Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-12-2004, 11:05 PM   #1  
Look at me go ;)

Question How to tone?

Hi everyone.

I could really use some help learning how to tone my body up. I can't afford to join a gym or buy expensive equipment. What can I do? I have the cardio stuff down but the only thing I really have for toning is a butt & thigh rocker.

I need to figure out what to do for the rest of my body, especially my arms and back!

Please help!
Cinnymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:01 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Cinny,
Is it possible that you could try to find cheaper alternatives to a gym? A recreation center or a YMCA are generally quite a bit cheaper. If not, you could do it at home by investing in some dumbbells.

A couple good websites for a variety of exercises are http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html and http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

I hope this helps.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:09 AM   #3  
Look at me go ;)

I live way on the edge of town so there really isn't one close by. Plus I don't really have the money for them right now.

I do have some yoga and pilates tapes, and the ball but I borrowed them and haven't looked into them yet. Are they good for toning?

I plan on investing in a weight set, just not right now. What about resistance bands? I think I might be able to borrow one of the ones that goes over the door? It came with my mom's 6 week body makeover kit.

This is all very new to me. I know I need to get out there and move to get the weight off, which is what I have been doing, but I am afraid I will lose all this weight and have skin hanging everywhere and look worse then I did when I was fat!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:20 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The ball is good for a few things, especially crunches. I don't have any exercises for resistance bands but you might be able to find something online, try searching through google.

A good inner thigh exercise can be done with the ball. If you lay on the floor and put the ball between your thighs, squeeze for 5 seconds or longer, then relax. Repeat.

There is a similar hamstring exercise you can do with the ball. Lay on the floor, and put your heels on the ball and then press into the ball with your heels lifting your butt slightly off the floor, hold that for 5 seconds or so, then relax.

Squats can be done with the ball if you put the ball between you and the wall with your feet out as far as possible (Make sure that your feet aren't under your knees). Then lower your body as far as possible then return to your original position.

You could also do pushups on the floor or with the help of the ball.

Your options are probably limited without weights but these are some things you can do. Definitely read over the stuptuous website, it is a good resource.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:25 AM   #5  
Look at me go ;)

Thanks for the info. I am already reading that stuptous site, I think I am hooked
Old 08-13-2004, 08:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have 2 lb dumbellls, $1: 5 lb dumbells $2: ankles weights $13 and an ab-roller thing that was $10.
My friend does an abdominal thing with a full bottle of ketchup. She lays flat on her back with her knees crooked up and raises the bottle from behind her head until her abdomen and the backs of her arms 'feel like it' then she holds and repeats.
Lots of folks use cans too.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote