100 lb. Club - Unexpected Results of Weight Loss

View Full Version : Unexpected Results of Weight Loss

Sheila53
08-17-2004, 04:51 PM
So I was thinking about all the little things that have happened because I've lost weight and wondered if other people experienced these "unexpected" things, too--the kinds of things you don't think about happening when you start your weight loss journey. I can't say all of them are good, but they're interesting to think about.

*My wedding ring fell off, had it resized, and now it's too big again.
*I get cold a lot easier.
*I spend a lot more money on clothing.
*People treat me differently.

Now, I can't decide if that last one is because I behave differently, or because people are noticing me more. I don't remember ever having clerks and other shoppers talk to me as much as they do now. Before I was just the invisible middle-aged fat woman, I guess. Or am I more outgoing as the weight comes off? That one's a puzzle. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has noticed people being more friendly as the weight comes off.

lessofsarahtolove
08-17-2004, 04:59 PM
This is great, Sheila! Really interesting. A couple of things come to mind immediately, but I know there's more, so I'm going to give this some thought and then report back. :)

rochemist
08-17-2004, 05:18 PM
I wear jeans (check out my new profile pic! :) )
I am nicer so people are nicer (part of this is letting God into my life)
I still have plenty of "fat" days, but sometimes I feel pretty.
I am cold all the time.
I only have 1 ring that fits and its not my wedding ring.
My kiddo can wrap his whole arms around me when he hugs me.
I let people hug me and touch me.
I let people take my picture.
There are more, but this is a ODAT journey :D

Chris

tolose85
08-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Shelia-- My list is identical to yours! My rings are barely staying on. I don't want to get them resized just yet.. I went from a size 8 ring finer ring to a size 6! Like I said they are BARELY hanging on..

I am cold all the time... It's totally wierd how those extra pounds insulate you!

I spend lotsa money on the clothing.. Matter of fact I need to go buy more!

I do notice more guys lookin my way these days.

I like my picture to be taken. I no longer hide behind someone! I'm right out in front!

I am not so out of breath after a little exertion

I can shop in the Junior section

ohhh... there are sooooo many things...

I'll stop here ... for now anyway!

Ivanna B. Skinny
08-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Funny one: DH is "in the mood" more often!!
(Sorry if thats too much information! :o )

mezmerize
08-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Funny one: DH is "in the mood" more often!!
(Sorry if thats too much information! :o )

I have a couple thing I'd like to type to your post. :rofl: :rofl: And
:cheer: :cheer:
Mez

rochemist
08-17-2004, 11:43 PM
My eyes still close when I smile too big, but I got cheekbones. Come and laugh with me!

DH? Well I will leave that to the imagination :devil:
Chris

Sheila53
08-18-2004, 12:11 AM
Tee hee!!

Love the pic in your profile, too. You look fantastic!

So what is that beautiful piece of furniture behind you? I kept trying to see what the books were on the floor, too. Just snoopy, I guess. :)

tolose85
08-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Chris... You look wonderful!!!

Sandi
08-18-2004, 10:08 AM
Chris - you look great!! I LOVE the picture of you laughing too!!! You rock!!! :D

rochemist
08-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Tee hee!!

Love the pic in your profile, too. You look fantastic!

So what is that beautiful piece of furniture behind you? I kept trying to see what the books were on the floor, too. Just snoopy, I guess. :)

Piles and piles of OA literature, The Dance by Oriah Mountain Dreamer (check out the poety on her web site), Yoga magazines, My Journal/Step work, and the one thing that would piss my sponsor off Muscle and Fitness Hers, and of course my workout log another thing my sponsor and I are going rounds about. Darn I am rebellious lately :lol:

Chris

howie6267
08-18-2004, 04:13 PM
My ring fell off in the shower today for the first time. WOOOO HOOOO!!!

Br00klyn
08-18-2004, 09:06 PM
Chris - You look HOT! ;)

Howie - A ring just falling off is HUGE! Now we just need for your clothes to fall off... Oh dear, I didn't mean it to sound like that.. but i'm sure you know what I mean :lol: I want my clothes to fall off too.

howie6267
08-18-2004, 09:12 PM
WELL! That did catch my attention but at last I do know what you mean. LOL

lessofsarahtolove
08-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Howie and Celina -- you guys are funny -- :p

I'm just over a third of the way through my journey, so I'm sure I'm going to encounter a lot more surprising changes along the way, but these are some things I've noticed so far:

I always used to be ROASTING, and now I'll suddenly feel so cold!
I can scratch my feet while driving my car! (Odd, I know, but it seems to come up a lot! :dizzy: )
I can turn around in the seat more easily now while driving, so I find it easier to back up, pull out, switch lanes, etc.
I'm so much lighter on my feet now -- I hop up on curbs, run up steps, etc...I'm not just more agile, I actually FEEL LIGHTER! (I didn't think about that.)
My earlobes are thinner!
Definitely the ring thing....Soon I'll need to get my commitment ring resized -- I would just die if I lost it!
My feet shrank!
My lap is bigger, so I hold my animals on my lap differently now!
It's easier to carry the laundry basket -- and everything else, for that matter!
Soooooo much less back pain -- it's not eliminated, but it's greatly reduced. (I expected relief eventually, but not this soon.)
I don't retain water all the time like I did.
I smile a lot more now, and I am much more like the old Sarah
I don't stand as still when I'm standing now; I move around more (shake the butt, dance, etc.)
No more huffing and puffing from simple exertion, THANK GOD!
I'm flirting more, and just generally feel more self-confident

I'm sure I'm missing something, but already I've put down more than I'd expected to!

artist
08-19-2004, 01:32 AM
Hmmm, this one has made me think.......OK some of mine are:

- I run for the bus/train
- I enjoy clothes shopping
- I am more sexually active (or is that too much information?!)
- I am more confident, and more relaxed
- I have made some great new friends at my local support group

So it is definitely worth it!

barbygirl43
08-19-2004, 04:17 PM
My wedding ring spins on my finger (plan on getting one of those rubber sizers for now until I'm done losing weight)

I get more and more people telling me they can tell I've lost weight

I actually enjoy walking.

I can cross my legs again. I know it's bad for you but I don't do it for long periods. I'll just be glad when I can cross them all the way.