

FYI, I actually started Southbeach a month before the surgery cause I knew I was gonna be a couch potato for a while and would probably gain weight. So SB started as a preventative measure.

wendyjo
08-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Oh, and I am also developing arthritis in my left hand which is making even hand weights difficult. I am falling apart at the seams :( Being 40 SUCKS!

weezle
08-26-2004, 10:35 AM
I think I'm going to try to find something interesting like those belly dancing tapes that I keep hearing about.

Here, we have "On Demand" TV where you can watch whatever movies you want, anytime and stuff. They have an option called "Mag Rack" where it has all kinds of free exercise videos. I watched (but didn't do) a bellydance program the other day. It looks really fun. It's just choreography and stuff, but they make it really easy, and by the end of the tape, you look like you really can bellydance. (I have "step, together, step, touch. Drop, drop, drop" stuck in my head from Step 1 of the program.)

I am not the best about working out like I should.....I usually find a routine that I'm okay with, and then get bored with it. Very thankful volleyball has started up again. It's only 1 night a week, but it's 1-3 hours of cardio, so that helps.

Also, remember that those of us who have a lot of fat to lose, once we lose that fat, will have a lot of saggy-baggy stuff going on if we don't tone while we lose.

Hope that helps!

am_dove
08-26-2004, 10:47 AM
I did pilates for about 3 months two years ago, then I stopped... I tried starting again last year after I got laid off from my job, and found I had lost ALL of my agility.

I really liked it, though, all the stretching and yoga, I have the Jennifer Krieg DVDs, so there's even some ballet in it, which was really fun. I felt awesome while I was doing it regularly, so I'm going to get started again, either once I go on Phase 2, or next week if I'm feeling better.

I've found that I don't have any energy this week (day 4 of Phase 1 and I haven't cheated yet!), so I think my body's still adjusting. I don't want to freak it out completely by making it move too much just yet. ;)

nelie
08-26-2004, 11:21 AM
I do bellydancing once a week. Last night was my bellydancing class. It is a really fun way to get exercise as well as kind of a social thing. I then decided to do swimming after the class, so I did 20 minutes of swimming. Since I can't continuously swim for 20 minutes, I stop after each lap and either do some running in place or I hold onto the wall and practice my kicking. I also want to buy a kickboard, but I've been everywhere and I can't find one! I will find one today hopefully.

Diamondgrrl7
08-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Weezle, I used to have Dish Network and they had On Demand movies. I don't remember mag rack though. Now we have brighthouse and they have movies you can rent as well.. but I don't think they have anything like that either. Sounds really cool, though. :)

beachgal
08-26-2004, 11:51 AM
I think I'm going to try to find something interesting like those belly dancing tapes that I keep hearing about. I know I felt tons healthier when I was exercising on a regular basis, and the weight was coming off pretty quick. I just haven't felt motivated lately. :( Water aerobics sounds like a blast. I think I will look into that as well. Thanks for all the great advice. You guys rock :)

I'm so glad, Diamondgrrl7! :D I think you'll really enjoy it! If you poke around in the exercise forum, you'll find a long thread on the bellydancing video tapes. I have the Veena and Neena ones, and they are really great! Some people like the Goddess ones, but they seemed not to have great instructions for beginners, so I went with Veena and Neena. They have very specific instructions and are really easy to follow. The arms and abs one is quite a workout!

Definitely check into classes in your community. There are so many wonderful ways to get moving! :goodvibes: I'm looking into going on a hike with the local community center...every weekend it has rained, it seems, so I haven't been able to go yet. Should be really fun! :D

beachgal
08-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Go, Nelie, go! :cb:

Good for you, girl! :D Sounds like a lot of fun, and a lot of hard work. Those pounds are going to be melting off you, you gorgeous girl! (love the new pic!)

Diamondgrrl7
08-26-2004, 08:34 PM
I couldnt find the belly dancing tapes so I bought a pilates kit instead that came with a mat, video tape and a couple other things that I have idea what to do with. :) I'm going to search for the belly dancing tapes online tonight. ;)

LaurieX
08-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Our township offered water aerobics at a local high school pool and it was really fun (and cheap). A friend of mine was preggers and wanted to do something low impact, so we went together. She worked out in the shallow end to make it easier and I worked out in the deeper end 'cuz I like to sweat, even in the water! So, you might want to check with your local government/community center...there's a lot out there if you look for it.

I try to work out at least 30 minutes a day. My health insurance reimburses part of my gym membership if I go a certain number of times a year, so there's a bit more incentive. I LOVE working out b/c I feel so strong, flexible and energetic afterwards. I also sleep much better now than when I didn't exercise regularly. It used to be very difficult for me to get a good nights sleep...I was such a light sleeper that every noise woke me. And with 2 cats, an 18 month old and a night-owl husband, there's lots of little noises. But now, I'm sure I'm asleep before my head hits the pillow and I feel refreshed when I wake up...usually. And I used to wake up several times to see how much longer I had left to sleep. Doh! What an annoying habit! Now it's gone.

The benefits of exercise are boundless! :D