Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-22-2004, 09:01 PM   #1  

Default Newbie here .. lowww self esteem, mild depression

Hello everyone! I just found these boards tonight while I was trying to find websites with healthy recipes, lifestyle advice, and support groups for people trying to lose weight. I've lost about 60-65 pounds, and kept most of it off (except for maybe 5-10 lbs??) for two years, but I still have another 35-40 pounds I'd like to lose to get to my goal weight of 135-140...my BF, of course, "loves me the way I am", and tells me constantly how he doesn't find "grossly thin" women attractive, and that my body is "perfect" for him. He's also slightly overweight (about 5'11, 210 pounds) and used to be a bodybuilder back in high school & his early 20's, so I know he's been on both sides, and that he really does love me. Unfortunately, I've been through a lot in the last 10 years with my weight, and a few years ago with my ex husband, and it's been tough for me to see myself as beautiful no matter what my BF or anyone says. I'm worried that this will become an obsession for me again like it started to before...while I've never been "aneorexic" or anything, I was on weight watchers for awhile, and noticed that I wouldn't allow myself to eat my full days points ... EVER. If I did eat the full amount or go over, I felt as if I'd failed for the day. I've gotten to the point now, however, where I AM happy with my body...I'm just not happy with the "extra" on my body ... I guess I feel if I tone up and lose the extra weight that I'll feel better about myself .. and while that's true for a lot of women, I want to get to the point where it's for my HEALTH, and not my LOOKS that I'm worried about losing the weight.

I'm sure there are unfortunately many more women out there going through what I am, whether you're only 5-10 lbs overweight, or 150 pounds overweight .. This board seems like a great place to come to for support, and also a great place where I can help others going through what I am by encouraging them with my successes, and also with my "failures" ... my BF doesn't want a "soul sucker" (scale lol) as he calls it in the house, because he's worried that one or both of us might get too worried and start weighing ourselves too often ... I work for my dad one day/week over in the states at his office so I was thinking about just getting a cheap one to keep there, that way I can only weigh myself once/week, but I'm also able to keep up on my progress...If there's anyone out there who has some good ideas, tips, advice, etc., or any success stories that might help, please let me know! If not, then I'm just here saying, Hey! and that I look forward to getting to know you all! lol

Best of luck to you all in your WL journies.
Hockeychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:48 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Hello fellow Ontarian! You've come to the best place on the net for group support.... It's far better than any WW meeting I've ever attended and I've been to a few. At least here you can come any time of day or night and get support... So find yourself a niche and make yourself at home. I hand out at the Ladies Who Lift forum because weight training is my thing. I also think weight training is the best confidence booster in the world because once you feel some of them thar muscles, how can you NOT have confidence? Anywho welcome to our world!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:32 AM   #3  

Default Welcome!

First of all congrats on the weight lost and keeping it off!

Come join us on the daily thread here! Looking forward to getting to know you......this is the best place around!

See you again soon!

Eliz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:53 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

WELCOME !!!!

Thanks for the nice wishes for our wl journey's. And Congratulation on your weightloss, thats TERRIFFIC and INSPIRING

Hope to see you posting more

Hugs, Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:43 AM   #5  

Hello again !! Thank you for your replies. sorry it took me so long to get back to yas ... the past few days have just been a lil crazy and I haven't had a ton of time to get on the computer ... but I'm here now!

Lanaii - well hello fellow ontarian! lol ... my BF actually suggested that I go out and buy a few small weights for now to at least start out with...and I know he'd use them as well, so I'll probably do that soon. I've basically just been doing some crunches, and stretching a bit, and walking a little more if I'm able to...so hopefully I'll be able to get on a schedule with all that soon!! lol

Liz & Leenie - ty both very much for your welcomes!! And your welcome on the well wishes!! lol I know what its like to be going through the WL journey and feel as if you're alone ... I try to keep up with boards that I post on as often as I can, so hopefully I'll be able to be around if you ever have any questions or just need someone to talk to!! when the BF's at work I'm usually on the computer off and on so hopefully I'll see yas around!!

Thanks again ladies!! have a great weekend!
Hockeychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:57 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Sounds good to me Angie !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote