South Beach Diet - Sugar Free Products

View Full Version : Sugar Free Products

VTprop
08-18-2004, 10:22 AM
As I was wandering the grocery store aimlessly the other day I was amazed by all of the sugar free products out there. There is now sugar free angel food cake, Ashers chocolates, Sans Sucre Mousse Mixes, etc. I know we are supposed to limit sweets, but there are now alot of options. Are there any products that I should definitely steer clear of?
:coffee:
VT

Barb0522
08-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Many of the sugar free products are high in sugar alcohols. Those do a number on my stomach so I try to avoid them. It really comes down to reading labels. Remember, too, that we are trying to avoid processed foods. And you only have 75 calories of sugar-free treats allowed each day.

QuilterInVA
08-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Sugar-free sometimes has more fat to compensate. They also keep your cravings alive and growing. I'd definitely make them only a special occasion treat.

beachgal
08-18-2004, 11:55 AM
VT, you really need to read the ingredients. Try to stay away from most sugar alcohols, if possible, stay away from anything that has the word "hydrogenated" in it, and also from those things that induce cravings in you.

SBD is all about eating foods that are not processed, and trying to have them in a sugar free form, in my opinion, can mess with all that you are learning. See if you can find some other things to eat that satisfy you but are not processed. For instance, having the chocolate dipped strawberries instead of a brownie. You know? I bet that you'll feel much better if you stay away from frankenfoods. :yes:

loosenit
08-18-2004, 12:32 PM
I like the term "Frankenfoods"............. as it really is weird science that produces them. :dizzy: