South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 05:07 PM   #1  

Default How to control cravings?

Hi all,

I am the proud new mom of a 12 week old baby girl and I would ideally like to loose about 25 pounds over the next 6 months. I am interested in the SB diet because it seems pretty straightforward (no counting). Also I tend to have very little self control and think I would do better cutting out 'bad' foods (ice cream!) entirely for a while, as opposed to eating in moderation (though I know I'll have to learn to do that eventually).

Anyway, my question is, how on earth do you control your cravings?? I swear I am completely addicted to sugar in all forms - chocolate, baked goods, even fruit. Some days I can only go a few hours before the cravings get too strong. I eat adequate protein and drink a ton of water - I have always been a sugarholic.

I feel really motivated to quit this habit - the 2 week detox sounds just right. But how can I control the cravings? I smoked cigarettes for about 10 years and it was easier to quit nicotine than it is for me to go a day without sugar.

Help! I really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Nandre
Old 08-19-2004, 05:17 PM   #2  

Congratulations on your little one, Nandre! Are you nursing your daughter? The reason I ask is that you should start on Phase 2 if you are nursing.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:21 PM   #3  

Default Yes!

Hi Barb,

Thanks so much for the speedy reply. Yes, I am nursing and must have missed that I should start on Phase II. So I can have 1 sugar/carb a day? Gosh, that makes it harder!! Maybe just cereal in the morning?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Nandre
Old 08-19-2004, 05:31 PM   #4  

Nursing will burn calories and help in your weight loss but you need to make sure you are getting enough carbs (and calcium) so that you and your daughter do not suffer. Please make sure you read the book as well as read the information in the Frequently Asked Questions. I would recommend you check with your doctor too.

In your case, it might be a good idea to switch to healthier carbs without cutting your carbs. Switch to whole wheat bread and tortillas, use brown rice, use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes and switch to reduced fat cheeses. Ask your doctor about what type of milk you should drink. When your daughter gets to be 1 year old and drinks milk, make sure she gets whole milk for the first few years. Increase the amount of vegetables that you eat and try to eliminate the saturated and trans fats. These are all healthy things that should not cause any problems with nursing.

When your daughter is around six months old, she will probably be consuming enough solid food that you may find a need to reduce your calorie count in order to continue to lose (or maintain). I nursed until my son was two years old but I started gaining weight when he was 6 months old since he nursed less.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:59 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Nandre, welcome to the Beach, and congratulations on your little one!

You'll be amazed at how quickly the cravings will pass. I found that within about four days I was no longer having physical cravings. Yes, I still THOUGHT about the bad foods, but I no longer felt that I "needed" them.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:55 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Nandre, please check with your OB/GYN or regular doc before starting SBD to ensure that you are providing the right nutrition to your little one, okay? In another post, we decided as a group that a nursing mother should definitely avoid Phase 1 until they have spoken with their doctor. I haven't seen anything listed in the books about SBD and nursing, so it would be up to a doctor to advise you as to what phase you should be on.

That said, I think it would be tough to control cravings without the detox of Phase 1...so you might need to wait until you are no longer nursing to really get all the benefits.

Congratulations on your new arrival, by the way. :BB:

Nursing can burn 500 calories in a sitting, which is already going to help you lose weight.

In addition, try eating your carbs later in the day. Many people on here (myself included) find that eating them in the morning causes cravings throughout the day. Also, eat your starch with protein. That helps a lot in controlling cravings. Good luck!
Old 08-20-2004, 10:10 AM   #7  

Here is where I found it:
A transcript of our January 13, 2004 live chat with South Beach Diet author Arthur Agatston, MD

Lyoung: I am breastfeeding my 5-month-old baby but want to lose about 60 pounds. Can I do that with the South Beach Diet?

Dr. Agatston: While breastfeeding, we suggest that you consult your obstetrician regarding what he considers a safe rate of weight loss. In general, we suggest starting on Phase 2, the slower weight loss phase. The principle of the South Beach Diet, particularly consuming the good fats, is particularly important both during pregnancy and during breastfeeding. Trans-fats are particularly bad for the growing fetus and for growing babies; omega-3 fish oil is particularly good. Please be aware, however, that certain fish such as tuna and swordfish may contain large amounts of heavy metals and should be limited.
Closed Thread