100 lb. Club - OT: Tangible Fears

View Full Version : OT: Tangible Fears

missaprylj
08-24-2004, 02:21 PM
In SwimGirl's thread about spiders a lot of people are saying how much they hate creepy-crawly things... I think fears are interesting. (How fitting as I'm planning on going into psychiatry?!?) What are your tangible fears?

missaprylj
08-24-2004, 02:22 PM
<------------ Scared of ANY creature that flies and all birds even if they don't fly. I'm especially terrified of dragon flies and birds of prey. CREEEEEPY. :df: :df:

rochemist
08-24-2004, 02:33 PM
OMG look at that pretty picture Apryl!

I don't like rodents or anything rodent like (including rabbits) When I was a kid I was rocking in a chair and a mouse ran underneath, I popped its head off with the chair. I discovered it when my foot hit something wet, warm, and furry. Since then things with soft bones in their heads that run on the ground . :yikes: :faint:

Otherwise bring on Fear Factor :lol:

(What would really kill them is I would standin theface of about anything, but can be crushed by the voices in my own head :rolleyes: )

Chris

lessofsarahtolove
08-24-2004, 03:10 PM
What are your tangible fears?
Guns.

Sheila53
08-24-2004, 05:31 PM
My claustrophobia certainly felt tangible when I got locked in a windowless bathroom and almost knocked the door down trying to get out.

Okay, I do know that claustrophobia is not tangible. I also hate spiders. All except Daddy Long Legs. For some reason, I don't mind them. Maybe it's because I used to hear that if you killed one, it would rain, and we get enough rain here. :)

tolose85
08-24-2004, 05:38 PM
mess up

tolose85
08-24-2004, 05:39 PM
mine, hands down is someone following me and strange noises in the night. Not really tangible but worthy of fear in my book! I guess the real tangible fear is when my heart is in my throat!! LOL

Annie-Rose
08-24-2004, 05:54 PM
geese (don't ask!)

SwimGirl
08-24-2004, 08:13 PM
I have an intense fear of being trapped, the worst is when I'm on the skytrain, and it stops for no reason.. I freak out..

howie6267
08-24-2004, 08:21 PM
I'm with SwimGirl on this one. Not to the extent of a train but small places. I was terrified when I had to have an MRI done. I use elavators but I don't know what I would do if I ever got stuck in one. That might not be to bad unless it was packed with people. I can't stand the close closed in feeling. I can't ride in the back seat of a 2 door car. LOL

SwimGirl
08-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Howie - I totally just discovered that I don't do too well in the backseat of a two door car. My brother was in town and we were out and about (with his girlfriend, who sat in the front), and I noticed I was really nauseous ALL weekend, not to mention I kept getting little almost panic attacks. Once I got in the front seat? I was fine.

howie6267
08-24-2004, 08:47 PM
I just can't stand to be in a place where I don't have the power to get out on my own. All though I am a big enough guy that I'm sure I could push someone out of the front seat but it's just the thought of being traped.

SwimGirl
08-24-2004, 08:54 PM
I'm pretty big myself, and pretty darn muscular, and with the panic I feel? I could move a car to get out of a bad situation.. it's funny with spiders too, because I freak out, meanwhile I'm how many times their size? mice are the same, I jump up on something and scream "EeeeeeeEEeeeeEEee", just like on sesame street!

barbygirl43
08-25-2004, 11:25 AM
Snakes

lessofsarahtolove
08-25-2004, 11:30 AM
geese (don't ask!)
Geese! :D (Not asking......)

Raelynn
08-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Bees, wasps & hornets - they are so gross, I am deathly afraid of yellowjackets
Clowns/mimes - I don't understand how children can like them

Br00klyn
08-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Birds... All BIRDS!!! :eek:

Inca's Momma
08-26-2004, 07:51 AM
Besides the nasty spiders, I'm afraid of snakes which really sucks because everyday here at work we find a copperhead :eek: And good thing the goose hater doesn't work here because we got a ton of em!

LakeGirl
08-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Bugs in general, but particularly spiders and any flying insects. Ladybugs are nice, but I still don't want them on me. The only other thing is open heights I can fall from, such as ladders or standing on a chair.

About the geese....I'm dying to ask! :lol:

Annie-Rose
08-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Well you asked, but I will know if any of you laugh!!!!
One day when I was a child, my family were staying on my uncles farm. Well he had a gaggle of geese which he said guarded the entrace of the drive up to the farm (you could always hear them honking when cars or people came through.) Because they came right up to you I was always a little bit scared. My brothers thought it was hilarious and teased me about it. Well my brothers (minus my youngest) and 2 cousins all came screaming to me in the yard holding my youngest brother's coat shouting "The geese are eating David!" (Please bear in mind I was a city kid and of a nervous disposition!!!) I became hysterical and ran towards the geese (you see I was really a hero!!!) to rescue him. The gaggle of geese were obviously not eating my 3 year ld brother, nor were they intimidated by me and some started hissing around me and one or two even tried to peck me!!!! My brothers were laughing and as soon as I realised I was not saving any one's life my courage left me. In a panic I jumped into the pond. :( At which point my Father arrived and rescued me!
:rolleyes:

LakeGirl
08-26-2004, 12:09 PM
I think they would make me a little nervous too!

Noticed you are from England...my husband is as well, from Basingstoke! We met via the internet and just celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary :)

lessofsarahtolove
08-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Well you asked, but I will know if any of you laugh!!!!
I am not laughing. You have no witnesses, and nothing you say can prove that I am laughing. Because I am not. I am NOT laughing. Nope. :tape: :no: :tape:

howie6267
08-26-2004, 12:42 PM
I am not laughing. You have no witnesses, and nothing you say can prove that I am laughing. Because I am not. I am NOT laughing. Nope. :tape: :no: :tape:

And if Sarah is not laughing how could I be. You sure we are not in the same family. I have brothers the are just like that. And I was a brother that was just like that.

:tape: :no: :tape: :nose:

lessofsarahtolove
08-26-2004, 12:46 PM
:nose:
Ok, NOW I'm laughing! :rofl:

Annie-Rose
08-26-2004, 06:02 PM
:lol: so am I!!!!!!

howie6267
08-26-2004, 07:44 PM
;) :lol:

Amanda Panda
08-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Now like Apryl and Celina I have a phobia of birds - but mine is a little stranger in that my real phobia is of dead birds (feel sick just writing the words) - and the reason I'm scared of live birds is because I imagine them dead!

Weird I know - my phobia wasn't helped through childhood by my older sisters saying 'I've put a dead bird in your bed'!!! They still find it hilarious to this day!

Love Amanda x

Inca's Momma
08-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Amanda,

I have a dead bird on my back steps that my cats brought me, if you want I can send it to you :lol:

mezmerize
08-27-2004, 11:47 PM
Amanda,

I have a dead bird on my back steps that my cats brought me, if you want I can send it to you :lol:
:chin: :rofl:

Ok here's mine but I'm not sure if it counts as tangible... I'm afraid of Ghost...anything spookie like that. I've had a histroy of my sisters and brother telling me if I was naughty the devil was going to dance under my bed at night. I tried to be good but on the days I wasn't I was very scared... I think it's funny now... well kinda... I still try to be good. hehe
Mez

Annie-Rose
08-28-2004, 05:50 AM
Hello All,
Hmmm bit of a brothers and sisters theme going on here! I'm going to visit one of my brothers today :devil: lets just see if I was going to get revenge what would I do?????
Actually my horrible brothers all grew up into fantastic ones!!!!!!
Lakegirl - so your husband from Basingstoke? I noticed in an earlier post you mentioned Cadburys mmmm!

Goddess Jessica
08-28-2004, 02:27 PM
You people are allllll weird!
I can't believe so many of you are afraid of birds!!! I blame Hitchcock.

I remember my dreams a lot - more than anyone I've ever met. And when I was a kid, my dreams were so real and so disturbing that my parents sent me to a dream therapist to try to get my dreams under control. ANYWAY, the house I lived in had walls made of sliding glass doors and downstairs door that would not lock when you closed it. It was really random. You had to slam it a few times before the lock would catch. I have NO idea why my parents didn't replace this lock. And we lived in the middle of the woods. I couldn't see my closest neighbor in the summer (trees). So, I would have these dreams where some people (terrorist, cults, bad guys) would be trying to get into my house and I couldn't close the door. As a kid, this meant when I woke up, I thought my entire family was dead and I would barricade my bedroom door (by pushing my dresser in front of it) until morning. (My mother's biggest fear was that the house would catch on fire and the firemen wouldn't be able to get through my barricade). So, I still have dreams that people are chasing me and I run into my house and the door won't lock. I would say that is my biggest fear and completely irrational.

Amanda Panda
08-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Kimberlie,

I'm lucky in that my cat is a bit of a connoissuer and prefers mice! ;)

Amanda x