South Beach Diet - Ellis will be MIA for a while :(

View Full Version : Ellis will be MIA for a while :(

Ruthxxx
08-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Ellis called me a few minutes ago to tell me that her Dad's pain has become unmanageable at home and they have moved him to a palliative care facility. Naturally she and her family will be spending as much time as they can with him. She will not be on her computer much for the next while.

Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

1busymomma
08-23-2004, 10:31 PM
:( :( (((((((((((((((((Ellis)))))))))))))))))))))

weezle
08-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Oh no!!!!

:grouphug:

Poor Ellis. :(

smilintwins
08-23-2004, 10:53 PM
{{{{Ellis}}}}

Bunnababy
08-23-2004, 10:58 PM
(((((Ellis)))))

RNMOM
08-24-2004, 02:22 AM
I'll be sending good vibes your way! Hurry back! I need you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cottagebythesea
08-24-2004, 07:22 AM
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Ellis}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}

We're here for you, Sweetie, and praying things get easier.

Mamacita
08-24-2004, 07:39 AM
Ellis, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:

Mamacita

KristinJ
08-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Hey Ellis,

I'm praying for you and your family. Even though it's been 2 years since my Dad passed from colon cancer, I remember it like it was yesterday. Take care of yourself so you can take care of your Dad.

Much love and prayers,
Kristin

justjodi
08-24-2004, 09:15 AM
take care ellis, you and your family are in my prayers. (((((((((ellis)))))))))
xoxox
jodi

beachgal
08-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Ellis, you know you and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers, but especially so now.

Take gentle care of yourself and spend as much time with your fam as you can. Sending lots of strength prayers your way and peace prayers for your dad. :grouphug:

Barb0522
08-24-2004, 09:55 AM
Ruth, If you talk to Ellis again, please tell her she has our prayers and she and her father are in our thoughts.

Ellis, If you read this: you have a big hug :grouphug: from me.

jenne1017
08-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Ellis -- family comes first -- well blood anyway. Remember we're your family too and are here when you come back and whenever you need us!!!

:grouphug:

ellis
08-24-2004, 11:50 AM
You are all such wonderful women. :cry: Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:

I've just popped home briefly to clean up. Mom and I slept at the hospital last night. The doctors are pretty sure that Dad's colon has ruptured, so it's a matter of days... could be today... could be as much as four days. :(
He had a wonderful, drugged-up sleep last night, and I was afraid he wasn't going to wake up again, but he was awake this morning, and in quite good spirits. He's very coherent (except, Ruth, when he informed me that the orange juice he was drinking had come all the way from Sparks Street. snort.) We haven't told him what's going on in his body, but he's very ready and happy to go. He was screaming with the pain yesterday morning at home, and my sweet Dad is normally very tolerant of pain, so it must have been terrifying for him. We wanted him to die at home, but this is working out well... we couldn't have cared for him in this state. The hospital he's in (you know it, Ruthie) is wonderful. Everyone is so nurturing, and no one is in a rush. We had a private family room to sleep in, and were given home made afghans to sleep under.
His doctor chatted with us this morning while he made coffee in the kitchen!

Anyhow, I'm heading back to the hospital... I'm hoping that the end comes quickly, for everyone's sake. Our family has been so very blessed.
Thank you again, dear girls... :grouphug:
I hope to be back soon.

fuzzy324
08-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Ellis--

The hospital that your dad is at sounds like a very caring place. Savor every moment that you can. Sending prayers for peace for you and your loved ones.

Monica

chilichick
08-24-2004, 01:50 PM
My thoughts are with her. My mom is battling terminal esophageal cancer and is in a facilty as well. It is very stressful on the family. I will keep her in my prayers.

HistoryChick
08-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Ellis,
You and your family are in my prayers.

2BFIT1
08-24-2004, 05:01 PM
Ellis, I just got your email and saw your update here today. I pray that your dad will not suffer and that you and your family can stay strong for each other. You are all in my prayers, sweetie. :grouphug:

beachgal
08-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Ellis, I'm so glad he's in a good place. I'm so sorry that he had to go through that pain, but I know you did everything you possibly could to help him. My prayers are with you for peace for him and for you and your mom and sister. :grouphug:

Kiko
08-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Ellis, I am so sorry to hear about your father. You are in my thoughts and prayers, as well as your dad and family.

Islander
08-24-2004, 09:36 PM
((((Ellis)))) Your Dad and family are in my prayers. Take care hon. I'm so very sorry.
Hugs, Patricia

little chick
08-25-2004, 08:01 AM
Ellis take care of yourself and enjoy what time you have with your dad. Hugs to you. I can feel your hurt. I understand what you are going through as I went through some years ago with my step father. I am sending a big hug for your mom as well. And I pray for your dad that it will be a painless as possible.

kvixen
08-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Ellis,

How strong you are being! You must be such a comfort to your mom and family. We are all thinking of you and your father, and are sending many special prayers your way.

ellis
08-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Quickie... This has been the longest week of my life. Dad was ready to "go" yesterday, and we were all very prepared and ready. And then the doctor discovered that he has pneumonia, and that with antibiotics, he might pick up a bit. Sure enough, he has rallied somewhat, and Mom and DS and I are in shock. Dad was really ticked off when he realized he wasn't going to die within days, and the rest of us are mentally and physically exhausted. I'm sure it isn't particularly uncommon for this to happen, but it sure as heck surprised all of us.
Not to be flippant or anything, but today I looked at Dad and thought, "Damn. You look pretty good. When am I ever going to get some sleep?" :lol: Poor darling. I almost feel (well, right this second, anyhow) that I've done my mourning, and now I need to recover. I stupidly got excited thinking about the upcoming weekend, and then realized... there IS no weekend in my life right now. It's the hospital for me... all day... every day. I've never felt so selfish in my life, but then, I've never been this tired before.
We are having some good times together, though. I'm not particularly grateful for this respite... after all, we'd said our goodbyes... but I do believe there's a reason for everything, even though I'm damned if I can see what it is at the moment...
Tomorrow I'm going to tell Dad that if this "recovery thing" happens again, I'm going to put a pillow over his face and finish him off for good. :lol3:
All I really want is my Daddy back. :cry:

I know that some of you have gone through this with family members, and I'm so very sorry. :( I really had no idea what other people were going through until now. It really has to be experienced to be believed, doesn't it.

Chilichick, I'm sorry about your Mom, sweetie. I will keep her (and you and your family) in my prayers. :grouphug:

Thank you again, girls... :grouphug: ... you're the best, and I love all of you...

beachgal
08-27-2004, 09:53 AM
Ellis, your strength is amazing. I know your dad must feel a lot better having you there to cheer him up and make him laugh just like you always do for us! :D

I'm glad your dad is feeling better, but I totally understand your conflicted feelings...I felt that way with both my grandfather and DH's grandfather. It's just so darned hard to see them suffer, and we humans can only handle so much.

Try to get some sleep if you can, Ellis. :grouphug: I hope you guys can all get some rest and eat some good healthy food to give you strength. :goodvibes: Love you, hon.

Barb0522
08-27-2004, 10:37 AM
I do understand what you are going through and I just wish I could give you a real hug! When Mom died of cancer it was so hard. She really was ready to go. She had fought so hard and just couldn't fight any more.

Rest every chance you can get. I know your Dad appreciates having you there.

VTprop
08-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Ellis, Know that we are here for you and your family is in our thoughts and prayers. You all are doing the right thing.

Love and Hope,
Shannon