Old 08-12-2004, 08:46 AM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Answer Me This...

My question is: How do you stay on this WOE if you're a picky eater or not a very adventurous one?

Last edited by lady_adnerb; 08-12-2004 at 02:06 PM.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:33 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Brenda, that would be my Husband you are describing. He is at goal, so what he does is he is 100% OP monday - saturday night, then saturday night he has a carb meal or cake and sunday he might have a treat but he pretty much stays at it 2 out of 3 meals during the weekend.

He just says to himself, he will have a treat then and not before.

I wish I was like that.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:50 PM   #3  
Look at me go ;)

I honestly don't think I COULD stay on this WOE if I was picky, or unadventurous. I don't like the same thing in and out without variety. Unless you are someone who thrives on routine and could enjoy the same foods, which I am not, I might look into something else. I think LC has a ton of food to enjoy. I find it the most UN-restricting WOE I have tried when it comes to taste. However, you have to be able to get out there and try new things.

If you just want the norm, which for most people includes the things we can't have like bread, pasta, potatos, a wide variety of fruit, then I would probably do something like WW. This way I could learn portion control and how to choose heathy choices that way.

*I* don't think I could do LC if I was that way, BUT that is just MY OPINION of ME. In no way am I telling you to go do something else That is a personal decision you would have to make. Not everything works for every person as a lifetime choice.
Cinnymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:08 PM   #4  
Head Princess

I think it's more learned than anything. I was always a picky eater and it never occured to me to be adventurous until I started this WOE. What has held true for DH and me is that tastes change. Just because you didn't like it before doesn't mean you won't like it now. Try it again. Try it a new way. Experiment. You'll surprise yourself!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:11 PM   #5  
Baby Steps

I've tried WW....it didn't work cuz I was always hungry. lol. Guess I need to just TRY more stuff. Maybe stay with the same type of meat choices..just add something new to try (that way if I don't like it I still have food to eat.) Maybe a variety added to my diet would make me stay OP more? Food for thought
Old 08-12-2004, 02:32 PM   #6  

I am the worlds pickiest eater! My DH will agree. I am definitely not adventursome when it comes to food either.

But still this WOE works for me in spite of that. I like meat, I can have meat. I like cheese etc, I can have cheese. I love salads, I can have salads with full fat dressings to boot!

I just try to be as advventursome as I can within the bounds of this WOE.

I admit if I liked other foods like fish and more veggies I would have an easier time at it. But that would also hold true for other diet plans as well.
And I was ALWAYS hungry on WW.
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:47 PM   #7  
Head Princess

If I remember correctly, Brenda, one of the things you struggle with is veggies, right?

DH is not a veggie fan outside of potatoes and corn. This was a problem. One of the nice things about this WOE is the ways you can substitute healthier veggies for the ones you think you prefer. I've been doing this to DH for a while now. Thanks to the low carb versions of clam chowder and fried 'rice', he now eats cauliflower. Thanks to stirfry, he'll eat broccoli and bamboo. He's a southern boy and I discovered by accident that I can get him to eat zuchinni if I coat it in parmasean cheese and pan fry it. He thinks it tastes like fried okra. He still won't touch asparagus, but he'll eat a spinach salad now.

The recipe section of atkins.com has been especially helpful in giving me ideas of how to incorporate things that he or I don't think we like into our food and discover that we actually do like it. Give it a shot!
Old 08-12-2004, 03:55 PM   #8  
Baby Steps

Thanks for all the advice. I've got to admit I'm limiting myself on what I can and can't eat. And I think I need to start adding variety just to spice things up a little--hence the tacos for supper I also like quick, easy recipes that don't take long to make. I used to love eating salads..until I couldn't find the type of salad dressing (french of course) I liked. Some of the other stuff is pretty blah. So next time I'm at the store I'm going to ask if they can order it. I can't fingure out how to order it online. Figured it'd be easier if they could just order it. But I need to get my book out and see what else in there I think sounds good and then make that for supper. I can now eat broccoli and cauliflower (boiled) and w/butter on it--so my tastes HAVE changed. So guess I'll just have to take a day a week to find something new to make and if I don't like it? There's always hot dogs right?
Old 08-12-2004, 04:01 PM   #9  
Head Princess

Brenda - what sort of things do you like? Give us a list of ideas and I bet we can come up with all sorts of ideas for you!
Old 08-12-2004, 04:48 PM   #10  
Look at me go ;)

Star that parm zuchinni sounds great! I'm going to have to try that.
Cinnymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:07 PM   #11  
Head Princess

It's really easy. Just slice up some zuchinni into rounds. Then dip them in some beaten eggs and then toss with your parmesan cheese mixture (I use grated parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and pepper). Then you can either pan or deep fry them. DH likes to dunk them in Ranch when they're done.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:15 AM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Dressings get to me too. If I make a salad like Taco, the only thing I'll add is sour cream as a dressing b/c the taco meat has seasoning in it already.

Same like a warm chicken salad, I'll spice up the chicken real good, cook it and toss it in the salad and throw a dab of sour cream in it.

What I've been doing lately is having lettuceless salads. I was getting pretty sick of lettuce, so I make a huge salad with any kind of meat, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, flavored soy beans (anything you like) and throw a table spoon of dressing on it (instead of 2 tablespoons b/c w/out the lettuce you don't need as much).
Old 08-13-2004, 09:21 AM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Brenda do you like Potato Salad ?

If so, take frozen cauliflower (fresh is to mushy), cook it just a little (do not make it mushy), and make potato salad using cauliflower. Its really good !! and different. I like to keep it in the frig over night when I'm done, this way the flavors really mingle, but it can be eaten right away or a few hours later. I'm getting hungry now. lol

This is how I make it.

Cauliflower (2 bags frozen)
Helmans Mayo (just a big ol heaping spoon full - big spoon, but eye it and you can always add more as you go)
Salt & Pepper
Very fine chopped onion (just a little bit, not alot) like one slice chopped
and then !!
Dill Pickle juice... yes mix some of that in. You see it has seasoning in it and vinegar and makes the potato/cauliflower salad really yummy !!!
Bacon - you can crumble bacon in it if you'd like.
Toss everything lightly because you don't want to smash it !!

(when I make real potato salad I use sweet pickle juice OMG !!!)
Old 08-13-2004, 09:37 AM   #14  
Baby Steps

Ok...where'd the list of stuff I liked go??? Grr!!! I printed out the "potato salad" recipe and next time I have a chance (next week?) I'm hoping to make it to try it. Thanks!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 10:54 AM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

It can't hurt to try it, make a small batch and if you don't like it you can toss it w/out guilt.

There's a broccoli salad I make also that is to die for, I can stuff that down my cake hole all day long and its raw broccoli which I never though I'd eat in my life.

Experiment baby experiment !!!