PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-11-2004, 08:46 AM   #1  

Question Got PCOS

Hi,

I've been diagnosed with PCOS for 2 years or so. First of all they put me on the pill but I had to stop because it was giving me migraines. Then I was on metformin, which is for diabetics, although I'm not one and it didnt work anyway. Now I'm on nothing. They say if I want the operation to pop the cysts I have to lose weight, Which is a difficult thing. never mind that the results of the operation only last for two years. I am on other drugs for depression and being calm. Being depressed isnt conducive for loosing weight.

sharon.x.
has anyone else had any luck?
irralee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:03 PM   #2  
Rattie Lover

Welcome, Sharon!!

Glad to see you here!!

I have had the surgery...and I can say that it has done wonders!!! If you have the right doctor and get the cysts cauterized and ovaries cauterized, then it should be a permanent surgery..not useless after 2 yeas. If they just go in and pop the cysts and do nothing else, then yes, the surgery might as well be a waste of time because there's no cauterization to keep them from growing back.

Feel free to join us in our monthly chat thread!! We'd enjoy having your company. Here is a quick link...Just click on it to get there.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44341
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:42 PM   #3  
Swimming Mouse

Hi, Sharon.
Sounds like you've might be on the same roller coaster I'm on. They're not entirely sure what I have, since I keep developing other hormones that don't work, beyond the PCOS-type stuff, and I have no cysts and never had any kind of cycle. But, weight loss is the big thing and its REALLY REALLY hard.
Are there any kinds of exercise you like to do? I like the water, so I decided to swim. Of course, starting tomorrow, I get to add something land-based to it, because my doctor won't leave me alone... She's a good person though, and watches out for me. We belong to the same gym, although I didn't know it when I joined.
Anyway, find something you LIKE to do, and do it. I went through the mill with the glucophage... it made me really sick. It was horrid... I was throwing up all the time (hmmm, not that different from what Im doing now, but for a different reason!), and wearing my winter coat in my hot classroom in June!
Take Noodles' advice: come join us on the monthly chat thread. I have described my whole journey/story more times than I can count here, and there's another recent post about it.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:38 AM   #4  

Talking

What a lovely warm welcome! thanks
It is my very first time on a forum and I've been using the internet for 7 years! Forgive me as I'm a little shy. I'll start talking more when I get used to things.
As for excerise I'm finding it very difficult to leave the house with this weight problem, I don't like ppl seeing my fatness. Although I can go out when I'm with someone.
I accidently found 3fatchicks when I was looking for fruit smoothies receipes on google! and I'm very glad I did. A place where ppl talk about that unspoken subject and much more..
I'm looking @ the monthly chat thread, I'll see u there!
love Sharon.x.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:02 PM   #5  
Swimming Mouse

Oh, Sharon! I'm there too. I get so tired of the looks and comments from people. You'd think I had a permanent cold sore on my face or I had 3 heads. And yes, I had the same issues with exercise. It was really a chore to go do it, although I started doing it more regularly when I lived in Virginia 2 years ago. Before that there was a space where I didn't do anything at all (except train my kids for Special Olympics swimming, so I was in the pool, but it wasn't concentrated laps). Before that, I didn't weigh this much.
I got very lucky where I am now, and found a gym that is run in part by a local hospital system. There are people of all shapes and sizes at my gym... from members of the Ravens Football team who train there off-season, to senior citizens who can barely walk, people who use wheelchairs, and people who are my size or larger. There are special programs for arthritis, pregnant people, etc. When I hurt my ankle again this spring, I did my physical therapy at the gym too... and once I was released from the PTs, they hooked me up with a personal trainer again who started me off today on some weights and recumbent bike in addition to swimming. I really like going there, because most of the time nobody looks at me twice. And if they are, its more likely they are looking at me because I have to use both hands to pick up my left leg and put it on the bike or on the weight machine due to my nerve damage and not because of my size. I see you're in Britain, so I'm not sure, but maybe there are similar gyms near you? Before I found this place I went to at least 5-6 other gyms... Bally's was just horrible to me, and I couldn't even walk into the Gold's gym here because there were a bunch of powerlifters from my work there.

Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:10 AM   #6  

Sorry for taking so long in replying. In a way it's good to know that there are other ppl who have the same problems as I do! My partner and I have started the South Beach Diet! It's great but somewhat expensive. We both had headaches and I felt really tired for the frist 3 days but now I feel great! I need to lose 7 st and my partner (Andy) needs to lose 2 st.